A Heart For Ginger

by HEAB on April 28, 2011

Remember the cookies I received from Lark Fine Foods?

They arrived on Ash Wednesday, and since I gave up sugar for Lent, I decided to freeze the cookies until after Easter. Sometimes CD gets a sweet tooth late at night…

At least he left me one of each. ;)

The salted rosemary shortbread was divine – imagine a sweet buttery cookie with just a hint of rosemary. I never would have thought to add rosemary to cookie batter (if you can believe that), but ’twas a match made in heaven. Loved the Cha-Cha as well, a chocolate cookie with a spicy kick. However, my favorite was definitely the Mighty Ginger as it tasted like a big chewy gingersnap, and I’ve had ginger on the brain ever since.

I had a bad experience with ginger once. It involved a bowl of Thai food that tasted like Lemon Pledge, and for years afterwards, I feared ginger. Fresh ginger is easy to overdo, but if you get it just right, it can take your baked goods to a whole new level.

I made a spice cake today using fresh ginger.

It did not taste like Lemon Pledge.

Many thanks to Melody for sharing her recipe with me, and now I’ll share my version with you.

The Teenage Taste April 28, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Mmmmmm…looks delicious, Heather! I’ve never been much of a ginger fan though. :-?
Have a great day!

Holly @ The Runny Egg April 28, 2011 at 3:27 pm

What a cute cake! I agree, ginger is so easy to overuse and when it is empowering I find it inedible :(

Rosemary shortbread sounds super good!

R @ Learning As I Chop April 28, 2011 at 3:27 pm

I LOVE ginger in my desserts. Delicious!

Emily April 28, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Wow those rosemary shortbread cookies sound amazing! I’m not sure I would have been so lucky to have one of each left.

Also, chickpeas in a cake – something I haven’t tried yet! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Katie April 28, 2011 at 3:29 pm

I eat ginger in every form. Fresh, dried, candied, powdered, in baked goods, you name it. The header on my blog is a plate of ginger cookies!

Nice heart cake, by the way. :)

Quix April 28, 2011 at 3:38 pm

I LOVE ginger. I can easily overdo it (to others) and be fine. Those cookies sound divine!

Kath (My Funny Little Life) April 28, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Ginger is one of my favorite spices! I love it in marinades, stir fries, and even put it into my smoothies. I also love those ginger candies from the Asian supermarket … (I also have a sweet tooth.) The cake looks great, and I love the idea of using chick peas! This really gets me in the mood for baking!

Too bad it’s midnight approaching here already. And I don’t have any chickpeas. :(

Tomorrow …

:D

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats April 28, 2011 at 3:44 pm

I love ginger, but have totally overdone it at times in recipes so I can totally relate to being scarred (for me it is usually temporary). Great recipe.

lauren @ spiced plate April 28, 2011 at 3:47 pm

This sounds and looks AMAZING — i like the idea of using chickpeas…I can never get enough of gingery things. yum…

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) April 28, 2011 at 3:49 pm

This sounds amazing! I am such a spice cake fan, as are the boys! I can’t wait to make it!

Haley April 28, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Ooh! I absolutely adore ginger and am always looking for ways to not use too much sugar in my recipes… I’ll definitely be trying these =)

Desi @ The Palate Peacemaker April 28, 2011 at 3:56 pm

I love ginger! And I especially like spice cakes, spice cookies, spice anything and everything! This looks SO yummy, Heather. As I’ve mentioned to you, I’m getting into baking without sugar and using stevia instead, and this fits the bill perfectly! You’re quickly becoming my sugar-free guru! Thank you :)

HEAB April 29, 2011 at 9:45 am

Desi,
So glad you’re liking the recipes. Sugar is not always necessary. :)

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 28, 2011 at 4:10 pm

I can’t wait to make this :)

Lauren @ wwob April 28, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Oh I feel you on the bad experiences ruining foods… Mine involves pepitas and being food poisoned on an 18 hour flight to China. Some of the worst 2 days of my life.
I am so down for this recipe! Chickpeas in scones – Keepin it fresh!!

HEAB April 29, 2011 at 9:46 am

Lauren,
Oh gosh, I had a similar experience. It involved sugar free gummi bears and an overnight train ride in Spain. Sorbitol is evil. Pure evil.

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free April 28, 2011 at 4:50 pm

ohmygosh-YUM! I love ginger it is the best. And it is interesting made out of chickpeas-high protein! I gotta go get some maple extract to make this ;)

Baking 'n' Books April 29, 2011 at 1:44 pm

I love maple extract! I put it in everything. Even with yogurt.

