The Other Potato

by HEAB on August 28, 2011

First off, very exciting news to share: iHerb is now carrying Justin’s nut butters, and they cost much less online then they do at Whole Foods. Click here to order, and you can use the coupon code EME542 for $5 off your first order. For all of my readers outside the U.S., iHerb has great international shipping rates, and for US residents, shipping is free for orders over $40. I buy everything from millet to shampoo to protein powder from iHerb. Love that site, and it saves me so much money! Now, I will be purchasing my favorite chocolate almond butter from them as well. Many thanks to Erin for the heads up!

OK, now onto potatoes. Two years ago, I probably wouldn’t have eaten the following meal for two reasons.

ChickenBakedPotato.psd

Baked potato filled with 1/2 chicken breast & onions cooked in butter and topped with melted cheddar and salsa.

Reason #1: There is nothing green on the plate. For years, all of my lunches and dinners had to center around a green vegetable. Fast forward to today – I was perfectly content with the bite or two of green bell pepper in the salsa. Greens – check! ;)

Reason #2: I baked a white (gasp) potato. For years, I refused to eat white potatoes. Um, why? I’m sure it’s because I read white potatoes are high on the glycemic index and immediately turn to sugar as soon as they hit my bloodstream. Sweet potatoes? Never avoided them, but I considered the white potato my enemy right up until the HEABlet came along. When the 24/7 nausea hit during my first trimester of pregnancy, all my rules flew out the window. Some mornings, a white baked potato with sour cream was all I could eat, and they had never tasted so good! Are white potatoes high in carbs? Yep, but they’re also chock-full of vitamin C, B6, potassium, and other vitamins and minerals.  After reading Sugar Nation, I know that many of you have to keep your carb intake in check and watch for spikes in insulin, but for those of you with healthy metabolisms and stable blood sugar levels, the white potato is nothing to fear in my opinion. After all, it’s a real food, an inexpensive source of energy, and people have been eating potatoes for a long, long, LONG time. Also, keep in mind you can pair a potato with some fat (like butter or sour cream) to help slow down the absorption of glucose into the blood stream.

So, here’s to making up for years of no white potatoes…

EggBakedPotato_edited-1.psd

Frambled eggs with cheese and salsa atop a baked potato – Mmmm. So good!

What’s your favorite tater recipe?

Maggie @ Say Yes to Salad August 28, 2011 at 6:04 pm

I love white potatoes these days! Especially with sour cream and cheese and chives. And some bacon, if I have it. Will definitely have to try out these combos :)

P.S. I am no longer a slave to the greens rule either. It took me a long time, but I’m not really the salad girl anymore. (Still love the name, though, hehe.)

HEAB August 29, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Maggie,
You’ll always be my favorite salad girl, whether you’re eating greens or not. :)

Coco August 28, 2011 at 6:09 pm

Baked potato with refried beans, cheddar cheese and avocado slices :)

Dana @ the Big Fat Skinny August 30, 2011 at 12:10 pm

yumm …. this one I will have to try!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) August 28, 2011 at 6:14 pm

I ate potatoes tonight! Does it count to have them with two over easy eggs and nutritional yeast all piled on top? It was so good!

HEAB August 29, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Sarena,
Yes, of course it does. Happy to hear you’re enjoying your nutritional yeast! :)

Jill August 28, 2011 at 6:27 pm

Sooo, this is a totally nerdy nutrition fact, and I don’t remember alll of the details, but I read in Prevention last year that certain “bad” carbs (like corn and white potatoes) have actually been found to have something called “resistant starch” in them that is processed by your body differently than, say, the starch in white bread. These carbs actually are broken down slower and don’t cause the same spikes in blood sugar. (And that first sentence was a MAJOR run on-oops!)

It’s funny, too, because my mom always told me when I was little that white potatoes are high in potassium and vitamin C-which of course is true. I’m always surprised that most people STILL have no idea about this.

I’m really getting into the whole “real foods” thing too (exception: diet soda! lol). That’s always the way I’ve been raised to eat, but the other day I almost bought some Daiya cheese and some of those morningstar crumbles and then was like, why in the heck would I buy these really strange, fake foods? At least I *know* what sharp cheddar and ground beef *are*!

