A Wet, But Productive Morning

by HEAB on May 13, 2011

How is your Friday the 13th going thus far? Mine has been busy. My dad and brother are picking me up later this afternoon. We’re driving to Indiana for my older brother’s graduation from Butler University, and for the next 48 hours, I’ll be away from CD and Summer. As excited as I am about spending the weekend with my family, I am dreading saying goodbye. However, I keep reminding myself it will be a good weekend for us all. I’ll get to hang out with my brothers and sister-in-law, who I rarely get to see, and Chris will get to spend all weekend with Summer. I’ve never been away for her for more than 3 hours, and I know CD is looking forward to some father/daughter time. So, I’ve spent all morning getting ready for my trip…or I guess I should say getting Summer and her dad ready for my absence. :)

The laundry is almost done, and the house will be clean by the time I leave. The grocery shopping is complete, and food prep for the weekend is finished…

First up, a double batch of Butterfied Oaties for CD,

IMG_5709_2.JPG

and next up, we have broccoli, eggplant, and yellow squash sticks roasted in butter and sea salt for Summer. Turns out she loves broccoli…which totally makes up for the avocado hating. ;)

Even though CD is a great cook, when I’m not around to sit down and eat dinner with him, he’s been known to consume nothing but Oaties. Therefore, I made him a brown rice noodle lasagna with grass fed finished beef. With the leftover ingredients, I made myself a mini version of my favorite fail proof lasagna recipe for tonight’s road trip.

IMG_5702_2.JPG

CD, the Oaties are for after you eat this. :)

After cooking and cleaning, I needed some fresh air. The weather was a bit messy this morning, but Summer and I were able to squeeze in a 30-minute walk in between weather fronts. I wore my new Jambu Water Diva-Vegan shoes.

Perfect for walking through wet grass when Summer and I have to off-road it,

or for wading in our neighborhood creek…

The Jambus were given to me for free to review on the blog, and I’ve fallen in love with these easy on/off water-ready shoes. I’ve put over 10 miles on them, and I love that there is an adjustable criss-crop strap that velcroes on both sides of my foot. Because my feet are big and wide (size 10!), strappy shoes like this often rub and squeeze my feet causing blisters, and so it’s nice to have such accommodating straps. The super light memory foam footbed is super comfy, and I love the floral motif on the outsole. They are a little pricey, but I’m willing to invest more money in a shoe that is built well and will last. So, if I had not been given the shoes, I would definitely consider buying them for myself as I’m pretty sure I’m going to live in them all summer. For more information on the company and where to buy Jambu Adventure Designs, please click here.

OK, time to get cracking on the rest of my to-do list. Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

jen @ taste life May 13, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Aw, have a great weekend – I’m sure Summer and CD will have a lovely time and thrilled to have you back!

Quix May 13, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Ok – brown rice lasagna noodles just blew my mind. I’ve been trying to reduce the amount of wheat I’m eating (my body just seems to like it better) and also the amount of salt, so that kills lasagna, which I love. This looks awesome! I will definitely have to give those a try.

Also, that’s so nice of you to do all that cooking! I don’t think I’d be that nice… :)

Holly @ The Runny Egg May 13, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Those shoes look great! I also have wide feet and sometimes have trouble finding good summer shoes!

I love that you loaded up CD and Summer with some good eats!

Katie May 13, 2011 at 3:58 pm

I have a pair of Jambus and I love them. Super comfortable and they are starting to make some great styles too. My feet are the opposite – they are long and skinny….I think I’d make a great barefoot waterskiier.

CD is a lucky man. Enjoy your weekend!

Maggie @ Say Yes to Salad May 13, 2011 at 4:27 pm

That’s it, I am making butterfied oaties for Bobby. He keeps complaining about the lack of snacks around here!

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate May 13, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Have a safe trip!

Shauna May 13, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Funny, we’re sole sisters. ;) I have wide feet, either 9.5 or 10. I tried those on at REI last time I was there, but (mistakenly) chose a different pair. Justneed to go get them exchanged.

Enjoy your trip! You are so good to make food to leave behind.

HEAB May 14, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Shauna,
Yes, go back for the Jambus. I love them! :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) May 13, 2011 at 4:58 pm

Have fun Heather. I know it will be hard, but you know what they say about absence…I will be in the same situation next weekend with my boys. I have to start setting them up for meals while I’m got. Enjoy your weekend my friend!

