Blueberry Belly

by HEAB on June 7, 2011

HeatherBlueberry.psd

Yep, it’s true. I cannot stop eating blueberries. It all started when someone mentioned a blueberry lemon cake recipe to me. Jill, was that you? Anyway, I could not get the combo out of my head. Then while reading Eden’s blog, her Cinnamon Raisin Quick Bread caught my attention as cinnamon paired with raisins is another one of my favorite combos. I decided to make the bread but then realized I was lacking all of the ingredients except the baking powder. However, I did have lemons and blueberries. So, I’d like to dedicate the following recipe to my friend Jill and thank Eden for the inspiration.

Blueberry Bread.jpg

Lemon Blueberry Cornbread. Please click here for the recipe.

Blueberrybreadcrumbs_edited-2.jpg

The bread was crumbly and oh so good, especially when smeared with sweet lemon cream cheese, but more about that in another post. I baked it a regular loaf pan, but I think a mini loaf pan would work better. CD and I finished off the entire loaf in one day, and the next morning I woke up with lemons and blueberries still on the brain. So, I made blueberry oat bran topped with more of the lemon cream cheese.

Blueberrylemonoats.jpg

Oat bran cooked in water with a handful of fresh blueberries stirred in at the end.

What’s your favorite combo these days?

P.S. I’m leaving the comments on my Reader Appreciation Giveaway post open through tomorrow, Wednesday, June 8, and I’ll announce the winner on Thursday.

Victoria (District Chocoholic) June 7, 2011 at 10:03 am

Woah…even though I ate nearly a pint of blueberries on Sunday, I’d have never thought to make blueberry cornbread.

So, the question is: For buttering this bread, do you use coconut butter or tap into the buttermyd?

HEAB June 7, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Victoria,
All of the above. :)

Josie June 7, 2011 at 10:06 am

I eat blueberries most every day at breakfast because I LOVE them! This morning I had oats with cocoa powder, peanut butter, half a banana, and blueberries. I think that’s my winning combination. =)

Kelly June 7, 2011 at 10:10 am

This is the second cornbread recipe I have seen this morning. I love it! Cornbread is awesome and if I could only have one type of bread for the rest of my life it would be cornbread. Yours look wonderful!

Melissa R June 7, 2011 at 10:11 am

frozen Cherries, coconut milk and dark dark chocolate

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat June 7, 2011 at 10:16 am

My new favorite combo is cinnamon and ANYTHING. I think it could work its way into that recipe…

HEAB June 7, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Claire,
Yeah, I think so too. :)

Lindsay June 7, 2011 at 10:18 am

Yum!! I have been loving carrots and almonds/almond peanut butter (the little kid inside of me I guess) or carrots and ginger lately. Also apricot (the dried Turkish organic or fresh)and almond have been hitting the spot but I think I’m newly inspired. Lemons+blueberries=summertime

Katherine: Unemployed June 7, 2011 at 10:20 am

blue is very becoming on you

Emily June 7, 2011 at 10:23 am

Yummm blueberry cornbread sounds amazing! I looooove blueberries!

Maggie @ Say Yes to Salad June 7, 2011 at 10:24 am

Hmm… favorite combo… buttery French croissants (or pain chocolate) with “un cafe”. I never knew how cool espresso was!! American coffee now seems weak to me ;)

HEAB June 7, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Maggie,
Pain au Chocolat – LOVE THEM!!! Please eat one for me. I hope you’re having a wonderful trip, and I can’t wait to read all about it.

tea-bag June 7, 2011 at 10:24 am

lemons and blueberries are such an AMAZING combo – i love the sweet & tart flavors!
my fav combo of late is egg whites topped w/ low-fat cottage cheese & plain nonfat greek yogurt. yes, it’s white to the third, but i love it!

HEAB June 7, 2011 at 1:40 pm

White to the 3rd. That made me laugh. :)

Gen June 7, 2011 at 10:30 am

Yuuum lemon and blueberries are awesome together!!!
I like chocolate+cinnamon and pineapple+coconut a lot!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey June 7, 2011 at 10:31 am

I have been OD’ing on blueberries lately too! They’re so good right now!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn June 7, 2011 at 10:41 am

Totally fine, I AM violet. That’s how many blueberries I eat!

carrie @ gingerlemongirl.com June 7, 2011 at 10:41 am

Hello my name is carrie and I have also been od’ing on blueberries the past two weeks!!! This is the ONLY time of year that I want them… so I don’t feel like too bad of an addict! lol… I’ve just been eating them plain.. I don’t really like them cooked an I feel like I’m “wasting” them in a smoothie — so I just eat them straight from the container!

