A Vegetable Kind of Day

by HEAB on May 6, 2011

I used to freak out if I didn’t fill at least two meals a day with vegetables. Now, there are some days I don’t eat anything green, and you know what? That’s okay as I get plenty of nutrients and vitamins from other foods I eat like meat & eggs, and did you know that fats like butter helps the body absorb calcium and the fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E, and K? That being said, there are days when I crave veggies like crazy, yesterday being one of them..

IMG_5550_2.JPG

For lunch I made more basil carrots with 1/2 an onion and ate what remained of the Nutty Lemon Brussels. I rarely eat cheese, but Chris loves the Kerrygold brand, and we’ve been buying it at Costco. I’ve been nibbling on it here and there. Cheese is really good, especially when melted over veggies. :)

For dinner last night, I made one of my favorite combos…

First I sautéed 1/4 lb. of grass fed finished beef with 1/2 an onion until cooked through. I then stirred in some spinach and sauerkraut. After the spinach cooked down, I added a few TBSP of tomato paste mixed with a heaping spoonful of sour cream and water to thin. Yum.

Summer had her first green experience…she was not a huge fan.

Yuck mom. Where did those buttery carrots go? ;)

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing May 6, 2011 at 9:53 am

That is the cutest face I’ve seen all day! :)

Adam Deane May 7, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Agreed! :)

Beth May 6, 2011 at 10:00 am

Oh my goodness, she’s adorable! Avocado was my children’s first food too. Isn’t being a mom just the most fun ever?

HEAB May 6, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Beth,
Yes! Happy Mother’s Day to you. :)

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) May 6, 2011 at 10:06 am

I LOLd at Summer’s face!! hahaha- not her mother’s daughter eh? And love her long locks!

So you went out and got the kraut! Yes, I’m on a kraut and pickle craze- not preggers don’t worry! :-D

Happy friday my dear friend- I’ll email you back soon! :-)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) May 6, 2011 at 10:11 am

Me either Summer, YUM…she fed you avocado, gross! Stop torturing that sweet thing and give her the orange stuff back! I have a feeling Summer and I would get along swimmingly! Have a great day Heather!

HEAB May 6, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Sarena,
You will get along…b/c you shall meet soon. :)

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free May 6, 2011 at 10:12 am

Haha! No Avocado for Summer :P

And I just crave veggies sometimes, too….I’m not really in a veggie mood now, though…….kinda in a pb mood….but then again- I think I’m always in a pb mood!

Gavi @ Gavi Gets Going! May 6, 2011 at 10:13 am

That photo is PRICELESS! What an expression! I hope she grows up to like avocado–I didn’t “discover” it until I was 22 and I feel like I missed out on so many years of avocado-y deliciousness! :)

Holly @ The Runny Egg May 6, 2011 at 10:14 am

Poor Summer :( I didn’t like avocados for a long time, now I love them. She’ll one day realize how wonderful they are.

What a sweet face. And all that hair!!! Have you had to cut/trim it yet or is going to grow it out long like Mommy’s?

HEAB May 6, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Holly,
No haircuts yet, but we’ll have to clean up it one of these days. I’ll probably keep Summer’s hair kind of long – at least long enough to keep out of her face. Never been a short haired girl myself, but once she’s old enough to tell me what she prefers, it’s all up to her. :)

Margarita May 6, 2011 at 10:21 am

OMG! Summer’s face – priceless!!! It really made me laugh out loud. Sooo cuuuute! :)

Rachel (tea and chocolate) May 6, 2011 at 10:21 am

Aww poor Summer! Hopefully she’ll love avocado some day.

I go through veggie cravings too, especially for roasted ones. Nothing better!

Katie May 6, 2011 at 10:21 am

Maybe Summer needs to get over the weird avocado texture. :)

I love kraut in stir fries! Most people think its strange, but it adds such a great kick of flavor. With beef too? How can you go wrong?!?!

Sandi May 6, 2011 at 10:27 am

Ahhhh too cute! Is that avocado? How could she not love it!? hehe.
I try to eat vegetables regularly but some days I’m just not feeling it, or I’m just too tired to cook. But I’ve been eating a lot of fish and eggs, so it’s good to be reminded that those have nutrients too :) But your vegetables look scrumptious! I’ve been inspired! :D

birdie to be May 6, 2011 at 11:05 am

She is adorable! what a funny picture! Great shot.

