Magical Musings With Basil

by HEAB on May 9, 2011

Operation De-Love Handle officially starts today. The Rx I was on to increase my milk supply while breastfeeding also increased my girth. I won’t go into numbers, but let’s just say there were several meltdowns involved. However, in the end, it was totally worth it. I have no specific plan in mind, but I am going to keep avoiding sugar as I feel my best when it’s not part of my diet. I’d also like to incorporate a couple of HIIT sessions a week, even if that means nothing but running up the hill next to our house with the stroller…I can already hear the neighbors...What is that girl with the pink hair doing? She’s always outside taking photos of her breakfast, and now she keeps running up and down the hill, getting nowhere. Hehe, I jest. My neighbors have accepted my crazy ways and love me for it. After all, someone’s gotta provide the entertainment around here. It’s too quiet.

So yeah, I want to lose some poundage and tone up a bit. The toning will happen with yoga, and I also hope to take more restorative yoga classes. Yesterday’s Hatha Opening class was magical, and my hips and shoulders need some magic these days.

My hair could also use a little magic. A new haircut perhaps? Perhaps not, but the pink shall remain.

My magical mess of a lunch…

IMG_5648_2.JPG

That would be 1/2 a Vidalia onion sauteed in a pat of ghee with spinach and grilled chicken. To the skillet, I then added 2 whisked eggs and some fresh chopped basil, attempting to make an omelet of sorts. Omelet toppings included avocado pesto (1/2 avocado mashed together with minced basil – lots and lots of basil) and fresh ground pepper. Basil plant = Happy Heather.

I leave you with these magical words…

Finally, all of you, live in harmony with one another; be sympathetic, love as brothers, be compassionate and humble.

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} May 9, 2011 at 1:56 pm

I love that you call it a “magical mess of lunch”. :-)

R @ Learning As I Chop May 9, 2011 at 1:57 pm

It seems that you are a pretty healthy eater! I think avoiding sugar sounds like a good plan. I am sure you will lose those pounds in no time (not that I think you need it).

Danielle May 9, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Those most definitely are beautiful words :) .

Felicia May 9, 2011 at 1:59 pm

lunch looks amazing :) i love HIIT! it has replaced my typical workouts and i don’t think i’ll ever be going back.. better results in less time working out is perfect! you will be back to your happy weight in no time !

Yoonmee @ MoveLaughAloha May 9, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Looks delicious! I’d recommend some weight training (no, you won’t get huge and buff or look like a meat head) on top of the yoga and HIIT. Yoga is a great workout, but I believe it mostly relies on body weight. You probably won’t get too terribly toned doing it, especially if you’ve already been doing it for a while now. Just my two cents. =)

HEAB May 9, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Yoonmee,
Sorry, I sent you the wrong link in my last comment. Below is the correct one.

In the past, nothing has helped me tone up more than yoga. Here is a photo of me after I quit running and lifting, and did nothing but yoga for about 5 months: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2009/08/02/a-simple-sunday. I miss those arms!

Cbid May 9, 2011 at 2:18 pm

love the visual of you “going to hill” with a baby basket.

fabu post…

go hetha go hetha..

Lorne May 9, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Yay for being the entertaining neighbour! I am imagining twitching curtains in your street – he he he…
Anything that involves avocado is a a winner with me. Your lunch looks yummy.

Gill May 9, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Heather, good luck with the weight loss and good on you for being honest. I think you look great, still, though! I don’t often comment anymore but keep reading your blog every day :)

Halley (Blunder Construction) May 9, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I am a devoted HEAB reader, but I didn’t know you have pink hair?! I’m looking at recent photos of you and I see no pink. Have I gone colorblind?? What am I missing :)

HEAB May 9, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Halley,
I used to have a pink streak when CD and I first met, and he always loved it. So, for his birthday this year, I surprised him and brought back the pink streak. You can see a glimpse of it in this post: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2011/04/19/a-colorful-afternoon/

Robyn @ GirlonRaw May 9, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Hey Heather I am hearing ya. I posted last week about my plans to get my pre baby body back too. And I have had to take meds too to increase milk supply so I am feeling ya pain. Wondering if you were on Domperidone? If so I had no idea it increases girth :S Anyway don’t you worry, as all my friends keep telling me, you will get back into shape, but don’t put too much pressure on yourself. Hugs honey xx

HEAB May 9, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Robyn,
Oh yes, Domperidone. Gained 9 pounds the first 3 weeks I was on it. Apparently, it doesn’t cause weight gain for all, but definitely a side effect for some. Hugs to you as well – we’ll both get there! :)

Robyn @ GirlonRaw May 9, 2011 at 2:45 pm

eeeek, I had no idea!!! I have been on it for 3 weeks and haven’t really gained but haven’t really lost from the baby so I guess that might be it…wowsers.

