When I Grow Up

by HEAB on August 18, 2011

I like to get up early in the morning and start pressing buttons on my camera. Sometimes I think I make pretty pictures.

PresqueIsleSunrise3.psd

This is what happens if I meter the light while pointing my camera at the sky (to the left or right of the sun) vs metering the light reflecting off the water.

PresqueIsleSunrise2.psd PresqueIsleSunrise1.psd

A storm cloud filled morning: Same photo, but with the light meter reading off the dark sky, the water, and then the sunlight.

DramaticSunrise3.psd DramaticSunrise2.psd DramaticSunrise1.psd

For these photos, I was playing around with metering the light on the water in the background and then taking a meter reading off the greenery next to me before recomposing the shot. I know it’s a little blurry. My tripod = my knee.

WaterNWoodsDark.psd WoodsNWaterLight.psd

Someday, I would love to take a photography class, but for now I’m learning so much from this book

Screen shot 2011-08-18 at 7.08.54 AM.png

It’s the best photography book I’ve ever read. Actually, it’s the only photography book I’ve ever read, but whatever. If you want to learn more about the basics, it’s great. I’m also having a lot of fun playing around with Photoshop Elements. My new camera has improved my photos a great deal, but PSE helps too. (I bought this camera, used from Amazon, and I usually use this lens).

Bowl of cinnamon oats + butter + flax seed before photo editing…

And after…

ButterFlaxOatmealBoost_edited-1.psd

When I grow up, I think I want to be a photographer.

When you were little, what did you tell people you wanted to be? Throughout school, I said I was going to be a pediatrician. Yeah, that didn’t happen. After one college chemistry class, I found myself in the history department. When I switched majors, my dad asked me what on earth I’d do with a history degree. Duh dad, I’m going to go to law school. ;)

Cherie August 18, 2011 at 9:59 am

Heather,

Take a basic photography class with me! I want to sign up for a class on Monday nights at Nashville Tech. Email me if you’re interested in joining me. You apply for classes (if you audit) on the week of August 23rd (next week).

HEAB August 18, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Cherry P,
The Basic Photography or the Digital Photography class? I think I’d only miss the first class. I so want to do this with you!

HEAB August 18, 2011 at 8:13 pm

CP,
OK, just reread your comment and saw Basic. Sorry, it’s late, and I’m sitting in front of a fire station in the dark hijacking their Internet. Sounds good – so many photo classes offered at Nashville Tech. I had no idea. Very exciting. :)

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood August 18, 2011 at 10:00 am

Oh geez, I think I must have switched my future career choices at least once every other month. First I wanted to be a princess (who was being attacked by a dragon and then saved by some nameless prince… as long as he was cute). Then I wanted to be a singer. Then an actor. (Both shot down by my mom.) Then an artist. (Mom told me she was signing me up for art classes, but it was actually an enrichment class for Math and English… Booooo.) Then a doctor. (She said okay at first, then said no because I’ll be old by the time I finish school and she wants grandchildren earlier… I told her the stork provided those little bundles of joy ;) ). Finally, in high school I decided on two career choices: an accountant and an author. The accounting thing didn’t work out for me (numbers bore me to tears; I was just grumbling the other day over having to sit down and actually check my cousin’s math homework) but I did stick with the writing thing.

Needless to say, my Mom didn’t really approve of that either but I guess she can admire my resolve to stick to my one career choice for so many years. :)

HEAB August 18, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Sylvia,
Oh how you crack me up Laughing so hard about the “art” classes. I thought about a business degree…until I took Accounting 101 and decided debits and credits were not for me. :)

Good for you for sticking with writing!

Jennie (the gf-gf) August 18, 2011 at 10:15 am

When I was a kid, I wanted to be a veterinarian, but it turns out I’m not good at math or science – I ended up studying creative writing in college. I like to tell people it’s not as useless as it sounds, because I write really good emails!

HEAB August 18, 2011 at 7:35 pm

Jennie,
Good emails are key these days. Ya did good. :)

Irina August 18, 2011 at 10:37 am

Once upon a time a drew a picture of the Earth, gave it to my mom, made her promise to keep it forever, and proudly proclaimed that I wanted to be an astronaut. Unfortunately I never saw that drawing again! Fast forward 18 years and here I am with a civil engineering degree haha. Needless to say, space always intrigued me and still does!

