Thank Goodness I Forgot To Turn On The Oven

by HEAB on April 22, 2011

Yesterday, I popped a huge sweet potato in the toaster oven and went back to check on it after an hour only to find I never turned on the oven. I kept wondering where that yummy sweet potato smell was. Anyway, that’s when the great debate began…wait another hour+ for the potato or bake something with the leftover black beans sitting in the fridge. Beans won.

Black Bean Brownies

I’ve always wanted to try The Happy Herbivore’s Black Bean Brownies, and so after checking out Lindsay’s recipe, I tweaked it a bit for a sugar-free version.

How did they taste? I like ‘em – they’re fudgy and really good smooshed between a few layers of chocolate protein ice-cream and Sarena’s coconut cream

For another tasty black bean treat, check out Rachel’s Chocolate Banana Bites. Have you ever made anything sweet with black beans?

If you get a chance please stop by Mara’s Online Flea Market for Pancreatic Research today! Bids close tonight at 9 PM CST.

Dominique @ The Good Life April 22, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Those look delicious! You’ve got me all hungry now :)

PS…I’ve been reading for awhile (don’t think I’ve commented yet) and I love you blog! I admit, I’m partly biased because I’m a Nashville native (currently transplanted to CA).

HEAB April 22, 2011 at 6:29 pm

Dominique,
Love hearing from Nashvillians – even if you aren’t here right now. Kind of jealous to hear you’re in CA truth be told. We love the weather out there…but not the property taxes. ;)

Thanks for reading!

The Teenage Taste April 22, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Oh my…thank goodness you forgot to turn on the oven is right! Those brownies look 100000x better than a sweet potato. (Sorry, sweet potato! I still love you!) ;-)
Do the black bean brownies taste like ‘real’ brownies or can you taste the black beans? I’ve had my eye on them too! :-)

HEAB April 22, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Teenage Taste,
I did not taste the beans at all. The cocoa and sweetener cover up their taste, but they did make for a wonderful fudgy texture and taste even better today.

Dori April 22, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Always wanted to try these! They look great, glad you enjoyed.

Holly @ The Runny Egg April 22, 2011 at 1:57 pm

I have made brownies with black beans, but not how you did it. You buy a box mix of brownies and instead of adding oil, eggs, etc — you add a can of drained, mashed black beans. They actually turned out really well!

HEAB April 22, 2011 at 6:27 pm

Holly,
Your version sounds much easier. I’ve done the same thing with pumpkin and butternut squash. Love that recipe.

Necia April 22, 2011 at 2:08 pm

The sweetest thing Ive made with black beans were black bean, sweet potato empanadas. The empanadas had the above plus corn, and a BANANA. I had no idea what to expect, but both myself and the kids LOVED them. Matter fact, let me go back some up now, for when the boy returns to schoool on Monday.

HEAB April 22, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Necia,
Those sound delicious. I want some. :)

Mariah @Apples "N" Oats April 22, 2011 at 2:16 pm

such an interesting recipe!i’ve never made any sweet baked goods withblack beans so I may have to try this!

Lesley Lifting Life April 22, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Mmm, I’ve never made a black bean dessert yet but I’ve been meaning to! This looks like a good choice.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) April 22, 2011 at 2:50 pm

I have seen so many versions and varieties of black bean brownies and even “white chocolate” blondies with white/cannelloni beans…but have never made any desserts with beans….yet.

Your brownies look great..and you sugar free’ed them, too. Awesome work! I wish I could do a taste sampling right now…I’m so curious!

Happy Easter to you three. Hope the Easter Bunny stops by your house this year :)

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free April 22, 2011 at 3:04 pm

When I was ten years old, I experimented with making a grain-free, sugar-free black bean brownie. This was waaay before I had learned anything much about cooking….It was disgusting. It tasted like banana black beans. Let’s just say that I had a bad experience with it….But these look mighty tasty ;)

HEAB April 22, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Alex,
You’ve come a long way, and I’m sure if you tried again, you would redeem yourself.

Steph - VegFortWorth April 22, 2011 at 3:14 pm

I love to make black bean brownies–they’ so fudgy and delicious. I have my own recipe I use.

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 22, 2011 at 3:16 pm

mmmm I need some brownie love :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss April 22, 2011 at 3:20 pm

I’ve yet to try black bean brownies. Can you taste the beans at all?