HEAB June 7, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Carrie,
No shame in blueberries straight up. It’s Summer’s favorite way to eat them. :)

Felicia (Natural + Balanced) June 7, 2011 at 10:45 am

hahaha that first picture is hysterical! I am loving organic strawberries these days- so sweet and delicious! Its a serious addiction :) Berries are so yum in the summer. There is this fantastic field of wild blueberries not far from my house and we usually go picking in July/August. All I can say is we pick so many that frozen berries last us all year :)

HEAB June 7, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Felicia,
My goal is to go berry picking this summer. We’ll be back up in Michigan in August, and I am determined to make it happen. I will have fresh Michigan blueberries and lots of them! :)

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free June 7, 2011 at 10:47 am

Oh My Goodness!! I love this! Have to make it :)

Fav combo? Well, it is as it has been for the past few months=pb and chocolate, unsweetened

HEAB June 7, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Alex,
I love your new photo. You’re so pretty. Must be all that unsweetened chocolate. ;)

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free June 7, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Thanks, Heather!

I love your photo, too….in a blueberry-lovin way! haha,..

Erica June 7, 2011 at 11:00 am

LOVE Charlie and the Chocolate factory :) That photo shopped picture is awesome :) The cornbread sounds delicious. I really LOVE cornbread. Favorite combo? Sun butter and anything right now!

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate June 7, 2011 at 11:00 am

I’ve decided that I need to make that cornbread stat!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) June 7, 2011 at 11:04 am

Tony is a photoshop pro. He and a group of artist friends used to have photoshop wars…let’s just say that was not pretty. The cornbread looks and sounds delicious!

HEAB June 7, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Sarena,
Please tell Tony I need some Photoshop lessons. I’ll pay in bacon and Kerrygold. ;)

Pure2raw twins June 7, 2011 at 8:40 pm

we want lessons too :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) June 8, 2011 at 12:55 pm

He said it’s a definite! You had him at bacon!

Melissa B. June 7, 2011 at 11:13 am

I have been obsessed with blueberries, as well! I have been having them for dessert with a few semi-sweet chocolate chips mixed in, or on top of Smoothie Girl Eats, Too’s protein fudge muffins. I’m addicted to them!

HEAB June 7, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Melissa,
I loved Deb’s fudge muffins. Best protein muffin recipe I’ve ever tried.

Jess@HealthyExposures June 7, 2011 at 11:31 am

I adore fresh blueberries! Especially when I can go pick them myself. Although lately I think I’m turning red from all the strawberries I’ve been eating.
One of my favorite combos lately? Okay, you probably don’t want to hear this…but an egg or tofu with BBQ seasoning in between a PB&J sandwich. Yep.

HEAB June 7, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Jess,
Really? Wow, that is quite the combo. I’d try the egg version. I’m not scared. :)

Namaste Gurl June 7, 2011 at 11:32 am

Don’t worry, I often find myself eating much too many blueberries myself. Blueberries are VERY expensive, but luckily I still live at home where there’s always an abundance of fresh berries :)
I love blueberries in porridge with coconut, cinnamon, flax, and almond butter <3 I might be trying blueberry + goat cheese salad soon as well…

Holly @ The Runny Egg June 7, 2011 at 11:39 am

I love lemon + blueberry — and baked up as cornbread sounds amazing.

Favorite combo these days — strawberry + chocolate. Normally I’m not a huge chocolate so this is a little odd for me.

Nora @ Natural Noshing June 7, 2011 at 11:49 am

Nice job on applying the photoshop skills, gotta love that program! Your cornbread sounds and looks delish! I’ve been loving on PB and chocolate for the sweet and hardboiled eggs and roasted red pepper hummus for the savory (it’s like a healthy deviled egg!) sounds strange but it’s really good!

HEAB June 7, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Nora,
I love making my deviled eggs with hummus instead of mayo. What a yummy summer meal. I need to make some soon…and wash them down with a chocolate PB cup. ;)

Ann Claire June 7, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Mmm blueberries and lemon are perfect together. Lately, I’ve been loving raspberries and chocolate.

