A Simple Supper

by HEAB on July 6, 2011

CarrotSoupSalad2.jpg

I love keeping things simple on warm summer evenings.

BlueberrySalad.jpg

Our salad consisted of spinach, grilled chicken, fresh basil, blueberries, blue cheese crumbles, and lemon tahini dressing.

CarrotSoupCinnamon.jpg

Curried carrot soup served chilled with cinnamon.

Simply perfect.

Dessert was involved, but it’s worthy of its own post.

What’s your favorite summertime meal?

Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories July 6, 2011 at 10:44 am

Will you accept fro yo? It can occasionally be a meal! ;)

HEAB July 6, 2011 at 10:49 am

Lisa,
Yes, fro-yo accepted. :)

Riss July 6, 2011 at 10:49 am

Salad, Salad, Salad!!! I probably eat my body weigh in salads over the course of a summer. I have a reputation of throwing ANYTHING on top of fresh greens and calling it a salad.

My current favorite:

Baby Spinach, Souper Jenny’s House Dressing, roasted onions, bell peppers, and asparagus, pulled BBQ pork, bleu cheese, lots of salt + pepper. Oh, and if I’m feeling really snazzy, I’ll throw a little bit of pickled relish on there, too!

It’s rockin’ my socks off! . =)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) July 6, 2011 at 11:02 am

Salads the size of my head! I am loving the fresh produce right now. I think my seasonal challenge has helped me appreciate the foods and their seasons so much more! Simple is the way to go for summer time!

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate July 6, 2011 at 11:10 am

Mmmm bleu cheese…

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life) July 6, 2011 at 11:10 am

Looks delicious!

I love anything on the grill during summer. Shrimp kabobs with grilled corn and veggie skewers… fresh berries for dessert… all wonderfully summery!

Cait's Plate July 6, 2011 at 11:12 am

I love just throwing a bunch of stuff on the grill in the summer. You can grill pretty much anything with minimal cleanup! :) Add some guac and you’ve pretty much got yourself the perfect meal in my book!

Melanie July 6, 2011 at 11:22 am

Tuna mixed with hummus and chopped tomatoes on spinach, drizzled with sriracha. Mmm…I may have to have that for dinner tonight, actually. Yum :)

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood July 6, 2011 at 11:25 am

Um, frozen fruit soft-serve ice cream followed by homemade fudgsicle? I think that’s considered a meal… for me anyway. ;)

Kristen - Anywhere There's An Airport July 6, 2011 at 11:26 am

My favorite summer time meal involves salad. Why? Because spinach is light – in weight. When you have to carry all of the groceries home this becomes a priority. So you know I must have a serious obsession with grapefruit if those keep being carried… block… after block… after block… :)

Evan July 6, 2011 at 11:28 am

Heather, this meal looks delightful! Each one of your posts convinces me that we have the same tastes. :)

My favorite summer meal…that’s a difficult one to answer, since fresh fruits and vegetables are all so irresistable! Insalata Caprese, corn salad with avocado and grilled salmon, grilled pizzas, grilled steak with a mixed greens, tomato, cucumber, pickled red onion, and gorgonzola salad and garlic bread on the side…

And, of course, overnight oats (always).

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) July 6, 2011 at 11:38 am

Love the addition of blueberries on your salad! That’s so summery. :)

My favorites are the same throughout the year: Burgers, especially salmon or turkey and great big salads.

nadia July 6, 2011 at 11:42 am

wow! gorgeous photos Heather and the food looks delicious too. that soup-yum. my favorite summer food I think is sushi and I love cool salads too of course.

Holly @ The Runny Egg July 6, 2011 at 11:46 am

I love big salads with loads of fruit in them in the summertime — and nothing beats a meal that includes grilled corn on the cob. I love it!

Katie July 6, 2011 at 11:47 am

I a bit obsessed with my grill, and by bit I mean that I use it every single night. I even grilled romaine the other day. Not bad. Cold soup has been calling to me too, but I’m even too lazy for that. It’s summer, I encourage laziness.

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} July 6, 2011 at 12:00 pm

I think my favorite summertime meal is what we had last night: grilled portobello mushroom burgers with a side of grilled vegetables and a green salad. Yum.

Ann Claire July 6, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Yum! Simple fresh summer meals are the best. I love anything grilled in the summertime. There’s this one dish with grilled veggies and couscous and a yummy orange vinegarette that I had a few times last summer that was so good. This post reminded me how much I need to make it again.
By the way, I love the pictures in this post.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga July 6, 2011 at 12:28 pm

I want that curried carrot soup. NOW! It looks amazing. Then again, it’s 82F here and humid (for San Diego) with rising temps and what am I doing..packing, premoving, moving, finally blogged about it, and yeah iced coffee with a shot is more like what I need. haha!

I love your simple meals. Simple = the way I like to eat, always. No fuss!

polly July 6, 2011 at 12:37 pm

grilled hamburger, sliced avocado, and blue chips. :D No bun needed, just a very large bag of chips. :P

Lurve you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jenny July 6, 2011 at 1:03 pm

cold soup is definitely up there on my “list of foods to try”. At the cafe I worked at a few weeks ago she made an apple and almond gazpacho that smelled like heaven!

shaheen July 6, 2011 at 1:36 pm

i’ve had carrot soup many ways, but not curried – certainly one to try.

nikki July 6, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Fresh berries and yogurt have been much loved this summer. It’s just so refreshing in the morning.

Tangy July 6, 2011 at 2:29 pm

I love anything on the grill!! Burgers, pork chops, steak, chicken, potatoes, pizza, and pineapple! Served with fresh fruit and iced tea.

