Gifts To Myself

by HEAB on May 8, 2011

A year ago today, I announced that we had a HEABlet on the way, and now Summer is 6 months old. Can you believe it?!?

She gave me gave me my first official Mother’s Day card..

.IMG_5623_2.JPG

So sweet.

CD gave me flowers and an US Weekly…One of my favorite guilty pleasures, but I never buy the magazine (unless I’m about to depart on an airplane). My new camera was also part of my Mother’s Day gift. Thanks CD!

IMG_5617_2.JPG

The pups gave me a gift as well…

This is one of three holes dug up in our backyard today. Apparently, we have a mole. Grrrr!

Last week, CD asked me what I wanted to do for Mother’s Day, and my answer was, hang out with you and Summer and enjoy the day. So, that’s what we did. I also decided to love on myself a bit…

First, I ate some yummy food…

IMG_5629_2.JPG

Pumpkin with blobs of coconut cream, chocado pudding, and cinnamon.

I then bought myself some flowers…

IMG_5640_2.JPG

Meet my new basil plant. I see lots of pesto in my future.

and took an amazing Hatha yoga class here.

I my purple Manduka mat.

Now I sit eating oat bran topped with a big scoop of this…

IMG_5639_2.JPG

No sugar added coconut milk ice-cream. Oh yes, it exists, and you can click HERE to read all about it.

Last but not least, I returned my rented breast pump to the hospital. Happy Mother’s Day to me!

And a Happy Mother’s Day to all my mama friends (including mamas-to-be) out there and many thanks to all of you who wished me the same. So much love happening today. :)

Anyone else have a in-flight only rule for Hollywood gossip magazines???

kaila @ healthy helper! May 8, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Looks like a fabulous day! This is such a special holiday for you! Happy FIRST mother’s day!

Meghan @ StruggleMuffins May 8, 2011 at 8:01 pm

Aww looks like a lovely day, minus the part about the mole of course. Love that you got some yoga in; a lot of moms came to my studio today to give themselves the gift of a yoga class – there’s nothing like in-studio practice to make you feel zen’d out and just generally awesome :)

Marcia @Frugal Healthy Simple May 8, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Yes, I try not to buy magazines at all, but when traveling, I totally indulge!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey May 8, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Happy Mother’s Day Heather! I hope it was a fantastic and relaxing day.

Kelsey May 8, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Happy Mother’s Day! :) Sounds like it was a perfect day.

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli May 8, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Aww, I’m so glad you had a great first Mother’s Day, Heather! I thought of you today when I noticed the temps getting up close to the 80′s today…can you believe it? I enjoyed a nice hike through the woods…and I didn’t even get lost this time! ;)

I just watched the acro-yoga video from your yoga studio…WOW! Amazing strength and gracefulness!

HEAB May 8, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Heather,
Ahh, such a beautiful day, and I’m so happy to hear you didn’t get lost.

Yeah, that’s not the kind of yoga I did today. ;)

Holly @ The Runny Egg May 8, 2011 at 8:25 pm

I love gossip magazines but I never buy them — but I get one for my mom for her birthday, Christmas and Mother’s Day :) She just loves them too.

Happy Mother’s Day Heather!

Clare @ Fitting It All In May 8, 2011 at 8:29 pm

happy first Mother’s Day Heather! Returning that breast pump sounds like the perfect gift:) Glad you had a great day!

Abby @ Have Dental Floss, Will Travel May 8, 2011 at 8:29 pm

My rule is that I have to be at the gym to indulge in Hollywood gossip – at least in print form :)

Happy mother’s day!

Carol May 8, 2011 at 8:35 pm

I just stumbled upon your blog via Fitnessista and I read today’s post! Too funny because I do the same thing with my guilty pleasure magazines! I actually made it a new years resolution to NOT buy anymore magazines except if I am going on a trip! US Weekly, People, etc., etc. are GREAT plane reads! Can’t wait to read more! Happy Mother’s Day!

HEAB May 8, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Carol,
Welcome – glad you found me, and through Gina! Love that girl. Thanks for reading and happy to hear I’m not the only one who loves my Hollywood gossip. :)

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood May 8, 2011 at 8:42 pm

Awww the card is so adorable! I love it! I actually subscribe to Cosmopolitan through MyCokeRewards and I get free yearly subscriptions… until I stopped drinking soda and I had to pay for them ;) But it’s good to have something dishy to read once in awhile, hehe.

