When Life Gives You Lentils

LentilChicken.psd

CD’s Cheesy Chicken, HEABified

LentilHummus.psd

Lentil Hummus

MexicanLentils.psd

Mexican Lentils

Summer loves lentils, and I’ve been cooking potfuls to keep in the fridge for her meals. However, I tend to forget that she only eats a few spoonful at a time, meaning lots of leftover lentils for me. Definitely not a bad thing. Enjoy your weekend! :)

kalli August 19, 2011 at 1:32 pm

i love that summer loves lentils! and i love these recipes.

thanks heather :)

dawn August 19, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Wow These look AMAZING! I am going to try the first one tonight. Thanks, Heather!!! Smiles. Dawn

Missy August 19, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Thank you for this. Life ALWAYS hands me lentils (meaning I have bags of them in my pantry and never seem to put them to use besides Lentil soup once a year. (0:

I needed inspiration.

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) August 19, 2011 at 2:01 pm

You know, I adore lentils but seldom make them! I don’t know why that is, especially because they are so easy to prepare. I love your Mexican lentil dish, that looks SO GOOD! :)

caroline August 19, 2011 at 2:05 pm

I have never tried lentils!! if i was to make my first lentil recipe..what should i make?

HEAB August 20, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Caroline,
I don’t know…I love all lentil recipes, but I have to say, the Mexican Lentils was my favorite out of these three. Melted cheese was soooo good! :)

Shelby August 19, 2011 at 2:11 pm

I’ve been lovin’ on the lentils too lately! :)

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 19, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Wow! So many awesome lentil recipes! I’m usually at a loss for what to do with them so this is perfecto :) Thanks Heather!

Lauren A. @ Newest Obsession August 19, 2011 at 2:16 pm

ummm YUMMM! Funny, I was just trying to brainstorm how to use lentils today. I will have to try these options out. Thanks for sharing!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga August 19, 2011 at 2:40 pm

I love all the lentil recipes. Yay for the little brown things. Or red ones :)

I love them and use them as my base for Sloppy Joes, i.e. Lentil Joes (vegan and GF and one pot and EASY). They are so versatile b/c you can season them to get them to taste like so many things…a blank canvas of sorts.

Have a great weekend :)

HEAB August 20, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Averie,
Your one pot lentil recipe with raisins is one of my favorites! :)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga August 20, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Really?? Ok that’s awesome. I vaguely remember you making it now that you said something but thanks for LMK.

Have a great weekend :)

Jennie (the gf-gf) August 19, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Haha. Your Michigan food processor sounds like my everyday food processor!

The Healthy Engineer August 19, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Awww a baby that likes lentils…so cute!

I used to eat lentils and chick peas as a baby as well, but that is because I’m Indian…so I ate a lot of Indian food!

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats August 19, 2011 at 3:44 pm

I’m going to have to try that hummus next week once I get a chance to go to Whole Foods for some lentils (and other delicious products!)

Emilia @ Namaste Gurl August 19, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Wow, somebody’s quite on the lentil kick, hehe :)
Seriously though, this abundance of lentil recipes couldn’t be more timely: Leftover lentils sit in my refrigerator as we speak. Not to mention lentils are SUPER easy to cook and high in iron, fiber and protein :)
I’m SO trying um’ all!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) August 19, 2011 at 4:35 pm

The Mexican lentils look so good! Lentil Burgers are my favorite. They serious make the best burgers. I love that they cook so fast too.

HEAB August 20, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Sarena,
Why have I never made lentil burgers? Why why why?!?

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) August 20, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Seriously, they are the best! Here’s what I do http://www.thenondairyqueen.com/2011/06/new-lovelentil-burgers.html. Trust me, you won’t be disappointed (they have all of our favorite foods in them) and they are really easy. I have turned meat eaters into lovers of lentil burgers!

I hope you’re having a great weekend!

Anita August 19, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Love those lentils. Little powerhouses. You can make a great red lentil soup, so simple, just throw in what you like. I add coconut milk at the end, unsweetened, you can add cumin for an Indian flavor, carrots and potatoes are good in there also. Such a simple, healthy, and hearty meal. Jalapeno is good cooked in there with it if you have any and/or onions. Whatever you like.

HEAB August 20, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Anita,
I know – lentils are so versatile, and I love the idea of adding coconut milk. Yum…really not liking that the grocery store is 30 minutes away at the moment. ;)

Lauren @ Wwob August 19, 2011 at 8:01 pm

Heather, lentil hummus is pure genius!!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List August 19, 2011 at 8:13 pm

You know, I’ve never made lentils myself. I bought red ones the other day. Would they work just like these brown guys??

HEAB August 20, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Lindsay,
Yep. They will. I never pay attention to what type of lentils any recipe calls for and use whatever kind I have on hand. Enjoy – I think you will love lentils. They cook up so much faster than beans. My favorite!

