Quinoa Creativity

by HEAB on June 20, 2011

I’m here today to tell you that I enjoy quinoa, and I like to eat it like this…

LemonBlueberryQuinoa_edited-1.jpg

Blueberry Lemon Quinoa Parfait

Cooked quinoa layered with blueberries and lemon coconut cream (2 TBSP coconut flour whisked together with 1/3 cup water, 1 tsp lemon zest, and 3 drops vanilla stevia). Thank you Sarena for changing my life with your coconut cream and thank you Amy for my new found love of lemon zest.

ProteinQuinoaSpoon.jpg

Gena’s Quinoa Protein Bowl made with peas, raisins, and spinach instead of edamame, sweet potatoes, and kale. It was good. Miso adds so add much flavor. Love miso.

RedBeansQuinoa.jpg

I made the newly engaged Kristen’s grandmother’s red beans and rice with chicken Andouille sausage. This was serious business people, requiring an overnight soak followed by 6 hours of stove-top cooking with a stir every 15 to 30 minutes. I’ve never dedicated so much time to any one dish and was quite proud of myself for not forgetting about the cooking beans…which I have been known to do in the past. The result was amazingly delicious, and after eating the beans with brown rice, I finished off the leftovers atop some quinoa with hot sauce. Yum! Kristen, thanks again for sending me the recipe and many congrats to you and the Spaniard! :)

Looking for more quinoa recipes? How about quinoa bread served with tahini and kabocha squash butter?

201106201438.jpg

Or perhaps a bowl of toasted quinoa porridge?

201106201446.jpg

I could give you more, but nap time has officially ended. Gotta go. :)

Monika June 20, 2011 at 3:00 pm

HEAB your quinoa recipes are making me hungry.. cut it out!! ;)

Ameena June 20, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Oh yes…nap time. Those were the most blissful 2 hours of my day when Maya was an infant. Interestingly enough, I got more done in 2 hours than I did 24 hours pre-kids!

I love quinoa! I eat it with black beans and salsa, some steamed spinach mixed in. So easy and so healthy. Love all these great ideas Heather!

HEAB June 20, 2011 at 6:12 pm

Ameena,
I know! It’s amazing what I can pack into 2 hours these days. Have learned to use my time very wisely. It’s a precious thing these days.

Baking 'n' Books June 20, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Quinoa has exploded over blogs lately! It’s all I’m seeing. I need to bust out that dusty bag of it sitting on my cupboard shelf…

But I want to make the bread – will check that out! I typically use quinoa flour for muffins. Thanks for the coconut cream recipe…I’m going to have to try that – can you use powdered stevia?

Emilia @ Namaste Gurl June 20, 2011 at 3:07 pm

I’m on the quinoa kick as well– must be due to my 4 lb. bag from Costco. And i’m only half done :)

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama June 20, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Nap time is dangerously close to ending over here, too, but wanted to tell you that the quinoa porridge reminds me of cream of wheat from my childhood. I think I need to make some as a throw back. Love it.

HEAB June 20, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Maryea,
Yes! When I first posted the quinoa porridge, everyone thought it was cream of wheat. Hope you got a lot done during nap time.

Felicia (Natural + Balanced) June 20, 2011 at 3:10 pm

That parfait looks amazing. I would totally eat that for breakfast! I need to make that coconut cream, every time I see you blog about it I say the same thing to myself, but somehow always forget! This needs to be this weeks goal! :)

HEAB June 20, 2011 at 6:11 pm

And I need to get some rhubarb and make that raspberry spread of yours. Sounds amazing Felicia!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) June 20, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Really, quinoa is the perfect food. Sweet or savory, it can do no wrong!

katie @KatieDid June 20, 2011 at 3:27 pm

I’ve been so tempted to buy quinoa again but I have a bag of millet and brown rice to work through first. In an attempt to cut some grocery spending I told myself I can’t buy more grains until I work through those! But I’m sure these recipes would work just as well with other grains too. yummmm

HEAB June 20, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Katie, yep. I think either millet or brown rice would make an excellent parfait. :)

Cynthia (It All Changes) June 20, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Darn you…I already made my quinoa recipes for the week but I might have to change it :-)

Sarah R June 20, 2011 at 3:52 pm

I made two quinoa dishes this morning for lunches this week. One had grilled veggies, chickpeas, quinoa and Mama Pea’s Mmm sauce. The other was a corn and black bean salsa that I had made mixed with the cooked quinoa. Both delicious! I hadn’t used quinoa in quite sometime and forgot just how versatile it is.

