Life On The Road

by HEAB on August 4, 2011

I like to keep things simple when we travel.

My favorite snack these days? Boxes of raisins. Portable, easy, delicious, and raisins do not melt (If warm temps were not a factor, you know I’d be eating Bakers!). Random fact: I despised raisins until I was in college. Not sure why I started liking them – probably had something to do with raisin bran. I lived on cereal while at Auburn.

SunMaidRaisins.psd

At home, I use unscented shampoo and conditioner. My hair is thick and requires a lot of shampoo. Therefore, if I use anything scented, you can smell me from a mile away. Back when I was working as a massage therapist, I skipped wearing perfume and always asked my clients’ permission before using scented lotions/oils. Apparently, most men don’t like smelling like lavender and eucalyptus. Who knew? Anyway, I got so used to using unscented products that now I can’t really handle strong smells myself. Normally, I purchase unscented products online, but while traveling, they’re often hard to come by. You can usually find unscented shampoo in the baby aisle, but conditioner can be a challenge. So when we arrived in Michigan, I took Katie’s advice and tried baking soda and vinegar to wash and condition my hair. It works great! Honestly, I can’t believe how easily the tangles comb out with the vinegar. For more info, check out Nourishing Flourishing’s post on the topic.

BakingSoda&Vinegar.psd

Cheapest shampoo and conditioner I’ve ever purchased!

During our summer trips, my exercise always consists of lots of dog walking, and this year is no different, except now I walk two dogs and push a stroller. Summer, Radley, Einstein, and I usually walk 2 to 3 miles every morning, and then the whole family takes an evening walk together before Summer goes to bed. In addition to walking, I’ll sometimes do yoga or a few push-ups if I feel like it, but I haven’t had the desire to do anything intense these days. I just want to be outside.

As far as traveling with a baby goes, it hasn’t been a big change for us. We packed Summer’s essentials, but there were many items we left at home. For meals, she sits in my lap, and instead of packing her baby tub, I just take baths with her. We brought a few of her favorite toys, but these days, she’s just as happy with mama’s empty raisin box.

SummerRaisinBox2.jpg

Over the years, I’ve learned that packing my entire closet and kitchen for family vacations isn’t at all necessary. What matters most is our time spent together, relaxing and enjoying each other’s company…again, no Vita-Mix required. :)

P.S. Please click here for the winner of my Lofty Locks giveaway.

Kelly August 4, 2011 at 6:54 pm

I agree about traveling with Summer and packing light. I have noticed that kids usually react to you so if you act like that box of raisins is the coolest thing you’ve seen then they will too. :) I think you are such a great “mommy inspiration”

HEAB August 6, 2011 at 11:42 am

Oh gosh, thanks Kelly. That means a lot. :)

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free August 4, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Simplicity is key.

I saw Katie’s “Shampoo,” too and am extremely tempted to try it. I am a little hesitant because I’m scared my hair will because a greasy, flat, body-less mess (which it does if I don’t shampoo it). Worth a shot, though!

And that might be one of my favorite pics of summer so far! So cute with those adorable chubby cheeks :D :D :D

HEAB August 6, 2011 at 11:41 am

Thanks Alex. Yeah, I would try smaller amounts of baking soda for your hair. Most people who I know that love the method have really thick out of control hair, and it seems to help tame the frizz. Not sure how it will work on fine straight hair.

Kilee August 4, 2011 at 6:59 pm

That photo of Summer is precious! This sounds like such a relaxing and enjoyable vacation! I hope that you can kick back and enjoy every second of it.

Dea August 4, 2011 at 7:02 pm

I am so jealous! I tried the baking soda and ACV on my hair and it doesn’t work. sadly. ACV will work as a detangler though, but soda leaves my hair super dry and I followed all of the rules and stuff. boo. Oh well.
So I am all about not a lot of baby stuff. But my weakness is toys for my kids. My house is overflowing with toys. I’m working hard on purging them, it’s hard!

katie @KatieDid August 5, 2011 at 2:04 pm

I suggest lessening the ratio of baking soda to water. Just use maybe 1/2 Tbsp and see if that works better for your hair!

