Fluttermon

by HEAB on August 26, 2011

Flax + Butter + Cinnamon = Fluttermon, and I’m a little obsessed with this combo.

It all started with this bowl

ButterFlaxOatmealBoost_edited-1.psd

and now I find myself trying to incorporate a little Fluttermon into every meal, like yesterday’s lunch…

ChickenFlaxTater.psd

I diced up a chicken breast and cooked it in a TBSP butter over medium high heat, adding a chopped onion to the skillet when the chicken was about 3/4 of the way done. Chicken cooked in butter is so good, and if you chop it into bite-sized pieces prior to cooking, it’s done in about 5 minutes. Alongside my chicken and onions, I had an oven baked sweet potato with a little butter and then covered my entire plate in a spoonful of ground flax seed and several shakes of cinnamon. Mmm, I love adding cinnamon to savory dishes, any dish really. A good friend once told me that at her house, cinnamon is considered its own food group. I’m ready to move in. ;)

P.S. Please click here for the winner of my Sugar Nation giveaway.

Baking N Books August 26, 2011 at 9:22 am

I put cinnamon and maple extract with stevia in my tea every day :)

Oh my – that dollop of butter takes me back to a little girl. My sister always used to put a scoop of just plain butter in her oatmeal and it grossed me out – but she loved it!

You’ve inspired me to pick up a block of butter yesterday actually :)

Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine August 26, 2011 at 9:25 am

I’ve never really cooked chicken in butter–that clearly needs to change! :)

katie @KatieDid August 26, 2011 at 9:34 am

My Dad taught me to put cinnamon in coffee grinds before brewing a pot (or before pressing it with my french press), and the subtle flavor is incredible! That first photo makes me want to curl up with a warm bowl of oats on a chilly autumn morning.

HEAB August 26, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Katie,
Yes, I’ve tried cinnamon in my coffee grounds but always forget to add it. Must remember…and I really think I need a French Press. Everyone who has them tells me they’ll never go back to drip brewing again!

Jennie (the gf-gf) August 26, 2011 at 9:52 am

Yum, I live cinnamon in savory dishes too! Especially stir frys, as it adds spice, but not heat. Do you ever use Chinese 5 spice? Cinnamon is one of the 5 spices.

HEAB August 26, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Jennie,
No, I never have. Must get some when I get back to Nashville – did not know cinnamon was an ingredient. I’m sure I would love it – WILL love it. Thanks! :)

sarah, simply cooked August 27, 2011 at 7:54 am

Oh, yes, Chinese five spice! And anise is one of the five as well, which I love. Adding a shake of five spice and a drizzle of toasted sesame oil makes a stir fry so authentic tasting–at least to me!

I just went to my cupboard to check the ingredients on my Hong Kong-bought five spice powder: there are more than five! “Indian coriander, cumin, star aniseed, orange peel, cinnamon, ginger, ground pepper, liquorice”

Nolita @ Morganic August 30, 2011 at 9:58 am

Hey HEAB, I add cinnamon to my turkey chili! Yum!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat August 26, 2011 at 9:54 am

I’m kind of obsessed with cinnamon in general, so this sounds fantastic – not a combo I would have come up with on my own!

Jen August 26, 2011 at 9:57 am

I love cinnamon too. I put it on my cereal every morning because I love how the milk gets cinnamony (spell check needs to add that word). I also love cinnamon in hot chocolate, and in almost all baked goods. I made banana muffins yesterday from a recipe that didn’t have cinnamon in it. Banana muffins without cinnamon? I don’t think so. Obviously I added it. A sweet potato with butter and cinnamon sounds so good! You really can’t go wrong with those ingredients.

Maggie @ Say Yes to Salad August 26, 2011 at 10:00 am

Fluttermon reminds me of cinnamon toast! (Butter, sugar, cinnamon on toast, broiled in the over for a few minutes.) One of my favorite snacks :D

HEAB August 26, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Maggie,
I grew up eating cinnamon toast, but haven’t had it in years. Why? Very sad for me. Must remedy soon!