Sorry to write a novel! :-)

Eimear August 29, 2011 at 2:25 am

Hear, hear. Daiya’s great for people with allergies who really miss cheese, but I think that’s where the advantage ends, real food should otherwise always be the first choice.
Resistant starch is present in potatoes when they’ve been cooked and then chilled (the same happens with pasta, actually, although I personally wouldn’t recommend eating that). Resistant starch acts like a fibre, and it produces mostly butyric acid when it’s broken down in the colon, which is supposed to be protective to the cells lining the colon. It’s also much gentler than fibres like cellulose and lignans, so it’s a good -and natural-way to help with IBS symptoms without the harshness of some other plant fibres.

Baking N Books August 29, 2011 at 5:53 pm

I agree. It’s great if it’s your needed alternative. But if you eating Daiya only because you think it’s “healthier” or to restrict your food intake, that’s not healthy thinking. I do eat Daiya occassionaly…..with my chunks of Goat cheese though – that have only 1 ingredient!

(Note: I’m not a “Food-Nazi” though and just enjoy all in moderation. Or, try.)

Looks GREAT Heab!

HEAB August 29, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Jill,
You know I love reading your novels. :)
Totally been there with the Daiya and Morningstar brands. These days, I’ll take goat cheese and beef, and like I’ve told you before, your mom is a very wise soul. See you soon!!!

Jennifer Flowers August 28, 2011 at 6:37 pm

Hey Heather, I love iHerb and buy my coconut oil etc. there. What kind of protein powder do you buy from them and do you recommend anything else from that site? I always see lots of interesting items but it can get a bit overwhelming at times too.

Thanks!

HEAB August 29, 2011 at 7:35 pm

Hi Jennifer,
I’m a rice protein powder girl b/c my body doesn’t like dairy based protein powders. I love Sun Warrior rice protein, but Jay Robb’s whey was my absolute favorite before I backed off the dairy. So good, but I don’t think iHerb sells it. :(

I buy unscented shampoo and conditioner as well as gluten free grains like millet. The site has all the Bob Red’s Mill flours and grains as well as a great selection of food bars like Larabars. Also buy cocoa butter (use it as lotion) and baby care products from them. Oh, and Dr. Bronner’s soaps. My favorite – love the peppermint one.

Jennifer Flowers September 5, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Thanks so much! I’m on iherb now checking out all the goodies :)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga August 28, 2011 at 6:37 pm

Bake white potatoes with real butter and salt and pepper were a staple in my house growing up. At least 3x a week my mom threw potatoes in the oven. Poke holes in them, bake for an hour. Nothing fancy but they sure were good and i don’t fear them either. They are the foods our grandparents ate and they are a plant. To me, that means they have a lot going for them.

And iHerb. HUGE FAN. I am always telling my readers about it too b/c honestly the amt of $$ I save is just astounding by using them for bulk spices, nooch, stevia, etc.

katie @KatieDid August 28, 2011 at 6:37 pm

I prefer the taste of sweet potatoes to white potatoes, so my tater consumption is usually of the sweet variety. But I also enjoy small red potatoes roasted in butter and rosemary. For sweet taters I love them topped with a runny egg!

Natalie @ Nitty Grits August 28, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Congrats on iHerb! Very cool. It’s tough to find great nut butters so, thanks for the coupon.

And hooray for potatoes & cheese (a winning combination!)

courtney (pancakes and postcards) August 28, 2011 at 6:59 pm

That looks good! For some reason, I’ve just never gotten into baked potatoes. I don’t know why. I love fried variations of potatoes, but baked and mashed I just didn’t love. But I am obsessed with sweet potatoes! I could eat those every day. :)

Bid August 28, 2011 at 7:07 pm

open tater tot bag.. poor on cookie sheet…cook in oven for a really long time.. eat..

sorry :-\ …but i lerve them…

HEAB August 29, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Bid, no shame in the tater tot lovin. No shame!

Holly @ The Runny Egg August 28, 2011 at 7:13 pm

I love baked potatoes — but we really don’t eat them much! I prefer a baked sweet potato so I think I usually just forget about the other types.

