Cilantro Solutions

by HEAB on May 30, 2011

So, amazingly enough, my basil and cilantro are thriving, especially the cilantro. Therefore, I’m tossing it in and on everything. After last week’s kitchen reorganization, I decided it was time to try new recipes with some of the dry goods in our cabinet. Dry goods + cilantro = endless possibilities.

Inspired by this recipe for red beans & rice, I made the following bowl of deliciousness…well actually, the recipe made about 4 bowls. Such an inexpensive and easy meal and the best beans I’ve ever made. Truth be told, I’ve only attempted beans from scratch a few times, but they never turned out very flavorful. Also, I don’t think I cooked them long enough in the past. If you like beans, you must try this as I cannot wait to make it again!

Another recipe I tried this week was Miranda’s Chipotle Lime Salmon Burgers. While scanning the recipe, I thought, Hey, I have all these ingredients, and the recipe calls for cilantro. Perfect. Then, I go to make it and realize I don’t have a third of what I need. So, I improvised, and the salmon burgers still turned out delicious, except mine were made with tuna. ;)

Chili Lime Tuna Burgers

Cilantro lover or hater?

Laura @ LauraLikesDesign May 30, 2011 at 8:54 pm

I just love cilantro–it makes everything taste so fresh. I like putting it in soups, sandwiches, and salads.

Necia May 30, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Lover. Wakes boring food up. It also add an extra punch in green juice

kalli May 30, 2011 at 9:14 pm

i have mixed feelings about cilantro. i used to hate it but now i like it. sometimes i am not in the mood though. now basil-that goes with everything! love the new look of the blog heather :)

HEAB May 31, 2011 at 8:45 am

Thanks Kalli. I do too – also love basil. Hands down, my favorite herb!

kate May 30, 2011 at 9:14 pm

I lovee cilantro these recipes look delicious!

Chad @ thebreakupnote May 30, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Beans can be tricky – this looks like a realllly good recipe. (both of them)

Jess May 30, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Cilantro makes me happy : )

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) May 30, 2011 at 9:27 pm

LOVER! Tony and Max told me I have a heavy hand with it. I was shocked! They both like it, but they apparently don’t love it like I love it!

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) May 30, 2011 at 9:30 pm

I DIG cilantro and think it adds SUCH flavor to everything. My mother on the other hand hates it!! and claims it triggers her migraine headaches. Which hey, food is very powerful and I dont doubt. But I think gluten and dairy triggers them too, but that’s another topic :)

The topic for you is that the salmon-turned-tuna burgers look delish! Chili, lime, cilantro….oh yes!

And making beans from scratch…I never do it either. Why? I dunno…fear of them not turning out well and I put all that time/energy into them? I need to do the soak + 8 hrs in the C.P. method.

It’s 90F in Aruba and probably really hot in San Diego too…but when it’s fall-ish and 8 hrs of a hottish appliance running sounds good, I will be making that!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty May 30, 2011 at 9:49 pm

These do sound so good!! And your new blog look is GORGEOUS! I love it!

Katherine May 30, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Cilantro LOVER!!!

Christin@purplebirdblog May 30, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Huuuuuuuuuuuge cilantro fan! Love that fresh flavor! And speaking of fresh flavor… ummmm your new header is wicked cool!!! :)

GiGi May 30, 2011 at 10:40 pm
HEAB May 31, 2011 at 8:37 am

Gigi,
Yeah!!!! I will. :)

Katie May 30, 2011 at 10:56 pm

Cilantro is my favorite herb, hands down. I have been growing it every summer and it just goes in everything! I made some turkey burgers last summer with cilantro and lime, and they were awesome, so I can only imagine these are just as good. And I bet they would be great with the guac I just made…

HEAB May 31, 2011 at 8:37 am

Katie,
I’m sure it would. Bring some over for dinner tonight. K?

Hannah May 30, 2011 at 11:24 pm

This looks magnificent! I, too, stopped cooking beans from scratch after several flavourless chickpea attempts, but lately they’ve been coming up okay. Will definitely try this – easy is my middle name!

Wait, that came out wrong…

HEAB May 31, 2011 at 8:36 am

Hannah,
Hehe. ;)

courtney May 31, 2011 at 12:30 am

Hate to say it, but I’m a hater… learning to love cilantro though, through multiple Chipotle exposures. I am willing to make sacrifices in the name of all things green and herby.

