A Magical Monday Morning

by HEAB on May 2, 2011

I told you she is growing up too fast…

summer9.jpg g1.jpg

From newborn to 6-months. Amazing, no?

For more photos from Summer’s 6-month shoot, please click here. My favorites are the black and white series Emily took of Summer sitting in CD’s lap. CD will rest his head on Summer’s belly, and she just giggles like crazy. While Emily and her husband, Chris, packed up after the shoot, CD started doing the belly trick. Emily heard Summer laughing and quickly grabbed her camera, getting a few final pics before we left for lunch. Emily, they are all magical. Thanks again for recording so many memories for us this year. :)

Another magical thing in my life?

IMG_5501_2.JPG

Breakfast!

Melissa suggested I try her quinoa flake power breakfast. Only problem? I was quinoa flakeless this morning. Solution: make my own quick cooking quinoa.

First, toast quinoa in a 350℉ oven. Watch carefully and remove when the aroma of toasted quinoa starts to fill your kitchen, 10 minutes or so.

Allow to cool and then grind your toasted quinoa in a blender. Any blender should do, but you might have to stop blending and stir the quinoa with a fork a few times.

Voila. Quinoa flour.

Quinoa flour can be subbed for whole wheat flour in any recipe, and it also makes a great hot cereal. For my breakfast this morning, I brought 1/2 cup of the flour, 1 cup water, 1 cup HEABified coconut milk, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt to a boil and then whisked over low heat until thick – less than 5 minutes. Toppings included more cinnamon and Ground Nut Butter Co. chocolate and plain almond butters. I love these nut butters!!! The chocolate tastes like chunks of a slightly bitter dark chocolate bar, and it melted all over my quinoa. Delicious. Why don’t my homemade almond butters ever taste this fresh? Not sure if it’s the almonds I use or my roasting time. Oh well, thankfully I still have a few more servings of Shawn’s samples – I don’t want them to end!

What made your morning magical?

Julia May 2, 2011 at 10:26 am

I made Katie’s Red Velvet Pancakes this morning. They definitely made my morning magical (and delicious!)
The photos are gorgeous! Summer is such a cutie.

Victoria (District Chocoholic) May 2, 2011 at 10:27 am

Every single photo of your family looks positively beautiful. It must be gentic.

My magical morning? Getting in a great training swim towards a private racing goal I have :) .

HEAB May 2, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Victoria,
I didn’t know you were such a swimmer. Fueled by chocolate no doubt. :)

Victoria (District Chocoholic) May 2, 2011 at 2:47 pm

I swam 4 years in college – and when I swim with other folks around here and they comment on my speed, I tell them that they ought to try eating chocolate every day – it’s obviously what does it!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday May 2, 2011 at 10:29 am

Whoa, that breakfast sounds awesome! I’ve never tried making quinoa into a flour before. I’m going to get on that.

I’m also going to take a look at the 6mo baby shoot. I LOVE looking at baby pictures!

Katie May 2, 2011 at 10:29 am

Coffee made my morning magical. It does every day. I am an easy girl to please at 6 am. :)

HEAB May 2, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Katie,
Ah yes, the regular coffee is back in my life, and it’s good…really really good.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) May 2, 2011 at 10:32 am

Tony making me laugh! It makes every day great! I love the photos and can’t believe how big Summer is getting. I hope you have an incredible day Heather!

HEAB May 2, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Sarena,
What a sweet way to start the day. :)

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free May 2, 2011 at 10:32 am

SO ADORABLE!!! Her eyes are just amazing when they stare at you :)

My weight workout this morning with a green omelet and fresh omelet made my morning magical!

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free May 2, 2011 at 10:33 am

Fresh omelet? Ooops! I meant fresh WATERMELON!

HEAB May 2, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Alex,
Ha – I was wondering what you meant, but I liked the sound of a 2-omelet breakfast. ;)

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing May 2, 2011 at 10:38 am

I still can’t believe how big Summer is! What a doll. <3 I love that you make your own quinoa flour — it's easy to just assume you can't at home, but how rewarding when you try it and it's easy! :) I am waiting for my little miniblender to die (it's definitely on it's way out!) and then I'm looking into something that can handle grains and such for these purposes. I bet it saves some moolah! :)

HEAB May 2, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Katie,
I’m sending death vibes to your miniblender. Sorry, but I want you to be able to make your own flours. It’s so fun and easy! :)

Kate Horning May 2, 2011 at 10:39 am

those pictures are absolutely gorgeous heather!

Erica May 2, 2011 at 10:40 am

As I said yesterday- those pictures are amazing! You are like the cutest family ever. AH! And you look just fabulous. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that I bounce back just like you ;) . BTW- I joined amazon mom today! I will definitely be purchasing diapers that way- thank you for the tip!

