A Living List

by HEAB on June 16, 2011

Not long ago, I read a thread about Live Lists in the Goddess Circle, not a list of stuff to do before you die, but a list of stuff to do while you’re ALIVE. It got me thinking about a list of my own. Wanna hear it?

• Get certified to teach pre-natal yoga here.  I practiced yoga throughout my pregnancy, and I truly believe it helped prepare my body for labor and delivery.  I would love to be able to give the gift of yoga to other mamas-to-be.

That’s me, nine months preggo in Dancer’s Pose.

• Milk a cow and churn my own butter.  Something I’ve always wanted to do. Weird?  Perhaps.
  • Paint more watercolors.  I don’t know much about painting, but I love playing around with my watercolor set.  So fun!

Using this as a guide, I recently painted the above card for a special friend

• Take a photography and photo editing class.
  • Visit China, Mongolia, Thailand, Vietnam – This one is going to take a while.
  • Go mountain trekking in Nepal – Another one that might take a while, but I will drink tea with Sherpas after many miles of trekking someday.
  • Make this tent & camp out overnight with Summer in our backyard.
  • Refinish a piece of furniture and fall in love with it – I’m thinking something along the lines of this.
  • Shop more often at flea markets/consignment shops and find amazing pieces of furniture that simply need a little love…see above.
  • Buy a house in the mountains and spend the days playing with the fam. while staring at our inexpensive, but beautifully refinished furniture. ;)
  • Buy some funky Chuck Taylors and wear them without socks. I have never owned a pair. Sad, no?
  • Get a sewing machine and learn to sew so I can make a skirt like this.
  • Rest the entire upper half of my body on the floor in wide-legged seated forward fold. I aspire to this…

It will happen.  Just gotta loosen up my hamstrings a bit.

What’s on your list?

Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews June 16, 2011 at 9:09 pm

I love the pregnancy photo of you! I would love to learn more about prenatal yoga before I have a baby one day.

Stephanie June 16, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Oh yeah: I’ve got a yoga pose on my list. And I’d like to go to Antarctica. And I sometimes fantasise about building a house, but I think doing renos to make *my* perfect house would be good enough. After all, I’m just worried about the bathrooms and kitchens. :D

That’s a great list, though. I’m stoked to watch you go through it! Love lists…

Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! June 16, 2011 at 9:22 pm

This list is awesome, and so do-able! I haven’t really given much thought to what would be on my list, but one thing i’ve always wanted to do is to write and record an album or original songs.

Veronica June 16, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Nice thoughts.

An unrelated story I wanted to share. A coworker of my friend’s was due to give birth yesterday. One day prior she had an acupuncture treatment and the very next day she had the baby while in the bathtub! The two may be unrelated, but I wonder if this urged it along somehow.

Perhaps an incentive to try acupuncture if you should ever find yourself in future wanting to speed up the birthing process!

HEAB June 17, 2011 at 10:16 am

Veronica,
I’ve had friends try acupuncture when their babies were late in arriving. Summer came early, and my labor was short. So, thankfully no needles required for me, but I know others swear by it.

Amy June 16, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Learn to can veggies!

Learn the piano

Learn to garden!

Love your list :)

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing June 16, 2011 at 9:28 pm

I love this idea. The manfriend and I make these lists together periodically throughout the year (to reevaluate whether we’re still on board with the goals or not), and it is a total blast. It makes me giddy to see it on our fridge! Right now, some on my personal list are: to learn how to kayak for real (I have a lesson 9-3 tomorrow — yesss), to volunteer in an oncology ward, to sew some clothes this summer, to be hospitable as often as I can, and to read for fun. Workin’ on that one… ;) It’s a hard transition after so much academic reading, ha!

HEAB June 17, 2011 at 10:15 am

Katie,
Hope the lesson went well today!

The Healthy Hipster June 16, 2011 at 9:30 pm

I love your list, Heather! So many of these goals are so empowering and awesome. I remember when I learned how to sew it was the greatest feeling, like for the first time I actually knew how to see something through from start to finish. Not unlike when I learned how to cook.