Melissa B. May 6, 2011 at 11:11 am

Haha, I love Summer’s expression- amazing!

Since I won’t see your blog again until Monday, Happy First Mother’s Day to you, Heather :)

HEAB May 6, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Aww, thanks Melissa B. :)

nadia May 6, 2011 at 11:12 am

ah. I think i made the same face when I had my first avocado!
Those meals look mighty yummy HEAB, I had some broccolini and onions with eggs for breakfast today :)

Sarah R May 6, 2011 at 11:15 am

No to the avocado? I’ll bet after she has it a couple more times she’ll love it just as much as her momma! Happy Early Mothers day :)

HEAB May 6, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Thanks Sarah. We’ll definitely be giving the avo another try…I’m thinking perhaps with some cilantro, lime, and salt. :)

Rachel May 6, 2011 at 11:25 am

Oh man, AS WE SPEAK I am eating roasted carrots inspired by you! Yummm so good. I roasted them in a cast iron skillet with coconut oil, wild ramps from the farmers market, fresh thyme and a dusting of brown sugar. Dying over here! Thanks HEAB! :-)

HEAB May 6, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Rachel,
You are so welcome. That sounds amazing. LOVE carrots so much. :)

Lauren @ WWoB May 6, 2011 at 11:48 am

Now that I have finally purchased Kerrygold butter (from your influence), I can finally make these fabulous looking carrots! I have been salivating at the site of them for your last couple posts…
Also – I thought you might be interested to hear that I just got an internship at a fertility center in Davis! I am going to be learning ALL about hormones and fertility and the best part is that the endocrinologist treats his patients with his special diet. And guess what? Its quite low carb/sugar and somewhat paleo. EXACTLY how we like to eat! Clearly, he thinks eating this way is conducive to the optimal hormone levels for reproduction (and health). Awesome? I think yes. :)

HEAB May 6, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Lauren,
Yes, awesome – I agree. I know when I concentrate on less sugar and more fat, I feel so much better and my skin just glows. Love it and can’t wait to hear more about your internship. You are going to be learning the coolest stuff!

Oh, and enjoy your carrots. Once you go Kerrygold, you never go back. :)

Baking 'n' Books May 6, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Yes – interestingly enough ammenorhea is often more attributed to fat intake versus calorie intake. Most people think it’s just from being underweight – but you can be of normal weight and without menses and take in plenty of calories – but you need certain amounts of fat.

HEAB – I think that’s a “What Is THIS?!” face – not quite hatin’ yet ;)

Baking 'n' Books May 6, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Oh yeah – and I put (real) cheese on my veggies…or anything – every night. Eek ;)

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood May 6, 2011 at 11:49 am

LMAO! I imagine that’s what my kids will have on their faces when I start feeding them brussel sprouts ;)

Lenna May 6, 2011 at 11:52 am

Love the picture with Summer and avocado! And the recipe with sauerkraut:) I am a huge fan of sauerkraut:)

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat May 6, 2011 at 11:53 am

Your pictures of Summer totally brighten my day!

Kelsey May 6, 2011 at 11:56 am

that face is PRICELESS! :)

Veronica May 6, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Hopefully she will grow into avocado.
I enjoy fats the most also. For lunch I had a small mushroom, sprout, cucumber salad topped with plenty of goat cheese and 1/2 of a large avocado. Then I crushed a serving of Mary’s gone crackers on top. A quick assembly for those rush-times.

HEAB May 6, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Veronica,
That sounds delicious and so quick and easy to make. I like it! :)

Meghan @ StruggleMuffins May 6, 2011 at 12:17 pm

She’s toofrickincute! I guess greens ARE kind of an acquired taste…

steph May 6, 2011 at 12:20 pm

I just love Summer’s chair! so adorable and love that face haha

janetha @ meals & moves May 6, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Hehe.. teach her to love her greens while she’s young! Good mama. I am the same and have days with zero greens… and then I will have TONS the next day, I think it all balances out. Have an awesome weekend, HEAB.

Jen May 6, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Cutest baby food eating baby EVER!!!!

