Role Model

by HEAB on April 27, 2011

My goodness, what is up with the thunderstorms this year? This morning, Summer and I did our Mom & Baby Fitness DVD, cleaned ourselves up, and crawled back into our PJ’s as I knew we would not be leaving the house. Nashville’s weather is just plain nasty today.

Since CD and I plan to start Summer on solids soon, we’ve ether been putting Summer in her new booster seat or in our laps for meals.

Summer’s Dining Room Chair :)

We plan to go the Baby Led Weaning route, and therefore, we want Summer around us whenever we eat. if she reaches out and grabs my food, that’s okay as she’s going to eat whatever we’re eating for the most part. For now, it’s just about exploring and learning.

So, the other day, I’m sitting there eating my black bean brownie parfait for breakfast with Summer on my lap and Summer’s hand in my sundae,

Breakfast?

and I start thinking to myself, is that what I want Summer to see me eating for breakfast? Yes, it was sugar free, and there were many good ingredients in there. However, a jar filled with ice-cream is not something I would want to make Summer for breakfast. Is there anything wrong with a brownie sundae on occasion? No, I just don’t think I should be in a habit of making a meal out of it, even it is sugar free, grain free, etc.

What do I want Summer to see me eating? REAL FOOD and not the lowest calorie, most filling recipe I can possibly come up with to satisfy my ever raging sweet tooth…which in and of itself answers the question of why I always have an ever raging sweet tooth. Will I keep making HEABified desserts? Honestly, I don’t know. I know my body can’t handle a lot of sugar, but I don’t want Summer to see me shoveling down endless bowls of stevia whipped air. I’d rather her see me eat bowls like today’s lunch…

Wild salmon cakes served atop veggies sauteed in butter.

Motherhood has already taught me a great deal about myself, but me thinks I still have much to learn.

Clare @ Fitting It All In April 27, 2011 at 5:24 pm

An interesting point, Heather. It’s funny how we get so used to our eating habits that we forget to step back and look at them. You understand your body so well and have never been one to follow the trendy crowd, so I’m curious to see what you decide on! Either way, Summer will be just fine and beautiful as ever:)

Pure2raw twins April 27, 2011 at 5:29 pm

My niece seems to pay close attention to what we all eat when around her. It is pretty interesting how babies can pick on things. I think you are making great choices, Summer will be surrounded by real great food all the time, her mom knows best :)

janetha @ meals & moves April 27, 2011 at 5:32 pm

You bring up a really good point about the things Summer sees you doing. I love that you are talking through it on your blog so we can all learn from you :) You are a great momma!

Felicia April 27, 2011 at 5:33 pm

She is getting sooo big I can’t believe it! Even though your desserts are healthy, its great you can pick up on setting good habits and maintaining them so she can grow and learn from her momma, and then knowing its okay to have dessert once in a while and to savor it when you do!

Stephanie April 27, 2011 at 5:34 pm

You are already such a great mama, just follow your instincts with her and you will never go wrong :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) April 27, 2011 at 5:46 pm

My kids only ate jarred baby food when we introduced new foods in the beginning. They never got the jarred version again. They ate what we ate…this is why Jay eats like Tony and Max eats like me. It has been a very interesting road as far as food goes. I don’t think you’re wrong for the “brownie” for breakfast. I think food should be fun and without the stigma of breakfast, lunch and dinner. Max eats the weirdest things for breakfast. This morning he had mac n’ cheese (with mustard) and a banana. I think the important part is finding a balance and teaching her how to make healthier versions of some not so healthy flavors. I’m not saying ice cream for breakfast all the time, but waffles a la mode is fun sometimes. My kids actually brag that I make them healthy cakes. They know that eating right is important. I can’t wait for you two to be in the kitchen together! You are such a great mom Heather!