Also I’m thinking of posting some thrifting tips on the blogginz soon so stay tuned!

HEAB June 17, 2011 at 10:15 am

Ooh, cool. I need thrifting tips. So not my thing, but I want it to be.

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood June 16, 2011 at 9:35 pm

Learn to grow Swiss chard, Brussels sprouts, and share the fruits of my labor with a very special friend<3

Learn to finish revising my novel of 10 years and finally find a literary agent to publish it!

Learn to eat healthy and lose the extra poundage!

Learn to love exercise!

And finally, learn to be happy and love all others around me:)

tea-bag June 16, 2011 at 9:37 pm

i love this – let’s not wait till we’re close to kicking the bucket to write our “bucket list!”
mine would be to see the 7 wonders of the world.
to travel to every continent.
to show my mom how much i love her. (this one might be the hardest of all. i love her very much!)

Holly @ The Runny Egg June 16, 2011 at 9:43 pm

I want to learn to ballroom dance, to speak Spanish, to travel to Europe, to be a Mom, to be at peace about the relationship I have with my sister — whether that means we make up or break up, I’m not sure, but I want to be at peace about it.

Quix June 16, 2011 at 9:45 pm

This is great! I kinda do this each year with resolutions, I try to plan the “bucket list” of things I’m going to do each year. This year, some things on the list are more reading for pleasure (school ruined me here too), run a race in a different state, and visit a new city (knocking both of those out in one fell swoop).

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats June 16, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Hi Heather – first, I love the new look of your blog – and the posts too :) Second, you might really like Kimberly Wilson’s blog and books – Hip Tranquil Chick and Tranquilista are the books, and her blog is called Tranquility du Jour and can be linked off her kimberlywilson website. She owns the yoga studio I go to, and has a great philosophy on melding yoga with artistic play and visioning, much like your list :)

HEAB June 17, 2011 at 10:13 am

Valerie,
Cool, I’ll check it out – thanks!

Dorry June 16, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Oh, I love your list! The tent is so magical. I have a long list! One thing on the list is to study and learn Spanish (I’m barely conversational right now)- Billy speaks it fluently and we want to teach our kids. :)

HEAB June 17, 2011 at 10:13 am

Dorry,
I think that is awesome. I would love for Summer to learn another language.

Cynthia (It All Changes) June 16, 2011 at 9:55 pm

I love your list. I’d dream of the day to be able to do that pose but I’ll stand for doing a good dancer pose non-pregnant.

I love that you want to sew. I learned to enjoy sewing from a very young age and I miss making clothes occasionally now that I quilt all the time.

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) June 16, 2011 at 10:05 pm

The photo of you doing dancer’s with the fall foliage- amazing. The owls- fabulous. What a fun list. I can’t say that I have one!? I guess I’m short sighted- just getting to the next thing/trip etc successfully, I’m happy.

Jess June 16, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Love this list! I’ve kept little lists of goals buried in notebooks at different times, but only realized this year that I seriously needed to start branching away from just work goals! I kind of forgot the need to dream for a little while (thanks, grad school…), but it’s made a huge difference—letting music back into my life, practicing yoga regularly. I’d like to have a meditation room one day. I also talk a lot about one day going to culinary school maybe.

Angel7 June 16, 2011 at 10:14 pm

I love the card you drew! Good job :)

My list of things I would like to do:
1. I would like to do some sort of Christian missionary work.
2. I would like to start a garden.
3. I would love to visit Bora Bora.

Amber from Berlinswhimsy June 16, 2011 at 10:24 pm

What a great idea to make a list of things to do while LIVING! Your list is very inspiring. I’d love to visit the spots you mention here—I hope it comes to fruition for you someday. I’m always amazed at the photos from Mongolia and Nepal.

And you already know how I feel about sewing—- it’s so worth it! :-)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga June 16, 2011 at 10:40 pm

I love your list!
Travel. Big one for me. India, Southeast Asia, Africa, Europe…pretty much get my passport ready to be stamped.

