Chucks and Quinoa

by HEAB on June 18, 2011

One of the items on my Living List was to buy a funky pair of Chuck Taylors. Well, guess what? You can design your own custom pair!!!

Design #1

Screen shot 2011-06-18 at 6.38.50 AM.png

I am loving bright orange and turquoise blue these days, and they make a fun shoe together, no? Also, notice the blue HEAB on the heel?

Design #2

Screen shot 2011-06-17 at 10.08.27 PM.png

Gray and yellow seem to be a popular color combo today, and I must say I think they pair together lovely in this shoe.

I won’t be getting custom Chucks because by the time you factor in price, tax, and shipping, the cost would be way more than I want to spend. However, I am digging this plain chocolate brown pair, and the non-custom designs are more affordable. I’ll just have to write HEAB on the heel with a Sharpie. :)

Screen shot 2011-06-17 at 10.11.56 PM.png

I’m also still digging on the cinnamon raisin combo…

QuionaParfait.jpg

Quinoa parfait inspired by Sarena: cooked quinoa layered with coconut cream, cinnamon, and raisins.

I’ve been making coconut cream with just water and coconut flour whisked together with my milk frother. I’m kind of obsessed…with both the coconut cream and my milk frother.

To all of the people I owe an email, I will get to you someday. Sorry, but I’ve been too busy designing my own shoes, Pinning, and reading through the archives of Rockstar Diaries. Is anyone else in love with Naomi, Josh, Eleanor, and Kingsley?

Monika June 18, 2011 at 10:23 am

Go for the grey + yellow pair!

kate June 18, 2011 at 10:42 am

gahh I love cinnamon and raisin together I could totally go for a warm piece of cinnamon raisin bread right now!

Katie June 18, 2011 at 10:46 am

I wore chucks all through middle school and high school and they were always covered in sharpie designs. I was custom designing my chucks before it was cool. ;)

Courtney June 18, 2011 at 11:11 am

Awesome! I like the orange and teal pair :)

Alexa @ The Girl In Chucks June 18, 2011 at 11:14 am

I highly recommend funky chucks…you don’t even have to go custom to get funky…a lot of their normal styles are quite…original! ;)

I love my plaid ones from last year…they’re totally worn out and should be retired, but I have a hard time parting with my chucks!

Alison @ The Peacock Diaries June 18, 2011 at 11:15 am

Oooh, I LOVE those. I had no idea, now I want a pair! I think the chocolate brown ones are fun, too (and will look great forever).

And how fun that you can cross something off of your Living List! I have a similar list, it is definitely fun to figure out your dreams (big and small) and go after them!

katie@ Katiedid June 18, 2011 at 11:21 am

How cool! i have plain brown ones myself and i love them. toms are also super comfortable shoes.

HEAB June 19, 2011 at 9:05 am

Katie,
Yes, I’ve heard only good things about Toms.

Melissa @ missmelissblurbs June 18, 2011 at 11:32 am

I love Rockstar Diaries! Totally in love with that family. :)

JT @ The Faux Foodie Girl June 18, 2011 at 11:45 am

love the customized chucks – orange and teal are my favorite summer colors, but since i live in miami, it’s all year round colors!!! thanks for introducing me to the Rockstar Diaries – great read :)

HEAB June 19, 2011 at 9:05 am

JT,
You’re welcome. I’m in love with that blog!

Natalya June 18, 2011 at 12:17 pm

I love the orange and turquoise! Those are my wedding colors! (Next July)

HEAB June 19, 2011 at 9:04 am

Natalya,
It’s going to be a beautiful wedding. :)

lindsay June 18, 2011 at 12:32 pm

i used to have a pair! i love those sneakers. so classic old school! and i used to have a milk frother. Now I am wondering where I put it. haha.
Cheers!
LC

ClaireRose77 June 18, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Yes!! Love the brown ones. I <3 converse and
Have many pairs. I still have a couple pairs from
High school and I'm 34;-)For my oldest niece's
13th birthday I gave her a converse gift
Certificate to design her own. I wish I could.
Hehe:-)cc

The Teenage Taste June 18, 2011 at 1:07 pm

I love all the different colors they have of those shoes now-a-days! The orange are my favorite! :-)

Heather June 18, 2011 at 1:15 pm

I love Chucks! The orange and turquoise are my favorite! In fact, my Husband and I got married in matching orange Chucks. :)

HEAB June 19, 2011 at 9:03 am

Heather, that is great. Love it. :)

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing June 18, 2011 at 1:24 pm

I love those brown Chucks!

tea-bag June 18, 2011 at 1:33 pm

oh memories! i had a high-top pair in elementary school & it had a picture of roadrunner & wile coyote on the side!

Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble June 18, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Writing on Chucks with a Sharpie reminds me of high scool – in a good way. :-)

Sarah June 18, 2011 at 2:08 pm

I love the brown chucks! I’ve always been fan but I dunno if I could pull em off. Not exactly my style, but super cute nonetheless.

HEAB June 19, 2011 at 9:03 am

Sarah,
Do it! :)

Sarah June 19, 2011 at 11:57 am

Haha thanks for the encouragement. I might have to look more into them now :)

Eden June 18, 2011 at 2:26 pm

I’m probably the only idiot who whould actually run in my converse. Hence me being a hunch back and all….

I love coconut cream in my quinoa! I melt the coconut butter with the raisins soak up the coconutiness and then I thicken it up at the end with adding cooked quinoa. I always cook it seperately because I find when i cook it with milk it gets too mushy and more like baby food…but I’m sure summer wouldn’t mind that…

Baking 'n' Books June 18, 2011 at 2:28 pm

I didn’t know they were called Chucks – I always called them ‘tennis shoes’ ;) – and yeah I would save the money too – put HEAB on something more noticeable than the heel of a shoe!

Is the coconut cream a good alternative to cream cheese/frosting??

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) June 18, 2011 at 5:04 pm

The coconut cream is not the same consistency as cream cheese at all. It reminds me more of a sweetened ricotta cream. Although mixed with some coconut oil or butter, it may work?

Mandiee June 18, 2011 at 2:31 pm

I’m obsessed with cinnamon, too! Lately it has inspired me to make cinnamon raisin scones (whose recipe I just posted on my blog today). Even though I don’t like sweets, the combo totally makes me swoon. You gotta love a house that smells sweetly (hopefully that counteracts all of the broccoli I steam? haha.)

Bid June 18, 2011 at 2:54 pm

…i must stop stalking RD for cute new Eleanor photos… what is it with that baby???

;-)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga June 18, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Gray and yellow, for sure. Super cute!

“coconut cream with just water and coconut flour whisked together with my milk frother.”– I dont have that milk frother but have heard rave reviews about it.

And coconut cream…I have SO MUCH coconut flour and if all I have to do is add water to it to make coconut cream, I am there! For some reason, even though I’ve “seen” Sarena’s recipe so many times, I’ve never paid attention to it…til now. Water, flour. I can do that :)

Thanks for the great emails yesterday :)

HEAB June 19, 2011 at 9:01 am

Averie,
Well the original recipe for coconut cream is coconut flour + almond milk + vanilla stevia drops. I’d give Sarena’s version a try first. :)

Susan June 18, 2011 at 4:26 pm

You really cannot beat the comfort of Chuck Taylor’s. I have 3 pairs (none of them custom though). My dad laughs because he says the high tops were a part of his basketball uniform in high school!

Ana June 18, 2011 at 4:38 pm

I LOVE all-stars shoes! I have one pair in plain simple black and another one in jeans (and on this one the stipe on the side of the sole is red instead of black. I have had people stop me at the street and ask me where I bought it since it is so different! – I got it in Brazil).
They are super comfortable, I love them. I have been wearing all-stars (that’s how I always called them) since I was really young, about 6 years old maybe, have had them in different colors and models but I have always (and I do mean always) had a pair of the black since I can remember myself as a person.
When I was growing up, as soon as I outgrew my shoes I would get a new pair of the classic black ones. And after my feet stopped growing a new pair would be in order as soon as the previous one started to show signs of holes all over. Love, love, love these shoes, they are my favorite by far! And they last a long time, the two pairs I currently own have been with me for about 10 years now.
I have never seen it in brown and now I am in love Heather… I might need a new pair, you know, just in case my black one fall into pieces… seriously, the brown one is lovely, so pretty!!
And I like your designs too, the grey and yellow is nice. There was one time in Brazil when there was a pair that was made with gray fleece, it looked so nice and comfy, both me and my sister were drooling over it for a while. My sister has a pair of whites and she likes it too!

HEAB June 19, 2011 at 9:00 am

Ana,
Let’s both get a brown pair. I’ll think of you whenever I wear them and drink my lemongrass tea. :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) June 18, 2011 at 5:06 pm

Love the quinoa bowl (jar)! YUM! Love the Chucks too! I had pink high tops in middle school and my friend and I would exchange just one shoe…she had purple. I miss my black ones! I must really love Max to allow him to take them.

