Garden Dreams

by HEAB on May 11, 2011

I’m proud to say that the dirt currently under my fingernails is NOT cocoa or carob powder. Nope, for once, it is actually dirt.

Summer and I spent the morning at a local garden center chatting it up and receiving much assistance from the kind and helpful staff. They helped me pick out some ferns for these urns on our front patio that have been empty for way too long. Practically indestructible I was told..we shall see. ;)

We then started talking herbs, and I told them all about my dreams of a small garden. Someday, I hope to have something like this..

201105111419.jpg

Kate’s patio garden in wine crates. So fun, no?

However, since I have no green thumb WHATSOEVER, I need to start small. You know, build my confidence up a bit. Behold, HEAB’s herb garden…

They potted some fresh cilantro and basil for me, adding a few flowers leftover from another customer, and I was given precise instructions on how to care for my herbs. I can do this. I will do this.

Melissa told me that herbs make a meal in the summertime, and I have to agree. So simple, yet so flavorful, just like today’s lunch…

IMG_5658_2.JPG

Onions, mushrooms, and spinach cooked in ghee with one egg scrambled in and topped with fresh chopped basil, avocado, and wing sauce.

Listening to Ani DiFranco sing Angry Any More and spending the rest of Summer’s afternoon nap Pinning. Bye. :)

birdie to be May 11, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Looks so fresh. I want a garden of my very own too. :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) May 11, 2011 at 2:51 pm

I just got accepted into Pinterest yesterday! I seriously had no idea the site even existed or what it was til about 3 weeks ago. Then I kept seeing people talk about it so got on the waiting list and voila, i am now a pinner too. Well, I havent done anything (except you and I are friends on there already..lol) but will be pinning things, soon.

Gardening…yay for dirt. I am in the midst of prewriting a post about plants. Great minds think alike :)

HEAB May 11, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Averie,
Ha, like you and I both need another hobby…especially you! Pinterest is addicting. It will be great for some photography inspiration. :)

Lorne May 11, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Believing you CAN become a gardener Heather!

Try mint, it really takes care of itself and will come up again next year all on its own. It will spread itself though, so you need somewhere with a bit of space.

Happy gardening!

HEAB May 11, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Lorne,
Oooh, I know the perfect spot for some mint. :)

michelle May 11, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Be very careful with mint. I spent 5 summers ripping mint (which has roots to china) out of my garden so that the other herbs wouldn’t be taken over. It’s really considered a weed and grows like one!

Carolyn May 12, 2011 at 3:25 am

be afraid, be very afraid…

Molly May 11, 2011 at 2:51 pm

love the herb garden pot! And the ferns look beautiful :)

HEAB May 11, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Thanks Molly. Still hoping to revive my Whole Foods basil. Thinking coffee grounds were a bad idea. ;)

Melissa B. May 11, 2011 at 2:54 pm

I love the ferns & urns ;)

I too will be planting my little herb garden soon. I had one last year that did very well, and I’m excited to expand it. I would love to plant a few peppers and tomatoes, but my backyard furry friends always find a way to destroy them!

Ellie@fitforthesoul May 11, 2011 at 2:57 pm

ooohhhh how fun Heather!! gardening seems so awesome, but still so foreign to so many of us! at least to me :P

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood May 11, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Yesss! I love gardening! Speaking of which, I have to plant my tomatoes for some delicious sun-dried tomato yummyness :-D

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing May 11, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Our basil plants never last — we get too antsy and excited to make pesto! :D They’re uprooted far too quickly. Hehe.

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) May 11, 2011 at 3:16 pm

I have hopes and dreams of having a garden this summer, too! Good luck with yours, it looks like it’s off to a good start!! :)

LOVE the wine crate garden. That’s a great idea!

