Life These Days

by HEAB on June 6, 2011

What have I been up to? Well, besides hanging out with CD and Summer…

I’ve been spending lots of time trying to figure out my new photo editing software. Adobe sent me Photoshop Elements. Honestly, I have NO IDEA what I am doing, but I’m having so much fun learning how to edit photos. (Disclosure: I received Photoshop Elements for free, and I was not reimbursed financially to review the product.)

Screen shot 2011-06-04 at 8.51.34 PM.png

Notice a difference? The photo on the left was edited in iPhoto, and the one on the right was edited using Photoshop Elements.

The program is fairly user friendly, but there is so much to learn. Alas, if only my body didn’t require sleep as I think I could stay up all night reading about and watching video tutorials on photography and photo editing. To any photographers out there, please don’t hesitate to share your tips with me – I need them, as I someday hope to take beautiful photos just like these ladies.

What else?

RockPigeon.psd

I’ve been Rockin’ The Pigeon and doing more yoga. Yesterday, my friend Jill and I met up for yoga and yogurt. We took a restorative class at Steadfast & True Yoga. Lots of shoulder openers which I totally needed, and the studio itself is so beautiful. I want to live there.

YogaStudioSun.psd

I love exposed brick walls and warm sunbeams on the floor.

And Sweet Cece’s on a hot summer afternoon is always welcomed…

YogurtwithJill.psd

Oh, and I got my hair chopped and thinned. It helped lower the frump factor.

I carried my camera with me yesterday and snapped random photos…

EdgehillAlley.psd

This was in an alley outside the yoga studio. I liked all the different lines happening.

What have you been up to, and do you like to take naps in sunbeams?

Picky Nicky June 6, 2011 at 9:26 am

I love the last picture you took! The lines ARE really nice! And in summer camp, we had huge tents with some sun coming through to the 2 front beds and me and my friend would always nap there during our break :) Miss that!

Tangy June 6, 2011 at 9:32 am

I do see a difference in the photos! Very nice!

I think about naps on a daily basis…but for some reason they seem to be frowned upon while I’m at work ;) The nerve! haha Naps are not on my kids’ a g0-go schedule, either, unfortunately!

robyn jones clark June 6, 2011 at 9:35 am

remind me when i do visit, and i’ll give you some photoshop tutorials! :) once you get into photoshop, it can be a lot of fun! lynda.com has some great tutorials for a lot of different programs… you might look into it..but there are some others that are free… just have to look for them. i’ll see if i can get a list together for you.

Sarah June 6, 2011 at 9:37 am

I’ve been wondering how I’m going to work studio yoga classes into my life after our little one is born in November. How do you do it? I’m a lover of yoga, and although I may need to resort to podcasts, those aren’t quite the same.

HEAB June 6, 2011 at 9:42 am

Sarah,
As much as I love being being at home with Summer, I REALLY miss my studio yoga classes. My favorite teacher only teaches weekday mornings, and I can never go to her classes anymore. I could go to classes at night, but I really like to be at home for Summer’s bedtime routine and for dinner with Chris. So, that leaves the weekends for studio classes, and during the week it’s DVD’s and podcasts at home. It’s definitely not the same, but it is what it is for now…and truth be told, it’s worth it. I’m so grateful for the opportunity to be at home with my baby girl! :)

Sarah June 6, 2011 at 9:52 am

Heather,
Thank you for sharing what works for you. That arrangement sounds like it would work for me, too. I don’t mind doing some at-home yoga- like you said, it’s worth it! But going to a class on the weekends sounds like a perfect compromise.

alli June 6, 2011 at 9:40 am

great picture! you can’t go wrong with a picture of a bowl of oat bran :) or is another grain you’ve got in there?
love the pigeon tank. and that painting…did you do that?
and last but not least- your hair looks fabulous!!! :)

HEAB June 6, 2011 at 9:43 am

Alli,
Yep, oat bran. :)

No, I didn’t do that painting. It was hanging in the yoga studio, and thanks so much. My hair feels so much lighter – I needed a change!