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 26, 2011 at 10:03 am

Cinnamon is always a food group in my eyes too– and I don’t discriminate between seasons either. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, fall, summer, winter, spring– Cinnamon is all over my meals :)

HEAB August 26, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Brittany,
Me too. Cinnamon is NOT just for fall. ;)

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats August 26, 2011 at 10:07 am

That combo sounds delicious! I also love putting cinnamon on my sweet potatoes! Although honestly, I’d eat them plain because I love them so much!

HEAB August 26, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Katie,
Me too. Nothing like a plain oven baked ooey gooey sweet tater. Love. :)

caroline August 26, 2011 at 10:09 am

Heather, I absolutely LOVE cinnamon!! when i eat it, it isn’t just used as a small sprinkling of a fall spice. It is seen as a spoonful covering my food, any season and time of day! love the smell, it never gets old!

HEAB August 26, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Me too Caroline. If a recipe calls for a tsp of cinnamon, I dump at least a whole TBSP in if not more. Who uses just a tsp?!? So wrong! ;)

Tangy August 26, 2011 at 10:36 am

I haven’t had cinnamon in so long! I think I OD in the fall and winter months! But it’s definitely getting to be the time to start cooking and baking with a lot of apples and pumpkin. Better re-stock the cinnamon ;)

Brittany August 26, 2011 at 10:43 am

I think fluttermon would be amazing on a baked sweet potato!

Abby August 26, 2011 at 10:52 am

I’m not as big on cinnamon as most people apparently are, but I would totally start using more of it if it meant I could keep saying “Fluttermon.”

G. August 26, 2011 at 11:37 am

Yum! I love all of your creative combos. I’m not eating dairy at the moment but, I bet that I could use coconut oil and it would still be tasty. Thanks for the inspiration to try new things with food. :)

HEAB August 26, 2011 at 1:17 pm

G. Yes! I think coconut oil would be just as good. Love coconutty goodness!

Felicia (Natural + Balanced) August 26, 2011 at 11:43 am

What a great combo. Throw some raw honey in there and you’ve got yourself some Fluttermoney ;)

HEAB August 26, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Haha – Fluttermoney. That is great. :)

Nolita @Morganic August 26, 2011 at 11:44 am

We add cinnamon to our coffee grounds to brew that goodness into our coffee. A nice way to start the day and it’s also good for your heart. Looking at your food is making me hungry now…yum!

HEAB August 26, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Nolita,
Someone told me about that once, and I tried it – so good. However, CD is allergic to cinnamon, and usually share the morning coffee. Very sad for me. Have my own small pot back at home though and need to remember to add the cinnamon!

Holly @ The Runny Egg August 26, 2011 at 11:55 am

Obviously this is another HEAB meal I need to make: chicken/onions with a big ole sweet potato. Sounds good to me!

HEAB August 26, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Holly,
Yes…and first you can make one of my recipes instead of CD’s. ;)

HEAB August 26, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Oops, meant to say “For once” you can make one of my recipes instead of CD’s. ;)

Emilia @ Namaste Gurl August 26, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Mmmm! I love cinnamon and flax together, but I’ve never tried it combined with butter. Unless you consider nut butter, that is :)
And cinnamon is SO a mandatory food group for most of my meals. Hehe.

Courtney August 26, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Yum! And which Courtney, me or the other Courtney who commented? :)

HEAB August 26, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Sorry, other Courtney. Should have cut and pasted her comment.

Jill August 26, 2011 at 12:49 pm

You should totally sprinkle cinnamon in coffee! My new Starbucks fave is sugar-free vanilla + a little half & half + cinnamon on top and it’s delicious :-) I had to laugh though b/c “fluttermon” sounded like fluffernutter for a minute to me (the PB and marshmallow creme sandwich in case you were not familiar) and that would have been a very uncharacteristic meal choice from you! LOL

HEAB August 26, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Jill,
That is what I always get at coffee shops, and the cinnamon sprinkle is a MUST. We are so kindred spirits! :) Have them steam your half and half. So much better that way, although they might charge you for a cafe au lait rather than just a coffee.

P.S. Grew up on Fluffernutters. My dad still eats that combo all the time, but prefers it on Ritz crackers instead of bread.

elise August 26, 2011 at 1:08 pm

DROOOOOOL.