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing May 13, 2011 at 5:03 pm

My husband will eat only eggs and peanut butter and honey sandwiches when I’m gone — he’s a good cook too, so this always bewilders me. :) I’m sure this weekend will present its challenges, but hopefully the opportunity to see family will be a comfort! Hope you have a great time. Love those shoes!

katie May 13, 2011 at 5:19 pm

have a wonderful trip! your such a caring wife and mother, you are all so lucky to have eachother!

Alyssa May 13, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Those shoes look FAB!!!! I also have size 10 feet. But mine are extra narrow, which, as a friend once explained, accounts for my clumsiness. She said that if I were 3 inches shorter OR my feet were wider, I’d have better balance and wouldn’t fall over all the time.
Something to ponder…
When my kids were babies, I HATED leaving them with other people. (Oh, who am I kidding? They’re 10 and 7 1/2, and I STILL hate leaving them, lol!) It’s so hard, but it will be good for all of you.
Enjoy your weekend!!!!!

HEAB May 14, 2011 at 8:26 pm

Alyssa,
Oh wow – I never thought about that. Makes total sense though. Finally, a reason to love my wide feet, better balance! :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) May 13, 2011 at 5:22 pm

jambu sent me some shoes but the largest size they go to is a women’s 11 and i am a 12 (yes, bigfoot to match the rest of my tall frame…lol) but now I am totally bummed that they didnt fit b/c yours look sooo cute!!

the weekend away…can only imagine how hard it will be for you. I have only left skylar once, for about 24 hrs, that was the longest. i missed her so much i came home from the event early…and she was almost 4 yrs old. I shouldnt even be telling you this but it’s my way of saying its ok if you miss them tons :)

And the oaties and lasagna both look delish!

HEAB May 14, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Averie,
I knew you had big feet, but I didn’t know you were a size 12. Makes sense though since you’re so tall. I totally envy your height. I’m 5′ 7″ and would love to be taller!

Elena @ GagaForGrapefruit May 13, 2011 at 5:47 pm

have a fabulous weekend dear! they will miss you, but reuniting will be THAT much better! :)

Ana May 13, 2011 at 6:09 pm

Hope you have a great weekend Heather!
Your shoes are so cute, love them!! And I totally get it when you say “getting Summer and her dad ready for my absence”, I am the same way, I try to leave everything in place, in order, clean, and prepared if I need to leave the guys here for more than a day.
Enjoy your trip and your time with your family!!

Baking 'n' Books May 13, 2011 at 6:24 pm

Oh wow – those shoes look like totally my style. Comfy, cute – and flat (me and heels don’t mix) ;)

HEAB – you are SUCH a good mom and wife!!! Brown-rice lasagna – the picture is a tease! :)

Lorne May 13, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Oh my! – this is a huge milestone for you, CD and Summer. I am guessing that you are going to be wondering how they are getting on with out you but worry not, they will be grand :0)

Hope you have a wonderful time with your family – family time rocks!

HEAB May 14, 2011 at 7:36 pm

Thanks Lorne. I’ve only called them 3 times today…maybe once more before I go to bed. Father and daughter are definitely having a grand time together. :)

Ellie@fitforthesoul May 13, 2011 at 7:42 pm

have a fun and blessed time Heather~ :D and a creek in the neighborhood?! that’s unheard of in socal! haha

HEAB May 14, 2011 at 7:35 pm

Ellie,
Yeah, but I’d trade our creek any day for all your sunshine. :)

McKayla (green groats) May 13, 2011 at 8:50 pm

I applaud you for all of your food prep. You are one organized woman!

Meagan May 13, 2011 at 9:20 pm

I enjoyed the comments you made about CD – too funny! That lasagne like dish you made him looks fantastic :)

michelle May 13, 2011 at 9:22 pm

This makes me laugh. I would spend 2 days preparing for a weekend or even a night away like you did. I’m sure my husband could have handled it fine just like CD but I still felt the need to have the house cleaned and the meals cooked.
You’re a good mommy/wife and I hope you have a great time with your family.

