I Need A Donut Pan

by HEAB on July 15, 2011

MuffinChalkboard2.jpg

Did y’all see Ashley’s recipe for Peanut Butter Fluff Donuts? I wanted some, but since I’m sans donut pan, I went with the muffin version. Of course, I was lacking in several ingredients. Instead of sweet rice flour, I used up the rest of my homemade brown rice flour and replaced the creamy PB with natural crunchy. I had no applesauce or almond milk and subbed 3/4 cup plain goat milk yogurt for both, and instead of sugar, I added 2 TBSP NuNatural stevia baking blend. Oh, and I went with raisins instead of chocolate. Ashley, I basically butchered your recipe.

Muffins cooling…

DonutMuffinsCooling.jpg

My first muffin bite was kind of bland. The second bite included a plump juicy raisin and more peanut butter flavor. By the third bite I was happy, and by my fourth muffin, I was in love.

DonutMuffins3.jpg

These muffins are light and fluffy with hints of peanut butter and perfectly sweetened for my taste buds. A mediocre muffin? Not from my perspective. Personally, I find them quite edible. Thanks for the inspiration Ashley! :)

Oh, and thanks to Jenna for the chalkboard idea. Having so much fun with it!

Kellie July 15, 2011 at 10:39 am

Will have to try this… it’s on the list with Deb’s protein muffin!
I love the chalkboard too! Ever since I saw it on Jenna’s blog, I have been trying to think how I could use it on a photography blog.

Aine @ Something to Chew Over July 15, 2011 at 10:46 am

To be honest I rarely have all the ingredients I need for a recipe – it’s pretty rare that I follow one exactly! Part of the fun :)

Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories July 15, 2011 at 10:46 am

Hahaha nice puns! I, too, am in need of a donut pan! And an ice cream maker as well. Funny how you start reading blogs and suddenly, you desperately need a whole lot more kitchen appliances!

Meg July 15, 2011 at 10:50 am

You didn’t butcher it, you just HEAB-a-fied it ;) They sound amazing – I thought the same when I saw em on her blog!

Enjoy, beautiful lady!

HEAB July 15, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Meg,
Ah yes, very true. HEABifying at its best. :)

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free July 15, 2011 at 10:51 am

Bahaha…I totally want a donut pan, too. Sounds like a pb&j muffin? I like it.

HEAB July 15, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Alex,
Yes, a PB&J muffin..nothin’ wrong with that! :)

Elisabeth July 15, 2011 at 10:51 am

Yum! Muffins are such a favorite of mine. I need to make some over the weekend. My oldest daughter was just diagnosed with celiac disease this week, so changes abound in my kitchen. I need to learn to bake with non-glutinous flours.

I love the chalkboard idea too. It’s very creative.

HEAB July 15, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Elisabeth,
I usually bake with gluten-free flours. Almond seems to work the best – at least you don’t have to add any leavening agents, and I’ve also had a lot of success with subbing quinoa and brown rice flour for whole wheat or white flour. There are a lot of gluten free recipes on my recipe page, and I know of several wonderful gluten free blogs if you’re interested. The one I linked to in this post (www.edibleperspective.com) has gone gluten free, and all of her recipes sound wonderful!

Elisabeth July 16, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Thanks so much, Heather! I checked out edible perspective and it’s great. I have a number of your gluten free recipes bookmarked to try too. I appreciate your help.

nadia July 15, 2011 at 10:55 am

I love this! they look great and WAY healthier than the original recipe, muffins win over doughnuts any day :)

Jess July 15, 2011 at 11:16 am

PB muffins are just as good as PB donuts, in my opinion. But I like PB anything :)

Donna @ Life of a Happy Blonde July 15, 2011 at 11:19 am

Love the chalkboard and those muffins look delicious!!!

Katie July 15, 2011 at 11:22 am

Brilliant! I went on a search for a doughnut pan this week and ended up with a miniature one. Muffins would have been easier. :-)

kate July 15, 2011 at 11:24 am

I need a doughnut pan too, I went to crate and barrel to get one and they were gone :(

Betherann July 15, 2011 at 11:30 am

Haha I seem to do that with recipes far too often! Love the chalkboard, too!

