From Soda to Sangria

by HEAB on May 23, 2011

Remember all that Zevia soda I didn’t really like?

I recycled the cans…

With an industrial pair of scissors, I cut all the tops off and cut each can into strips (definitely not a craft project for the kiddos).

I curled the strips and secured the ends of the inner strips with a hot glue gun. In each can, I then glued a thumbtack to hold a tea light candle.

I now have a really cool set of outdoor patio lights. I may not have liked the soda, but I love my new Zevia cans…

.IMG_5950.JPG

I’m picturing an intimate outdoor dinner party with pitchers of sangria and tapas.

Now, I just need to learn to like sangria…and purchase some patio furniture. ;)

Lauren May 23, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Those are so cute and creative! I love them!!

CB May 23, 2011 at 2:58 pm

…and make some tapas…and invite me over.. ;-)

robyn jones clark May 23, 2011 at 2:59 pm

i love them!! :) i like the grape zevia.. i just had some today. I like the orange too.. they just cost so dang much!!

The Healthy Hipster May 23, 2011 at 3:08 pm

DIY Candle Holders! I love it! And as for tapas…You’ve given me a crazing now! I used to live in spain and nothing hits the spot quite like a plate of spicy grilled sardines. Sounds strange, but tastes delicious!

The Healthy Hipster May 23, 2011 at 3:11 pm

okay i may have just invented a word there by accident…a freudian typo. “crazing” = CRAZY CRAVING. i think it could catch on in the blogosphere, don’t you? ;)

HEAB May 23, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Healthy Hipster.
“Crazing” – much better than amazeballs and awesomesauce. ;)

Victoria (Disitrict Chocoholic) May 23, 2011 at 3:14 pm

This is just about the cutest thing ever. You’re so creative!

R @ Learning As I Chop May 23, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Zevia is the only diet soda I drink but I too am starting to find myself less interested. It’s a good alternative though

Holly @ The Runny Egg May 23, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Heather these are so cute!

Holly @ The Runny Egg May 23, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Ok most of my comment disappeared!

If you have more cans maybe you could build the patio furniture too?

HEAB May 23, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Holly,
Too funny – another commenter said that her boyfriend actually did that in college. They used cases of beer as patio furniture. Now, I just need more Zevia samples. :)

Amanda May 23, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Love them! what a cute idea! And you know how much I love recycling things! : )

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing May 23, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Heart! Love it.

jen @ taste life May 23, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Listen, I’ll drink the sangria for you. And I’ll even sit on the patio, sans furniture.

HEAB May 23, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Jen,
Deal, although we have plenty of chairs-in-a-bag on hand. :)

Samantha May 23, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Those are too cute! I tried the lemon lime zevia yesterday, it wasn’t bad. I would drink it more but it didn’t have caffeine, which is in part the reason I drink diet soda on occasion.

I’ve been eyeing this sangria recipe but we never go out, entertain, etc. http://www.oprah.com/food/White-Wine-Sangria-with-Summer-Peaches-Strawberries-Oranges-and-Lemons

HEAB May 23, 2011 at 7:36 pm

Samantha,
Just so you know, I fully support your caffeine addiction. :)

janetha @ meals & moves May 23, 2011 at 3:32 pm

This is brilliant! The Zevia cans are much better on the outside than what’s on the inside (I am not a fan, either). Good handywork!

Ana May 23, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Very creative!!
Oh, and about the “glow” from the other post… tell me about that, I also can’t seem to go away from the orange veggies/fruits! I just love them so much. I eat plenty of sweet potatoes, winter squashes, and now in the warmer weather lots of spinach and bell peppers. Needless to say my hands also gets kinda orange from time to time. Lately I have been eating papayas for breakfast, I love papayas and even though the ones I get here are not like the ones I get in Brazil they are still good. Gotta love the orange fruits and veggies!

