Cauliflower Comes Calling

by HEAB on April 13, 2011

I have a love/hate relationship with cauliflower. I love it, but I often can’t stop eating it, and then my stomach gets very upset with me. Can’t stop eating cauliflower? Really Heather? Yep, it’s true. Roast it in coconut oil in a cast iron skillet with salt and pepper. 425℉ for about 45 minutes, and then I dare you to try and stop eating it too.

Totally channeling Katie and Emilia with this meal. Love you girls. 🙂

That was yesterday’s lunch, consisting of roasted cauliflower, cooked quinoa mixed with Love Street Living Foods raw cacao and vanilla powder and topped with coconut butter. I then proceeded to douse the entire bowl in the world’s best cinnamon. You know you can also roast the green stems of the cauliflower, right? They get all crispy – so good and my favorite part!

Instead of eating the entire head of cauliflower for lunch (I learned never to do that again after this post), I saved some of the leftovers for dinner…

Alongside my cauliflower, I ate 2 eggs scrambled with 1 strip of cooked bacon, mushrooms, onions and spinach, and roasted sweet potato slices. Instead of cinnamon, I covered everything in HEABified ketchup (canned tomato sauce + pinch of stevia + water to thin). Yesterday, I felt like a bottomless pit, but this meal finally did the trick. It’s always the savory meals that do it for me.

Time to get some sunshine in my life. Summer and I have a walking date with my friend Molly and her baby girl, Lillian. Hope you all enjoy some roasted cauliflower soon!

Jen April 17, 2011 at 9:44 pm

I have no willpower at all when it comes to brocolli and cauliflower. You would think that spending my nights hunched over in pain would be enough for me to break the habit, but each night I do it again. I literally have to ask my boyfriend/mom/dad/sister etc to move the veggies out of my sight or I will finish them before anyone else has the opportunity to take a bite.

Sarah April 14, 2011 at 4:37 pm

I think I have the same problem that you do except it is with squash. I love eating it but my tummy disagrees. This recipe looks so good, I think I may have to try it!

Kath (My Funny Little Life) April 14, 2011 at 4:21 pm

As soon as I’ve finished off the asparagus, I’ll tackle the cauliflower! I haven’t eaten it a lot recently and now I realize how much I love and miss it.

Savory meals as well for me when I get the “bottomless” feeling! Sweet meals don’t satisfy me so well, although a nice mug of tea with cream, enjoyed after a (savory) meal if I’m still a little hungry, sometimes does the trick as well.

Miava April 14, 2011 at 12:37 pm

I didn’t know you could put a cast iron skillet in the oven?! Do you oil the entire inside of the skillet or just the bottom. Does it smoke (hot oil smoke?) Also, do u need to stir or turn the cauliflower half way through roasting? And just two more questions: 1) can I use ghee r does it have a high burn like butter,? and 2) do I have to use the “roast” option on my oven r should I just use bake?

Ah…. I don’t mean to be such a kitchen dunce, but I’d like to do it right.

Thanks!

HEAB April 14, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Miava,
Nope, no need to oil the entire skillet. I always keep a coat of butter, coconut oil, or ghee on the bottom to keep it in good condition. So, when I roast my cauliflower, I just toss the cauli in, and plop some coconut oil + seasonings on top and then give it a good stir once or twice throughout cooking. Ghee works just fine, and my oven doesn’t have a roasting option, just “bake”…so, not sure on that one, but worth a try. Enjoy! 🙂

HEAB April 14, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Oh, and I’ve never experienced a smoking problem unless the skillet is dry. If it’s seasoned well, I don’t think it should burn or smoke.

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner April 14, 2011 at 10:34 am

i love roasted cauliflower!! 😀 Oh my gosh! But I don’t think I have ever roasted it in COCONUT OIL!!! Heather, you are a genius. 🙂

kate@ahealthypassion April 14, 2011 at 9:49 am

I loveee cauliflower but always run out of ways to fix it… definitely need to roast asap!

Monica April 14, 2011 at 9:25 am

Haha, I go through my phases with vegetables like that too. One day I sat down and hate half a head of cabbage because I thought it tasted so amazing. I have done the same with brussels, bok choy……you just can’t resist a mean tasting veggie. 😉

Hannah April 13, 2011 at 11:50 pm

As someone who also periodically suffers from the horrible malaise of cauliflower addiction, I have some advice to aid your recovery:

1. Buy a cauliflower, only to discover it’s riddled with wriggly green worms.
2. Go to shops to buy more a few days later, and discover that all cauliflowers are brownish-and soft.
3. Have cauliflower start to cost $6 for a small head for months on end.