My parents have baked potatoes at least 3x per week — it is such a staple food for them so if we go there for dinner there is a very good chance that we’ll have potatoes with dinner. And we always eat them very simply: lots of butter and with salt and pepper.

HEAB August 29, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Holly,
I think your parents could dine with my parents and be two very happy couples. :)

Jess August 28, 2011 at 7:15 pm

It wasn’t until I went back to school to become an RD that I realized how healthy and delicious white potatoes can actually be. I love them baked but I also like to dice one up and cook with some white beans, lots of garlic and spices. When it’s soft enough I use an immersion blender to turn into soup! With some kale chips and/or crusty bread on the side, it’s the perfect comfort food.

I’m gonna have to try them with scrambled eggs though—that looks amazing!

Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! August 28, 2011 at 7:16 pm

I’m actually not a big fan of white potatoes, only because I don’t much care for the taste. Sure I like them, and often eat foods for texture as well as taste, but the texture isn’t my cup of tea either – but I love my sweet potatoes! Unless you make potato ‘chips’ by thinly slicing the potato with some oil, spices and salt. mm!

kristen, sweetly August 28, 2011 at 7:25 pm

cubed potato with olive oil and onion soup mix. simple with salt and butter, alongside a couple of fried eggs. ANY WAY AT ALL covered in ketchup. :p

HEAB August 29, 2011 at 7:28 pm

Kristen,
When will it be ready? I will be there! ;)

Sarah M August 28, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Quit playin’ games with my heart. Want.

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco August 28, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Man, I haven’t had potatoes in a long time. Hash browns? Yes please!!! I have to say, my mom’s twice baked potatoes have to be my all time faves, though. Who doesn’t love there Mom’s cooking? (Love you, Mom.)

lindsay August 28, 2011 at 8:02 pm

yep, i agree. I don’t discard white potatoes anymore. In fact, they are quite delicious with melted nut butter and jelly on top. really!

HEAB August 29, 2011 at 7:27 pm

Lindsay,
I believe you. Once tried a potato topped with PB and chocolate, and I’m not going to lie. It was a bit weird, but I think jelly might just work. :)

Emily August 28, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Love this post, Heather! I have been eating red bliss potatoes a lot lately and letting go of the “no white potato” ideal. They’re a nice break from sweet and other grains/starches :) As always, love your meal ideas!!

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 28, 2011 at 8:39 pm

I didn’t know that pairing glucose with fat slowed down sugar absorption! Fun fact of the day :)

Also, I’m in a similar potato rut that you used to be in– I’ve just always in general liked sweet potatoes so much more, however I do occasionally indulge in a white one. Oh and whenever they’re covered in cheese, sour cream, and bacon ;)

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free August 28, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Love potatoes, but sweet taters are still my absolute favorite! My favorite white potato recipe, though, would probably be a good ol’ baked tater with chili!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List August 28, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Heather – I’ve told you once before, but I like the fact that I can come here and see REAL food and not just protein bars and green smoothies. I’m sure you still eat those, but the butter and potatoes, you must keep!!

HEAB August 29, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Lindsay,
Thanks, trying to keep it real around here…but I do love a good smoothie, although not usually green. Used to do the green smoothie thing all the time, but then thought, Why am I putting all my spinach in the blender? It’s much better stir-fried with butter! ;)

Kim @ Spoonful of Sass August 28, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Hooray for standing up for the poor neglected and stereotyped white potato!

Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine August 28, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Nothing beats my mom’s fried potatoes. She used to make them with salmon patties and served with a side of applesauce and baked beans–my favorite meal ever! Bold statement, but true. :)

HEAB August 29, 2011 at 7:23 pm

Casey, oh gosh, that meal sounds divine. Could so go for that right about now. Aren’t moms the best? :)

charlotte August 28, 2011 at 9:45 pm

I totally agree with you about the potatoes are whole foods and therefore should not be feared thing! It always irks me when nutrition experts extol the virtues of every other plant and then say “except potatoes.” What? Why? So glad you are eating them these days!

