When Cornbread Just Won’t Do

by HEAB on June 13, 2011

This morning I really wanted a cinnamon raisin bagel, toasted and smeared with cream cheese. Had no bagel. Had no cream cheese.

Made cinnamon raisin cornbread instead by adding raisins and cinnamon to my Coconut Cornbread recipe.

RaisinCornBread.jpg

Instead of cream cheese, I smeared it with sunflower seed butter melted with a little coconut milk.

RaisinCornBread2.jpg

Was it good? You better believe it. Do I still want a bagel? Yep. ;)

Lauren June 13, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Comfort food is always good…….Cornbread is good but it’s definitely not the same as a bagel! ;)

Samantha June 13, 2011 at 3:17 pm

And now “I” want your cornbread! But alas, no time to make it with the move survey this morning and my hands hurt too bad to mix anything. Egg puff it is! Maybe tomorrow will find you out and about and happening upon somewhere to get your coveted bagel. :)

Holly @ The Runny Egg June 13, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Sometimes I’m better off eating what I’m craving than trying to make a substitute — although what you made here looks really good!

HEAB June 13, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Holly,
Agreed. Should have just gone to get a bagel!

Hannah June 13, 2011 at 3:23 pm

That does look good, but definitely not the same as a bagel. I’m never satisfied if I don’t have exactly what I’m craving, but sometimes you can’t have it and this looks like a really yummy substitute.

Lauren @ Sugar Coated Sisters June 13, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Aren’t cinnamon raisin bagels the best? Before next week, I need to search your cornbread archives for a fabulous recipe to make with chili for a bunch of friends staying near Yosemite.

Pictures are beautiful :)

HEAB June 13, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Lauren,
Thank you and yes, cinnamon raisin bagels are THE BEST. Nothing like ‘em. :)

Ana June 13, 2011 at 3:41 pm

The cornbread looks delicious and the idea of a cinnamon raisin cornbread sound so good!

“Was it good? You better believe it. Do I still want a bagel? Yep. ;)
Hahaha, I ike this last phrase!

Kelsey June 13, 2011 at 3:41 pm

AND…now I’m craving a cinnamon raisin bagel! And cornbread!

YUM :)

Kelly @foodiefresh June 13, 2011 at 3:42 pm

I love that you do interesting things with cornbread. I love cornbread but haven’t really gotten out of the box with it yet.

HEAB June 13, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Kelly,
We have so much cornmeal, and we never buy bread. Therefore, whenever I crave something bready, cornbread it is. Stop buying bread, and I’m pretty sure you’d start thinking outside the box as well. ;)

Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews June 13, 2011 at 4:02 pm

I’ve never thought of that before! What a great idea.

Jess June 13, 2011 at 4:07 pm

You just reminded me that I have an unopened sack of cornmeal that really needs to be made into something delicious. Thanks for the inspiration : )

HEAB June 13, 2011 at 7:17 pm

Jess,
Welcome. Enjoy your cornbread! :)

Emilia @ namaste gurl June 13, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Mmmm, I always love HEABified foods– particularly this one :) You had me at cinnamon and raisin! You and Ashley are on similar corn kicks right now :)

Tangy June 13, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Yes, definitely not the same as a bagel slathered in cream cheese. I’m embarrassed how much cream cheese I use, hehe. But this looks a bit easier on the waistline!

HEAB June 13, 2011 at 7:17 pm

Tangy,
I love a good schmear of cream cheese. No shame in that – it’s so good!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga June 13, 2011 at 4:18 pm

sunflower seed butter melted with a little coconut milk = oooooh that sounds so good! I love my SFSB and I bet thinned out w/ coconut milk it would be so good. I’d probably use that as salad dressing rather than just a spread for bread. Everything is better sweet, right? Even salads :)

And when you try to use one food to stand-in for another that you are truly pining away for…it rarely works. Don’t I know. But it was a good effort :)

HEAB June 13, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Averie,
I’ve been using the SFSB straight up as a salad dressing. Just drizzle it right on top of my veggies. CD looks at me like I’m crazy. You’d think he’d be used to my combos by now! ;)

Amelia June 13, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Have you tried the “Food For Life” cinnamon raisin bread? It’s the same company that makes Ezekiel bread. It reminds me of a cinnamon raisin bagel and makes some pretty delicious french toast too!

I have had a bagel craving this week also. I was thinking about throwing together a batch of dough and making a few varieties of flavors. Kevin goes wild for homemade bagels!

HEAB June 13, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Amelia,
I have, and I love it. Love anything cinnamon raisiny. :)
Never made homemade bagels. Hmm, maybe I’ll experiment later this week. I really need a donut baking pan!

The Teenage Taste June 13, 2011 at 5:15 pm

That is SO weird. This morning at school my best friend ate a cinnamon raisin bagel and ever since then I’ve been craving one like crazy!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) June 13, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Sometimes substitutions just don’t work. It looks and sounds delicious! Tony wishes there was a good gluten free sub for bagels, but sadly, no, there isn’t.