Michaela August 26, 2011 at 2:07 pm

yeah for cinnamon!!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga August 26, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Oh that bowl looks so good. The butter..just melting.

And reflecting in the sun. Great image! :)

And at my house, cinnamon is TOTALLY considered a food group. I buy it in 2 pound bags in bulk on the internet b/c that’s how much I go through. If I bought it in those $6 bucks for a little 2 or 3 oz jar from the groc store, I’d be broke :)

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List August 26, 2011 at 3:30 pm

I’m absolutely in love with the fact that you’re not afraid to use BUTTER! It really makes everything it touches taste better!

Candy @ Healthy in Candy Land August 26, 2011 at 4:15 pm

I’ve been on a huge cinnamon kick lately. I buy it in bulk and have had to switch from storing it in a regular sized spice jar to a Ball jar! And I’m buying more all the time! It has so many great nutritional qualities! Cinnamon + butter = perfection.

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco August 26, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Aaaw! And I just stopped eating meat. But now I really want fluttermon tofu! I wonder if that would be nearly as good? I guess I’m gonna have to find out!

HEAB August 27, 2011 at 10:19 am

Kelly,
Not a fan of tofu, but I think fluttermon tempeh would be superb. Mmm, love tempeh. :)

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} August 26, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Butter+cinnamon is amazing; I’m sure the addition of flax is great! Thanks for the fun idea.

Ashley @ The Drunk Squash August 26, 2011 at 6:34 pm

Fluttermon is not only a pretty word but it sound like a fabulous idea! Also, I’m loving everybody’s suggestions in the comments to add cinnamon to your coffe before you brew it… clever!

Samantha August 26, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Cinnamon is essential! There’s even a jar in our hotel room.

How to Make Buttermilk August 26, 2011 at 10:35 pm

Butter and cinnamon on anything is superb! I love this post! I am totally relate and am now enjoying a bowl of oatmeal with flax and cinnamon/splenda. Butter would make it even better!

HEAB August 27, 2011 at 10:17 am

Butter makes everything better. :)

michelle August 26, 2011 at 10:45 pm

I’ve been eating oatbran with butter and cinnamon because of you but I haven’t tried it with the flax yet. Something to look forward to tomorrow :)

Hannah August 27, 2011 at 12:02 am

I’m so with you on the cinnamon! I bought a jar three weeks ago and it’s already gone :P

Sasha August 27, 2011 at 2:23 am

I love adding cinnamon to ground beef! Especially grass-fed, organic beef! Extra delicious!

HEAB August 27, 2011 at 10:16 am

Sasha,
Really? I must try that!

Holly @ The Runny Egg August 27, 2011 at 8:03 am

HEAB I just wanted to say I’m kind of having Fluttermon today: oatmeal with ground chia (all I had), cinnamon and a pat of butter. Why have I never added butter to my oatmeal? It is so creamy.

HEAB August 27, 2011 at 10:12 am

Holly,
I do not know…but once you go butter, you never go back. Well, that’s not true. Yesterday, I loaded up on peanut butter, but butter in my oats will always be a favorite. :)

Erika @ The Teenage Taste August 27, 2011 at 8:54 am

I still have yet to try butter atop oats. I need to give it a try! :-P

Nikki August 27, 2011 at 12:46 pm

I am going to have to try that when I get home! I love cinnamon, but find I tend to go crazy for it in the fall winter months then back off in the summer.

The Delicate Place August 27, 2011 at 4:41 pm

obviously butter makes anything better :) we have 3 jars of cinnamon in this house and 2 diff types. i eat tons of eat year round and i buy 8oz bags of it haha. i like sweet potatoes with cajun seasoning and a sprinkle of cinnamon. also chipotle-cinnamon is another great savory combo.

kristen, sweetly August 28, 2011 at 2:00 pm

that photo of your glowing oatmeal still makes me pine after it. :p

Kristin @ STUFT Mama August 28, 2011 at 5:17 pm

He he he! Love the name. I have to try this. If it wasn’t so darn hot out I could try it on some oatmeal. You can never go wrong with butter and cinnamon. :)

{ 1 trackback }