Paige August 4, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Summer is such a cutie pieeee! Have fun in Michigan, Heather!:)

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) August 4, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Not that kids and cats are the same, but we find that our kitties are just as happy with a crumpled post-it note as with the $9 feather teaser :-)

Bid August 5, 2011 at 4:33 am

Sparty’s new love.. 16 oz Diet Pepsi twist tops.. (aaaand there are a lot of them in my days) He must have all of them… immediately after he hears the opening crack… has millions but needs to cull most recently opened..i swear he can tell it’s cold.. and it’s ugly if you try to hold out on him ;-) .

…and um kids and cats ARE the same…!!!

HEAB August 6, 2011 at 11:39 am

Bid,
I must meet Sparty someday!

Shayla @ The Good Life August 4, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Sounds like you’re having a fabulous vacation! And I absolutely love the picture of Summer, so precious…and I love her little bottom lip pout! :)

Eden August 4, 2011 at 7:17 pm

HA! I carry a box of raisins ALWAYS in my handbag incase of SHICEMAO (so hungry I could eat my arm off). Also always have tampons or as I like to call them, vagina plugs!

HEAB August 6, 2011 at 11:38 am

Eden,
Vagina Plugs – Tampax and Platex are totally missing out on a great slogan. ;)

Meagan August 4, 2011 at 7:22 pm

Loved your last comment, AMEN!

Stacey @Starpulp August 4, 2011 at 7:24 pm

I used to love raisins until just a few weeks ago! My bf told me a few weeks ago about how he was opening a box of raisins when he was a kid (like 3-4) and a bug crawled out of the box! Ugh, I tried to eat some a few days ago, I just could NOT do it!! lol

HEAB August 6, 2011 at 11:36 am

Stacey,
Yes, I’ve heard about bugs in raisins – that’s why I won’t eat boxes that have been sitting around for ages. They frighten me.

Hannah August 4, 2011 at 7:26 pm

White vinegar hair washes have always been my family’s trick for times of dandruff or itchy scalps (lovely comment, Hannah! :P ) but I didn’t know the baking soda part!

Also… Baker’s over raisins any day. Squidgy things *shudder* :P

HEAB August 6, 2011 at 11:36 am

“Squidgy” – That word makes me smile…in fact, I think I like it better than “haystacks”. ;)

Hannah August 6, 2011 at 10:33 pm

We’re building up quite a heirarchy of words, aren’t we? :D

Mimi (Gingersnaps) August 4, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Summer’s getting so big!

I’ve heard about people only using a mix of oils, vinegar, and baking soda for cleaning needs. Glad it’s got an endorsement!

…sugar makes a good scrub. Just sayin’.

HEAB August 6, 2011 at 11:34 am

Mimi,
Yes, it does! Whenever I make any baked good that involves sugar, I love mixing with my hands and then scrubbing them with all the sugar before rinsing off. Best tasting hand scrub ever. :)

katie @KatieDid August 4, 2011 at 7:48 pm

aww SO happy that you’ve stuck with the poo-less routine! I love to keep a simple life. Hopefully you can take what your learning and doing on vacation back home with you too! (p.s. not sure if this already posted but I couldn’t see my comment so here is attempt 2)

Missy August 4, 2011 at 7:49 pm

Have you noticed that the Sun Maid girl has gotten botox and maybe a boob job? Seriously…she is not the SunMaid girl of yore.

Sigh….Aunt Jemima’s gonna go Barbie doll next.

HEAB August 6, 2011 at 11:32 am

Missy,
Haha – yes, I think you’re right! Miss Sun Maid is looking quite svelte these days. ;)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) August 4, 2011 at 7:55 pm

I have gotten so much better about packing light. I hate carrying tons of crap only to realize that I didn’t need most of it. Summer is getting so big. She is so cute. I hope you’re enjoying your trip!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List August 4, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Love taking baths with my kids…kills two birds with one stone! And Summer is quite cute!