HEAB April 27, 2011 at 9:58 pm

Sarena,
Cracking up at Max’s breakfast – sounds like something I would have eaten during my first trimester. Hehe. Thanks for the advice – I agree, balance is what I’m aiming for. Can’t wait to get in the kitchen with Summer either. :)

Kim April 27, 2011 at 11:31 pm

TOTALLY agree! We don’t have “allowed” foods for any meal. As long as they are healthy and a good fuel, they are o.k. Bella had “healthy” chicken nuggets for b fast this morning with some baked sweet potato. Traditional, no, healthy, yes. Dinner she had Mama Pea’s mac and cheese (with quinoa pasta), and a vegan “burger”. I made some GF/vegan muffins for b fast tomorrow that she eyed and decided 2 (they were small) were her dessert. I think the less emphasis we put on “bad” foods and more on “healthy” and good fuel the better. We have discussed before that NO food is ever off limit (except the allergy ones). In Vegas we went to Sugar Factory, which is just that . A store filled with HFCS delights. Bella got her small bag of candy. Ate 3 gummy cola bottles, 2 dark chocolate M&M’s and she was done! Too sweet for her! We still allowed her to indulge in a “treat”. The bag is still sitting in the “treat” cabinet here @ home, forgotten about already!

Bella too loves bragging to her friends that the homemade yummy treats they love to eat here are healthy! Getting them in the kitchen is key. There is a certain pride that comes when they help in the process. You are doing an amazing job! I think ALL Mom’s continue to learn something new everyday! :)

Tracy April 28, 2011 at 2:48 pm

9 days out of 10 my daughter will eat dinner leftovers for breakfast. It sure beats a Pop Tart or sugar cereal! I’ve been known to let my son (a non-breakfast eater) eat a cookie when he’s not interested in anything else. He’ll usually go on to have a good breakfast after the cookie gets him started!

My kids are 15, 13, 11 & 11 and I’m sill learning! Some days I feel like I really wonder if my husband & I have any idea what we are doing…but then I’m reminded of what great kids we have and realize we must be doing something right! :) You’re doing a great job, Heather!

Sarah April 27, 2011 at 5:48 pm

I know that when I was a kid, I wasn’t allowed to have sweets very often, which made their allure all the stronger – when I *did* get around sugary things (at other kids’ houses, school, etc), I went totally overboard nuts, even if I didn’t like the actual candy/cake/whatever! Just the fact that it was something I couldn’t get at home made me want to eat all of it I possibly could right then and there, because who knew when the next time I’d get a chance to taste it would be?

So, I think a healthy anything-goes approach is probably better for kids – teaching them to try lots of different types of foods, encouraging them to explore and describe what textures/flavors/sensations they get out of different foods, not being overly restrictive of any one thing, teaching the concept of “sometimes foods”. Not using food/sweets as a “reward” if she finishes all her vegetables or whatever – kids are much more intuitive about their own hungers than adults are, so it’s better not to attach any sort of emotional stigma or status to whatever she wants to eat.
Having a healthily relaxed attitude to all foods (including sugar) yourself is probably going to be the best teacher she can have. :) Good luck! :)

HEAB April 27, 2011 at 9:56 pm

Thanks Sarah – we were the house that the kids always came to for their sugar fix. Hoping to find a good balance, and I agree with your advice – I’d rather not attach any emotional stigmas or status to foods. Wise words my friend. :)

Becca April 27, 2011 at 5:51 pm

You have SO MANY rules for yourself already! I doubt you need more. Being loose with food–eating sugar, grains, etc. in moderation, having fun with it, being creative (as you always are)–will create a positive message for a child, I think. No obsession or restrictions, no sense that anything is “off limits”! I want my future child to be able to have a sundae for breakfast once in a while and not freak out about it. I’d go ahead and model that!

Heather April 27, 2011 at 5:56 pm

I have been thinking about my “healthy” dessert preferences lately. I don’t feel well eating a lot of sugar, but I looove creamy chocolately things!

I try to limit my sweet meals and have them as treats/snacks. I try to eat real food as much as possible, but if I am craving something, I have it.

That being said, I crave my “healthy” treats and find them more delicious and satisfying than a huge slab of chocolate cake with frosting. I was at a party last week and was served a piece of birthday cake, which I planned to eat with relish! However, It was not that tasty and I found myself dreaming of oaties and coconut cream.

I am sticking with what tastes good and makes my body happy!

RunEatRepeat April 27, 2011 at 6:03 pm

I planned to make salmon cakes tomorrow night, but now I want to move it up a day!

