Simplifying

by HEAB on May 17, 2011

I made homemade almond milk yesterday. Normally, I use this recipe, but I’m all about simplifying these days.

IMG_5820_2.JPG

2 TBSP Almondie Almond Butter + 2 cups water. Blend. Voila – almond milk.

The almond milk is thick and creamy. Tastes good too. We have a winner. I used it to make a batch of Coconut Cornbread. It made the house smell like cake. I was happy.

IMG_5825_2.JPG

For breakfast, I ate two slices of warm cornbread drizzled with the Almondie. Dreamy drizzable nut butter = another happy moment in my life.

My butt is sore. I blame what I thought would be a simple workout…

Good stuff, but more on these later this week.

Good words for a sore butt…

You don’t have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.

Thank you C.S. Lewis. Yes, I do have a body…and it hurts. Ouch.

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food May 17, 2011 at 9:24 am

I LOVE using almond butter to make quick almond milk, such a great idea :)

I can’t wait to hear about your workout, the best ones make your booty sore ;)

Holly @ The Runny Egg May 17, 2011 at 9:31 am

I love your super simple recipe for almond milk. I need to try that!

Sorry about your butt.

Emily May 17, 2011 at 9:36 am

I can’t believe how easy it was to make that almond milk, it looks great!

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate May 17, 2011 at 9:44 am

Going to make that cornbread today. Looks so good ;)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) May 17, 2011 at 9:44 am

I love it when my butt is sore! Makes me feel stronger! Coconut cornbread…YUM! I made microwave cakes for all of us this weekend. I think I need to try this one in the microwave. I can imagine is smells incredible!

Val @ Balancing Val May 17, 2011 at 9:50 am

What a wonderful idea!

I wonder how it would taste with other nut butters :)

Alina May 17, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Hi Val, it tastes amazing with other nuts. I’ve been using plain nuts with water only. in a blendtek – my faves are cashew and walnut milks. but I went through a pecan phase and pumpkin seed phase. Also peanut butter milk- very decadent, tahini milk. anything goes. i make a very small batch so i always use freshly made. i ve tried vanilla and salt and stevia etc in it but it has to be consumed immediately. and i only use it for tea and coffee so i keep it plain. have fun making nut mylks haha

HEAB May 17, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Thanks Alina. Good to know!

HEAB May 17, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Val,
Alina left the following comment for you.

Desi@ThePalatePeacemaker May 17, 2011 at 9:55 am

Heather, that C.S. Lewis quote is one of my all time favorites! :) Love that you shared it with all of us today… xo

HEAB May 17, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Desi,
Happy to share, especially anything written by Mr. Lewis. What an amazing man.

katie May 17, 2011 at 9:57 am

Wow what a quick and inexpensive way to make almond milk, i HAVE to try that!!!! milk can be so expensive. Can you use this like regular milk, with cereal or in smoothies?

HEAB May 17, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Katie,
Yep, you can sub it for anything that calls for regular milk. Enjoy! :)

kristi (sweet cheeks) May 17, 2011 at 10:01 am

Ohh cool! I will have to try that sometime. I love simply recipes like that. Thanks heab!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) May 17, 2011 at 10:11 am

I love DOMS- go Heabs and your sore booty!

And your almond milk is sooo totally what I would do= I have the patience of a gnat.

Love you~!

HEAB May 17, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Love you too Deb. Always. :)

janae@hungryrunnergirl.com May 17, 2011 at 10:17 am

That cornbread looks amazing!! I have never heard of making almond milk that way…you have changed my life and I can’t wait to try it!!!

Felicia (Natural + Balanced) May 17, 2011 at 10:22 am

Right there with you…my butt has been killing me these past 2 days. Love it :)

Maggie @ Say Yes to Salad May 17, 2011 at 10:24 am

Great idea for the milk… I wonder if it would work with other nut butters? Peanut milk perhaps?

