Special Delivery

by HEAB on April 21, 2011

Between our mail, Amazon orders, and packages I receive for blogging purposes, I think the mailman and the UPS guy are starting to think there is something quite strange going on in our house…that and I know they’re going crazy wondering who this HEAB person is. ;)

Look what all arrived yesterday…

Courtesy of Amazon, the pup’s dog food. Einstein was so excited.

Next up, we have Summer’s new book from Dolly Parton…

Dolly sends her a new book every month. Seriously, she does, and you can click here to learn more about Dolly’s Imagination Library. If it’s available in your community, then any child up to the age of 5 is eligible for a free age appropriate book every month. Pretty cool, huh?

The mailman left the following on our doorstep, and boy do I have plans for this stuff!

White Bean Flour from reader Abbey. Thanks again Abbey!

And last but not least, our delivery of grass fed finished beef from here arrived just in time for dinner…

We order 50 lbs. of beef at a time and keep it in the freezer out back in our studio space, and can you guess what we keep in the studio fridge???

Remember The Buttermyd?

So, how long do you think it will take CD and I to go through 42 lbs. of butter bought February 21 of this year? Leave a comment below with your answer, and whoever guesses the correct date will receive one batch of Butterfied Oaties from this mysterious HEAB person. ;)

Edited to Add: I guess I should mention we will be out of town for the month of August, and sadly enough, the butter will not be coming with us.

Kelly April 21, 2011 at 2:44 pm

42 pounds of butter….I am thinking it will take you guys 7 months.

Kelly April 21, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Oh oops…you were looking for a specific date. I am going with September 21st!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat April 21, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Lucky Einstein!

Is the white bean flour significantly different from the garbanzo bean flour?

Christa April 21, 2011 at 2:53 pm

I would love to know this as well… would it be digested differently too? garbanzo bean flour wreaks havoc if I eat too much in one sitting (aka socca).

HEAB April 21, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Christa,
If you have problems digesting garbanzo bean flour, then from what I’v read your body would probably react the same to the white bean flour. Sorry. :(

HEAB April 21, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Claire,
It’s just made from a different bean, the white bean instead of the chickpea.

HEAB April 21, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Claire,
And I think you can sub any bean flour for another one. Not 100% sure though as I’ve never cooked with any bean flour besides garbanzo. Can’t wait to experiment!

Christa April 21, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Hmmmm… since I think you will most likely freeze some, I’m going to guess December 21, 2012…
That’s a lot of buttah!

Holly @ The Runny Egg April 21, 2011 at 2:55 pm

HEAB your fridge and freezer crack me up!

My guess is: August 5th!

Monica April 21, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Real butter, so delicious :)
I’m guessing these will be gone by… August 28th?

michele April 21, 2011 at 3:14 pm

So funny…I can only imagine what the delivery folks think! hehehe. As for the butter consumption…September 6th! :)

Amy April 21, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Umm I’m thinking September 1st!

Heather April 21, 2011 at 3:25 pm

White bean flour……wow! I want to try it sooo badly! The first thing that comes to mind is pancakes!

HEAB April 21, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Heather – oh yes, there will be pancakes. :)

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life) April 21, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Oh my goodness, that’s a TON of butter- haha!

I can’t wait for the day when I have a large freezer and can order bulk meats and store frozen food- until then, I’m limited on space.

CB April 21, 2011 at 3:26 pm

My girls high (paw) five the Natural Balance Venison Sweet potato food!

brandi@BranAppetit April 21, 2011 at 3:27 pm

love kerrygold butter! it’s the best.

I’m going to guess….October 20th!

HEAB April 21, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Brandi – agreed. Our favorite too! :)

R @ Learning As I Chop April 21, 2011 at 3:27 pm

I have no idea but man am I jealous of the extra fridge. I love my NYC kitchen but two fridges sounds ideal.

