CD Needs A Food Blog

by HEAB on August 1, 2011

CD and I often joke that his recipes are always more popular than mine, and since he is a great cook, I usually hand over all dinner making duties to CD when we travel. At home, we cook together using the same ingredients but usually end up with slightly different results. My meals are heavy on the veggies while Chris’s are heavy on the beef and butter. Love my beef and butter – just not as much as CD. However, since the produce in Fife Lake isn’t that great and the house we rented has a horrible knife collection, not to mention a glass cutting board (Gah!!! Cutting veggies on glass is so loud, and when you cut as many as I do, a wooden cutting board makes for a much quieter dinner prep), I just eat a lot of beef and butter right alongside my husband. The enormous piles of veggies will have to wait until I’m reunited with our CUTCO knives.

While in Fife Lake last year, Chris made dinner almost every night, and one of our favorite meals he created on a whim turned out to be his Almond Butter Chili.

We must have eaten it at least 2 or 3 nights a week and still love the recipe. This year’s award winning CD recipe? Burgers!

CD'sBurgers.jpg

Burgers with onions and mushrooms.

CDBurger&Spinach.jpg

Burgers with onions and spinach.

CDBurgersNKraut.psd

Burgers with onions and sauerkraut.

We can’t wait to get home and try this recipe with our Buttermyd stash and fresh garlic. Make this recipe. Do not skimp on the butter. Just like Ashley’s Beer Baked Fries, I think proposals will be made over this recipe. :)

The Healthy Hipster August 1, 2011 at 10:20 am

These look beyond delicious! I am on such a sauerkraut kick lately too…
“Do not skimp on the butter” = life mantra. :)

Jennie (the gf-gf) August 1, 2011 at 10:21 am

I have made CD’s almond butter chili, and it was delicious!

It looks like CD might share the same motto as my boyfriend – when in doubt, throw a little extra garlic salt on it ;-)

HEAB August 2, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Jennie,
Haha – so true. They think butter and garlic salt covers all wrongs. ;)

glidingcalm August 1, 2011 at 10:21 am

dang! I would love CD to make me a burger!!!

Alyssa August 1, 2011 at 10:21 am

Holy cow (sorry!) those look GOOD!!!!!

Katie August 1, 2011 at 10:22 am

My mom has a glass cutting board and I hate that thing with a passion. Whoever came up with that idea had a death wish. The knives slip, the moise makes me want to stab myself, and they are not even easier to clean. I guess the point is that they don’t “hold” the meat germs? Totally not worth it.

robyn jones clark August 1, 2011 at 10:30 am

oh my. that looks. so good. yum.

Jill August 1, 2011 at 10:32 am

Butter DOES make all the difference with hamburgers. And I just have to say that Earth Balance does NOT taste very good-kind of like vegetable oil? It also has a ton of weird ingredients, so I’m just sticking with butter!

I also made a REALLY awesome chickpea curry last night (from Betty Crocker, of all things) that was so healthy and maybe even better than the similar Eat Live Run recipe. Super quick, too-the fire roasted tomatoes are what makes it, I think. http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/chick-pea-and-tomato-curry/9a688017-52a6-4d71-8d91-4d2824065365

Keep loving Michigan! Sort of jealous that you can actually WALK OUTSIDE comfortably w/o 99 degree weather and 300% humidity :-)

HEAB August 2, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Jill,
I think you need to make that curry for our next get-together. Yum, that sounds so good right about now! I’ll bring the Kerrygold. :)
Miss you – wish you were here to go on a walk with us!

HEAB August 2, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Jill, just realized there is NO butter in that recipe. We will HEABify. ;)

Baking N Books August 1, 2011 at 10:33 am

I think I need to hop on the Butter Bandwagon? Un-salted variety?

How many burgers does this make?

Thanks CD :)

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) August 1, 2011 at 10:35 am

Half a stick of butter just made my carotid clog up. Luckily CD is a Lance Armstrongesque type so I’m sure it just flushes through him.

Why not buy one of those plastic cutting boards at the store- surely they sell those? And you can take it home with you. You can also get a cheap knife- I’d die without a good chef’s knife!