Photography. In any and all forms. Learn it, live it, do it, breathe it.

Buy photography and camera stuff.

Do more yoga. And a tip for you with that pose…just do it, every.day. Hang out there for 5 mins while you’re watching tv (yeah right as if you probably watch tv) but just do it. It’s one of those poses that you have to have consistency for it. And really hot/humid rooms help too :)

HEAB June 17, 2011 at 10:11 am

Averie,
I do the pose every night while CD feeds Summer her last bottle. I sit on the floor of the nursery and wrap my yoga strap around her crib post to help pull myself forward and down. I’ll get there. Plus, it feels so good to just stretch at the end of the day!

Christin@purplebirdblog June 16, 2011 at 10:41 pm

I love this! And even more, I love that photo of your preggo self doing dancer’s pose… my non-preggo pose doesn’t even look that awesome! I covet that owl card. And I just got my first pair of Chucks 2 years ago, black with white stars, that I put magenta laces in. I love them so. My list includes a lot of things including traveling to India, Australia, Japan, Scotland, and Norway (hopefully massage therapy will afford me the time and resources to do these things!), and I also want to learn to sew, specificially to make skirts and PJ pants; cook my first Thanksgiving dinner (this year!!); own several BIG dogs (not while I’m a renter!); go skydiving; cross-stitch something (started a project years ago, want to try again)… I could go on! :)

HEAB June 17, 2011 at 10:09 am

Christin,
Two words for your travel aspirations: Continuing Ed! ;)

Christin@purplebirdblog June 17, 2011 at 11:22 am

Hahhahah oh yes, we had a tax guy come speak to us at school and he mentioned this as well! :D

Kaleigh June 16, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Great list! And I do think its absolutely tragic you haven’t had chuck taylors thus far in your life! It most certainly must be done!

Hannah June 16, 2011 at 11:03 pm

My list needs to involve getting you to change your list so that Australia is a travel option too ;)

HEAB June 17, 2011 at 10:08 am

Hannah,
Ah yes, since I’ve already been, it’s kind of low on the list, but I would love to go back and definitely hope to visit New Zealand someday!

Pamela June 16, 2011 at 11:14 pm

What a great list! I keep yearly bucket lists, and two on my list will be knocked out this summer: skydive (eek!) and move to a new city (Denver!). Go me! :)

HEAB June 17, 2011 at 10:07 am

Go Pamela! Denver is awesome. Love Colorado! :)

Tulika June 16, 2011 at 11:17 pm

Love the list, it’s definitely an achievable one! I’ve never really thought of a Live List, all I know is that more than visiting certain places, I have this urge to live in certain places (New York City, San Fransisco…is it obvious I like big cities?) even for a year or so. I also have a few yoga poses on my list as well…sigh, to have looser hamstrings!

Samantha June 16, 2011 at 11:41 pm

Love your list, all wonderful things and a great mix of easily doable and a little more work to get there. The outdoor tent is precious and your pregnancy yoga photo rocks! I’ll never be able to do the latter, I can’t even do a standing forward bend with straight legs!

Molly June 17, 2011 at 12:09 am

I love your list! I share several of your aspirations. I will be crossing off one of our shared items on monday when I leave for China! I will be going to Beijing for a month to teach English. Like you I thought it would be years before I made it to China- so you never know! Your trips may be sooner rather than later :)

HEAB June 17, 2011 at 10:06 am

Molly,
That is awesome. So happy and excited for you! And so true, you NEVER know. :)

Dea June 17, 2011 at 2:51 am

Ohhh love!
I have some yoga things on my list, but they are more strength, I want to do them!
I’m going to make a list, but first I need to ponder and think about what’s really important. There will be a lot of travel!