Steph @ StephSnacks June 6, 2011 at 9:47 am

I am someone who needs to sleep in a dark room in order to fall asleep! Although my puppy loves to sleep in the sunlight :)

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 6, 2011 at 9:55 am

I ALWAYS fall asleep in savasana at the end of yoga class. Always.

…what have I been up to? Well, you know, just running my first marathon. No big deal. ;)

Holly @ The Runny Egg June 6, 2011 at 9:55 am

I like taking naps period! But definitely in the sunshine is the best.

Ana June 6, 2011 at 10:05 am

Oh my gosh, Yoga and Yogurt sounds so good! I need to find a frozen yogurt place around here, there are a few popping out lately but I haven’t visited any of them.
One day I will also learn to take pretty pictures, and have a nice camera :-) That oat bran bowl looks delicious Heather… man I too love oats and oat bran!
Oh, and your hair looks so pretty, as always!!

Jen June 6, 2011 at 10:08 am

Timely post as I too am trying to learn Photoshop Elements! My blog/website is still being designed so I’m spending time on my “Things I Need to Do Before Hanging Out My Business Sign” which I do of course while sipping delicious coffee and listening to opera whilst enjoying gorgeous summer days in MN (finally!!!!!!) :) .

zoe (and the beatles) June 6, 2011 at 10:12 am

yay! cute haircut :) i definitely always need a regular trim and thinning. i’ve got so.much.hair. it’s ridiculous. i love it but sometimes i drown in it. frump-factor for sure!

two more things: LOVE your pigeon shirt (iheartpigeonpose) and LOVE your final photo. i totally agree — the lines are awesome!

Tulika June 6, 2011 at 10:13 am

Oh my gosh, I love napping in sun beams!! Especially in the winter! My family always laughs at me when they find me curled up in the little square of sunshine.

Yoga and yogurt–sounds like a great combo!!

Amanda @ The Beauty Notebooks June 6, 2011 at 10:16 am

Aw, I love your Pigeon t-shirt! Where did you get it?

by the way, what is in your breakfast bowl in your iphoto/photoshop photos?

HEAB June 6, 2011 at 10:26 am

Amanda,
The bowl contained oat bran – I’ll post the recipe later this week as it’s a new combo. The Pigeon T-shirt is sold at the yoga studio mentioned in the post. I love it too and kind of want one. :)

Amanda @ The Beauty Notebooks June 6, 2011 at 10:41 am

Pigeon pose is definitely one of my favorites! Can’t wait to see your oat bran recipe :) I made oatmeal this morning that tasted just like a blueberry muffin!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat June 6, 2011 at 10:18 am

Napping in the sunshine is innate I think – especially since my dog loves to do it too! You look gorgeous post yoga!

HEAB June 6, 2011 at 10:27 am

Thanks Claire. I felt so good after yoga. Love a good restorative class!

karina June 6, 2011 at 10:32 am

Love the hair!

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free June 6, 2011 at 10:37 am

Never heard of that program, but the photo looks great! And so does your haircut!!! Love it :D

My life is always hectic….always….I need to take break. Spend an afternoon at the beach. Isn’t it funny that I live 30 minutes from the beach yet I have only been there once this past year?

HEAB June 6, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Alex,
Not so funny. Get yourself to the ocean my friend…and soak in some of that fresh sea air for me! :)

Angel7 June 6, 2011 at 10:45 am

I like to take naps–they are necessary, and especially when you have a child or children :)

I like the last photo!

Ann Claire June 6, 2011 at 10:58 am

A yogi and yogurt meet up sounds so perfect! Nap in sum beams are fabulous, I wouldn’t mind one right about now…
I love the last photo, it’s really cool and artsy.

rachael June 6, 2011 at 11:01 am

I use photoshop at my job and wish I had it at home, the changes you can make are amazing.

That yoga studio looks gorgeous and your hair looks great!

I love to take naps in sunbeams but unfortunately a child who no longer naps has squashed any opportunities to do so!