Kristen - Anywhere There's An Airport June 20, 2011 at 4:08 pm

As I was scrolling down, before I read the text below the red beans pic I thought “I would know that image from anywhere!” My grandmother would be so proud! She was an innovator so I know she would have loved it with quinoa!

Thank you again for the congratulations… from the Spaniard too! :) We are so excited!

HEAB June 20, 2011 at 6:09 pm

Loved those beans Kristen!
P.S. Your pics from Venice are beautiful. :)

Kristen - Anywhere There's An Airport June 21, 2011 at 5:04 am

Thanks Heather! It’s hard NOT to capture it’s beauty :)

Roz June 20, 2011 at 4:15 pm

OOOH…Heather, thanks so much for all the great quinoa ideas!!!!

Ann Claire June 20, 2011 at 4:15 pm

The last two times I’ve had quinoa I wasn’t a huge fan so I’ve kind of put it off as something I don’t like that much. I really need to give it another try as I remember liking it the first time I had it. I just need to prepare it a different way. I’ll definitely try some your ideas, thanks!

Moni'sMeals June 20, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Great recipes on Quinoa Heather! I too am on a huge kick and have been eating every day even for breakfast.

ALL Great ideas but the first one and the pic take it for me. :)

jen @ taste life June 20, 2011 at 4:33 pm

I love quinoa! I like to soak it overnight and then cook it, which kind of makes it mushier, but i like it that way. I like it mixed with garlic, a little Texas Pete, salt, then topped with steamed broccoli and some Parmesan cheese.

HEAB June 20, 2011 at 6:09 pm

Jen,
I’ve soaked it before, but I always forget. Need to try that method again, and I love your savory recipe. :)

Rayna Hinson June 20, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Oh i love quinoa ! I just had the quinoa and sweet potatoe soft taco
last week at Mas tacos and it was delicious :) ) Thanks for the
recipe for the blueberry lemon quinoa parfait- more of my favorites + cant
wait to try that . Lets do lunch or a walk again soon ! I can start hiking now too :)

HEAB June 20, 2011 at 6:08 pm

Rayna,
An early morning hike one day soon would be great! And I love seeing “Hinson” behind your name. :)

Kathi June 20, 2011 at 5:09 pm

I want to make the porridge can you tell me how much quinoa flour to water to I use. I have a 4 pounds bag of quinoa I need lots of ideas!

HEAB June 20, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Kathi,
Follow this recipe subbing quinoa for millet: http://thepalatepeacemaker.com/2011/01/16/millet-porridge-3/. Enjoy.
P.S. Been shopping at Costco lately? That’s where we get our 4 lb bags. :)

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate June 20, 2011 at 5:30 pm

I totally need to try quinoa for breakfast. Hopefully it will get me out of my oatmeal rut!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga June 20, 2011 at 5:36 pm

And just today Angela/OSG posted a quinoa fruit salad. You can really get your quinoa on with that.

I love that you are so into it! Yay for finding something you’re into.

I remember a couple years ago when it was *all about* the oat bran and almond butter. I remember soooo many bowls of oat bran and so many people so intrigued by that new-fangeled stuff, oat bran :)

Times have changed. It’s quinoa and sunflower seed butter and coconut cream (yes, I would use agave/sweetener in mine per your comment reply back to me on that one too…)

HEAB June 20, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Averie,
I still haven’t forgotten my beloved oat bran. Love that stuff. :)

Ellie@fitforthesoul June 20, 2011 at 5:42 pm

That first quinoa jar looks so good Heather~you’re really making me hungry now! But, I can’t eat or else I would have to wait million years to work out :P

HEAB June 20, 2011 at 6:04 pm

Ellie,
Make it a post-workout meal. :)

Erica June 20, 2011 at 5:58 pm

Mmm i sooo want that parfait! Deliciousness

Maria @ Beautiful Busy Bee June 20, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Quinoa is so good!!! One time I had this quinoa salad at a potluck with garbanzos and olives and spinach and just the littlest bit of feta. So good!

The Teenage Taste June 20, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Yes! I’ve been looking for quinoa recipes and now I think I’ve got them. I love the looks of that quinoa parfait. So pretty! :-)

Samantha June 20, 2011 at 6:34 pm

Love love quinoa, don’t know why I don’t make it more often. This recipe is on my list to make as soon as there aren’t packers in my house…

And now, your parfait! Lemon coconut cream is INGENIOUS and I have some blueberries that need to be used up. Thanks as always for great ideas!

HEAB June 20, 2011 at 7:17 pm

Sam,
And thank YOU for that link as I am loving the lemon/blueberry combo in and on everything…add basil, and all is right with the world. :)

Misti June 20, 2011 at 6:39 pm

All of those look heavenly! I am definitely on a kick for something different!

