Mom Moves & Munchies

by HEAB on July 8, 2011

Even though I’m at home most of the day, I find it’s harder to fit in exercise than it was when I had a full-time job. Well, it’s not that it’s harder to fit it in, it’s just more of a challenge to do it all at once. With a baby, I find it’s easier to squeeze in a walk when I can or a few minutes of HIIT type workouts throughout my day. It’s kind of fun and challenging as well, and I’m really enjoying the spontaneity of my workouts. I used to be such a planner, but now, I just go with the flow. Following is what I did this week:

Sunday: 30 minute walk pushing the stroller + 5 hill sprints (w/o stroller). CD and I raced. I lost…big time.

Monday: I took several walks with Summer that day, maybe 4 miles total?

Tuesday: 60-minute walk pushing the stroller.

Wednesday: 60-minute Ashtanga yoga class here (thanks for baby-sitting mom!) + 30 minute evening walk with CD & Summer. CD pushes the stroller if we walk together. :)

Thursday: 60-minute walk pushing stroller and then another 30-minute walk in the evening with CD & Summer.

Friday: Due to rain, I had to cancel a walk planned with a friend. So, while Summer played on the floor, I did this 10-minute workout next to her and then did this 20-minute yoga podcast during her afternoon nap.

BedroomYogaStudio.jpg

Our master bedroom, AKA my at-home yoga studio.

This was a very typical week. Again, lots of walks with Summer. I actually prefer to wear her in my Ergo or Mei Tai baby carrier, but it’s too hot right now. So, the stroller it is. Summer and I love our walks together, and the fresh air and vitamin D do us both so much good. I also try and squeeze in yoga classes or podcasts and short intense cardio/strength training when I can. Still loving my Mizfit workout cards! A few years ago, I had to workout for at least an hour if not more everyday, and it usually involved lots of steady state cardio. Seriously, you could not pay me to jump on an elliptical or stairclimber for more than 15 minutes nowadays. BORING.

Not only have my workouts been more of the grab-n-go variety, but so have my meals. Honestly, I have the time to bake and cook as Summer takes two long naps every day, but for the most part, I spend those hours away from the kitchen doing other things. These days, I’m all about keeping it quick and easy. Plus, by the time I feed Summer her lunch followed by a bottle and get her down for a nap, I don’t feel like making myself anything elaborate. Often, I just graze or make a protein shake.

ProtoClear.jpg

My favorite shake these days.

2 scoops vanilla ProtoClear (rice & pea protein powder) + 1 scoop chocolate NuMedica Power Greens + 32 ounces water + ice. I buy both powders from the doctor I used to work for, and I love this combo. Easy, not complicated, full of nutrients, and delicious.

Are you a fan of HIIT or more of a steady-state cardio person?

Holly @ The Runny Egg July 8, 2011 at 2:53 pm

How is this for a lame answer — I like both! I really liked my long runs during marathon training — zoning out for a long time was really nice and it gave me a chance to think about things. But, I love the feeling after a good HIIT workout — I feel so energized.

Lara (Thinspired) July 8, 2011 at 3:03 pm

I know this isn’t what the post is about, but I have to comment on your beautiful white bed! I am obsessed with big, fluffy, all-white beds :)

HEAB July 8, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Thanks Lara. I have always loved big fluffy white beds too – they just look so clean, warm, & inviting. :)

Baking 'n' Books July 8, 2011 at 3:11 pm

I’ve never heard of either of those products. Anything chocolate has got to be good though :)

Great job getting in those walks! I hope the summer weather there is treating you well.

Kelly July 8, 2011 at 3:13 pm

I agree with Lara above…your bedroom is fabulous! I am beyond impressed that you have been able to keep your bedset so white with a baby, a dog and husband! ha! :)

HEAB July 8, 2011 at 6:55 pm

Kelly,
We really don’t spend much time in the bedroom – there isn’t a TV or anywhere to lounge around in there. We just use it for sleeping, and much to CD’s dismay, the dogs are gated off from all the bedrooms…we could NEVER get away with having a white couch. ;)

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn July 8, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Go yoooo greens in however way you can, girl!