Tiff June 17, 2011 at 6:08 am

Great list! I have a sewing machine, but learning to actually use it is on my list.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) June 17, 2011 at 6:39 am

Ok, I want to do some of that list too! I would love to milk a cow and churn my own butter. I’ve churned butter before, but never milked a cow. I want to sew skirts too. I love A-line skirts and I always see such cute fabric. I have a sewing machine, but sadly haven’t ever used it. I want to start practicing yoga more often. I feel like I need to be more limber. I’m working on getting the land and peaceful place to live now that I’m in TN. Everyday I keep my eye on the prize! Oh and Chucks…they are the best! Max just stole my pair and now I need a new pair. It’s a strange turn of events when my kids start stealing my clothes and I do the same to them. I love my Chucks though.

Great list Heather!

Kath (My Funny Little Life) June 17, 2011 at 6:50 am

What a great list, Heather! Here’re some items from mine:

- Become a devine piano player.
- Become a very good scientist.
- Be mindful and peaceful inside every day.
- Write a book.
- Visit Samarkand (and a lot of other places, but Samarkand would be #1 priority).
- Start running.
- Marry. I don’t know whom, but I think it would be a good thing to do, some day.

Claudine @ The Kathmanduo June 17, 2011 at 7:07 am

I love your list! Some yoga poses are also on my list – one day I would love to be able to get into Scorpion. And why not Hurdler’s pose while we’re at it? Of course, travel is always on my list: Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Morocco, and the list goes on. But I am currently ticking one thing off my list: living in Nepal! Maybe I will still be here when you make it to the Himalayas (our recent trek on the Annapurna Circuit was amazing and life-changing).

HEAB June 17, 2011 at 10:04 am

Claudine,
I’ll get there someday – really hope you’re still around to take me on some of your favorite treks. I’ll bring you a food processor. ;)

Monika June 17, 2011 at 7:09 am

-visit Southeast Asia
-become a published photographer (nat geo maybe??)
-elope
-run a sub 4:00 marathon
-get my natural hair color back!

Baking 'n' Books June 17, 2011 at 7:12 am

That’s a great list. I’m confident you will achieve most of them – or end up doing what your meant to be doing.

And with Summer – I’m sure the water painting will be fun (and messy!) for both of you!

Hmm, my list? To write for a living, to finally feel at ease and at peace with myself. To be able to not have a schedule or a boss and take a whole day or an afternoon in the week to just walk by a beach…in like Hawaii…what “it may take awhile” right? ;)

nikki June 17, 2011 at 7:22 am

Isn’t that a great thing? To really LIVE your life and fill it with the important things that you really want to do? Everyone should have a list like this. GREAT post, HEAB!

A few of mine:
- travel to all 7 continents at least once in my life. Antarctica included – i’ll probably go down on a research vessel when the time comes.
- sky dive
- fall in love, with the right man
- visit the grand canyon
- camp in yellowstone

katie @KatieDid June 17, 2011 at 7:33 am

Lists are so inspiring to me! I actually have a post nearly written for today or tomorrow about my summer bucket list! I also have a pretty long living- list also.
-live in a big city
-visit telluride, CO for a music festival
- have a vegetable and fruit garden
-be best friends with my child/ children

HEAB June 17, 2011 at 10:02 am

Katie,
I have always wanted to go the Telluride Bluegrass Festival. It’s happening right now. I want to be there…sockless…in a pair of Chucks…under a tent with Summer. :)

Abby @ Have Dental Floss, Will Travel June 17, 2011 at 7:36 am

Heather, I LOVE this list. And now I totally want a pair of chucks.

Kellie June 17, 2011 at 7:45 am

Heather,
Check out http://iheartfaces.ning.com/. It’s a great photography community (free) and all levels of photographers.

HEAB June 17, 2011 at 10:01 am

Great, thanks Kellie. I will. :)

Cate June 17, 2011 at 7:48 am

Girl, you gotta get on them Chucks. Heck, now I want a new pair since I wore my old black ones to ribbons!

I’d really like to run a half-marathon someday, go to the UK, and learn to surf. And I want to try yoga but am slightly afraid of it. Odd.

HEAB June 17, 2011 at 10:00 am

Cate,
Nothing to fear. :)

Maggie @ Say Yes to Salad June 17, 2011 at 7:48 am

That last one is one of my goals as well. I’m close-ish… but my hips and hamstrings are always too tight.