Dea April 27, 2011 at 6:05 pm

it’s so hard to make sure you have balance to show some healthy habits. It’s something I struggle with. With Trixie I talk a lot about what is in her food, vitimins, minerals and such and what they do for her body. I don’t want her to obsess about it, but I want her to understand that she needs a balance. When I phrase it in terms of how it’ll help her with her gymnastics she becomes interested.
I am lucky thought, becasue when my kids won’t eat I just need to set a big ol’ plate of crudite in front of them and they go to town! Funny kids.

HEAB April 27, 2011 at 9:53 pm

Dea,
I love that Trixie and Hudson will go to town on a big plate of veggies. Hope to say the same thing about Summer some day. :)

Cate April 27, 2011 at 6:12 pm

I think the fact that you care about the image you present is already proof that you will be a great example for her. My own parents really didn’t care at all, which is why I’ve had to undo a lot of habits I picked up in childhood, like soda and junk food every day, but they never had weight problems (unfortunately, I broke the family mold and did have to overcome that). Somehow I don’t see you making that mistake, HEAB. You’re already so much more aware of what makes for truly nourishing food than most.

Holly @ The Runny Egg April 27, 2011 at 6:17 pm

HEAB you are such a good mom. I know I have had some pretty bad eating habits that I picked up from my parents and you are so smart for thinking about how your eating will impact Summer.

Oh and what an adorable picture of Summer. Her face is just priceless.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey April 27, 2011 at 6:17 pm

I swear, Summer is the cutest little nugget!

Emily Elizabeth @ Kisses for Breakfast April 27, 2011 at 6:19 pm

Awesome – awesome – post Heather. My husband and I have already made changes to our lifestyle as a result of having Annabelle, but you’re right – I think we still have lots to learn as well. It’s going to be an interesting journey!

Julie April 27, 2011 at 6:21 pm

I love this post! Having a toddler has forced me to really see what I am eating and try to set a better example for my son and myself. This is the main reason why I am not drinking soda anymore (only as a treat!) Whatever I am eating or drinking, my 2 year old wants to try…so I am learning that I need to set the best example too.

Katie April 27, 2011 at 6:25 pm

I love my sweets as much or more than the average person, but I make sure to fill up on savory first. That’s part of the reason I can’t do sweet breakfasts anymore. They don’t even sound good.

Nighttime is a different story.

Mama Pea April 27, 2011 at 6:29 pm

You pretty much just wrote what I wrote as the intro to my book. Except for me it was Diet Coke and Balance bars.

Good job, Mama.

Alexandra (Veggin' Out in the Kitchen) April 27, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Summer’s hair is getting long! And beautiful! :)

That’s an interesting point! It makes sense to show her stuff you want her to be eating while she’s young so that she will develop healthy habits quickly. You’re such a good mother to think about things like that! :) If I come nocking on your door 15 years from now, it will be for advice on how to raise the perfect child ;) I think you’ve got it all figured out :)

And I think I know what I’m eating for dinner after seeing you’re bowl of sauteed veggies :D

Courtney April 27, 2011 at 6:34 pm

Very interesting, thought-provoking post :) The picture of Summer in her chair is precious!

vanillasugarblog April 27, 2011 at 6:39 pm

my goodness your baby is just growing like crazy!
didn’t you just give birth? LOL

HEAB April 27, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Vanillasugar,
I know, right? I can’t believe it’s been 6 months already!

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) April 27, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Motherhood sounds amazing in so many ways, but the unexpected things you learn while teaching and setting a good example are priceless! I think it’s wonderful that Summer’s best interest makes you think about what’s also in your best interest. :)

Those salmon cakes.. Yummmm! I had a salmon burger for dinner. Salmon rocks!

Melissa Cline April 27, 2011 at 7:33 pm

I hear you! The baby makes us eat way better than we would otherwise, because whatever we have, he gets. The only exception is beverages but I think he’s onto us!