HEAB May 31, 2011 at 8:36 am

Courtney,
You’re a trooper. :)

Elisa May 31, 2011 at 1:10 am

Definitely a big big cilantro lover :) It was only about 4 years ago, when I got really into cooking shows, that I heard somebody utter the words “I hate cilantro”. It was such a shock to me because I honestly couldn’t imagine a person not liking it. Then again, I have a big soft spot for it because my grandma puts it on EVERYTHING, and has ever since I can remember. So I guess I just have a lot of happy memories associated with cilantro. Funny how that works.
I’ll have to try that bean recipe–it looks delicious!

Casey Lorraine May 31, 2011 at 1:53 am

Mmmm cilantro is definitely a favorite of mine! We call it coriander down here ;)

Love your new blog look Heather. The designer got your brief exactly in my view!!

I made a raw green curry soup this past weekend with heaps of cilantro. So good :)

HEAB May 31, 2011 at 8:35 am

Thanks Casey, I love it too. :)

Kristen - Anywhere There's An Airport May 31, 2011 at 2:39 am

I absolutely LOVE cilantro! It is perhaps the sole reason why I love salsa and guac so much. That’s a lie. It’s the chip dipping that I love.

Red beans and rice is a family favorite! My father’s family is from Louisiana and my mother makes my grandmother’s version with andouille sausage. It’s a family favorite! If you get on a red beans and rice kick, let me know and I’ll get the recipe for you!

HEAB May 31, 2011 at 8:33 am

Kristen,
I am on a kick. :)

MilesMusclesMom May 31, 2011 at 4:05 am

LOVE cilantro!! I have a couple growning in the garden so will def bookmark these two recipes :D
I have the same issue with making my own beans from dried~they always are on the bland side

HEAB May 31, 2011 at 8:32 am

MilesMusclesMom,
The soy sauce was key. I fear using it as I’m always afraid my dishes will come out too salty, but these beans were perfect. I also added a few dashes of wing sauce which I forgot to include in recipe. Will go back and edit now. So yummy!

Sherilyn @ Wholepromise May 31, 2011 at 4:52 am

Love your use of cilantro. It is one of my most favourite herbs. We call it coriander in Australia which is no where near as sophisticated sounding as Cilantro. Looking forward to trying these tasty bites.

The Teenage Taste May 31, 2011 at 5:58 am

LOVE cilantro! I grow it too and put it on everything! I am definitely going to give the beans a try! They look delicious. Plus I can never turn down an easy, cheap, and healthy meal! :-)

Riss May 31, 2011 at 6:08 am

Mmmmm beans and rice is one of my favorite meals! Any beans! And any rice! I just recently (as in the last year) started like cilantro… and I’m becoming braver and braver using it!

polly May 31, 2011 at 6:16 am

HEAB lover.

Cilantro?

um……… no comment. :)

Jenn June 1, 2011 at 1:57 pm

A definite NO for you, Pol!

Baking 'n' Books May 31, 2011 at 6:35 am

I’ve heard Red beans are good with rice. They’re a smaller bean right? Ditto to the Cakes!. They look heavenly. Will have to try someday when I get my stomach back on track. I think I’ve had some sort of food poisoning and am not sure how to get back to “normal”. Erp.

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free May 31, 2011 at 6:35 am

I love all herbs, but cilantro has a special place in my heart (or should I say my tummy?). It is so darn delicious and fresh.

But no what tastes wonderful in salmon patties? Dill. Try it.

HEAB May 31, 2011 at 8:30 am

Alex,
Yes, I love dill with salmon…but I don’t have any growing in my backyard. :( Need to fix that!

Meghan @ StruggleMuffins May 31, 2011 at 6:36 am

Holy smokes you changed your blog! (Clearly I’m not so quick on the uptake) I love it, so clean and fresh! Much like Cilantro, which I also love :)

Shauna May 31, 2011 at 7:37 am

Lover! I grow most of my own herbs every summer, but cilantro always blooms right away when I try it. At least it’s cheap to buy at the grocery. One of my favorites is to make a rice vinegar thai style dressing for a cabbage slaw with red bell peppers, some almonds, shrimp and lots of cilantro.

HEAB May 31, 2011 at 8:29 am

Shauna,
Oooh, I would love that! What’s your exact recipe if you don’t mind sharing?

Ana May 31, 2011 at 7:53 am

I used to be a complete hater of cilantro but lately I have been trying more foods with it and I like in very small amounts, and only in certain dishes. It definitely goes well with mexican flavors, and paired with lime it is good too.
I bought a salad mix once at TJ’s (I think it was called “herb salad” or something like that) which had cilantro leaves mixed in with the greens. I didn’t realize there was cilantro in there until I started eating it, and to my surprise it wasn’t that bad. However I wasn’t a fan of it the next day when I had the rest of the salad mix. I definitely need to go sloooow with cilantro, hehe!
I prefer parsley and basil! I also have my parsley. basil, oregano, mint, and thyme planted on vases on my deck! The only thing is that I barely give them a chance to grow, I keep getting parsley and basil every day, I too love fresh herbs on my food, makes everything so flavorful and fresh!