Lorne August 4, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Your kinda of holiday sounds like my kind of holiday :0)

I am keen to know more about your shampoo adventures, is the vinegar not stinky?

HEAB August 6, 2011 at 11:30 am

Lorne,
Not really. I get a few whiffs of the vinegar while my hair dries but never notice it after that.

pure2rawtwins August 4, 2011 at 8:11 pm

We have tried baking soda and vinegar too after seeing Katie blog about it, and surprised I liked it. Although since moving in my new place I have not done it again, need to change that.

I have sensitive skin, so I have to be careful with scented things. I do not even wear perfume anymore, I used to love it. haha times have changed I guess

Michelle

Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 4, 2011 at 8:13 pm

I definitely need to learn how to keep things simple when traveling. Especially with clothes. I ALWAYS pack way too much. As in, practically my entire closet…but I still wear the same things over and over and hardly touch half of the clothes I bring.

HEAB August 6, 2011 at 11:29 am

Mary, that was my problem as well. I always wear the same outfits over and over. Not sure why I had to pack at least 2 white t-shirts and 2 long sleeve white t-shirts and then never wear any of them!

Holly @ The Runny Egg August 4, 2011 at 8:15 pm

I was actually just checking back to Katie’s post about using baking soda as shampoo — I’m planning on trying it this weekend (when I don’t have to work in case I’m looking really greasy). Good to know you like it too!

Alyssa August 4, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Cutie pie!
When my daughter was 8 months old we went on vacation to Mexico. Instead of packing up her Pack-n-Play, we used an empty laundry basket. She really liked it!

HEAB August 6, 2011 at 11:24 am

Alyssa,
The laundry basket is a GREAT idea. Must remember that one for future trips!

Felicia (Natural + Balanced) August 4, 2011 at 8:28 pm

I’m not even a parent yet and I’ve learned that you can buy kids all the toys in the world, and they will be entertained by the cardboard box that it came in more than the toy itself…
I, on the other hand, need to travel with my vita. hehe :)

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 4, 2011 at 8:36 pm

It looks like Summer likes those raisins too :)

Roz@weightingfor50 August 4, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Hi Heather, love packing as light as you can! And oooh, can’t wait to try the vinegar/soda conditioner!!! Love the photo of Summer with raisins too. You are giving her such a great foundation for healthy living. All the best.

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing August 4, 2011 at 8:52 pm

Heather, I’m so glad you are digging the ‘poo-less…’poo! (awkward.) The best part, I think, is the conditioner. I will never give up the ACV conditioner — it is seriously better than any other I’ve ever shelled out major cash for! And, as you said, way cheaper. Extra love for that.

Great to see you just getting to enjoy your time together as a family. Simplicity is so important for that. I’m slowly leaving my OCD cooler-packing tendencies behind ;)

HEAB August 6, 2011 at 11:22 am

Katie,
Poo is a common topic in our household these days. No awkwardness on my end. Trust me. :)

Cynthia (It All Changes) August 4, 2011 at 8:52 pm

Summer looks so cute! Boxes are always the best toys at home or away.

Brandy Bennett August 4, 2011 at 9:01 pm

I’ve been doing the baking soda/ACV wash for about 6 months now and I love it. I used to wash my hair daily and it looked like a grease pit by the time I got home from work. Now I can go day’s between washes and it still looks great. I keep a squeeze bottle with a nozzle on it (like you apply hair color with) in the shower and do my baking soda mix in it, makes it super easy just to apply to the roots and I keep a spray bottle of the vinegar solution. My hair has never looked better and my wallet is loving it! I also gave up soap and my acne went with it. I actually love my skin now. Who knew all this time I was just making it worse with all the toxic chemicals I was dumping on it.

HEAB August 6, 2011 at 11:21 am

Brandy,
So great to hear you’ve had such good results. 3 weeks for me so far, and my hair is looking great. When we get home, I plan to start using your squeeze bottle and spray bottle method. Thanks for the tip! What do you use instead of soap?