HEAB August 2, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Deb,
We’ve moved on to another house, and thankfully, the cutting board/knife situation is much improved!

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 1, 2011 at 10:39 am

I wish my boyfriend cooked :(

Holly @ The Runny Egg August 1, 2011 at 10:40 am

I *love* CD’s almond butter chili — we have had that countless times in the past few months. I so need to try these burgers — does it get any better than beef + butter? I don’t think so.

HEAB August 2, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Holly,
Yes, it always makes me happy when you link to CD’s chile recipe. Thanks for being such a dedicated fan, and no, it does not get better than beef + butter…although butter + toast is pretty darn good. ;)

Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories August 1, 2011 at 10:43 am

It looks like you guys have some award winning sides to go with your burgers as well. I am definitely a fan of the sauerkraut. But then again, I’m Polish, so I guess it makes sense. :)

Roz@weightingfor50 August 1, 2011 at 10:59 am

Damn, these look good. Butter makes EVERYTHING better!

the delicate place August 1, 2011 at 11:04 am

::drool:: i’m coming over! nate is the meat master in our household. i’m on veggie duty and he preps/grills the meat. his dry brine mix is incredible!

HEAB August 2, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Delicate Place,
That’s the one thing CD had yet to master…the grill. We don’t own one…yet anyway. ;)

Emilia @ Namaste Gurl August 1, 2011 at 11:51 am

I’m rooting for CD to create a blog– I’m sure it’d be quite popular knowing you’ve turned many people onto his recipes :) !
So true to stay flexible when traveling. Such a tough thing for me to do when recently on vacation. Let’s just say I walked into the kitchen of my Kauai condo and was shocked to see no kitchen utensils, storage or room of any sorts! I can’t complain too much though as I was in Hawaii :-)
xoxo

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey August 1, 2011 at 11:58 am

Oh my husband would love to be married to CD. ;) Tose burgers look better than anything I’ve ever tried to make!

Charlotte August 1, 2011 at 11:58 am

You know, out here in the Midwest “butter burgers” are considered a regional delicacy – we even have our own restaurant chain, Culver’s, dedicated to them! The butter really does make it amazing! And I still need to try CD’s chili recipe – looks amazing.

HEAB August 2, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Charlotte,
Yes, I’ve seen Culvers all over MI…avoiding them. Frozen custard = crack.

Alexandra (Veggin' Out in the Kitchen) August 1, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Ooooooh YUM! It’s times like these that make me wish I still ate meat :) But I guess I could make veggie burgers and then just use the same cooking method! I see hope in sight ;)

Have a fabulous, fun weekend, Heather!!

<3 <3

Dea August 1, 2011 at 12:20 pm

yumm! I want to try the saurkraut one! Perhaps you can have a reoccurring thing of what CD made?
Also, while in university I sold Cutco, and have a stash of them myself. love love love them!

HEAB August 2, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Dea,
Yes, CD totally needs his own series here on HEAB. He’ll never start a food blog of his own. ;)

Kat August 1, 2011 at 12:38 pm

I love my cutco too :)
glass — gah, it’s like nails on a chalkboard! doesn’t dinner always taste better when someone else makes it?!

HEAB August 2, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Kat,
YES! Always. :)

Liz Dean August 1, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Hmmmmm….Yes he does!!! ;) And since I just snagged some GF hamburger buns this weekend, I see these in my immediate future (like dinner tonight).

Oh, and I heart Cutco…I have been using them for forever! :)

Susan August 1, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Yep, he certain does. Or at the very least a special segment on HEAB. Maybe CD’s Saturdays?

I love love chili out of nut butter jars.

HEAB August 2, 2011 at 2:05 pm

CD’s Saturdays – that is great! :)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga August 1, 2011 at 1:34 pm

I love that you said CD needs his own blog :)

My husband has so many products he wants to sell that every other week he’s like babe, I think your readers would really like xyz. And I look at him like he’s nuts most of the time :)

Bad knives and a glass cutting board. I feel like that’s worse than nails on a chalkboard. Gah!!!!

HEAB August 2, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Averie,
That is too funny. CD is always coming with ideas for my blog as well. Men and their money making ideas! ;)

Ashley August 1, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Hahah, thanks for the shout out!! I’ve definitely tried the butter + burger method when I was eating meat, and it was outstanding! I love that you cover them in veggies. yummers!