HEAB May 2, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Erica,
Oh my goodness, you will. You are active and healthy, and I promise you will bounce back quickly. Don’t even worry about it for a second! And yes, Amazon mom is the BEST!

Emily May 2, 2011 at 10:40 am

Those are beautiful photos, what a gorgeous family. :D

Felicia May 2, 2011 at 10:42 am

she is growing up soo fast ! i love all the photos, Summer is truly one beautiful baby!

Lenna May 2, 2011 at 10:49 am

Wow, Summer is really growing up fast! And she is so beautiful!:) The photos are all awesome. The breakfast isn´t bad looking either:) I am in a mood for some quinoa right now (even when it is time for dinner:)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) May 2, 2011 at 10:52 am

Oh my GOODNESS, Heather!! These photo shoots get better and better. Summer is such a beautiful baby… her eyes, they are like blue diamonds. Emily’s photography is outstanding. All of the pictures are endearing and utterly breathtaking. I would travel to Emily should I ever be blessed with a little one of my own. Her work is remarkable. You have such a gorgeous family… I love all the pictures!! :)

HEAB May 2, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Jenn,
I know – I am grateful that we have Emily in our lives. She started out as our photographer, but now I consider her and her husband wonderful friends. They are such a cute couple and so talented, and I know Emily would be more than happy to photograph your blessed little one some day. :)

Holly @ The Runny Egg May 2, 2011 at 10:58 am

Those pictures are adorable!!! I love her big smile in her 6 month photo. You have such a cute little family :)

What made my morning magical – an easy commute to work!

Dorry May 2, 2011 at 11:00 am

Those pictures are so incredible! I think you’re going to need to take one every 6 months…forever! ;) My morning was made magical by a powerful vinyasa flow class with one of my favorite instructors. Made even more magical because my dear friend was practicing next to me, and it’s rainy and cold outside today, so it was nice to be warm inside.

Kristina @ spabettie May 2, 2011 at 11:06 am

oh, the photos are beautiful – Summer is so cute and you all look incredibly happy and beautiful! :)

I just finished an energizing workout and my “chocolate peanut butter endurance oats” are cooking – a perfect start to a GREAT week!

hope yours continues to be great too!

Marina May 2, 2011 at 11:12 am

Oh my god dear Heather, those pictures are so wonderful!
Whenever I read your blog, I get all giddy and happy and can’t wait to have kids of my own. Still few more years till that :) )

HEAB May 2, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Marina,
It’s truly amazing. You will love being a mama when the time comes. :)

Melissa B. May 2, 2011 at 11:16 am

Oh my goodness, Heather- your pictures are amazing! Emily is an awesome photographer, and the pictures came out great. Summer’s eyes are remarkable- such a gorgeous sky blue!

My fiance makes and packs my breakfast for work every morning, so breakfast always puts a smile on my face :)

HEAB May 2, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Melissa B,
You’ve got a good man. :)

Matt May 2, 2011 at 11:18 am

That breakfast looks delicious!

alli May 2, 2011 at 11:21 am

oh, those are precious! how wonderful to have so many family pictures already. i can’t get over how adorable they are!

i should have checked out your blog before i ate! i would have made that for sure! instead i had a fluffy strawberry smoothie and i’ve got the chills! burr!

my little babe woke up earlier than normal so we enjoyed a 6 mile run together. something about getting in some exercise in the early morning makes for a magical day- i feel like i am ready to tackle whatever comes! :)
have a wonderful monday!

HEAB May 2, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Alli,
I agree. The plan was to take a walk pre-breakfast but it was pouring rain. Now, I’m thinking of doing some yoga while Summer naps instead. :)

Jess@atasteofconfidence May 2, 2011 at 11:22 am

Love the pictures — that is my favorite age!

HEAB May 2, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Jess,
I know. Everyone told me to enjoy Summer as infant b/c she would sleep so much and not require a lot of entertaining, but she is sooo much more fun now. Laughing and babbling. I love just lying on our backs or sides next to one another and talking/playing. It’s so sweet. :)

Evan Thomas May 2, 2011 at 11:22 am

Quinoa flour looks great! I’ll have to try baking with it. Do you have to rinse off the saponin before toasting the quinoa?

HEAB May 2, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Evan,
I usually rinse and drain the quinoa first, but I was too lazy this morning. Only do it b/c I read I should – didn’t even know it was to remove the saponin. Ha, I don’t even know what saponin is…fun word to say though.

Clare @ Fitting It All In May 2, 2011 at 11:26 am

so adorable! You and summer will be so glad you have these when she’s older!