Vanessa Fuller June 7, 2011 at 12:30 pm

This week I have been eating a salad with blueberries, goat cheese, baby greens, toasted pecans with agave, sea salt, cinnamon and cayenne pepper topped with reduced balsamic vinegar and olive oil. It is like dessert! I am in love!

amanda @ the beautynotebooks June 7, 2011 at 12:41 pm

LOVE the photoshopped picture! Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is one of my favorite movies. I feel like such a kid when I’m watching. : )

I just recently had a post on my blog devoted to blueberries! or blueberry muffin oatmeal, rather … I’ve sadly never been a big fan of whole blueberries : ( it’s a texture thing.

Melanie June 7, 2011 at 12:47 pm

I’m totally feeling you on the blueberries. Wal-Mart has NC-grown blueberries on sale this week at $2.99 for a pint, and I’ve almost polished off the first one (which we bought Sunday) and I’m having Joey buy another when he goes back today. And yes, I shopped at Wal Mart even though I really dislike them, and no, they’re not organic:(. But they’re tasty!!

HEAB June 7, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Melanie,
No shame in the Wal-Mart or non-organic blueberry lovin’. ;)

Kelly @foodiefresh June 7, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Blueberry and lemon is one of my favorite combinations, as well as sweet potato + coconut; and raspberry + chocolate.

My husband and I reference Violet all the time when we really want something: we scream “I want it now, Daddy!”(in an English accent). I don’t know why. It’s possibly because we’re incredibly weird. :)

HEAB June 7, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Kelly,
You, your husband, and I would get along quite well. Weirdos unite! I’ll bring the blueberries and lemons. :)

Gina (Yogattude) June 7, 2011 at 12:49 pm

I love ANYTHING with lemon! Lemon-blueberry, lemon-blackberry, lemon-rosemary, the list goes on!

Jess June 7, 2011 at 12:51 pm

My mouth is water.

Lately, I can’t seem to get enough avocado! I’ve been loving it in salad with roasted peppers and cauliflower, lentils and miso-tahini dressing.

HEAB June 7, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Jess,
Miso-tahini is my favorite salad dressing!

CH June 7, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Lemon cream cheese sounds like it’s a legitimate contender for the greatest food ever invented. :)

I haven’t really been loving any particular combo since I haven’t been able to cook in Europe. But chocolate and peanut butter is always a safe bet! Maybe egg and cheese as well, when I want something savory. And basil + anything is always a winner.

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} June 7, 2011 at 2:09 pm

I went through a huge lemon phase a few months back and lemons+blueberries was a fun discovery. So good! Your corn bread looks lovely. :-)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga June 7, 2011 at 2:13 pm

“HEAB, you’re turning violet…and having way too much fun with Photoshop Elements.”

Lol!

I am sooo glad you’re loving the PSE! I knew you would! It’s so fun to tinker around with images and just add or enhance a few things here or there with lighting, exposure, sharpening, etc…glad you’re having fun. And one could make editing their FULL TIME job, if you let it, right? A time suck! But it’s a fun time suck!

And the bread and that lemon cream cheese….swoon! :)

Tangy June 7, 2011 at 2:23 pm

That looks so good! Where did you find lemon cream cheese, or did you make that yourself?

My current favorite combos…grilled meat and bbq sauce, chocolate and walnuts, nutella and cream cheese, eggs and potatoes…those all come to mind right away. No pickles and ice cream for this girl!

HEAB June 7, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Tangy,
I loved eggs and potatoes when I was pregnant. During my first trimester, that’s all I wanted somedays – as long as they were both covered in cheese. :)

The lemon cream cheese recipe comes from a cookbook I’m reviewing. My version is just cream cheese + lemon zest + vanilla stevia drops. So good!

Katie June 7, 2011 at 2:51 pm

I love the combo of blueberries and cornbread. Something about it is just delicious.

Have you seen How Sweet it is’s recipe for blueberry BBQ sauce? YUM.

HEAB June 7, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Katie,
I think so, or someone told me about it. I thought for some reason you had made a blueberry BBQ sauce…or was that a blueberry mustard? ;)

Baking 'n' Books June 7, 2011 at 3:28 pm

I am such a Bloob-Head…it’s not normal. I just eat them by the pints.