HEAB May 9, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Robyn,
If it helps your milk supply, then that’s what matters most. So worth it. :)

Holley @ Lunges and Lashes May 9, 2011 at 2:36 pm

i just planted basil in my garden, i can’t wait for that to grow! i hope i have enough to make some homemade basil. yay!

Emily May 9, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Basil is my favorite fresh herb. I never thought of mushing it up with some avocado! I think I know what’s going on my salad tonight :)

tea-bag May 9, 2011 at 2:45 pm

i love steaming onions – they get so sweet! last night i ate a steamed onion topped w/ a bit of soy sauce & a poached egg. so freaking delicious! i also discovered microwave poaching – 1 minute in a bowl of water & you have a perfectly runny, poached egg. my lazy-side was so very happy!

i need more basil in my life … and possibly a pink streak. :)

HEAB May 9, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Tea-bag,
Really, it’s that easy to micro poach an egg? Who knew? Do you cover the bowl with anything? Thank you!

tea-bag May 9, 2011 at 7:25 pm

it’s that easy! cover the egg in water, add a splash of vinegar (i used apple cider), cover the bowl in plastic wrap (i did this only because i was afraid of exploding eggs), & nuke for a minute. i added too much water & so needed to nuke for 2 minutes, but 1 should normally do it. also, if you want a less runny egg, poke the yolk before cooking.
it was awesome!

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli May 9, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Awesome! I can’t wait to try this! I love poached eggs but I always botch them at home! :(

Emilia May 9, 2011 at 2:54 pm

I just got a basil plant too- but the warm weather caused it to wilt slightly :(
All the more reason to make pesto, no? :)

HEAB May 9, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Emilia,
YES! Lots and lots of pesto. Never a problem with that. :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) May 9, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Pink highlights make everything better. Add some plum colored ones in, too! I work with quite a few girls with purple highlights (and half sleeves) and purple can be so pretty in the underneath layers/nape of neck area. I dont have the bravery for it anymore…but I did in h.s. and college.

Yes, anything that increases milk production like that can increase other numbers. You are beautiful Heather. Just remember that and things will be back the way you prefer them in no time!
xo

Holly @ The Runny Egg May 9, 2011 at 3:04 pm

I think your lunch looks incredible — I love sweet onions so much!

Christin@purplebirdblog May 9, 2011 at 3:18 pm

1. You’re one hot mama.
2. My hair needs a lot of magic.
3. Basil. Yes, please. All day.
4. I long for the day when you and I can do some yoga and eat awesome foods together.
5. I definitely provide a world of entertainment for my neighbors as well.
6. Lovely, lovely words. <3

HEAB May 9, 2011 at 7:17 pm

Christin,
In #4, you left out trade out with each other for a massage. :)

Christin@purplebirdblog May 10, 2011 at 1:57 pm

How I could be so careless… of COURSE i mean that too! ;)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) May 9, 2011 at 3:42 pm

YES…BASIL! I love it! You sound chipper today and I love it! Love the words in the end too. Thank you for sharing yourself! You are truly an inspiring soul!

HEAB May 9, 2011 at 7:17 pm

Thanks Sarena. We shall break basil together soon. :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) May 9, 2011 at 7:55 pm

I am so looking forward to that too!

Emily Elizabeth @ Kisses for Breakfast May 9, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Avocado pesto… I may be in love. I have 10 avocados sitting in my fruit basket (I guess you could say I kinda like them… and Annabelle too) and the fate of one of them was just decided. Thank you!

HEAB May 9, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Emily E,
You’re welcome. It was so good. Jealous of your avocado stash. I only have 2 left and never want them to end. Will have to restock soon as I’m in on a total avocado kick.

The Teenage Taste May 9, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Heather, you always have a game plan. Whether it be for working out, eating, parenting, or life you always seem to have it all figured out. You inspire me! :-)

HEAB May 9, 2011 at 7:15 pm

The Teenage Taste,
Oh gosh, really? Thank you! I often feel like I’m a complete mess, but that’s okay. Messy is kind of fun, no?

