Lights Out

by HEAB on April 20, 2011

This morning was a bit crazy. Due to bad overnight storms, we were without power from about 1:30 AM until 11 AM. Fun. Thank goodness we have a gas range, and I can light it without electricity. So, we were able to heat water for some instant coffee and tea this morning. Also, the hospital grade breast pump I use does not take batteries, but I do have a car adaptor for it. So I spent a good bit of the morning sitting in the driveway. My apologies to our neighbors…I’d hate to traumatize them anymore as I’m pretty sure I’m already that crazy girl always outside taking pictures of her food. Oh well, a mom’s gotta do what a mom’s gotta do, right?

On top of our power going out, my laptop was misbehaving, and so I took a trip to our local Genius Bar. Oh how I love my Macbook, and I have only ever had good experiences at the Apple Store. They fixed the problem, and I was out of there in 10 minutes and back home where CD was waiting to join Summer and me for lunch. I whipped up a quick curried chicken salad and served it atop a bed of spinach.

And for dessert…

Smoothie Girl Deb’s Protein Fudge Muffin

Now, I have tried several of these microwave protein muffin recipes floating around, and Deb’s has been my favorite thus far. It’s huge and not dry at all. Love it Deb! I used goat milk yogurt instead of pumpkin and added 1/2 tsp of vanilla. YUM!

What’s your favorite muffin for one recipe?

Courtney April 20, 2011 at 3:17 pm

I love chocolate chip banana muffins! :D

Holly @ The Runny Egg April 20, 2011 at 3:21 pm

That muffin looks delicious! The only other one I’ve tried is Choc Covered Katie’s single lady muffin — and that one was good too!

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life) April 20, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Too funny that you had to sit in the driveway- haha!

That muffin looks so yummy :)

carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) April 20, 2011 at 3:37 pm

mind passing me that dessert through the screen?!

HEAB April 20, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Carrie,
You know I would if I could! :)

R @ Learning As I Chop April 20, 2011 at 3:39 pm

I’m normally not a curry person, but that looks delicious!

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 20, 2011 at 3:42 pm

sorry to hear about your power outage, I love gas ranges for that reason too!

That curried chicken salad looks so yummy and reminds me of my childhood! My mom used to roast a chicken for dinner. Then the next day we would pick the bones and make a curried chicken salad. Soooo good in a pita yumm! :)

Thanks for the memories! :)

HEAB April 20, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Jenny,
Welcome. :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) April 20, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Ugh the storms. They just won’t stop! That stinks about the power, but I too love my gas range since I always have a means for coffee and oats that way. I’ve done chocolate cake in a cup and it is super moist and delicious. I will check out the protein one here since you know I like to find fun ways to get my protein in!

Emily Elizabeth @ Kisses for Breakfast April 20, 2011 at 3:50 pm

I have definitely had to pump in my car as well. Though I was sitting outside a local restaurant. The things we do for our kids huh?

I have also noticed that coconut flour makes baked goods more moist. I love it!

My favorite microwave muffin/bread recipe lately is a gluten-free, vegan, breakfast sweet bread: 1/4 cup gluten-free flour, 1 tbsp coconut flour, 1 tbsp tapioca flour, 1/4 tsp baking soda, 1/8 tsp salt, 1/2 cup mashed banana, 1/4 cup coconut milk (more as needed), and 1 tsp sweetener of choice – stir together, taste batter and add more sweetener if desired, then microwave 3 minutes!.

HEAB April 20, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Emily,
Not sure if I could stop at just one taste of the batter. :)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) April 20, 2011 at 3:52 pm

LOL, don’t feel bad, I’m positive we are considered the crazy people in our neighborhood, too! We stay up late or we are up very early because we work at home and for ourselves. Home all. Day. Long– I’m sure they think we’re drug dealers. Pulling into the subdivision with gangsta rap blaring probably doesn’t help disprove the theory, lol!

Tia April 20, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Hahaha Man, Hard core gangsta rap is awesome, especially when the people listening to it are driving a Yaris! (lol my neighbours) It’s the oddest sight known to man.

Tia April 20, 2011 at 3:54 pm

That salad looks so yummy! I love Curry but am not great at cooking it at all. And honestly, I hate the smell it leaves in my house for like hours upon hours after cooking it!

I hate power outages, I always find myself doing the stupidest things when I KNOW the power is out, example; walking into the laundry room and still flipping on the light switch .. even when I’m holding a flash light, like DUH!

HEAB April 20, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Tia,
The good thing about the chicken salad is no cooking the curry required. Oh, and I did the same thing with the light switches all morning. :)

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate April 20, 2011 at 4:12 pm

I love my macbook pro! After my desktop PC dies, I probably won’t buy another PC again!

kate@ahealthypassion April 20, 2011 at 4:27 pm

oooh these look amazing I love the combo of chocolate chips and banana!

Victoria (District Chocoholic) April 20, 2011 at 4:41 pm

OK, I know it wasn’t funny for you, but the image of you sitting in the driveway pumping is…priceless.