Veronica June 20, 2011 at 6:55 pm

Can you just make that coconut cream and eat it as a midday snack? Maybe with yogurt and fruits?
Coconut flour is high fiber,right? I need to be careful I don’t overdo my fiber.

HEAB June 20, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Veronica,
Yes, coconut flour is quite high in fiber and really absorbs liquid. I have eaten as a snack with cereal or bits of dark chocolate stirred in. With cereal, I just dilute it a little more. It’s great when I don’t have any nut milk in the fridge.

lindsay June 20, 2011 at 7:21 pm

quinia porridge is a favorite! or quinoa salad. quinoa, dried cranberries, goat cheese crumbles, and toasted pine nuts. wow!

Jen June 20, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Way to reclaim this “grain” as your own! Both the sweet and savory dishes look delicious — all very different and satisfying. Thanks for the inspiration! :)

Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) June 20, 2011 at 7:58 pm

I love that parfait!! Looks so yummy.. I may need to scrap my plans for eggs tmrw morning and make some quinoa. I happen to have like 3 boxes of quinoa just sitting in my cabinet for no apparent reason, dying to be used.. Thanks for the inspiration, as always!

Pure2raw twins June 20, 2011 at 8:18 pm

love quiona! we need to try your quinoa bread. yum

we have been enjoy miso here too, adds so much flavor

Amy @ Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free June 20, 2011 at 8:55 pm

I love quinoa, too! I add it to salads, soups, and parfaits. I even use it in my turkey meatloaf instead of breadcrumbs. It’s perfectly fabulous.

I’m so glad you love lemon zest as much as I do…it adds a perfect tang to so many things. Thanks for the lovely book review, too. :)
Hugs,
Amy

HEAB June 20, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Amy,
Thanks again for the cookbook – I’m in love with your carrot soup recipe as well, and GREAT idea to add quinoa to meatloaf type recipes. I always skip the breadcrumbs but usually sub oats or just leave out altogether. Will try quinoa next time. Thanks! :)

Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! June 20, 2011 at 9:47 pm

that quinoa porridge looks like a bowl of heaven. For some reason I never would have thought to cook quinoa flour in water for breakfast!

Kim June 20, 2011 at 10:40 pm

Oh quinoa how I miss you so….it was the last thing I ate before the Whole Foods “experience” you know the one I had while you were out here?! Tried to eat some a few weeks ago. Let’s just say, didn’t go so well…. it was one of my favorite things to eat….coconut creme however, seems to have come back into my life with my oat bran…yum! I owe ya an email!

Hannah June 20, 2011 at 11:14 pm

I think I would quite like every single part of this post, yes indeed. Yes yes yes.

sally kate June 20, 2011 at 11:46 pm

i really want to try the toasted quinoa poridge! it looks like cream of wheat, which is my fave hot breakfast cereal!!

Abudhabimomma June 20, 2011 at 11:59 pm

Hey there HEAB,
Glad you liked my post…. :-) This post though, wow! I’ve never cooked with quinoa and I’m not even sure if they sell it here, but now I feel like I must find some! Looks so tasty…and versatile.

Lenna June 21, 2011 at 12:59 am

I love all those quinoa recipes! Quinoa is my fave “grain”, it is so versatile! I really need to try some of those recipes, thanks for the inspiration :)

Eden June 21, 2011 at 1:15 am

Whats “quinoa” ?

;)

And whats “nap time”?

Kim @ Spoonful of Sass June 21, 2011 at 5:25 am

Wow you’ve been cooking up a storm!

CookiePie June 21, 2011 at 7:01 am

LOVE quinoa, and so many fantastic ideas here. Thanks for sharing!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 21, 2011 at 8:18 am

I like it sprouted and made into a bread. Like so:

HEAB June 21, 2011 at 10:07 am

Samantha,
The link isn’t working – I can’t get to your guest post for the recipe. :(

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 21, 2011 at 10:12 am

Oh thanks for the heads up! I’ll fix it.
Here’s the direct link :)

Riss June 21, 2011 at 9:34 am

All of your pictures look simply lovely, Heather!! Have you tried black quinoa? It has this beautiful dark, dark purple tint to it. I found it at the Dekalb Farmer’s Market in Atlanta, and I’m in LOVE with it! In my opinion, it has a more flavorful and nuttier taste than white quinoa… or maybe I just like it because it’s prettier. =)

HEAB June 21, 2011 at 10:06 am

Riss,
No, but I’ve been wanting to try black and red quinoa. Too bad they don’t sell either at Costco. We buy the regular quinoa there in 4 lb bags.