I love the basil plant! I’m actually trying to grow lavender now too… We’ll see how that goes :-D

HEAB May 8, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Sylvia,
Lavender…please enjoy a big whiff of your lavender for me. LOVE the smell of lavender so much!

Hope you enjoyed your weekend. :)

Christin@purplebirdblog May 8, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Happy Mom Day, again! :) I am a recovered celeb gossip addict, but I do indulge on occasion for a plane ride. And I am sooooo on the lookout for that sugar-free So Delicious… haven’t spotted it quite yet but I’ve got my eyes peeled!

HEAB May 8, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Christin,
I found it at Whole Foods. Only place I’ve seen it.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) May 8, 2011 at 8:53 pm

Happy Mother’s day to you my friend! Sounds like a great day to me!

Sarah May 8, 2011 at 8:54 pm

I think I may have seen your husband running at Percy Warner this morning, but since I have never actually met him I didn’t say anything. Hope you had a great mothers day!

HEAB May 8, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Sarah,
Yes, that was CD. I think he ran the 5.8. Next time you see him yell, “Hey CD!”. :)

Hope you had a good Sunday. Beautiful morning for a run.

Elena @ GagaForGrapefruit May 8, 2011 at 9:00 pm

happy mother’s day lovely! glad it was wonderful for you! :)

Courtney (greeneyedrunner) May 8, 2011 at 9:00 pm

Happy Mother’s Day! I still remember when you announced that you were carrying a little HEABlet-where did the year go?

HEAB May 8, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Courtney,
Seriously – this past year flew by!

Dorry May 8, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Happy Mother’s Day!! Amazing to think back to a year ago when Summer was just a tiny HEABlet still inside. ;) I have the exact same rule for gossip magazines. Flights are the best place to read those! The best is when someone leaves theirs in the seat back pocket.

HEAB May 8, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Dorry,
That was me! Always leave my mag for others in the back pocket. ;)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) May 8, 2011 at 9:22 pm

“A year ago today, I announced that we had a HEABlet on the way, and now Summer is 6 months old. Can you believe it”–

Yes, I can b/c in my comment yesterday I had remembered that your big announcement DID come on Mothers day last year!

Congrats on returning your pump. Job well done, mom. :)

Basil plant…CUTE!

And the yoga studio is gorg and Manduka has been my mat of choice for 10 years! Black Pro. Love.It. The only mat my toenails can’t destroy and erode :)

Happy Mother’s Day!

Jaime May 8, 2011 at 9:22 pm

I can NOT believe that announcement post was a year ago. Seriously remember just reading it like it was yesterday. Life is crazy!

So glad you had a nice mother’s day :)

would you mind sharing where you ordered that adorable spoon? I know Kath has some too, and I’m dying to customize one of my own! Thanks Heather!

HEAB May 8, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Jaime,
The spoons come from Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/listing/68874517/vintage-silverware-silver-plate?ref=pr_shop, and the artist will customize them with any word. :)

tea-bag May 8, 2011 at 9:29 pm

happy mother’s day! looks like you had a great day – especially that pumpkin bowl! (ps – the coconut cream trick works w/ peanut flour, too! think of peanut cream & you’ll be in the deliciousness i’ve been living in for the past few days!)

my celeb smutty magazines are regulated to the treadmill & airplanes. there’s just something about airplanes that make you crave celeb gossip. look around at all the female passengers – most have people, in touch, ok, etc. in their hands. maybe the altitude causes short attention spans … :)

HEAB May 8, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Tea-bag,
Wish TJ’s still sold peanut flour!

So true about women in airplanes. I’m always tempted to ask those around me if they’d like to swap gossip mags after I’m finished with mine. :)

Bonnie May 8, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Happy Mother’s Day Heather!

I have a Vogue only-in-the-hair-salon rule, pretty close to your “in-flight” rule. What your rule says to me is that you would probably beat me most trivial pursuits or “current events in the lives of the rich and famous” games!!

HEAB May 8, 2011 at 9:43 pm

Bonnie,
Haha – I’m slightly ashamed to admit I probably would. ;)

Lorne May 8, 2011 at 9:52 pm

I remember that post a year ago Heather! I was happy to have you joining me in the incubation programme! :0)

Your day sounds relaxing, just heavenly…. Minu gave me the cutest card made by a student of mine for him to give me…. such wonderful sneakiness! It is the best card I have ever received.

We don’t have So Delicious ice cream in NZ – surely that is a crime?

