Lots O’ Links

by HEAB on August 10, 2011

Many thanks to Miranda, Averie, Ashley, and Katie for tagging me in their 7-Links posts. I’ve really enjoyed reading them and catching posts from some of my favorite bloggers that I might have missed. As of this fall, I will have been blogging for 3 years which is kind of crazy. HEAB was born out of boredom at work one day, and I literally thought I’d run out of things to say after a week or two. Guess not, huh? Thanks to everyone who stops by – I’m amazed and inspired by you guys everyday.

So, the rules of the game are to link to your favorite posts from seven different categories. For some categories, I simply could not choose, and so I present you with my Way More Than 7- Links post. Enjoy, and again, thanks for reading my blog.

1) Most Beautiful

201108102011.jpg

Summer’s birth story – I still go back and read this post myself from time to time. Even though my labor did not go quite as planned, it was an amazing and wonderful experience…the fact that it was short was quite nice as well.

2) Most Popular

Let’s see, the post that actually received the most hits is kind of embarrassing. I happened to post this recipe for a turd-filled burrito.

201108102017.jpg

Well, it was actually a refried bean + hummus cheeze sauce burrito, and although tasty, it wasn’t very pretty. What can I say? I was in my first trimester and craving cheese in and on everything. So, the turds seemed like a good idea at the time. However, unbeknownst to me, AOL published this interview with me on their homepage the very same day. I checked my blog stats, and they were through the roof. So, I quickly published this post welcoming any new readers.

Other popular posts:

The HEAB Diet

Confessions of A Former Runner

Protein Ice-Cream

CD’s Almond Butter Chili

Raw Oatgurt – So many people try this recipe. There have been many failures, but trust me, if you get it right, it’s amazing.

201108102110.jpg

Almond Butter Banana Nut Muffins

You’re Going to Give Up Greek Yogurt?!? – Why I don’t eat a lot of dairy (please ignore all my ice-cream posts as of late).

Oat Bran vs Rolled Oats & Oat Bran 101 – So funny, but these two posts started getting more traffic the day the Dukan Diet was discussed on the Today Show. Apparently, it’s the diet Kate Middleton followed to lose weight for her wedding, and it incorporates oat bran on a daily basis…but only 2 TBSP from what I understand. That is so wrong…so very wrong.

3) Most Controversial – The following posts all generated a lot of discussion and ever since, I’ve kind of kept things more lighthearted here at HEAB. I don’t like controversy.

4) Most Helpful

Blogging Tutorial – Whenever I get emails from new bloggers asking for advice, I always direct them to this post.

The HEAB Diet – I started my blog so that I could share my story in hopes of helping and inspiring others. This post is my story in a nutshell.

Confessions of A Former Runner – This post is all about my journey from a cardio junkie to a regular practitioner of yoga. Over two years later, and I’m still loving my yoga practice and not running.

5) Post Whose Success Surprised You

A Jar? A Bowl? Why Not Both? – The birth of Oats In A Jar

6) Not Enough Attention. Honestly, not many come to mind as I’m always excited whenever I hit publish and people take the time to read and comment. These are really the only two I can think of at the moment…

Ode to My Workout Videos – One of my very first posts. I remember laughing while writing it, but I really didn’t have many readers back then.

201108102113.jpg

Chocolate Mint Overnight Oats – Many of you tried my Overnight Cookie Dough Oatmeal, but I actually prefer the chocolate mint version myself.

7) Posts That You Are Most Proud Of. I’ve already mentioned most of them above, but truth be told, this is the one thing in life I am most proud of…Summer is the best thing I’ve ever done…well, besides marrying CD. :)

SumOnFloor.psd

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing August 10, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Love these links! I think back on your post about being a former runner, and it often encourages me because I’m surrounded by so many people who want me to get back into running. Nice to feel like someone can affirm my situation.

And Summer… Wow. You just *had* to put her hair in pigtails, didn’t you! Just trying to make my ovaries hurt… ;)

HEAB August 11, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Katie,
I’m here, affirming you from afar, always. :)

Bid August 10, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Not most proud of Vajayjay cake post??:(?

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats August 10, 2011 at 8:54 pm

I love that you and other bloggers are doing the 7-links post! I’ve gotten into reading online blogs over the past two months and this is a great way to catch up on the best posts!