Patty May 9, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Why are you so aggressive to yourself? Why do you feel as if you need to lose weight? You are at a heathy, beautiful weight! You have just produced an incredible child and your body is strong enough to have survived everything in the process. There isn’t anything wrong with wanting to eat healthier, but are a few pounds really that important? We are inundated with messages that our bodies should look a certain way for optimal happiness, but is this really true? Maybe we should focus inward, on nurturing our selves, so that we don’t NEED to lose weight, have meltdowns, etc, on something as relatively uunimportant as body image (in the grand scheme of things, of course).

I definitely struggle with my body image, but I realize that that is just another venue for my perfectionistic tendencies to attack me. There are so many more joys to be had from life that this thinking pattern holds you back from! Ultimately, we just need to be thankful for our bodies, because they allow us to get so much out of life. I am thankful I exist! Whether or not I am a size 2 or a 12.

I really like this quote (by JK Rowling): “Is ‘fat’ really the worst thing a human being can be? Is ‘fat’ worse than ‘vindictive’, ‘jealous’, ‘shallow’, ‘vain’, ‘boring’ or ‘cruel’? Not to me.”

Embrace and love yourself! You are so much more than all that negativity.

birdie to be May 9, 2011 at 4:56 pm

This looks great! I love fresh basil.

Courtney (greeneyedrunner) May 9, 2011 at 4:57 pm

I love it, all of it! Your lunch sounds amazing though, I do the exact same thing…sauté a bunch of veggies/protein and throw in some mustard and avocado. Looks like mulch, but soooo good.

P.S. Do you have any tips for keeping a basil plant alive? My flatmates and I are on our second Basil Baby. We want this one to stay around a while.

HEAB May 9, 2011 at 7:12 pm

Courtney,
Yes, my meals always look my mulch! Haha, so good to hear I am not the only one. I’ve also killed a basil plant in my past. Tips I’ve received – plenty of light, heat, and water, and pick the leaves often. Shouldn’t be a problem – just keep adding them to your mulch. :)

katie May 9, 2011 at 5:04 pm

I love coming here for inspiration for meals, you never fail to give me great ideas. I’ve been striving for lower sugar lately and feel great also! I’m sure getting back to your normal habits will get you feeling like yourself again in no time. I wish I was brave enough for the hair streak, it looks so cool on you!

HEAB May 9, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Thanks Katie, and you could totally pull of the pink streak. Do it! :)

Maggie @ Say Yes to Salad May 9, 2011 at 5:18 pm

This is going to inspire my dinner :) Good luck with the de-love handling! I understand the meltdowns, and I also know that you will get back to where you want to be. <3

Amelia May 9, 2011 at 5:53 pm

Your lunch looks very delicious…my food supply is dwindling as I gear up to move again. I could eat that for dinner right now!

Good luck on dwindling your handles. I know what it feels like to want to be comfortable in your own skin. Know that you are gorgeous no matter what and you have a beautiful daughter to show for, so if I were you I would keep up the walking and yoga and find a cute bathing suit cover up. :)

HEAB May 9, 2011 at 7:11 pm

Thanks Amelia,
I like that plan. :)

Elena @ GagaForGrapefruit May 9, 2011 at 5:53 pm

love that last quote lady :)

Dinahsoar May 9, 2011 at 5:59 pm

If you have a garden spot, you can grow basil from seed you place directly in the ground. Just follow the package directions. It is prolific, and the more you pick the leaves the more it grows. It does need plenty of sun. You will yield enough from one package to put up pesto in the freezer should you desire.

HEAB May 9, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Dinahsoar,
No garden. Was just going to pot it. Fingers crossed for some pesto in my future. :)

Pure2raw twins May 9, 2011 at 7:46 pm

you will be back in shape in no time, although you look great now!

your lunch looks yummy, or should I say magical ;)

McKayla @ Green Groats May 9, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Love the magical words!
I love that kind of omlette too! Looks delicious.

evan May 9, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Beautiful words, Heather.

I think they apply to the “girth increase” part, too. Our bodies have to be treated with love and compassion, and yours has done an extraordinary thing, bringing Summer into the world. I have no doubt that you’ll carry that mentality with you during Operation De-Love Handle. God knows that all of us go through it at many different times in our lives! :)

evan May 9, 2011 at 9:21 pm

ps. I think we’re lunchtime twins–a protein and fat-filled lunch is the only thing that keeps me energized and happy-full until dinnertime.

HEAB May 10, 2011 at 9:12 am

Thanks Evan,
And yes, that lunch was so filling yesterday. As much as I love carbs, fat and protein satiate me much more!

Annie May 9, 2011 at 9:17 pm

What the heck?? How’d I miss the pink hair and where’s the pic???