Happy Mother’s Day – here is to our first Mother’s Day :0)

HEAB May 9, 2011 at 7:58 am

Lorne,
Thought about you yesterday. Love that the student made a card for Minu to give you – so thoughtful. Sounds like we were both well loved yesterday. Yes, total crime about the ice-cream!!!! You should petition the company! ;)

Maria (Maria Makes Muffins) May 8, 2011 at 10:14 pm

Happy Mother’s day!

megan @ the oatmeal diaries May 8, 2011 at 10:29 pm

HAPPY FIRST MOTHER’S DAY! That must be so exciting! Probably almost as exciting as finding sugar free coconut milk ice cream =P

HEAB May 9, 2011 at 7:56 am

Megan,
It is sad that I was more excited about the ice-cream? ;)

Kati May 8, 2011 at 10:31 pm

My inflight ritual is always Us Weekly. IN fact, I went home for Christmas and my friend who always picks me up was more excited for my cast-off magazine than to see me!

I saw that ice cream online and they only carry the stevia-sweetened milk here. But, I used it to make my own mango ice cream! Take that, coconut milk people. Ha!

Mama Pea May 8, 2011 at 10:33 pm

I have been thinking about you all day…I’m sorry it’s taken me until now to say Happy Mother’s Day!

And yes, I only buy trashy magazines at the airport…which makes me hope some really scandalous things happen before my trip in a couple of weeks :)

HEAB May 9, 2011 at 7:55 am

Mama Pea,
Happy Mother’s Day to you as well. CD and I talked about you yesterday. Thinking about all of our favorite mamas. :)

Samantha May 8, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Happy Mother’s Day Heather! Sounds like a perfect day if you ask me. (My wish was the same…time with hubby and the boys since the husband will be out again soon on mission)

I <3 coconut cream!

RunEatRepeat May 8, 2011 at 11:27 pm

Happy Mother’s Day :)

Emilia May 8, 2011 at 11:32 pm

Happy Mother’s day (once again), beautiful and lovely mama! Glad you had a wonderful day and got to enjoy everything you love- that’s truly what matters.

Why can’t the HLS be held in Nashville? I SO want to meet you and play in Nashville :)

I totally thought of you when I picked up that no sugar added coconut ice cream. Awesome, huh? :)

HEAB May 9, 2011 at 7:54 am

Emilia,
I know – I would love the HLS to be in Nashville although we’ll actually be in Michigan when it takes place. We shall see, and yes, love the ice-cream, but not the price. Definitely a treat and going to try making my own soon. :)

Casey May 9, 2011 at 1:50 am

Happy first mother’s day gorgeous Heather! That pumpkin bowl looks seriously orgasmic. I had to pause and just stare for quite a while.
Hairdresser = gossip magazines for me ;)

HEAB May 9, 2011 at 7:53 am

Casey,
Haha – yeah, I totally forgot about the hair salon. As soon as I sit down in the chair, my friend who does my hair hands me a stack of my favorite mags. Makes the highlighting process go by so fast! ;)

Hannah May 9, 2011 at 4:13 am

So proud of you for treating yourself! It’s ridiculous how hard it can be to allow ourselves a day of that sometimes, but you absolutely deserve it :)

P.S. I am, however, crying about that ice cream. Do you know what I have access to in Australia? One brand on soy ice cream, with vanilla and chocolate as the only flavour options. The chocolate is awful, and the vanilla barely passable. *sob*

HEAB May 9, 2011 at 7:52 am

Hannah,
Super easy to make your own: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2011/01/23/whos-the-moosiest-moose-we-know/. I’m going to try my own sugar free version soon as the So Delicious stuff is good but way too pricey for my budget!

Hannah May 9, 2011 at 8:14 am

Ooh fabulous! I think I like the look of the cake on that post even more though :D

Melissa May 9, 2011 at 7:27 am

Happy Mother’s Day, mama! (I TOTALLY owe you an email but this wkd got away from me!) What a beautiful day and so special–love US Weekly, too — and it’s my gym reading pleasure ;) That’s how I justify it :) Good for you, too, returning the pump! I’m still doing it but thinking when Maya’s 6 mths I will stop. I keep saying I’ll quit … but keep doing it! I’m so proud of you for making it that long. It’s HARD.