Tangy August 28, 2011 at 9:49 pm

I’m from Illinois, so I do enjoy my white potatoes! I love cooking them up all crispy in the oven with salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder. I also love the overeasy egg/ham/potato combo. For baked–I’m not going to lie, I love it loaded with butter, sour cream, cheese, and bacon. One of life’s guilty pleasures :)

Katie August 28, 2011 at 10:27 pm

I grew up eating potatoes at least 3-4 times a week, and I’m not dead. So there, silly white-potato-avoiders.

Samantha August 28, 2011 at 10:53 pm

I LOVE sweet potatoes in any way shape or form but probably simple baked fries is my fave. Not a huge white potato fan, simply baked with a dab of butter and some salt.

THANK YOU for sharing iHerb…I haven’t found any nut butter beyond plain pb here in Japan…YET. Although the husband might kill me if I order any more boxes to his office (we’re not allowed a personal mailing address)

HEAB August 29, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Samantha,
I know several readers who have ordered from iHerb from Japan. The husband will thank you once he gets a bite of Justin’s chocolate almond butter. :)

Lorne August 28, 2011 at 10:57 pm

Good international shipping rates… I am so excited and also nervous to click on that link.
You may be responsible for some serious international shopping ;0)

Oh how can I resist, off I go to clink that link :0)

HEAB August 29, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Lorne,
Oh my gosh, you will love iHerb! Hope you’re enjoying some Justin’s soon. :)

Kristin @ STUFT Mama August 28, 2011 at 11:42 pm

I never really crave potatoes, but when I do have them they are soooo good! I love a plain baked potato topped with LOTS of salsa. :)

Hannah August 29, 2011 at 1:05 am

I just hyperventilated, and then a hundred swearwords of excitement ran through my head. Thank you for the head’s up! SQUEE!!!!

HEAB August 29, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Hannah, thought of you when I posted the iHerb info. Hope you’re enjoying some Justin’s soon! :)

Hannah August 29, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Have already been trying to decide which ones to get! Do you have any recommendations? I believe I’ve tried samples of the honey and maple peanut ones, but didn’t actually think the flavours were strong?

HEAB August 29, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Hannah,
I love Justin’s classic almond butter, although I wish it was crunchy. It’s super creamy as it contains palm oil. My favorite hands down is his chocolate almond butter. So good. His only flavor I am not a huge fan of is the chocolate PB. Not chocolatey enough for me. :)

Hannah August 29, 2011 at 7:49 pm

Thank you my dear! I was leaning towards the almond butters because they don’t exist in Australia (well, there’s one plain almond butter I can get at a health food store, but it’s a bit mediocre). I foresee chocolate almond butter in my next order (once I’ve finished the nooch and stevia I already have :P )

Eimear August 29, 2011 at 2:33 am

I live in Ireland, so potatoes were the carb of choice growing up. I gave them up for a while doing a SCD/GAPS type diet, but I’ve started eating them a lot now and they are pretty yummy and go with everything:)

Heather @ Bake, Run, Live August 29, 2011 at 3:30 am

I love potatoes! Not a big fan of sweet potatoes though (I’ll have to keep trying). I love to microwave the potatoes until just fork tender. Then I cut them into bite size pieces and pan fry them in coconut oil, whatever spices I feel like, and finished with a little butter.

Michaela August 29, 2011 at 5:23 am

I have never heard of anyone NOT eating potatoes for diet reasons!! I used to have nutrition classes at school and the teacher always told us to eat potatoes, as they are not only nutritious, but also kinda low in calories.
My favorite way to eat them… hm, sometimes I crave them mashed (with a bit of coconut milk to make it vegan), mostly I prefer them roasted.

Stephanie August 29, 2011 at 5:45 am

Oh noes. The good international shipping rate may be my downfall. I’ve been trying to get my hands on some Justin’s nutbutter, but living in Canada has been making it difficult/expensive. I’ve got the link open and am afraid for my credit card.

My favourite way to eat potatoes are usually roasted/french fries or this recipe that involves cooking small new potatoes in some butter, onion, garlic and stock and then finishing the sauce off with some parsley and even more butter. My husband is French (from Quebec) and I’m Inuit. We don’t really believe in small amounts of fat!

