I Broke Down

by HEAB on July 22, 2011

OK, so the other day I was saying I usually just go without many of my favorite foods when we travel. Well yesterday, we realized there was no decent dog food to be found in Fife Lake. Therefore, I took it upon myself to make a quick trip into Traverse City to buy some. So, I threw a few other items in the cart – totally the dogs’ fault! ;)

I ventured to Oryana Coop (love that place!) and picked up this dog food. Next to the dog food? The chip aisle! Well, not really, it was about 2 aisles over, but whatever. Hello Garden of Eatin’ blue tortilla chips, I’ve missed you, and I think I need you for my dinner….

MITacoSalad.jpg

A HEABified taco salad…sauteed cabbage with ground beef and garlic salt with a couple spoonfuls of tomato paste stirred in, and topped with sour cream and chips. It was no Chipotle, but tasty none the less.

This next purchase wasn’t my fault either. Lindsay, I blame you. Actually, I take that back. I thank you because it was free!

RudiToast.psd

Lindsay was kind enough to send me coupons for Rudi’s, her favorite brand of gluten-free bread. I’m still on my peanut butter toast kick, and for lunch yesterday toasted two slices, spreading peanut butter + raisins on one and a new nut butter on the other. Lindsay, you’re so right – the Rudi’s is DELICIOUS. Thanks again my sweet friend.

The new nut butter and a jar of Sunbutter were the last of my purchases. Any guesses as to the mystery nut butter? I tried a sample of it last summer and immediately fell in love. So happy to see it’s now available for purchase and bought myself the biggest jar I could find. I’ll post more about it soon.

Considering that I wanted to buy about half the store, I came out with only one small bag of groceries as I was in a hurry to get back home so the dogs could eat their dinner. Oh, and I know some of you hoped to meet up in Traverse City, but this was such a last minute trip. If we make any more plans to go into town, I’ll be sure to let you know. After all, I would love to make it to Moomer’s again this year!

Shoot, just realized I forgot to buy tahini…and brewer’s yeast…oh, and I should have stocked up on oat bran…and maybe some coconut flour. Hmm, really been wanting some PB Puffins lately too, and that would require nut milk…OK, I’ll stop now. ;)

Katie July 22, 2011 at 9:01 am

Ha! That happened to me in the grocery store on vacation a few weeks ago. But I was only there for a few days, so there wasn’t an emergency….but, Heather? No tahini?!?!

Jen July 22, 2011 at 9:04 am

Rudi’s is my favorite brand of GF bread too! I like the multigrain one. It’s basically the only GF bread I buy anymore, because it’s the softest, and works well with sandwiches. By the way, tahini is on my grocery list too! I used up my last jar rather quickly, solely as a result of making tahini-miso sauce every day. Thank you for reminding me that I need to get some, pronto. :)

christina cadden July 22, 2011 at 9:05 am

Peanut butter and raisins sounds so good!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) July 22, 2011 at 9:15 am

Haha, I’m the same way. I feel like when I think I can’t have something, I dream about that thing. The funny thing is, now I dream about “health” food! Oatbran is not something that most people dream about. The taco salad looks perfect to me. I LOVE those chips! Sounds like you are having a tasty trip!

katie @KatieDid July 22, 2011 at 9:24 am

ohhh those chips are heaven sent. And everything else you listed for that matter. I know I always have to put up blinders when I go into those awesome co-ops and health stores when I’m on a mission for 1 thing, which never ever ends in 1 thing. Girls gotta eat though!

Nolita July 22, 2011 at 9:39 am

That Taco Salad looks so yummy! I will definitely have to add something similar to our dinner menu soon. I recently found a super yummy chipotle sour cream that I am inlove with….so good. We bought the Roasted Garlic version but it’s disgrosting!

Brittany @ ittybitsofbalance July 22, 2011 at 9:47 am

I need to try Rudis! I just was diagnosed with a wheat allergy so these would be awesome. I’ve been having Ener-G brown rice bread, but I’m always ready to try something new :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss July 22, 2011 at 9:47 am

That ALWAYS happens to me, too. No shame. ;)

Aine @ Something to Chew Over July 22, 2011 at 9:48 am

Looking forward to hearing about the new nut butter! :)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) July 22, 2011 at 9:58 am

I just bought Sunbutter and Rudi’s GF bread the other day, too! It had been over a year since I had Sunbutter–it’s so good! And I agree: Rudi’s is really, really good!!

HEAB July 22, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Jenn,
Wow, we are so on the same wavelength. LOVING the Rudi’s!

Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine July 22, 2011 at 10:10 am

I’m kinda the same way. :) I miss my normal foods after a while on vacay! I start craving spinach smoothies! Have fun on the rest of your trip, Heather!

