A Refreshing Morning

by HEAB on April 16, 2011

I apologize for my funk yesterday. Gloomy weather always gets me down, but Summer and I did end up doing some mall walking. Mall walking is A) boring and B) expensive. Hehe, don’t know if we’ll be doing that again, especially when I discovered that the closest mall now has a Free People store. Their clothes are so my style, and I could get in major trouble there. Must stay away!

Today is going to be a better day as I’m attending a 2-hour Vinyasa tune-up workshop this afternoon with my favorite yoga teacher, and let me tell you, my vinyasa practice could use some major tuning. I’m hoping the class will help me get back in my yoga groove.

In other news, I made a delicious breakfast. It was one of those bowls that I hoped would never end.

Chocolate Mint Smoathie (oats + smoothie = smoathie)

I love using Kath’s Dough Boy Smoothie as a base for whatever flavors I’m in the mood for – so many possibilities!

For this morning’s breakfast…

It tasted straight-up like melted chocolate mint ice-cream, and I bet if you added a few ice cubes or used Katie’s Blender Ice-Cream Trick, you’d achieve more of an ice-cream like texture…who needs Baskin Robbins? :)

chocolate-covered katie April 16, 2011 at 10:05 am

mint chocolate chip oatmeal?!? And I thought I couldn’t love you any more than I do! I just finished breakfast, and now I want a repeat… oh, and you’ve reminded me that I’ve been neglecting my beloved blended grains trick.

Also, speaking of the ice cream trick: HEAB, I found a recipe that made me think og you right away, because I couldn’t finish it; it was SO huge. I said, “This is a Heather-sized breakfast!” I need to write a post about it soon, but basically it’s just almond milk, stevia, and a few other ingredients using the ice cream trick to make an overflowing bowl of ice cream… you need the costco dish to eat it without getting super-cold :) .

Um, and now I’m rambling. Anyway, just wanted to tell you it made me think of you. And every time I think of you, it makes me smile :) :) .

The Teenage Taste April 16, 2011 at 10:12 am

Your breakfast looks delicious! I love the smoothie/oat hybrid! :-)

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 16, 2011 at 10:14 am

This looks so amazing! After some folks suggested I make a mint chocolate dough ball recipe, I have been craving this flavor like craaazy! I think this smoothie would definitely please the somewhat-picky-about-smoothies husband, too. I’ll just tell him the green is from “mint”, not avocado ;) Hehe. Thanks for the great idea Heather! :)

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats April 16, 2011 at 10:15 am

Oh my oatmeal. This looks awesome.

Sarah April 16, 2011 at 10:28 am

Yum that looks so good! I am going to have to try it!

S @ extremebalance.net/blog April 16, 2011 at 10:42 am

*That* was a funk yesterday? Wow! I sure didn’t get that! You must be about 98% delightful if that’s you being sub-par. :)

And those oats look SO GOOD that I can almost forget they’re oats! ;)

Baking 'n' Books April 16, 2011 at 1:58 pm

LOL – that’s what I was thinking? I had to go back to see the post!

It’s pouring here HEAB – definitely a day for the mall – but I’m not even going to step outside. Oh well.

That picture looks delightful! I love the green (and the chocolate -duh). I’m still iffy on using avocado in recipes – I put it in Quinoa Berry Muffins and they tasted good – definitely a moist consistency!

Kelly Michelle April 16, 2011 at 10:55 am

ahh my closest mall (and the one where my gym is) is opening a Lulumon this weekend. I’ve been so good about avoiding them but I just know I’m going to get sucked in. Also, I don’t know if you have Lohmanns but I find great Free People stuff there all the time and it’s about 1/4 of the cost since they are always having sales and coupons on top of already discounted prices.

HEAB April 16, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Kelly Michelle,
No, we do not have a Lohmann’s. I think TJ Maxx and Marshalls both carry the Free People brand, but I never shop at either. I’m a horrible bargain shopper…don’t even get me started on Lululemon. So easy to get sucked right in. Good luck! :)

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope April 16, 2011 at 10:58 am

Haha, well you definitely gave the mall walking a shot! And it’s a good idea if you REALLY need just to get out of the house. :)

Wow, incredible breakfast! It actually reminds me of Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream. ;)

Chad April 16, 2011 at 11:00 am

Chocolate+mint+oat+smoothie=more perfect than Beethoven’s 9th Symphony. I am destined to make this. Wonderful blog here I will stick you on the blogroll so I can keep updated!

HEAB April 16, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Chad,
I could not agree more and thanks for the blogroll add!

