Let’s Swap Secrets For Cereal

by HEAB on June 29, 2011

Attune Foods sent me two free boxes of gluten free cereal. Thanks Attune! I received a box of brown rice cereal and a box of their corn flakes. The ingredients for each cereal could not simpler:

Brown Rice Cereal: Organic brown rice, Organic brown rice syrup, Sea salt.

Corn Flakes: Organic milled corn, Sea salt.

Truth be told, both cereals tasted kind of bland on their own. However, add a few raisins and some cinnamon?

RaisinCerealWarmer.psd

Perfection In A Bowl

Oh, and since I didn’t feel like making any nut milk, I drowned my cereal in a diluted version of Sarena’s coconut cream simply by whisking together 2 TBSP coconut flour with 1/2 cup water. ‘Twas good. You should try it. Love how it gets all thick and creamy.

Besides eating several bowls of cinnamon raisin goodness, I tried each cereal in a recipe.

CornFlakes.jpg

I used the corn flakes as a crunchy topping for a tuna noodle casserole. Into my baking dish went one box of prepared brown rice noodle mac & cheese from Trader Joe’s, frozen peas, two cans of tuna, and a layer of corn flakes. Loved the crunch the cereal added, but the casserole was missing something…perhaps a can of creamy soup. Was that mom’s secret?

Speaking of secrets, one of my friends once told me the best way to make chocolate chip cookies is to add Rice Krispies to the batter. Everyone loved her crunchy cookies, and so I decided to replace 1/2 cup of the rolled oats in this oatie recipe with 1/2 cup of the brown rice cereal.

RiceCereal.jpg

RiceOaties.jpg

Success and sooooo good!

Attune Foods has offered to send one reader a box of each cereal. To win, simply leave a comment below telling me your favorite secret ingredient.

Mine is butter. Butter makes everything better. :)

Jason @ Cook Train Eat Race June 30, 2011 at 8:09 am

I am a huge fan of tempeh but that isn’t something that you are going to sneak by people very often, but my secret ingredient that goes into just about everything I make is simply rolled oats.

Put them in the food processor and you have oat flour, perfect for cookies and baking, breakfasts….the list goes on an one.

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life) June 30, 2011 at 8:11 am

My secret ingredient is a guilty please… Texas Pete. I could put hot sauce on everything! :)

Aine @ Something to Chew Over June 30, 2011 at 8:11 am

Cinnamon for sweet dishes, black pepper for savoury – they make everything better :)

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life) June 30, 2011 at 8:12 am

PS- another friend just had a baby so I made your lactation cookies again. They are SO good! if only I could keep my husband’s hands off of them…

HEAB June 30, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Brittany,
Yay, that makes me happy. I’m making a quadruple batch today. I just make them for everyone now, lactating or not. :)

jen June 30, 2011 at 8:12 am

loveeee using apple butter as a substitute in baking recipes. makes the final product more dense and naturally sweet. family and friends more often prefer the original recipes, but that just means more goodies for me!!

The Healthy Hipster June 30, 2011 at 8:18 am

My absolute favourite secret ingredient has to be nutritional yeast! No one knows what it is and if I say it out loud they get grossed out…so I just keep it to myself and watch my friends and family swoon over that tasty umami flavaaah!

Lindsy June 30, 2011 at 8:20 am

Love your blog!!! So glad I found it! I am on a gluten free (and also dairy-free while breastfeeding) diet, so I’d LOVE some new cereals to try. My new favorite secret ingredient is coconut oil. LOVE the health benefits and the hint of coconutty flavor. I’ve used it in the place of butter to make your basil carrots and they are to DIE FOR!!!

HEAB June 30, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Glad you found me too, and yes, carrots or anything for that matter cooked in coconut oil is amazing! :)

Brandi @ The Vitamin Bee June 30, 2011 at 8:20 am

I’m going to agree with you and go with butter. Yum. There’s nothing a little butter can’t fix!

Val June 30, 2011 at 8:20 am

My secret ingredient is apple sauce instead of oil in most baked goods. And just a hint of cinnamon in spicy dishes!!!

L. Marie June 30, 2011 at 8:21 am

Mine is applesauce. Such an easy substitute for oil!! :)

Donna @ Love, Run & Travel June 30, 2011 at 8:24 am

Secret ingredient is probably apple butter – everyone thinks its some fancy high calorie sauce and i always use it instead of apple sauce to amp up the flavour :)
Raisins on cereal are my fav as well!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 30, 2011 at 8:24 am

Thyme. I put it in everything.