Lori Ghany May 23, 2011 at 3:34 pm

You are too funny Heather :) and also very crafty. I just want you to know you really inspire me with your life and your choices. You are one of my favorite blogs to follow and read. I am still struggling with the choices I make in life but I think it is getting a little easier these days. I have lost tons of weight [from a 16 to an 8 now] and try not to obsess. I get my exercise in too and look forward to it daily. My advice to friends is that everyone must do what works for them. Love Ya,
Lori in NY

HEAB May 23, 2011 at 7:35 pm

Hi Lori in NY,
What a nice comment – thank you, and I am so happy to hear that my blog has helped you. We all struggle at times – in fact, it would be kind of weird if you didn’t. Hang in there – you have come so far. It’s hard not to obsess, but sounds like you have learned to listen to your body – now you just have to trust it. :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) May 23, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Omg you are sooooo creative!

You’re Suzy Homemaker + Mother of the Year + Crafter Extrodinarire! And I need to take some lessons from you!

I loveeeee what you did with those Zevia cans. I have a Pinterest account but don’t do a thing with it. Yet. But for some reason I think your craft project belongs on there..or in an Etsy shop to sell!

I think your next job just manifested itself! :)

Liking sangria? I could stop by and help you with that :)

HEAB May 23, 2011 at 7:33 pm

Averie,
I love love LOVE Pinterest – great photo inspiration. :)

Susie May 23, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Super cute idea!! I love sitting outdoors! But, I have yet to kick my soda habit :(

Felicia (Natural + Balanced) May 23, 2011 at 3:49 pm

how creative!

Stefanie May 23, 2011 at 3:57 pm

That is a cute idea. I can see you and Summer having fun with crafts when she gets older.

HEAB May 23, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Stefanie,
I know – I can’t wait. :)

s May 23, 2011 at 3:57 pm

haha nifty :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) May 23, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Cute! I love reusing stuff! Get that patio furniture…I’m coming your way!

HEAB May 23, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Sarena,
We have plenty of chairs-in-a-bag, and the butter and oats are stocked! :)

The Teenage Taste May 23, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Those candle holders are so cute! I will definitely be making them soon! They’d also make a great gift I bet. :-)

Karina May 23, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Very cool idea!

meghan @ struggle muffins May 23, 2011 at 4:07 pm

You’re the cutest and craftiest EVER -I love the oh-so-resourceful patio lights :)

Katie May 23, 2011 at 4:08 pm

HOW can you not like sangria?!?!

HEAB May 23, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Katie,
I know…I don’t like wine. I keep trying it, but nope, doesn’t do anything for me. :(

Eleanor@eatinglikeahorse May 23, 2011 at 4:19 pm

They’re gorgeous – so creative! And having babysat my nine-month-old goddaughter last week, I know how little time you get so even more respect :-)

Michelle @ A Voracious Appetite May 23, 2011 at 4:21 pm

I love this idea. It’s a great way to recycle the colorful cans :-)

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} May 23, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Well aren’t you resourceful?! Very cute idea.

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free May 23, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Wow, so creative! You are really getting into the crafts lately: patio lights, homemade earrings, pictures for Summer’s wall!!!

HEAB May 23, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Alex,
I know. I spend way too much time on Pinterest. ;)

tea-bag May 23, 2011 at 4:39 pm

what a great idea! i wonder if they’d float? they’d be beautiful floating centerpieces!

HEAB May 23, 2011 at 7:29 pm

Tea-bag, that would be really cool – In glass square vases or a swimming pool.

Eden May 23, 2011 at 4:48 pm

creative, yes. But given my infamous diet soda addiction, it would be like an alcoholic making a chandelier with vodka bottles. ;)

Kristina @ spabettie May 23, 2011 at 4:58 pm

Heather you are so creative!! these look great, now I’m trying to think of something in a CAN I can drink to make these… ;)

Jason was in bands all through college, and there was much beer drinking… they made an entire patio set (a couch, chairs and table) with the recycled beer cans put back into the boxes… :D there’s your new patio set!!

HEAB May 23, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Kristina,
That is great…think the Zevia folks would send me enough samples for Operation Patio Furniture? ;)

Kristina @ spabettie May 23, 2011 at 8:13 pm

hey, if their name is on it?? they just might… ;)

kelsey May 23, 2011 at 5:14 pm

super cute!! :] this is really similar to a project i did my first year of architecture school, too!