It’d be way too basic for someone like you but I like the points the blogger makes about developing good eating philosophy/habits (over worrying about the nutrient content of each individual food) here: http://itsnotaboutnutrition.squarespace.com/

HEAB April 27, 2011 at 9:43 pm

Melissa,
I like that post b/c it’s so simple: Go, Slow, and Woah. Sounds like a good way to explain it to kids. Thank you! :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) April 27, 2011 at 7:44 pm

“However, a jar filled with ice-cream is not something I would want to make Summer for breakfast”

and the
“don’t want Summer to see me shoveling down endless bowls of stevia whipped air. ”

SO WELL SAID!!! I think that parenthood teaches us SO MUCH about ourselves. Not only do we raise a child, but we also raise ourselves, clarify things in our own mind, rethink things, come to new understandings and new revelations.

And who said parenthood was not going to change me? (Me..I said that when I was pregnant…oh, how I laugh at myself now!!)

I love the open-endedness of this post, Heather. You dont have all the answers, you dont know how the path is going to unfold, no one does. And you are being upfront about that, too.

We did BLW and it worked great for us. We have a 4 yr old who eats raw broccoli for breakfast and chocolate coconut kale chips for snacks :) Not saying our way is perfect, either, but for us, at least the eating thing is on track with us. None of those power battles over kids who are “picky” and wont eat a zillion things.

Great post, my friend! :)

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 27, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Wow. It must just completely change your perspective when you start noticing that everything you do is being watched, and taken in. No wonder you are learning so much about yourself :) I love reading your reflections on motherhood.

Abbey April 27, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Well said, friend. What wise thoughts and revelations you are having. It’s really wonderful and comforting to read!

Thank you for sharing things like this. It gives your blog such a substantial component that is truly honest and beautiful.

xo

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner April 27, 2011 at 10:36 pm

You are such a wonderful mother!! :D

Hannah April 27, 2011 at 11:32 pm

Heather: you are amazing. I just fell a little more in love with you while reading this post – not “stevia whipped air” – YES. It worries me when I read blogs that are shifting more and more to substitutions that they’ve classified to themselves are “natural”, but which beyond the sphere of “healthy eating blogs” might be viewed from a different perspective. Summer is going to have such an inspiring woman to look up to as she grows – just like I do, reading this blog, today :)

Patty April 28, 2011 at 12:16 am

While I totally see your point, I don’t think it’s EVER a good idea to demonize or fear foods, especially around children. Such thinking leads to disordered habits around food because guilt becomes an attitude associated with eating. I don’t think guilt has any place in eating! Food is just food. It nourishes us and then we get over it.

Thinking about it/analyzing it/being puritanical and anxious about it is far more detrimental than eating ice cream for breakfast. Trust me – I speak from experience. I think it would be far healthier for Summer to see her mother eating both ice cream and spinach without making it a “big deal” – enjoying ALL food in moderation, no guilt attached. Such an attitude truly leads to healthy, intuitive, balanced approach to eating and living.

HEAB April 28, 2011 at 9:33 am

Patty,
Yes, I’m really just striving for balance as I would never want Summer to have rules when it comes to food. Thanks for your advice – it helps put things in perspective, especially knowing that you speak from experience.

Annie D @ Annie's Simple Life April 28, 2011 at 6:41 am

I think you are a fantastic mother with a BEAUTIFUL HEAB-LET!!!!! :)

Heather @ kissmybroccoli April 28, 2011 at 7:00 am

What a very good point! I totally understand what you mean! I go through little food phases all the time, especially with my breakfasts and I find that the sweeter my breakfast is, the more I actually crave sweets throughout the day. I love the thought of a baby’s taste buds…so innocent and virgin to everything until the day comes for you to make the decision, what will I give my child to eat that is both delicious and nutritious?

“What do I want Summer to see me eating? REAL FOOD” <- LOVE it!

I absolutely love this idea of introducing Summer to solids and if I ever decide to have children some day, I will definitely do the same!

Riss April 28, 2011 at 7:08 am

I can’t tell you HOW glad I am that you brought up this topic. I’ve been thinking about this A LOT lately. Over the past few months, I’ve really been struggling with how I view food, fitness, and a “healthy” lifestyle. I can go to the extremes sometimes, which snowballs into obsession and compulsive behavior–none of which are “healthy.” A dear friend of mine sat me down and suggested I start eating as if I were pregnant, thinking about what I needed to support another human being, rather than just myself… and it’s totally changed my way of thinking.