S @ extremebalance.net/blog May 2, 2011 at 11:29 am

Wow! I never realised how blue her eyes are! What a little stunner! (You guys look great, too!)

Jess May 2, 2011 at 11:39 am

Wow those pictures are amazing!! You guys all look great and Summer is absolutely breathtaking!!

Ashley May 2, 2011 at 11:45 am

Your family is just gorgeous. I love the comparison shot from 6 mo ago. Time flies!! The first few with that adorable dress and her big blue eyes are just amazing. Such a sweet little face. :)

HEAB May 2, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Thanks Ashley. She’s got CD’s big blue eyes. :)

Kelsey May 2, 2011 at 11:49 am

absolutely precious!!

and your quinoa breakfast looks yummy. I must try ! my breakfast was nothing special today, but it’s always the most magical time of the morning :)

Desi @ The Palate Peacemaker May 2, 2011 at 11:49 am

Heather! This second round of photos is BEAUTIFUL. Summer is nothing short of angelic, and your family as a whole is simply radiant! What a great idea to have these photo shoots to look back on later…

And YUM QUINOA! I make something very similar with millet instead of quinoa (I’m obsessed with the flavor of millet – it is so nutty!) I posted it on my blog a while back if you want to check it out: http://thepalatepeacemaker.com/2011/01/16/millet-porridge-3/
Now I’ve got to try your quinoa version though!

xo
Desi

Katherine: Unemployed May 2, 2011 at 11:56 am

I didn’t even recognize you in the first pictures! thank you for not being like the real housewives of somewhere and posting nude. black and white with shirts on- so classy

HEAB May 2, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Katherine,
No problem. HEAB is G-rated…well, sometimes my language and CD’s jokes might get a little PG-13. ;)

Ana May 2, 2011 at 12:21 pm

You used the perfect word to describe the photos Heather as they truly are magical! Wonderful family, wonderful photos, and Summer is so precious!!
What made my morning magical today? Getting a proper workout, it was good and a refreshing way to start my week, especially when you know the week will involve lots of studying and 2 final exams ahead.
That quinoa breakfast looks totally creamy and delicious. I am on an oat bran quick this past few days myself :-)

HEAB May 2, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Ana,
I am on an oat bran kick everyday.

Best of luck with your finals – you’re almost there!

Elena @ GagaForGrapefruit May 2, 2011 at 12:27 pm

LOVE the inventive use of quinoa! Will definitely be trying this soon!

Meghan @ StruggleMuffins May 2, 2011 at 12:28 pm

She’s so sweet and adorable! Your breakfasty bowls always look so yummy – I love how simple they are – the simpler, the better – lets you appreciate the subtle flavors.

HEAB May 2, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Meghan,
I could not agree more. Sometimes I like more complicated bowls, but the simple ones are my always favorites. :)

Sami May 2, 2011 at 12:33 pm

what a beautiful baby girl :) i actually have quinoa flakes that i received in a blogger swap! i must try them out now that i’ve seen you use quinoa flour! hehe.

xo.

Lauren (PB&G) May 2, 2011 at 12:34 pm

How cool! My boyfriend just gave me some quinoa this weekend and I was wanting to make it into flour. Now I know how! Thanks, Heather! Beautiful pics of your family, too. =)

HEAB May 2, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Lauren,
You’re welcome. It’s so easy – enjoy! :)

Danielle @ weightsandmeasures May 2, 2011 at 12:38 pm

The photos of Summer are absolutely incredible. Now the hard part begins… choosing which ones to order prints of. I am sure you could spend two fortunes.

Michelle May 2, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Heather: Summer is just beautiful. I love those eyes looking up at the camera. What a beautiful family!!

Abby @ Have Dental Floss, Will Travel May 2, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Oh my goodness, look at those eyes!

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) May 2, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Oh HEAB Summer is just stunning. Not that she needs professional photos to show that off, but many compliments to Emily for her great work, too. Thank you for sharing the magic! :)

Roz May 2, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Awww….looking at this pictures made my morning magical. They are wonderful THank you for sharing.

Kath (My Funny Little Life) May 2, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Aww, beautiful photos! And you’re right, little ones grow so fast!

I love your quinoa bowl! Such a great idea to use flour for a porridge! It must turn out incredibly creamy! :D

HEAB May 2, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Kath, super creamy, but you to whisk whisk whisk or else it gets lumpy.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) May 2, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Quinoa flour at home? You are just so clever and crafty, arent you! Love it, Heather!

It’s amazing what motherhood does..it makes us want to make almost everything we can at home. Well, it did for me.

