Get Inspired

by HEAB on May 19, 2011

I’m always honored and grateful whenever other bloggers make my recipes, and I try to read any post that links back to me. I want all of you to know that I appreciate it more than you know, and it’s often how I discover new recipes myself…

Yesterday’s lunch, My Funny LIttle Life’s Squash Tagliatelle with Bolognese Sauce

IMG_5849_2.JPG

I spiralized my squash, and used ghee instead of olive oil. Kath, this was veggie heaven on a plate. Thanks for sharing. If you have the time, please stop by My Funny Little Life and help Kath out with her thesis project in social psychology. She needs participants for her online study. It does not take long, and you might even get something in return. :)

My next recipe discovery?

IMG_5864_2.JPG

Chocolate & Chaturanga’s Carrot Cake Oats with goat milk yogurt and topped with toasted coconut.

I ate that ginormous bowl of goodness late last night. It was dark. CD was watching the Bulls lose (sadness), and once again, I was in veggie heaven (happiness). The fresh ginger is key. You must try!

Other blogs that inspire me lately…

aura joon. I totally have a crush on Aura and her little family. Her photos and stories are amazing, and once you start reading you will not be able to stop.

Bex…a style Diary. I discovered Bex via Maggie. i’m tired of living in yoga clothes everyday and am in major need fashion inspiration.

Roost. The food…the photos…wow! After reading Caitlin’s posts, I want to go live on a farm, cook everything from scratch, and take pretty pictures all day long.

What inspires you these days?

P.S. The winner of the I’m Organic T-shirt is Chandra.

Screen shot 2011-05-19 at 10.31.00 AM.png

Chandra, congrats! Be on the lookout for an email from me soon.

Evan May 19, 2011 at 10:41 am

Heather!! So glad you liked the overnight oats, especially after all the inspiration you’ve provided me with. Thank you for featuring them–I’m truly honored :) I love the goat milk yogurt addition…that stuff is gooood.

Happy Thursday!

HEAB May 19, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Evan,
Just ate your recipe again for lunch with oat bran. Oh my gosh, so good…and SO FILLING. Belly is happy. Thanks again for sharing. :)

G. May 19, 2011 at 10:44 am

Oh my, those carrot cake oats look amazing! I’m always looking for ways to jazz up my oatmeal. Lately I’ve been doing oats with mashed banana, coconut milk, a dab of peanut butter and a bit of dark chocolate. Very yummy, but I could use some more inspiration. Thanks for Sharing. Oh, and Kath at Kath Eats Real Food has some awesome Oat inspiration as well!

HEAB May 19, 2011 at 2:04 pm

G.
Yes, Kath is THE oatmeal guru. Love her Tribute to Oatmeal – never seen so many beautiful bowls. Kath was the first food blog I ever read. Without her, I never would have started my blog. :)

Holly @ The Runny Egg May 19, 2011 at 11:08 am

The squash dish looks fantastic!

What inspires me these days — I’ve been spending quite a bit of time with my mother in law and grandma in law this past week (helping out with Jason’s uncle’s wedding) and being around such loving, selfless and hilarious women inspires me to be ME. I see how they are themselves and they are so happy and I want that for myself!

HEAB May 19, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Holly,
That is wonderful to hear. Loving, selfless, and hilarious women inspire me as well, and I would use all those adjective to describe YOU just so you know. :)

Felicia (Natural + Balanced) May 19, 2011 at 11:12 am

That bowl of oats looks heavenly :)

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing May 19, 2011 at 11:16 am

I think I’m most inspired by my parents; we have had such a year of loss in our family, but they are the strongest and most selfless people I know. They have an amazing, “Well, we’ll just keep doing our best,” attitude to every challenge that comes their way (which is a truly insane number of challenges, just to be real). I love their love for others! Makes me want to get up each morning, be a little more thankful, and really just open myself to being a more compassionate, peaceful person. <3

HEAB May 19, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Katie,
Sounds like you have an amazing mom and dad. :)

Katie May 19, 2011 at 11:37 am

There is just too much out there! I wish I had more time, more meals in a day, and more people to feed, so I could make everything I want to eat. :)

HEAB May 19, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Katie,
I know…Life would be so much easier if I didn’t require sleep.

Katherine May 19, 2011 at 11:41 am

I will most definitely be doing the experiment :D

birdie to be May 19, 2011 at 11:53 am

Oh my gosh… these look amazing! I just bookmarked this recipe. Cant wait to try it.