Right now, I only have myself to really care for. But I know one day I’ll be making decisions that affect another person. Just the fact that you are aware of this and thinking about this NOW when she is so young is wonderful. So many mother’s don’t even consider how their eating habits affect their children–especially daughters. I know sweet little Summer will grow up to have healthy habits and a healthy mindset about her life and her body, because YOU modeled it for her all along!

HEAB April 28, 2011 at 9:31 am

Thanks so much Riss. Carrying a baby and nursing over this past 18 months (can’t believe it’s been that long!) has definitely changed the way I eat. There’s been a lot fewer rules, and a lot more beef! Hehe – I needed iron. Anyway, that is such a good tip – eat like you’re carrying a baby. Need to remember to share that with others as well as myself.

Meghan @ StruggleMuffins April 28, 2011 at 7:18 am

I’m very similar when it comes to carefully-concocted, stevia-filled desserty foods. I think as far as they’re part of a diet that’s balanced overall, there’s nothing wrong with them. You’re listening to your body when you eat sweet but healthy treats like stevia-sweetened black been brownies and by doing so you’ll set a good example for Summer, helping her to cultivate a mind-body connection that will serve her well. I think you’re inspiring and I’m sure Summer will see you as such as she grows older :)

Lissa April 28, 2011 at 7:20 am

I think you’re going to be setting a wonderful example for Summer and this is as good a time as any to rethink our eating habits (with a newborn).I think about this every day … Maya is going to be starting solids soon, too, and my husband doesn’t eat a lot of sweets but if he does, he eats REAL ice cream, for example … so I think I’m in a similar boat–especially with a disordered eating past, I don’t want her to see me skimping on calories or manipulating/destroying my food. I want us to be able to all eat the same things. I, too, have a way to go yet and am glad to know I’m not alone in this realization. With some reframing about how we think about food, our daughters are going to grow up strong and secure in their relationship to food. Great post!

HEAB April 28, 2011 at 9:28 am

Lissa,
Yes, thank you for the encouragement. I know you totally get it, and this means a lot coming from you. Here’s to setting a good example for our girls. :)

Baking 'n' Books April 28, 2011 at 8:09 am

Oh my gosh – Summer looks SO MUCH LIKE YOU in this picture!!! I always saw more of CD in her until now!

I really like this post – while I love your creations – I’ve felt that there is a lot of substituting going on and although not “fake” food – it kind of seems that way at times. It’s like “just eat real food” already!!! Nothing against you – I mean in general – y’know what I mean ;)

You said it so well so you know :)

Chandra April 28, 2011 at 8:36 am

You will forever be learning new things on this awesome journey of motherhood!

Jessica April 28, 2011 at 8:51 am

Being a Mom truly is one of the most amazing things ever. My son totally brings a sense of peace and purpose to my life.

My son had the same exact “dining room chair.” It was the best : )

Summer is beautiful!!!!!

HEAB April 28, 2011 at 9:26 am

Thank you Jessica. :)

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods April 28, 2011 at 9:02 am

We are having nutty weather here in DC as well. Lots of storms, but I kinda like it. ;)

Sarah @ See Sarah Eat April 28, 2011 at 9:09 am

I don’t even have kids yet but I love the idea of them eating whatever I am eating when that time comes. Perhaps this approach would help my husband make healthier choices too? Summer is so cute and I just love that dark hair of hers ;)

Heather April 28, 2011 at 10:06 am

That booster is so great, we used it as long as possible! Even more than our big wooden high chair, and traveled with it, too.
You are smart to be considering your diet and meals with summer, kids watch and understand so much more than they can express. When my 4 yr old was 3 he would pretend he was a hibachi chef and give “diet cokes” to my husband and I. Then I realized I did not want him drinking diet soda, EVER, and we stopped drinking it. Now it’s water, or green tea. Still working on some of the other stuff, but it’s never too early to set a good example, IMHO.
Good for you, HEAB :)

zoe (and the beatles) April 28, 2011 at 11:08 am

lovelovelove this post. and i love the fact that you took a moment to truly consider how your actions might affect your daughter. already such a good mommy :) but i agree with what a lot of other commenters have said — balance is key! i wasn’t allowed sugar for the longest time so when it was introduced i think my brother and i went a little crazy! there is definitely a way to do it without stirring up these crazy relationships with food most women have (myself included). good luck :)

HEAB April 28, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Thanks Zoe, and yes, striving for balance. :)

Alyssa April 28, 2011 at 11:55 am

That picture!
It’s just…
SQUEE!!!!!!