Your photos are beautiful! Photography is more than just skill- it also requires a natural talent and an artsy eye. You definitely proved that you have it all :)

HEAB August 18, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Irina,
Thank you so much – that’s very kind of you say, and I bet your mom is quite proud of her civil engineer. :)

katie @KatieDid August 18, 2011 at 10:38 am

I have the same camera as you, and use a 35mm lens. I’m in love. I didn’t know you could meter light with a digital slr. For some reason I thought that was only film cameras. I think I need to do a little research and have a whole new realm of possibilities to look into. Those pictures are stunning, its amazing what a small change in the light can do for the entire photo. I have no clue what I want to be, tons of passions, but life is random and I know I’ll end up where I’m supposed to if I keep plugging away at my hobbies and passions.

HEAB August 18, 2011 at 8:16 pm

Katie,
Yes, I think you can meter the light – ha, at least that’s what I thought I was doing. ;)

I know nothing about the different lenses. I think I want a wide-angle. So much to learn about all this photography stuff, but so fun!

Nolita August 18, 2011 at 10:41 am

Do we have to? ;.) I want to be a lot of things and some of them I am doing already, like you, being a mom and amateur photography, writing, cooking, etc.

So, how did you get that bowl of oats to change so much and look so great? Did you use any of PW’s actions? I have been stuck on the “colorized” actions on my photos lately (as you might be able to tell from my blog and my flickr) but I have also been using the “boost” actions too (see my pho from last night). Someday I will take the time to understand all of the actions. For the time being I appreciate learning what I can where I can (from fellow bloggers for sure) and when I can. (thank you for being part of that effort)

P.S. I always wanted to be an archeologist and photographer. I feel like I get to be both in small ways finding relics and snapping photos, but not quite like going on a dig in NM. I have friends who do both and get to read about those adventures and that can be fulfilling too…

HEAB August 18, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Nolita,
Let’s see, I usually follow the same few steps for editing all of my food photos. I know PSE is capable of so much more, but for now I stick with what I know. First I play around with the light/dark, brightness, and enhance color sliders under guided photo edit – crop the photo there as well. I then go into full editing mode and play around with the PW Actions. I love define and sharpen as well as boost. I almost always use both for food photos. Then another blogger told me to try brightening the whole bowl and bringing out the blacks. So, I played around with that but really didn’t know what I was doing. Love the colorized action too. One of my favs!
P.S. Always wanted to go on a dig. How cool would that be?!?

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing August 18, 2011 at 10:43 am

Ha, I was an English major… Ever hear that song from Avenue Q — “What Do You Do With a B.A. in English?” <– Story of my life. ;)

I am amazed at how well your photos turn out, and how much you have taught yourself already, especially seeing as you haven't had the camera for a crazy long time. I think you can definitely be a photographer when you grow up! ;)

I would love to take a photography class, but I want to get a DSLR first — my goal for the next year or two :)

Lisa August 18, 2011 at 10:53 am

English majors represent! If nothing else, I think a B.A. in English qualifies you as an interesting person! I made the BEST friends in the English department in college. That counts for something, right? :)

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood August 18, 2011 at 3:04 pm

I’m so surprised to see that so many people have English degrees! And here I thought I was the only one ;)

kristen, sweetly August 18, 2011 at 9:44 pm

hahaha. i want part in this thread! <3 wish there was a "like" button right here.

HEAB August 18, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Katie,
Same thing you do with a BA in history…you go to massage therapy school. ;)

Thanks for your kind words regarding my photos. I have learned a lot and still have a lot to learn. :)

Tangy August 18, 2011 at 10:45 am

Nice pics! I don’t think I’m creative enough to become a photographer. I can’t visualize “what could be” like some people can!

I have wanted to be a writer, a pediatrician, a dermatologist, a pharmacist, a nurse, a diagnostic medical sonographer, an English professor, a real estate agent, a personal trainer, a paralegal, and a banker…all within the last 10 years :) I’m still not sure what I want to be when I grow up!

CarliCraves August 18, 2011 at 10:59 am

I am dying to try the vegan butter in the oats with flaxseed. I find myself constantly making it sweet but I think I would love the nutty/salty combo even more. Love the idea.

Holly @ The Runny Egg August 18, 2011 at 11:00 am

I have wanted to be so many things. When I was high school I really wanted to own my own business — a Bed and Breakfast or a movie theater that only played old movies — but it would be the old style theater with big curtains all around, etc. Sometimes I still want to do that!