I love them in Goat Milk yogurt with apple butter and roasted almond butter and usually a crumbled muffin or granola – but I think I found a new addition! :)

I once made a sugar-less Blueberry muffin that was so good! I should bring that recipe back…I know Alex replicated it on her blog once.

…but I think some Maple Syrup in it would be divine of course :)

The Teenage Taste June 7, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Mmmm…blueberries! I probably eat 1-2 cups of berries a day during the summer months. I just can’t get enough! :-P

Jenny June 7, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Oh heather, how could you leave us hanging with the lemon cream cheese?! I shall be checking back religiously for the recipe :) In the mean time, though, that bread looks wonderful! Perfect for the summer time.

HEAB June 7, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Hehe, sorry Jenny. If you promise to keep coming back, I’ll let you in on my little secret: 1 block softened cream cheese combined with the zest of one lemon and vanilla stevia drops (I used about 6 drops I think). Delicious. :)

Samantha June 7, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Ha ha, too funny! I love blueberries with lemon and mint. Yum! Lately I’m living off of the protein muffin that’s been floating around the blogosphere, and the berry bliss bars that OKOKLetsDoThis modified from Oh She Glows.

melissa June 7, 2011 at 4:09 pm

This would have been PERFECT to make tonight! Except this morning DH asked me if he could take the rest of the blueberries to work in his lunch! Man! Guess I will be making it tomorrow- My favorite day–payday aka GROCERY MANIA!! I will have to give this one a try after I am restocked and full of blueberry goodness again!

Laura June 7, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Yum! And randomly, I was just reading about the girl in that scene the other day and how all the gum-chewing gave her cavities. :) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1391676/Meet-Willy-Wonka-And-The-Chocolate-Factorys-Violet-years-on.html

HEAB June 7, 2011 at 6:23 pm

Thanks for the link Laura. So cool to read what all the actors are doing today. Love that Charlie is now a vet. :)

Kath (My Funny Little Life) June 7, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Hehehe, that photoshopped walking blueberry … ;) I love blueberries, but I don’t have them too often because fresh berries are so expensive. :(

I have a crazy appetite for broccoli and eggs these days, and eat something that involves the two every day.

Eleanor@eatinglikeahorse June 7, 2011 at 4:50 pm

I love strawberries, plain soya yogurt and granola every day at the moment – for breakfast and pudding! But just got blueberries too; that bread looks great :-)
And I llove the picture!

melissa @ the delicate place June 7, 2011 at 5:47 pm

i did a double take on your bloob heab. haha. you know, i’ve been craving blueberries for days and now it’s official i have to go to the store now!

Amanda Jewell June 7, 2011 at 6:14 pm

ummm YUM. There is a blueberry lemon gelato at this little cafe one block from my place (I live in Little Italy so you know it’s good) and it’s so good I think you’d walk all the way to San Diego to get it :-)
Favorite combo: coconut chocolate chip cookies with sea salt. BOOM.

HEAB June 7, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Amanda,
Yeah, I would…would also walk that far for those cookies. ;)

Dorry June 7, 2011 at 6:59 pm

I’ve been loving strawberries lately on cold, crunchy cereal. And raspberries in my oats! Lots of berries in my belly lately, too. :)

Maren June 7, 2011 at 7:33 pm

A nap in the sun would be glorious :) I love the hair HEAB! It’s perfect for summer…and Summer! :)

Eden June 7, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Me? Inspiring?
My heart just fluttered!
I’ve been reading your blog since…forever! Since I had my old old blog! So seeing my name up there makes me feel like I’ve really made it. I can die happy now!
and I love the hair, I think you need to do a whole post on your hair. I love it!

Konnie June 7, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Lately my daughter and I are obsessed with baby carrots dipped in hummus. My local grocery store had Sabra hummus on sale, B1G1, so even though I usually make my own, we stocked up and have been eating it like crazy!

Although… I did just buy a pint of fresh blueberries and have been making blueberry, strawberry, raspberry smoothies lately!

michelle June 7, 2011 at 8:06 pm

I can’t stop eating and thinking about while not eating, greek yogurt mixed with coconut, goji berries, blueberries and canned pumpkin.

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli June 7, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Oh Heather! That looks absolutely mouth watering! And topped with lemon cream cheese? Brilliant!

I can’t seem to get enough peanut butter and pumpkin butter these past couple of days! I’ve had in on toasts, sweet breakfast sandwiches and overnight oats! Love it!