Samantha June 18, 2011 at 5:21 pm

The cinnamon raisin combo is always a good choice, mmm!

I love Chuck’s…want a kelly green pair although I must say, your orange/blue is a pretty fab choice! These days my ‘go to’ shoes are my sanuk’s (I can fit a girl’s size so they’re less $$$) and my metallic canvas rocket dog slip ons.

kathleen June 18, 2011 at 5:33 pm

If you like rockstar diaries you might also like a blog called: boho. Baby bump.

HEAB June 19, 2011 at 9:00 am

Kathleen,
Yep, just checked out Boho Baby Bump. I want to hang out with Jess and Forest. So cute, and I love their style. :)

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama June 18, 2011 at 6:29 pm

I love all three of those Chucks! And the quinoa bowl looks pretty amazing. Although I tried the coconut cream thing once and the texture was weird. I need to try it again.

HEAB June 19, 2011 at 8:55 am

Maryea,
Yeah, “cream” probably isn’t the best name for it. More like a textured frosting. Others have told me they same thing about the texture – it’s gritty and not what they expected.

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 19, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Is it spreadable?

HEAB June 19, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Samantha,
Yes, you can make it as thick as you want or more drizzable – just depends on how much liquid you add. Also, the longer it sits, the thicker it gets. Coconut flour is really high in fiber, and it absorbs and expands.

Kristin @ STUFT Mama June 18, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Yum!!! Tell me about the coconut cream. (I’m obsessed with my milk frother also. I’ve never used it for cold stuff though.)
Oh, and LOVE the shoes! :)

HEAB June 19, 2011 at 8:54 am

Kristin,
I love the coconut cream. However, “cream” may not be an appropriate name as it’s more like a gritty frosting. Ha, doesn’t sound very appealing does it? Personally, I love it. Sarena’s original recipe is 2 TBSP coconut flour + 6 TBSP almond milk (I think) and vanilla stevia drops. I just make mine with water and coconut flour. Love it as a topping for everything.

The Delicate Place June 18, 2011 at 6:51 pm

hands down the gray/yellow combo. i always wear those colors together. also i love turquoise and red! yeah i read rockstar diaries too ;) i love her clothes! i’m totally getting a pair of warby parkers after my eye exam too cute!

dawn June 18, 2011 at 6:55 pm

Hi Heather! Love the orange heab turquoise idea!

I am coming to nashville for a wedding this weekend! (in 6 days)
staying at sheraton…do you have a yoga suggestion by chance???

i’d love to meet you but you, girl, are BUSY! xoxoxDawn

HEAB June 19, 2011 at 8:45 am

Dawn,
I would love to meet you!!! We’re in town. I will email you. :)

Jen June 18, 2011 at 7:58 pm

That parfait looks to-die-for! And cinnamon/coconut is a very under-appreciated combo. Great idea, Heather!

Abby @ Have Dental Floss, Will Travel June 18, 2011 at 8:04 pm

I had orange chucks in high school! And now I believe I may be using some birthday money to get a new pair :)

Katherine June 18, 2011 at 8:36 pm

I love the first custom!

Joanna June 18, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Mmm, quinoa parfait looks really yummy. Do you eat it cold or hot?

HEAB June 19, 2011 at 8:44 am

Joanna,
Warm. :)

Meghan @ StruggleMuffins June 18, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Heather I love the orange chucks! I don’t usually get wrapped up in the significance of colors but sometimes I think its fun to take it into account when making a lil’ purchase. If you’re interested in chakras and energy work, here’s what is associated with the color orange: http://www.healer.ch/orangechakra.html

HEAB June 19, 2011 at 8:44 am

Hmm, the orange chakra is associated with food and sex. Sounds good to me. ;)

Meghan @ StruggleMuffins June 19, 2011 at 12:33 pm

haha right?! love it :)

Angel7 June 18, 2011 at 9:26 pm

I love the idea of pairing quinoa with coconut cream, cinnamon, and raisins! I would have never thought of that.

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) June 18, 2011 at 10:56 pm

Question: At what point in human history did “Converse All-stars” become Chuck whoosie-whatshisname???? Huh? Did I miss a decade? It’s like when Van’s did the design your own- I had a crazy pair that had every color in the rainbow- so cool! Wish I kept them.

HEAB June 19, 2011 at 8:43 am

Deb,
Haha – I’m not sure. All of a sudden, everyone was calling them Chuck Taylors. When I was in school, they were simply Converse. Do you have a photo of your Van’s? I want to see them!!!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) June 19, 2011 at 11:38 am

Oh I wish- those were from back in 7th grade when I thought I was a skater. ha. No photos of those fabulous shoes!!