In college I decided to be a cop. Why? I have no idea. I think I was just in love with the idea of being a police officer (which is a profession I have always respected) — and good thing I did, because I started volunteering at the police department and met Jason (another volunteer). I’ve decided that when/if we have kids I will definitely support them in whatever career they choose — they just might meet their mate and learn that a certain career is not for them :)

HEAB August 18, 2011 at 8:24 pm

Holly,
I didn’t know that’s how you and Jason met. Great story! :)

Errign August 18, 2011 at 11:39 am

When I grow up, I want to be a big bowl of butter covered oats with cinnamon. Or maybe that’s just what I want my lunch to be.

For serious (favorite phrase) though, when I grow up, I want to be in the foreign service or work for a study abroad company so I can get my travel on.

HEAB August 18, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Errign,
You better watch out. I have little self control around butter covered cinnamon oats. ;)

Errign August 18, 2011 at 8:33 pm

I totally made dinner, a delicious vegan (minus the goat cheese I topped it with) spinach and artichoke pasta bake, ate that, and then realized I was still craving buttery cinnamon oats, since they never made it on the lunch menu. So, oats for “dessert” it was!

kalli August 18, 2011 at 12:02 pm

gosh i am not sure what i will do when i grow up ;) somehow i have ended up here as a high asst. principal and i still feel like a kid! i think if i could do it all again i would be independently wealthy and ride my bike and help animals :)

HEAB August 18, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Kalli,
I like your career plans. ;)

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan August 18, 2011 at 12:10 pm

My entire life, my dream and goal has been to be a published author. It’s finally coming true next year! Little did I know when I was young, though, that I’d be publishing a cookbook, not novels or poetry. :)

HEAB August 18, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Amber, that is awesome. Many many congrats! :)

the delicate place August 18, 2011 at 12:26 pm

um i still don’t know what i want to be! i told people i’d be a doctor in sports medicine. i graduated with a b.s. in athletic training and then a b.s. in biology. i currently work as a research scientist so not TOO far off. however, i have so many interests esp where travel, art, fashion & health are concerned. i love making things so who the heck knows! i’ll probably be a girl of serial careers and that’s ok with me! i’ve a bit of a restless spirit :)

HEAB August 18, 2011 at 8:32 pm

DP,
Yes, I’ve always thought about you – you seem like a girl of many talents. :)

Kayla @ SproutyBuns August 18, 2011 at 12:35 pm

When I was little I either wanted to be a teacher or pediatrician, I’ve always loved kids (and still do)! But now my career goals are more focused on my passion for healthy eats and fitness.

Dea August 18, 2011 at 12:42 pm

I was going to be a lawyer, so I got my history degree, then thought about teaching, so I went and taught in Korea for two years, and changed my mind.
Should have gone to law school. (although I did love Korea and loved teaching, but I didn’t want to be a teacher forever.)

HEAB August 18, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Dea,
Personally, I think Korea sounds much more exciting. ;)

Annie@stronghealthyfit August 18, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Your pictures look great! I’d love to learn some basics about photography too, but first I need to upgrade from my silly point-and-shoot. Thanks for the reference to that photog book! I’ll have to check it out.
Oh, and growing up I wanted to be a novelist, a pro soccer player, a pro softball player, a WNBA star, a concert pianist and an opera singer. At different times, of course. ;-)

HEAB August 18, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Annie,
Truth be told, I miss my point and shoot! Wouldn’t trade my DSLR for anything, but I loved my Canon. I dropped and broke it a few months ago, and I miss the convenience of it when I’m out and about. Also, it took great photos – some point and shoots have different settings, and if you play around with them, you can get some great shots!

Mandiee August 18, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Wow, your photos are gorgeous! I already think Michigan is beautiful (maybe I’m a bit biased hehe), but these really bring it out. After working this summer, I’m hoping to buy a new camera for myself. Which one do you have (the link is taking me to a book, not your camera)? I’m going to college next year, so I’m definitely doing some hard thinking about what I want to do. I’ve always wanted to be a lawyer, but now I’m thinking the law school debt is no way to start a successful life. There’s a lot to consider!

HEAB August 18, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Mandiee,
Sorry about that. Here is the correct link to the camera: http://astore.amazon.com/heaeatalmbut-20/detail/B001CBKJGG. I have a Canon Rebel XS and love it.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga August 18, 2011 at 2:03 pm

“Sometimes I think I make pretty pictures.”– And you do!!

This is SUCH a timely post…

Just yesterday I blogged about “Projects & Telling” and talked about photography, and how one day, I’d love to incorporate it into my life as a job but for now, it will be like yoga for me; ALWAYS with me, always present, always on my mind even if I am not actively holding my camera (or standing on my mat). It’s now a life path.