Shelby May 6, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Mmm, I love me some veggies. I’ve eaten a salad for lunch everyday for about 2 months now because I’ve been craving it like crazy! I would probably eat it for every meal if I could.

Cheese is so tasty. After avoiding it for so long, I totally forgot how much I love it. I put it in my scrambled eggs in the morning.

My mom used to puree bananas and avocado for the babies when they were little. It was so good, I used to steal bites myself ;)

HEAB May 6, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Shelby, as much as I love nutritional yeast or cashew cheese, there is nothing like REAL cheese on occasion, especially when melted. :)

Maren May 6, 2011 at 1:06 pm

That picture is TOO CUTE!!! Definitely one for the baby book!

Pure2raw Twins May 6, 2011 at 1:36 pm

too precious!!! Love Summer’s face expression!!! I remember as a kid I did not like many veggies but now I am obsessed with them…. funny how that works haha

Heather I hope you and your family have a wonderful weekend!

Cara @ EAT. PRAY. RUN. May 6, 2011 at 1:46 pm

I think the more greens and veggies you eat, the more you crave! If I am traveling for work and don’t get my normal veggie fix I CRAVE them and do doubletime when I get home! Summer is a brave girl for trying Avo so young, I hate them until I was about 10, then the avo obsession began and hasn’t stopped since, especially since moving to California :) Have an great weekend!

Elena @ GagaForGrapefruit May 6, 2011 at 1:57 pm

these pictures of summer totally make my day! i love that little face! she was not a fan of the greens huh ;)

HEAB May 6, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Elena,
Nope, more of an orange food fan. :)

Amy May 6, 2011 at 1:59 pm

!!! That picture of summer is soooo cute!

Matt May 6, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Kerrygold cheese is so good. The Dubliner with Irish stout is to die for! Just sayin; ;)

HEAB May 6, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Matt,
I concur. We have some in our fridge right now…cannot stay out of it!

Alyssa May 6, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Cute! Is that avocado? Maybe she’ll like it more when she’s older, lol!
Have a wonderful Mother’s Day!!!!!!!

HEAB May 6, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Alyssa,
Yep, avocado. We’ll try it again – maybe in the form of fresh guac! :)

Emily May 6, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Your little girl literally looks like a doll. I mean she is absolutely PRECIOUS! Does she generally like most foods?

HEAB May 6, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Thanks Emily. We just started her on solids. Thus far, she’s liked carrots, sweet potatoes, and scrambled egg yolks. Avocado…not so much. :)

CookiePie May 6, 2011 at 3:08 pm

All looks delicious, especially Summer – what a cutie!!! Avocado was my daughter’s first food – she gave us a look as if to say, “You two have had some odd notions in the past, but this one…” :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) May 6, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Tell Summer she’ll love avocados in no time if she’s anything like her mommy :)

I know you’re probably opposed b/c of the sugar but you could always smear a tiny bit of jam or jelly on the avo spears or make a “paste” with avo + jelly and smear that on something she could gnaw on. Even I sometimes need to jazz up my avocados…lol

Skylar never used to like avo’s either as a baby but now she loves them and begs for avo banana smoothies (posted this week) and so just keep offering is my .02 (not that you need it! haha)

And all your veggies…glorious!!!

R @ Learning As I Chop May 6, 2011 at 3:45 pm

She is so funny!

kate May 6, 2011 at 3:52 pm

OMG she is getting so big.. I love her hair!

Roz May 6, 2011 at 4:19 pm

I laughed out loud at Summer’s face! Hilarious. Have a good day Heather.

kate May 6, 2011 at 4:34 pm

Love that little face! Happy first Mother’s Day to you guys.

Naomi May 6, 2011 at 4:53 pm

I know exactly what you mean when you say you used to feel bad for not eating tons of veggies. I’ve been the same for the longest time, but lately I’ve started realizing that I actually feel better when I eat more carbs. I’m usually super cold (even when I dress warm) and I tend to be kinda low energy. I’m not sure if it’s because I’m not getting enough calories, or if my body just doesn’t like too many greens, or what. It’s gonna take a while for me to wrap my head around the fact that raw veggies aren’t necessarily the best thing for me all the time, though. Anyways, the pictures of your lunch are making my mouth water. haha. And Summer looks absolutely adorable <3 Happy early Mother's day to you!