And kids definitely pay more attention to what we do than what we say. This has been one of my biggest struggles. I want my kids to see me eating healthy foods with an occasional treat. I’d like to think I’m setting a decent example. It seems that you are setting a GREAT one!

HEAB April 28, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Thanks Alyssa, and re. the photo, I know! I just want to squeeze her, especially that little hand. I LOVE her hands! :)

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 28, 2011 at 12:29 pm

Heather I think you’re doing a wonderful job of learning as you go and we’re learning from you. Baby-led weaning sounds like a great method, although I can imagine it can be tough because you want her to start with certain foods! :)

Roz April 28, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Summer is ONE lucky girl!!! You are setting a GREAT example – balance and moderation with treats built in! I LOVE the “you lookin’ at me”? look in the booster seat. Damn she’s cute!!! Have a great day Heather!

melody polakow: Vegan for 3.33 a day April 28, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Being a mother has taught me more about myself and life than anything else… it is truly a mindblowing experience!

re gingerbread, I’m so glad you liked it!… totally feel free to post about it!

charlotte April 28, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Isn’t it funny how different things look when we look at them through the lens of our children? I’ve done the same thing myself many times. This idea of what example we set for our kids with food has haunted me ever since I had my first. I haven’t figured it out yet. But I think I’m getting better.
P.S. Summer just has the sweetest little face ever! I love her expressions! I bet she cracks you and CD up all the time.

HEAB April 28, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Charlotte,
She does. Hours of entertainment – can’t wait until she starts talking. :)

Sagan April 28, 2011 at 2:38 pm

I love that you are thinking about Summer’s reactions to your lifestyle choices… not enough parents take that type of thing into consideration. A+ for motherhood! :D

(Although that brownie parfait sounds deliciously tasty. Mmm).

Little Ballerina April 28, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Hey HEAB :)

I rarely comment {but always read!!} so I’m coming out of the shadows here haha.

I applaud you for taking this into consideration–what you want your daughter to see you eat. Children learn from their parents, whether it be good habits or bad, whether they are 6 months old or 16 years old.

For years I thought that if I were to ever have children, I just would never feed them sugar, junk food.. I’d raise them on the healthiest items out there possible! Vegetables, fruit, whole grains, all natural, organic.. the likes.

But then I realized something: Is that me controlling what they eat so that they are healthy, or is that me controlling what they eat so that I don’t eat that stuff, OR if I were to feed them that way, would it even work?? {in reality it was probably so that I wouldn’t eat that stuff.. but now I know that is not the way to live! :P }

My parents raised my sister and I healthily, but we still had treats now and then. We never felt deprived. Chips and soda pop were for birthdays or camping trips, just not every day items. Dessert was allowed, but we didn’t eat it all the time. That way we felt ”included” in what everyone {our friends} were eating and we didn’t feel the need to rebel and go completely against our parents’ wishes {although I do remember eating an entire box of chocolates that were a Christmas gift for someone with my sister one morning… we got in trouble for that. One chocolate led to two, two led to three… you know how it happens ;) }

Like most things, food should be served and enjoyed in moderation, both in quality and quantity. Stevia is all very well to use and consume, same with other HEABified foods, protein ice cream, etc, but with a growing child, especially a young girl, it’s probably important to put more emphasis on foods that are naturally available out there to the world.

I think you are doing an EXCELLENT job mothering, HEAB :) Summer will learn so much from you, and you will learn so much from her, and from yourself as well as you’re already showing. It takes a lot of courage to truly step back and look at ourselves and what we do/eat, even if it isn’t necessarily unhealthy or anything, but to just take a step back and look at ourselves. It can be scary.