Maggie @ Say Yes to Salad July 8, 2011 at 3:26 pm

I love your bedroom! Lots of beautiful light. I also do yoga in my bedroom sometimes. Unfortunately it’s small and cramped so I usually go out in the living room.

And I loooove your workout routine. I want to do more walking myself. Haven’t been doing my usual lately.

HEAB July 8, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Maggie,
And I love your workouts, but they are so intense. I’m not much into pain these days. ;) I know you are going to see amazing results!

I would totally do yoga in our living room, but it’s a challenge with the dogs. They’re gated off from the bedroom – it’s my quiet space. :)

Errign July 8, 2011 at 3:26 pm

I like both HIIT (usually on the treadmill – I like 1 minute at 8 mph, 2 minutes at 6, for 15 or 20 minutes) and steady state (this generally has to be outdoors or I die of boredom). Lately though, with my July “yoga challenge”, I’ve been doing much more yoga at a free studio here in Asheville & fitting in outdoor runs or walks when I feel like it. I don’t LOVE strength training, but I do it
cause it’s “healthy” :D

HEAB July 8, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Errign,
A free yoga studio…and here I thought I couldn’t love Asheville any more than I already do. Enjoy a good class and then please go eat at Tupelo Honey or Laughing Seed for me. Love them both!

Errign July 8, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Both are on my “to try” list & Tupelo Honey is REALLY close to my internship :)

Yes, Asheville Community Yoga – it’s a non-profit & totally donation based. I think their average donation is like 2.50 per class, but it’s a great option for people who want to practice but can’t afford it. All of the teachers donate their time – it’s really a great place :)

R @ Learning As I Chop July 8, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Good for you for getting it in! Every little bit helps

Sarah July 8, 2011 at 3:45 pm

I went to Steadfast and True during lunch today. It is becoming one of my favorite places for yoga! Glad you had fun at David Gray and U2. I enjoyed the shows as well :)

HEAB July 8, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Sarah,
So glad you like it – such a beautiful yoga space. I’m more of a flow girl, and Jessalynn at Sanctuary is still my favorite teacher. However, she only teaches during the weekday, and I can rarely get to her classes. She does the lunch power hour on Tuesday and Thursdays I think. You should go if you ever get a chance. Her classes are the best!

And yes, weren’t U2 and David Gray amazing. I haven’t been out to hear live music in forever, and those shows definitely made up for it! Glad you enjoyed. :)

dawn July 8, 2011 at 3:54 pm

I think we have almost the same bed!! No kidding. Go white fluffy!
Now we know how you stay so spectacularly beautiful!
yoga + love + protein shakes + balance!!
d

HEAB July 8, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Dawn,
Big white fluffy beds are the best!
The more we chat, the more I’ve decided we really should live closer to one another. :)

Jen July 8, 2011 at 3:56 pm

I love doing intervals because it gets me super sweaty. I don’t follow a standard 1 minute:2 minute ratio, so I kind of make up my own interval system. I’m not a runner. The stairmaster (the one with the continuously rolling stairs, not the one with the two petals) is my go-to cardio machine. I drip sweat like a maniac doing intervals on that beast. On days when I have less energy, steady-state cardio always feels nice. So to conclude this long drawn-out answer, I guess my answer is both!

By the way, I’m impressed with you for squeezing in workouts even though you have Summer to take care of. Taking care of a baby is a workout in itself!

HEAB July 8, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Jen,
Oh gosh, the stairmill – talk about a workout! I do love getting on it for a few minutes here and there. Definitely a booty kicking machine!

Moni'sMeals July 8, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Happy be-lated bday to Einstein!

You goHeather… just fitting in your workouts is an accomplishment in itself with how busy you are.