Kelly May 23, 2011 at 5:19 pm

What a creative idea!

kate May 23, 2011 at 5:21 pm

you are brilliant these are soo adorable!

Courtney May 23, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Those are AWESOME! I could imagine they would be really neat wall decorations (obviously sans candles), too! :D

Emily May 23, 2011 at 6:48 pm

I actually had a rootbeer Zevia earlier today. I know you’re not a fan but I enjoy them as an occasional treat! And those candle holders are so creative, I love them!

clairerose C May 23, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Brilliant,Heather:-)cc

melissa @ the delicate place May 23, 2011 at 7:18 pm

i’m not into sangria either too sweet but give me a spicy Cabernet sav. and i’m good to go!

Alaina May 23, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Those tea light holders are so cute!! I would gladly come over for some sangria. :-)

Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) May 23, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Amazing! You are so crafty lady, I’m totally jealous! Love them :)

xo

S @ extremebalance.net/blog May 23, 2011 at 8:10 pm

You’re about 2 dinner parties away from being Martha Stewart! Very cute. :) And Sangria’s overrated—just have a margarita if you want something seasonal…

the LIttle Ballerina May 23, 2011 at 8:11 pm

these are awesome :)
wahoo!

Jess@atasteofconfidence May 23, 2011 at 8:26 pm

Those are so cute- you are so crafty!

Alisa Fleming May 23, 2011 at 8:51 pm

I’m in awe of your creativity. You are my new crafty idol. Maybe light coronas instead? Still a Mexican theme.

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner May 23, 2011 at 9:01 pm

YOU ARE SO SMART!!!!!! :)

Annie@stronghealthyfit May 23, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Cute idea! How can you not like sangria?? I don’t usually like it when I have it in a restaurant, but homemade sangria (w/out all the extra added sugar/syrup/whatever is in it) is awesome :-)

HEAB May 23, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Annie,
I don’t like wine. I try and try and try, but I just can’t do it. :(

McKayla @ Green Groats May 23, 2011 at 9:07 pm

I love these. I so want to make some. Thanks for sharing!!!

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli May 23, 2011 at 9:13 pm

How cute! I really need some patio furniture too but I’m not sure what to get and I just know myself too well…I’ll pick out a set and then see another one that makes me regret my purchase and pout about it for weeks! :(

Pure2raw twins May 23, 2011 at 9:13 pm

what a great idea…way to go with reducing, reusing and recycling, haha love saying that for some reason

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) May 23, 2011 at 10:04 pm

I can’t say whether or not I like sangria- I haven’t had one in forever. I see it as a dumpster for the bad wine that you wouldn’t touch solo. So I shy away. Clever you though for making the tea light holders!

Casey Thomas May 23, 2011 at 10:56 pm

Wow, how cool! You are so creative :)

Lenna May 24, 2011 at 2:11 am

It is such a cool way how to re-use soda cans! So creative :)

Marty May 24, 2011 at 3:58 am

Oh you’re so creative and funny! They’re beautiful! What – you don’t have patio furniture yet? How long have you been in your house?!

HEAB May 24, 2011 at 6:24 am

Marty,
We have been in our house over 4 years, and I have a very budget-minded husband…read CD IS CHEAP. He is fine with the one plastic chair left behind by the former owners and my collection of chairs-in-a-bag. Workin’ on him. ;)

Marty May 25, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Hmmmm, ok. How’bout feeding him oaties for a week, and what you save you can buy one chair at a time? Yard sales? There’s gotta be some way to eek out from the food budget for the furniture budget? It’s an old quilter trick – what change is left from grocery shopping goes in the fabric kitty! I’ll skimp and save anywhere!

ps. a Dr. Zuess quilt may finally be on the way! ;-)

HEAB May 25, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Marty,
I’ll work on it. I need to be better about checking Craigslist and going to yard sales. Thanks for the tips. :)

Mary May 24, 2011 at 5:10 am

Creative repurposing! I am fairly new follower, finding inspiration from your posts, yesterday found myself looking for ingredients you’ve posted about!