Kelly May 11, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Love love Ani DiFranco…especially when they play her at yoga. :)

HEAB May 11, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Kelly,
I do too – used to listen to her all the time, and just heard Angry Anymore yesterday on the radio and got out all my old CD’s. :)

Christin@purplebirdblog May 11, 2011 at 3:30 pm

I have a wine box that a deaf guy from Costco gave me. I couldn’t say no, and I knew it would come in handy for something… I sooooo need to replicate that idea when we move! :)

HEAB May 11, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Christin,
Totally hitting the Costco wine store from crates next time I’m there. :)

melissa @ the delicate place May 11, 2011 at 3:33 pm

yay!!! you’ll be so glad these are planted! i’m eating next to my herbs haha: http://thedelicateplace.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/img_3256.jpg

HEAB May 11, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Melissa,
Love it. You’re too cute. :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) May 11, 2011 at 3:35 pm

The wine boxes are cute. I can’t wait to garden! I had fresh basil in my salad last night with an over easy egg…definitely a great summer salad! Enjoy your evening Heather.

Holly @ The Runny Egg May 11, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Good luck with the ferns and the herbs! I am hoping to plant some veggies in pots this weekend — we can’t dig in our yard since we live in a townhome :( I hope I have some success with the pots!

Your lunch looks delicious!

HEAB May 11, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Holly,
Happy potting. It will work. :)

Kath (My Funny Little Life) May 11, 2011 at 3:40 pm

I’ve recently planted tomatoes, hokkaido squash, and red bell peppers. This is my first attempt with gardening, and I hope the plants will grow nicely! I already love them with all my heart, and it feels so good to have to care for. I also have parsley and basil on my window sill. I want to grow cilantro! :D

Your lunch looks wonderful, and I agree that fresh herb add some twist to every meal. :)

The Teenage Taste May 11, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Great choice of herbs, Heather! Cilantro and basil are two of my favorites!

Maggie @ Say Yes to Salad May 11, 2011 at 4:31 pm

I love this idea! If only I had a patio… ;) Someday (soon) maybe, when/if we move to Brooklyn. Good luck with the growing! In CA I grew a tomato plant and actually got 1 or 2 off of it (heirloom!). And we always used to grow basil. It’s hardy – I would forget to water it all the time and it would always revive when I finally did. I miss having a deck!

HEAB May 11, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Maggie,
I’d miss all that CA sun. Didn’t know you guys were thinking of moving to Brooklyn. That’s exciting, and yes, you need a space for some pots! :)

Maggie @ Say Yes to Salad May 11, 2011 at 5:38 pm

It’s more of a long-term plan! Not sure when we want to deal with the hassle of moving :)

Elena @ GagaForGrapefruit May 11, 2011 at 4:59 pm

woo i want a basil plant, but i’m afraid i have a black thumb too :(

HEAB May 11, 2011 at 7:23 pm

Elena,
If I can keep basil alive anyone can. Give me one month, & if I haven’t killed it by then, then you should totally go for it! :)

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate May 11, 2011 at 5:39 pm

Avocado and eggs are so good together. Mmm…

Kim May 11, 2011 at 5:53 pm

Oh my gosh, I feel like I have a celeb following me on pinterest :) . Love your boards so far. How totally addicting is that site?

HEAB May 11, 2011 at 6:37 pm

Kim,
Haha – oh my gosh, CANNOT stop pinning. So many new ideas – I could spend all day looking at art, crafts, photos, home ideas…so fun!

Moni'sMeals May 11, 2011 at 6:09 pm

Lovely!
sounds addictive too!

Katie May 11, 2011 at 6:28 pm

I just figured out my moving situation this summer and I will be able to garden this year after all!! I just got my Gardening in Wisconsin book in the mail today. It’s killing me to not sit on my couch and read it, but I keep telling myself to work one more hour….as I sit here reading blogs. ;)

HEAB May 11, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Katie,
Yay – hope you’re able to grow more kabocha! :)

Roz May 11, 2011 at 6:37 pm

LOVE the herb garden – it may not be like Kate’s plants in the boxes, but it’s lovely all the same, and will add great flavour to your meals!!!

HEAB May 11, 2011 at 7:22 pm

Roz,
Thank you, and yes it will, including tonight’s dinner. :)

Veronica May 11, 2011 at 6:45 pm

Looks like my lunch. Except I had 2 eggs, olive oil, and two slices of white rice flour bread. Would have been better with rice in the mix. I use a lot of garlic and herb seasonings. Mrs. Dash sometimes works.