I am a big fan of HIIT. :)

Katie July 8, 2011 at 4:10 pm

I go back and forth. The HIIT stuff makes me hurt, so I can only do it every so often. :) Me= sissy!

I’ve heard from several people that having a baby takes the planner out of you; sounds like that’s true.

I’m all about easy and fast and no-thinking required with eating too. It stays light out so late that by the time I realize I’m hungry its super late and I’m like FEED ME NOW!

HEAB July 8, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Katie,
Um, sissys do not do P90X…which you did if I remember correctly. Therefore, Katie does not = sissy. Katie = badass.

Sagan July 8, 2011 at 4:12 pm

I go through phases :) But for the most part, I like longer steady workouts, ie. walking for a couple hours at a time.

Good for you for finding a way to fit in healthy eating and exercise around the baby! That’s awesome.

Shay July 8, 2011 at 4:37 pm

HIIT is my middle name. Well, technically it’s Amanda, but who really cares. I love HIIT. 20 minutes and my sweat is sweating. It’s great for a busy college kid like moi. And, I will occasionally tag on a 20-30 min class from yogadownload to the end of my workout to unwind. Great minds think alike and all that jazz!

HEAB July 8, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Shay,
You are funny. :)
Any favorite HIIT workouts?

Shay July 8, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Why, thank you! I’m here all week…and also forever after that.

I think I would have to say that this workout is one of the most brutal I have done this month, which is not difficult considering we are only 8 days in: http://www.bodyrock.tv/2011/02/02/marine-corps-workout/

I swear my sweat was sweating after that one. Never before had a cold shower looked so appetizing.

HEAB July 8, 2011 at 7:36 pm

Shay,
Oh gosh, BodyRockTV, huh? Tried a few of those and decided I don’t like pain. ;)
My friends that have been doing the workouts have seen amazing results!

Shay July 8, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Yep, that’s right! I am a devoted bodyrocker, and this past year I have–no joke–gained about 10 pounds of muscle. It’s really hard at first, but then it’s so energizing and just AH! <—no words left. Just AH! But, I totally understand it's not for everyone. It's just an amazing timesaver that works for me. And, best of all, it's free! I don't know about you, but I love me some freebies.

Felicia (Natural + Balanced) July 8, 2011 at 4:50 pm

I am all for HIIT and walks!! long runs really aren’t my thing lately (well, since my half in april). Quick and efficient is the way to go :)

Samantha July 8, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Honestly, I really miss distance running. I go back and forth with it, but right now I miss the mental release of it. Yoga has been miserable lately, my body is so tight it just makes me angry that I can’t do simple poses.

But what I’m actually DOING is shorter workouts. Lots of short walks/runs while the boys ride their bikes, bodyweight based workouts like CB athletics or the 99 workout (modified for overall body), HIIT, or if I can’t get to the gym, an insanity workout.

Do you like your Aurorae mat? I have one of them en route from amazon.

HEAB July 8, 2011 at 7:07 pm

Sam,
I have those days too lately – I swear sometimes I wonder where all my flexibility went, but then the next class will feel great. I guess it’s like running. Some days, 2 miles felt like torture but then a 10-miler would just fly by and feel great.

I do like the Aurorae mat, but my favorite is my Manduka ProLite. I keep it in the car for when I go to studio classes and use my Aurorae for when I do yoga at home.

Samantha July 8, 2011 at 7:17 pm

I haven’t been to a class in 6 months. We have trouble getting a sitter for our boys and as you know, the husband has been gone almost our entire time here. So I flow several days a week at home on my own or to Dave Farmar podcasts. I’m definitely not at his level!

I had a manduka in my shopping cart but it blocked all manduka products from being shipped here. *sigh* I wanted the black sapphire.

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate July 8, 2011 at 5:43 pm

How does that protein powder compare to SunWarrior?