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate June 6, 2011 at 11:25 am

I need to hit them up for some free software ;)

Corey @ runners cookie June 6, 2011 at 11:31 am

Your hair looks fabulous!! And I would love to learn how to use photoshop – your pictures look so cool. I think when I go back to grad school I will be able to use it for free :)

Nolita June 6, 2011 at 12:01 pm

We had a big pool party at our house Saturday night with LOTS of Emi’s friends and their parents and we also went to an outdoor concert with the kiddos last night. Nice full (but not too) weekend. Wanted to point you to Pioneer Woman’s tutorials on PE in case you want to glean any good stuff from her. http://thepioneerwoman.com/?s=Photoshop+Elements&submit= I actually got PE based on her recommendations and I don’t edit much of my stuff but I WANT to… Happy Monday!

HEAB June 6, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Nolita,
Great – thanks for the link. Will definitely be checking it out. Sounds like a perfect weekend if you ask me. :)

Alyssa June 6, 2011 at 12:22 pm

The photos look great (as does your hair)!
I sometimes think I was a cat in a previous life, as I LOVE naps, particularly in sunny spots.
We’re gearing up for summer and The Big Move (to Hubby’s parents’ house). Lots to do!

HEAB June 6, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Alyssa,
Good luck. Everything will fall into place! :)

Baking Serendipity June 6, 2011 at 12:41 pm

That yoga studio is gorgeous! I love sunbeams on the floor and curling up in them…especially in the winter :)

Cait June 6, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Naps in sun spots are the BEST kind of naps! And froyo on a hot day ain’t bad either ;)

Emily (Comfortable Home Life) June 6, 2011 at 12:58 pm

BAH I want Photoshop SO BAD! I currently use iPhoto, but your side by side comparison may have just pushed me to start saving my pennies. ;) I love the words you put on the photos – too funny! I love your haircut, that last photo and taking naps in sunbeams! I’m obviously way too full of love for a Monday afternoon…!

HEAB June 6, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Emily,
Thanks for loving me. :)

O.C. June 6, 2011 at 1:21 pm

I really like that photo of the alley. It’s so creative!
I’ve taken naps in the sunbeams before and restorative yoga always puts me in a relaxed napping mood :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss June 6, 2011 at 1:28 pm

I love that shirt! I’d love to have more yoga related shirts…I do have a few YogaFit ones, but they’re mainly long sleeve or cover ups so it’s much too warm to wear them now.

lindsay June 6, 2011 at 1:43 pm

life seems good HEAB! enjoy yoga and the hair looks good.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga June 6, 2011 at 1:52 pm

I can’t believe you got your hair chopped off and thinned and you still have more hair than most women and I know you just reduced the volume by tons…you have GORGEOUS hair! I want a mane like yours :)

I love the edited photo and that you’re getting into your photography and the editing process and yes, iphoto is fine but once you start taking better pictures, and spend more money on a camera and lenses, you will then think, hmmm, is this really the best this photo can be? And after you “max out” the limitations of iphoto, you will want more! Well, at least I did. And that’s where Lightroom came in for me.

And just yesterday I was at the mac store (got the new machine and just posted about it!) and had a copy of PSE in my hands and read about it on the box b/c i know you have it!

clare June 6, 2011 at 2:03 pm

yes, great lines heather! my favorite thing is the exit sign with the conduit running perfectly up and over to the top edge of the photo. what a leadout! i wonder what it would look like cropped right below the red ladder?

photoshop is SOOOO fun. and addicting. and hard. do the fun part mostly ok? thats my best advice :)

HEAB June 6, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Clare – ooh, that would look cool. Will have to play around with the photo more – but only with the FUN editing tools of course. :)

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn June 6, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Wow — Jill looks so similar to Mila Kunis on first glance!!! I can’t believe they sent you Photoshop, you so lucky!

LisaLittleG June 6, 2011 at 2:20 pm

I feel like I have only been up to working (and working and working) these days…but being in Florida…I like to take naps on a chair in the sun by the pool whenever possible! (And alternating the nap segments with reading a great book in the same chair in the sun) =)

Vivianne June 6, 2011 at 2:26 pm

I love love love yoga. I wish I had a place that taught yoga around me that wasn’t so expensive. I try to do 20min yoga downloads sometimes during the week (:

I wish I had photoshop to pretty up my pictures! Then again, I would probably be too lazy to edit them P:

katie @KatieDid June 6, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Yay! for getting back into yoga :) It just takes a couple times to get back into the groove and you wonder why you ever left. Your photos are looking great too, those programs tend to confuse me SO much so I stick to very basic editing but maybe someday.
Yesterday I sat on the floor in a sunbeam to eat lunch! I used to sit under a table next to a glass door as a kid and play with my toys because I loved the warmth from the sun.