I assume the picture is just of one slice though and not of the whole recipe HEAB?

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) April 28, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Chickpeas in baked goods…you’re on a beanie dessert kick and that’s so cool you’re experimenting with new foods/flavor combos!

The lemon pledge part…haha! And yes, fresh ginger can totally! overwhelm things if you’re not careful. The first time I ever juiced with fresh ginger in my juice I think I grew hair on my chest…it was soooo strong and overpowering! Since then, have figured out that a lil dab will do ya when it comes to fresh ginger!

I love the heart shape and coconut cream frosting :)

Emily April 28, 2011 at 5:03 pm

I had a bad experience with ginger in a green juice. I still can’t bring myself to put ginger in my juice, but I’m getting a taste for ginger tea back, and that spice cake looks delicious!

Tawnee April 28, 2011 at 6:19 pm

OMG — I used to say that pickled ginger tastes like cleaning products (like pledge), but no one ever agreed! Now I have you lol!!! For some reason, though, I acquired the taste for ginger (in all forms) and got over the “cleaning product” curse haha, and now I love it! Soooo…that ginger cake looks amazing! It helps that I just made brownies with black beans for the first time, and they were amazing, so I trust that beans/chickpeas work well in sweet baked goods :)

HEAB April 29, 2011 at 9:48 am

Tawnee,
Cleaning products – Yes!!! Glad we have both rediscovered the ginger love. :)

Sarah April 28, 2011 at 6:20 pm

I used to make this really great, sweet cornbread with olive oil & rosemary (I think it’s a Martha Stewart recipe) that had a delightfully surprising sweet/savory/herby flavor combo going on. Bet the shortbread would be great :)

HEAB April 29, 2011 at 9:50 am

Sarah,
That sounds great – Melody, the blogger who inspired the spice cake, makes a cornbread with rosemary. Thanks for the reminder that I need to make it as you know I love my cornbread recipes! :)

Angel7 April 28, 2011 at 6:42 pm

I like ginger cookies. And I actually like the real ginger that you eat at Chinese restaurants.

The cake looks lovely :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss April 28, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Yum! that spice cake sounds delicious. I’ve never baked with ginger except for in gingerbread but those taste mainly like molasses anyway.

lindsay April 28, 2011 at 7:11 pm

Rosemary? Thats would be lovely in a biscotti. I love it in GF bread loaf. I bet tahini or cashew would go great with it too.

HEAB April 29, 2011 at 9:51 am

Lindsay,
I have no doubt that tahini smeared all over rosemary gluten free bread would be amazing. I’ll come over this weekend, and we can try it. I’ll bring the tahini. :)

Annie D @ Annie's Simple Life April 28, 2011 at 7:52 pm

YUMMMMMMMMMMMY

jen @ taste life April 28, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Your recipes make me smile :)

Mariah@Apples"N"Oats April 28, 2011 at 8:54 pm

hmm…i would have never though of rosemary either!!I love that he demolished your cookie stash and i alos love the looks of that ginger cake!!!

Ellie@fitforthesoul April 28, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Yayyyy! this sounds delicious! so glad it turned out well. I agree, fresh ginger is quite potent but oh-so-good! It’s practically in every dish within my home–at least the ones that my momma makes :P

Melissa @ TryingToHeal April 28, 2011 at 9:08 pm

i agree on the ginger overdue. i was plagued with too much when i was younger in some meal or another and but when i started getting tummy problems and everyone said ginger would work, i gave it a shot. no harm no foul now!

Hannah April 28, 2011 at 11:39 pm

Woot woot! I’ve just spent the past ten minutes googling dessert hummus recipes (including yours), but I think I just found my alternate chickpea recipe for tonight! :)

HEAB April 29, 2011 at 9:52 am

Hannah – you’ll love it with the coconut cream. Just finished off what was left of the cake for breakfast. Even better today served warm. Enjoy!

Tasha @ Voracious April 29, 2011 at 3:05 am

HAHA! I can’t believe he ate all the cookies. Yes, at least he left you one of each. Husbands, aren’t they just the greatest? ;-)

I love the sound of that ginger cookie. I’m a huge fan of gingerbread, ginger desserts in general. Looks tasty!