Ta-daa! Cauliflower obsession thwarted!

Ellie@fitforthesoul April 13, 2011 at 8:55 pm

heather that does sound good! I probably shouldn’t eat it if I’m at work or something though 😛

Kelly Michelle April 13, 2011 at 8:55 pm

I know EXACTLY what you mean about eating the whole head of roasted cauliflower…… but wanted to say thanks for the tip on roasting that green part, I had no idea, I always just toss it, not anymore!

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 13, 2011 at 7:55 pm

I love that you cover your food in ketchup like I do 🙂

I need some cauliflower in my life, poor veg has been pushed aside in favor of brussels and broccoli! 😛

Anita April 13, 2011 at 7:31 pm

I completely understand. I ate an entire head of baked garlic once at a restaurant. Never will I do that again.

Erin @ Big Girl Feats April 13, 2011 at 7:25 pm

My Dude made curried cauliflower last night and it was so delicious! Even better the second day. I could eat sweet potatoes allll dayy.

Katie April 13, 2011 at 6:58 pm

I couldn’t agree more that savory meals are what finally fill me up. I can eat sweets all day and not get full.

I had no idea you could eat the stems, but it makes perfect sense.

Westbrae makes an unsweetened ketchup – I just ate some on kabocha fries for the first time today, and its really good.

Pure2raw Twins April 13, 2011 at 6:24 pm

I have the same problem with cauliflower that is why I rarely buy it anymore because I can’t stop eating it and then my tummy hates me haha. We also like using cauliflower as our base for raw rice with coconut butter it is heavenly and usually my tummy does ok but other times it does not… oh the joys of my weird stomach!

zoe (and the beatles) April 13, 2011 at 6:20 pm

ohmygod i totally have the same issue with carrots! so hard to stop eating! and you know, now that i think about it, cauliflower is a culprit too! they’re just so good 🙂

Serena April 13, 2011 at 6:18 pm

I’ve never actually really eaten cauliflower. I’ve tried it raw, but it didn’t strike me as that good. Maybe your way will taste better?

melissa @ the delicate place April 13, 2011 at 5:44 pm

this totally happened to me on sunday…i must have eaten 1lb of cauli rice?!!! my stomach was bloated for 2 days…yikes.

Baking 'n' Books April 13, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Broccoli is worst…but I still eat it every night 😉

Yep, what I’ll do to myself in the name of vegetables. And your right – roast or saute ANYthing and it tastes like candy!

I don’t see any eggs on that plate?! 🙂

Susan April 13, 2011 at 5:13 pm

I am so with you on roasted cauliflower. So good, yet so bad…

My favorite way to roast it is with oil, salt, and nutmeg. Weird, but it works!

Alexandra (Veggin' Out in the Kitchen) April 13, 2011 at 5:04 pm

I absolutely adore raw cauliflower (when my friends tell my it tastes like cardboard, I get rather offensive 😉 ), but I’ve never tried it roasted! Time to change that 🙂

And don’t worry, I also have no will power when it comes to cauliflower 😉

Emilia April 13, 2011 at 4:28 pm

PPS– i still need to try that vietnamese cinnamon! As you know, I’m a cinnamon monster and pour it on just about everything. Or you can just send me some, hehe 😉 No but really- i’ve been eyeing that cinnamon online since you showed me the link!

HEAB April 13, 2011 at 4:35 pm

Emilia,
Yeah, I wish. I don’t even order it for myself. It was a gift from MIL. Our grocery budget does not include online food orders, and it’s totally cramping my taste buds. 😉

I have tried cauli rice but never with coconut butter or tahini. Will be doing that very soon!

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free April 13, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Cauliflower rocks!!!!! But I totally understand what you mean about it hurten the tummy…..ugh…..why does it have to do that? Why??!!!

Emilia April 13, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Hahaha, I totallyyyy do the same thing! In fact, I made a batch of indian- spiced roasted cauliflower recently and could NOT stop eating it. Let’s just say I finished off the whole batch in a mere 24 hours. Glad I’m not the only one to get stomach aches from eating too many veggies:)
Have you tried cauliflower rice (blending raw cauliflower in vita mix)? OMG, you’ll love it! Esp yummy with coconut butter or tahini in it 🙂
THanks for you sweet shout- out! xoxo

Heather @ kissmybroccoli April 13, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Love roasted cauliflower, but I never knew that the green stalk was also edible! It totally akes sense though…same as broccoli…duh! I’m with you, savory meals are always the ones that fill me up more! Hope you enjoyed your walk in the beautiful weather I HEAR we’re having! (I’m still stuck in the hospital!) Boo!