The Teenage Taste June 6, 2011 at 3:09 pm

You’ve inspired me to start doing yoga I love it! I’ve been doing yoga 2-3 times a week for 2 months now and I am already beginning to notice changes in my flexibility and strength! Amazing! I’ve just been doing videos and stuff on my own in my house though. I hope to go to a studio one day soon though! :-D

HEAB June 6, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Teenage Taste,
Oh, that makes me so happy to hear. Yoga at an actual studio changed my practice so much – I love the intimate atmosphere and connecting with my favorite instructors and other yoginis. At-home yoga is great, but there in nothing like a good studio class. Hope you make it to one some day soon! :)

Nicole@GFonaShoestring June 6, 2011 at 3:17 pm

While I realize that the grass is always greener on someone else’s hair, I must point out that I have never in my life had the problem of having too much hair, and resorting to thinning it. I have fine hair. And it’s never been so “fine” with me. But sometimes people tell me, oh you have such great hair. And the name of those people is “people with super curly hair.” Because they want straight hair. And I have straight hair.
So the grass is greener on your hair for me. Or some other tortured metaphor.
I miss yoga. It’s been years. Such good energy in my little local studio.
Nicole

HEAB June 6, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Nicole,
Yep, I’m the one with super hair…but not super curly. It’s super thick and out of control. Most days, it just gets thrown up in ponytail as I can’t handle the frizz. So, for me the grass is greener on your hair. :)

tea-bag June 6, 2011 at 3:46 pm

oh man, sunbeams are the BEST for naps! i actually didn’t realize how great they’d be until i saw my cat snoozing in them. there’s a perfect spot that i fight her for now! :) speaking of, time to rouse that furball up & reclaim my spot! ;)

Sarah R June 6, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Love the new hairdo! I also really like the red fire escape in that last picture. It really pops! Good eye HEAB!

Erin @ Naturally Addicted June 6, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Ah I love that yoga studio or at least what I can see of it! I have always dreamed of having an apartment with exposed brick! love it love it!!

Jill June 6, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Just like everyone else has said, LOOOVVE the last picture!! And I really want to change that yoga studio into my own apt. Maybe I could just have the occasional yoga class in “my” living room? LOL. Don’t worry, post-savasana naptime would be encouraged :-) And on a totally random note, I read last week that regular nappers have like a 30% lower risk of heart attack and stroke-wish I remembered where I read that!

I’m at work right now, and although it’s been a okay/uneventful day (prob just competely jinxed myself by saying that!!), I would actually love to just randomly drop EVERYTHING and repeat yoga + yogurt. Think anyone here would miss me? ;-)

Kristin @ STUFT Mama June 6, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Holy cow, I would LOVE to take a nap (ANYWHERE actually). ha! Your pictures are fabulous. I tried photoshop, but cold not get the hang of it. Maybe someday in my free time…… ha! Thanks for the photo inspiration. Mine need some serious help! :)

nadia June 6, 2011 at 4:19 pm

I LOVE this post! I laughed at some of the pictures, looked wistfully at some and the last photo is so cool – the lines are great. I also am a big fan of your new haircut (although there was no frump factor to begin with no,no.)

Amanda Jewell @ Science&Bananas June 6, 2011 at 4:31 pm

New haircut looks fresh HEAB! There’s nothing like lightening the mane a little for summer time :-)
Diggin the red iron wall thing in the photo; it adds a nice dimension.

Gina (Yogattude) June 6, 2011 at 4:31 pm

Yoga dates are the best! I also love exposed brick and hardwood, it’s so cozy!

Tori (Fresh Fruition) June 6, 2011 at 5:15 pm

I haven’t taken a nap in the sun in ages! I remember doing that quite a few times when I was little, though. Looks like it’s time for some nostalgic napping!

