Darn Thunder

by HEAB on May 24, 2011

We had a horrible thunderstorm at 4:30 this morning, and I’ve been up ever since. Things started out innocently enough. All I did was open up a bag of millet, and now I’m in the depths of kitchen reorganization hell…

Most random kitchen drawer discovery thus far…

Because who doesn’t enjoy a good game of checkers, backgammon, or chess while making dinner?

I’ll be back tomorrow with a tasty meal and hopefully a clean and organized kitchen!

Before I go, there are winners to be announced.

The TAZO Tea gift set goes to…

Screen shot 2011-05-24 at 3.16.40 PM.png

And the winner of Baby Led Weaning is…

Screen shot 2011-05-24 at 3.19.02 PM.png

Congrats to Claire and Sarah. I will be emailing you both soon. My kitchen awaits….

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} May 24, 2011 at 3:30 pm

The same thing happened to me the other night. Although I wasn’t as productive as you were in the wee hours of the morning. Instead, I just stayed in bed and cursed the thunder. :-)

Holly @ The Runny Egg May 24, 2011 at 3:51 pm

I find storms soothing actually — it is kind of nice to go lay by Jason during the storm and when I still lived at home I loved to go crawl in with one my sisters. When I lived alone? I hated storms.

Kelly May 24, 2011 at 3:51 pm

I hate it when that happens!! I clean one thing or open one drawer and all hell breaks lose! Have fun….

The Teenage Taste May 24, 2011 at 3:54 pm

UGH! I hate organizing my stuff. I love the results, but just not the act of organizing. It’s too much work! :-P
Hope everything is in it’s place soon. Your kitchen is nowhere near as messy as mine! ;-)

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing May 24, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Looks like you’re still in the 7th circle of reorganization hell. Hopefully you can find a way out soon! ;) I do the same thing. I try to put something away, and all of a sudden I find myself in complete and utter chaos, doing deep purges of everything I own. Well, at least you have a nice game to play when/if you take a break! ;)

Samantha May 24, 2011 at 3:58 pm

This looks SO familiar…I did it a few months ago after Kath posted her Home Neat Home post on kitchen organization. I’m proud to say it worked and my kitchen is still clutter free (mostly, we have a teeny kitchen) and everything is easily accessible. We’ll do it all again in a month come move time.

Hope you get some down time today as a result of your early morning wakeup and work call!

HEAB May 24, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Samantha,
I wish Kath could come over and organize my kitchen. It could use the KERF touch. :)

Samantha May 24, 2011 at 10:31 pm

My whole house could! I’m determined to get rid of at least 50% of the ‘stuff’ we have before our house is packed out in a month. Just too much. I would love for my home to look like a page out of anthropologie!

tea-bag May 24, 2011 at 4:18 pm

oh, okay, i’ve been studying too long & not thinking straight! i couldn’t figure out how a thunder storm threw everything around your kitchen. i kept thinking it was like a thunderstorm/tornado! i read the comments above & realized that the thunderstorm woke you up & you’ve been reorganizing ever since! got it! :)
did the noise bother Summer?

HEAB May 24, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Tea-Bag,
Nope, she sleeps right through every single storm – thank goodness. Wish our dogs did!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat May 24, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Thanks again Heather!

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free May 24, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Haha…I just brought all of my dishes and cooking utensils from our home in the midwest (which we are selling) and now I have a bunch of dishes and cooking gadgets that I don’t know where to put them!!! waffle irons, peelers, ice cream scoopers, dishes, creme brulee maker…

Katie May 24, 2011 at 4:24 pm

We’ve been having crazy thunderstorms on and off since about 3am, too! Makes for a restless night. Also, want to come organize my kitchen drawers?? I’ll have almond butter for you… ;-)

HEAB May 24, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Katie,
Yes, be there tomorrow. :)

Chloe (South Beach Girl) May 24, 2011 at 4:25 pm

I love thunderstorms! Although I don’t know how much I would love them with a couple of dogs and a baby in the house ;)

Good luck with the spring cleaning!

susie May 24, 2011 at 4:32 pm

I am so jealous of all your counter space in your kitchen!!
We have a gulley time kitchen and no room for the hubby and I

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) May 24, 2011 at 5:01 pm

UGH, the cleaning out…I can’t take it anymore! Sorry about the storm. That stinks. I hope you get some rest tonight.

Congrats to the lucky ladies.

kate May 24, 2011 at 5:15 pm

I hate cleaning things out but I love the sense of accomplishment when I finish… I loveee thunderstorms im hoping for one right now!

Caroline @ Out of Liney May 24, 2011 at 5:45 pm

Kudos for cleaning your kitchen! At least the backgammon board is more entertaining than the tens of stray keys that flood my junk drawer :)

HEAB May 24, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Caroline,
Oh gosh, we have those too. No idea what most of them unlock.

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) May 24, 2011 at 5:57 pm

Once you start w/ a cleaning or re organizational project, it’s just better to do it ALL and get it all done, and do an A+ job on it rather than a B job on it..b/c that way it’ll be done, the right way, and you dont have to go back and re-do it or wish you had just done such and such. Trust me, I know :) And clearly, you’re in the depths of it…good. It will all be over, soon.