Sarah June 30, 2011 at 8:30 am

Lately I have this thing with making faux food out of cauliflower, but here’s a funny story: Last Thanksgiving my generation of cousins were all together, and they made deviled eggs. I tried one and remarked that the pickle relish in it was chewy. But the truth was “Sarah got baconed.”

kelsey June 30, 2011 at 8:30 am

cinnamon and chili pepper. adds a little kick that no one can place!

Avery June 30, 2011 at 8:32 am

Mmm! My favorite secret ingredient is ketchup. I could seriously eat it with anything. I’m realizing now that typing it out makes me sound extremely gross. Oh well!

WendyF June 30, 2011 at 8:40 am

I love a sprinkle of crushed chili peppers. Mmm.

Allie S June 30, 2011 at 8:41 am

Sriracha sauce! Although once you feel the burn, it really is no secret that it’s there. :P

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) June 30, 2011 at 8:42 am

You know mine is coconut flour! I love it in just about everything sweet! I need to try the cereal trick since I hate wet cereal, I bet that was nice and thick and creamy! YUM!

Maren June 30, 2011 at 8:48 am

I’d have to say I enjoy sneaking cinnamon, nooch, and chia seeds into many of my meals!! So many nutritional benefits!!

corey June 30, 2011 at 8:51 am

Great ideas! I love finding new ways to make cereal more interesting. My favorite secret ingredient is whole wheat pastry flour- makes baked goods healthier while making them fluffy and soft as if you used white flour.

Sarah June 30, 2011 at 8:52 am

Hmmm…I love using banana in my baked goods- it really gets them sweet without needing too much added sugar.

nikki June 30, 2011 at 8:53 am

Yum, I love you and your sneak in’s!

Cinnamon and vanilla are my sneak in’s when I’m baking cookies. It’s the one ingredient everyone tastes a bit of and is always asking me about because they love it.

Cooking regular stuff get’s cajun seasoning a LOT.

Karen June 30, 2011 at 8:54 am

A little cinnamon can be a great secret addition to savory or sweet dishes!

Rachel (tea and chocolate) June 30, 2011 at 8:55 am

Vinegar in vegan baked goods. It (in combination with baking soda) helps make huge muffins and cupcakes.

Kellie June 30, 2011 at 8:56 am

Chocolate chips are my secret ingredient. They are not necessarily a secret, but they are my secret “mom tool”. I have three kids and a couple dark chocolate chips have been my secret to getting them to do anything. Potty training? A few chocolate chips as a reward and they are trained in two days. Eating their veggies? A couple chocolate chips for dessert and they will lick their plate clean. I don’t feel as guilty either because a couple dark chocolate chips (high cocoa content) is much better for them than a bag of chips or a happy meal from Mc. Donalds.

HEAB June 30, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Kellie,
I’ll have to keep that one in mind. Thx. :)

Baking 'n' Books June 30, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Agreed. I put chocolate-chips in everything…I even put them in cornbread once.

Totally normal right?

Courtney June 30, 2011 at 9:01 am

I love using almond extract as my secret ingredient. Except for a select few who hate the taste and can pick it out immediately, most enjoy the dimension of flavor when i add it in brownies or pancakes (or oatmeal, cake, muffins…pretty much everything!!).

Emily June 30, 2011 at 9:03 am

In baking, my secret ingredients are ground flax and apple sauce! In the foodie blogworld these ingredients don’t seem very out the ordinary but to family and friends it’s always a huge surprise! :)

Amy Tolbert June 30, 2011 at 9:03 am

Everything is better with butter!!

kalli June 30, 2011 at 9:04 am

oh this is a tough question! secret ingredient….hmmmmm i would have to say nutritional yeast or cinnamon. have a great day Heather!