Pure2raw twins June 7, 2011 at 8:42 pm

love lemon and blueberry together…but lately been enjoying strawberries and chocolate ;)

Tara June 7, 2011 at 8:44 pm

I have been loving pickles with hummus lately. In salads, sandwiches, with quinoa, whatever… it’s just so good!

Anne June 7, 2011 at 9:09 pm

glad to know someone else out there is OD’ing on berries! :D i’ve eaten 3 pints of strawberries in the last 48 hours. i think i might exploooodeee! but i can’t stop. with this weather, it’s just tooo refreshing.
and ahh! that blueberry cornbread is making me drroooool. i love cornbread in general. even the overly processed Golden Corral kind.

p.s. i’m envious of your photoshop skills hehe ;)

VEGirl June 7, 2011 at 9:13 pm

I can understand the fun your having in photoshop! My first experimentation was a badge I tried to make where I cut my rat’s head out of a picture and pasted it in, with a body that I drew on the computer. It had a little speech bubble talking. It was pretty….um….. scary might be the right word!

Blueberries and lemon sounds like a delicious combo! My new favorite combination I discovered about an hour ago– peanut butter and pesto. I see lots of pb&p sammies in my future! Who would’ve thought THAT would be tasty?

Hannah June 7, 2011 at 11:14 pm

There are worse things that becoming a blueberry! Imagine becoming a nettle. People would only be able to hug you with full protective gear on.

Kelsey @ Clean Teen Kelsey June 7, 2011 at 11:39 pm

I have definitely been craving the lemon/blueberry combo lately, too! It’s just so good. But I don’t usually buy blueberries, so I can never have it! haha.

Jamee June 8, 2011 at 2:28 am

Note to self: never read Heather’s blog at midnight because it only makes me hungry but it’s too late to bake these lemon-blueberry goodies and I know there won’t be anything else I’d want to eat tomorrow for breakfast, and sadly I don’t even have any lemons or blueberries on hand to even improvise. Hmm… :)

Vanessa June 8, 2011 at 5:58 am

Whilst blueberries and lemon are delicious, at the moment I just can’t get enough of butternut pumpkin drizzled with tahini. In Australia we have just started winter, so it’s pumpkin/tahini galore in porridge, polenta, or mooshed up through pasta for a simple dinner!

Riss June 8, 2011 at 7:15 am

Mmmm love me some blueberries! I’ve been buying the HUGE bags of frozen blues from Sams and throwing them in my smoothies with a handful of spinach! Perfect for these nasty hot day we’ve been having in the south lately… Is it really only June!?

cailen June 8, 2011 at 11:19 am

lemon + blueberries is a divine combination! i love the idea of using is in cornbread. totally inspired!

cailen June 8, 2011 at 11:19 am

lemon + blueberries is a divine combination! i love the idea of using it in cornbread. totally inspired!

Paige June 8, 2011 at 1:06 pm

I need to get my hands on some oat bran! I can’t find it any stores near me, though. Not even at Whole Foods or TJs :(

HEAB June 8, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Paige,
Really? TJ’s usually sells a bag of toasted oat bran under their brand name in the hot cereal section, and the bulk bins at Whole Foods. Hope you find some soon, and if not, there is always Amazon. Bob’s Red Mill is probably my favorite, but I also like the Quaker stuff.

Erin @ Naturally Addicted June 8, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Nom nom nom… that blueberry cornbread looks delicious! I have tons of cornmeal left over from making batches and batches of cornbread this past winter. I need to put it to good use and make this! What a great way to use blueberries! Thanks!!

Amy @ Elephant Eats June 9, 2011 at 3:01 pm

That cornbread looks yummy! Did you make the lemon cream cheese?? If so, what’s the recipe…that sounds delish.

HEAB June 9, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Amy, I did. The recipe is from a cookbook I’m reviewing, but I changed it up a bit. So simple: 8 oz cream cheese softened + zest of 1 lemon + vanilla stevia drops (I used about 6 drops). Spreadable sweet creamy goodness!

Amy @ ElephantEats June 9, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Mmmm, sounds so good…like cheesecake spread. I think I’m going to make this and start topping everything with it :)

Annie@stronghealthyfit June 9, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Blueberries and lemon is such a great combo!

Janiek June 11, 2011 at 8:32 am