HEAB June 13, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Sarena,
I almost bought the Udi’s, but they were too expensive. No good, huh?

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) June 14, 2011 at 10:01 am

Well, in our opinion, it’s not a bagel, but bagel shaped bread. It’s good, but just not the same.

lindsay June 13, 2011 at 5:51 pm

dang that sounds good. I crave those bagels with melted butter. I’ll take the cornbread too, with jalapenos!

HEAB June 13, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Lindsay,
I was this close to buying the Udi’s bagels but then put them back. $6.00 for bagels? Just couldn’t do it. :(

katie @KatieDid June 13, 2011 at 6:04 pm

hahah, once you get an idea of something you want, not just anything will do. The thought of a thick doughy bagel sounds so good to me right now.

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate June 13, 2011 at 6:13 pm

I totally had a bagel for breakfast this morning. So good.

HEAB June 13, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Matt,
Don’t rub it in. Jealous!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) June 13, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Dontcha love having to eat around a craving? Or choosing to? That damn craving is still there. But your cornbread looked a darn close 2nd to me. At least it was a CARBBBBBB.

Caitlin June 13, 2011 at 7:19 pm

I love that instead of falling for a bagel smothered in cream cheese you made your own modified version, which Im sure tasted even better! Cant wait to give this a try!

Shelby June 13, 2011 at 7:24 pm

LOVE what you did to regular old cornbread. Must try asap! I haven’t had raisins in forever.

Oh and I’ve been trying to keep sugar out of my diet but summer = froyo and I just can’t fight it ;)

Marty June 13, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Ahhh, cinnamon raisin English muffins please, with lots of ghee or Earth Balance! Since they’re not GF, I’ll go for your corn bread, yah!

michelle June 13, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Now I can’t stop thinking about coconut cornbread with cinnamon and raisins.

Marty June 13, 2011 at 7:50 pm

I have some pumpkin seed butter I love, but a little salty, bet some melted coconut oil mixed with that would be good too – geesh, why’d I never think of that! Thanks Heather for the idea! ;-)

Erica June 13, 2011 at 8:00 pm

Yum! I want to try something similar with dried cherries and … Hmm

Eden June 13, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Hmmm. I’m beginning to miss that cinnamon raisin bread I made last week….sigh

Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) June 13, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Okay, that’s definitely no bagel, but that cornbread still looks delicious! I personally love bagels, and used to have a mandatory Bagel Friday rule.. sadly D.C. does NOT have a good supply of bagel shops.. I miss the amazing ones I used to find on basically ever corner of NYC when I was in grad school.. Hope you’re having a great Monday!
-Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter)
ps. BTW, I used to be the Pancake Girl ;-) , but I started a new blog for a fresh blogging start..

Hannah June 13, 2011 at 10:38 pm

I kneel at the alter of your magnficence! So much want!

Ameena June 13, 2011 at 11:03 pm

I’ve given up on trying to substitute something healthier for what I really want. Sometimes a good bagel just totally hits the spot!

Roz June 13, 2011 at 11:18 pm

Hi Heather. It made me laugh that you still wanted the bagel. Despite that, this DOES look delicious. Have a great day.

CookiePie June 14, 2011 at 7:15 am

OK, now I want a cinnamon-raisin bagel with cream cheese AND your yummy cornbread! Help!

Riss June 14, 2011 at 9:38 am

Your pictures are looking lovely, Heather!! Oh, how I wish you could share with me! I’m sitting at school, about to head to another class and my tummy is not particularly happy with me at the moment!

Ragnhild June 14, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Ah, this really made me crave corn bread! Beautiful pictures, looks deliocious!!

Meghan @ StruggleMuffins June 14, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Ahhh yes, the call of the bagel craving is a strong one! One that can be answered with a bagel, and only a bagel, because even tastyfied substitutes like cornbread fall short of creating the bageldorphins you’re body’s calling for. (And yes, bageldorphins would be the endorphins you get when you eat a bagel ahthankyou!)

Jill June 14, 2011 at 7:32 pm

I’m catching up on your posts b/c my computer’s been broken for several days and is finally fixed, and this post made me laugh because I had a similar thing happen today. I went to the last of my nurse residency classes and they had Gigi’s cupcakes for us. I’d already eaten breakfast (and I’m definitely not one of those girls who just has a miniscule bowl of cereal-LOL) and really hate to eat that much sugar in the morning because it seems to make me crave it all.day. So I told myself that I was not actually hungry and did not need a cupcake at 8:30 am, and I swear to you that the darn cupcakes just called my name the entire 4 hours!!

So yes, I understand the whole “not as good” thing :-) If someone could just make buttercream-flavored (and textured) broccoli, I’d be totally set.

Green Groats June 14, 2011 at 9:09 pm

This looks awesome! I love the sunbutter + coconut topping :)