Carbzilla June 6, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Frump Factor? What are you talking about, my sweet friend. You are glowy from the inside as always. (Though maybe you should have CD take you out, requiring a skirt and a little lipstick. That always helps banish that frumpy feeling.)

I have Elements but I liked the regular Photoshop better. I’m still working on my photography (and taking ANOTHER class next month). I’ve decided it’s just too dark here to get good pictures, though I keep trying – when I even remember to take them.

Big hugs!

HEAB June 6, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Carb,
Yes, I totally need a date night!!! :)

Katie June 6, 2011 at 5:38 pm

New do, new toys, new fun! I love it all. I screams summer time.

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) June 6, 2011 at 5:57 pm

Your hair looks fabulous, girl! :)

I don’t like napping in the sun, but our cats do. hehe

I’ve never used Photoshop Elements but I do own Photoshop and Lightroom3. I edit my photos pretty simply: add brightness if needed; auto tone; vibrance +30 to +40. That’s about all. I haven’t delved into LR3 much, I’m so used to Photoshop regular by now. I’ve been using it for years but haven’t mastered it, lol. Takes so much time! Have fun with it. :)

Kath (My Funny Little Life) June 6, 2011 at 6:03 pm

I love editing photos! It’s sooooo much fun, and I can very well forget the time over it. :)

Your new haircut looks great! I love the natural style of your hair. :) I get my hair thinned out every few weeks, it’s not very thick but I have *so much*. 8O

megan @ the oatmeal diaries June 6, 2011 at 6:05 pm

Yoga and frozen yogurt = my perfect day! It’s so funny you brought up the sunbeam naps because during my first year of college, my bed was angled to the window so that every day around 1pm the sun hit it PERFECTLY. You better believe I took more 1pm naps than ever before in my life! So glorious :)

Lauren June 6, 2011 at 6:23 pm

You were never frumpy Heather! But I have to say, you look extra gorgeous! Summer’s got a hot Mama! ;) hehe

HEAB June 6, 2011 at 7:54 pm

Thanks Lauren. That made my night. :)

melissa @ the delicate place June 6, 2011 at 6:36 pm

you’ve pretty much described my perfect house…exposed brick and tons of sunlight streaming in. i’ve been known to fall asleep in this one chair we have that sits next to a giant window. the sun is so warm and glorious i love it! love the new hair cut! fresh and summery :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) June 6, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Your hair looks beautiful! I need to get back into yoga again. I really am missing it! I’ve never been to a studio to actually do it though. Sounds like a great afternoon with a friend! I hope you have a great week Heather!

Lee June 6, 2011 at 7:34 pm

I use photoshop every day at work (I’m a graphic designer). If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to email me and I can try to help you out.

HEAB June 6, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Lee,
Thank you! There just seems to be so much that it is capable of doing, and I would really like to utilize the program rather than just stick to the basics. What editing tools do you use the most? Wish were you here for an in-person tutorial. I’d totally bake you some oaties for Photoshop lessons. :)

Lee June 6, 2011 at 10:09 pm

I’m not sure the exact differences between elements and regular photoshop, but if I were editing photos in ps, i would increase the brightness and contrast (probably under adjustments in elements), the vibrance and then use the unsharp mask (under filters in elements?) which actually does the opposite of what it sounds like and sharpens the photo.

If you wanted to color correct, you could make a new layer on top of your photo, use the brush tool as color and make the layer color too and paint on top of it. (I realize that probably makes no sense!)

Again, these are photoshop things so I’m not sure if they are available in elements. Hope this helps!

Julie June 6, 2011 at 7:44 pm

I stumbled across your blog today while searching for recipes using almond butter. I’m so glad I found you! What a great resource for healthy eating in general. Thanks for sharing your experiences and information.

HEAB June 6, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Julie – I’m glad you found me. Thanks for reading my blog, and I hope you enjoy your almond butter! :)

Annie June 6, 2011 at 7:54 pm

One of my favorite memories as a kid is laying in the window in the backseat and feeling the sun beat down while my brothers sat ON the backseat.. the only bummer was when I “accidentally” rolled down on my brothers when my dad stopped.. hehe… they’re 10 years older than me so you can imagine how much my 15 year old brothers loved their 5 year old tag along sister rolling down on them all giggly… ;-)

Pure2raw twins June 6, 2011 at 7:58 pm

I have photoshop, so cannot give any tips for elements, but give it time you will learn over time. I only know how to do about 3 things in photo editing, so much to learn.