Annie May 13, 2011 at 9:28 pm

Hey?? I have exactly the same shoe.. in the same size! LOL.. love love love them… have a great weekend… good family time.. and it’ll be cool for daddy and summer too… and she likes broccoli?? but not avocados?? no kidding?? mmmm

HEAB May 14, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Annie,
Yay, girls with big feet and cool taste in shoes unite!

Oh, and I have not given up on the avocado yet. I think it just needed a little lime and cilantro. Maybe some salt. :)

Angel7 May 13, 2011 at 11:55 pm

I usually make meals for my husband and daughter when I am away for a meal or two. Otherwise, he usually makes peanut butter and jelly sandwiches :)

Hannah May 14, 2011 at 6:00 am

Have an utterly wonderful weekend yourself! I hope that every time you miss Summer, you instead picture her and CD beaming at each other. That might help the pangs :)

HEAB May 14, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Hannah,
Or I could just call them – already talked to them 3 times today. :) But yes, thinking of CD playing with Summer does put me at ease.

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope May 14, 2011 at 6:17 am

Congrats to your brother and have a fabulous time with your family!

Those shoes do look awesome! It’s nice to have a comfy alternative to running shoes when you want to go for a walk. Great review!

Sara May 14, 2011 at 12:56 pm

I’ll be at graduation too! Congratulations to your brother and don’t be surprised if some crazy six-foot-tall red-headed girl comes up and knows your name :)

HEAB May 14, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Sara,
We missed each other today. Would have loved to have met you. :)

Marina May 14, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Have a great weekend with your family.
I’m sure Summer and her dad will have a great time together :)
I can’t believe she likes broccoli! She really is her mother’s daughter :)

Chad @ thebreakupnote May 14, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Hope your weekend is great too thus far and throughout. your foods up there are seducing my stomach. So creative!

Kath (My Funny Little Life) May 14, 2011 at 6:31 pm

I love that you did all that cooking in advance to get your dear ones through the weekend well! :) The shoes are so beautiful! Does vegan mean that they are made without any leather etc?

HEAB May 14, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Kath,
Yep, no animal products used in the shoes. They are made with recycled rubber rather than leather.

Tori (Fresh Fruition) May 14, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Yum! I could eat that whole plate-full of roasted veggies!

Sarah May 14, 2011 at 9:05 pm

you could slash should be a foot model! :)

Katherine May 14, 2011 at 9:58 pm

I wear a size 10 also, and I have been looking for a pair of shoes like this to wear to work. I need something comfy.
On a different note, that creek look beautiful!

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food May 15, 2011 at 12:06 am

Have a wonderful time with your family! :)

Too funny that CD will just eat oaties, I had a friend who married a guy that would get a 6 pack of large cinnabuns and eat one for breakfast, lunch and dinner for two days in a row. I think the oaties are better than that! :P

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli May 15, 2011 at 9:15 am

Oh, I’m sure it will be hard to be away from Summer, but it’s nice that CD and her get some good daddy/daughter bonding time! Yay for broccoli! Now I can totally forgive her for hating avocado! ;)

Hope you have a great time! Be safe!

SquatLikeALady May 15, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Ooooh, thanks for the review of those shoes! I am constantly looking for more humane clothing options but it’s hard to gauge comfort/etc from a picture online, ya know? [I live in the middle of beef country. Two of my local grocery stores don't even have tofu.]

That creek is just gorgeous!

Emilia May 15, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Hope you had a good time at your brother’s graduation! Seems like school is ending sooner and sooner these days, no? :)
I also hope that Summer enjoyed those cooked veggies- who wouldn’t if they were made by the lovely YOU? :)

Gena May 15, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Hates avocado?! Ah, my heart breaks. But the broccoli part is good :)

Cat @ WellSavannah May 15, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Those are the cutest shoes!!! They remind me of a pair of J-41′s I had maybe 2 years ago and completely wore out because I wore them everyday. I may have to hunt these cute shoes down!
I hope you enjoyed your weekend with family. I bet CD enjoyed his bonding time with Summer. It was also good for you I’m sure to get a break…I bet you’ll be 3x’s the mommy because you’ll be so well rested! :) I can relate….it is SO SUPER hard leaving for the first more than 3 hour stretch. The smile she’ll give you when you get back will be amazing though!