Courtney May 6, 2011 at 4:58 pm

Aww! Summer is such a cutie, and her facial expressions always brighten my day :P you should make a photo album of Summer trying foods for the first time. :)

Stefanie May 6, 2011 at 5:51 pm

Summer is so cute. :)

Meagan May 6, 2011 at 6:11 pm

The hair grows leaps and bounds every day!

The Teenage Taste May 6, 2011 at 7:06 pm

Oh my gosh, that picture is adorable! I find it pretty hard to believe Summer isn’t a fan of avocados after seeing how much her Mom likes them! :-P

michelle May 6, 2011 at 8:31 pm

This picture made me laugh out loud. My husband can never understand why I laugh at the computer while reading food blogs :)

Lorne May 6, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Psssst Summer…. Summer.

Avocado is way better than cooked carrots… but don’t tell mummy :0)

Tara May 6, 2011 at 10:28 pm

That pictures of Summer made my day. She’s adorable!

Kristie May 6, 2011 at 10:56 pm

Oh my GOODNESS that is the cutest little face I have ever seen. Even if she’s not quite so happy about it :) I love that you’re getting her right on to her veggies already. I’m sure one day she’ll come to adore the avocado!

HEAB May 7, 2011 at 7:51 am

Kristie,
Let’s hope so! :)

Eden May 7, 2011 at 12:22 am

there is a photo of me JUST like that when I was Summer’s age! only it was pesto. Way carby-er.

Yvonne May 7, 2011 at 4:36 am

You make those vegetables look decadent! Makes me want a big plate of them, too.

And Summer? Holy Disney baby! Seriously, her super expressive (and enormous!) eyes and face are bananas!

Hannah May 7, 2011 at 4:52 am

Oh my gosh those eyes! I forgot everything I was going to say about currently being obsessed with goats cheese on steamed broccoli when I saw Summer’s eyes! You’re going to be in trouble when she grows up and starts pleading for things ;)

HEAB May 7, 2011 at 7:50 am

Hannah,
CD has already informed me that I will have to be in charge of all discipline. He knows he’ll never be able to say “no”. ;)

Mimi (Gingersnaps) May 7, 2011 at 5:26 am

That picture made me laugh so hard! She’s so cute!

Yeah, I roll my eyes when people only treat meat and eggs as a source of protein. I love my veggies, but if you compare a portion of liver to a portion of broccoli on NutritionData, you could send a vegan into a tizzy.

Oh, and I was thinking about your jewelry-making interest! Here’s a few nice sites for making your own.

HEAB May 7, 2011 at 7:49 am

Mimi,
So true about the liver. You make me laugh, and thanks so much for all the links. I see a new and exciting hobby in my near future. ;)

Melissa May 7, 2011 at 6:17 am

So cute !!! Give her time, she’ll come around.

Anita May 7, 2011 at 9:03 am

Happy First Mother’s Day Heather !

maybe mash in some banana with that avocado ?

how do you defrost your grass fed beef packages prior to using. with 50 lb.s of it, I know you must have a handy method.

HEAB May 7, 2011 at 9:17 am

Thanks Anita, and yes, haven’t given up on the avocados yet, and you know I love a good avo/banana combo! :)

As far as the beef goes, we simply keep two logs of beef in the fridge at all times. When we use one, we just replace it with one from the freezer, and it usually takes about 24+ hours to thaw. We go through a lot of beef, and so the defrosted ones never sit in the fridge for more than a couple of days.

Alexandra (Veggin' Out in the Kitchen) May 7, 2011 at 9:20 am

I NEED those basil carrots! :) I’ll have to get some basil next time I’m at the store!

That picture of Summer is priceless! I guess avocado isn’t for everyone, but my mom hated it when she was little and loves it now, so maybe there’s still hope ;) Haha, if Summer doesn’t like, she doesn’t like it – there’s definitely nothing wrong with that! :D

I hope you have the BEST first Mother’s Day ever!!

Jessica May 7, 2011 at 9:28 am

I used to stress over getting veggies in two meals every day too….I don’t worry about it so much anymore, the other stuff has fabulous neutritional profiles too : )

I love brussel sprouts but have a hard time getting the “bitter” out.

Okay, that is the cutest avocado face I have ever seen!

Happy Mama’s Day!!!!