Erin June 30, 2011 at 9:06 am

My favorite secret ingredent is chia seeds — love the creamy texture it adds to my oatmeal!

natalie (the sweets life) June 30, 2011 at 9:08 am

my secret ingredient in my new fave fruit salad is balsamic vinegar! :)

Jess June 30, 2011 at 9:09 am

I don’t know how secret it is, but I generally add a little bit of instant coffee to any chocolate baked good. I think it helps bring out the chocolatey deliciousness :)

The Teenage Taste June 30, 2011 at 9:14 am

I actually have a few secret ingredients I use quite often! But one of my favorites is tofu. I use tofu as a fat substitute in baking and you really cannot tell the difference at all. Once I made a “tofu mousse” pie made with nothing but tofu, chocolate and agave and nobody noticed it was healthy. Even my picky 5-year old cousin devoured it! :-P

Heather S June 30, 2011 at 9:25 am

Cinnamon and protein powder :)
I put cinnamon in virtually every dish I make, sweet or savory. And I add protein powder to my oatmeal, cookies, energy bars, etc – it makes them much more filling, and pumps up the protein amount in the recipe!

Maria @ Beautiful Busy Bee June 30, 2011 at 9:36 am

Powdered milk (or soy milk mix) in sandwich bread!!! It gives a good sort of sweet flavor. Also, coconut water in chocolate cake!!! :)

Coco June 30, 2011 at 9:48 am

Secret ingredient is cinnamon! I add it to all of my baked goods even if the recipe doesn’t call for it.

Maija June 30, 2011 at 9:48 am

I loooove using sesame oil for everything lately. & White pepper too. Definitely two of my sneaky tricks not many people think about :)

Suzanne June 30, 2011 at 9:55 am

I love using beans in baked goods.

Courtney June 30, 2011 at 9:59 am

I love using peanut butter when I’m baking. It’s healthier than oil and so yummy! :)

Victoria (District Chocholic) June 30, 2011 at 10:00 am

Cereal in oaties! I like it. Another thing to do with low-taste high-crunch cereal is cover it in chocolate. Really.

My secret? SALT. IN EVERYTHING.

Gavi @ Gavi Gets Going! June 30, 2011 at 10:01 am

My secret ingredient in my cooking is cumin! It makes everything taste absolutely delicious. Although I have a feeling I wouldn’t be putting it on the cereal! :)

Anne June 30, 2011 at 10:02 am

hummus. i can eat annyythinngg if it’s covered in hummus :D

Erin @ Naturally Addicted June 30, 2011 at 10:06 am

My favorite secret ingredient is pistachio butter! It always adds something extra that is totally unexpected.

Katie D. June 30, 2011 at 10:10 am

My favorite secret ingredient is cinnamon. I add it to pancakes, oatmeal, baked goods, even stews and chili!

Haley J. June 30, 2011 at 10:12 am

I puree veggies and put them into almost every dish I make! I have picky children and a picky husband, so this is how I get veggies into dishes. The one I like the most is pureed carrots. They blend in and make dishes colorful! Yum!

Emily Elizabeth @ Kisses for Breakfast June 30, 2011 at 10:19 am

Mine is coconut in all forms (oil, butter, flaked, milk, cultured milk, cream, nectar) I use it in everything – I even use a blend of coconut oil and cocao butter as my lotion. I think it should be deemed a super food. :)

Missy June 30, 2011 at 10:20 am

Yum! A new cereal, how exciting. I definitely need something new in my life right now. For sweets/desserts, you can never go wrong with peanut butter… (so good) and non sweets, fresh garlic, it Always adds flavor without overwhelming it like some herbs can, even the most bland dishes.

Lisa June 30, 2011 at 10:25 am

I use coconut oil in everything. It tastes so good.

Shellie June 30, 2011 at 10:28 am

Protein! Not any exact ingredient, but it keeps my insatiable husband fuller longer!

Michelle June 30, 2011 at 10:36 am

My fave secret ingredient is cinnamon! It makes everything better! :)

Lori June 30, 2011 at 10:37 am

I love using pumpkin in baking and also throwing Chia into recipes.

Hayley June 30, 2011 at 10:49 am

Coconut oil is my fave secret ingredient, its so multi purpose and it tastes good as just a spread too.

Gissell June 30, 2011 at 10:52 am

My favorite secret ingredient would be cinnamon. It just adds a kick to about anything and everything!

Cat @ WellSavannah June 30, 2011 at 10:54 am

You stole mine….shhhh its butter too! Kerrygold of course. #2 secret would be bacon fat…pastured pork of course. I love fat. Oh and cereal too!

Clare @ Fitting It All In June 30, 2011 at 10:55 am

FOr me it’s bananas! They add sweetness and moistness to everything.