HEAB April 22, 2011 at 6:24 pm

Mary,
Nope. They just add to the fudgy texture.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) April 22, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Now that is a treat! Definitely on my list to make! Black beans in brownies are so good! Have a great weekend and I hope you get some pretty weather!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape April 22, 2011 at 4:06 pm

I’ve never baked with black beans before but I’ve heard that you really can’t taste them.

Baking 'n' Books April 22, 2011 at 4:14 pm

I used Oat Bran in a recipe the other day for muffins (sugar-free too!) and I found it was good – added a smoother consistency I think. I combined it with oats and quinoa flour though too.

Is Lent almost over!? LOL – although I have a feeling your habits won’t be changing too much ;)

Dea April 22, 2011 at 4:32 pm

What is the stevia baking blend like? I have stevia drops and while they’re fine in tea, I can’t stand them in food. I want to like stevia it just makes so much sense, but I can’t. Is the baking blend more platable?

HEAB April 22, 2011 at 6:23 pm

Dea,
It’s super sweet and so I only ever use a little at at time. I like it, but I’ve developed a taste for stevia. NuNaturals is my favorite as I don’t think it has that funky aftertaste. That being said, CD does not like it at all.

Ann Claire April 22, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Those brownies look so fudgy and delicious! My family would probably think I’m a total weirdo if I made them, but who really cares? Sometimes recipes with unexpected ingredients taste the best!

Katie April 22, 2011 at 5:15 pm

I made chocolate black bean dip that was like crack it was so addicting. But I’ve tried countless black bean brownie recipes and none turn out. I’m no good at it.

Samantha April 22, 2011 at 5:17 pm

Will be making these this week…I love the coconut cream! Another black bean brownie recipe our household loves are the ones from Heidi at 101cookbooks.com . The first time my husband tried them (w/o knowing they were black bean) he said they were some of the best he’d had. Hers do have a fair amount of sweet in them though. http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/amazing-black-bean-brownies-recipe.html

HEAB April 22, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Sam,
Yeah, those sound amazing. You really can’t go wrong with butter, chocolate, and coffee flavor. Would need to HEABify all that agave, but I think I could come up with a solution. Bookmarked. :)

Lee April 22, 2011 at 5:36 pm

I made black bean brownies and took them to work. My co-workers were a bit skeeved out, but they ended up liking them.

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day April 22, 2011 at 5:40 pm

I used to make gluten free, sugar fee (vegan) black bean breakfast brownies at my last restaurant job… people loves them… I was kind of so so on them… I make an amazing sugar free chickpea gingerbread that I love much more than the ‘brownies’..

HEAB April 22, 2011 at 6:18 pm

Melody,
Where oh where is the recipe. Can’t find it on your blog. Did a search for gingerbread.

Pure2raw twins April 22, 2011 at 6:19 pm

Black bean brownies look amazing!!! I have not made them before.

And your layers of ice cream, oh my I want some ;)

Maren April 22, 2011 at 6:29 pm

My friend made black bean brownies!! They were sooo yummy! Not as rich, but they were delicious!

Beth April 22, 2011 at 6:30 pm

I’m definitely making those chocolate banana bites! I have a bunch of ripe bananas I need to use up, and those sound great.

megan @ the oatmeal diaries April 22, 2011 at 6:37 pm

Wowwww you totally took these to the next level with the protein ice cream and coconut cream. You should start your own ice cream place and put Dairy Queen/Coldstone/etc out of business!

Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) April 22, 2011 at 7:24 pm

These look so tasty. I’ve never made any kind of dessert with black beans because I’m kinda scared of the taste lol

Dayle Van Ess April 22, 2011 at 7:42 pm

I have hearing such good things about black bean brownies and now I have to try them out ! Especially, since I always have the ingredients in my kitchen. I learn so much from your blog, thanks!!!

PPS – I would take you up on that offer in a HEARTBEAT! I currently am in Tuscaloosa AL and have been to Nashville once for a race earlier this year and immediately fell in love! I would take any excuse to visit again, not that cooking with you isn’t a good enough reason !

HEAB April 22, 2011 at 7:44 pm

Dayle,
You’re welcome anytime. :)

HEAB April 22, 2011 at 7:45 pm

PS You know I went to Auburn, right? ;)

Dayle Van Ess April 22, 2011 at 9:09 pm

i must have some how skipped over that part in your “about me” section hehe… ;-] but in that case congrats are in order!! what did you study there? Do you ever come back to Bama at all?