HEAB May 17, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Maggie,
Yes, Averie left a comment below saying she makes peanut milk with peanut butter, water, vanilla, and sweetener. Sounds heavenly, no?

susie May 17, 2011 at 10:37 am

I had no idea it could be that easy to make almond milk. I will have to give it a try!

tea-bag May 17, 2011 at 10:40 am

oh i love drizzable nut butters! i really don’t like the thick ones & it’s so hard to tell what consistency they’ll be when they’re in the jar!

HEAB May 17, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Tea-Bag,
Me too. That’s why I never keep my roasted nut butters in the fridge – love them runny.

tea-bag May 17, 2011 at 1:46 pm

brilliant! i never thought of that!

Holley @ Lunges and Lashes May 17, 2011 at 10:45 am

great quick fix when you don’t have any almond milk! i am kind of shocked that it looks white… i don’t know why, but I am amazed!

HEAB May 17, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Holley,
I am always surprised by the color as well.

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) May 17, 2011 at 10:50 am

I first starting almond milk, well in my case peanut butter milk, when I started reading raw/raw-ish cookbooks. I think it was Matthew and Sarma’s first book together, Living in the Raw, that I remember reading that’s how they make their “cheater’s” almond milk…and since I love PB more than AB, I have created plenty of PB “milk”…add in some vanilla extract, and in my case sweetener/stevia/agave, and I am in heaven :)

Good luck with that sore butt of yours. lol

HEAB May 17, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Averie,
Why have I never thought to do that with peanut butter?!?

Gina May 17, 2011 at 11:09 am

Delicious eats :)
Especially that almond butter !!

Shelby May 17, 2011 at 11:12 am

That cornbread looks heavenly! I’ve got to make some soon, especially with that homemade almond milk. I’m all about simplicity these days too.

I’m going to sound weird saying this, but I love having a sore butt haha! Actually, sore legs, arms, abs, anything. I just love knowing that my workout is effective and my body is changing and getting stronger.

HEAB May 17, 2011 at 1:40 pm

shelby,
Me too – nothing like a little post workout soreness. Just means we accomplished something. You were the original inspiration behind that cornbread recipe you know…the coconut oil. You told me I would die…you were right. :)

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood May 17, 2011 at 11:12 am

Ahh, when my butt was sore last week, I was limping all over the place. Even sitting down hurt. >_<

On the plus side, you got some really good food going on over there ;)

HEAB May 17, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Sylvia,
My quads and butt hurt, and the worst is going to the bathroom. Why do toilet bowls sit so low?!?

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood May 17, 2011 at 1:56 pm

LOL! It’s like doing another squat exercise! ;)

Kelsey @ Clean Teen Kelsey May 17, 2011 at 11:40 am

I am all about simplicity. How does this taste compared to the packed fridge kind by Blue Diamond?

HEAB May 17, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Kelsey,
I love the Blue Diamond – definitely my favorite out of all the commercial brand almond milks. Mine had that homemade taste – really fresh. Need to do a side-by-side comparison as it’s been a while since I’ve bought almond milk from the store.

birdie to be May 17, 2011 at 11:41 am

This look great! And I love how simple that almond milk is. I will have to start making my own. Maybe with a little cinnamon & vanilla. yum

Alaina Rose @ Sweetness Of Life May 17, 2011 at 12:05 pm

That coconut cornbread looks so delicious. And I just have to say, I LOVE that quote. It’s funny because I just came across that quote yesterday and was going to share it on my blog! That has been happening a lot lately. Such synchronicity! I don’t think I’ve ever commented before, so HI! I love you and your blog. I don’t know why it took me so long to comment!

Kelly May 17, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Cornbread is my fave!! I have got to make it soon!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) May 17, 2011 at 1:17 pm

That is a brilliant way to make almond milk! Love simplifying. :)

Hope your bum bum feels better soon, but it’s also a good sign of a killer workout. Yay!