Kristen, Sweetly July 15, 2011 at 11:40 am

Hahaha, I’m just going to get in line here and say how excited I am by Jenna’s chalkboard idea! How awesome. I was sold as soon as I saw your post. :-) I see many chalky fun photos in my future.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) July 15, 2011 at 11:45 am

I want a donut pan so badly. I don’t know why I keep putting it off. I think my cheapness holds me back too much. Between that and chia seeds…I need to suck it up!

Ann Claire July 15, 2011 at 11:49 am

I love the chalkboard! I need to buy a chalkboard like that AND a donut pan very soon :)

Holly @ The Runny Egg July 15, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Whether you make a donut or muffin, I will take one please with a large cup of coffee!

Have a nice weekend!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) July 15, 2011 at 12:18 pm

“I Need A Donut Pan” — my sentiments exactly!!

I love the chalkboard, too. I have one right behind my desk hanging on the walk. I want to start using it for recipes and random blog scribbles. :)

katie @KatieDid July 15, 2011 at 12:33 pm

hahah another completely heabified recipe, i love it! These are probably right up my ally with just a slight sweetness. Do you eat goats milk yogurt plain or just use it in recipes? How does the taste compare to plain cow’s milk yogurt?

HEAB July 15, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Katie,
I love plain goat’s milk yogurt, and we also feed it to Summer. Honestly, I think it taste just like cow’s milk yogurt. I really can’t tell the difference. We buy the Trader Joe’s brand. I eat it straight up, and it’s great for baking.

Lauren @ Sugar Coated Sisters July 15, 2011 at 12:39 pm

bhahaha so punny! “quite edible”

I really need a donut pan too! Let’s make a promise to get one by the end of summer, k?

HEAB July 15, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Lauren,
Deal. :)

Stephanie @ extremebalance.net/blog July 15, 2011 at 12:40 pm

I was just pricing the donut pans yesterday—so reasonable! I like everything mini, and I was stoked to see that Amazon.ca wasn’t even *that* much more than Amazon.com.

Donut throwdown… this’ll be fun!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) July 15, 2011 at 12:47 pm

The chalkboard thing looks cute.

Oh heabie, how many fabulous recipes I’ve butchered into bricks of grain. Sigh very very sad. Glad it all worked out finally though.

I made my protein muffin the other day and was sans pumpkin or other squash so I used figs- yeah, great in theory, but the pumpkin really makes it fluffy- it just goes to show you- trial and error is key!

Sarah @ See Sarah Eat July 15, 2011 at 1:19 pm

After seeing the post Mama Pea did for Pea Daddy’s birthday (vegan s’mores donuts) I decided I need a donut pan too! I even bookmarked one from Crate & Barrel, just haven’t ordered it yet ;-)

HEAB July 15, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Sarah,
I know – I saw Mama Pea’s recipe as well. Between her, Ashely, and the Pure2Raw twins, I am DYING for a donut pan. They’re killing me with all their amazing recipes! Hope we both get one soon. :)

Roz July 15, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Hi Heather. LOVE the chalkboard!!!! And love this recipe. (and the description of how your love for them grew!) Thanks!

Tess July 15, 2011 at 1:28 pm

I just got my crazy sexy life newsletter and I was so excited to see your recipe for raw lemon-miso salad. It sounds wonderful. I’m definently going to try it and maybe the muffin recipe too. I love that you contribute to crazy sexy life. There is SO much good info. there. I also love your blog so the combo was a perfect start to the weekend! Take care

HEAB July 15, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Tess,
Thanks so much for all the love and support. I knew they were using the recipe but haven’t read the newsletter yet. I felt so honored to be asked to be a part of it. :)

Hope you enjoy both recipes. The lemon-miso salad is so good! Perfect summertime meal.

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com July 15, 2011 at 1:55 pm

I love your chalkboard and Jenna’s – very eye pleasing way to introduce ingredients. I want doughnut, but these muffins might just work wonders for my cravings. Have a lovely weekend :) xoxo

Ashley July 15, 2011 at 2:08 pm

This was completely amazing!! :) Love it…especially the ending. Glad they worked out for you!! Wish I could bring over a whole batch of the originals! Have a great weekend!