Heather @ kissmybroccoli April 13, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Love roasted cauliflower, but I never that the green stalk was also edible! It totally akes sense though…same as broccoli…duh! I’m with you, savory meals are always the ones that fill me up more! Hope you enjoyed your walk in the beautiful weather I HEAR we’re having! (I’m still stuck in the hospital!) Boo!

Heather @ Girlyeverafter April 13, 2011 at 2:58 pm

I’ve never tried coconut oil, but I keep reading about it and feel like it’s time for me to jump on the bandwagon!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) April 13, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Roasted cauli with coconut oil sounds amazing! I have roasted just about everything else w/ coconut oil but never cauli. I need to change that. Soon!

I love cauli too. Soooo much! I have to cut myself off b/c too much is just, well, fiber overload and not the best thing. But it tastes soooooo good going down. I mean, I love it too. Serious passion for it but my tummy and yours are probably very similar with it and easy does it is the name of the game for me 🙂

Have fun on your walking meetup!

Angel7 April 13, 2011 at 2:33 pm

I need to buy more cauliflower. I never would have thought to put raw cacao, vanilla powder, and cinnamon on it, but I am willing to try anything and be spontaneous.

The ketchup you made sounds much better than the store-bought.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) April 13, 2011 at 2:13 pm

I almost always eat the entire head of cauliflower in one sitting. I LOVE it! That is my kind of meal. Have fun in the sunshine!

Christin@purplebirdblog April 13, 2011 at 1:43 pm

It has honestly been WAY too long since I’ve had any roasted cauliflower!! I really need to get to the store 🙂

Jill April 13, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Oh, I’m so glad you said that about eating so much cauliflower. Occasionally I get like that too with certain veggies. It’s like they just taste so good to me that I keep crunching away (I think this usually comes AFTER the serious chocolate/baked goods consumption days). For me it’s purple cabbage, sugar snap peas, organic raw carrots (they’re so much sweeter than regular!) and occasionally celery that I can just keep eating. It’s good that someone else shares this quirk 🙂

HEAB April 13, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Jill,
Oh my gosh, I love purple cabbage, but I think I just really like the color it adds to my plate more than anything else. It’s so pretty. 🙂

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather April 13, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Roasted cauliflower is my favorite! I eat an entire head each time… Luckily my stomach hasn’t been upset with me yet.

Mimi (Gingersnaps) April 13, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Please excuse the drool. Wow, that sounds lovely!

Your hubby’s b-day made me think of something. You mentioned he tended toward paleo. I was just curious if you were ever going to post about his favorite eats? Judging from your meals together, it didn’t sound like he was totally hardcore about it. If that’s all private, please forgive me — I was just curious.

HEAB April 13, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Mimi,
No, I don’t mind sharing CD’s eats at all. I’ve done a few posts on his food in the past, but his eating has changed quite a bit since then. I’ll post another day of his eats soon. He definitely has paleo tendencies, but he’s not super strict about it.

P.S. Did you listen to any of those debates you told me about? I didn’t listen but I always read the summary the following day. Interesting stuff – thanks for sharing the info with me!

Marina April 13, 2011 at 1:07 pm

I love cauliflower, but I know how painful too much of it can be 😀

Jen @ Keepitsimplefoods April 13, 2011 at 12:59 pm

I’m a big fan of cauliflower. I’m also a big fan of that blue bowl/ bucket thingy. So cute!

HEAB April 13, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Thanks Jen. It was a gift from my mom a few years ago. I think she got it from the Sur La Table catalog. I love it too. It came as part of a set of three, and it’s the medium sized bowl. My smallest one recently cracked. It was a very sad day in my life. 🙁

Natalia - a side of simple April 13, 2011 at 12:42 pm

I can’t believe your homemade ketchup mix!! I’ve seriously been doing the same exact thing lately because I’m going through ketchup bottles like there’s a shortage or something (probably because I’m buying so much…) Love it, Heather!

Cauliflower has always skeeved me out. It’s one of those foods like mushrooms that the texture just bothers me 🙁

HEAB April 13, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Natalia,
Love making my own “ketchup”. It’s so easy and I like being in control of the sweet and salty input. Great minds think alike, no? 🙂

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope April 13, 2011 at 12:37 pm

I LOVE steamed cauiflower and raw on occasion too! But it’s one of the foods that I can only handle so much of. This dish looks incredible though!