I also bought a sewing machine (back in CA) and I *never* used it. A goal is to make something! I even bought fabric to make a cute laptop case and never did it.

Had to google chuck taylors – I have a pair of keds that are similar. Very cute!

On my list… I don’t even know! I want to speak French more and get fluent, I want to live in a more nature-y place (I don’t know if this means in the country or just somewhere not in the city..), and I want to take some cooking classes, I want to have a kid, … So many!

Meagan June 17, 2011 at 8:10 am

I am surprised by your list. A few things I thought would be on there or not, and a few other things on there I didn’t think would be there! What’s the lure about drinking tea with Sherpas? That would require being cold?

HEAB June 17, 2011 at 9:59 am

Meagan,
I have wanted to go mountain trekking ever since I read Into Thin Air in the mid-90′s. Why I wanted to go after reading about such a tragic event, I’m not sure. I have no desire whatsoever to climb Everest or even do the trek to Base Camp. I just want to see that part of the world – it sounds so beautiful and amazing, and all the tea will keep me warm.

Rachel (tea and chocolate) June 17, 2011 at 8:51 am

That’s a great idea to do a living list. One goal on my list would be to travel to every continent. I love that picture of you in dancer’s pose, by the way. Really beautiful.

brandi June 17, 2011 at 9:00 am

I love this, Heather :) What a great list!

And you’ve NEVER had Chuck Taylors?!? We need to fix that. When’s your birthday? :)

I had a pair in the “raspberry” color in college and they were my FAVORITE.

HEAB June 17, 2011 at 9:57 am

Brandi,
January 2. ;)

brandi June 17, 2011 at 10:03 am

well, we could celebrate your HALF birthday on July 2nd :)

HEAB June 17, 2011 at 10:19 am

Haha – yes, we could. :)

Meghan @ StruggleMuffins June 17, 2011 at 9:12 am

I love your list, such a great mix of on-the-horizon and off-in-the-distance goals! Just from knowing what I know about you from having read your blog, I know you’d make a wonderful prenatal yoga teacher. Teacher training is an amazing experience, you should definitely do it. And get a pair of chucks, STAT! (and maybe some tiny, barely visible socks to wear with them, because they can put a hurtin’ on bare feet haha)

HEAB June 17, 2011 at 9:56 am

Meghan,
Haha – roger that. Socks with Chucks! :)

Alyssa June 17, 2011 at 9:58 am

Yeah, you’d be a GREAT pre-natal yoga teacher!!!!!!

I was watching the Tony awards last week and it renewed my desire to dance on Broadway. And while that will never happen (I’m a bit of a klutz, in my 40′s, live in California, and no longer perform professionally), I DID find a tap class I can take!
I’m also headed back to school. I’m thinking of becoming a drama therapist.

anne June 17, 2011 at 10:01 am

In regard to items 5 & 6 on your list… I studied abroad in college. My group traveled all over SE Asia including Thailand, India, Burma (Myanmar) and Bhutan. We spent about two weeks hiking the Himalayan mountains in Bhutan. It was a life changing experience. Definitely an awesome addition to your living list!!

HEAB June 17, 2011 at 10:18 am

Anne,
Wow, I bet it was amazing. Thanks for the encouragement. I’ll get to all those places someday! :)

Danielle June 17, 2011 at 10:18 am

On my blog, I started chronicling my DIY projects in the home my husband and I just bought. I refinished my childhood beaten up desk with black high gloss paint, lime green details, and fixtures that are black and whited striped with green knobs. It was love at first modern site!

Amelia June 17, 2011 at 10:24 am

Great list! I wish I could get into yoga, but haven’t found a class style that I love. I am really bad in the flexibility department too. I have some of the tightest hamstrings ever!

I really can’t even think of where to start with a list. I’m sure that my list right now is going to be very different from what it will be like after children. Do you think your list is different now that you have had Summer?