Exposed brick girls!! My new place has it everywhere, and big windows with lots of light!! Wish I could practice yoga, no room :( I miss yoga so bad. I am starting to realize I need to do things that help slow me down.

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner June 6, 2011 at 8:03 pm

I LOVE NAPS!!! I took one alongside my cat today. :)

Gretchen June 6, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Georgetown, Texas, 105*F today; I came home from volunteering at the food pantry and took a nap on the floor under the ceiling fan. Sunbeams are better in the cooler weather!

michelle June 6, 2011 at 8:05 pm

Funny you mention sunbeams. I walked into my 13 yr old daughters room this morning at 7 a.m. to wake her up and she was lying on her stomach looking at me with her t-shirt and underwear on. She had a big sunbeam on her butt and without moving, asked me if her bum was burning? Love early summer mornings!

Kim June 6, 2011 at 8:36 pm

See, now you have a reason (other than to visit family) to come to AZ asap. One thing you dont know is that Fred and I are both experts in Photo editing and have all the “fancy” toys out there. We have the newest/ greatest MAC crap and of course love it. We can do lots o yoga in our yoga room, and then snap random pictures galore around AZ. Even if I do complain time to time about AZ, hands down, we do have some amazing places to photograph (water, mountains, different climates, red rocks, you get the idea). Free yoga ( with free child care), free photo edit lessons, AND an awesome time. At this point AZ is cooler temp wise than most places, crazy no? We are getting spoiled here, that is for sure, 85 here today and beautiful! So what are you waiting for? LOVE ya!

Kim June 6, 2011 at 8:37 pm

One last thing…you look beautiful! Remember my email, priorities!

Tara June 6, 2011 at 8:45 pm

I love that shirt! Pigeon is my favorite pose. I need it!! My trainer would find it hilarious because she introduced me to it. She jokes that she would find me asleep in that pose!

HEAB June 6, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Tara,
I love Pigeon Pose as well. The T-shirt is sold at the studio I mentioned in this post. You might be able to call and order one from them. I’m not sure.

Liz @ iheartvegetables June 6, 2011 at 10:14 pm

I wish photo software didn’t intimidate me so much!! I need to play around with some new programs (actually… I need a new computer first… pretty sure nothing good would run on this old laptop!)

Quix June 6, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Late afternoon, the sun just hits my spot on the couch just right, and if I’m any sorts of sleepy, it just sends me into dreamland. :)

Love the pictures, and your hair looks great! No frump there!

Amber from Berlinswhimsy June 6, 2011 at 11:00 pm

I love your hair— it makes me think I need to tame my own frump factor a bit, too!

Photoshop is my friend. I use it often but usually only to brighten up photos. It’s so helpful!

Hannah June 6, 2011 at 11:06 pm

Point of fact: there’s no way in this world you could ever have a frump factor. Just sayin’.

Sarah June 6, 2011 at 11:25 pm

I too am a fan of exposed brick. Exposed brick singlehandedly “sold” me on my most recent apartment.
As for naps in sunbeams, I’m going to go with a resounding YES!!!

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood June 6, 2011 at 11:38 pm

Never took a nap in the sunbeam but would definitely love to try it one day. I’m not sure if yoga is the thing for me… it’s totally kicking my butt! :( lols.

Stephanie @ extremebalance.net/blog June 7, 2011 at 1:01 am

I love the editing! I like being able to editorialise… well… EVERYTHING! Looks good on you, too. :)

Faith June 7, 2011 at 1:23 am

Hey I’m a photo student, it looks like the first photo of the oats on the left is underexposed, so I would suggest exposing it maybe a stop more. If you do that then you won’t need to do much to it on photoshop. I don’t know if your shooting manual or automatic, but if it’s manual and your using a dslr, you can use the light reading in your camera to gage where the aperture and shutter speed should be. To start out just point the camera somewhere in the frame that is a mid tone, get a light reading there, and then shot the picture. Hope this helps if you don’t already know this. :)

HEAB June 7, 2011 at 8:47 am

Thanks Faith. I am shooting in manual mode with a DSLR but still learning. This does help. :)

ashley June 7, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Good for you for shooting in manual mode! : ) Is this your first SLR? It can take some time to learn manual settings, but I always tell people it’s SO worth it to learn because it gives you control over everything you do with your camera. In other words, those images you envision can actually turn out the way you imagined them! Fun fun fun, I love photography : ) So glad you’re enjoying your camera!