I am curious about backdrop of picture 4- are those quilts or chair covers? Any chance of bigger pics? I am a quilted and they look quite interesting, would love to see bigger area.

HEAB May 24, 2011 at 6:21 am

Mary,
They are pillows I purchased from Pier 1 a few years ago. Would you like me to take pics just of just the pillows and email you the large files? If so, just let me know. Be happy to do it! :)
P.S. Glad you found me – thanks for reading.

megan @ the oatmeal diaries May 24, 2011 at 6:20 am

You are a genius! I am seriously SO impressed right now!! They’re beautiful :)

cookiepie May 24, 2011 at 7:34 am

What a fabulous idea! Kind of like when life gives you lemons and you make lemonade… :)

Riss May 24, 2011 at 7:56 am

Ooooo. I love that idea! Throw some burgers on the grill, make some guacamole… then send me an invite! =)

Errign May 24, 2011 at 8:46 am

Those are adorbs!

And not liking sangria? I don’t understand what you are saying…. ;)

HEAB May 24, 2011 at 8:50 am

Errign,
I wish I liked it, but I’m not a fan of wine. I keep trying in hopes that I’ll develop a taste for it. Wine and sushi – my taste buds say no to both.

Steph @ StephSnacks May 24, 2011 at 8:55 am

These are seriously cool! I really didn’t mind Zevia that much, it’s got an odd sort of bitter taste but for the most part, it’s okay.

Katherine: Unemployed May 24, 2011 at 10:59 am

I didn’t like Zevia and emailed them with little customer service. Wish I had thought of this!!! great idea

Erica May 24, 2011 at 1:59 pm

You’re so creative! I am art special and wouldn’t be able to get these to stay together ;) We need new patio furniture too- ours is falling to pieces. Hope you’re having a great day

Natalie @ cinnamon bums May 24, 2011 at 3:21 pm

i love this! so crafty and colorful =)

Cate May 24, 2011 at 3:31 pm

That is way cool!

Kath (My Funny Little Life) May 24, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Very cool idea! :D I love when people get creative! Oh, and I don’t like sangria, too. Red wine = headache. Sweet red wine = super headache. Sweet red wine sipped through a straw … I don’t want to know. ;)

Paulina (One Smile Ahead) May 24, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Oh such a creative idea! And they look so cute! :]

AmyJoGo May 26, 2011 at 6:44 am

I think we are long lost sisters. We each love Colorado (Woodland Park!), don’t like wine (I also keep trying it and it fails every time) and don’t enjoy sushi (love rice, love the veggies, not the fish. And if I’m gonna eat a rice and veg meal, take me to a Japanese grill where I can load up instead of feeding me the equivalent of 6 tablespoons of rice and 3 of veg!). LOL
Love the tealight holders!
Another idea for patio furniture. My Mom picked out a set that she loved but we couldn’t afford it all at once. So we bought it for her piece by piece forspecial occassions. Canopy covered swing for mother’s day, chaise lounge for her birthday, table and chairs for wedding anniversary. Until she had a complete set. And its quality stuff that has lasted for years now. CD seems savvy and generous so drop some heavy hints about what you’d like.

HEAB May 26, 2011 at 7:29 am

Amy,
We are totally kindred spirits. Honestly, sushi is the only food I do not like on the whole planet. Well, it’s the seaweed. Got this sample of dried seaweed chips yesterday and took a big bite hoping I would like it. Oh my gosh, ran to sink, spit it out, and washed my mouth out with a biscotti. Hehe – first thing I could grab. ;)

Good idea on the patio furniture. CD’s parents told us to buy the good stuff. They’ve had their set for over 10 years. Expensive, but it lasts and so comfy! Will start dropping hints of what I like. ;)

Lauren May 26, 2011 at 8:12 pm

So cute, Heather! Ok, and didn’t know you changed your site design-looks so pretty!!

shreddingpounds June 3, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Now that’s a really cool use of some old cans. Very nice.