Bridget June 30, 2011 at 10:59 am

By adding bananas to oatmeal, pancakes, breads, smoothies, etc. I can leave out any added sugar and it’s still just as sweet.

Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories June 30, 2011 at 11:09 am

Sunny Seeds! (Haha, had to say it!)

I also like to use condiments of all kinds to jazz things up (including butter). :)

Emilia @ namaste gurl June 30, 2011 at 11:18 am

Coconut and and chocolate– why of course! My two favorite secret add-ins :)
Although when I was little and my mom and I would make cinnamon rolls, our “secret ingredient” would be chive mashed potatoes– made them creamy :) !

Jennifer@ knackfornutrition June 30, 2011 at 11:27 am

My favorite secret ingredient is spinach. It’s pretty much tasteless yet has a great nutritional profile. I add it to everything for an extra nutritional punch.

lindsay June 30, 2011 at 11:27 am

try the ewethorn BR crispies with dried berries! its good. i actually add chia to it, milk, a little sunflower seed butter, and heat it up. Kind alike a twist on regular oatmeal.

Greta June 30, 2011 at 11:30 am

My secret ingredient… Hm. I guess that would be garlic and lemon. Oh, and black beans in fudge and brownies!

Mercedes @ Cultivating Consciousness June 30, 2011 at 11:30 am

My favorite secret ingredient is coconut oil… I put it in places that some believe it should not go…. but it helps hold things together and is great for supporting healthy gut flora.

Melissa B. June 30, 2011 at 11:32 am

My secret ingredient is anything spicy! I put red pepper flakes, cayenne, or Sriracha hot sauce on almost everything savory. I love my hot and spicy food!

Kelly June 30, 2011 at 11:39 am

I LOVE LOVE LOVE cinnamon – love it. I dump it in my oatbran, oatmeal, cookies, breads, applesauce, rhubarb sauce…yum, yum, yum.

But salt is really that magical little ingredient that brings out the flavor in everything! :o )

Amy June 30, 2011 at 11:45 am

pumpkin!

Liz June 30, 2011 at 11:48 am

cinnamon and a bit of nutmeg makes everything awesome!

Lauren June 30, 2011 at 11:53 am

I love adding just a touch of granola to any plain cereal. It makes the entire bowl shine!

Sarah R June 30, 2011 at 11:53 am

Almond extract. No one can ever figure out what makes my frosting so good. It’s almond extract. It’s wonderful in oats too, but a little goes a long way!

Brooke June 30, 2011 at 11:54 am

Apple sauce or pumpkin in cakey baked goods in place of the oil. Works every time!

Kath (My Funny Little Life) June 30, 2011 at 11:57 am

Your cereal bowl with raisins looks wonderful, and you crispy chocolate cookies make me want to try one immediately. :) My “secret” ingredient is cinnamon – in smoothies, on apple slices, and especially also in savory dishes.

Cheryl June 30, 2011 at 12:05 pm

For savory dishes, my “secret” ingredient is…tabasco! for sweet..hmm, perhaps cinnamon or honey.

Jennifer June 30, 2011 at 12:05 pm

My Secret ingredient in any baked goods is to replace half the oil with olive oil. You get some healthy fats in and it makes everything so moist!

t June 30, 2011 at 12:20 pm

“love!” (it makes everything taste better)

KRISTABEL June 30, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Hands down my secret ingrediant is vanilla. I add it to everything from hot chocolate to oatmeal to cereal . I love it so much just looking at that little bottle makes me smile.

Pickynikki June 30, 2011 at 12:23 pm

My secret ingredients I use are quinoa flour… I just blend it up in my vitamix, and use it in place or with wheat flour. We get more protein, and kiddos and hubby are not wise to my ways, yet!

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood June 30, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Hmmmm, it might have to be vanilla. Love vanilla ;)

Kat June 30, 2011 at 12:34 pm

cinnamon & lemon juice are my 2 secrets! but not always together :)

Jess June 30, 2011 at 12:34 pm

I love using beans in baked goods. Black beans, white beans, chickpeas—you name it. You can never taste them, but you get a great moist texture plus protein and fiber! I hate the word “moist,” but when it comes to brownies and cake, it’s okay : )

Kayla June 30, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Banana! It’s great for blending into dry cookie dough, mixing into a bowl of overnight oats or just spicing up any pudding!

birdie to be June 30, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Mine is cinnamon… ooo, or vanilla! :)

Stefanie June 30, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Just a little love. :)

Ann Claire June 30, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Chipotle Tabasco sauce, makes everything so good!