And that Summer…she is just growing by leaps and bounds!!! And is such a cutie pie!! Good thing you have that new dslr to take a zillion pictures of her :)
Keep me posted on the lens stuff!

Danae @ CookingInCambridge May 2, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Oh goodness, I just can’t wait till I have a real kitchen! These lil Cambridge stoves just aren’t cutting it. And beautiful photos :D

Mary @ Bites and Bliss May 2, 2011 at 3:04 pm

She is growing so fast!! And time has really flown, for you and us all! It seems like just yesterday you announced her birth.

HEAB May 2, 2011 at 8:13 pm

Mary,
I announced the pregnancy a year ago this coming weekend, on Mother’s Day. Can you believe it?!?

Allie (Nutty FlexitALLIEan) May 2, 2011 at 3:15 pm

gorgeous photos! Summer is just beautiful, and has grown so much :-)

Michelle May 2, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Those pictures are stunning. Summer really is growing quickly! I love her happy facial expressions :-)

Thanks for the quinoa flour tutorial. I love that idea!

Syndie May 2, 2011 at 3:22 pm

LOVE the one of y’all on the blanket! Adorable Heather. Thank you for sharing!

The Teenage Taste May 2, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Those pictures of Summer are beyond cute! The different poses are so creative!

natalie (the sweets life) May 2, 2011 at 3:50 pm

just went and looked at her photos—summer is absolutely GORGEOUS!

HEAB May 2, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Thanks Natalie. :)

Emilia May 2, 2011 at 3:53 pm

You’re brilliant– I love how creative you get when you don’t have ingredients on hand. What do I do when I’m out of something? Run to Whole Foods, of course. I really need to start learning from you…. :)

What made my morning wonderful? You’re cookie- dough boy smoothie, of course! It was pure amazing; you know exactly what I love!

HEAB May 2, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Emilia,
Put yourself on a grocery budget, and Whole Foods is usually the first thing to go. ;)

Jen May 2, 2011 at 4:08 pm

They grow SO fast! I remember taking 6 month family pictures with my oldest…and he’ll be 9 this September!!!

Courtney May 2, 2011 at 4:29 pm

One word: awwww! :D

s May 2, 2011 at 4:50 pm

cute family pics :)
and super good idea on the toasted quinoa flour breakfast cereal. next time i have quinoa i will try it out.

Alyssa May 2, 2011 at 5:25 pm

BEAUTIFUL photos (and a brilliant recipe)!

This morning, after dropping the kids off at school and running all my errands, I actually took a much-needed nap. It was VERY nice!

HEAB May 2, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Alyssa,
I love naps and keep telling myself I should take them more often when Summer sleeps. I’m definitely missing out!

megan @ the oatmeal diaries May 2, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Such precious photos!!!
At first your breakfast looked like ice cream. Haha I actually recently bought quinoa flakes but have only used them once! Now I’m inspired to make some yummy breakfasts :)

katie May 2, 2011 at 5:55 pm

These precious pics made my day for sure! How sweet! Beautiful!

Geez Heather, it is amazing how fast time flies, I remember when you first announced you were pregnant, It feels like yesterday! Crazy!

Hope you have a great night!!

HEAB May 2, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Katie,
I know – I announced in on the blog last year on Mother’s Day – one year ago this coming weekend. Crazy, huh? Thanks for sticking with me throughout my journey. :)

melissa @ the delicate place May 2, 2011 at 6:07 pm

she seriously could not be any cuter! zomg. the photos are gorgeous!!!

Emily May 2, 2011 at 6:15 pm

A perfectly ripe mango made my morning magical.

Heather, your family is beautiful! Summer looks so much like you, and she looks like such a healthy, happy baby. Congratulations on the 6-month milestone!

HEAB May 2, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Thanks Emily. :)

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli May 2, 2011 at 6:45 pm

Oh Heather! The pictures of Summer are fantastic! I love the color shot of her looking up! You did a great job picking out that outfit too…it makes the color of her eyes POP!

I’ve been wanting to try Melissa’s quinoa bake but didn’t want to go out and buy a box of flakes! I can’t wait to give this a try! And it’s always great to have a flour that can pump up the protein in a baked good!

Melissa May 2, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Wow ! You really took that up a few levels. I forgot to mention that I also added a few raw unsalted cashews to mine. Great work, that looks amazing.

HEAB May 2, 2011 at 8:05 pm

It was Melissa. Thank you…although I’m sure it would have better with a little cashew crunch. ;)

Natalia - a side of simple May 2, 2011 at 7:30 pm

What a beautiful set of family photos :) So precious!

Opening up a brand new jar of peanut butter made my morning extra special today.