Tori (Fresh Fruition) May 19, 2011 at 11:58 am

Loving the look of those oats! Especially the labeled spoon :)

Boy do I love a big bowl of oats!

Maggie @ Say Yes to Salad May 19, 2011 at 12:14 pm

I’m so glad you liked Bex’s blog!

Hehe… Bobby watched the Heat win (happiness). He’s from Miami ;)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) May 19, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Dang both of those dishes look amazing! You and a bunch of other ladies inspired me to make some cakes in the microwave and dang were they good! We are all in cake heaven these days.

Nolita May 19, 2011 at 1:17 pm

What a trip! I was checking out aurajoon’s blog and I think we are neighbors! This would be the 3rd blogger I’ve discovered in my small town (but yet a college town) this spring. What tipped me off is the Groovefest link — GF just happened this past weekend and I could hear the music from my back yard… will have to check out her beautiful pics later…thanks for sharing…and the food above looks so yummy!!

HEAB May 19, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Nolita,
Wow, small world. If you should ever run into Aura, please tell her she has a huge fan in Nashville! :)

Nolita May 19, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Yep! She lives across town from me! I am excited to read that she wants to open a boutique and I bet she’s been to many of the estate sales that my neighbor sets up! Thanks for sharing and helping people to connect! Unexpected surprise today!

Kath (My Funny Little Life) May 19, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Thank you so, so much! :D

Francesca May 19, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Heather,

What kind of rice cooker do you use, and do you like it?

Thanks!
Francesca

HEAB May 19, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Francesca,
It’s a super cheap one I bought from Target over 10 years ago. I can’t find the exact one, but it’s similar to this brand: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?client=safari&rls=en&oe=UTF-8&q=aroma+rice+cooker&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=18175376456321035645&sa=X&ei=_mrVTbOQJI24tweXl6jrCw&ved=0CE4Q8wIwBg&biw=1280&bih=593#ps-sellers. It’s fine – gets the job done.

Baking 'n' Books May 19, 2011 at 1:59 pm

I like that you showcase these smaller more “Indie” blogs ;)

Christin@purplebirdblog May 19, 2011 at 2:13 pm

I am completely humbled and inspired by my massage clients at the internship clinic! I have gotten nothing but glowing reviews and often here “This is the best massage I’ve ever received here!” It is soooo fantastic to receive these affirmations, to know that I’m doing such a good job at something I love! I have found my calling and it’s exciting! :D

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) May 19, 2011 at 2:21 pm

What inspires me lately?
Photography and blogs with gorgeous photography, especially of food or nature. That just draws me in like no other. I have a few I read and savor…they are not typical food/health/fitness bloggers though…so there is no schedule and often week(s) can go by without a fresh post…which is kind of inspiring all on its own :)

I just got back from a blogger meetup..here in Aruba! More on that on my next post. For now, I am inspired to go play with Skylar in the pool.

Love your links, your recipes, and will be link hopping on those later tonight when the sun is down.

Congrats to Chandra. Lucky girl!

Caitlin May 19, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Thanks for the sweet shout out Heather! Looking forward to working together :)

HEAB May 19, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Caitlin,
Me too. You are so talented, and my blog could use a little Caitlin touch. :)
P.S. I LOVE all your recipes. My husband doesn’t like to eat grains, and I’m always on the lookout for good grain-free recipes.

Nora May 19, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Stunning food photography and people like YOU! I’ve been meaning to write you for a while now ato let you know that I read your blog daily and always look forward to your next post and recipes to try out (love your oaties, mustard bowls, coconut cornbread and pancakes– it’s all delish!) . You are one of the three blogs that completely inspired me to start my own food blog last week after 2 years of reading your recipes and quirky (in a great way!) recipes – they are right up my alley and I adore you! If you ever are in Denver, I would love to meet you (and of course, precious Summer). I plan to make another batch of oaties soon and link them up to your blog!

Lauren May 19, 2011 at 3:25 pm

That carrot cake oat bran looks absolutely amazing! I cannot WAIT to make that! Dinner tonight? Maybe ;)

The Healthy Hipster May 19, 2011 at 4:09 pm

It definitely inspires me to make my own DIY kitchen staples. Cutting out all that processing just feels better! Like the sugar free jam I whipped together this morning in 5 minutes flat? It put a smile on my face all day long :)

katie @KatieDid May 19, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Being home for a few weeks before heading back up to school I’ve gotten to spend a lot of time with my older brother, whom I’ve always been inspired by. We haven’t lived together in over 5 years, so this has been a great few weeks just going out exploring nature, talking about life, and taking life slowly. He’s so driven and fearless, and I strive to be more like him.
And after looking through Aura’s blog (thanks for the recommendation!) for a while, her photography and ability to find beauty in simple things is very inspiring as well.