Esther June 30, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Cinnamon is my secret ingredient!

Susie June 30, 2011 at 1:20 pm

I sneak flax, chia, and spinach into everything, and no one is ever the wiser :)

Monica June 30, 2011 at 1:20 pm

I have to agree with your secret ingredient, butter is perfection.

Lisa June 30, 2011 at 1:33 pm

My secret ingredient in baked goods is avocado.

mama June 30, 2011 at 1:44 pm

my secret ingredient for brownies is black beans, my husband and daughter have no idea!!

Sami June 30, 2011 at 1:50 pm

My favorite secret ingredient is canned pumpkin…i’m pretty sure you could sneak it into ANYTHING and it would only add to the deliciousness of the dish…plus, it adds a nutritional punch!

Erica June 30, 2011 at 1:54 pm

My fav secret ingredient has to be a tie between flax & chia seed! I put them in everything! yummy and nutritious!

Anisha June 30, 2011 at 1:54 pm

oh, so many…spinach in smoothies, nutritional yeast, cashews for “cream sauce”…love secret ingredients!

Melissa June 30, 2011 at 2:02 pm

My favorite secret ingredient is ground flax seed- I try to throw it in to my oatmeal and cereal bowls daily!

Helen June 30, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Secret ingredients? I have several, but I would have to go with honey and flaxseed as my two most commonly used ingredients!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga June 30, 2011 at 2:32 pm

My favorite secret ingredient is sugar. But there is nothing too secret about that.

I have always loved cooking, baking with, and using sugar. No shame there!

Kathleen June 30, 2011 at 2:36 pm

cocoa powder. it makes the world go round in my books! :)

Sarah L June 30, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Nutritional Yeast! Kicks all my salads, stir-frys, wraps, etc. up a notch!

Hillary June 30, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Almond milk…you can hide it in anything.

Erika bryant June 30, 2011 at 2:59 pm

My secret ingredient would be garlic powder. It gives everything extra flavor. That and butter.

Carolyn June 30, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk.. Makes everything taste better.. except for instant pudding which can be ugly… ;-)

Peanut Flour is my second favorite secret ingredient..

Well ok Splenda is probably my first.. honestly… hate away !!

sarah June 30, 2011 at 3:08 pm

flaxseed! and bananas. and cinnamon.
and fresh herbs..
i can’t choose just one!

Ellen June 30, 2011 at 3:09 pm

oh i have so many secret ingredients, it just depends on what i’m making. almost any savory dish can benefit from either a bit of tamari or a splash of lemon (and butter!). all baked goods get lots of vanilla extract and a pinch of salt (oh yeah, and butter!)

Eva June 30, 2011 at 3:20 pm

I eat (mostly) everything with bananas!

Kristin @ STUFT Mama June 30, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Well, I guess it’s no “secret” ingredient, but man I can add peanut butter to ANYTHING!!!!!!! And I am LOVING the coconut cream. I went out and bought coconut flour just to make it and it did not disappoint. I keep finding new things to put it on top of. ha!

courtney June 30, 2011 at 3:33 pm

I add a teaspoon of blackstrap molasses to all my chocolate chip cookie recipes! It gives them a whole new depth of flavor that is simply amazing!

Marie June 30, 2011 at 3:40 pm

So my girls are very gracious, and will often say, “Mom this is so good! What’s in it?” And I tell them “love”. (Then they’re like, yeah, but what’ REALLY in it?:)

Joanna June 30, 2011 at 3:50 pm

My secret ingredient is cinnamon .. I add it to everything!

Melissa @ TryingToHeal June 30, 2011 at 3:56 pm

my grandma used to add corn flakes or potato chips to her chocolate chip cookies…soooo good!

Fallon June 30, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Chocolate but I don’t know if it is that big of a secret ;)

sarah (sarah learns) June 30, 2011 at 5:00 pm

my secret ingredient is avocado! i love using them in baking.

stephanie June 30, 2011 at 6:18 pm

lately, either tahini or sunbutter. then, i am in love. :)

HEAB July 1, 2011 at 6:46 am

Stephanie,
Two of my favorites lately too. :)

Deb Cadovius June 30, 2011 at 6:25 pm

My fav thing to add is smoked paprika. I have severe IBS/Colitis so I can’t use MANY fabulous herbs and spices. Smoked paprika seems to be the only one besides onion/garlic powders that doesn’t cause a trip to the E.R. Plus, it helps my healthy grilled meats to taste more like the N.C. bbq I grew up with.