HEAB May 9, 2011 at 7:50 am

Lissa,
So glad you guys had a wonderful Mother’s Day and so happy to hear you’re still pumping. That is awesome. I knew I was ready to quit when I no longer wanted to cry when I thought about returning the pump. Finally came to peace with the decision. It was time. :)

Lena May 9, 2011 at 8:06 am

Happy Mother’s Day to you! Summer is so blessed to you have you as her Mum! have a great day!

keishua May 9, 2011 at 8:16 am

what a sweet mother’s day. I love your mat!
There is nothing like fresh basil and coconut ice cream.
Have a lovely day.

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food May 9, 2011 at 8:22 am

ohh what a wonderful way to spend mother’s day! :)

You deserve some rest and relaxation. I am the same way with the gossip mags, and have been known to “borrow” them from the gym :P

Salah (My Healthiest Lifestyle) May 9, 2011 at 8:31 am

Looks like such a fabulous day!!

Ana May 9, 2011 at 8:44 am

Happy Mother’s Day Heather!
I have been looking for that nsa ice cream, can’t wait to try it!

HEAB May 9, 2011 at 9:20 am

Thanks Ana. Hope you had a wonderful Mother’s Day! I’ve only seen the NSA ice-cream at Whole Foods. Hope you find some soon. :)

Samantha Angela May 9, 2011 at 8:48 am

Happy Mother’s Day :D

Jessica May 9, 2011 at 9:07 am

What a fun Mama’s Day!!!!

I totally only buy those magazines at the airport, I will also read them at the doctor’s office or at the gym : ) They are awfuly addicting!

Evan May 9, 2011 at 9:26 am

Happy first Mother’s Day, Heather! I’m so happy to see that it was relaxing and quite happy. A lot of my coworkers just had their first MD’s too…it’s funny with babies, because they’re not old enough to formally show their gratitude, but it’s so exciting, because Mother’s Day will be a special day from this year on. And that’s pretty fantastic :)

nadia May 9, 2011 at 9:39 am

OMG! this is the happiest day of my life! I thought I would never (until I get a vitamix) eat ice-cream again!!!! yeay!!!!!!!!!!!!
and happy (belated) mothers day to you HEAB! XXO

Shelby May 9, 2011 at 10:12 am

No sugar added?! I. DIE. I must find that asap!!! And mint chip is my very favorite!

HEAB May 9, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Shelby,
I caved. Whole Foods is the only place I could find the ice-cream.

Tasha @ Voracious May 9, 2011 at 11:15 am

Happy Mother’s Day! It looks like you had a good one, indeed. I loooove the look of that pumpkin topped with all sorts of goodies, and that coconut milk ice cream sounds amazing. We can’t buy that here, so I like to make my own with coconut milk…and lots of chocolate, of course!

HEAB May 9, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Thanks Tasha, and yes, lots of chocolate is key…always. :)

Stephanie @ StephSnacks May 9, 2011 at 11:21 am

Heather, I love the HEAB spoon! So cool! So glad that you enjoyed your Mothers day :)

HEAB May 9, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Thanks Stephanie. Spoon is from Etsy. I love it as well. Makes me happy. :)

Katherine: Unemployed May 9, 2011 at 11:48 am

I love your spoon! too cute

Is your basil plant going to stay in that glass? it looks so awesome growing that way! but is it sustainable?

HEAB May 9, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Katherine,
Nope, going to transfer it to a pot. Today’s goal in fact. :)

Alyssa May 9, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Wow, what a wonderful day!
I LOVE So Delicious coconut milk ice cream. Yum!
We had a good day here: Hubby bought me a Kindle!!!!!!

HEAB May 9, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Alyssa,
Oh my gosh, CD is OBSESSED with his Kindle. Treats that thing like a baby – I’m surprised I’m even allowed to touch it. They are really great, and I love the no-glare screen. So wish they made laptops computer screens with that same technology.

Errign May 9, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Happy Mother’s Day! I have an in flight only rule for Cosmo! :)

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) May 9, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Happy Mother’s Day, HEAB! Sorry I’m a day late, but it sounds like it was wonderful for you. And yes, gossip rags are generally limited to plane rides and hand-me-downs. CD obviously thinks like my brother in law–he always puts US Weekly in my sister’s xmas stocking. :)

HEAB May 9, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Thanks Diana. Hope you had a good weekend. Your BIL is a good Santa. :)

Roz May 9, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Glad you enjoyed your first Mother’s Day Heather! LOVE the engraved spoon!!! Have a good week.

Miranda (Untamed Kitchen) May 9, 2011 at 2:59 pm

I got some of that ice cream at WF a week ago. I was so excited to see it!!! Glad you had a great Mother’s Day!