Brandy Bennett August 6, 2011 at 5:08 pm

I made some salt/sugar scrubs with some almond oil to exfoliate with, but for the most part I just use water and a wash cloth. If the weather is extra hot I use the same vinegar solution that I use in my hair in my smellier regions (armpits, etc). And I moisturize with Coconut Oil. I read somewhere once that our skin is naturally acidic and yet we wash it with alkaline soap and this causes an imbalance in the natural chemistry of our skin. Just using the vinegar rinse keeps it acidic…and my skin seems to love it. I also started using the Oil Cleaning Method on my face and my skin has never looked better (Castor/Sunflower Oil) mixture. Oh yeah, went to a family reunion today and actually got a couple compliments on how nice my hair was……that never happened when I was using shampoo.

Baking N Books August 4, 2011 at 9:42 pm

The first “full-on” picture of Summer I’ve seen! Adorable. My how she’s grown.

Good taste. I LOVE raisins…too much.

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) August 5, 2011 at 1:51 am

I’m so intrigued by the baking soda and vinegar for hair care! I am going to try it. I have been thinking about making my own shampoo and conditioner, but this sounds even better. So awesome. Thank you for sharing this idea! I clicked over to the other link–very cool.

Awww, Summer with the raisin box is ADORABLE!

You’re so right. I totally over-pack when we travel, so the next time I am going to keep it simplistic and remind myself that it’s not the end of the world to be without the kitchen sink. :)

Bid August 5, 2011 at 4:26 am

Raisins.. love them.. but they hate me… PB… ;-)

Apple Cider Vinegar…. another doggie groomers secret…!!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga August 5, 2011 at 5:48 am

“she’s just as happy with mama’s empty raisin box.”
That is the story of children. You could buy them the most expensive toys, put tons of thought into toys and what you buy, selecting “age appropriate” and intellectually “stimulating” toys but it’s the frayed dirty shoelace, the wooden spoon and the raisin box that steal the show every time.

And you’re doing the no-poo’ing ‘shampoo’ method as it’s referred to around here…wow! Impressed. I am not hugely into chemicals but I will gladly take them on my hair. I just have never been able to get on board with natural deodorant or natural hair products and/or no pooing.

Keep me posted longer term how you like it! I have lots of friends who’ve been doing it for YEARS! And they love it.

samantha August 5, 2011 at 6:17 am

Simple is often best! My husband and I (we’re both trying to lose weight but not be uber restrictive with WHAT we eat, just how much) were just talking today about your weight loss journey and how you honor what you want to eat, stay in motion, but don’t go crazy with diets or exercise. Definitely a great example to many of us out here, and to your little one.

HEAB August 6, 2011 at 11:13 am

Thanks Samantha – your comment means a lot as I truly hope to set a good example for Summer. I’m trying. :)

Stefanie August 5, 2011 at 6:42 am

Summer is getting so big. Before you know it, she will be walking. Enjoy the rest of your vacation.

Alisa August 5, 2011 at 8:08 am

Heather – this is really random – we met at the Shelby Bottoms 5K last year. Well, we’re expecting in January and I need a good prenatal yoga class/studio rec. Thanks so much!

HEAB August 6, 2011 at 11:09 am

Hi Alisa,
Yes, I remember you and many congrats. So exciting! I took prenatal yoga classes from Bethany Hard. She is wonderful! Here is her website: http://www.bethanyhard.com/about/. Love Bethany. My friend Molly was teaching prenatal at Yoga Country, but she is moving to Atlanta this week, and I’m not sure if they will continue offering the classes or not. I hope so as Nashville needs more prenatal/postnatal yoga options as it helped me so much. Best of luck to you Alisa. Mamahood is amazing, and we should totally get together for play dates next summer! :)

Courtney August 5, 2011 at 8:53 am

Aww, what a cute photo of Summer! :D

Kat August 5, 2011 at 8:56 am

Florida heat always makes me think twice about melty snacks :)
I need to try the vinegar for conditioner – I keep thinking it won’t work since my hair is so thick and curly (I’m envisioning a massive rat’s nest, lol)

HEAB August 6, 2011 at 11:05 am

Kat,
I thought the same thing, but it totally worked!