Hannah June 30, 2011 at 6:42 pm

I, too, have done the coconut cream “milk” with water! Isn’t it fabulous? I think I’d definitely need a bit more excitement in my cereal than plain corn flakes though :P

HEAB July 1, 2011 at 6:45 am

Hannah, yes, love the coconut flour milk! :)

Eden June 30, 2011 at 7:00 pm

I put killers in my cereal

milk is good too, but the secret is out on that one

Candyce June 30, 2011 at 7:14 pm

I guess it’s not such a secret with my family, since they’re always like, “Nutritional Yeast on that?!” but my favorite ingredient is nutritional yeast. Love it on everything, especially mixed into hummus, and on veggies, popcorn, tofu, in seitan mixes, etc. YUM!

Lauren G June 30, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Applesauce!! I put it in everything i bake and everything turns out so moist

Nancy June 30, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Plain yogurt…use to make muffins moist, as a substitute for sour cream or up the creaminess of tuna salad!

Natalie June 30, 2011 at 7:31 pm

flaxseeds, chia seeds, applesauce, garbonzo or black beans, and garlic salt…just not all at once :)

Shannon C. June 30, 2011 at 7:32 pm

A small palmful of chocolate chips added to a pot of chili!

HEAB July 1, 2011 at 6:43 am

Shannon C, really? I’ve added cocoa powder before, but never solid chocolate. Will have to try that!

Shannon C. July 1, 2011 at 8:22 am

Yep, really! It’s kind of the same concept as mole sauce (the kind pronounced mole-ay, not like I cook up tiny burrowing mammals in my chili, that’d be a REAL secret!)

jae June 30, 2011 at 7:33 pm

blueberries, vinegar <3

Kirsten June 30, 2011 at 7:41 pm

umeboshi plum vinegar! – on veggies, salads, etc. salty and fruity – brightens the flavor of things. so good!

Dena Harris June 30, 2011 at 7:41 pm

I wish I was enough of a cook to HAVE a secret ingredient. I’ll have to cop out and just go with “love.” ;)

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner June 30, 2011 at 7:47 pm

I love using bananas in my bowl of shredded wheat! It addst he perfect amount of sweetness! :D

Jen June 30, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Baby food! I sneak it into my kids’ (and husband’s) food sometimes, in addition to serving them real veggies of course :)

Sue H. June 30, 2011 at 7:53 pm

LOVE!

Kelly @ Leafy not Beefy June 30, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Yum , those oaties look good! My secret would just probably be sneaking beans in …like in desserts, in soups, in most anything! :)

Jenny June 30, 2011 at 8:02 pm

Flax seed meal. It makes all of my baked goods taste amazing!

Clairerose C June 30, 2011 at 8:10 pm

A “pinch” of salt…. it it helps bring out the goodness of everything else!!:-)cc

stacey June 30, 2011 at 8:40 pm

i love using bananas in place of butter or oil in a recipe!
nom nom nom

Rebecca June 30, 2011 at 8:59 pm

My favourite secret ingredient is any kind of nut butter!

Brandi B June 30, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Coconut oil–it is always the secret ingredient:)

Meghan @ StruggleMuffins June 30, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Nutritional yeast for savory recipes, canned pumpkin for sweet. Plain and simple. Both get the job done though. Both add that lil’ extra somethin’ somethin’ that takes a recipe from ‘good’ to ‘wowza’ :)

Kerry June 30, 2011 at 9:19 pm

My secret ingredient is cinnamon. It makes everything better!

Alyson June 30, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Secret ingredient: vanilla bean paste. Makes any cookie look fancy and taste a little extra vanilla-y!

Tara June 30, 2011 at 9:22 pm

My secret ingredient is cinnamon. I add it to almost everything. Sometimes just a dash, sometimes a spoonful, but it has never failed me! I love adding it to burgers!

Heather June 30, 2011 at 9:23 pm

cinnamon. i know it’s been said before but every time i add it to choco chip cookies people rave!