HEAB April 29, 2011 at 9:53 am

Tasha,
I know, right? And CD wonders why I hide the good stuff from him. ;)

Pure2raw twins April 29, 2011 at 4:34 am

love ginger!!! this cake sounds wonderful

we have to thank you sooooo much for stopping by our sisters booth, it means a lot. you are the best!!

love ya

HEAB April 29, 2011 at 9:54 am

Yes, I loved meeting Jennifer. Just wished you guys could have been there. Would you mind emailing the pic? I’d love to put it on the blog if she wouldn’t mind. Oh, and you all look so much alike – I recognized her right away. Beautiful glowing family. :)

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat April 29, 2011 at 7:13 am

The rosemary cookies sound interesting. I had lavendar in sugar cookies once – not a fan, they tasted like perfume!

HEAB April 29, 2011 at 9:55 am

Claire,
I love the smell of lavender, and I know a lot of people love baking with it, but honestly, I have no desire to eat it. I think I would feel the same way, but rosemary on the other hand? Now, that was meant for eating! :)

Meghan @ StruggleMuffins April 29, 2011 at 7:23 am

Ooo ooo! Any baked good that involves chickpeas is a friend of mine – this looks divine!

Jennie April 29, 2011 at 9:22 am

Have you tried the Almondie Almond Butter yet?

HEAB April 29, 2011 at 9:56 am

Jennie,
No, not yet. Need to get on that. Several samples to get to that had to wait until after Lent. Definitely looking forward to the Almondie. I can’t wait to use it to make almond milk. Have you had it?

Chad April 29, 2011 at 10:24 am

Rosemary is one of my favorite flavors. Can you think of anything that a hint of rosemary wouldn’t improve?

Yoonmee @ MoveLaughAloha April 29, 2011 at 10:38 am

I love ginger cake! Thanks so much for the recipe.

Natalia - a side of simple April 29, 2011 at 12:22 pm

I like the little heart (maybe for the whole royal wedding theme?)! I’m sorry to hear about your bad ginger/Thai experience! Those scars can last for a long time, trust me, I know.

Glad you remedied that :)

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner April 29, 2011 at 12:53 pm

I love that so many of your recipes are NO SUGAR ADDED now! :D YAY! This looks delicious!

Mag the Brazil Nut Pusher April 29, 2011 at 2:41 pm

OK- so I’m reading this as I’m eating the carrot oats from your blog the other day as I was excited about the idea of carrot cake oats. I topped it with walnuts, coconut, raisins, and some pineapple (mmmmmmmmyum). I’d like to imagine what it will be like with a bit of ginger cake crumbled atop. OHHH ginger goodness!!! Ginger cake/coconut kefir parfait? Okay how soon is tomorrow coming? LOL!

Marty April 29, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Oooooh I LOVE ginger in any form! And Heather you made this cake especially for me, it’s veganized! Whoohoo! I’m off to the kitchen to make it, though I’m going to try a can of organic soy beans, as I’m out of chickpeas and who can wait to go the grocery store! And coconut cream, coming right up! I even have a little heart-shaped 8″ cake pan I’ll use!

I buy candied Ginger, rubbing as much sugar off as I can, and take it on the road for snack food (ESP when I’m traveling). Nothing like hot fresh Ginger tea with honey or stevia when you’ve got a cold or feeling cold, so soothing!

Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble April 29, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Rosemary cookies?!! Yummy!! I don’t have much of a sweet tooth but add a salty twist and I’m in!

McKayla (green groats) April 29, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Mmmmm. Nothing beats ginger! That spice cake looks delicious, especially with your coconut cream on top!

Rosemary in cookie dough sounds great too!

Lorne April 30, 2011 at 3:38 am

There is nothing worse ( my wee opinion) than crystallised ginger! EWWWW YUCK. But I do love love love all other forms of ginger. I love ginger loaf and ginger beer especially.
Chickpeas in baking – I love it!

HEAB April 30, 2011 at 6:46 am

Lorne,
Ugh, agreed. I bought a bag to help with first trimester nausea, and I still can’t even think about it…that and ginger ale. BLECH!

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli May 1, 2011 at 9:34 am

I used to hate ginger (of course my only experience with it at the time was the pickled ginger at sushi restaurants and I still think that stuff is totally disgusting), but I’ve definitely come around. I love snacking on candied ginger after meals even though I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea!

I’ve never used fresh ginger in baked goods. Definitely curious about your cake! Sounds/looks delicious…and coconut cream is an absolute MUST! I swear I’ll never get tired of that stuff!

Sara Grambusch May 5, 2011 at 9:59 am

I just can not use enough ginger. I LOVE the bitter/spicy that makes everyone cringes. My taste buds are freaks.