HEAB July 8, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Matt,
I like Sun Warrior more. The ProtoClear is more of a meal replacement shake as it contains all kinds of vitamins and minerals. It’s not just pure protein powder. It’s actually used for liver detox and elimination diets, and I find the taste to be a little funky, but I love it with the chocolate greens added. Those NuMedica chocolate greens are awesome – so much better than Amazing Grass which I cannot stand.

Emily July 8, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Your bedroom looks so peaceful! I love it.

HEAB July 8, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Thanks Emily. I do too. :)

Katherine July 8, 2011 at 6:00 pm

I have been dying to try pea powder!

HEAB July 8, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Katherine, it’s good, but I think rice is still my favorite.

Erin July 8, 2011 at 6:09 pm

I like bodyweight/deep muscle activation stuff (the ultimate do anywhere workout- I sneak them in at work in the waiting room when it’s empty!)
My favorites are kettlebell swings or lunges alternated with Physique 57/Lotte Berk moves and a few T-Tapp moves.
Maybe once a week if I’m feeling really brave, I’ll do suicide drill sprints in my backyard;) I’m all about fast results for minimal effort.

I also loooove long walks. I have a bad knee, so I never got into running, and, honestly, I’m kind of glad I didn’t after having so many customers in my Wild Oats days with totally shot knee cartilage from running (I highly recommend that runners take Arthred collagen pwd. to protect their knees!)

HEAB July 8, 2011 at 7:12 pm

Erin,
I might just show up at your office one day to workout with you. I’ll make sure the waiting room is empty before whipping out the kettlebell. ;)

Suicide drills in the backyard – that’s a great idea. Haven’t done those in years.

Eden July 8, 2011 at 6:29 pm

I thought HIIT stood for: “horny insects in training”
I was wrong, huh?

PS, love the bed.

HEAB July 8, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Eden,
Funny. For the longest time, I thought it stood for Happy Indonesians In Tennessee. We do have a large Asian population here in Nashville, and so it made sense.

Mary @ Bites and Bliss July 8, 2011 at 7:25 pm

I love your room! It looks so cozy. I’d love to have a private little yoga studio like that :)

The Delicate Place July 8, 2011 at 7:43 pm

my yoga studio is in the exact same spot as yours haha. right at the foot of the bed just me and my manduka pro lite mat. <3

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance July 8, 2011 at 8:05 pm

Good for you for working out with Summer! You’re doing much better than a lot of new mothers that I know!

katie July 8, 2011 at 9:56 pm

your workout schedule looks awesome! does that protein powder blend well? I want to find a pea or some type of non whey protein powder that blends well!

HEAB July 9, 2011 at 9:18 am

Katie,
As far as non-whey protein powders go, I actually prefer Sun Warrior’s rice protein powder. The ProtoClear is more of a meal replacement shake as it contains all kinds of vitamins and minerals. It’s not just pure protein powder. It’s actually used for liver detox and elimination diets, and I find the taste to be a little funky, but I love it with the chocolate greens added. Those NuMedica chocolate greens are awesome – so much better than Amazing Grass which I cannot stand.

Gina July 8, 2011 at 10:08 pm

I much prefer lifting HEAVY weights – I’m doing a four day split right now off of bodybuilding.com that’s kicking my ass but getting great results. I only do cardio ’cause I have to, to keep weight off. I do like my Step classes (double step on Fridays!) and I incline speedwalk on the treadmill another two days during the week while watching Ellen.

HEAB July 9, 2011 at 9:15 am

Gina,
My friends that lift heavy have seen amazing results. I have total arm envy when I see them. I think a sculpted bicep on a woman is beautiful.

HEAB July 9, 2011 at 9:16 am

P.S. I also love incline walking on the treadmill. Hill intervals keep me from getting bored. Also love Ellen. :)

Katie July 8, 2011 at 10:15 pm

Love your workout style…you’ve gotta squeeze it in when you can! Adrienne and I have been averaging 2-3 walks a day, too. Thank goodness for summertime! I don’t know what I’d do if I was shut in the house during winter with a new baby…walks are such a pleasant outing!

