We’re Back

by HEAB on July 17, 2011

CD and I are once again vagabonding it in the land of Naturally Nutty.

Oryana Coop’s nut butter selection in Traverse City, MI

On Saturday, we packed up the dogs and Summer for a 10-hour drive north. Summer played the role of dream baby (seriously, she didn’t fuss at all until the last 10 miles and only did then because it was her bedtime), and the pups made cameo appearances as seat hogs 1 & 2. I must say that the HEAB family does very well on road trips. Our fist stop upon arrival?

FifeLakeDairyBar.psd

There are a lot of tacky comments I could say about this photo involving why men shouldn’t wear tank tops or denim shorts, but I won’t. Instead, I’ll tell you how happy CD and I are to be spending the next seven weeks back in our beloved Michigan. May the ice-cream eating adventures begin…too bad I can’t use being pregnant as an excuse this year. ;)

First up…

MooseTracksColorized.psd

A small cup of Moose Tracks topped off with a cake cone. I promise there was ice-cream under there.

After a brief stay in Fife Lake, we plan to continue on with our travels. For any new readers, Chris’s boss allows him to work from another location for several weeks every summer. We used to go to Colorado (remember the yurt?), but last year decided to come to Michigan instead since I was advised to avoid traveling to altitude while pregnant. Long story short, we had the most amazing time and fell in love with the state. You can read about some of our favorite Michigan spots here, here, and here, and we are so excited to be back! Hope you guys are enjoying your weekend as much as we are.

P.S. We do not have Internet where we’re staying, and so I will not be checking email often.

Stefanie July 17, 2011 at 6:13 pm

My first thought when I saw the ice cream stand was that it was a bummer you couldn’t get the special for being pregnant. I think it is worth it though because you get to enjoy the ice cream with summer and CD. Have a great vacation. :)

Hannah July 17, 2011 at 6:34 pm

Have a beautiful, amazing, wonderful, rejuvenating, and ice-cream-filled time, gorgeous Heather! It’s a sign of my deep affection for you that I shan’t make a single comment about the deep roiling envy I feel at that wall of nut butters the likes of which I can only dream of…

Whoops, that probably counts as a comment, doesn’t it? ;)

Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews July 17, 2011 at 6:40 pm

I live in MI about three hours south of Traverse City. That’s so awesome that you are vacationing here. The lake is beautiful and so fun in the summer!

The Delicate Place July 17, 2011 at 6:41 pm

have fun in fife! i remember reading about that ice cream place many times last year when you were pregnant with summer haha. now you can share little bites with her! enjoy the relaxing time :)

Christin@purplebirdblog July 17, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Yay, so glad you made it safely! And I certainly look forward to your ice cream adventures and Naturally Nutty feasts! :)

Laura July 17, 2011 at 6:45 pm

I was just wondering the other day if you’d be coming back here! (I live in TC!)
I hope you have a great time! If you happen to be free for lunch while here let me know!

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate July 17, 2011 at 6:47 pm

Naturally Nutty = swoon :)

Erica July 17, 2011 at 6:49 pm

Yayyy! Have so much fun! I hope the peanut is as good as summer!

Liz July 17, 2011 at 6:51 pm

Ooooo… love me some nut butter!!!! :) Yummm!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) July 17, 2011 at 6:52 pm

Enjoy it my friend! Family time away is absolutely amazing! Oh and have an ice cream for me please!

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food July 17, 2011 at 6:54 pm

All bosses should allow their employees to do that, what a wonderful idea! :)

I hope you all have a wonderful time! :)

I LOVE MOOSETRACKS ICE CREAM! :)

Clairerose C July 17, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Everytime I see THose lovely ” Come to Michigan” commercials I think about you guys .hehe…I would love to visit someday:-)cc

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) July 17, 2011 at 7:23 pm

I recognized that joint right off the bat, and the guys in the inappropriate and highly unattractive jeans shorts.

Have a blast!!

Nikki July 17, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Ah, this post makes me want to travel back to Michigan myself! I lived there before I was married, it really is a beautiful state. Have a great time!

Holly @ The Runny Egg July 17, 2011 at 7:43 pm

I remember your MI posts (aka ice cream posts!) from last year.