Angie (Losing It and Loving It) May 11, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Those ferns are beautiful! I have managed to keep a palm plant alive for quite some time now (indoors) and we bought 2 large palm tree plants last week so I hope to keep them alive. AND I am planting tomatoes and bell peppers for the very first time so we shall see how that works out. I would love to have more veggies but I need to start out small. Mom wants to grow herbs so maybe we’ll get that started this weekend when we visit.

I saw Kate’s wine crates earlier today and thought it was so cool.

McKayla @ Green Groats May 11, 2011 at 8:04 pm

I love your baby garden! I really want to grow some more fruits and veggies this summer too.

Lunch sounds great. I just love anything with eggs and spinach :)

Amanda Y. May 11, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Don’t get discouraged–if you can grow herbs, you can grow anything! I’ve done well with vegetables and I’m even trying strawberries this year, but I always seem to kill my herbs–esp. cilantro and parsley! So, good luck and know that you can do vegetables (even if herbs are a challenge)

HEAB May 12, 2011 at 7:41 am

Thanks for the encouragement Amanda. I figured herbs would be the easiest. Good to know they’re not!

Kate (Bread & Chocolate) May 11, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Thanks so much for highlighting my wine crate container garden! I’m tickled pink (or green?) and will keep posting recipes as my veggies keep popping up.

HEAB May 12, 2011 at 7:42 am

Kate,
Thanks so much for sharing your cool idea. I really do hope to do something like that soon! :)

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli May 11, 2011 at 8:17 pm

Oh wow! The ferns look perfect! Virtually indestructible, eh? Hmm, that’s because they’ve never met ME! I totally killed two of those suckers last year…though I blame my super short memory span for not giving them enough water!…ugh, speaking of water, I need to water my tomato plant! Eeeek!

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food May 11, 2011 at 11:31 pm

I so hope that our next apt/townhouse etc has an area where we can garden I do so love fresh herbs! :)

Eden May 12, 2011 at 1:48 am

ya know, with a name like “Eden” you’d think I’d be a good gardner. Nope, that thumb of mine is pitch black.

Eden May 12, 2011 at 1:48 am

Hannah May 12, 2011 at 3:21 am

Good luck with the garden! I’m envious, as there is literally nowhere in my tiny apartment I could grow anything. Not even a window-ledge! If you want a hardy herb, I saw grow some rosemary. The bush at my parents’ place has been angling for world domination for years ;)

HEAB May 12, 2011 at 7:39 am

Thanks Hannah. Good to know. I love love LOVE the smell of rosemary, and it’s so good on potatoes!

Hannah May 12, 2011 at 7:40 am

And with Nigella’s Union Square nuts recipe! That stuff is like crack :P

Marina May 12, 2011 at 4:46 am

I would love to have a veggie/herb garden, but like you, I have no green thumbs. And for now, no place for any plants. My basil died because I really don’t have any light or a nice place for it in my apartment :(
Good luck with those plants!

Anne May 12, 2011 at 7:12 am

next thing you know that little pot is gonna expand into a ginormous garden :D
and maybe then you can offer some in a giveway!! hehe i kid, i kid.
i bet food tastes THAT much better with fresh herbs. ahhhh..yumm

HEAB May 12, 2011 at 7:38 am

Anne,
You know I’d send you some fresh herbs if I could, and yes, food tastes so much better with the fresh stuff. Sprinkled both basil and cilantro all over my dinner last night. So yummy!

Meghan @ StruggleMuffins May 12, 2011 at 8:34 am

That’s awesome that you’re getting into gardening; there’s something about being part of the process of growing your own food that seems so wholesome and gratifying. I’d like to learn more about it but haven’t yet ventured into that territory because I do NOT have a green thumb. Thanks for sharing your experience with it :)

Sarah @ See Sarah Eat May 12, 2011 at 8:47 am

My husband and I are about to buy our first home with a decent sized patio, so I would love to have an herb garden! However, I have never grown anything and have no idea where to start either ;-)

R @ Learning As I Chop May 12, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Jealous of your herb garden! I want one as well