And I have a giveaway (ends tomorrow) called Say No to Auto, about shooting manually.

I love that you’re reading the exposures book and it’s helping you!

HEAB August 18, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Averie,
Yes, a life path. Love that. Been meaning to ask you, I cannot get my macbook to recognize my raw photo format. Neither photoshop nor iPhoto will upload them from my camera. I keep looking for solutions online, but nothing works. Did you ever have this problem? Is there a setting on my computer that I’m missing or something?

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga August 18, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Life path, indeed :)

RAW and recognizing. I dont have any issue with my camera (Canon Mark II 5D) and it being recognized on my MAC (brand new imac desktop) and how it interfaces with Lightroom 3.

I would check for updates on your software for your MAC, sometimes new versions of software are out, make sure you are have all available updates. Go to the apple symbol, top left hand corner, updates, etc…

And then also make sure that you are running the most current version of PSE and also make sure your camera is updated with software. There are ways you can plug it in (in lightroom at least) and get the updates. I am sure if u went to Canon’s site, you can reserach it.

It’s a compatibility issue and the issue is in the software and making sure everything is updated, patched, synced up, etc

Got your other email too. Suffice to say, writing things down and keeping track so we can remember stuff, yep. Wish I would have done that too :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 18, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Beautiful photos!! They’re gorgeous. :)

When I was little, I wanted to be an engineer, famous singer, actress, policewoman, vet, and pediatrician. Kind of all at the same time..

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count August 18, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I’ve always thought I would like to be a photographer. Your photos are great…the oats look tasty in BOTH photos. Makes me want oatmeal!!

Haley August 18, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Funny how life steers you as it goes by, yeah?

When I was a kid I always said I wanted to be a doctor. I went through trauma as a kid and saw the worst child psychologist EVER and decided then and there that I was going to be a psychologist and do it right. I wanted to help troubled youth like myself.

Somewhere along the way, I got healthy and it changed everything for me. And now I’m in grad school for social work. I plan on getting licensed to do therapeutic help individuals through their weight loss journey.

But I’ve learned to stay open to the process. =)

HEAB August 18, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Haley,
I think your future plans sound awesome. You are needed. :)

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List August 18, 2011 at 2:35 pm

I NEED someone to lay out all the basics for sure! May have to order this book! Do you think it would work well for a “visual” learner?? I need to see pictures of how to take pictures :)

HEAB August 18, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Lindsay,
Definitely! For each tip the author gives, he includes several photos with an explanation. It has helped me so much, and his photos are beautiful.

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List August 18, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Nice. That’s what I need!

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats August 18, 2011 at 2:36 pm

I think I wanted to be about a million things: a veterinarian, a “housewife” haha, an actress, a singer (I think people would pay to make me stop singing), a marine biologist, a dolphin trainer, etc. And now I’m in law school. Still have no idea what I want to do…

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com August 18, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Love love love the photos. And obviously, your sense of humor as well :)

I recommend getting Helene Dujardin’s , “Plate to Pixel” book for food photography. She has amazing tips and techniques shared in the book. And yes, I want to be a photographer too. But I am already a grown up!

HEAB August 18, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Awesome, thanks Kiran. Going to search for it on Amazon right now!

Evan August 18, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Oh, Heather – I love seeing you evolve day by day via your blog…it’s a beautiful, BEAUTIFUL thing! :)

You know what’s just as purdy? Those photos. Oh the difference some educated photo editing makes! I hope that I can one day become as skilled as you.

I totally know the “when I grow up” syndrome all too well. I’ve always wanted to be a food writer, but I went through my phases – advertising, teaching, acting and singing (almost went to school for theatre…I’m glad I didn’t), becoming a vet…and then there was the time I wanted to be a poet. Really, I just want to be able to travel and write for a living eventually. One thing I’ve learned this year is that I’m a total wanderlust underneath it all.

HEAB August 18, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Evan,
Oh gosh, thank you! I definitely do not feel like a skilled photo editor, and so your comment just made my day. I’m still playing around the basics, and there is just so much to learn. Having a lot of fun with it though, and I totally get the wanderlust thing. I miss my backpack and hostels. Suitcases and hotels aren’t nearly as fun. :)

Eleanor@eatinglikeahorse August 18, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Those pictures are stunning; my favourite’s the second sunrise down, on the left :-)
I used to want to be a vet, all the way through school, then decided I couldn’t put animals down… I’m now a journalist and love it!