HEAB May 31, 2011 at 8:27 am

Ana,
I’ve heard that you have to keep picking the leaves to keep your herb plants alive. So, pick away. Basil is definitely my favorite! :)

Ana May 31, 2011 at 8:33 am

Yes, the more you pick the more they grow and the prettier the leaves look too!
Basil is my favorite too!

Annalisa May 31, 2011 at 7:57 am

hi heather! love the new direction and design!

quick tip — you can cook beans in the crockpot. it uses less energy and is one of those no-need-to-watch deals. i cook a bag from time to time and freeze portions in baggies to use like cans.

HEAB May 31, 2011 at 8:26 am

Annalisa,
Yep, that was a crock-pot bean recipe, and they turned out perfect. Love my crock-pot! :)

Annalisa June 1, 2011 at 7:20 am

oops! i have a 2 week old baby and have been doing lots of skim reading :-)

HEAB June 1, 2011 at 8:18 am

No worries. Trust me, I get it. :)
Hugs to you and your new little one Annalisa. I hope everything is going well!

Meagan May 31, 2011 at 8:13 am

I always love the look and smell of beans like that. And then I eat them and I don’t like them anymore. HAHA :)

Kate (Bread & Chocolate) May 31, 2011 at 8:18 am

I’m a cilantro lover. Also a lover of your blog header – the colors are subtle and soothing. So summery! Much to my amazement, my container garden is still growing, so I thought I’d share two simple peach side dishes. Enjoy!

Nikki May 31, 2011 at 8:37 am

Congrats on herb success so far! Your recipes look so yummy!

Cilantro = love!

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate May 31, 2011 at 8:48 am

I like cilantro, but its definitely not my favorite herb. I prefer basil or thyme.

ch May 31, 2011 at 9:41 am

I used to be an intense cilantro hater, but I must confess, I kinda like it now! But I like basil even more. Basil is far and away my favorite herb. I literally cannot think of a single dish that basil does not improve!

A Tablespoon Of Liz May 31, 2011 at 10:55 am

Cilantro is defiantly one of my favorite herbs! Those beans look aahhh-mazing!

Clare @ Fitting It All in May 31, 2011 at 11:17 am

LOVE cilantro. Those burgers look perfect!
I feel so awful for those people that absolutely hate cilantro..they are missing out!

Alyssa May 31, 2011 at 11:19 am

Yum!!!! LOVE cilantro!
I remember reading (on The Great Fitness Experiment) that there’s a genetic thing with cilantro and pine nuts that makes the taste intolerable to some people. It makes cilantro taste like soap, and pine nuts give a metallic taste in the mouth that can last for weeks.
Luckily, I’m not one of those folks, lol!

Amanda Jewell @ Science&Bananas May 31, 2011 at 11:31 am

Hater unfortunately! I could eat any vegetable, grain, or fruit you put in front of me, but give me some cilantro, parsley, or ginger (except in baked goods) and I’m out of there! Basil, rosemary, and fennel on the other hand… OBSESSED! :-)
Diggin the new layout btw too! It looks snazzyyyy

Emily Elizabeth @ Kisses for Breakfast May 31, 2011 at 11:37 am

I love cilantro! Good for you for being able to get it to thrive. I tried growing it once and it didn’t do so well. :-/ I love making cilantro pesto and putting it over black bean pasta with broccoli. It’s a very tasty way to use up lots of good cilantro!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat May 31, 2011 at 12:01 pm

I’m learning to like cilantro… I choose to avoid it when I can but love Mexican food so much that I can deal with when it’s in something!

Liz @ IHeartVegetables May 31, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Yum!! I love Cilantro! I’m growing some in my garden, but I don’t have much yet. I’m hoping it flourishes, because I could totally put cilantro in basically anything!!

Eden May 31, 2011 at 2:08 pm

I got so excited when I saw my name, but then I was all “Wait…did I even do a mustard recipe???” and then it all fell into place.

It is a good mustard though, so I’m glad they are using my name. Then again, I’ve never met a mustard I didn’t like. Even the cheapo, neon ones.

wow, I forgot what I was originally gonna comment on! I think it was about how I love beans but its a shame they make you fart or something inappropriate like that.