HEAB July 9, 2011 at 9:14 am

Katie,
It was not fun. I told CD that this fall I wanted to join the gym again since they offer childcare. I’d much rather be outside, but at least that will give us somewhere to go when it’s 20 degrees outside. I think it will help keep both Summer and I sane. I tried mall walking…it was soooo boring and kind of expensive. ;)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga July 8, 2011 at 10:35 pm

“I used to be such a planner, but now, I just go with the flow.”

Amen! Amazing how motherhood just ROCKS you out of everything you once knew from predictable eats to exercise/workout familiarity and forces you to just…go with the flow.

I find it harder than ever to work out with a child and about a year ago posted about my streamlined workout approach. Which is 20-30 mins of cardio (usually a run) and then 15-30 mins of yoga/pilates, lifting, core work, ball work, whatever I feel like but it’s always…in my garage or house. Who has the time (or money!) for studio classes when you’re trying to be mommy and fit everything else in.

Every.single.thing you wrote in this post is 100% me. Totally resonated. Can’t wait til more bloggers have babies and watch their paths evolve :)

HEAB July 9, 2011 at 9:12 am

Averie,
Me too. It’s going to be so interesting to watch how everyone changes. I remember your post about your streamlined approach and thought it sounded perfect, even for non-moms. I think too many girls (& guys) spend way too much time working out. I can say that b/c that used to me, and looking back, I wasted so much time/energy planning and trying to fit in all my workouts. Besides, getting outside for a walk and “play” time is so much more fun than the cardio room at the gym, don’t you think? I do. :)

Hannah July 8, 2011 at 11:05 pm

Wow, you drink your protein powders straight? Hardcore! :P (Though maybe this reaction is due to the fact that most protein powders in Australia are horrid!)

HEAB July 9, 2011 at 9:08 am

Hannah,
The chocolate helps. :)

Critty July 8, 2011 at 11:41 pm

Girl, do you know how weird it is to see & know you have furniture in your bedroom?? Congrats! It looks very peaceful and perfect for yoga ;)

HEAB July 9, 2011 at 9:08 am

Critty,
I know, right? Only took 3 years to finally get my grown-up bedroom. ;)

Kristin @ STUFT Mama July 9, 2011 at 2:43 am

OMG- my treadmill and my stroller have kept me sane since my twins were born. So crazy how becoming a mom just rocks your world. No more selfishness.
Um… how does your bedroom look that great? Mine is a mess- clothes all over the floor, toys, etc. I’m jealous and would like to come do yoga at your “studio”. ha!

HEAB July 9, 2011 at 9:07 am

Kristin,
We don’t spend much time in the master. Since it’s not carpeted, we never “play” in there, and the dogs are gated off from all bedrooms. We don’t have a TV in there either and just use it solely for sleeping…and yoga. So, it stays pretty clean since we’re hardly ever in there except for at night. :)

meghan @ struggle muffins July 9, 2011 at 5:59 am

Its so cool to see how your approach to eating and exercising has evolved since becoming a mom – I hope that will be the case for me as well (when I have kids, maaayyyybe 920735824750 years from now hehe)

I’ve had years of steady state cardio to kinda keep me in the steady state mindset but over the past year I’ve done a fair amount of HIIT and I love it. And kind of hate it. Love what it does for me (and my schedule – its so quick!) enough to put up with the brutality of it for 20 – 30 minutes, a couple times a week. What’s your take on spinning? I see that as being the lovechild of the two and am not sure what to make of it.

HEAB July 9, 2011 at 9:06 am

Meghan,
I used to take spinning classes back in my gym days (dropped my membership after I started spending more and more time at the yoga studio but may rejoin next winter since they offer childcare). Anyway, there was one teacher I really liked – she mixed it up with hills and sprints and played great music. So, I think it totally depends on the instructor, but spinning can definitely be a fun and effective workout. I know people that do back-to-back spin classes – ha, I would die. No thanks! 45 minutes is enough for me. :)

katie @KatieDid July 9, 2011 at 7:09 am

I’m in a constant struggle with myself lately for which path I’d rather go down as far as exercise. I like where I’m at now though which is going with whatever my body feels like doing from day to day. I finished a marathon a month ago, so I’ve really enjoyed cutting WAY down on running and going with a much more relaxed approach to exercise. I’m not sure if I’ll ever get that into running again because I’ve been loving lifting and doing short sprints and whatnot. But life is always changing so who knows!