Ana August 19, 2011 at 9:12 pm

I love lentils!! They are delicious, easy to cook and super nutritious, how can one not like it? Did I say they are delicious?? I really like lentils!
It is funny because lentils are one of those things that whenever I make and eat I can’t wait to eat again :-)
Love the heabified cheesy chicken, looks so good! And lentil humus is delicious, I have made it myself, calling it a lentil dip and we all thoroughly enjoyed!
How nice that Summer likes lentils, Matheus also loved it at that age, I would cook rice with lentils and he would eat tons of it. Well, fortunately he still likes and will eat lots of it with me now too!

HEAB August 20, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Ana,
I know I’ve said it before, but Matheus has great taste in food! ;)

Michaela August 19, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Would you believe it, I own a Michigan food processor, too ;)
Love your sense of humor!

Maria @ Beautiful Busy Bee August 19, 2011 at 10:29 pm

I never thought of lentils with mexican flavors!!! Now that you mention it though it’s pure genius. :) I totes got the joke about Michigan food processor, because my extended family visits “the cottage” one week out of the year (it’s owned by a distant relative) and we have to be creative with our cooking utensils. They don’t even have a wooden spoon!

Health Bee August 19, 2011 at 10:37 pm

Hi Heather,

The lentil photos are great, especially the Mexican Lentil one. What camera do you use for these photos?

HEAB August 20, 2011 at 11:57 am

Health Bee,
Thank you. I use a Canon Rebel XS: http://astore.amazon.com/heaeatalmbut-20/detail/B001CBKJGG, and all the photos in this post were taken with a 50mm lens.

Hannah August 19, 2011 at 11:01 pm

I must admit that while I do agree that, in this scenario, cheddar > tahini, I also think goats cheese > cheddar ;)

HEAB August 20, 2011 at 11:55 am

Hannah,
Agreed…on both counts. :)

Tasha @ Voracious Eats August 20, 2011 at 12:58 am

Oooh I love love love lentils but it’s been a while since I’ve cooked with them. I am really liking the look of that chicken and lentil dish. Thanks!

nikki August 20, 2011 at 8:01 am

I love the Michigan Food processor comment! lol Both recipes are have to try’ers. Thanks! What printable recipe option are you using? Do you subscribe to recipage?

HEAB August 20, 2011 at 11:53 am

Nikki,
I did the free trial of Recipage, and although I think it’s great, I’m too cheap to pay for it. I use this free Plug-In from Wordpress to make my recipes printable: http://twodeuces.com/wordpress-plugins/wordpress-print-this-section.

Kimberly August 20, 2011 at 9:39 am

Mmmm~ Mexican lentils sounds GOOD!! It has been way too long since I have had Mexican!! Have a great weekend ;)

natalie August 20, 2011 at 10:25 am

mmm love lentils and made lentil meatballs this week. Delish!

HEAB August 20, 2011 at 11:45 am

Natalie,
oooh, lentil meatballs sound right up my alley. Thanks for the idea. :)

Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! August 20, 2011 at 6:19 pm

Your pictues in the last post were gorgeous! I got a big package from NuNaturals the other day and it had a bunch of your recipes in it!! I can’t wait to try them out! :)

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood August 20, 2011 at 7:07 pm

Hmm I haven’t had the chance to cook anything with lentils yet. Well, I guess this is why this will be yet another post that I bookmark. ;)

Baking N Books August 20, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Ditto! So many good ideas. I love the chicken/lentils combo. And lentil hummus – never thought of that.

Does anyone else have trouble seeing the blue font on your website HEAB – or is it just me? the titles and links are super light! But still pretty :)

michelle August 20, 2011 at 11:34 pm

I love all things lentils too. Heather I’ve been eating your oat bran with butter and cinnamon the last two days and I’m hooked! I sprinkle some sesame seeds and blueberries on top and a 1/4 cup cooked in 1 cup of almond milk keeps me full for hours. I might add a poached egg on tomorrows before the gym :)

VEGirl August 21, 2011 at 6:47 am

That’s one smart baby you got there!

Paige August 21, 2011 at 6:24 pm

I <3 that Summer loves lentils :)
And I need to make that first dish. End of story. Without the chicken, but nonetheless I neeed to make it!

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli August 21, 2011 at 11:05 pm

Haha! Love the “pondering”…I myself ponder about options of sauces/condiment/tasty food coverings after my meal is finished! ;)

Rachel August 22, 2011 at 8:22 am

That Lentil Hummus looks amazing!!! What a great idea. You get some fiber and protein. I am so making this for my next ladies night!

Liz @ iheartvegetables August 22, 2011 at 11:01 pm

Yum!!! I love lentils but I usually just use them to make soups or stews! I’m going to have to try that hummus. I’m always looking for a new dip!

Nora @ Natural Noshing August 24, 2011 at 10:54 am

Oh yeah, lentil love! I’m all about it – I bought some sprouted dry lentils at WH this past weekend and I know what I will be making!!!