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood June 19, 2011 at 12:10 am

I love my double-tongue Chucks; they’re totally awesome. I need to buy another pair of hi-tops<3

Ann Claire June 19, 2011 at 12:14 am

I love the colors of that first pair. But, writing HEAB on the heel with Sharpie will look just as good, maybe even better :)

ashley@ cooking for john June 19, 2011 at 2:33 am

love your custom chucks, check these out!

they are fair trade as well as organic. it’s is impossible to make sure all manufacturing practices are safe and pay fairly, but it’s nice when you find a product that is and not too expensive! :)

HEAB June 19, 2011 at 8:41 am

Ashley,
Thanks for the link. Cool company. I found their US distributor, and I am LOVING these: http://www.autonomieproject.com/513-fair_trade-sneakers.html. :)

ashley @ cooking for john June 19, 2011 at 9:39 am

no problem! let me know if you order from them, i’m interested! :)

lorne June 19, 2011 at 4:37 am

I just love my ladybug Chuck Taylors. When I look at them I smile :0)

My fav are the blue and orange. Happiness in a shoe.

Kath (My Funny Little Life) June 19, 2011 at 5:58 am

Those personal chucks are the coolest thing ever! :D Good to see quinoa again, it reminds me that I still want to give it another try. :)

Melanie June 19, 2011 at 6:02 am

You’ve got to write on the Chucks with a marker. It’s the only authentic way to go!! Remember back in school?

HEAB June 19, 2011 at 8:38 am

Melanie,
Haha – yes, I think I was the only one without Sharpie adorned Chucks. I’m ready to make up for lost times. ;)

sarah (the SHU box) June 19, 2011 at 7:38 am

ooh, love the design-your-own-chucks program! i immediately had to jump in: http://www.theshubox.com/2011/06/essentially-summer-by-day-7-of-my.html

now i just have to stop myself from actually buying them . . .

Annie@stronghealthyfit June 19, 2011 at 8:26 am

I love chucks! My husband and his groomsmen all got custom pairs for our wedding ceremony- different designs with the same colors, brown, green and blue :-)

HEAB June 19, 2011 at 8:32 am

Annie,
Love it. :)

SlimKatie @ Runs for Cookies June 19, 2011 at 10:08 am

The shoes are super cute! I spent a small fortune a couple of months ago designing my own water bottle. I would never normally spend that much, but I love it!
The quinoa parfait sounds great–I LOVE the cinnamon/raisin combo. Usually I go for rice pudding, but I love quinoa.

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats June 19, 2011 at 1:05 pm

I love the Rockstar Diaries. I started reading Naomi’s blog when I was still living in New York (and she was too). It is so lovely :)

Susan June 19, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Heather – I actually have a Chuck Taylor collection. Blue, red, green, black, high top, low top. My prized ones are probably my pair of hot pink high tops, and my lumber chucks. The latter being chuck taylors that come up to mid-calf. I lovelovelove them. Nothing is more comfortable to me than a flat shoe made out of canvas :)

s June 19, 2011 at 7:05 pm

i love chucks :) i had a pair of black chucks in high school and i recently wore out a pair of red/black plaid chucks that i got on sale a few years ago. i can’t really justify the expense to myself of customized chucks but they are cute! happy new-shoes!

Lindz June 24, 2011 at 8:30 am

Heather, can I just use a regular disk for the coconut cream? Also, where can I find more info on chakra? Any books or websites you can recommend? I went into a store in Burlington Vermont and the woman gave me some quartz. Not sure what to do with it. Lastly, I want you to know that my body likes meat and fat (protein and fat) just like you. Sugar is the devil for me! Im not sure where to begin on going sugar free. Sorry to get off topic. Thanks so much for your help!!!

HEAB June 24, 2011 at 9:12 am

Hi Lindz,
Hehe – thanks for clarifying as I was wondering what you meant my disk, and yes, you can use any old whisk or a spoon. It just may not get as smooth. I would just google chakras – don’t much about them myself besides what I’ve learned in yoga classes and at massage therapy school. Don’t know anything about quartz either – not into crystals, but they look pretty. :)

Here is a post I wrote about eating low sugar that might help: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2011/03/01/eating-low-sugar/. I know avoiding sugar seems impossible at first, but it does get easier. Promise!

Lindz June 24, 2011 at 8:31 am

Oops I meant whisk. Gotta love autotype :)