HEAB August 11, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Thanks Katie, I’ve enjoyed reading them as well. It’s like a Greatest Hits. :)

Allison August 10, 2011 at 9:04 pm

The pictures of Summer are killing me. So cute! I have three and am officially DONE, but can’t wait for grandbabies one day :)

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com August 10, 2011 at 9:06 pm

I’ve been loving this posts in the blogosphere lately. Thanks for sharing, especially a photo or two, on cutie Summer :)

Amy @ ElephantEats August 10, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Summer has the most incredible eyes I’ve ever seen. Seriously amazing. And she’s so adorable! You’re right, she’s quite an accomplishment :)

HEAB August 11, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Thanks Amy. :)

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama August 10, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Omg Summer’s eyes! Incredible!

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 10, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Oh my lordy, Summer is so gorgeous!
I agree, her birth post was definitely a beautiful story. I’m pretty sure I cried when I read it for the first time :)

The Teenage Taste August 10, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Oh. My. Gosh.
That last picture of Summer wins the award for the cutest picture in the World. Her eyes are so pretty!

Katie August 10, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Oh my word, Summer is SUCH a peach. I can’t stand how adorable that face is!

Katie August 10, 2011 at 9:44 pm

I don’t know who started this 7 links thing, but I lvoed doing it myself! And I have loved reading everyone else’s too! Its so funny, but I remember so many of these posts!

Lisa August 10, 2011 at 9:48 pm

That last picture of Summer is adorable! You better tell CD to get ready to keep the future mass of suitors at bay! :)

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood August 10, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Ahhh I love Summer & her hairstyle! And I remember reading all those posts. Can you believe that I read through your entire blog from start to finish in just 2 weeks at work?! Work during that time was not productive at all… ;)

HEAB August 11, 2011 at 8:05 pm

Sylvia,
Yes! I remember when you first emailed me saying you read all my old posts (shuddering at the thought – haha, some embarrassing stuff out there on this blog!). Anyway, it was a year ago b/c I remember sitting in the parking lot of the Fife Lake, MI library reading your email. So, happy anniversary to us! :)

Hannah August 10, 2011 at 10:14 pm

Your post about the Dukan Diet and Kate Middleton just made my day. I love you.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga August 10, 2011 at 10:29 pm

Oh Heather, what a TRIP down MEMORY LANE! For me! Reading those titles.

I am about 6 mos behind you in terms of when we started our blogs so I remember being a new blogger and reading your blog and I thought you were such a total veteran…with like 4 mos blogging under your belt. I was in awe of you and blogging in general and the whole crazy ‘sphere.

And then I left San Diego and spent 9 long, lonely months in Phoenix and not only did I read every post you wrote then (still do) but I think I read and re-read most of them in your archives so all those posts from Don’t Do Moderation to CD’s AB Chili to Raw Oatgurt (and I remember the AOL feature, vividly!)..they are all part of my history, too, b/c Skylar was still nursing, she was still a baby…so this post almost makes ME cry b/c it makes me remember where I was as a mother and in life as I recall all of these old posts.

And yes, Summer is most beautiful and most proud. For sure.

Thanks for doing this post…I love it! :)

HEAB August 11, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Averie,
Can you believe we’re both still doing this and to think about how much we’ve both changed, our blogs too. I feel like we’ve both discover our true selves more and more everyday…only took 35 years and 2 baby girls. ;)

Emily August 10, 2011 at 10:41 pm

SO many of my favorite posts as a reader!! And I absolutely adore that picture of summer, she’s beautiful!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) August 10, 2011 at 11:26 pm

Most beautiful- yup.

courtney August 10, 2011 at 11:36 pm

A mere 2 tbsp oat bran?! No wonder it is a weight loss diet, that is clearly deprivation. I would starve.