HEAB August 18, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Eleanor,
Thank you – I love that sunrise photo as well, and yeah, I could never be a vet either. Putting any animal down would break my heart. :(

Pure2raw Twins August 18, 2011 at 3:39 pm

love the pics!! beautiful. we are the same way in that sometimes we end up taking great pictures but still learning a great deal!!! thanks for the info about that book we are always looking for new ways to learn and improve our photography!

Leah August 18, 2011 at 3:47 pm

My answer is way too simple. When I grow up, I want to be an adult.

Emilie August 18, 2011 at 3:57 pm

I wanted to be Sam Neill or Jeff Goldblum in JURASSIC PARK! Too bad I am not good enough at math to complete the less-glam aspects of their careers.

Your pictures are amazing. So serene. They make me want to take a lake vacation, stat!

HEAB August 18, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Thanks Emilie. :)

Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine August 18, 2011 at 4:14 pm

The fourth one from the top is my favorite–it’s beautiful! Looks like a fun way to spend a morning. :) I’ll have to check that book out. I took a 7-week photography class (only 7 classes), and it was SO worth it! I learned so much!

HEAB August 18, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Casey,
Really? I just looked into some classes in Nashville. Hoping to take one this fall or maybe in the spring. Good to know you learned so much. Thanks!

Maria @ Beautiful Busy Bee August 18, 2011 at 5:42 pm

That sunset is beautiful!!! I want to be a pediatrician, hopefully I’ll stick to it. :)

nikki August 18, 2011 at 5:56 pm

I am still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up… I know I am only in my early 30s but I feel like time is passing me by… One day I will figure it out… as a child/teenager, I wanted to be an author. There is still time, but it would mean actually writing! I think I am still trying to find what makes me happy, in my everyday, and maybe that will lead me to my “calling?”

HEAB August 18, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Nikki,
It will. Just stay on the path. :)

Felicia (Natural + Balanced) August 18, 2011 at 7:10 pm

After all this schooling, being a nurse, dreams of opening my own acupuncture practice, etc etc… I think in the end I’m going to be a stay at home mom, baking and cooking, tending to my garden, feeding my chickens and kiddos :)

HEAB August 18, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Felicia,
Sounds perfect to me. :)

Misti August 18, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Developing style is important, eventually you’ll learn to make things brighter in camera instead of using so much alteration in PS. Or darker…depending on the mood.

Love the first photos!

HEAB August 18, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Thanks Misti. I keep finding myself trying to copy other people’s style, but you’re right – I should just work on finding my own. :)

Misti August 19, 2011 at 10:10 pm

I didn’t mean to imply you didn’t have style, I wasn’t great at saying what I meant. I just meant that eventually you’ll be able to do more in camera than in PS, exposing more accurately and only sharpening or adding contrast later on. Sometimes I take multiple exposures to get it right…I’m fond of ‘less is more’! ;)

Cate August 18, 2011 at 7:48 pm

I don’t know how many careers I thought I was going to have. Now I’m in school for a history degree and still trying to figure it out. :/

Btw, HEAB, your blog made me get those blue corn tortilla chips, so I have you to thank and blame for dinner (and snackage) tonight. :D

HEAB August 18, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Cate,
Sorry? You’re welcome? Hehe, not sure which one to say. Enjoy – love my blue chips. Garden of Eatin’ makes the best by the way.

Cherie August 18, 2011 at 9:10 pm

I too wanted to be a pediatrician because I love kids. Ended up a clinical lab tech/phlebotomist until I got married. Became a stay at home mom with five kids!

I would love to learn to do photography well. I’m soooo bad at it, it’s sad. You inspire me Heather to give it a try!

michelle August 18, 2011 at 9:36 pm

I’ve been contemplating taking a photography class forever. Your photos are great and the fact that you keep mentioning ‘meter reading’ proves the fact that I know nothing. I wanna know how to meter read :)

kristen, sweetly August 18, 2011 at 9:39 pm

ugh. the life path conversation. haha. i was a double major in english and women’s & gender studies. talk about “career path.” ;-) i have good and bad days about it, so i’m either “what in the world will i ever do with myself?!” or “i’m letting life lead me where it wants to, and i’m excited that the future can still be wide open…” i try to let all my days be the second one.

and i am LOVING taking photos this year. i bought myself a canon rebel right after christmas. do you love the 50mm f/1.8 lens? i was sure i was going to buy it next, but i’ve heard really strong mixed emotions.