Jennie (the gf-gf) July 22, 2011 at 10:32 am

It must’ve been one of the new flavors of naturally nutty, right?

Stephanie @ extremebalance.net/blog July 22, 2011 at 11:19 am

I have a hard time living without my faves when travelling, too. Would I want PB half as much if I could have it right now? ;) Plus side: I’m exploring things out of my habits. Minus side: WHY didn’t I pack protein powders? WHY?? :D

HEAB July 22, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Stephanie,
Haha – trust me, I get it. :)

Liz Dean July 22, 2011 at 11:48 am

Ohhh….that place sounds great!

Okay…quick question…which of the formulas do you feed the dogs? We have been on Blue Buffalo, but Casper and Jasper both seem to be having a hard time digesting it. :( Pair that with the fact that TotW is for all life stages (not having to buy puppy and adult would be nice!) to buy the 30 lb bag is not bad!!!

HEAB July 22, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Hi Liz,
This is actually the dog food we usually buy: http://astore.amazon.com/heaeatalmbut-20/detail/B003C5RLGG, but it was not sold at Oryana. So, this is our first time trying the Taste of the Wild brand. I bought the Pacific Stream formula, and the pups ate it right up. No complaints from them. I on the other hand must say, it stinks. However, happy dogs = happy mama. :)

Liz Dean July 22, 2011 at 1:21 pm

how funny…that was the one I was looking at….and thinking how horrible it must smell because it is all fish!! Let me know how it works out~ Casper’s tummy has been so upset lately. :(

Paula July 27, 2011 at 11:27 am

Liz, I’m on our second or third bag of ToTW, the fowl formula. I’ve been really happy with how the dogs are doing, and they like it.

lindsay July 22, 2011 at 12:13 pm

oh yes, glad I could feed your fixations. haha. Now you must try that toast with vegetmite and sun nut butter.
;)

nadia July 22, 2011 at 12:27 pm

mmm .. you make me want some brown rice bread! :) but i just bought some puffins -original- and well.. hmm they are kind of weird! :( very fiber-y….

Meagan July 22, 2011 at 12:28 pm

I forgot you had dogs! How weird.

Cat @Breakfast to Bed July 22, 2011 at 12:45 pm

make french toast with the rudi’s and once it’s soaked, coat it in crushed pb puffins. your life will never be the same.

tina July 22, 2011 at 12:55 pm

can’t wait to hear the new brand of nut butter you are lovin’ ….. salad looks amazing, rudi’s is delish too (completely gfree over here);)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga July 22, 2011 at 1:50 pm

My guess is that your new nut butter is a Naturally Nutty one. I know Katie lives there and I am sure you got some flavor of sunflower seed butter, maybe the chocolate one? Or else a flavored Almond Butter of some sort. She has SO many AMAZING flavor combos!

Sounds like you picked up a few goodies…but didn’t buy the store down. That’s always a success in my book. I just posted about doing the grocery store shuffle yesterday. From one to the next for all the items I “need”. lol

Erika @ The Teenage Taste July 22, 2011 at 4:35 pm

I can’t blame you for breaking down and buying that stuff. Bread, nut butter, and tortilla chips are staples for me!

Liz July 22, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Taste of the Wild is a great food! The ingredients list makes me a happy dog-mom.

alli July 22, 2011 at 7:46 pm

you have my permission to get tahini. i NEED you to try this sauce i made the other day. i think i made it up, but i very well may have seen it on your blog at one point or another. i mixed equal parts tahini sauce (it’s from trader joes….i cant seem to find regular tahini) and nutritional yeast and add a little water to thin it out. i poured it over spaghetti squash mixed with peas, zucchini and yellow crookneck squash. oh. my. gosh. it was SO good. my husband loved it….which says a lot :)

HEAB July 23, 2011 at 9:53 am

Alli,
Haha – yes, that combo is a staple at our dinner table (for me anyway. For CD, not so much). Works really well with sunflower seed butter as well, and I also love using Brewer’s yeast instead of nutritional yeast. YUM. Miss both!

Baking N Books July 22, 2011 at 8:36 pm

I’ve been eating Puffins (a.k.a Crack) right out of the box…milk or no milk I can’t be stopped! ;)

LOL – well, considering what you WANTED to buy – you did awesome!! I say a successful trip. I would be crazy – and go back to the store the next day to get more stuff – even if I didn’t eat it, it’s like “security” knowing it’s there.

How long are you on your trip for? Also – I saute my veggies all the time – I love them like that – but I’m wondering if I’m over-cooking them? They do get rather wilty and slimy like…?

Katherine July 22, 2011 at 8:52 pm

How about cashew butter?

HEAB July 23, 2011 at 9:50 am

Katherine,
Nope, it’s an almond butter but good guess! :)

cate July 22, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Is the new nut butter Rawtella?