Marina April 16, 2011 at 11:18 am

Mhm, smoothie looks so delicious!
I actually like malls, and shopping in them, but only when I can afford it :) )

Desi@Thepalatepeacemaker.com April 16, 2011 at 11:20 am

HEATHER. Heather, Heather, Heather. I’m WAY too excited right now over the fact that we share a love for Free People. I’ve been obsessed with FP for years, and pretty much whenever someone asks me where I I bought any given piece of clothing I might be wearing, the answer is always the same: Free People. I’d be in trouble too if FP STORE opened up near me. For the sake of my wallet, thank God that has never happened. But from one fellow FP fan to another, I’ll be sending you strength to refrain! :)

Also, we’re twins because I definitely made something very similar to this yesterday for breakfast. Mint chocolate chip is just one of those classic flavor combinations – I always forget how outlandishly delicious it is until I’m eating it again! (And then I scold myself for forgetting…) YUM!

xo

HEAB April 16, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Desi,
I’m the same way with mint chocolate. I don’t eat that combo often enough. Let’s get together soon for some Free People shopping and some homemade Thin Mint eating. I bet we could come up with a yummy gluten free version. Sound good? :)

Desi@Thepalatepeacemaker.com April 17, 2011 at 11:15 am

Heather! Yesssss! Count me in. I’ll get crackin’ on a gluten free thin mint recipe in the meantime, as it may (sadly) be a while before we’re in the same place for a date (I’m all the way in California!)… hehe :)

Emilia April 16, 2011 at 11:26 am

I knew you’d do an avocado version– yay! It looks so creamy and wonderful with the addition of coconut milk and avocado. I really need to get on the overnight oats smoothie bandwagon and give it a shot! I bet coconut butter atop with chocolate would be magical tasting, too :)

You and me both, sister! Anthropologie, J.Crew, Free People and all those other stores like that I cannot get out :) If I stay in there too long, my wallet is not a happy- camper :)
xoxo

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free April 16, 2011 at 11:29 am

Chocolate mint is the best!!! Seriously-my all time favorite flavor! Last night I made myself a chocolate mint cake for one by using my grain-free bitter chocolate cake for one recipe…SO GOOD!!! I topped it with some yummy minty avocado pudding as frosting so it looked really authentic :)

HEAB April 16, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Alex,
I must try that soon. It’s been way too long since I’ve made your bitter cake!

Ann Claire April 16, 2011 at 11:37 am

Glad you are having a better day. Your breakfast looks so yummy, love the green color!

Katie April 16, 2011 at 11:51 am

I eat this every night!! I’m not kidding. I just call it oat pudding. I make a batch of oat bran and a smoothie with whatever flavors and then mix them together. The textures are so great together, and I like that it isn’t too hot or too cold. I’ve tried blending them together, but then I miss the little oat bran nuggets. :)

And Free People was my favorite store in Hawaii. I’ve never seen it on the mainland though. I’m on the lookout now!

HEAB April 16, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Katie,
You eat a smoathie every night? I love it! Good idea to combine the two together rather than blend in the oat bran. I’ve eaten oat bran topped with protein ice-cream, but never just stirred into a smoothie. I love your brilliant mind.

Little Bookworm April 16, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Love the sound of this breakfast and the colour! I love mint chocolate ice cream. I’ve made porridge with cocoa powder and mint extract before, but this sounds even better. Definitely bookmarked! :D

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) April 16, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Ok, I could totally get in trouble at that store. Love those clothes! The smoothie looks delicious. I’ve been craving mint chocolate chip lately…I just wish it was warmer for me to have a smoothie. I hope you have a great Saturday! We are cleaning out the crap in the house. No fun.

HEAB April 16, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Sarena,
No fun indeed, but it sounds like you’re getting ready for a move which makes me very happy. :)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) April 16, 2011 at 12:43 pm

That doughy smoothie looks delish! I love mint chocolate. Yum!

Holly @ The Runny Egg April 16, 2011 at 12:45 pm

HEAB that looks delicious — I have been making your cookie dough smoothie just about every day now :)

HEAB April 16, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Holly,
I think you’d love the mint one as well. So good!

Susan April 16, 2011 at 12:58 pm

I love Free People too! I wish their stuff wasn’t so darn expensive.

That minty smoothie looks awesome. I bet it would rock on a hot summer morning. Of course if you add unsweetened chocolate to anything I’m in. I still can’t thank you enough for giving me the push to try it!