HEAB July 15, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Ashley,
I wish you could too. Thanks again for the inspiration. :)

Katie July 15, 2011 at 2:16 pm

I have a donut pan and I love it. Get one. NOW.

HEAB July 15, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Katie,
Yes, I’ve admired your donuts from afar. I will get one soon. I promise.

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} July 15, 2011 at 2:18 pm

I need a donut pan, too! On my must-buy list that is unfortunately much too long.

HEAB July 15, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Maryea,
I know. CD likes to joke that my wish list has his gift giving covered until our golden anniversary. Haha, it’s kind of true.

Namaste Gurl July 15, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Those muffins look lovely and I’m also loving the chockboard idea. It’s too cute and fits you totally :)
I’ve been longing for a donut pan for quite sometime. Somehow everything in donut shape looks *that* much better :) I’m on the big muffin cake and have been making a new batch every few days or so. My latest: blueberry- pumpkin seed. They were really good! :)

HEAB July 15, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Namaste,
Are you still coming to Nashville, and if so please bring muffins. :)
P.S. There is a store in Nashville that carries the brand of apron you got for Summer. I am so excited!!! Still one of my favorite gifts we received for her. You know my style so well.

Katie July 15, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Oh, and these would go wonderfully with my fluffernutter ice cream. Make them into cake = best birthday cake and ice cream combo ever.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga July 15, 2011 at 2:23 pm

I need a donut pan too!

Between Ashley and Mama Pea’s donuts, I need to seriously get on board. Their donuts look better than anything I could buy! And Ive eaten quite a few Krispy Kremes at 2am while out in my lifetime :)

And the chalkboard idea..yes, that’s another thing I don’t have. I have all kinds of photography setups and props but I have been coveting a chalkboard, too.

Add it to my ever-growing wish list :)

Eden July 15, 2011 at 3:10 pm

I’m wondering if cops like donut pans…..
I carry donuts in the car incase of a speeding ticket. Not sure muffins will work the same magic.

HEAB July 15, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Eden,
Probably not. Not my muffins anyway…they’d probably double my fine after one bite. I’m thinking cops aren’t fans of stevia.

Alyssa July 15, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Yummy!!!!! Anything with peanut butter in it, sign me up, lol!

Katherine July 15, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Haha, nice “butchering” of the recipe into something pretty awesome!

Fallon July 15, 2011 at 3:43 pm

The chalkboard idea is so cute!

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance July 15, 2011 at 3:51 pm

I’ll loan you my pan if you share some donuts with me ;)

HEAB July 15, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Brittany,
Deal! :)

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood July 15, 2011 at 4:04 pm

I love that chalkboard idea! It looks so cool. Trial and error is the key to everything in life :)

Ana July 15, 2011 at 4:19 pm

We love healthily muffins at our house. These are some I need to try for shre when we get back from our trip!

Cynthia July 15, 2011 at 4:25 pm

That is the cutest chalkboard pic!

BTW, coffee DOES cover all wrongs.

Have you ever tried roasting it yourself? I use one of those stovetop popcorn covers and just order fresh beans online. The taste is amazing!

Ellie@fitforthesoul July 15, 2011 at 4:53 pm

hahaha don’t you just love “butchering” someone else’s recipe only to find out that it’s not to terrible? This looks gawwwgeous!

sally kate @themoxiegirl July 15, 2011 at 5:29 pm

if my life included a donut pan, that would be an amazing thing for my mornings and a horrible thing for my waistline…

oh yeah and i know pistachio butter would be easy to make but i don’t have a food processor :( i know the horror. i do have two blenders though :) however i dont think they would make nut butter.