HEAB August 19, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Kristen,
Personally, I love the 50mm lens, but yes, I often hear mixed reviews about it as well. I got it b/c I knew it took great photos for a great price. If I had more money to spend on my new little hobby, I probably would have gotten something a bit more fancy, but the 50mm works for me. :)

charlotte August 18, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Those pictures are gorGEOUS! I especially love the first boat one – totally frameworthy! I think you already are a photographer, my dear:) Plus you obviously love doing it and have a great eye!

HEAB August 19, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Thanks Charlotte. :)

Claudine @ The Kathmanduo August 18, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Wonderful photos, Heather! I have that book too — it was recommended in an intensive one-day photography course — and I agree that it is great. And I also see that you are using the best lens for the money! That one does a fantastic job.

Finally, I’m so glad you skipped the law school route. Brian took that one, and now he is a corporate law refugee living in Kathmandu! It was a crazy decision on our part, but so far we think it was a great one. As for what he and I want to be when we grow up? Yep, still figuring that out. I think that’s the whole point.

HEAB August 19, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Claudine,
I’d much rather be in Kathmandu than practicing corporate law. Sounds like the best decision ever. :)

Candy @ Healthy in Candy Land August 18, 2011 at 10:22 pm

Wow, what gorgeous photos! I could definitely stand to learn better photography skills. I am hoping to have more time for that kind of stuff when my youngest son starts kindergarten in two weeks. (OMG, don’t remind me!) I will check out that book–Thanks for sharing!

Lauren August 18, 2011 at 10:26 pm

Those photos are absolutely gorgeous! I love seeing all of these beautiful pics on tons of blogs-they inspired to take photography in school this year! I am SO EXCITED!! Can you tell? ;) Looks like you’re having an amazing and beautiful vacation-I’m jealous! You should do video tutorials on how to take better photographs! That would be loverly!

HEAB August 19, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Lauren,
Me doing video tutorials – thank you for having so much faith in me. Not anywhere near doing something like that but definitely learning so much about photography. I think it’s great you’ve been inspired to take a class – me too! :)

s August 18, 2011 at 11:15 pm

i feel like i have tried to be a lot of things when i grow up. i also wanted to be a pediatrician when i was little! then i started telling people i wanted to be a brain surgeon. medicine didn’t work out for me but so far i’m kinda close to those early aspirations (studying for a graduate degree in neuroscience). but there were a few mostly unattainable career aspirations in there, like minnie mouse and chemical engineering (which i picked because i heard chemical engineers made stuff like fake blood … eeek). before i got into grad school i also studied to take the lsat to go to law school. and before that i tried to go to med school. typing all this out suggests to me that if this grad school thing doesn’t work out, i should go into career counseling … lol.

s August 18, 2011 at 11:22 pm

yikes, sorry for the ramble. also, nice photos… especially the oats…the combo of oats/flax/butter/cinnamon seems like a perfect breakfast.

HEAB August 19, 2011 at 2:00 pm

S, hehe, yes, a very good career counselor you would make. :)
Thanks for the kind words regarding my photos. Cinnamon oats + butter + flax IS the perfect breakfast or lunch…dinner too.

enrichment classes August 19, 2011 at 1:18 am

Jen at The Wholehearted Life August 19, 2011 at 10:46 am

I have that same book…such a great resource! I’m challenging myself to get out of auto mode more and more and it’s working!

I wanted to be a dolphin trainer. Only…I have a weird fear of fish :/.

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli August 19, 2011 at 11:37 am

For years I was going to be a teacher…that is until I realized at the age of about 13 that I really didn’t like kids…yeah, that’s kind of a pre-requisite, isn’t it?? So then for the next 4-5 years, I was going to be a vet…until I had the opportunity to job shadow during my senior year in high school and almost passed out during a cat spaying! So I might have totally forgot that vets don’t just get paid to pet cute little animals all day long! Haha!

Your photography is looking great Heather! I am in LOVE with all the colors of that first shot! I may have to look into that book and learn a few things before you start showing me up too bad! ;)

Kayla August 19, 2011 at 12:04 pm

I want to be a Pediatrician! But then I realized they have SO MUCH schooling and now I’m going to be a Physician Assistant which is just a Bachelor’s + 2 years of Physician Assistant school and then I can assist in a Pediatrician office!

Chris August 23, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Thanks for letting me know what part of Michigan you are in. I’ll have to look that up. I would absolutely LOVE to go back.