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free July 6, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Steak salad with watermelon. So fresh. I always put a ton of veggies on my steak salad…so it kind of ends up being a big ol” salad with a side of steak…hehe…

Helen July 6, 2011 at 2:50 pm

I love to have anything on the grill and a huge salad. That is the go to meal in our house, oh with a side of watermelon :)

Shelby July 6, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Favorite summer meal? Watermelon. I count it as a whole meal since I usually eat the entire thing in one sitting! ;)

The Healthy Engineer July 6, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Doesn’t dessert always deserve its own post?

:D

Liz Dean July 6, 2011 at 3:41 pm

MMMMM…..Salad. That’s what we had last night too! Although mine consisted of organic mixed baby greens, fresh goat cheese from a local farm, roasted grape tomatoes, roasted new potatoes and local flat iron steak…all tossed in a balsamic vinaigrette…mmmm. I’m thinking that might be dinner tonight too! ;)

lol…Find the Soul Seasoning yet????

Roz July 6, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Hi Heather. Your salad looks delicous. Our favorite summer meal is very similar to that. BBQ chicken on salad. Now I’m hungry! :) Have a great day.

Laura July 6, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Your photos look so pretty :)

I like salad with lots of fresh fruit when it is hot outside!

Alyssa July 6, 2011 at 5:36 pm

I LOVE all the summertime fruit!

I also love pretty much anything grilled. I probably eat my old, nasty, dirty flip-flops if they’d been grilled. (Fillet of sole, anyone?)

katie July 6, 2011 at 5:47 pm

simple is good!

I can’t wait to see the dessert worth its own post!

The Delicate Place July 6, 2011 at 6:08 pm

i love massaged kale salad with tomato, vinegar & basil with a grilled meat topper! tonight i had grilled turkey breast & portobella caps with southwest seasoning over red kale and it was amazing!

HEAB July 7, 2011 at 9:53 am

TDP,
Yep, that sounds pretty amazing. Love anything involving portobellas.

Kayla @ Sprouty Buns July 6, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Favorite meal in the summer has to be HUGE salads full of fresh fruits and veggies! In addition to that: I could not survive the summer without copious amounts of watermelon and froyo!

Fit Chick Britt July 6, 2011 at 8:15 pm

I love salads for summer. I had the best mediterranean salad for lunch today!

Sarah @ Food and Love Diaries July 6, 2011 at 8:31 pm

That soup is gorgeous!!

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance July 6, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Cold soups have always freaked me out.. but not gonna lie– I might try it after looking at this soup… :)

katie @KatieDid July 6, 2011 at 9:11 pm

In the summer I love baked sweet potatoes that have been chillin in the fridge, topped with pb or tahini as a simple snack. As for meals… bacon and veggie stir fry, can’t get much simpler!

HEAB July 7, 2011 at 9:52 am

Katie,
Please move to Nashville so that I can come have dinner at your house…or perhaps I could stop by for an afternoon snack? I’ll bring the tahini. :)

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food July 6, 2011 at 9:51 pm

ohh that soup looks divine!

I am usually one for raw crunchy salads and sweet corn on the cob during summer. However, my husband made an amazing pasta marinara with grass fed meat balls tonight and it was earth shattering! :)

Katherine July 6, 2011 at 10:11 pm

Greek yogurt and fruit :D

Jen July 6, 2011 at 11:05 pm

This looks divine, Heather! Simplicity is always somehow the most satisfying!

Yvonne July 7, 2011 at 2:16 am

Mmm looks tasty! Despite the wonderful produce available in summer, this heat is just about destroying any desire I have to cook. But cold chicken salads are so enticing this time of year, and that carrot soup looks fabulous. Carrots + curry creates almost instant deliciousness. Thank you for sharing your lovely photographs with us!

HEAB July 7, 2011 at 9:50 am

Yvonne,
You’re welcome, and if you were here, I’d share the soup as well. :)

Bid July 7, 2011 at 5:08 am

sliced vine ripe tomato, sliced fresh Buffalo mozzeralla, balsamic reduction drizzle dressing salad…i think sprinkles of chopped fresh basil too…

and…a side of sliced med rare tenderloin…eaten outside…and not fixing it myself…. :-) ok now i want one….and it’s 6:03am

Hannah July 7, 2011 at 5:26 am

Oh, summer! How I long for summer!

Also, no joke, I was sitting in an all day meeting today daydreaming about food (as you do) and I suddenly decided that I must roast pumpkin and make some sort of lemon tahini dressing with the two almost-past-usefulness lemons in my pantry. HEAB TO THE RESCUE!

Kim @ Spoonful of Sass July 7, 2011 at 6:43 am

Thank goodness for fresh produce in the summer. It’s the best way to keep things simple. Salads, piles of sauteed, or crunching on raw.

Baking 'n' Books July 7, 2011 at 8:29 am

Waiting for dessert…:)

Looks perfect – just how summer should be. Hmm…my salad would be similar – but with an abundance of colorful vegetables…and marinara sauce with cheese. Most definitely cheese. And more than “crumbles” ;)

And hummus.

Is that wrong? I don’t need to know!

Sami July 7, 2011 at 8:56 am

I don’t know about meal, but for me, fruit is something I can’t get enough of in the summer!

xo.

Ellie@fitforthesoul July 7, 2011 at 4:20 pm

I think I like the fresher or lighter stuff in the summer because I feel so sluggish already haha! AKA, salads, soups, and so forth.

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli July 13, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Hmm, I would have never thought to pair chicken, blueberries, and bleu cheese together! Sounds interesting!

Favorite summertime meal: anything cooked on the grilled followed by a cool refreshing dessert…fro-yo, banana soft-serve, watermelon…mmmm!