Nolita August 5, 2011 at 9:46 am

I tried the baking soda and vinegar again a couple of weeks ago but I found that I could still smell the vinegar later in the day when I was outside in the hot sun (no likey). I think maybe it works best on thick or curly hair. Or maybe I need to get the vinegar without the mother or dilute it more. I use ACV with bentonite clay every once in a while and my family shuns me when I have the mask on due to the stink. ;.(

Jen August 5, 2011 at 10:10 am

I don’t like strong scents either. When I was younger, I would go into Bath & Body Works and spritz myself with every fruity spray they had. Yuck.

I’ve actually been meaning to try the baking soda and vinegar thing. I have long hair, so I’m always reluctant to try ideas like this because my hair needs a lot of conditioner. But the method keeps getting good reviews, so I guess I should give it a shot!

By the way, you and CD are so lucky. Summer is precious. I can’t wait to have a baby one day.

Lauren August 5, 2011 at 10:22 am

So cute :D

the delicate place August 5, 2011 at 10:29 am

i actually really like warm raisins, they get soft and plump! my fave snacks are cashews, anything with tahini on it, hard boiled eggs, and avocado with lime and flaked sea salt. i’ve embarked on the whole30 challenge (aug 1) and i am def loving it so far eating this way!

HEAB August 6, 2011 at 11:00 am

DelicateP,
I don’t know about this challenge, but I think I need to.

janetha @ meals & moves August 5, 2011 at 11:14 am

Oh my gosh–Summer’s eyelashes! I died.

meghan @ struggle muffins August 5, 2011 at 1:10 pm

You’ve such a wealth of simple go-to health and all purpose ‘life’ solutions (for me at least!) – I love this shampoo/ conditioner idea. I’ve cut down on my scented products a LOT since I’ve started doing yoga. It wasn’t a conscious decision so much as a progressing intolerance of and aversion to flowery or intense smells. Now that I teach yoga I purposely stay away from too much scentification because I don’t want to upset the offend the ole’ olefactory senses of the students I adjust in my classes.

ps. Raisins rock the party. They taste better when they’re in mini boxes like that, too. I’m convinced.

HEAB August 6, 2011 at 10:57 am

Meghan,
Agree 100%. What is about those little boxes?!?

P.S. Love getting adjusted in yoga class. Also love when instructors press down on my lower back while in Child’s pose and my shoulders while in Savasana. Ahh, my favorite! :)

Sarah R August 5, 2011 at 2:49 pm

What a cute little girl you have. I’m glad the traveling has gone well. Did summer tolerate the drive ok? I think that would be our biggest struggle.

HEAB August 6, 2011 at 10:54 am

Sarah,
Oh gosh, I could not believe how easy the drive was. Summer literally did not fuss at all until the last 10 miles, and that’s only b/c it was getting close to her bedtime. We gave her her blanket & pacifier when it came time for naps (we keep her lamb blanket and pacifier in the crib and she only gets them when it’s time to go to sleep which makes her love getting in her crib), and she went right to sleep for both naps. I just fed in her while she sat in her car seat, and we stopped a total of 3 times for gas, diaper changes, and to let the dogs use the bathroom. Honestly, it could not have gone more smoothly.

Christine (The Raw Project) August 5, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Adorable pic of summer! Sounds like a great vacation!

Kristen, Sweetly August 5, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Oh my raisin bran. It’s like candy to me. (And this coming from the girl that just had two slices of ice cream cake this afternoon at work.) I love the idea of minimalist packing. But… I’ve still yet to work it out for myself. Haha. Maybe for my vacation at the end of this month, I should put it into use…

steph August 5, 2011 at 5:37 pm

How cute. Is Summer wearing a girls on the run shirt??