Jamie May 17, 2011 at 1:29 pm

I use almond milk with my meal replacement shake every day. I am going to try this and see how it works as a substitute. It should save a few bucks too! Thanks

Christina May 17, 2011 at 1:56 pm

mmmm almond milk. Seriously that was probably the best thing I’ve seen today, almond milk in seconds! Gotta love it…but not more than coconut bread. Oh my, now I’m hungry again.

Ann Claire May 17, 2011 at 4:09 pm

I had no idea almond milk could be made so easily…. I need a vitamix!
Your cornbread looks so yummy :)

HEAB May 17, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Ann Claire,
No you don’t – any blender should work for the almond milk…although Vita Mixes are really great to have around for other recipes. :)

laurie May 17, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Do you usually use coconut oil in your recipes or coconut butter? I think I’m confused as to the difference.

HEAB May 17, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Laurie,
I use both. Think of this way. Coconut oil is nothing but the oil from the coconut itself – like almond oil. Coconut butter is the oil + coconut meat blended together – like almond butter.

Coconut oil is great for roasting, sauteing, etc – whenever a recipe calls for oil. I usually only use coconut butter to replace other nut butters.

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather May 17, 2011 at 5:34 pm

I like your simple recipe! I’ll have tol give that a try.

Jess@HealthyExposures May 17, 2011 at 5:38 pm

I remember seeing that idea for almond milk on Averie’s site – I haven’t tried it yet, though! For a while I was obsessed with making my own because it tastes so much better and was avoiding excess trips to the store. I need to get back in that groove.
The cornbread? Looks. ah.ma.zing.

Baking 'n' Books May 17, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Oh ,man – I am with you on the Simplifying. I foresee big changes in my future…and it’s all about simplifying (well, as much as you can when you pay a fortune to rent a small apartment that’s not a dive) – but that’s another story! :)

C.S Lewis is (was) a smart man.

melissa @ the delicate place May 17, 2011 at 5:54 pm

does the nut butter settle out? or is it just for a quick cup?

HEAB May 17, 2011 at 8:51 pm

Melissa,
It does separate a bit in the fridge, but my homemade nut milk always do. Nothing a good shake or two won’t fix.

Veronica May 17, 2011 at 8:36 pm

That is a good idea for milk. I go through a one-litre carton of almond milk in 4 days tops. So, does this make 2 cups of almond milk, or more? A cup of commercial AM being the equivalent of your kind?

I enjoy C.S. Lewis. I read the entire series of Chronicles of Narnia in less than one week.

HEAB May 17, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Veronica,
Because my version comes out to about 90 calories per cup, it’s not as diluted as the store bought stuff. However, if you simply double the amount of water, the stats would come out the same. So 2 TBSP almond butter + 4 cups water.

Pure2raw Twins May 17, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Love the simplified almond milk! Brilliant!!!

Tori (Fresh Fruition) May 17, 2011 at 8:51 pm

I never knew you could make almond milk that way! Awesome!

Kristen - Anywhere There's An Airport May 17, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Enough about delicious almond milk. :) I LOVE that quote! Such a good reminder. I always think of it the other way around. But again, much easier to remember when you hurt to good! :)

maria @ Chasing the Now May 17, 2011 at 9:37 pm

LOVE THAT IDEA for almond milk. I can’t buy it in Japan and I hate using a whole cup of raw almonds to make a few cups of almond milk (almonds are expensive here). Trying this soon! :)

Thanks for sharing it.

McKayla @ Green Groats May 17, 2011 at 10:20 pm

Great simple almond milk recipe!!

My whole body is sore right now too. My swim was much longer than normal….

Hannah May 17, 2011 at 11:24 pm

That is a LOVELY quote! Yay!

Can’t wait for the review – I’m thinking my complete inability to join a gym could be ignored if I bought some DVD workouts :)

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free May 18, 2011 at 11:02 am

That is such a great idea-almond butter and water-easy peasy!