HEAB April 20, 2011 at 5:08 pm

Victoria,
Not sure if my neighbors thought so. ;)

Steph - VegFortWorth April 20, 2011 at 4:53 pm

What a funny coincidence! I had Deb’s muffin for one for breakfast this morning! I used a flax egg in place of the egg whites and it turned out beautifully!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) April 20, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Deb’s muffin recipe and your take on it look…awesome! I have seen her recipe but thanks for the reminder :)

Genius Bar….10 minutes…that’s awesome!

Pumping…I used to use a battery pack with my Symphony on airplanes, traveling, etc (I rigged the medela pump in style pack to go with the symphony) and it worked but what a battery suck!! Like $10 worth of batteries every hour of pumping. You did better to use the car adapter :)

We were without power due to the San Diego fires when Skylar was about 6 mos old…for days and days. It was the most horrific thing ever to have a small baby, no power, and yeah, I hear you on pumping without power!

HEAB April 20, 2011 at 5:06 pm

Averie,
I have the Pump In Style, but yeah, such a batter suck. Only use it when I really need to. Love that car adaptor! Can’t imagine days and days without power. At least the weather in San Diego stays nice, and you didn’t have to worry about not having heat or air.

Samantha April 20, 2011 at 5:01 pm

As always, your recipe is going right to the top of my ‘to make’ list! I’ve been trying for years to find a replica of Whole Food’s Cranberry Curried Chicken Salad. This sounds awfully similar. Yum!

Sorry to hear the storms hit you guys and affected you. *shudder* Forget the neighbors…do what you gotta!

Macbooks are awesome! We’re getting ready to buy an iMac for our boys. The Apple Road Show just left our NEX and there are sales in their wake.

HEAB April 20, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Sam,
That chicken salad was so easy. Just swap some cranberries for the raisin, and I think you’ll be a happy girl. :)

I love my Mac. Will never every buy a PC again. Enjoy the sales. :)

pure2raw twins April 20, 2011 at 5:10 pm

I guess while I was out of town this past weekend there was some pretty nasty storms here too. I am glad you are ok!!! And MACs are the best! Lori still has a really old PC she really wants a MAC but do not have the money right now hopefully one day ;)

Erica April 20, 2011 at 5:16 pm

oh my goodness! Glad y’all are ok after the crazy storms. You must have felt pretty hilarious sitting in your car pumping away :) . That chicken salad looks very yummy, as does the protein muffin. I haven’t tried any muffin for 1 recipes, but now I’m intrigued. Hope you guys are having a good night (with power!)

Ann Claire April 20, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Goat’s milk yogurt? I need to find some of that! That’s so funny that you had to pump in your driveway. Does anyone neighbors ask you why you always photograph your food?
That muffins looks so yummy!

HEAB April 20, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Ann Claire,
Goat’s milk yogurt is usually the only kind I buy, and if you live near a Trader Joe’s, their brand name is the cheapest I can find. Love it!

Our neighbors that we know never see me take pics of my food, but our house backs up to some condos, and they are the ones that can see over the fence into our backyard where I take the photos. We don’t know any of them, and I often wonder what they think of me. Hehe.

Kelsey @ Clean Teen Kelsey April 20, 2011 at 5:47 pm

I can’t stand dry muffins! They are no fun. :P Good to know that Deb’s is a winner. :)

Salah (My Healthiest Lifestyle) April 20, 2011 at 6:42 pm

that protein fudge muffin looks soooo amazing!!!

Meghan @ StruggleMuffins April 20, 2011 at 7:15 pm

I’m sorry, a protein fudge muffin?! I don’t know if I can handle this…

Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) April 20, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Eek how annoying to be without power. I was sure it was going to rain here in Fl but it’s actually been nice all day. Wow that protein fudge muffin looks delicious, looking up recipe now :D

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner April 20, 2011 at 8:16 pm

I love Katie’s Single Lady Muffin Recipe! :D Single Lady Recips are the BEST! :D

katie April 20, 2011 at 8:20 pm

I have to say I agree, I love Deb’s Protein Muffin recipe the best ! I have made it a couple times!

I am loving the chicken curry yum!! Great recipe!

Hope you are wonderful!!!

Ashley April 20, 2011 at 8:21 pm

I’m pretty sure our neighbors are sick of the fact that we have no blinds on our windows….haaahaha That muffin looks delish!

Baking 'n' Books April 20, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Holy crap – must go check out that Muffin recipe ASAP!

You didn’t say the # of servings in the recipe – but I assume it’s for one right?

I LOVE Goat’s Milk Yogurt! I eat so much of it lately. Creamy stuff.

RunEatRepeat April 20, 2011 at 11:25 pm

I bought unsweetened chocolate for a snack post-dinner. I guess I’m not as hard core as I thought – it was brutal!

HEAB April 21, 2011 at 6:41 am

Monica,
First off, I really only like the Baker’s unsweetened. The other brands, especially the more expensive ones are usually too bitter for me. I got used to it by dipping it in almond butter and surprised myself when I started liking it all on its own. Took some getting used to, but now I’m obsessed!