Mary @ Bites and Bliss April 21, 2011 at 3:49 pm

I love these little guessing games!! 50lbs of beef..42 lbs of butter..a humungous bottle of mustard…:P

HEAB April 21, 2011 at 6:47 pm

Mary,
Haha – what more do you need in life? Well, perhaps a little oat bran. :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) April 21, 2011 at 4:01 pm

What’s 20 weeks from now, I’d say 2 lbs a week…so approx August 18 would be my guesstimate.

NICE stash. :)

And the UPS and mailman and FedEx…yes, they no doubt think I must have 17 employees and a major business or something with all the mail and pkgs I get delivered here. lol

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood April 21, 2011 at 4:32 pm

March 15, 2012! Don’t even ask how I got to that number… :-D

Hehe, the UPS and Fedex man all know me by now. They always leave my huge packages for me in the backyard because they’re afraid someone will take them… and they are HUGE packages ;)

Maren April 21, 2011 at 4:37 pm

I’m going to say by Christmas!!! Dec 25th, 2011!

Kath (My Funny Little Life) April 21, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! The butter! The beef! Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! :D :D :D :D :D

How long does that butter stay fresh? You’re clever people, so I’d think you’d have accounted for that. Of course you could freeze some (but there’ll be the beef, taking space). I say Nov 25th.

HEAB April 21, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Kath,
The butter expires next December (I think), and yes, it freezes quite well. :)

Kath (My Funny Little Life) April 22, 2011 at 9:04 am

Good to know! Let’s see if it also *lasts* until December! ;)

Krystina (Organically Me) April 21, 2011 at 4:49 pm

I wonder if there is a red/black bean flour. That’d make for an interesting dough!

HEAB April 21, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Krystina,
I’m not sure, but I think if you have a good blender, you can make any type of bean into flour.

Gina April 21, 2011 at 4:54 pm

My guess is by December 26 –

lindsay April 21, 2011 at 4:55 pm

WOWZERS! thats a good delivery. I’d say you would go through the butter by en of june.

Steph - VegFortWorth April 21, 2011 at 4:56 pm

I’m gonna say Oct. 1.

Marilu April 21, 2011 at 5:00 pm

I have never tried kerrygold butter, but I will have to look for it at Costco next year. And that is tons of beef, but very smart to buy and freeze!

I am guessing December 3, 2011 to go through all that butter since you will be gone in August.

Katie April 21, 2011 at 5:01 pm

I’m going to say July 28th. I’m assuming that each of those boxes is a pound, and there are 26 boxes there, meaning you’ve gone through 16 since Febuary 21st…which means those 26 boxes should last you 3 months and a week-ish.

Rayna Mazer April 21, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Not sure how much butter you use in a week but I do recall the butter blog and you said it was enough to last till the next year – so i am guessing Feb 1st of
next year ? that seems like to long , lets go with Nov 7 instead – Summers 1st birthday

alain April 21, 2011 at 5:15 pm

hi heather! so excited to see your stock of grass feed beef. i have plans tonight to make shanghainese style grass fed meatballs. i’ll let you know how the recipe goes! i’m going to guess July 28, 2011 for when you’ll finish the butter!

HEAB April 21, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Alain,
Yes, please share. That sounds delicious! Another blogger mentioned adding raisins to meatballs. I love the thought of that – savory and sweet all rolled into one.

Ellie April 21, 2011 at 5:38 pm

8 months! So mid-november.

Syndie April 21, 2011 at 5:39 pm

You are funny! Love the book idea. So sweet. I am going to say 11/24/2011. Happy Easter ;)

glidingcalm April 21, 2011 at 5:42 pm

I am going to say October 5th! Or the first week of October!! I am jealous of that beef!! :D

Stephanie @ LiveCookLove April 21, 2011 at 5:46 pm

I’m going to say………

It will get you through the holidays, so December 27th!

Ana April 21, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Omg, White Bean Flour, I must find that!! White beans and chickpeas are my favorite and I can only imagine how good white bean flour is. You have to try making socca with this flour and letting us know how it is!
That is a lot of butter, my guess would be October 2!