HEAB June 17, 2011 at 10:31 am

Amelia,
Good question. Hadn’t thought about that until you mentioned it, and honestly, no, my list has hardly changed at all since having Summer. Being pregnant and having her added the desire to teach prenatal yoga to my heart, and also, I never really wanted to make that tent and camp out in the backyard by myself.

Having a baby hasn’t really changed my goals in my life, but I’ve always wanted to be a mom. Therefore, I’ve always had that in mind when thinking about my future. :)

keishua June 17, 2011 at 10:30 am

Lovely list. I would love to do the last one, too. I hope I am getting there. I have a life list, too. It has a 100 things but I am thinking of shaving it down.

Sarah June 17, 2011 at 10:37 am

I love your list! I really like the refurnishing point. I love DIY projects and when I was younger my mom and I would spend a weekend re-doing furniture. It’s so much fun to transform a dud piece of furniture into something special.

HEAB June 17, 2011 at 10:40 am

Sarah,
That is so cool. I hope Summer can say the same some day. :)

Melissa B. June 17, 2011 at 11:13 am

I love your lists!

My list includes: doing the full yoga scorpion pose, seeing the Northern Lights, visiting much much more of Europe, visiting the Pyramids, grow a large veggie garden, and get a dog.

I am a certified yoga teacher, but have not taught since college :( I always say I would do only that if I ever win the lottery!

Heather June 17, 2011 at 11:15 am

Great post!

A short snippet from my list:
- Become a registered counselling psychologist
- Travel to Nepal/South America, summit a huge peak
- Do a triathalon
- Enter a cycling race
- Write a children’s book

Heather June 17, 2011 at 11:16 am

I am making that as soon as possible!

Shelby June 17, 2011 at 11:42 am

I took a photo class in high school but I miss it so much! When I finally decided what I want to do in college, I think I’ll take another class. I love it.

I want to travel the world. Not just one part, but at least one or two countries on each continent. There’s a travel site that (first of all costs a crapload of money) takes you on a private jet to multiple locations. You can pick between a couple different tours but I want to take them all!

Miranda (Untamed Kitchen) June 17, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Love your list! Trekking in Nepal has been on my list ever since my freshman year of college when I went through a major “Mt. Everest” phase. My small university in northern Missouri had a significant number of exchange students from Nepal, and some of them were Sherpas. I remember being so excited to find out that they were Sherpas because I’d just read “Into Thin Air” by Jon Krakauer, and I was obsessed with everything Everest/Nepal/Sherpa related. I still kind of am…

Ana June 17, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Learn sigh language
Become a nutritionist and RD. I just can’t wait until I am able to work with nutrition!
Love the skirt idea, so cool!

Ana June 17, 2011 at 12:32 pm

I mean “sign” language…!

Erin @ Naturally Addicted June 17, 2011 at 12:49 pm

I love this post! I definitely have a few yoga poses on my list!!
I also would like to travel more and my number 1 spot I want to go to is Croatia!

Chad @ thebreakupnote June 17, 2011 at 2:05 pm

hmmmm coming up with this list will take some serious thought, for me.

hmmmmmmm

Maria @ Beautiful Busy Bee June 17, 2011 at 2:35 pm

The last one!! I definitely dan’t do that but if I taught myself (practiced) I would feel so accomplished! :)

charlotte June 17, 2011 at 2:42 pm

I love reading about all yoru different interests! That card is ADORABLE! And those skirts are super cute too. I have no doubt you will get the wide-legged forward fold as well:)

HEAB June 18, 2011 at 6:16 am

Charlotte,
I totally envy your forward fold. It’s beautiful. :)

Kiran June 17, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Great list Heather. How’s Summer doing? Missing her :) I would love to start a business. Hopefully soon. That’s one item on my list :)

Liz @ iheartvegetables June 17, 2011 at 4:50 pm

I’d like to teach piano to children who can’t afford it. I taught piano in college and loved it, and I’d like to be able to do that for kids who don’t get the chance :)

Felicia (Natural + Balanced) June 17, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Come to my house and milk and goat and make your own cheese!! Love that first photo :)