Hannah April 21, 2011 at 12:12 am

I miss having an Apple computer! Stupid toshiba notebook, grrr… :P Can’t wait to check out the mufin recipe! I must admit I sometimes get tired of having 12 of the same muffins in a row when I bake just for myself…

Chad April 21, 2011 at 12:25 am

What a great recipe for chicken salad! Also, this protein muffin you linked to is pretty sweet. I will have to try both.

Little Bookworm April 21, 2011 at 5:03 am

Favourite muffin for one recipe = Katie’s Single Lady Muffin recipe. :D Glad you have power back now!

ClaireRose C April 21, 2011 at 7:34 am

I gave chocolate up for Lent.let me say, it’s
Been a looooong Lent season. Hehe… I’m
Going to make me a few of those muffins
Come Easter:-)cc

brandi@BranAppetit April 21, 2011 at 7:37 am

that muffin looks so chocolatey! yum.

we love curried chicken salad. it’s our favorite.

and ps: I finally opened the naturally nutty jar I won from you – holy moly, it’s good! I hope I can find some of their other flavors to try!

HEAB April 21, 2011 at 9:56 am

Brandi,
So glad you like the Naturally Nutty. I think their vanilla almond butter is my favorite. Hope you find some soon!

Christin@purplebirdblog April 21, 2011 at 7:58 am

I’m giggling a little bit thinking about you pumping in the driveway! ;)

That chicken salad looks amazing. As does that muffin. I have been enjoying some sheep’s milk yogurt lately… high in protein and super creamy!

Rachel April 21, 2011 at 8:53 am

I just became brave enough to start a blog (after stalking blogs like yours long enough!) and that picture looks almost IDENTICAL to my first blog post yesterday! I freaked out for a second there! Haha

Alison (Fueling for Fitness) April 21, 2011 at 9:08 am

Lauren’s Peanut Butter Chocolate Lava Cake for One i to die for. I realize it’s not for the microwave..but it’s SO worth the wait. Mmmm I’ve also successfully subbed mashed banana for the apple sauce or yogurt. I might also try pumpkin (I rarely have apple sauce or yogurt on hand, unfortunately).

Alison (Fueling for Fitness) April 21, 2011 at 9:25 am

*is to die for

HEAB April 21, 2011 at 9:57 am

Thanks Alison. I’ll check out the recipe!

Katherine: Unemployed April 21, 2011 at 11:41 am

muffins to share are my favorite ;)

Colleen April 21, 2011 at 12:10 pm

FANTASTIC!!! I think this will help cure my VitaMuffin addiction! Though I guess it’s just a different kind of crack….

janetha @ meals & moves April 21, 2011 at 12:21 pm

I have been making Deb’s cake almost every night! It is so good. I can’t make it quite like she does (she mailed me some) but I am getting closer. I think it is altitude. Looks like yours turns out just as great as hers! Sorry about the power issue, that always blows.

HEAB April 21, 2011 at 1:46 pm

J,
I am obsessed with the muffin recipe, and I’m sure it’s the altitude making the difference. Come hang out at sea level and I’ll make you some. :)

Miranda (Untamed Kitchen) April 21, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Thanks for the muffin recipe Heather and Deb! I had a can of sweet potato puree in my pantry, so I made the non-chocolate version for breakfast this morning with almond butter on top. SO good!

Lea @ healthy coconut April 21, 2011 at 8:19 pm

I’ve seen how creative my sister has to be when she has to do her breast feeding schedule. You gotta do what you gotta do right?

I want to make this muffin, I have everything in the pantry. I’m glad it’s not dry.

Dayle Van Ess April 21, 2011 at 11:46 pm

I just made these tonight…SO good. I put it on my blog !!! Thanks, I am now obsessed with your site =]

Sarah April 22, 2011 at 7:06 am

Yum that chicken curry salad looks so good that I have been craving it ever since I saw this post yesterday. Think I will be making it this weekend!

Heather @ kissmybroccoli April 23, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Oh, I love making curried chicken salad! My go-to “recipe” (meaning I just throw it together and measure nothing) has about the same ingredients only with the addition of celery because I love the crunch!

It seems like a lot of people lost power and/or had tree damage around here too. To tell ya the truth, after my butt-kicking workout earlier that day, I was dead to the world come 10:00. I didn’t hear a thing!

I just bookmarked Deb’s recipe! That muffin looks amazing! I can’t discriminate…I’ve never met a muffin I didn’t like! ;)

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) April 25, 2011 at 1:12 am

Hi Heabie my friend! Sooo glad you are enjoying the muffin- I hit lucky on that one for sure. did I mention to you that the Hersheys special dark is the best cocoa (or any dark one?) Fitnissista used it and also liked it but it didn’t look dark so I told her about it. I have been using carob as an experiment and DEFINITELY stick with the dark cocoa! it’s far better! :-) Miss you my friend!

HEAB April 25, 2011 at 7:07 am

Deb,
Hershey’s Special Dark is my favorite!!! A friend pointed out the higher sodium content when compared to other cocoa powders – wonder if that is what makes it so good? Definitely the BEST, and I love how it makes everything look super chocolaty. :)

{ 1 trackback }