Ellie@fitforthesoul May 2, 2011 at 7:50 pm

*melllllt* these are soooooooo adorable!! I kind of want a baby right now so I can do this! Plus, I love kids. (not in the creepy way) :) what a beautiful family.

And my morning? Carob oats were definitely a hit today for me.

michelle May 2, 2011 at 7:55 pm

I don’t know how you can pick just one. Beautiful….all of them.

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner May 2, 2011 at 8:01 pm

AWWWEEEE!!!! Summer is so cute!! :D Gosh she has grown a lot! When you see them everyday, you can’t really see the changes. But it’s pictures like that that remind you how much she’s changed so quickly!

Lori May 2, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Loved all the pictures! Summer has the most precious smile! Thank you for sharing them!

Baking 'n' Books May 2, 2011 at 8:04 pm

I had no idea it was that easy to make the flour…impressive. Love the photos!

Stop worrying about her growing up too fast girl!! Just enjoy every day and live it :)

Emily May 2, 2011 at 8:07 pm

awww. heart melts.. :) she’s like you. beautiful.

Annie May 2, 2011 at 9:00 pm

Oh my stars GREAT PICTURES!! They’re all fabulous… would have a hard time picking… but love the CD & Summer tummy tickling ones… so sweet

love the quinoa flour idea… interesting!

Salah (My Healthiest Lifestyle) May 2, 2011 at 9:07 pm

I gotta try that quinoa flour!!! SOunds awesome!!

Pure2raw twins May 2, 2011 at 9:13 pm

summer is growing up too fast…love the black and white photos. I love how they tell so little, but with so much more emotion!!

my morning was made magical with some coffee and donuts, something I have been enjoying too much lately, haha

Trisha May 2, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Darling pictures :) I want to try that quinoa flour for some breakfast! Looks delicious. Thanks for the tip!

Meagan May 2, 2011 at 9:58 pm

Eating quinoa flour? I think this is the weirdest I’ve seen! Haha.

Hannah May 2, 2011 at 11:14 pm

Just too much cuteness and adorableness and beauty in those photos. Too much to bear! :)

Love this idea for quinoa flour, too. Surely will be cheaper than the quinoa flakes at my local health food stores, which comes in ridiculously small quantities!

Tita May 3, 2011 at 12:42 am

Heather, you beautiful, amazing pictures made MY morning!!!
Oh, you just filled up my day – I will have these amazing smiles of love, happiness and joy of your family all day in my heart!!!
THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!
And quinoa? On my list today! :)

Joob May 3, 2011 at 4:01 am

THAT.IS.AMAZING. I am going to make my own quinoa flour ASAP… it is so expensive in the store, I never thought to try and make it myself. I have been on a massive quinoa kick the last few weeks. (I went through 2 cups of quinoa in 2 days and just made another 2 cups last night HAH good thing I buy it in bulk)

Dena Harris May 3, 2011 at 6:23 am

I’m still jamming on your rolled oats with unsweetened bakers chocolate and tahini. My fave breakfast of all time!

Shamima May 3, 2011 at 7:48 am

Beautiful pictures. It’s amazing to see how much Summer has grown…the time is going too quickly…have I mentioned that before:)!!

Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) May 3, 2011 at 8:31 am

Beautiful pictures, beautiful family! This made me smile this morning, you’re all so full of joy, it’s wonderful :)

Heather May 3, 2011 at 4:45 pm

She is such a sweet little cherub! The pictures are amazing.

I’ve always heard that you had to really soak and rinse quinoa or it’s bitter. Did you do anything to prevent that or notice any bitterness?

HEAB May 3, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Thanks Heather, and yes, I try to remember to soak the quinoa overnight but I often forget. The toasting helps with the flavor, and no, I didn’t really notice any bitterness.

maria (Maria Makes Muffins) May 3, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Thanks for the quinoa flour recipe.

A few weeks ago I made cooked quinoa into a breakfast porridge, but it took forever to prepare and cook… this would definitely save a ton of time in the morning.

Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) May 3, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Wow what an amazing breakfast. I never know you could make quinoa flakes out of just toasting up quinoa!! This is a life saver :) Beautiful pics btw!!

HEAB May 3, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Thanks Jenny,
I think quinoa flakes are actually quinoa that has been steamed and rolled flat. So the flour isn’t quite the same, but it does cook much faster than regular quinoa grains.

Jen May 3, 2011 at 10:52 pm

I got goosebumps looking at the pictures. They are amazing! There is so much love expressed through each and every one.

Stevie-Jean @ fitfabfemale.com May 9, 2011 at 7:39 pm

OMG your pictures are so beautiful! She is very precious!!

SJ