Samantha May 19, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Those carrot cake oats are calling my name! In a few weeks we’ll be doing super simple eats since most of our belongings will be gone for several months. I see a lot of oats ahead!

What’s inspiring me lately? Yoga. Simple yoga. With good music. Only one hardcore sesh a week. The rest is just to restore. There’s so much (good and bad) going on right now that it’s literally a big stop sign in my day to just drop to my mat. Yesterday (there’s a couple pics on my blog) I took my practice to the beach and escaped reality for a bit.

HEAB May 19, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Sam,
Restorative yoga is my favorite these days. :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss May 19, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Not to sound cheesy, but your blog was one of the first to inspire me!! I remember finding the Oaties recipe and immediately trying them wayyyyy back when I first started following blogs!

HEAB May 19, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Oh gosh, thanks Mary. That is so nice and not cheesy at all. Made me happy to hear!

Ellie@fitforthesoul May 19, 2011 at 7:07 pm

definitely bloggers like you inspire me, for reals! also, my fiance and friends inspire me, people who are just selflessly giving to others have been inspiring me. LOVE inspires me ;)

lindsay May 19, 2011 at 7:42 pm

yes yes! everyone go support kath! she is brilliant! And her blog is too! HEAB, you made some gooooood eats today. Inspired for sure.

Liz May 19, 2011 at 8:02 pm

Music inspires me the most.

Heather, you might want to check out Farmgirl Fare (www.farmgirlfare.com). She has an amazing farm out in the country and her adventures are awesome (as are her recipes!). It’s one of my favorite blogs. :)

HEAB May 19, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Liz,
I will. Sounds right up my alley. Thank you!

HEAB May 20, 2011 at 7:40 am

Liz,
Checked out Farmgirl Fare. Thanks so much for the link, and music inspires me so much as well. I always associate important memories with specific songs. Love music. :)

Liz May 20, 2011 at 7:40 am

I’m glad you like it! It’s made me a donkey fan, lol.

Nana May 19, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Hi there HEAB,
I want to try this. When do you add the carrots? The night before after the oats are cooked?

Thanks and hope all is well. Feel free to post cute pics of you guys and Summer soon :)

HEAB May 19, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Nana,
I cooked the carrots with the oats. I think you will love it. I had it again today but with oat bran. So yummy and filling. And yes, I miss posting about Summer. Need to do something about that. :)

Angel7 May 19, 2011 at 11:02 pm

Your Chocolate & Chaturanga’s Carrot Cake Oats looks delish!

Our daughter drinks goat milk, but we have never had goat milk yogurt.

ashley May 20, 2011 at 2:03 am

I love looking at peoples’ posts when they link to a recipe of mine! So much fun. :) THANK you for linking to ROOST….INsanely amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!! xo

qq:) May 20, 2011 at 4:09 am

do you mind telling me how to prepare oat bran for meals?

HEAB May 20, 2011 at 7:38 am

qq,
Nope, don’t mind at all. Here you go: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2011/01/07/oat-bran-101-2/

Hannah May 20, 2011 at 4:10 am

Oh gosh, Kath’s was the only blog here that I knew! Thank you for the new links. Shall definitely be trying that delicious-looking carrot cake oats!

Riss May 20, 2011 at 7:41 am

I LOOOOOVE carrot cake oats! They are my definite go-to when I want something rich and creamy (yet healthy) in the mornings!

I’m currently quite obsessed with Andie at http://www.canyoustayfordinner.com/
Her raw honesty is simply enchanting!

kellie May 20, 2011 at 7:45 am

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i just found more blogs to follow. Thanks Heather! :o )

Salah (My Healthiest Lifestyle) May 20, 2011 at 9:39 am

Those oats look sooo good! I think I’ll make that with my quinoa flakes! Thanks for sharing those!

Lea @ Healthy Coconut May 20, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Your pictures are so crisp and clear, looks so good. What kind of camera are you using now? I know that your previous one broke so I’m assuming it has been replaced?

HEAB May 20, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Lea,
Yes, thanks for noticing. Working on my photography skills. CD bought me a used Canon Rebel XS from Amazon. It was my Mother’s Day gift. I love it!