HEAB August 29, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Stephanie,
Yeah, I’m Southern and a big fan of fat as well. ;)

Jamie August 29, 2011 at 7:49 am

Baked potatoes are such a comfort food. My fav potato recipe is chopped small red potatoes, roasted in olive oil with finely chopped garlic and fresh herbs. YUM!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 29, 2011 at 8:08 am

I used to eat a potato every single day for lunch like that until hearing they were high on the glycemic index and giving them up for a while. Now they’re back in!

Nolita @ Morganic August 29, 2011 at 8:30 am

I’m with Jamie on the roasted reds with olive oil and garlic! This past weekend I cooked white potatoes for the first time in forever. I was going to make mashed but it was so hot I went with roasted wedges. Finger licking good.

FYI, I get my Justin’s Nut Butter via Amazon Subscribe and Save and 3-16oz are $15.64 FREE delivery. I save a lot on roasted tomatoes, chicken stock, etc with S&S too. Will have to check out iHerb for additional savings! Thanks for sharing!

HEAB August 29, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Nolita,
Yes, we’ve ordered Justin’s through the S&S program. Love iHerb AND Amazon. :)

Nolita August 29, 2011 at 8:31 am

Sorry that should be $16.54 ^^^^

Melissa @ TryingToHeal August 29, 2011 at 8:47 am

I love white potatoes! I used to avoid them like the plague, but when I started getting my organic produce box and didn’t want them to go to waste because they come EVERY WEEK I had to eat them and they were so filling! Sweet potatoes can take a back seat for now!

Shelby August 29, 2011 at 9:09 am

I adore white potatoes! I don’t understand the big deal..I mean, they grow in the ground. They aren’t stripped of their nutritients like other white foods like white rice or white bread, they’re natural therefore they can’t be bad for you!

My mom makes amazing rosemary potatoes with olive oil, rosemary, and sea salt. Chopped up small and roasted in the oven, so delish!

Mark August 29, 2011 at 9:10 am

Heather,

Great comments re: potatoes. As with most nutritional info in the mainstream media, bits of info are sensationalized and often taken out of context. Since the gycemic index is such a hot topic these days, it’s important to remember that the index was developed as a guide for diabetics and looks at each food when eaten by itself. When foods are eaten in combination (eg. potatoe with some fat, or yogurt, or whatever) it’s a whole different story. It’s a big mistake to be misled into believing that the glycemic in and of itself is the way to go. Great insight!

P.S. You’ve got to get into the sweet potatoes. Bake them (do the small organic ones from Trader Joe’s and they taste like candy), cube then and steam them, mash them, etc., etc. They are the best!!

HEAB August 29, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Coach McCabe,
So good to hear from you, and I miss seeing you guys every year. Thanks for the comment – so true (about the glycemic index AND the small sweet potatoes from Trader Joe’s). Please say hi to the fam for me! :)

Tricia August 29, 2011 at 9:47 am

I love baked sweet potatoes with cinammon and butter or as “french fries” with salt and pepper and a little rosemary. My favorite way for a white baked potato includes butter, shredded cheese and cottage cheese…so yummy! Thanks for sharing the fat and glycemic fact.

Jen August 29, 2011 at 9:54 am

Eggs on a baked potato is genius! It’s like a new take on scrambled eggs with breakfast potatoes. Sounds so good! My favorite way to eat a baked potato is with butter and sea salt…and maybe some chives and sour cream. Sometimes salsa. I’ve always been pretty traditional with baked potatoes, but now I can’t wait to try the eggs+cheese+tater combination!

Cindy August 29, 2011 at 10:32 am

my family adores the simple baked potato and nothing beats letting them sit in the oven with those poked holes!

I have to try your framble egg version now! It looks AMAZING!

Melissa B. August 29, 2011 at 11:19 am

Oh, I love potatoes- all varieties! Lately, we like to make homemade “crabby” fries. I slice them up, coat them with coconut oil, season them with Old Bay seasoning, and bake them up! They are to die for, and I even enjoy the leftovers the next morning with my eggs :)

HEAB August 29, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Melissa,
I must make this when I get home!