Love THIS post, HEAB!!! Summer is beautiful, just like her mamma :)

HEAB August 11, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Thanks Courtney. :)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) August 11, 2011 at 12:22 am

Summer is absolutely gorgeous! Those tiny pigtails are fabulous. :)

AShley August 11, 2011 at 12:40 am

Great post Heather!!!! Love that last photo of Summer. Precious. Off to look at some of your old posts. :)

Aine @ Something to Chew Over August 11, 2011 at 5:12 am

Yay I love 7 links! It’s great to catch up on old posts I might have missed :)

Stephanie @ extremebalance.net/at blog August 11, 2011 at 5:57 am

you started blogging out of boredom, and I, a couple of times, started reading peoples’ blogs from the beginning forward. :D Yours was one, but I don’t think I ever finished it… so I remember the ode to workout videos, and being that someone would enjoy a home workout better than being in the gym. I get energy from everyone else’s energy. :D

Summer’s eyes are *too* much!

Stephanie @ extremebalance.net/at blog August 11, 2011 at 5:57 am

you started blogging out of boredom, and I, a couple of times, started reading peoples’ blogs from the beginning forward. :D Yours was one, but I don’t think I ever finished it… so I remember the ode to workout videos, and being surprised that someone would enjoy a home workout better than being in the gym. I get energy from everyone else’s energy. :D

Summer’s eyes are *too* much!

HEAB August 11, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Thanks for reading Stephanie. I always cringe when people say they’ve gone through my archives…glad you stuck around. :)

Stephanie August 12, 2011 at 9:52 am

I know the feeling. :) But if it helps, I actually think yours has stayed truest to its original voice—there’s nothing wrong with evolving, of course, but you seem to have been *you* right from the start, if that makes sense…

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli August 11, 2011 at 7:09 am

LOVE your links, Heather! I’ve done a lot of backtracking since discovering your blog last year, but I actually hadn’t seen many of the ones you posted here! And that last pic of Summer is THE cutest! Hope you’re having a great week!

A Teenage Gourmet August 11, 2011 at 7:09 am

I gasped at that picture of Summer! She is so beautiful, with piercing eyes. Answering your question earlier: Samantha accepted full tuition at the University of Louisville. :)

HEAB August 11, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Sami,
Thanks and please tell Samantha I said congrats! :)

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat August 11, 2011 at 7:11 am

I love reading about Summer :)

Riss August 11, 2011 at 7:15 am

Okay, I think you already know that I’m regular reader. But I have to fess-up. Ever since I saw that Ashley tagged you in her 7-links post, I’ve been checking daily, hoping to see this post!! Hurray!

I also have to tell you that after clicking on your link for Overnight Cookie Dough Oats, I actually GOT OUT OF BED to make them for a snack today. Can’t wait to dig in!

HEAB August 11, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Riss,
Really? That makes me feel so loved. Thank you.
Hope you enjoyed the cookie dough oats!

charlotte August 11, 2011 at 8:44 am

Aww, I love it! I remember when you very first started blogging! It’s been so fun to go through this journey with you and I gotta agree – Summer is my fave thing about your site too;) Although the maple nut oaties are a close second!

And I feel your pain with the Turd Burrito post. To this day my posts that get the most hits are generally ones that embarrass me (*audrey hepburn* cough cough)

Nolita August 11, 2011 at 9:06 am

Haven’t gone through all of the posts yet but I had so say how CUTE that pic of Summer is! Love the expression on her face! Funny that your turd filled burrito has so many hits. I have a photo of Aubri at the lake with a diaper full of lake water (she was not supposed to get IN the water) and in the description I put something about it looking like “Aunt Fannie” from the movie Robots and THAT pic gets a lot of hits.

the delicate place August 11, 2011 at 9:26 am

she is getting cuter every single friggin day. i love your blog heab! you were the first ‘healthy living blog’ i found after reading marks daily apple. i’m honestly not quite sure how i landed here probably searching for almond butter but i’m glad i stayed!

HEAB August 11, 2011 at 7:36 pm

DP,
So glad you found me as well. I feel like we have a lot in common, and I cannot wait to come over for dinner! ;)

Cate August 11, 2011 at 9:27 am

Summer looks just like you!!!

And I love this post. It’s got all my favorite HEAB posts lined up all nice ‘n tidy. :) Thank you for sharing all your thoughts and experiences (and recipes!) over the years. It’s helped me and my health a lot.

HEAB August 11, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Cate,
You are so welcome. Thanks for reading! :)

Jen August 11, 2011 at 10:07 am

I love the picture of the turd-filled burrito, because it’s so typical of me to look at one of your unappetizing pictures and actually think it looks good! It’s hilarious that that’s your most popular post. Oh, and that’s probably the cutest picture of Summer EVER. Look how much older she’s gotten from the first picture in this post to the last!