HEAB April 21, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Ana,
OK, I will. :)

Maija April 21, 2011 at 6:02 pm

I’m gonna guessss….. December 20th of this year :)

Abby @ Have Dental Floss, Will Travel April 21, 2011 at 6:05 pm

We use the same kind of dog food! Do you have Petco by you? It’s roughly the same price there, but once you buy 10 bags, you get one free. Pretty nice savings.

HEAB April 21, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Abby,
I’m not sure. We have Pet Smart but I don’t know about Petco. That is a great deal. We Amazon we pay no sales tax and shipping is free. LOVE Amazon!

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate April 21, 2011 at 6:12 pm

OMG I want that beef!

Courtney April 21, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Aww, I used to LOVE the Spot books! :D

Mariah @Apples "N" Oats April 21, 2011 at 6:57 pm

that is stock buying at it’s finest
November 11 2012

Stefanie April 21, 2011 at 7:20 pm

My guess is October 15th. :)

CH April 21, 2011 at 7:20 pm

I think it will take 21 months, so let’s say November 6 2012 (my birthday).

The Teenage Taste April 21, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Haha! I love guessing how long it takes for the HEAB household to finish up the giant quantities of food you buy. My guess for the butter is December 21st, 2011. That number literally just popped into my head. Let’s hope it’s right! ;-)

Natalie @ cinnamon bums April 21, 2011 at 7:35 pm

i say november 30!

cant wait to see your white bean flour concotions!! =)

Molly April 21, 2011 at 8:07 pm

I just got Lillian all signed up for a book from Dolly! How fun! Thanks for the link :)

HEAB April 21, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Molly,
It’s such a neat program. Happy to hear Lillian is on board. :)

Evan Thomas April 21, 2011 at 8:08 pm

This is so hard to guestimate. What if you suddenly pick up a love for flourless chocolate cake?
My guess is January 15th

Maria Peters April 21, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Oh my, that’s a lot of bulk food! The FedEx, UPS and USPS guys all know me well, too!

I am guessing the butter will be gone October 29, 2011.

How is breastfeeding/pumping going? It had to be a little uncomfortable pumping in the car when the power was out the other day. I’m sure that you had a good laugh afterward.

HEAB April 21, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Maria,
It’s going okay. Summer turns 24 weeks old tomorrow (can you believe it?), and I’ve decided to start weaning myself off the pump. It’s time, and I’m at peace with my decision. Thanks for asking. :)

Maria April 22, 2011 at 12:50 pm

I can’t believe that Summer is already 24 weeks old! She is getting so big! Heather, you are so strong and I admire your determination and commitment. Don’t let anyone make you feel uncomfortable about your decision.

Christina April 21, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Hmm I hope the postman doesn’t get any ideas! haha!

I’m thinking you’ll have the last batch just in time for Thanksgiving, maybe by Nov 27th!

Christina April 21, 2011 at 8:24 pm

Now that I think about it, that’s some serious arse butter! I’d be seriously impressed if you finished it by November hahaha

Bethany April 21, 2011 at 8:26 pm

I bet you will finish it December 31st. Just in time for a new year :-)

Lauren April 21, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Hmmmm…..thats a lot of butter! I think you guys will eat it by October 6th

Em April 21, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Your comment about the mail people wondering who the heck HEAB is made me laugh so hard!!
My butter estimate… I’m going to go with September 27th cuz it’s my birthday and that seems about right with the month out of town. –But the real reason I’m commenting is to see if August will be your annual trip you guys take and to make sure it will be coming up north to say… Washington perhaps?! ;)

HEAB April 21, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Em,
I wish! Too far of a drive with the pups. We’re headed back up to Michigan where we’ve rented a lake house. Can’t wait, but someday we shall meet. :)

Konnie April 21, 2011 at 8:51 pm

I’m guessing December 3, 2011!