Emily April 22, 2011 at 8:15 pm

holy cows! i just made them too the very same ones a couple of days back! ! i love u heab, hahahha :D

Ellie@fitforthesoul April 22, 2011 at 8:18 pm

whoa Sarena’s cookie cream looks sooo decadent! these brownies remind me of a raw bar I made a few months ago, so I know I’d like them! have a sweet night Heather!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} April 22, 2011 at 8:38 pm

I have made black bean brownies before. I agree that they are very fudge-y and good. I think I used the recipe from Sweet Freedom, but I can’t remember for sure.

Happy Easter weekend!

McKayla April 22, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Black bean brownies are the best! The beans make them so moist. I tried them out a few weeks ago too (http://greengroat.blogspot.com/2011/04/healthiest-brownies-i-ever-ate.html), but I don’t think mine were as fudgy-looking as yours.

I’m curious, are you able to taste the coconut cream in your brownies? I don’t use coconut anything much, but I would like to try it out in some new recipes.

HEAB April 22, 2011 at 8:47 pm

McKayla,
No, the brownies didn’t taste coconutty to me, but I love coconut, and I’m not as sensitive to the taste. People that aren’t coconut fans might have been able to detect a slight coconut flavor, but they tasted all chocolate to me. :)

Ricki April 22, 2011 at 9:00 pm

Love the idea of putting them between layers of ice cream–looks so decadent! I tried these a while back and found them very, very fudgy, more like fudge than what I think of as “brownies.” I’ve used beans in sweet things for a while now, but my two favorites are (my own recipe for) bean brownies, and black bean fudge (both on my blog). I practically lived on that fudge when I first started the anti-candida diet!

joanne April 22, 2011 at 9:38 pm

is there a good subsitute for the black beans? they don’t sell them canned here (australia) so i’m wondering if something like red kidney beans, baby lima beans, chickpeas or butter beans would work?

HEAB April 23, 2011 at 9:24 am

Joanne,
Any mild tasting bean should work. Perhaps the chickpeas? Let me know if you try it.

Hannah April 22, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Now I know why I haven’t made these black bean brownies yet, despite printing them out probably a year ago! My subconscious was getting me to wait until you came out with your version with coconut flour ;)

HEAB April 23, 2011 at 9:22 am

Hannah,
Haha, so true. :)

Hannah April 23, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Complete tangent now for advice, o wise one… I’m hoping to do an iHerb order soon, but when I went to look at the stevias I got really confused. I think it was the NuNaturals that everyone seems to use, but there’s alcohol free and then not alcohol free, and vanilla, and my brain went POP! What do you use? :)

HEAB April 23, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Hannah,
Yes, love NuNaturals. I use them all, but my favorite are the alcohol free vanilla stevia drops.

kathleen April 22, 2011 at 10:57 pm

that’s crazy. i thought about making black bean brownies today. mostly because i was looking up the sales at whole foods while making a grocery list and their website had a recipe for black bean brownies. unfortunately, i ate all the black beans i had cooked while contemplating the decision. maybe next time. =)

Annie@stronghealthyfit April 23, 2011 at 7:00 am

Mm i LOVE black bean brownies :-)

Rachel (tea and chocolate) April 23, 2011 at 8:54 am

I’ve made black bean brownies before and didn’t care for them, but the chickpea blondies I made once were delicious! I’m interested in your sugar-free version. It seems like black bean brownies need a lot of sugar to cover up the beany taste, but I’d like to try these.

HEAB April 23, 2011 at 9:21 am

Rachel,
The NuNaturals baking blend is super sweet – definitely covers up the beany taste.

Tasha @ Voracious April 23, 2011 at 9:28 am

Sometimes kitchen mistakes can lead to the most magical outcomes…and yes, magical is the only way I can describe that glass of brownie + ice cream. I think I’m going to skip my dinner tonight and move straight on to dessert…

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner April 23, 2011 at 10:11 am

I have been wanting to make some Black Bean Brownies!!! I love that you made this SUGAR FREE!!! :D Is there anything I could use in place of the rice flour and oat bran?

HEAB April 23, 2011 at 10:21 am

Kathleen,
Yep, any flour should do – the original recipe actually called for instant oatmeal.

katie April 23, 2011 at 11:45 am

I love how you put the brownie with some protein ice cream! Looks so good!