The Delicate Place June 17, 2011 at 7:09 pm

i love your first photo. also, nate had both milked cows and churned butter. i blame this on his family being from lancaster county haha. in 2006, i was supposed to go to nepal but because of the political unrest, i spent the entire month in india just miles from the nepali border :( i stayed with nepalis living in northeast india and they were some of the friendliest and most beautiful people i’ve ever encountered! in high school i went through an emo phase where all i wore were my black chucks with everything even dresses lol.

my list is to: 1. not be a scientist for the rest of my life
2. open up a cute store that sells artisinal pickled items
3. go to turkey next year and stop in paris again to visit my bro in law
4. go back to new zealand but this time with my husband
5. renovate an old victorian house so it looks like the inside of anthropologie

Rhonda June 17, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Heather,
Just found your blog. Love it! I to can not eat any sugar or white stuff either, gluten too. Thanks for your hard work, your recipes are great. By the way, your water color is beautiful! Keep painting : ) You need to frame it.

HEAB June 17, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Rhonda,
Thanks so much – I’m glad you found me, and yes, I will keep painting. Promise. :)

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama June 17, 2011 at 8:24 pm

Okay, that tent and yard camping with my little girl just got added to my “living list”. Love it!

Annie June 17, 2011 at 9:34 pm

I sooooo want to churn my own butter!! I have my Great Grandmothers butter churner thingee and I plan on using it someday… fo sho… my live list has over a hundred things on it… from teach a class in my community to watch the great migration in Africa… from completing my masters to talking with an english accent for a week… LOL.. life is FUN!

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli June 17, 2011 at 9:47 pm

LOVE your list! I thought those owls looked familiar! I saw them on your pin board a few days ago! Your watercolor version looks almost spot on! Super cute!

I really want to get into more creative DIY stuff. My imagination needs some help these days but I would love to be able to look at something and see so much more…problem is sometimes I see it, but have NO CLUE how to make it happen!

michelle June 17, 2011 at 10:02 pm

I love your list…all attainable I’m sure. A goal I can’t stop thinking about is feeding my family with ‘mostly’ organic and eventually meat free. I’d really like to try the 100 mile challenge.

Eden June 18, 2011 at 12:58 am

Oh bloggers and their lists…. ;)

I must say though. I got a 500 certified yoga teacher training and it was one of the best experiences in my life. I did a few pre natal workshops and I had to take a class while wearing a “belly”. Anyhow, it was tough! My water broke before savasna…actually, I pretty much aborted it.

HEAB June 18, 2011 at 6:17 am

Eden,
Haha, totally channeling you with this list, and I think it would be really hard going from having no belly to having one. At least with pregnancy, it grows on you…well, until those last few weeks when all of a sudden it’s like you’re wearing a bowling ball…that kicks you. But truth be told, I miss those little kicks. :)

lena June 18, 2011 at 3:55 am

Hi Heather, did you paint that picture? it’s beautiful if you did. :) think water colour’s your element. :)

HEAB June 18, 2011 at 6:18 am

Lena,
Yes, I did. Thanks so much. :)

Lindsay June 18, 2011 at 8:21 am

Heather!! You’re painting is incredible! You’re so talented!! More painting,, more painting. On your list needs to be: 1. Start an etsy shop and sell my cards. Absolutely beautiful. I would purchase in a heartbeat.

I often think about a list of things I want to do/need to do. Just a few from my list. Here goes:

1. Work on negative self talk
2. Stop complaining so much
3. Think of exercise as less of a chore. Stop thinking about how I hate it and just do it (without thinking so much about it)
4.learn how to use my beautiful dslr
5. Get to australia

HEAB June 18, 2011 at 8:44 am

Lindsay,
#2 – I need to work on that as well. I complain too much, and as far as the exercise goes, are there activities you enjoy? I find that when I walk or hike or take a good yoga class, I look forward to exercise so much more. If it’s something I don’t enjoy, then I dread it…and complain. ;)

Thanks for you kind words regarding the painting. I had a lot of fun with it.