Baking 'n' Books June 30, 2011 at 9:34 pm

I’m getting some great ideas here – great question HEAB!

Well other than the obvious chocolate-chips, raisins or bananas(!),,,

I will say Maple Extract!!! So good! Not as sharp as vanilla – but sweeter. I also mix it in with yogurt, rolled oats, granola, nut butter, apple butter and blueberries – and cinnamon – and stir all together. So good :)

SB June 30, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Secret ingredient——> Peanut butter. Maybe not so secret since I am more often seen with it in my hands than not!! Oh, and another, –> sweet potatoe puree from a baby food jar. So convenient for baking, smoothies, oatmeal, and to top a yogurt parfait!!!!

Nicole June 30, 2011 at 9:49 pm

My favorite secret ingredient is definitely cinnamon. From sweet potatoes to pudding, it makes everything taste better.

Amanda - Mother of Ambition June 30, 2011 at 9:53 pm

I love real cocoa powder, cinnamon, and dark DARK brown sugar in baked goodies!

Trisha June 30, 2011 at 10:00 pm

honey. i add it to everything, and it adds so much!

Dorry June 30, 2011 at 10:26 pm

I love Attune Foods gluten-free cereals! I use the brown rice cereal in homemade bar recipes, and I love it with sliced banana and vanilla almond milk.

Holley @ Lunges and Lashes June 30, 2011 at 10:49 pm

i have been looking for new cereals to try! love this review!

kim June 30, 2011 at 11:05 pm

My secret “ingredient” is just plain and simple love in everything I make. Twas not too long ago pre- SAHM days where I despised the kitchen and everything in it. Now, with all of our crazy allergies, I have a newfound love of making my family happy and healthy. Even in my not-so-great outcomes, my sweet Bella always says “but you made them with love Mommy so they are good”. A sprinkle of love goes a long way. :)

Dea June 30, 2011 at 11:39 pm

Love!
Also lemon, I love lemon! Nootch, balsamic vinegar, and blended veggies, not all together, but I make use of them.

Howard From Seattle June 30, 2011 at 11:56 pm

My favorite secret ingredient is Maple syrup. Maple syrup makes the world taste good – YUM!

Regards, Howard

Brittany July 1, 2011 at 6:07 am

My favorite secret ingredient is avocado :) I will always find a way to incorporate them into any meal!

JFlo July 1, 2011 at 7:14 am

My secret ingredient is coconut oil. It gives an extra rich and delisciousness to my cookies :)

Sara July 1, 2011 at 7:33 am

Cinnamon! Everything tastes better that way

Liz Dean July 1, 2011 at 7:41 am

Soul Seasoning….it is the best stuff in the world. (seasoning wise) and you can only get it at Winn Dixie. It’s hilarious.

Sparkle July 1, 2011 at 7:50 am

I like to sneak shredded veggies (zucchini and carrots work great) into spaghetti and cassaroles. The kids never even notice.

Neena July 1, 2011 at 8:18 am

My secret ingredient is McCormick’s steak seasoning. Even though we are a mostly veg household, I put steak seasoning in just about everything I cook, instead of salt and pepper. It’s delicious!

Brooke July 1, 2011 at 9:57 am

My two favorite secret ingredients are nutritional yeast and creole seasoning. They make ANYTHING taste good!

Balancing Sylvia July 1, 2011 at 9:58 am

I spike Apple Pie with a shot (or two) of Amaretto. :D Delicious! Other than that though, everything savory gets Adobo and everything sweet gets cinnamon.

nadia July 1, 2011 at 10:07 am

My secret ingredient is turmeric! Its hard to hide but the flavor is superb.
My mom’s secret ingredient was definitely butter too! I know because whenever I put lots of it in anything it tastes like her cooking. I think for desserts her secret ingredient was brandy/sherry/etc! ;)

Alex July 1, 2011 at 10:11 am

Secret ingredients include applesauce, black beans, and avocado!!!

Ana July 1, 2011 at 10:14 am

My secret ingredient is oats! I love it and add to everything, in place of breadcrumbs, meatloaf, make oat flour and use in souffle (it is amazingly good by the way). I have made some dishes using ground up oats in place of flour and it turned out even better than the original, everyone loves it and most people would never guess that I used oats!

Heather July 1, 2011 at 10:20 am

My newest one is balsamic vinegar. I absolutely abhor all things vinegar, even the smell makes me gag but then I found balsamic, added a little honey, dijon, evoo, and seasonings and it was a beautiful thing.