You know what foods work for you, you will soon figure out what foods work for Summer, and you will find that happy balance of incorporating HEABified foods mixed with more ”normal” (if you will!) foods for Summer’s knowledge.

I feel like I’ve blabbed on a bit here, and I hope that I’ve made sense :P I guess basically what I wanted to say was simply, well done. A lot of parents don’t think of this issue, and you have. A lot of parents SHOULD, not because they are eating as you do, but because they are eating too many refined/processed/manufactured foods and thereby teaching their children that that is okay. With you it’s the other way around :p, but it’s still important to let Summer know that all foods are good, not only HEABified ones :)

Take care :)

HEAB April 28, 2011 at 7:46 pm

So well put Little Ballerina. You made total sense – THANK YOU. :)

Kath (My Funny Little Life) April 28, 2011 at 3:42 pm

This is very thoughtful … taking the view your daughter has of what you do. I really like that! :)

Kimberly @ Healthy Strides April 28, 2011 at 4:09 pm

I love how you put it – would you want your daughter seeing what you ate. There’s nothing inherently wrong with the meal but you don’t want a kid seeing it as typical. This post really made me think today as I was eating my lunch at a not-so-healthy place. I don’t eat there often but do I want my son to see me at that way once he’s born? The answer is no. Definitely a lot to think about in the next 11 weeks – and 18 years. Thanks!!!

Eleanor@eatinglikeahorse April 28, 2011 at 5:12 pm

What a brilliant attitude… Summer couldn’t ask for a better mum :-)

Alaina April 28, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Oh my gosh, I just can’t get over how cute she is!!!

I can see that you are already a great mom and I look forward to looking back at these posts when I start having children. :-)

Kristen - Anywhere There's An Airport April 28, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Hi Heather!
I absolutely loved this post! I have already thought about how I want to feed my “one day” children. The Spaniard and I have had many a discussion on the topic. I have no doubt that children will challenge me to the core, even down to food choices. I love that you wrote about this and are sharing your journey with us. It is SO appreciated! There is so much we can all learn from one another.
Thank you!

Miava April 28, 2011 at 9:37 pm

I think I’m late commenting but…. When my girls started eating solids, I gave carbs to them last. I gave veggies first. I just ground up whatever I happened to cook in a $5 food mill. I placed peas on their plates. I didn’t introduce fruit for about a month after veggies.
So i suggest introducing veggies first! And when she is eating everything, I advise still putting veggies first on her plate and let her eat it/feel it awhile, then meat, then carbs. They are 4 and 6 now and both LOVE veggies.

Another weird thing I did for my tiny tots? Food presentation. I still do.

Anyway that’s just what I did and it worked great. Your blogs show that you’re an awesome mommy. You and Summer will be great! (And she is REALLY really SUPER cute!!)

HEAB April 29, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Miava,
Yeah, that’s pretty much what we plan to do. Chris and I eat mostly veggies and meat for lunch and dinner. Do eat a lot of potatoes though. Will give her those and no plans to give grains for a while. We don’t eat much fruit ourselves.

HEAB April 29, 2011 at 2:33 pm

P.S. Forgot to say thank you for the tips and for your kind words. :)

Meagan April 29, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Heather, you are SPOT on. Summer is SO incredibly blessed to have you!

Monica April 30, 2011 at 10:02 pm

Very interesting point – I am still trying to manage my eating style knowing that I am growing a little one and it is so hard. My eating to date only impacted me, and now it impacts so much more. Yet I am still struggling to behave the way I want to with my eating habits, perhaps I need some goals. :)

Christin@purplebirdblog May 1, 2011 at 1:05 pm

I love how open you are about all of this! You have such a wonderful head on them shoulders of yours, and the fact that you share these little trips through your mind are so appreciated! If I ever have a kiddo I hope to be half as awesome a mom as you are! xo

Barbara May 2, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Great post! I want my kids to not “politicize’ food. I don’t want them to watch me eat and think anything of it. Not to judge, have a ‘good’ bad’ dichotomy, not to fear eating sugar or fat. Enjoy life. Enjoy food. Eat what you want and get on with the day. I really do not want my children to have a connotative definition towards any food or hangups! You are doing such a fantastic job.Summer is so beautiful!
xxoxoxo