HEAB April 16, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Susan,
So glad you did. You should see my Baker’s stock. It was on sale, and CD bought a ton. Makes me so happy. :)

Kristina @ spabettie April 16, 2011 at 1:06 pm

I LOVE free people! I can totally see YOU in their style, now that you mention it. :) the mint bowl looks SO refreshing and pretty!

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 16, 2011 at 1:26 pm

ohh my heavens that smoothie does look good. I love that you added avocado to it, it’s so key to getting that perfect creamy consistency!

So glad you’re feeling better, we all do get into funks sometimes! :)

Amelia April 16, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Holy amazing!! I want to eat that right now. It looks very refreshing and satisfying. :) I think I am going to try that but with frozen coconut milk ice cubes for a bit more of a “blizzard” consistency. Mmmm!

HEAB April 16, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Amelia,
Brilliant.

A Teenage Gourmet April 16, 2011 at 1:49 pm

I bought Baker’s chocolate instead of the more expensive stuff in honor of you. It’s just as good! :)

Also, a note on Vandy . . . I’m actually leaning towards UVa now! I’m still not 100%, but I’ll let you know when I decide. It’s going to be really hard to turn down Nashville and the chance to babysit Summer! . . . And Fido’s . . . :) Both Charlottesville and Nashville are such great places to be.

HEAB April 16, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Sami,
Both are wonderful schools, and I’ve heard only good things about Charlottesville. Honestly, I don’t think you can go wrong with either…but you know I still want you here! :)

Kath April 16, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Thin mint!!!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss April 16, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Ohhh looks so good! I’ve only ever had mint ice cream once and it was the first dessert Michael and I ever shared. So even the thought of it brings back good memories. :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) April 16, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Glad you got your walk in and nothing like a little exercise to change one’s mindset and outlook. YAY!

The thin minty looking bowl…nice!

Omg Free People. My downfall. I own quite a bit of it (nothing recently purchased) but a couple years ago I went thru a major FP shopping extravaganza…I LOVE their stuff. It’s so me, too :)

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com April 16, 2011 at 3:30 pm

This looks delicious! Gotta make some for breakfast tomorrow :)

Kelsey April 16, 2011 at 3:50 pm

This looks so so good!

And Free People is a PROBLEM for me! It’s my favorite store AND it happens to be literally two blocks from my apartment. So dangerous. I have to make myself not go in, but lately I’ve been splurging. Oops! Good luck staying away!!!

HEAB April 16, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Kelsey,
I made a beeline for this skirt I saw in the window. Oh my gosh – navy wrap skirt with big flowers. Beautiful, but quickly walked away when I saw the price tag. :(

lorne April 16, 2011 at 4:03 pm

Mint chco chip ice cream is my all time favourite flavour. But I am off chocolate for a while, so I am gonna have to pretend I didn’t see this delicious post…. :0(

HEAB April 16, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Lorne,
I’m always tempting you, aren’t I? So sorry! ;)

Erin April 16, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Why apologize bby? Part of your humanity. This looks gorgeous. Would love to mall walk with you and peanut and drop some serious coin. Gorgeous weekend!

HEAB April 16, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Erin,
Yes, I need your guidance and wisdom in Sephora. :)

melissa @ the delicate place April 16, 2011 at 5:14 pm

nom. i’ve been loving choco-cado pudding with a sprinkle of rolled oats and almond butter drizzle…well we still need baskin robbins every now and then ;)

HEAB April 16, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Melissa,
Yes, every now and then. Growing up, I always requested a Baskin Robbins ice-cream roll cake for my b-day. Can’t beat ‘em! :)

megan @ the oatmeal diaries April 16, 2011 at 6:57 pm

This looks awesome! I’m still dying to make your cookie dough “smoathie”… bananas here are ridiculously expensive ($13/kilo) so I’m waiting for the prices to go down!! =P Since this doesn’t have banana I might try this instead though!

HEAB April 16, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Megan,
My cookie dough version didn’t contain a banana either, but I did use chia seeds to thicken it.

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood April 16, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Omigod, I cannot WAIT to make this! I love chocolate mint ice cream! So delish :-D

CH April 16, 2011 at 8:29 pm

OMG I am totally making this when Lent is voer and I can eat chocolate again. Plus, this recipe gives me an excuse to buy peppermint extract, which I have been meaning to do for a while now. It sounds (and looks) like an all around winner. Winning. :)

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner April 16, 2011 at 10:52 pm

I am in complete AWE!!! :D Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream for BREAKFAST?! I’m IN! :D

Hannah April 16, 2011 at 11:26 pm

I’m so glad you’re feeling a bit brighter today, Heather! I can definitely see how a delicious bowl like this would lift your spirits, but I’m sure Summer’s smiling face, and knowing that you’re a fabulous mother, helps too :)

Meagan April 16, 2011 at 11:29 pm

Oh man I wish I had a vitamix.