HEAB July 9, 2011 at 9:02 am

Katie,
Sounds like a good plan to me – just enjoy what you’re doing, and that may change. As long as you’re happy, then that is what matters most. Exercise should never be something to dread. :)

Allie July 9, 2011 at 8:32 am

Kinda random, but your room is lovely. Tranquil. Warm. Lovely.

And no, not an HIIT (why does ‘an’ seem like it should go there instead of ‘a’ … maybe the proximity to the vowel …?) but I might venture into it one of these days. I’m actually going to grab my bag and head to a trail for a long walk, my favorite form of ‘exercise’ though I don’t really think of it as such … Nonetheless, have a beautiful day!

HEAB July 9, 2011 at 9:01 am

Allie,
I love long or short trail walks. Actually, I just love being outside. The fact that it keeps me active is just an added bonus. I think you always use “an” before acronyms by the way – so you are correct. :)

kalli July 9, 2011 at 8:54 am

Heather, I am a fan of what you are doing. I have a job that takes a lot of time out of my day and I can’t fit in structured workouts each day plus I don’t want to add to my stress by making myslef work out. Instead I walk whenever I can like you and do quick strength workouts when I can. I actually just blogged a few days back about how my hubby and I are doing a more challenging walk after dinner each night. Very effective to burn off dinner calories and make you feel good and relaxed at the end of a day. Good for you and I am sure you feel great!

HEAB July 9, 2011 at 8:59 am

Kalli,
CD and I love our evening walks. Often it’s too hot to do with Summer right now but we fit them in whenever we can. Hopefully in the fall, we’ll be able to go more often. Happy to hear we’re both doing what we can and not stressing out over workouts – all the thought and worry I used to put into fitting in my workouts was so much wasted energy. No more! :)

katie July 9, 2011 at 9:25 am

Your bed looks so comfy and fluffy! Love it!

I have never heard of that protein, is it really good? I love my sunwarrior though : )

Happy Weekend to you and the family!

HEAB July 9, 2011 at 9:45 am

Katie,
I actually prefer Sun Warrior too. The ProtoClear is more of a meal replacement shake as it contains all kinds of vitamins and minerals. It’s not just pure protein powder. It’s actually used for liver detox and elimination diets, and I find the taste to be a little funky, but I love it with the chocolate greens added. Those NuMedica chocolate greens are awesome – so much better than Amazing Grass which I cannot stand.
P.S. Our bed is very fluffy and comfy. I love it too. :)

Riss July 9, 2011 at 9:14 pm

I think it’s so great that you’ve found a way to squeeze in your exercise in little spurts. I think so many people think they have to commit a block time to fitness, rather than taking an overall, lifestyle approach to it. And I’m guilty of falling into this camp, at times, too–if I can’t make it to the gym for my “regularly scheduled” time, I automatically opt not to go at all. Really trying to work on this! I’ve never been one to workout at home (I get BORED really, really quickly, so workout DVDs are a definitely fail for me), but I’m starting to do workouts from BodyRock.tv here and there… just to shake things up when I can’t get to the gym!

I’d love to see more of your recommendations on yoga podcasts and websites! I’m trying to incorporate it into my regular routine (I’m a total newb), but the podcasts I’ve tried have been… well… kinda cheesy and I lost interest. :-\

HEAB July 9, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Riss,
BodyRock.tv is painful! I don’t think I’ve ever done a complete workout from the site as is – I always have to modify, and they are still super intense.