HEAB May 10, 2011 at 9:11 am

Annie,

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli May 9, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Haha! Oh to be neighbors to the HEAB household! You crack me up with the visual of pink hair a-flying!

Love your magical mess…I’m really starting to like basil more and more each day! I used to hate it!

Jessica May 9, 2011 at 10:03 pm

I toned up after baby using Jillian Michael’s dvds! HIIT training works SO well! I ended up about 3 pounds lighter and more toned than before baby, so I swear by it. :)
I love your writing and your honesty–and you eat such amazing, real foods! Keep it up –I think you looked awesome your whole pregnancy and now as well, so don’t ever be hard on yourself!! [Plus you have one heck of a cute baby, sooo that helps when you feel down, doesn't it? ;} ]

HEAB May 10, 2011 at 9:09 am

Jessica,
Yes, that helps. I tried the Shred DVD soon after Summer was born, but honestly, all the bouncing was a little painful. However, now that I’m no longer breastfeeding and armed with a better sports bra, I’ll give in another go. Thanks for the encouragement. :)

Hannah May 9, 2011 at 11:14 pm

Nothing in this world can make you less glowing and gorgeous than you are, Heather – remember that :) No weight-related meltdowns, allowed, okay? Only smiles and hugs xoxo

HEAB May 10, 2011 at 9:07 am

Thanks so much Hannah. Hugs and love to you as well. :)

S @ extremebalance.net/blog May 10, 2011 at 12:55 am

Oh, I’m with you: basil on EVERYTHING! And thanks to your last post, I’ve discovered So Good coconut milk cream. WOW. I don’t actually love coconut, but I’m a big fan of the frozen stuff! No sugar-free in Canada, but I got the vanilla and it only had 12g of sugar in 1/2 cup, instead of 20 (for frozen yogurt). So… while that’s still a bit too much for a regular treat, what a find! Thanks for the inspiration!

HEAB May 10, 2011 at 9:07 am

S,
You are so welcome. Love that stuff, but it is expensive. If you have an ice-cream maker, it’s super easy to make your own. Just let me know if you’d ever like the recipe. :)

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) May 10, 2011 at 12:59 am

100% faith in you , my friend! <3

HEAB May 10, 2011 at 9:06 am

Thanks Deb. Love you!

Tasha @ Voracious May 10, 2011 at 5:55 am

Hahaha, magical mess of a lunch – that is exactly the kind of thing I would say. And I’m cracking up imaging what your neighbors might think. Being a food blogger I’ve made so many people give me funny looks when I am snapping away at my plate in a restaurant…or in my backyard….the things we do for our blogs!

Good luck on your shape up journey, but I hope you are tender and compassionate with yourself. I’m sure you will be, but I just want to put that out there. You created another healthy happy amazing human being. Your body is phenomenal!

I agree with you about the sugar – I feel so much better when I don’t eat much (or any) of it. Of course…I type this after just eating a piece of chocolate peanut butter caramel brownies….sigh.

HEAB May 10, 2011 at 9:05 am

Thanks for the reminder Tasha. Always good to hear. :)

Baking 'n' Books May 10, 2011 at 6:36 am

Whenever I cut an avocado and store the other half in the fridge, it seems to go “gray” very quickly. I usually put it in a sealed ziplock bag. Is there a proper way to store it so it lasts longer?

HEAB May 10, 2011 at 9:04 am

BnB,
Always store the leftover half with the seed intact. It will probably still brown a bit but that helps. If mine get really brown, I just mash it with some cocoa powder. Chocolate covers all wrongs. ;)

Baking N Books May 10, 2011 at 9:55 am

G.e.n.i.u.s.

Kath (My Funny Little Life) May 10, 2011 at 7:22 am

My neighbors have also noticed my funny ways already … Taking pictures of breakfast bowls in the flower bed, flexing in a strange position. (Sometimes I think there’s something like picure taking yoga ;) – you have to get into really strange positions and hold them to make a good pic. :D )

Funny, but recently a woman moved in here who is as strange as me, food-wise. The first thing I saw of her was that she put her blender on her window sill in the kitchen. :D That’s very unusual in Germany, most people don’t have blenders. And she also does the green smoothie thing. :D And she eats overnight oats. She does that because it’s the only way she could cure her massive bowel problems.

I love your lunch. A lot of my favorite things are in there … chicken, spinach, eggs (new!), basil … Mmmmmmmm! :D

HEAB May 10, 2011 at 9:03 am

Kath,
I think your neighbor and I would get along splendidly. She sounds like a good friend to have. :)

Riss May 10, 2011 at 7:45 am

I just love your “messy” meals! Perhaps it’s because that’s how I tend to eat, too. So simple, healthy, and filling! Sure, spending hours crafting the “perfect meal” is fun sometimes… but I swear, the messy meals take satisfaction to a whole new level!