Kate (Bread & Chocolate) June 21, 2011 at 9:51 am

Blueberry Lemon Quinoa? Yes, yes, and yes! Definitely going to make this. Here’s another easy breakfast (or dessert) – raw peach crumble.

Annie D @ Annie's Simple Life June 21, 2011 at 9:59 am

YUM! I LOOOOVE quinoa! We eat it for dessert, breakfast, dinner…. very versitile seeeeeed!!! :)

Lisa June 21, 2011 at 1:04 pm

I loveeee quinoa!!!! I definitely need to experiment more often! That last one especially looks delicious! :-D

Katherine June 21, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Wow, that parfait looks AMAZING!
I bet it would be really good with greek yogurt.

I have been scared to try quinoa as…well…it’s new, but I have been wanting to. I am really lazy though, so prep would be annoying.

Meghan @ StruggleMuffins June 21, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Miso…mmmm….I’m somewhere between ‘fairly certain’ and ‘almost wholly certain’ that miso makes the world a more hospitable place. Sometimes when I’m cooking with it after a supersweaty hot yoga class I’ll take little nibbles of it straight from the container; really gets the job done with replacing lost sodium. Kiiinda gross, really true :)

Christine (The Raw Project) June 21, 2011 at 5:56 pm

Yum, great quinoa inspiration! The Blueberry Lemon Quinoa Parfait looks wonderful and I need to try Gena’s recipe.

Sarah June 21, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Seriously, perfect timing!! Just bought a fresh box of quinoa today. Was going to put some tofu and curry sauce on top.. but I may rethink my recipe after this post :)

Kath (My Funny Little Life) June 22, 2011 at 5:14 am

Everything here looks so good! I’ve bookmarked this post, I want to try several of these things! :D

clare June 22, 2011 at 1:57 pm

i hate quiona, but…you are making me want to try again. ;)

do you like amaranth?

HEAB June 22, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Clare,
Quinoa definitely has a distinct taste, and I know it’s not everyone’s favorite. I do like amaranth, but I’ve only had it once. Really want to try popping it.

clare June 22, 2011 at 2:58 pm

yes! i tried it a few times…it was semi-successful but you have to be super careful/watchful for the burn.

clare June 22, 2011 at 2:59 pm

PS I just made this: http://www.food.com/recipe/mushroom-and-quinoa-soup-416784 for the husband, but subbed amaranth.

beccah June 25, 2011 at 12:10 pm

that coconut cream is an ingenius idea!i could probably use it like you would clotted cream on scones. :D

Jess from Midwest Vegan June 25, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Wow. I have got to try out that coconut cream recipe… AND parfait… AND protein bowl (though I think I would like to try the edamame version)… It all looks so good. I love quinoa!

Vivianne June 26, 2011 at 10:30 am

I just discovered quinoa yesterday and it was AHHHMAZING. It kept me full for hours & was very delicious! I love how versatile it is and I can’t wait to try out more recipes with it (like this blueberry one!)

Miava June 26, 2011 at 3:58 pm

The quinoa porridge looks great! But what was the measurements for the water and flour?

HEAB June 26, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Miava, 1/2 cup quinoa flour to 2 cups water. :)

Gena June 27, 2011 at 9:11 am

That parfait looks crazy good — and what a creative idea for coconut cream!

Allie June 28, 2011 at 10:44 am

Heather,

I would LOVE to make the Quinoa concoction with blueberries, but I am slightly intimidated by coconut cream and don’t have tons of free time on my hands. Can I buy coconut cream in the store, or does it have to be handmade? If so, where can I get it?

Thanks!
Allie

HEAB June 28, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Hi Allie,
If you don’t want to make the coconut cream with coconut flour, simply open a can of full fat coconut milk (WITHOUT shaking first) and skim the cream off the top. Voila. Coconut cream. :)

Lauren July 30, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Hi Heather!
These quinoa dishes look sooo yummy!! How do you get your quinoa so fluffy? Mine is always so sticky when I cook it, and yours looks nice and fluffy… Any tips/hints? I usually use black or red, so does that make a difference? And there’s so many views on ratios of water to quinoa, and cooking times/temps, and I didn’t know which would be best for dryness.

Thanks!!

HEAB July 31, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Hi Lauren,
I cook my quinoa the same exact way every time – in the rice cooker using a 1:4 quinoa to water ratio. So, if I prepare 1/2 cup dry quinoa, I’ll add 2 cups water, 1 cup quinoa, then 4 cups water and always a pinch of salt. I’ve never used black or red quinoa, and so I’m not sure if that would make a difference or not. Also, I have a really cheap rice cooker – I think I paid $20 for it at Target about 10 years ago. Love that thing! :)

{ 3 trackbacks }