Here are some online options for yoga:

Polly (www.yogaisyummy.com) has some great online videos perfect for beginners. They are all about 10 minutes in length, completely free, and a great place to start b/c she does the yoga along with you.

Dave Farmar: http://www.davefarmar.com/. His podcasts are pretty advanced and free. However, I’ll be honest, his constant talking drives me nuts!

I also really like Sadie Nardini half hour power series. Maggie posted a link here: http://www.thesaladgirl.com/2009/01/07/refreshing-power-yoga-sequence/.

Yoga to the People has 9 different 60 minute power yoga classes you can download as well: http://yogatothepeople.com/about-us/podcasts/

You can try tons of free 20 minute classes over at YogaDownload one of my favorite yoga websites. Love all their classes. Their logo is on my sidebar, and you can click on it to get to their site.

Also, Averie from Love Veggies and Yoga did a great Q & A post all about yoga, including information about online options and DVD’s. Here is the link: http://www.loveveggiesandyoga.com/2010/01/yoga-faqs.html.

Riss July 10, 2011 at 4:35 pm

Wow! Thanks, Heather! That’s a lot of really great info. Can’t wait to go through it all. =)

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli July 13, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Ugh, just to watch a Bodyrock workout makes me hurt! Not for me. Not for me!

I’ve tried a few classes at the gym but have been wanting to try some yoga podcasts! Thanks for the links girlie!

nadia July 9, 2011 at 10:32 pm

wow!!! your room is so pretty and full of light.. its so simple and your bed looks comfy. also – lovely looking shake there. xoxo

Jessa @ Happy Tummy Point July 10, 2011 at 10:37 pm

I was reminded to look for other yoga studios in my area when I read your daily workouts and clicked on your link to the studio you attended. I’m glad to have found 2 others, one that offers a free class {tips} and at a time I can attend. I’ve been wanting to go to a specific one, but it’s just way out of my budget and I’ve been taking a break from the gym and running more and doing shorter more intense workouts.

I’m planning on trying the ‘drop and give me 10′ workout this week after my runs.

You have a beautiful serene bedroom; perfect for yoga. I love the hardwood floors and hope to one day have a place at home where I can do my workouts.

Sami July 11, 2011 at 8:15 am

I tihnk my workout depends HIGHLY on what kind of mood I’m in. Sometimes, if I’m pumped, I want a HIIT workout, but other days when I’m feeling nostalgic, I just need something slow & steady <3

xo.

Sami July 11, 2011 at 8:24 am

I’ve been wanting to try pea protein! How does it measure up, taste wise to whey? :)

HEAB July 11, 2011 at 8:40 am

Sami,
I think whey is the best tasting out there, but my body doesn’t handle dairy proteins very well. Therefore I usually do rice (I like Sun Warrior). It’s a bit chalky, but I think I prefer it over pea. For some reason, pea protein powders always taste a bit funky to me – but it may just be the flavors I’ve tried. They always taste too sweet.

Olivia July 15, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Just stumbled on your blog & I love it…almond butter is probably one of my favorite foods ever…any nut butter, really! Loved your nut butters post. But wanted to comment on this one, as my baby is a little bit older than yours and I’ve been really able to lose some baby weight with walking her in the ergo or mai tei…we also never miss mommy & me yoga!

I’ve also been watching Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition on Monday nights on ABC at 10pm/9c after she goes to bed…and I usually will do some sort of floor or mat exercises during that show! It’s a bit of my new obsession! Have you seen it?

HEAB July 15, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Hi Olivia,
So glad you found me as it sounds like we have a lot in common. Wished you lived in Nashville so that we could walk and attend yoga together. Summer and I were taking Mommy & Me yoga as well, but we’re taking a break from it. For now, I just do yoga at home while she plays next to me. Can’t wait until she starts imitating me – I must say her forward fold looks much better than mine.

I have not seen the Weight Loss Extreme Makeover show, but if I do catch it, I promise to do some plank poses or other mat exercises in your honor while watching. :)