HEAB May 7, 2011 at 10:09 am

Thanks Jessica!

I used to always make bitter Brussels as well and discovered I was overcooking them. Just a little less cooking and they turn out perfect. :)

Kath May 7, 2011 at 11:02 am

AHhahhahh!! LOVE Summer’s expression!!

Chad @ thebreakupnote May 7, 2011 at 11:18 am

I have to say – the most exciting part of this for me was that you used grass fed beef… I will not forget the first time I had ever tasted REAL beef. *life changing*

HEAB May 7, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Chad,
I know! So good, but some grass fed is better than others. We tried a few local farms before we found our favorite beef.

Monica May 7, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Haha, that facial expression is priceless!

I have learned to be more relaxed about my daily vegetable intake as well because somedays are more green, others are more orange – and I suppose that is just the way it goes. :)

Ana May 7, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Hehehe! I know you don’t want to make baby foods, but try blending the avocado on the vitamix and offering Summer that, she might like the texture! Or blend it with bananas, I am sure she will like it that way! :-)

HEAB May 7, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Ana,
Summer would never get the avo/naner blend…I’d probably eat it all. ;)

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli May 7, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Oh my gosh, that face is PRICELESS! Don’t worry Summer, I’ll take that avocado off your hands…and face! Hahaha!

I just bookmarked those Brussels the other day! Can’t wait to try them!

Kath (My Funny Little Life) May 7, 2011 at 3:15 pm

I love my veggies. If I don’t have greens in a day, I’m sure to have yellow, orange, red, or purple. ;) But it’s good to have your nutrients from various sources. :D And, you know, we like what we’re used to. So just don’t give up with greens for summer! And if she absolutely decides not to like them, go for a different color. My mom used to cook carrots and beets for me, and I love them still today.

Errign May 7, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Summer turned down avocado? Oh noooo!

Now, you have me wanting sauerkraut!

Stephanie @ StephSnacks May 7, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Look at that face! So precious!

LizAshlee May 7, 2011 at 6:09 pm

Hey there!

I remember visiting your site awhile back and for one reason or another I lost track of the blog. Well, I am BACK on track!! :) Love your blog and your recipes sound delicious! Can’t wait to try ‘em. I recently started my own blog at lizashlee.com and would love for you to check it out some time!

P.S. Summer is DARLING! I visited your blog when she was just born…time passes sooo fast and she is getting sooo big:)! You have a beautiful family!

Cate May 7, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Your veggie meals always look scrumptious! I *need* to try basil + carrots together.

I was wondering, HEAB, what does your weekly/monthly grocery list look like? Or, what are your healthy food staples?

HEAB May 7, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Hi Cate,
I make the grocery list and CD does the shopping once a week. We try and keep our grocery trips limited to one trip to Harris Teeter and one trip to Costco. I used to go several times a week whenever I got a random craving or decided last minute to try a new recipe, but with that mindset, our grocery budget was getting out of control. Only going once a week with a list in hand really helps.

From Costco we buy: Eggs, coffee, carrots, celery, avocados, spinach, sour cream, mushrooms, and onions. Harris Teeter: Baker’s and Lindt chocolate, half and half, other veggies we don’t want in bulk, sweet and regular potatoes. Those are the basics we always have on hand, and then I’ll add any random ingredients I’ll need for the week to the Harris Teeter list like tomato paste, chick peas, herbs, spices, etc.

We keep a stock of almond butter, quinoa, brown rice, rolled oats, and butter and purchase them from Costco when we run out, and we buy grass fed finished beef in bulk from a local farm. We also buy oat bran, coconut flour, and tahini online from Amazon b/c it’s cheaper.

That about sums it up. :)

Mandy May 7, 2011 at 11:42 pm

I wondered about avocado. I mean, it doesn’t really taste like anything, and compared to yummy buttery sweet carrots- no comparison, right? Maybe she would like guacamole…I’m excited to see what Ian will like!

Happy Mother’s Day!

Christin@purplebirdblog May 8, 2011 at 4:43 pm

How funny… I’ve totally relaxed a bit on my need to have veggies at every meal too. But I must say, that plate of veggies you’ve got going on up there is RIGHTEOUS. Cracking up at Summer’s sweet ick face. :)

{ 1 trackback }