Have a great time!

katie @KatieDid July 17, 2011 at 7:44 pm

ohhh yay I loved all the gorgeous pictures and ice cream fun from your last michigan trip! Who would ever think michigan had a lot to offer huh! Have fun!!!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss July 17, 2011 at 8:20 pm

I would go crazy in front of all those jars!! So.many.choices!

Samantha July 17, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Michigan is so wonderful, not a day goes by I don’t miss Ann Arbor. Enjoy your wonderful vacation and eat some NN for me. One of the many things we can’t get here!

Erika @ The Teenage Taste July 17, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Wow, I wish I had a grocery store near me that stocked Naturally Nutty. Seriously, that stuff is the best! Vanilla Almond Butter for life! <3

Have a great trip!

Gina G July 17, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Ah I wish I lived closer to Traverse City! I live in Macomb, a couple hours away. :( But I am so excited for you and your family, hope you have the most amazing time again! :)

Claudine @ The Kathmanduo July 17, 2011 at 8:39 pm

PURE MICHIGAN! I’m so excited for you that you are returning for another summer. Where else are you traveling? Thanks to a husband from Michigan, I have seen quite a bit of the state. I have been to the UP once, but he has been several times and knows it backwards and forwards. If you need any travel advice, don’t hesitate to ask us!

HEAB July 18, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Claudine,
We’ll be here in Fife Lake for a short visit and then we’re headed up to Presque Isle. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated as we’ve never been up there.

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood July 17, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Ahhh I love that shelf full of nut butters! If I were you, I would be in nut butter heaven right now… and cleaning out my pockets at the register just buying all of them. One only of each flavor, of course ;)

Have fun in Michigan! You’re giving me so many ideas for places to go on vacation and honeymoon! <3 :-D

HEAB July 18, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Sylvia,
Um, you’re coming to Nashville. End of discussion. ;)

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood July 18, 2011 at 1:48 pm

It’s funny you mention that because my boyfriend was saying how he wants to take me away from the city and I said, “Oh oh! I know where we can move to!” And he said, “Where?” (already wary of my response) and I said, “Nashville” and he asked why there. I said because the houses are well-priced and we’re in a recession. Guys love being cheap so he couldn’t argue with that ;)

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood July 18, 2011 at 1:49 pm

But you were my real reason obviously; of course, he doesn’t know that ;) <3

Carbzilla July 17, 2011 at 9:04 pm

YAY! We love HEABs on vacation! (Frankly, it’s the only way I can tell it’s summer around here – no pun intended. It was barely mid-60s and raining here in Seattle today.)

Minta July 17, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Isn’t Traverse City the best??!?! My family just got back from vacationing on Lake Ann (we were there for the Cherry Festival) and are IN LOVE with the area. It also took us around 10 hours to get there… so glad Summer was not fussy during the drive :) Enjoy your stay!

HEAB July 18, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Minta,
Yes! TC is so cool, and I hope to make it up for the Cherry Festival one year. It sounds like so much fun.

HEAB July 18, 2011 at 1:07 pm

P.S. Glad you enjoyed your vacation. It’s hard not to up here! :)

Katie July 17, 2011 at 9:17 pm

I saw that Dairy Bar and thought – I bet she got the Moose Tracks. SO GOOD!

Have a great vacation!!

Kristen, Sweetly July 17, 2011 at 9:42 pm

!!! I had such a blast watching your adventures in Michigan last summer. So excited that you’re back! :-p It’s crazy how excited I get about the bloggers I like to follow. Like I’m on vacation. Oh, boy.

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance July 17, 2011 at 9:43 pm

I still have yet to try Naturally Nutty Nut Butter!
(And I’m pretty sure its any dog’s job to hog the seats during a car ride.. Mine do it every time! No doubt)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga July 17, 2011 at 9:47 pm

“Summer played the role of dream baby (seriously, she didn’t fuss at all until the last 10 miles and only did then because it was her bedtime)

– Well arent you just lucky ducks! That’s great. I was NEVER that lucky. Ever. Skylar is a go-getter and not a sleeper. Wonder who she takes after.

The yurt
The trip to Mich last year

Wow. 2 yrs ago and 1 yr ago.
Where does time go?! I remember you doing yoga in the yurt and the warrior/dancer pose that was taken outdoors there that you used for quite some time as maybe a profile pic? Anyway wow…time flies.

And I remember you meeting up with Katie of NN and all your adventures…and now you have Summer with.