Congrats to the winners!

Enjoy your evening and your soon to be awesomely re-org’ed kitchen!

Pure2raw twins May 24, 2011 at 6:33 pm

I hate organizing…because I am horrible at it. Hope your day went well in the kitchen!!

Katy (The Singing Runner) May 24, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Haha! I love those magnetic games! I haven’t seen them in years!

HEAB May 24, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Katy,
Yeah, I hadn’t seen them in years either…4 apparently b/c that’s how long ago we moved in our house. ;)

Kristen - Anywhere There's An Airport May 25, 2011 at 3:52 am

Ditto to the games! As soon as I saw that picture I had flashbacks of childhood road trips. Oh the simple days… before high def backseats :)

HEAB May 25, 2011 at 9:33 am

Kristen,
Auto Bingo was my personal fav. Played it every road trip with my brothers.

Tori (Fresh Fruition) May 24, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Hahaha, too funny about the random kitchen findings. I have tons of little nooks and crannies that have junk stored in them around the house. Every time I clean them out I find such weird stuff I didn’t remember I had!

Congrats to the winners! :D

Katherine May 24, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Congrats to the two!

Baking 'n' Books May 24, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Oh goodness..can you come and pack for me? I am not an organizational person…I throw it all in a box and then get mad later when I unpack ;)

What is up with the storms? I once lived in an apartment with big, wide open windows…uh, I defnitely slept UNDER the bed one night because I was convinced the lightening would electrocute me in my bed….

What? That’s normal right? :)

charlotte May 24, 2011 at 10:46 pm

This pretty much describes all of my house projects. They always start out innocently enough… and then my entire weekend is gone.

Lorne May 24, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Hell no, heaven YES :0), one of my therapeutic hobbies is to get into cupboards and work space management magic. I am so into it that it doesn’t even need to be my own cupboards! That is a bit sad, isn’t it…. lol

Lorne

HEAB May 25, 2011 at 9:31 am

Lorne,
You’re totally right – yesterday was so therapeutic. Should visit reorganization heaven more often. :)

Kim May 24, 2011 at 11:34 pm

Come here this weekend. We have no thunderstorms, however, 105 degrees, yes, that we do have. We (meaning Bella and I) are about to partake in our own re-organization hell, a.k.a toy hell. I have about 15 huge Rubbermaid containers full of toys, random crap thrown in them from Bella “cleaning” her toys up, and just stuff that needs to be purged. Purged only to make more room for future toys so we can do this all again in 6 months. We have almond butter, we have lots of fun non-wheat flours, and every piece of workout equipment know to man. We also have free babysitting @ our home gym :) So come join the fun! Bring the pups as well! Hope the t storms do let up. Nasty weather out your way!

HEAB May 25, 2011 at 9:30 am

Kim,
Booking Southwest flight right now. ;)

Haha, I wish! I was talking to a friend about toy accumulation the other day. Kind of scares me. I’m going to tell all relatives no toys please. Summer already has plenty for the time being. Would much rather get Michael’s gift cards so we can make stuff together or a membership to the botanical gardens or something – maybe the zoo.

Holley @ Lunges and Lashes May 24, 2011 at 11:53 pm

oh the random things you find in the cupboards… i have found a few randoms myself lately. ;)

Mimi (Gingersnaps) May 25, 2011 at 12:14 am

Home jobs are such traps. They drag you in!

Good luck with the kitchen makeover!

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods May 25, 2011 at 9:00 am

Good luck with the kitchen madness! There’s nothing more therapeutic (and satisfying) than a tidy kitchen!

Kate (Bread & Chocolate) May 25, 2011 at 9:09 am

I hope the weather has calmed down! We had thunderstorms the other night that made the whole house shake. Maybe it’s a sign that summer is coming. Thought you might like this light snack idea – pesto popcorn. Enjoy!

Beth May 25, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Those storms had us up early yesterday too. They were crazy!

Heather May 25, 2011 at 4:06 pm

That picture totally cracked me up because that looks like the same thing I’ve done many times. I make such a mess before it shapes up to something wonderful and neat, at least for a few minutes.

Marty May 25, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Darn thunder? I’d say blessed Thunder! Excellent reason to organize! Beautiful kitchen! Doesn’t it make you feel better when it’s all done though?

Had the plumbers here yesterday for 3.5 hours – and my basement floor now needs cleaning – not exactly what I wanted to do?! It needed it (slightly), but now really does!

Bless be thankful no tornadoes! xo m

HEAB May 25, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Marty,
Yes, yesterday’s project was totally therapeutic. Not quite done, but almost. Need to gut and organize more often, and yes, very thankful for no tornadoes. Been a devastating tornado season this year in certain parts of the country. So sad! :(

Paige @ Running Around Normal May 25, 2011 at 8:51 pm

That same thunderstorm hit here at 5! It was crazy thunder and lightening! Luckily, my alarm went off at 5, too :)