HEAB July 15, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Sally Kate,
OK, so first we’ll get you a food processor. The donut pan can wait. :)

Alaina July 15, 2011 at 6:04 pm

I love muffins! I am definitely saving this one for the future. :-)

Kristin @ STUFT Mama July 15, 2011 at 6:39 pm

LOVE the chalkboard. How long does it take you to make it so pretty? And these muffins look amazing! I’m addicted to coconut flour all because of you! :)

HEAB July 15, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Kristen,
Well, since Summer wasn’t so into my chalkboard art, I spent about 2 minutes throwing everything on there. Didn’t take long at all, and yes, I blame food bloggers for my addiction to coconut flour as well. :)

Kristin @ STUFT Mama July 16, 2011 at 1:01 am

Is there a particular brand of coconut flour you really like?

HEAB July 17, 2011 at 6:19 pm

Kristin,
The only brand I’ve ever used is Bob’s Red Mill. Order it in bulk from Amazon. LOVE IT!

Baking 'n' Books July 15, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Yep. That’s my kind of muffin then – actually it looks like the ones I usually bake!

Today I made Coconut Chia Cookies though…oh my God – so good! I haven’t posted them yet, but have half of them ate ;) Oye.

I also ran out of chocolate-chips (how is that possible?!) – and used raisins as well. And yeah, any parts with raisins are always the best :)

michelle July 15, 2011 at 10:54 pm

Your butchered version looks great! I bought 2 donut pans a couple of months ago and now my husband wants every dessert in the shape of a donut. I even made him raisin bran donuts the other day. He insists everything tastes better this way :)

HEAB July 17, 2011 at 6:18 pm

Michelle,
That is great – I have a feeling I’d be the same way…you think I could make donut shaped meatloafs? ;)

Hannah July 15, 2011 at 11:58 pm

Sometimes baked goods are just like CDs… the more you eat/listen, the more you like them! (At least, that’s how I’ve always been when I buy an entire album by someone! :P )

Jen July 16, 2011 at 4:56 am

Perfect!! They look delicious!!! Anything that has peanut butter in it has my heart :)

Kimberly July 16, 2011 at 7:21 am

I would decide to read your lovely blog while juicing!! I would rather have the muffins or the donuts!! ;)

HEAB July 17, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Kimberly,
Eeek, sorry. Hope you’re feeling good. Truth be told the muffins were kind of awful (OK, that’s a lie, but I hope it made you feel better for a second). :)

Riss July 16, 2011 at 7:28 am

I’ve recently become addicted to microwave oat bran muffins… Hurray for healthy “pastries!”

I think you need to make a Heabafied version of this… with dark chocolate and tahini instead of peanut butter and raisons. Are you up for the challenge!?

And the chalkboard….. love, love, LOVE!!

HEAB July 17, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Riss,
Am I up for the challenge?!? As soon as get back home to Nashville, done. We’re vacation in Michigan, and there isn’t much tahini happening up here. :(

Riss July 18, 2011 at 7:29 am

I will be waiting impatiently!

Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out July 16, 2011 at 8:54 am

Haha. So funny. If you liked them, I guess that’s all that mattered!

Mimi (Gingersnaps) July 16, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Buahahaha! I do the same with with recipes. “Inspired by” or “adapted from” or “somewhat influenced by” are my usual turns of phrase. But as I don’t have a donut pan either, I’d stick closer to your recipe than the other. Egads you’ve corrupted the masses!

Balancing Sylvia July 17, 2011 at 11:14 am

This is completely unrelated to your muffins though they sound and look delicious I just bought my first bag of Jay Robb and totally thought of you when I saw it at the store. I actually said “Well if it isn’t Mr. Sexy Hot himself” :D

HEAB July 17, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Sylvia,
Ah yes, Mr. Sexy Hot. I broke up with Jay when he stopped making my beloved rice protein powder. However, I hear a rumor the company is developing another vegan protein powder, and so I might give him a 2nd chance. We shall see. ;)

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli July 17, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Ok Heather, I’m seriously laughing out loud at the “perspective” and “edible” remarks! Hilarious! And you always kill me with the, “Well, I wanted to make chocolate chip cookies, but I had no chocolate chips…or milk…or flour…” You are like McGyver meets Betty Crocker! Lol

HEAB July 17, 2011 at 6:12 pm

McGyver meets Betty. Ha, I love that!

Sarah @ Food and Love Diaries July 17, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Ohhh my goodness look at all those nut butters!