HAVE FUN!!!! :)

Ann Claire July 17, 2011 at 10:14 pm

I bet it will be so much fun and a whole new experience being in Michigan with Summer :) So glad you celebrated National Ice Cream Day!!!

HEAB July 18, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Ann Claire,
I did? Haha – have a feeling the celebration is going to continue through August. ;)

Ann Claire July 18, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Yes, the 3rd of July is National Ice Cream Day. But, the holiday is best celebrated year around :)

Ann Claire July 18, 2011 at 1:28 pm

*3rd Sunday of July

Aine @ Something to Chew Over July 18, 2011 at 2:55 am

Hope you have a great time! Look at all those nut butters :)

Lorne July 18, 2011 at 4:08 am

It is that time of year again? No way!
I hope you have the most awesome time showing Summer the countryside, looking forward to your photos :0)

Caronae July 18, 2011 at 6:44 am

I miss Michigan in the summer time, especially northern Michigan. It’s been so many summers since I was there. I just looked through your favorite spots and saw the Fishtown post. Oh how my sister and I loved fishtown and Sutton’s Bay and Northport. I’ll have to go back there with my own children someday!

Have lots of fun! Make some memories in my honor. :) And eat lots of moose tracks — it’s my favorite flavor, tied with blue Moon (aka “that nasty blue stuff”, lol).

HEAB July 18, 2011 at 1:03 pm

CH,
So sad I’ll miss you again this year, but I have already started eating Moose Tracks in your honor and would love to go back to Fish Town. Not sure if we’ll get there this year as we’re leaving Traverse County soon, but that was definitely one of my favorite stops last year, and you were the first person to tell me about it. :)

Sarah @ See Sarah Eat July 18, 2011 at 8:26 am

Yay! Really enjoyed reading your Michigan adventures last year and I’m sure you all will have even more fun this time with Summer there :) Enjoy!

Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories July 18, 2011 at 8:28 am

Yay Michigan! When I was a kid, my family vacationed in Michigan every year. We made sure to hit up the local ice cream spot too, but ours was called the Whippi Dip. :)

Tangy July 18, 2011 at 9:34 am

Michigan is the only place I’ve ever been on vacation, and I love it there! Love the touristy shops, the fudge, the ice cream, the white sandy beaches!

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free July 18, 2011 at 10:04 am

Have fun in Michigan! I’m sure they have wonderful weather in the summer :D

Katie July 18, 2011 at 10:34 am

Aw man, I wish I could be there to buy all of that Naturally Nutty! I’ve NEVER tried it, but want to soooo bad!

Monica July 18, 2011 at 11:19 am

Have a wonderful vacation! I first became a HEAB reader during your stay last year and look forward to seeing similar posts, but this time with Summer. :)

HEAB July 18, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Monica,
Well then, Happy HEABiversary to you. Thanks for sticking around. :)

alli July 18, 2011 at 11:39 am

oh! that sounds heavenly! what a fun vacation tradition you have going. lucky you to get to opportunity to enjoy such a lovely vacation! :)

Annie@stronghealthyfit July 18, 2011 at 11:42 am

That’s such a great set-up for you guys, to be able to vacation while CD can still work. Have an amazing time!

Lea @ Healthy Coconut July 18, 2011 at 12:22 pm

I still remember your vacation last year? Has it been a year already. I can’t believe it.

I look forward to your ice cream adventures and the peaceful ambience of your vacation posts. Whenever I see bloggers go on vacation, some how I read their posts with birds chirping in my head or if you are near a water, I read with with the water crashing in the backround. Lol!

nadia July 18, 2011 at 2:06 pm

jealous! I want some moosetracks :P

Melanie July 18, 2011 at 2:09 pm

I can’t believe it has been a year already. I was actually shocked when I clicked on your blog and saw that you were here again already ;) Have fun, it has been a hot summer so far so be glad you aren’t pregnant.

Kelly July 18, 2011 at 2:26 pm

WOOHOO!!! Yay for Michigan!! Hope you have a WONDERFUL trip!! We are headed NORTH for the week (to Charlevoix) on Friday, and I can’t wait!! Hope you enjoy the HOT weather, too! :o )

Mercedes @ Cultivating Consciousness July 20, 2011 at 7:40 pm

Welcome to Michigan!! I love the great lakes! If you make it to the UP, let me know!