Halley (Blunder Construction) April 21, 2011 at 8:56 pm

You may think you are wacky for buying 50 lbs of butter/beef at a time, but I am envious! So economical, wish I had the space for storage.

Missy April 21, 2011 at 9:20 pm

I will guess March 1, 2012

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) April 21, 2011 at 9:20 pm

hmmm…october 23 is my guess! and we are getting our first grass fed beef shipment tomorrow! first time doing it so we shall seee :)

Bianca April 21, 2011 at 9:22 pm

I’m thinking you guys will finish the butter on November 29, 2011.

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 21, 2011 at 9:24 pm

oh my gosh I thought we used to buy in bulk!

hey if you know what you like then why not :) you go girl!

Sarah April 21, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Till Decemeber 20th!

Sarah April 21, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Woops, I meant September 20th ( :

alli April 21, 2011 at 9:33 pm

what a great idea! i checked and there isn’t a program in my area. ill have to check on seeing what it takes to make it possible!

my guess is january 8, 2012! happy butter eating :)

Baking 'n' Books April 21, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Wow – is there any flour Bob’s Red Mill hasn’t come out with yet?! Seems like there’s always something new and unexpected! I always just thought it was almond and rice ;)

Holy crapola…that’s a lot of butter! And I ‘m not good with math…I’m guessing a year…next January at least….

kate@ahealthypassion April 21, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Uhhh im saying you will be out by christmas; !

Hannah April 21, 2011 at 10:49 pm

It’s posts like these that makeme love you even more. If only I had the space, I’d buy in bulk too. Unfortunately, living in a tiny apartment with another person doesn’t make for copious amounts of butter storage. Though we both know I’ve got the chocolate stash :P

robyn jones clark April 21, 2011 at 11:31 pm

hmm.. well i have no idea, but here is a guess. December 23rd :)

also, my dogs eat the prescription science diet ultra allergen free z/d it’s about 70 bucks a bag. they have to have a prescription to get it too.. i’m gonna look up the ingredients on the kind you bought and see if it’s comparable.

the long haired dachshund breaks out in a rash if he eats any other kind of food and the boxer has major digestive trouble (lots of bloody runs… if you know what i mean) I love them like they were my children… so only the best for them. :)

HEAB April 22, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Robyn,
Radley used to have chronic infections until we switched dog foods. We feed them grain free, and they love this particular brand!

Tasha @ Voracious April 22, 2011 at 6:58 am

Hmmm…if you are like us, that much butter will last…maybe 2 weeks. ;-) Haha, seriously, we do go through a ton of butter. It’s nice that something that is so incredibly delicious is also so healthy. I cook with it and put it in everything. And you are so lucky to be able to get so much delicious beef! We have to work very hard (leave the country!) to get really decent beef. So, we stock up on it, truck it across the border, and then ration it out like it’s gold. Enjoy!

HEAB April 22, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Tasha,
Yes, very grateful for our access to good quality beef!

Gina G April 22, 2011 at 7:05 am

December 15th! :)

Annie April 22, 2011 at 7:32 am

After using some extremely scientific calculations, looking at the astrology charts and consulting a psychic – the date is August 25th.

As for the dog food.. dang… I have two monsters of dogs who are already eating their share of the budget at $30 40lb bag of food.. I’d have to figure the financial impact of $55 for 28lbs!! OUCH… do your dogs need to eat less of this food?? it sounds good.. but dayum.. I go through a 40lb bag in about 2.5 weeks.. maybe I could mix them?? Do your dogs have allergies or it’s the content of the food?? just curious…

Summer is growing so fast.. and she has such a feminine expressive face. too key-ute! Oh! and I’m ording some grassfed beef!! I’ve been looking for a good place to order so THANK YOU

HEAB April 22, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Annie,
Radley used to get sick a lot with various infections, but once we switched to all natural organic dog food, she hasn’t been sick since. We order the dog food from Amazon, and so we don’t have to pay sales tax, and the shipping is free. Definitely worth the cost in my opinion, and the pups love this particular brand.