I am so missing making my own foods now. I packed a bunch for on the road, but by golly I ate it all ;) Didn’t expect to be gone for so long!

alli May 18, 2011 at 11:57 am

oh wow! another life changing post ;) seriously, why have i never thought to make almond milk that way?!
simplicity is the way to go these days, at least for me. taking care of my little 7.5 month old leaves little time for elaborate anything!

Karen May 18, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Question about the almond milk. When you do your coconut milk you use lecithin but not here. Is there a reason why/why not??? Just curious.

Excellent quote!

HEAB May 18, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Karen,
No, no reason. I’m just lazy these days. :)

I figured it was such a small batch, that I would just shake it up if it separated.

Kath (My Funny Little Life) May 18, 2011 at 5:13 pm

I love simple things! :D

Usually, I make almond milk from just almonds and water. Have you filtered the almond milk (I do), or just mixed the almond butter with water?

HEAB May 18, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Kath,
In the past, I’ve soaked raw whole almonds, blended them, and then filtered saving the almond pulp. However for this recipe, no filtering necessary. The almond butter is like almond milk concentrate. Just add water and blend. So easy!

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli May 18, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Ohh, LOVE it! I’ve been wanting to make my own almond milk for a LONG time but have been too lazy to do it, but this is just too easy! And that cornbread looks like the perfect breakfast!

Just getting caught up on your posts. I’m glad you had a good time with your family! How did CD and Summer enjoy their bonding time?

HEAB May 18, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Heather,
My black loving coffee friends (so I wish I could handle it black, but I just can’t do it!), CD and Summer had a great time together. He was actually really sad to go back to work on Monday. He missed being around here all day. So sweet. :)

Meghan @ StruggleMuffins May 19, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Get outta town – I always thought making almond milk was a highly labor intensive activity but this couldn’t be simpler. I love it, and will be making it – thanks for sharing your kitchen savoir-faire Heather :)

clare May 19, 2011 at 3:24 pm

you are so brilliant. SMOOCH! (get it? KISS?) ;)

rena (RawBodyFitness) May 19, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Just reading this blog post…and I’m so glad I did!
That is a.maz.ing! I will be making my own Almond Milk this way from now on. Thank You! Thank You!! Thank You!!!

Meagan May 20, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Wow, can you do that with EVERY almond butter? I bet Cashini butter would work well.

HEAB May 20, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Meagan,
Yes, I was told you can. Several others said they love making peanut milk. However, if you add flavorings like vanilla or sweetener, it tends to go bad sooner, and therefore you need to make it in small batches or single servings.

Susan May 20, 2011 at 9:38 pm

It’s been far too long since I called you a genius. But after this, I think you need the reminder ;) MUST try!!!

Susan May 22, 2011 at 11:15 am

I just stumbled onto you blog and have enjoyed looking at it!! Lots of great ideas to try!! I looked at the Almondie site as I was eager to make this, but it costs about double from buying it in the grocery store (12 oz Almondie $20+ shipping would make 1.5 gallons of milk). Is there any advantage to making it versus buying it?

HEAB May 22, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Susan,
Nah, any almond butter or nut butter for that matter should work. I just happen to have a sample of the Almondie on hand. A few other commenter even mentioned using peanut butter to make peanut milk. The possibilities are endless. Have fun. :)

Tash April 7, 2013 at 5:33 am

Hey! I was wondering if it has to be raw almond butter, or can you use roasted almond butter to make milk?? Thanks :)

HEAB April 7, 2013 at 11:18 am

Tash,
Yes, any nut butter should work, whether roasted or raw. Have fun experimenting. :)

Trina May 29, 2013 at 1:57 pm

Whaaaat?!? This post is awesome because 1: Coconut cornbread sounds crazy delicious, and 2: homemade almond milk? Whoa. Thanks for the idea and the link to the cornbread recipe. Now I can’t wait to get home. :)

HEAB May 30, 2013 at 9:52 am

Hi Trina,
Yeah, that coconut cornbread is crazy delicious. Need to make it again soon. Hope you’re enjoying some soon yourself…with a big glass of homemade almond milk! :)

{ 3 trackbacks }