Holly @ The Runny Egg April 13, 2011 at 12:17 pm

I love roasted cauliflower! I’ve never tried the stalks though.

Your dinner looks great too — I need to try HEABified ketchup!

chocolate-covered katie April 13, 2011 at 11:58 am

HEAB! I ate way way too much cauliflower the other day, and I totally thought of you and the post you linked to (the monster mash). Why do we love cauliflower so much when it’s so mean to us? Methinks this is an abusive relationship… but oh, you are right: it just tastes so good! 🙂
Love u!!!

HEAB April 13, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Katie,
Will we ever learn? NO – it’s too good!
Love you too. 🙂

Melissa B. April 13, 2011 at 11:51 am

Mmmm, love roasted cauliflower with coconut oil!

I was a bottomless pit yesterday, too. What’s up with that?

Meghan @ StruggleMuffins April 13, 2011 at 11:50 am

Very intriguing mixture you got going on there, I’ll have to add it to my ‘recipes to try’ list!

tea-bag April 13, 2011 at 11:23 am

i looooove roasted cauliflower dusted w/ salt, pepper, & a little stevia. sounds weird but so good.

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate April 13, 2011 at 11:08 am

I LOVE roasted cauliflower. So good!

Kristina @ spabettie April 13, 2011 at 11:07 am

mmm, I love cauliflower too. in college my dinner was roasted cauli and broccoli with salmon – I was boring – EVERY day! 🙂 I need to try it with coconut oil, sounds so good..

HEAB April 13, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Kristina,
Ha, much better than my college mac & cheese or Taco Bell!

Devi April 13, 2011 at 11:01 am

Consuming an entire head of roasted cauliflower is a regular occurrence around here. My kids devour it. I roast mine in coconut oil too, but season it with curry powder, salt, and plenty of pepper. Cauliflower and curry were made for each other.

HEAB April 13, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Devi,
Roger that – will add curry next time. 🙂

Carolyn April 13, 2011 at 11:00 am

cauliflower…crucifer-ouch!

love it.. it hates me…

yours looks very yummy!

HEAB April 13, 2011 at 11:05 am

Carolyn,
Last night’s dinner = my phone call to you this morning. 😉

Steph - VegFortWorth April 13, 2011 at 10:51 am

Yum! Now I want to eat a big ol’ head of roasted cauliflower!

Emily Elizabeth @ Kisses for Breakfast April 13, 2011 at 10:51 am

I love roasted cauliflower too. You may have just diagnosed some of my digestive issues… 🙂 I like roasting it with coconut oil, cinnamon and salt along with cubed sweet potato and lots of chopped onion. Mmm.

“Roast it in coconut oil in a cast iron skillet with salt and pepper. 425℉ for about 45 minutes”

Only you could post a recipe in under 20 words. I love that about you!

HEAB April 13, 2011 at 11:05 am

Haha – thanks Emily. I prefer to keep things short and simple! 🙂

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) April 13, 2011 at 10:50 am

Roasting in the cast iron.. never thought of that! Sounds amazing! I actually love roasting vegetables and potatoes in the oven. I think brussel sprouts are my top favorite, which has given me horrible stomach issues too from not being able to stop.. but its so worth it 🙂

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 13, 2011 at 10:50 am

I am totally addicted to cauliflower as well. It’s a challenge to give myself a limit — especially when it’s roasted and covered in curry spices! 🙂

Erin April 13, 2011 at 10:45 am

That sounds like my kind of meal! I’m going to have to get some of that cinnamon.
I’ve fallen in love with cauliflower sliced into slabs, brushed in olive oil and thrown on the grill. I also make “mashed potatoes” with steamed cauliflower blended with just a little sour cream (Wallaby is the BEST!), cream and salt. I add more liquid if I want to make sauce for fish (yummy!) or a creamy soup base:-)

HEAB April 13, 2011 at 11:04 am

Erin,
I can literally eat that cinnamon straight from the tub with a spoon. It’s so delicious, and I still haven’t tried the Wallaby sour cream yet. I believe you were the one that told me it contains live cultures. My problem is they don’t sell it at Costco…therefore, CD doesn’t want to buy it. 😉

Erin April 23, 2011 at 6:52 pm

OMG, the Wallaby will change your life! I was never that into sour cream- I liked it on/in things, but I actually CRAVE the Wallaby and like eating it with a spoon straight from the tub, LOL! The difference is that it’s just cream and cultures- no fillers or thickeners, so it has a much smoother aftertaste and better texture.