HEAB August 11, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Jen,
I know! She’s 9 months old. Can’t believe it.

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List August 11, 2011 at 10:21 am

I can vouch for the Most Helpful post – for a new blogger, I was very thankful that you responded so quickly to email and directed me to that post! Thanks!

HEAB August 11, 2011 at 7:29 pm

Thanks Lindsay, glad it helped!

Beth (Well I'll Be) August 11, 2011 at 10:54 am

Heather, that picture of Summer is too much!!

Melissa B. August 11, 2011 at 11:27 am

Great links- I liked revisiting some, and some I had not seen. This may sound stupid, but I really love how your links open to a new window when I click on them. It’s a simple thing, but is really nice for us blog readers :)

HEAB August 11, 2011 at 7:29 pm

Melissa,
Haha – no one has ever told me that, but I agree. I always make sure to mark the “open in a new window” checkbox whenever I link as I never like when I have to go hit the back button to get back to the original page when I’m reading other blogs. Totally get it! :)

Sami August 11, 2011 at 11:40 am

ohh myyy. look at those deep blue eyes! summer is such a doll.

Meghan @ StruggleMuffins August 11, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Wonderful wonderful links. I just re-read the one about giving up Greek yogurt and it really struck a chord with me. Greek yogurt ‘addiction’ has plagued me for a while and I believe is contributing to some of my digestive and overall health issues. I’ve only recently begun to replace some of my greek yogurt with higher fat products like butter and bacon because, while they had been forever off limits and prohibited by my veganish ideology, I think my body responds to animal foods. Lots of veggies, but some animal fats and a wee bit of animal proteins too. Its amazing how long it can take and how much experimentation it can take to figure what works best for YOUR body, but I’m so happy that you share your stories, because they’re so very inspirational.

HEAB August 11, 2011 at 7:27 pm

Lots of veggies, but some animal fats and a wee bit of animal proteins too…my diet in a nutshell.
P.S. Bacon adds so much more flavor than Fage. ;)

Candy @ Healthy in Candy Land August 11, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Of all of the 7 Links posts I’ve read lately, I think yours was the best. I guess I hadn’t read many of your older posts, so they were mostly new to me, and learning that you used to be overweight completely shocked me! Thank you for sharing all of these, for people like me who missed them the first time around. The Say No To Sugar and Blogging Tutorial posts are awesome! I recently read and did a review on the book Sugar Nation, and learned a lot about sugar and how it affects our bodies. I am headed in the low/no sugar direction very quickly. Great post!

HEAB August 11, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Candy,
I just finished Sugar Nation, and have so many thoughts to share on it. Hope to get the post up sometime next week. So cool you read it as well, and thanks for your kind words regarding this post. :)

Trainer Kjirsten @ Balanced Healthy Life August 11, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Summer is so precious! I can’t wait until I get to write a recap of my birthing story for a blog post! So sentimental as well! I did get a kick out of the turd post!

Sarah R August 11, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Oh. Em. Gee. Those pigtails! What a precious little face :)

Kate August 11, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Summer is so cute I can hardly stand it, she trumps all content on your site :) But really I do enjoy your interesting food combos and fun posts!

HEAB August 11, 2011 at 7:24 pm

Thanks Kate. :)

Kristin @ STUFT Mama August 11, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Oh Heather- LOVE LOVE LOVE this post and all the links. As a newbie to the whole blogging world (reading and writing) I love looking back at older posts from people. Thanks so much for inspiring me with everything! PS- moderation does NOT work for me either. :)

HEAB August 11, 2011 at 7:24 pm

Kristin,
You’re welcome AND good to know I’m not the only one. Moderation – not sure if I’ll ever be able to fully do it.

Roz@weightingfor50 August 11, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Hi Heather, love these links. I’m relatively new to your blog, so these older links have been fun for me to check out. And Summer? She’s just friggin’ cute!!!! Have a great day.

Tracy August 11, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Ahhhhh! Such a beautiful baby girl! Love those eyes, Summer! :)

Lee August 11, 2011 at 7:50 pm

I didn’t know that you created the whole OIAJ phenomenon! That’s awesome. It was fun to look at some of your old links. I’m going to have to try some of your recipes.