You are far braver than I to travel without lots of staple foods. I go nuts without my own familiar things.

HEAB July 23, 2011 at 9:50 am

Cate,
No, but I wish! Never tried Rawtella, and it sounds amazing.

Cherie July 22, 2011 at 11:05 pm

Thanks for the tip on Taste of the Wild. I looked it up and found out they sell it at a place by us. Our dog & cat are going to be so happy! Glad your enjoying the trip!

HEAB July 23, 2011 at 9:49 am

Cherie,
You are welcome. My pups are loving it! :)

Hannah July 23, 2011 at 12:02 am

Oh, cruel world! Apart from the sunflower seed butter, everything you bought or long for are out of my reach! Can’t wait to hear what this fantastic new nut butter is, though. I’ll prepare myself for the inevitable envy ;)

Casey July 23, 2011 at 5:31 am

Haha, I go a little crazy without carob, green veggie juices and organic coconut. Oh and my blender, juicer, and sharp knives. Ok so I’m a little attached… ;) . Hope the change of scenery has been awesome!

HEAB July 23, 2011 at 9:48 am

Casey,
The knife collection where we are staying is AWFUL. Oh how I miss my knives and good cutting board. Really, why do people buy glass cutting boards?!? Are they just for decor, b/c glass is the worst material to cut on ever – so freaking loud! OK I’ll stop complaining now and just be thankful for the lake views and cooler temps. I’ll be home to my good knives and array of cutting boards soon enough. :)
P.S. One more thing – really miss my cast iron!

Casey July 24, 2011 at 12:17 am

I know! Anytime we stay somewhere with an equipped kitchen, I always die at the cutting board and knifes – argh! Obviously these people don’t eat a lot of fresh food! :)

Quix July 23, 2011 at 7:52 pm

The first few days of vacation, I love the indulgence of different foods, but after that? So ready for normal food, so I feel ya. Hope you’re enjoying your vacay! :)

Emmy (Wine and Butter) July 24, 2011 at 4:29 am

Hi love! I know this is a food blog and not a dog blog, but Im so canine obsessed you just have to mention kibble and im off at the deep end. :) .
Louis and I are about to get out first dog together which I am just beyond excited about and Ive been reading up on dog food. At first I was all for a grain free food (although not carb free, because apparently dogs are omnivores?) – however I then heard from some sources that dogs not fed grains can become absolutely obsessed with eating them, to the extent of constnatly trying to raid the trash, eat carby vomit at the park (tasty!) etc etc. Interestingly my friend had the same problem feeding her autistic son a gluten free diet…. have you ever had this problem? Im not assuming that it would even mean you SHOULD give them grains but I was just wondering about your experience! I know youre on holiday so you can give a very quick answer; NO VOMIT EATING/ YES VOMIT EATING. LoVe LOVE! xox

HEAB July 24, 2011 at 10:01 am

Emmy,
Oh, how you make me laugh. We have had the pups on grain free dog food for years now and have had no vomit eating or trash digging. However, I must add that their food does contain sweet potatoes, and we often give them bites of granola bars as treats. Also, when we’ve run out of dog food, we’ve made them oatmeal or brown rice mixed with canned tuna or salmon. The only grain we really try and avoid giving them is wheat/gluten. They are happy pups.

Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out July 24, 2011 at 7:25 am

Yum on the taco salad. We accidentally had one the other day:

Courtney July 24, 2011 at 7:55 am

I feed my German Shepherd the bison Taste of the Wild and she does really well with it. Good stuff.

Hm, I just stocked up yesterday on Naturally Nutty at Great Harvest in Charlottesville, so that’s my guess! You should have seen my son in there – I asked him if he remembered the pumpkin seed butter we had last fall (which he thought was the best thing ever) and he said yes, and I told him we were getting a jar of that and some of the sunflower seed butter, and he looked at me and walked over to the Naturally Nutty display and just started grabbing as many jars and he could fit in his little arms. I had to tell him that I thought 6 jars might be a little excessive, but man alive that cracked me up!

HEAB July 24, 2011 at 9:56 am

Courtney,
Love it – that is great. Sounds like your son and I would get along splendidly. I’ve seen Kath’s photos of their Naturally Nutty stock, and I am so jealous. Sounds like things are going really well with the bakery – I knew Kath & Matt would make excellent Great Harvest bread owners. Please tell them HEAB says “Hi” next time you’re there. :)

The Delicate Place July 24, 2011 at 2:36 pm

haha how did you forget tahini?! the ultimate spreadable! ;)

Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) July 25, 2011 at 4:24 pm

That Rudi’s bread looks so deliciously thick and soft! I want to buy some.. I wonder if Trader Joe’s carries them..