Beth May 9, 2011 at 3:43 pm

I’ve been going to that yoga studio, love their “Opening” class on Sundays!

Michelle {lively kitchen} May 9, 2011 at 3:54 pm

I know you skipped to the car after returning that pump. I had such a love hate relationship with that thing. I used to travel a bit for work while nursing and, when I stopped pumping, I got over half my suitcase back, not to mention a lot more free time. :)

As for US, I traded in some miles on a dwindling frequent flier account (now that I don’t work and don’t travel) for a year subscription. It is SUCH a guilty pleasure. I won’t spend my money on it when the subscription runs out, but I happily read my mag each week. I bring my ‘used’ copies to the gym or library so I can spread the smut gossip wealth.

Happy MOther’s Day (a day late). I’m glad you had a good one!

HEAB May 9, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Michelle,
Happy Mother’s Day to you as well. My mom used to subscribe to Star b/c she loved the crossword puzzles, and I always gave her such a hard time about it, BUT when we lived in the same neighborhood, I would secretly grab the magazine from her mailbox, read it, and then put it back. Isn’t that awful?!?

Bye bye pump. It is so nice not to have to hook myself up to that thing every 3 hours!!!!

Meagan May 9, 2011 at 5:55 pm

I was so excited to see that ice cream but then I looked up the ingredients and it has erithritol. :( MAJOR sad :( :(

HEAB May 9, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Meagan,
I know a lot of people don’t like erithritol, but I’m not sure why. Why?

Tita May 10, 2011 at 6:20 am

Heather, happy happy Mother’s day!
I’m sorry I’m late, we’re ahead of you in Europe…but trully, you are such inspiration for me!!! I never wanted to be a mother, because I always saw my mom being sad – wondering why would anyone in the world want to be a mother…but now, when I see the joy and happiness and your cuttest daughter, I see the beauty of being a mother and I thank you for that from my heart!
US weekly??? Ha ha, how funny! I almost felt embarassed – when I lived in Bahamas, on the boat, the biggest gift for me was getting US Weekly…once in two weeks…whenever my captain went shopping to States, coming with normal foods like a Santa… if he forgot US weekly, I was sooo sad!!! (one day he sent the pilot to get it for me and he brought that US newspaper!!! Oh, my, what a dissapointment that was!!!!)…
And now, when I live in Europe, my friend sends me all the US Weeklies once a month and I just ENJOY the juicy gossip!!!
And when I go to LA, I keep starring around if I will see any celebrities… I’m so glad I’m not the only one enjoying it!!!

HEAB May 10, 2011 at 8:58 am

Tita,
You are so funny, but I totally get your disappointment with the US newspaper. SO NOT THE SAME as an US Weekly! :)

And yes, motherhood is so full of joy. It’s hard at times, but the pros soooo outweigh the cons. No doubt about it, and I’m ready to do it all over again. :)

Eleanor@eatinglikeahorse May 10, 2011 at 4:54 pm

I missed this post! But wishing you a belated but very happy first Mother’s Day :-)

AmyJoGo May 11, 2011 at 6:47 am

Would love the recipe for your NSA coconut milk. I have tried liquid stevia in sweets and its always a tad off-where I get that strange bitter twang. :-( I keep hearing that xylitol is a healthy alternative. Have you ever used it?

HEAB May 11, 2011 at 9:32 am

AmyJoGo,
For my coconut milk beverage, I just mix a can of Trader Joe’s lite coconut milk with enough water to make a quart. I sometimes blend in lecithin to keep the liquids from seperating, but honestly, it’s not really necessary. Just store in the fridge in an airtight container and shake it up before using. I don’t ever add sweetener.

I have used xylitol, but I prefer my NuNaturals stevia. NuNaturals doesn’t have that funky aftertaste – at least not for me. My husband thinks all stevia tastes funky. I’ve read that xylitol is good for you teeth – it’s often used in all natural sugar free gums, but if you have a dog, keep him/her out of the xylitol as it’s toxic for dogs.

Meagan May 20, 2011 at 8:43 pm

You and Kath Eats Real Food BOTH have spoons like that… where do you get them? I need an Mnuffins one :)

HEAB May 20, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Meagan,
We ordered the spoons from this artist on Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/listing/62159212/vintage-silverware-silver-plate-granola. She has several to choose from and will print any word you want. :)

{ 1 trackback }