Baking N Books August 11, 2011 at 8:15 pm

That little girl is gorgeous – and is going to be gorgeous – thanks to her beautiful Ma and Pa who have glorious eyes.

I am going to read the cardio junkie post – I don’t want to read about food ;) – but your journey to yoga I would like to know. I’m doing a 40 day challenge now…even though some times it’s only 10 minutes on the mat. It all counts…

Now if I could just stop my binging :( Life gives you battles. Pick one at a time.

michelle August 11, 2011 at 8:16 pm

That pic of Summer is so sweet my teeth hurt :) Your raw oatgurt changed my life. My favourite breakfast ever is oatgurt with cashew butter and berries…..ever

Maria @ Beautiful Busy Bee August 11, 2011 at 9:59 pm

The chocolate mint oat smoothie was the first post of HEAB I ever read!!! It was so good it got me hooked. :)

HEAB August 12, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Maria,
Really? Love that – glad I roped you in with that recipe. One of my favorites. :)

AmyJoGo August 11, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Wow. Summer is flat adorable. Can I have her? j/k :D But thank you for sharing her with us. Pictures of babies have a way of erasing worries and stress.

HEAB August 12, 2011 at 2:05 pm

AmyJoGo,
Thanks for loving Summer. :)

Katrina (gluten free gidget) August 12, 2011 at 4:44 am

That last picture of Summer is the cutest thing I have ever seen!

Kimberly August 12, 2011 at 6:24 am

Hi Heather ;)
I have SO enjoyed reading you blog over the last few years!! Your’s is one of the few that I check EVERY day! Summer is a cutie patootie and I wish I could just kiss her chubby little cheeks!! XOXO

HEAB August 12, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Thanks so much Kimberly – for your constant support and friendship. I am so behind on blog reading, and I hope all is well with you. Think about you often!

Kimberly August 12, 2011 at 6:27 am

Oh dang!! I HATE spelling and grammar errors and I just made one~holy cow!!! Should be yours not your’s~good grief~it is too early I guess to be typing! :)

Kat @Big Apple Little Kitchen August 12, 2011 at 8:56 am

HA! I just read your Restaurant Rules for the first time. LOVE it. I thought I was the only crazy restaurant diner!

HEAB August 12, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Kat,
Nope, 100% crazy over here. ;)

Ricki August 12, 2011 at 10:16 am

Loved reading these, Heather! And that Summer is just the cutest thing I’ve seen since. . .well, since oats in a jar! :D

HEAB August 12, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Thanks Ricki. :)

Jill August 12, 2011 at 12:07 pm

So, first of all, that last pic of Summer is incredible!! The shape and color of her eyes is just tooo perfect :-)

I really liked reading your old links because I hadn’t read some these before-they were back in my pre-blog reading days (what did I do online before that? LOL). I think it’s funny that some people got so offended by your “controversial” ones. Obviously your eating style has worked amazingly for you and I am always just fascinated to see how different people eat. I also realized that I have restaurant rules, too: the most important being DO NOT ask me to share spinach-artichoke dip with you for an appetizer because I think it’s kind of boring and am probably saving room for dessert. Also, I’m not a big fan of sharing anything because I like to be in full control of what’s on my plate :-) I could go on, but will refrain from writing a book. Glad to know I’m not alone, though.

HEAB August 12, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Jill,
If we ever order the spinach dip, no worries, I’ll eat it all. No sharing necessary. ;)

Shannon August 12, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Heather, I just read your post My Restaurant Rules and we could be restaurant bff. Unless it’s a cool raw foods/vegetarian place or a Mexican adventure, we could just skip the meal entirely. I’d way rather find something else to do and eat my food at home. Great post on sugar – I couldn’t agree more.

PS- Your daughter is adorable! :)

HEAB August 12, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Shannon,
Kindred souls we are. :)

Cynthia (It All Changes) August 13, 2011 at 9:23 am

I’m so happy of all the things you are most proud of it’s not a post but your beautiful girl and awesome CD. Great choices Heather!

Emily Elizabeth @ Kisses for Breakfast August 20, 2011 at 9:48 am

I LOVE that picture of Summer. She has such beautiful eyes!