HEAB June 7, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Ashley,
Yep, first one and having so much fun. I have a photography friend who gave me so many helpful tips, but I haven’t branched out much from what she showed me how to do. I would love to take a class as I know I have so much to learn…someday soon I hope. :)
Thanks for the encouragement!

Lorne June 7, 2011 at 5:40 am

that spot looks like it needs to be filled by a giant over stuffed pillow, a cup of English breakfast, a good book and ….. me :0)

Baking 'n' Books June 7, 2011 at 7:53 am

Love your hair!

Jen June 7, 2011 at 8:58 am

You’re making me want to take yoga! It’s been literally forever. I have four pre-paid sessions at the yoga studio I like, and they’re going to expire next month. They really expired last December, but the woman in charge was kind enough to extend them for me until July of this year. If I don’t use those sessions…shame on me. And yes, naps under sun beams are heavenly! There should be a little patch of grass right underneath that window. :)

Rufus June 7, 2011 at 9:24 am

Thanks for the update, I was wondering :)

My goodness…what have I NOT been up to? Two weeks ago, my fiancĂ©e and I decided to get married July 2nd giving us 6 weeks to plan a wedding! I also moved Memorial Day weekend and we are in the process of combining households. I’ve also been going to lots of doctor’s appts. with my mom (cancer) and generally trying to spend as much time with her as possible. There’s also shake ups going on at my workplace which include a new boss.

So, not much…the usual :)

What have I NOT been up to? Blogging. Not enough hours in the day!

Maggie @ Say Yes to Salad June 7, 2011 at 10:23 am

Oh I love your hair!!

Of course I like taking naps in sunbeams :) My cats enjoy it as well.

marty June 7, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Definitely notice the difference in the photo, wow! I’ll have to check out Photoshop Elements – though I’m still waiting for that new digital SLR! A nap in the sun on the floor, any day! Lovely picture of you and Jill – with your lovely new doo!

Caitlin June 7, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Aw, thank you Heather :) Photoshop is by far the macdaddy for editing software! I highly recommend taking a short intro class and/or watch some youtube tutorials…I found them really helpful!

Kelsey @ Clean Teen Kelsey June 7, 2011 at 11:52 pm

I loove exposed brick indoors! It is the coolest thing. That yoga studio looks wonderful.

Chad @ thebresakupnote June 8, 2011 at 7:58 am

Heather… any image from the old WIlly Wonka film disturbs me on a visceral level. I peed my pants. Just wanted to hop in and tell you all about it!

HEAB June 8, 2011 at 8:34 am

Sorry Chad. My best friend’s older sister was the same way. The Oompa Loompas gave her nightmares for years.

Ameena June 8, 2011 at 11:44 am

Your photos are really amazing.

If only I didn’t need sleep either…I think I could accomplish so much more!

Lori Ghany June 9, 2011 at 6:53 am

Hi Heather. Love the photos! I think photoshop is a great program but just too complicated for me. (and that is coming from a certified computer nerd). What have I been up to?? I am taking a (needed) break from my old church and seeking out who it is I really am and want to be. I feel a major turn in my life coming on. I am still exercising daily and have added back my beloved carbohydrates to my meals now. I am still trying to find what works for me at my new lower size. I am thinking about going back to my beloved counted cross stitching as I have not done so for a very long time. I did venture back on my keyboard too a few days ago but for some reason am still not drawn to it like I used to be.
Have a great week!

HEAB June 9, 2011 at 7:11 am

Lori,
Yes, Photoshop is quite complicated, but I think the Elements program is much simpler. I’ve figured out the basics – well, at least I think I have, and I’m having so much fun.

You sound like you are doing well. Change is good my friend…it’s good. :)