Mali Korsten June 18, 2011 at 8:56 am

Aw, I used to be able to do the forward fold just like that when I was younger and still did ballet! Unfortunately my supple days are behind me!

kelly marie June 18, 2011 at 2:12 pm

I just starting reading your blog…thanks for sharing your story, the living list is a GREAT idea….I have been checking things off my bucket list for YEARS. Marathon check, buy a home check, marriage check, and most recently, write a book check and a figure competition check!

Alison @ The Peacock Diaries June 18, 2011 at 2:36 pm

I love Life Lists! I spent a good amount of time working on mine (which is still a work in progress that I know will change over time). I think yours is so fun — the milking a cow/churning butter idea is great!

Here are a few things on my list:

-Take a bike trip through Italy
-Run over the Brooklyn Bridge at sunrise
-Own a Chanel jacket (“gently used” would be fine;) )
-Learn how to drive, again (I have my license but kind of forgot how)
-Ride Dumbo at all 5 Disney parks
-Go to the Oscars (I see non-famous people in some of those seats!)
-Learn how to use my DSLR

PS — Your watercolor is amazing!

HEAB June 18, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Thanks Alison, and I love your list. How cool would it be to get to see the Oscars live! I expect a full report..and AMAZING pics with your DSLR. :)

Miava June 18, 2011 at 4:17 pm

I love this “live list”! What fun! I lime the name better than “bucket list” and especially since people raise eyebrows at it. So now I’ll tell them it’s my ‘live list’ instead.

One item on my list was to spend Halloween in Salem Mass. I did that just this last Oct and it was a blast. Blast!

And milking a cow and churning it into butter? I grew up doing that! My brother had a milk cow. Mom used the blender to churn it. Not exciting but yummy. :) …..

The cows name was Sadie. Probably the only pet cow in Missouri to die sweetly of old age in her sleep under a shade tree.

HEAB June 18, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Miava,
I had no idea you could churn butter in a blender. Good to know. Blender, check. Now, I just gotta find that cow. ;)
P.S. Loved the story of Sadie the cow.

Pure2raw twins June 18, 2011 at 4:33 pm

I sure hope I look at as good as you did when pregnant. I sure miss yoga. I am not sure why I cannot stick with it. It is mind, cant stop it from running all the time, but I know yoga is what I need so bad in my life right.

Love the idea of a living list ;)

HEAB June 18, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Pure2Raw,
My mind is hard to slow down as well. I find I do much better in a studio setting than at home – at least for longer classes, and one of my teachers once gave me the best tip. Focus on a 2 word mantra throughout class. Inhale with one word and exhale with the other. Mine is often “For Me”, and I just concentrate on those 2 words – really helps me focus.

Pure2raw twins June 18, 2011 at 6:18 pm

what great advice! yes I do much better in a studio setting. It is a goal of mine to get back. Thanks for the push.

Lee June 18, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Touch my toes
Grow my own vegetables

Katie @ peacebeme June 19, 2011 at 7:16 pm

I love this concept of a living list. It really highlights living life to the fullest and enjoying all of these experiences.

On mine: find a way to practice healthcare again, write a novel, visit Morocco, and live in a foreign country (for at least 3 or 4 months). :)

April June 20, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Heather, I have to tell you, I just LOVE the idea of a “Living List”… and I really enjoyed reading and found inspiration in your list. Thank you.

Lorne April 17, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Hey Heather,
I stumbled across this post while looking for something else I remember you writing about and just have to say it has really blessed me. I needed reminding to focus on a bit further out than TODAY and that there is still time/space for me to make dreams reality. So thanks !!! :)

Ps – you got your Chucks! Anything else you have checked off???

heathmacd April 18, 2013 at 6:56 am

Hi Lorne,
Too funny – I haven’t looked at this post in a while, and sadly, no, I haven’t checked any of them off except for paint more. So, that’s better than nothing. Surely I can find a cow to milk around here! :)
Glad this post spoke to you, and I hope all is well. Been thinking about you.

{ 6 trackbacks }