Want to wish you and the family a Happy Easter!!!!! xoxo <3 Summers First Easter! Yay!!

melody polakow: Vegan for 3.33 a day April 23, 2011 at 11:46 am

re chickpea gingerbread.. the recipe isn’t on my blog.. I actually haven’t written it down.. I just make it… usually 2 c gluten free flour mix, 2 c pureed chickpeas with rice milk, lots of fresh ginger, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon juice/zest, molasses, stevia and a bit of olive oil.. baked at 375 for around 30 mins.. the recipe is approximate… but you’re good at improvising!… so I’m sure you can put your spin on it… i’ll bet using your coconut butter would be super good..

Natalia - a side of simple April 23, 2011 at 12:08 pm

It’s times like these that I wish I really liked beans, but I haven’t tried a bean yet that I like :(

Marina April 23, 2011 at 12:30 pm

I have to make black bean brownies!
I made a black bean chocolate cake, and it was awesome, I like the dense flavour that beans provide to the cake!

janae@hungryrunnergirl.com April 23, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Those brownies look absolutely AMAZING!!! I am drowning. I forget to turn on the oven all the time and then I get mad and end up just eating my veggies raw instead of being patient and roasting them!!

I hope you are having a wonderful weekend and the best first Easter with Summer:)

Angel7 April 23, 2011 at 2:06 pm

I had to write down the HEABified Black Bean Brownies recipe, because I will do anything to get our almost 3 year-old daughter to eat healthy foods, such as black beans :) Thanks for sharing!

Eden April 23, 2011 at 2:09 pm

I had the opposite thing happen to me! I put half a kabocha in the oven only to wake up three hours later from my nap to find it burnt to a crisp. I cremated a kabocha! At least your potato was spared.

Christin@purplebirdblog April 24, 2011 at 9:58 am

Ummm…. yeah. I need these brownies in my mouth right now. Actually that whole parfait action you have going on. Need it. Happy Easter, dear friend! xoxo

HEAB April 24, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Christin,
Happy Easter to you as well my friend. :)

Salah (My Healthiest Lifestyle) April 24, 2011 at 10:26 am

I have been wanting to try black bean brownies for soooo long!!

Rachael April 24, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Heather,

I LOVE your blog. I love all the funky food you post, the cute pics of Summer, and hearing about all your neat yoga happenings. I’m finished with grad school next week (!!!) and I’m looking forward to spending some time in the kitchen cooking again, and your recipes are at the top of my list. These brownies are on that list, but I think this is the funkiest thing I have ever seen you post- and this is from a girl who has made spinach brownies. I’ll try them though-I’m always willing to go for new things ;)

Thanks for all the goodness-keep it coming!

HEAB April 24, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Rachael,
Thanks so much for reading and congrats on the fact that you are almost done with grad school!!! Very exciting, and I think you should definitely celebrate with some black bean brownies. So funky good. ;)

Mandiee April 24, 2011 at 7:07 pm

I’m totally making these soon! I actually used to cook my own black beans from scratch and then warm them up with a little cinnamon. Sounds strange, but there is such a lovely mellow flavor when you cook them yourself. It’s highlighted so well by cinnamon!

MC April 24, 2011 at 8:40 pm

These look awesome! I love your healthy, HEABified recipes. My family has a history of diabetes, so I try to decrease sugar, but it’s so hard when baking. Your site helps though, thanks~!

Meagan April 26, 2011 at 12:29 pm

The bottom picture looks like the chocolate pudding-marshmallow trifle pudding cup dessert my mom used to make when we were kids! I have fond memories of that!!

Dea April 28, 2011 at 1:59 am

I made them! (the original one, with some tweaks) I love them, my friends love them, my 3 year old loves them, my husband swears he can taste the beans. I think he’s full of beans! I think they’re delicious! Thanks for sharing!

Riss April 28, 2011 at 7:03 am

Wednesday I my MA thesis was approved and submitted to the university’s digital archive. Today I turn in 2 final course papers. And tomorrow I finish grading my student’s final projects.

I think THESE brownies are on the “must-make” list to commemorate this joyous occasion! As soon as I hit “submit,” I am putting dried black beans into a pot to soak while I am at school. Thanks Heather! =)

Samantha April 28, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Sometimes I eat warm black beans with cinnamon and stevia. Husband and kids think I’m crazy!

{ 1 trackback }