Enjoy your grassfed beef. We tried a couple of local farms and Gourmet Pasture Beef has been our favorite!

Lauren April 22, 2011 at 7:49 am

Wow! That’s a lot of butter! I’m guessing my birthday, October 6th!

RachelW April 22, 2011 at 8:08 am

I’m going to guess an average of three sticks per week, which if my math is correct (and it may not be – I have fuzzy brain ’cause there’s a 10-week old in my house right now), I think that would put you at around this time next year – let’s say April 15. I have no idea if butter will last that long frozen though, so I’ll be interested to hear what the right answer is!

cameron April 22, 2011 at 8:12 am

I think it will take you until July 1st. Thanks for all of the parenting tips! Please keep them coming!

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods April 22, 2011 at 9:29 am

LOVE Dolly Parton and love that Summer’s enrolled in her reading program. Dolly is one of my heros. She does so much for education in underserved communities.

Anita April 22, 2011 at 9:58 am

January 12, 2012 ( ran out of butter )

Alyssa April 22, 2011 at 10:12 am

I’m just gonna say October 12th.
And what a lucky girl Summer is (and Einstein is a lucky dog)!

Yin April 22, 2011 at 10:54 am

I think January 2, 2012.

By the way, did you guys finish the mustard?! :D

HEAB April 22, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Yin,
Yep, January 15 and 2 people guessed the correct date. So funny.

Riss April 22, 2011 at 11:16 am

I looooooove your obsessive bulk-buying habits! I was just telling my mother today that my neighbors probably scratch their heads in amazement when they see this little 5’2 girl carrying in MASSIVE cases of chicken, veggies, oatmeal, eggs, nuts, etc. into the house each week. They probably think I’m running some kind of food-kitchen on the side! I haven’t made the splurge to buy a 2nd freezer yet… but it’s coming! =)

You, my dear, are a bulk-buying Rockstar!

Irina April 22, 2011 at 11:22 am

Getting packages and letters in the mail is so nice and heartwarming! I love the old-fashioned feel to it, especially now that I’m hours away from home at school.

Yesterday I received a package from my family and it totally made my day better x1000.

And my guess for the butter will be November 27th, 2011!

HEAB April 22, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Irina,
I know – I love real mail and packages. I refuse to ever send e-cards – taking the time to send a card with a stamp is starting to become a lost art. Makes me so sad. Yay for snail mail! :)

Katherine: Unemployed April 22, 2011 at 11:38 am

Important to note that when the label says ‘formula’ it does not mean infant formula

Kerry April 22, 2011 at 12:40 pm

I believe this butter will be gone July 15th!

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats April 22, 2011 at 1:50 pm

I can’t wait to see what you do with the white bean flour. I have some (from nutsonline) and have yet to make something I love with it.

HEre’s my guess re when the butter will be gone: December 20, 2011 :)

Randi Wiley April 22, 2011 at 3:13 pm

I’m going with November 27th for the butter!

Wendy April 22, 2011 at 7:31 pm

One year seven days…..give or take three hours!lol

Angel7 April 23, 2011 at 11:11 am

Thanks for telling us about Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library!

I think you will use 42 lbs. of butter by July 15, 2011–that is a lot of butter!

Tami April 23, 2011 at 11:24 am

I am going to guess January 15th!!

Christin@purplebirdblog April 23, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Ummm…. October 2, 2011! :)

Natalie April 23, 2011 at 9:12 pm

September 27 2011

Heather @ kissmybroccoli April 23, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Haha! Cracking up over those fridge and freezer picks! Looks like you guys are pretty well stocked!

Ok, gonna go with a somewhat educated guess here: I figure you accounted for the expiration date which I saw is next December…and you said it freezes well…subtract out August…and you’ve got March 1, 2012! :)

Heather April 27, 2011 at 1:30 pm

I say November 24th. The holidays are when we kill off the butter right? :)

Samantha April 28, 2011 at 2:58 pm