Melissa July 1, 2011 at 10:22 am

HIMALAYAN PINK SEA SALT!

Miava July 1, 2011 at 10:31 am

Curry. I don’t use it in everything but it is my secret ingrediant in chicken soup. No one can place it, but everyone loves it. It’s also great just slightly sprinkled on green beans… I’ve noticed that you rarely use Indian spices? It’s sooo good in stirf ry and stir fry is the best fix for day old rice!

My key leftovers-dinner is: leftover broccoli, diced up leftover chicken, left over rice, stir fried with garlic & onion, olive oil and garam masala. In the end I sprinkle dried cranberries. Good yes, but i have to use too toooo much oil to get the dish moist enough. I’ve been wanting to ask your advice on this for awhile!

steph - vegfortworth July 1, 2011 at 10:51 am

My favorite secret ingredient is nutritional yeast. It makes everything better!

And I LOVE cornflakes so much! I’d love to try me a box of the Erewhon!

Kim @ Spoonful of Sass July 1, 2011 at 11:55 am

Butter makes everything better…sounds like something Paula Deen would say!

I like nutmeg! I add it to sweet and savory things…yogurt, cereal, chicken, pork. A little goes a long way and it makes people think…mmm what’s that nice flavor?

HEAB July 1, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Kim,
I discovered fresh grated nutmeg 2 or 3 years ago and fell in love. A raw pie crust I made called for it, and I’ve been a fan ever since. Almost adds a lemony flavor. Mmm, so good!

Becca B July 1, 2011 at 12:22 pm

flavor-infused oils! they are so fun to use! or wheat germ!

alex July 1, 2011 at 12:27 pm

coffee in baked goods instead of water!

HEAB July 1, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Alex,
I like it. :)

Lauren July 1, 2011 at 12:35 pm

I think cinnamon is my favorite secret ingredient. It adds a great flavor to anything!

Lilly July 1, 2011 at 12:54 pm

it is hard to chose only one. cinnamon is amazing and so is a little citrus (lemon, lime, orange), and even a touch of salt can make flavor explode :) simple but splendid!

Maggie @ Say Yes to Salad July 1, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Count me out on the cereal contest but I love the idea of krispies in the oaties! Yum. I haven’t made oaties since I made them that first time but maybe I will make them again soon.

Laura July 1, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Garlic…seriously. All savory dishes. Fresh garlic, garlic puree, garlic powder, garlic salt. Is this why I am single?

clare July 1, 2011 at 6:19 pm

Hmmm! My secret ingredient…to add a protein kick to my oatbran or hot cereal, I stir in mashed up tofu!

Karina July 1, 2011 at 8:53 pm

garlic powder does wonders!

Ashley July 1, 2011 at 8:57 pm

It’s so cliche and hippie of me but tofu is amazing and can be used in so many ways, definitely my secret ingredient :)

Anna July 1, 2011 at 9:06 pm

My secret ingredient is any kind of nut butter, usual almond though, LOVE the fats! :)

Jenn July 1, 2011 at 9:11 pm

nutritional yeast ..so good on so many things..my fave ny recipe is little egg muffins..muffin tin..350..chopped broccoli, eggs, a little 1/2 & 1/2, dash of hot sauce, sprinkle of salt and the ny. I know what’s for breakfast tomorrow :) My girls love it on popcorn. Happy 4th y’all!

katie @KatieDid July 1, 2011 at 9:36 pm

I hate to copy you but definitely butter. My friend puts a pat of butter in the center of a burger before he cooks it, and no joke… best. burger. ever.

Liz July 2, 2011 at 12:07 am

Peanut butter!!!

A Fine Balance July 2, 2011 at 12:12 am

My favourite baking ingredient is cardamom and saffron. I also love cooking with tumeric. So many great properties :)

Karen July 2, 2011 at 4:34 am

cinnamon and vanilla add a great hint of taste to almost anything. i also like ground flax as a substitute for eggs. no one can tell the difference!

Shani July 2, 2011 at 8:00 am

Cinnamon makes everything better. Both for sweet anD savory

Georgie Fear July 2, 2011 at 9:20 am

I have been loving peanut flour in my recipes, and coconut cream concentrate that a friend shared with me. It’s awesome!

{ 2 trackbacks }