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free August 1, 2011 at 1:41 pm

If a burger is loaded with onions, then I’m a happy camper!

Riss August 1, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Love a man who can cook. You’re a lucky lady, Heather! You both are just perfect for each other. Can’t wait until Summer starts cooking… I can only imagine the creations she’ll come up with having you two as her culinary inspiration!

HEAB August 2, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Riss,
I can’t wait either and often wonder if Summer will prefer regular butter or almond butter. ;)

nadia August 1, 2011 at 6:09 pm

omg!!! DELICIOUS! drroool. wont you and CD cook me some dinner?? :) :)
i love that you said proposals will be made over that recipe! haha…
xoxo

Katherine August 1, 2011 at 7:55 pm

The onions and spinach looks amazing!

Angel7 August 1, 2011 at 8:11 pm

I love the idea of burgers with sauerkraut! I would have never thought to put that on a burger.

michelle August 1, 2011 at 8:56 pm

I so empathize with you! I’m in a furnished rental looking for a home and by far the worst part is the knives. Why or why does the dollar store sell knives? and who the hell thought up glass cutting boards?

HEAB August 2, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Michelle,
Yes and YES!!! I don’t get it either.

sally kate @themoxiegirl August 1, 2011 at 10:06 pm

i hate glass cutting boards. so much!!!

Kilee August 1, 2011 at 10:50 pm

You should add a page on your blog just for him! He could have his own recipes and commentary on what he thinks about your recipes.

Your burgers look amazing!

HEAB August 2, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Kilee,
Now that is a very good idea. CD’s commentary can get quite entertaining – let’s just say he is not a fan of my oversized bowls of mush and always has something to say about them. ;)

Hannah August 1, 2011 at 11:12 pm

Sauerkraut! Oh yes, oh yes :) But gosh, your mention of glass cutting boards made me cringe, as they’re so bad for knives (my dad has taught me well :P )

P.S. Guess whose NuNaturals stevia arrived at work today? WHEEE!

HEAB August 2, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Hannah,
Wheee indeed! You must let me know what you think. :)

Glass cutting boards…I will never understand.

Kath (My Funny Little Life) August 2, 2011 at 5:29 am

My mom used to make burgers like that, but I love that these are even more simple! And topped with a mountain of roasted onions, everything is just great. :D

Glass cutting boards are THE HORROR! 8O I always use a wooden one, too. Have you tried cutting the veggies “up in the air”? I sometimes do that when I make a stew and cut them above the post directly. It works well if the knife isn’t super sharp. Or just cut pieces that are a little bigger (carrots slice lengthwise etc), that works, too.

HEAB August 2, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Kath,
Air cutting – now why didn’t I think to do that? Sometimes I miss the most simple solutions. We’re in a different house now, and the cutting board/knife situation is much better! :)

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli August 2, 2011 at 6:00 am

Hmm, I’ve never thought to fry burgers in butter…oh, that CD…what a genius! Can’t wait to give these a go! And I think a mountain of sauteed mushrooms will definitely be making an appearance with them! Mmm! ;)

HEAB August 2, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Heather,
Men and their butter…it’s a good thing…a very good thing. ;)

Stephanie @ extremebalance.net/blog August 2, 2011 at 11:06 am

I sense a game! Let’s play “name CD’s hypothetical blog”, and the winner gets… um… the warm glow of participation? ;)

PS: whatever happened to that tub of mustard you guys were working through?

HEAB August 2, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Stephanie,
THE MUSTARD!!! We finished it off on January 15, and believe it or not, I had two winners who guessed the exact date. Now, we’re working our way through the Buttermyd, or at least we were until we left Nashville. Missing our Kerrygold!

Courtney August 2, 2011 at 12:23 pm

YUM! Those look delicious :)

Emilie August 2, 2011 at 12:35 pm

These. Burgers. Look. Amazing.

Beautiful!

Ellie@fitforthesoul August 2, 2011 at 4:58 pm

aaahhh! CD’s so talented! this burger sounds and looks so good~Kinda gourmet in my opinion!

{ 1 trackback }