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn May 31, 2011 at 4:38 pm

These burgers sound so gooooddd! I can’t wait to try them! Slash I am in LOVE with the new blog look, it looks fantastic!

maria @ Chasing the Now May 31, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Definitely LOVE cilantro. Can’t understand people who don’t like it. What’s there to hate?

Alaina May 31, 2011 at 6:52 pm

I love cilantro!! It’s the best with pork tacos. :-)

Kath (My Funny Little Life) May 31, 2011 at 7:48 pm

I’m a new cilantro lover – currently, I’m putting it on almost everything. :) I’ve learned that cilantro contains certain aldehydes that resemble (also taste-wise) those in soaps and bug shells, so this is why many people who aren’t used to it have such an aversion against it, and I used to be the same (it really tasted like soap to me, quite awful!), but I’m on a mission to unlearn that association by adding cilantro to dishes I like and thus conditioning the flavor with something nice. (Yeah, the good ol’ psychology tricks. ;) ) And – tadaah! – it really works! :D

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} May 31, 2011 at 8:24 pm

LOVER!! I adore cilantro. I need to grow some so I always have it on hand. I’m afraid to grow things, though…

Trisha May 31, 2011 at 9:33 pm

I love cilantro! I was just outside in our salsa garden admiring our cilantro. Can’t wait to use it all up!

Brookiej May 31, 2011 at 10:10 pm

LOVE it! The hubby isn’t much of a cilantro fan, but he’s coming around. I can’t wait to try these recipes out! They look absolutely delicious!

Ann Claire May 31, 2011 at 10:17 pm

Cilantro lover, for sure!! By the way, I love your new header!

Lana May 31, 2011 at 10:55 pm

Absolutely love everything about cilantro! I take deep breaths of it whenever I find some. I’ll put in on anything savory. Dang, I wish I had some now. Can’t wait to try your tuna burger recipe. I’ve been on a tuna/salmon burger kick lately, so this is right on time.

J.Flo May 31, 2011 at 11:22 pm

Lover! Love it in guac, salads, tacos, quinoa salads etc!

Miranda (Untamed Kitchen) June 1, 2011 at 3:31 pm

I was out of town all weekend until yesterday, so I’m just catching up on HEAB posts. My salmon burgers were so yummy…I’ll have to try your rendition now too! Any excuse to eat more cilantro…I might just be cilantro’s biggest fan!

Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble June 1, 2011 at 4:53 pm

My garden is thriving as well! This looks like a great use for all the herbs I have growing outside!

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli June 1, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Mmm, that red beans and rice looks great! I have a tough time cooking dried beans for the right amount of time. I’m so scared that I’m going to OVERcook them that most of the time, they end up a bit crunchier than they’re supposed to!

I used to HATE the taste of cilantro! If I went to a Mexican restaurant, I wouldn’t touch the salsa if it had some in it! Now I love it and add it to just about everything! Have you ever tried cilantro pesto? It’s amazing on beans!

Cilantro Lover June 1, 2011 at 11:39 pm

I think my name says it all. I’m also a major Chipotle burrito bowl lover. And by lover I mean addict.

Julie June 3, 2011 at 9:36 am

I LOVE cilantro but have tried to grow it many many times with no luck. It always bolts immediately – like within a week’s time. How do you keep it from bolting to seed? What’s your secret?

HEAB June 3, 2011 at 10:09 am

Julie,
The nursery I bought it from had a nice little plant going already and potted it for me. So, all I’ve done is water it once or twice a day, and I eat it often, like everyday. The gardner told that was key with any herb. Pick from it often, so that it will keep producing. No problem so far – I eat cilantro and basil on everything now!

Gina (Yogattude) June 3, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Cilantro always looks so pretty in food photos!

Julie June 6, 2011 at 7:57 pm

If you ever get to Oregon, look for a Cafe Yumm! (www.cafeyumm.com). The Yumm! Bowls kind of remind me of your first recipe — delicious, especially with cilantro. I keep a bottle of Yumm! sauce on hand at all times. Amazing stuff.

HEAB June 6, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Julie,
I heard of this place, and even made a version of the Yumm Sauce. It was tasty: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2011/04/19/a-colorful-afternoon/. Someday I will try the real stuff! :)

Julie June 6, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Oh, wow… I love you even more. I am SO going to make this.

Shauna June 7, 2011 at 12:13 pm

This is about basil, not cilantro, but I found a really yummy recipe in “creative summer salads” on fitango.com for a portabella mushroom and basil salad. Loved it. I wish I had the time to grow my own herb garden.

{ 3 trackbacks }