HEAB August 6, 2011 at 10:37 am

Steph,
Yes. Good eye. :)
We’re friends with the girl who started the Nashville chapter of GOTR, and she sent Summer a T-shirt after she was born.

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood August 6, 2011 at 7:54 am

I’ve always wanted to try the no-poo shampoo method while I was in Vegas, in fact I was dreaming of it mainly because the water left my hair feeling like I just plopped globs of gel on it. It was dry, but it didn’t have that dry feeling! I was so self-conscious the entire week…

Summer is just getting more and more bigger each day. I love her progression pictures!<3

Ameena August 6, 2011 at 10:10 am

Raisins are the best snack. I started eating them when I was carrying them around for my daughter but then got hungry myself!

I totally agree on the packing thing…I’ve learned that it’s okay if we don’t have everything we have at home with us on vacation!

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli August 6, 2011 at 10:34 am

Hmm, very curious about this shampoo-less method. I remember seeing it on NF a while back, but forgot all about it. I know our hair is about the same in thickness/texture so if you say it works for you, it’s definitely worth a try. Promise I won’t smell like vinegar all day? ;)

Over the years, I’ve learned that simpler is better…I don’t even use HALF the stuff I pack when I’m on vacation anyways! Haha!

Oh and I LOVE the new Chucks from your last post! Funky shoelaces are the best!

HEAB August 7, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Heather,
Promise. The vinegar is so diluted and except for a few whiffs while my hair dries, I don’t smell it all. Also, CD is super sensitive to smells and isn’t able to smell the vinegar at all. Try it. :)

Ana August 6, 2011 at 2:13 pm

I was going to ask if you brought the Vita with you! :-)
Packing light is the way to go, vacations are supposed to be relaxing and to get you away from your daily life, if you don’t know how to enjoy a few “new and different” days/routine and want to bring everything with you then maybe it is better to just stay home.
So interesting the thing about washing the hair that way. So, the hair really doesn’t smell like vinegar???? (I remember once I had lice and my mom used to clean my hair/scalp with warmed up vinegar, the smell was so awful that I have a little trauma!)

Brandy Bennett August 6, 2011 at 8:40 pm

The vinegar is pretty diluted so it’s not as bad as applying straight out warmed up vinegar, you really only smell it during application but it rinses completely out. I actually put a few cinnamon sticks in mine and afterwards my hair just smells kinda spicy.

HEAB August 7, 2011 at 7:17 pm

Brandy,
Love the cinnamon stick idea, and thanks for sharing your “soap” recipe. I am going to try that. CD isn’t a fan of soap but will use unscented bar soap when needed. Otherwise, he’s a water boy.

HEAB August 7, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Ana,
Nope, the vinegar is diluted and not too smelly. I do get an occasional whiff while my hair dries, but other than that, I promise it does not smell. Promise. :)

Maria @ Beautiful Busy Bee August 6, 2011 at 5:40 pm

The main reason I love having thick hair is that you can smell my shampoo from a mile away!!!! I use a tropical scent which I love. :)

VeggieGirl August 7, 2011 at 4:24 pm

HEAB!! I’m the worst friend to you, I know – I’m so sorry I haven’t been commenting lately :( Life is busy (but an AMAZING busy – life is better than ever). But I miss you!!

HEAB August 7, 2011 at 7:14 pm

VG,
NO WORRIES. Hello, I never comment any more either. Life happens, and that is a GOOD thing, but know I think of you often. When I get home, I promise I am calling you!!!! We get back to N’ville Labor Day weekend. Love you!

VeggieGirl August 7, 2011 at 7:17 pm

YAY!!! Can’t wait to hear your voice :) Love YOU! xoxo

Emilie August 8, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Wonderful tips here today! I use apple cider vinegar so often that I have to buy in bulk. It’s definitely a wonder when it comes to its many uses…

{ 2 trackbacks }