My mom is in town for graduation, and she threw together a darling little herb garden for me on the back deck…. With basil, of course! I’ll be fresh-herbin’ it all summer long, and I’m soooooo excited!

HEAB May 10, 2011 at 9:00 am

Riss,
What an amazing graduation gift! I would love that. Aren’t moms the best?!!! :)

Kate (Bread & Chocolate) May 10, 2011 at 7:57 am

Your spinach lunch looks good (the bigger the mess, the bigger the flavor, no?) Here’s another light lunch you might like – spinach slaw. My garden is finally starting to produce…Yay!

charlotte May 10, 2011 at 8:08 am

Basil and cilantro are my two fave herbs to eat!! I just planted a bunch! Here’s hoping the grow… unlike last year.

Angel7 May 10, 2011 at 8:17 am

You “magical mess of a lunch” looks really good! I am sure that it packs a powerful punch :)

Sarah May 10, 2011 at 8:47 am

Mmm, basil. One of my neighbors has a huge herb garden in her front yard, and whenever I walk by her house I get so hungry!!
Your plan sounds like a great, low-key approach to shedding a little baby weight. Just remember, though, that you are so beautiful — and your adorable baby thanks you for everything your body has done for her!!

HEAB May 10, 2011 at 8:59 am

Thanks Sarah. :)

Amber from Berlinswhimsy May 10, 2011 at 9:35 am

Good luck to you! I’m trying to tone up a bit right now, too. In the past when my kids were younger, I resorted to pretty crazy work-out activities (like running up & down our sturdy picnic table…). Thankfully, I didn’t have neighbors then (they would have gotten a good chuckle). You still look fabulous so don’t beat yourself up too much, though I know you have certain expectations—as we all do… :-)

Jacqueline May 10, 2011 at 10:16 am

Hi-first time commenter-I LOVE your blog and your honesty.

I needed to comment on yoga-I too stopped running as it is always a trigger for my eating disorder for some reason-I can’t seem to know when to stop. I have also been doing yoga exclusively for months now and my butt and upper body have never looked better. So I think you CAN tone with yoga. Plus the mind body element of yoga seems to make it the one exericise that stays positive for me and doesn’t trigger all of nothing mentality or restrictive eating-just my two cents!! Yoga is also the only form of exercise that I have ever really looked forward to day in day out-so othat has to count for something!!

HEAB May 10, 2011 at 10:23 am

Jacqueline,
Yes! Whenever anyone tells me they don’t think yoga is good for strengthening and toning, I tell them to go take a vinyasa class at a yoga studio and compare the regular attendees there to people working out in the cardio room of their local gym. I then ask them who they’d rather look like. ;)

Also, you’re so right about the mind body connection. Yoga has done so much for me on that level.

Mary @ Delightful Bitefuls May 10, 2011 at 10:30 am

Your lunch looks very tasty! I love basil!

New to your blog; happy I found you!

Mary xo
Delightful Bitefuls

HEAB May 10, 2011 at 10:51 am

Mary,
Welcome. I’m happy to be found. :)

Roz May 10, 2011 at 11:24 am

LOVE the quote! And love basil!!!!! I can personally attest to yoga’s toning power. I go 3 times a week now, and my waist is MUCH smaller than it was before (though the number on the scale hasn’t changed as much as I’d wished for). Oh well, it’s all a long process and a journey. Have a great day Heather. Namaste!

Lara (Thinspired) May 10, 2011 at 11:45 am

Heabs, I’ve put on some extra poundage too, and I didn’t even birth and nurse a baby. You know what? I’m alright it with it for the moment…I have a healthier relationship with food despite the pounds (a solid 10 at least) and I am still exercising and eating 80% healthy foods. My family, husband, and friends still love me, so I should still love me, too, right? Maybe it will come off as the weather warms up, I do hope it does, but if it doesn’t, I am working on being as forgiving with myself as I am with other people.
I support your de-love efforts if you will feel better for it, but please know that we all adore and love you just the way you are right now :)

HEAB May 10, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Thanks Lara, such an encouraging comment, and one I totally needed to read today. And yes, we all love you, but most importantly, you need to love you. Good reminder for us all. :)

Rachel May 11, 2011 at 1:16 pm

1 Peter 3:8 – I like it! :)