Samantha April 17, 2011 at 3:16 am

Oh, this is now a must try…yum!

Samantha April 17, 2011 at 3:19 am

Oh, this is now a must try…BR mint choc chip was my fave ice cream for years!

Katherine: Unemployed April 17, 2011 at 5:35 am

ah yes! another recipe with bullets rather than steps and less than three steps at that– something obtainable for us nonfoodie foodies

Jamie Hamburg April 17, 2011 at 6:17 am

Mint Chocolate Smoathie…AMAAAZING. What a great idea. That looks absolutely delicious. I’ll have to give it a try!

Halley (Blunder Construction) April 17, 2011 at 9:49 am

Reminds me of grasshopper pie! Looks delicious, perfect for spring!

katie April 17, 2011 at 11:40 am

HEAB! This could be the BEST idea ever! It looks so good! I would love this!!!! Yummy!!

oh and Free People is amazing! I love that store too, so expensive, but great clothes! So unique !

Amelia April 17, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Wow. I didn’t think it could get better than the cookie dough one! Does this taste like mint chocolate…or like spinach and avocado??

HEAB April 17, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Amelia,
You cannot taste the spinach or avocado at all. Straight up mint chocolate chip. :)

Ana April 17, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Wow, that breakfast smoothie looks so good!

Heather @ kissmybroccoli April 17, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Mmm, looks like a big ol’ bowl of my mint chocolate chip dessert hummus! Nothing like a little zip of mint to get a morning off on the right foot…especially after a day like the other day! Hope you are enjoying the sunshine we’re getting today! Can’t wait to see you tomorrow!

clare April 17, 2011 at 5:18 pm

you had me at rolled oats…

Natalia - a side of simple April 17, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Mmmm! This breakfast reminds me of a green grasshopper drink :) And you know, that’s kind of one of my favorites…

Mimi (Gingersnaps) April 17, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Yum! Now that the weather’s getting hot, I love the refreshing taste of mint. If I weren’t in “clean out pantry” mode, I’d run out and buy some oats.

Free People…egads, they better be free. The amount of money they’ve gotten from me would totally buy off their masters.

Monica April 17, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Mint chocolate chip is my absolute favorite and that looks absolutely amazing!!!!

Hope yoga put you in a great state of mind and body! ;)

McKayla April 17, 2011 at 8:05 pm

Wow. That looks bright and delicious. What could be better than Oats + Chocolate + Mint? Yum. I can’t wait to try this!

Angel7 April 17, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Oh my… That looks so wonderful!!! It kind of looks a little like guacamole with chocolate on top :)

Mariah @Apples "N" Oats April 17, 2011 at 9:52 pm

I wish there were more breakfasts in the day so that I could try all of your recipes at once!!!

Nikki April 18, 2011 at 7:05 am

Dear HEAB,

Why on earth did you ever think it a good idea to provide ME with the link to Free People?!?!?! :) I’ve never checked their stuff out before. How adorable is it! <3

More importantly, your breakfast looks amazing! YUM!

Sami April 18, 2011 at 8:18 am

Our tastebuds must’ve been on the same wave length this weekend! I made a mint chocolate chip green monster with peppermint extract, vanilla protein powder, and unsweet dark chocolate cocoa powder! <3 XO.

Kelsey @ Clean Teen Kelsey April 18, 2011 at 12:48 pm

oh my goodness, this is amazing! Wow, I’m really wishing I had some peppermint extract on me. I can’t wait to try it.

Christin@purplebirdblog April 19, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. :)

Riss April 20, 2011 at 7:31 am

Mmmmm this looks sooo yum, Heather! And the color is just stunning! I guess I need to add avocado to my grocery list now, don’t I?

Emily April 27, 2011 at 9:31 am

MY EYES JUST BUGGED OUT OF MY HEAD!

Chocolate + Mint = One of my FAVORITE combos.

So glad I found you.

Morgan August 27, 2011 at 7:28 am

Hi there :)

This looks super tasty! I have a question – do you drink it or eat it with a spoon? When I think of a smoothie I think of it as a drink but I’ve seen lots of smoothies poured into bowls lately! Maybe I’m missing out.

Thanks,
Morgan

HEAB August 27, 2011 at 10:07 am

Hi Morgan, this recipe is super tasty. I prefer my smoothies extra thick and usually eat them with a spoon. So much more fun that way. :)

{ 6 trackbacks }