Candy @ Healthy in Candy Land August 29, 2011 at 11:54 am

Potatoes, onions, butter…reminds me of my childhood since my Dad was from the midwest and would have preferred to eat that combination at every meal. I realized after reading your post that it has been a very long time (probably since I was pregnant 5 years ago!) since I’ve had a white potato. That is about to change–your photos look so good!

HEAB August 29, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Candy,
Haha – what is it with pregnant women and baked potatoes? Most women I know craved them while pregnant – must be something in them we needed. Oh, and my dad did eat that combo at every meal. I’m serious – every meal growing up revolved around those three ingredients as far as he was concerned.

Ana August 29, 2011 at 1:46 pm

So interesting. Whenever I travel to Denmark where they live off of potatoes I never gain a pound. In fact I lose weight on a meat and potatoes diet! I have stable blood sugar and excellent triglycerides so I guess it is not a concern for me.
During WW2 they actually had to convince the Danish population to stop eating porridge/grains. They promoted eating potatoes because they are filled with potassium, vitamin c and very nutrient dense.

Courtney August 29, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Yum! I used to love baked potatoes with cheddar cheese as a kid… still do! Great comfort food :)

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com August 29, 2011 at 2:30 pm

I love potatoes cooked in a little ghee, seasoned with salt, pepper & a pinch of garam masala. Out of this world :D

Eleanor@eatinglikeahorse August 29, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Hooray for potatoes! They get such a bad press because of the whole “carbs are bad” thing but they’ve got nearly as much nutrition as sweet ones! My favourite when I was younger was jacket potatoes – we used to scrape out the middle, mix it with bacon bits and cheese and pile it back in – ultimate comfort food :-)

Kat @ Big Apple Little Kitchen August 29, 2011 at 2:59 pm

I haven’t had a baked potato like this in YEARS! thanks for the reminder!

Monique (@AmbitiousKitch) August 29, 2011 at 5:17 pm

This looks absolutely incredible. I want to make it with sweet potatoes. Thanks!

Nora @ Natural Noshing August 29, 2011 at 5:29 pm

I’m all for white (or sweet) potatoes – especially if you eat the skin, yummy! Sometimes there isn’t a substitute for white potatoes, a good baked potato with a creamy inside, crisp potato skin, some type of protein or beans, cheese and hummus/guac/salsa/nut butter/tahini to top it all off – it’s all good and so many combos to choose from!

Abbey August 29, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Yes, I hear you on the white potato. I refused to eat them for years and when I became pregnant I experienced the same as you. It was mighty tasty and didn’t make me gag. I ate a ton of them during those nausea-filled weeks. I will continue to eat them now that I can see, wow, I don’t weigh 400 lbs. like I thought I would after eating them! They are so good! xo

Tara August 29, 2011 at 8:54 pm

I love white potatoes! I went through this phase where I was obsessed with Cascadian farms frozen vegetable medley which is potatos, red peppers, and sugar snap peas with an herby sauce. I always added beans and it was a super fast, super delicious meal! Oh and I also love tortilla espanola!

Erin August 29, 2011 at 11:23 pm

Heather, I’ve had the SAME attitude toward white potatoes as you and I so rarely eat them, but I couldn’t resist a really nice one from the W. Nashville Farmer’s Market recently. It was just too perfect and pretty to pass up.

I made a potato puree with fresh rosemary to serve with rack of lamb (TJ’s finally has a rack of lamb with no canola oil!!) and then I remembered how awesome potatoes can be! I probably won’t be eating pounds of potatoes, but I think they’ve found a place on my plate again;-)

PS- thanks for the mention!
-Erin

Kilee August 29, 2011 at 11:48 pm

My mom and I ate a very similar dinner when I was in high school. We would slice a baked potato in half and cover it with shredded chicken breasts, cheddar cheese, salsa, sour cream and black olives. Yum! Talk about a meal flash back!
Fast-forward to today. I avoid nightshade vegetables as much as possible because my family has a strong history of arthritis and I’ve read about the link between nightshade vegetables and arthritis pain. If I have the occasional baked potato or roasted eggplant, NBD.
I need to try your flutterbutter combo asap. Maybe with breakfast tomorrow? :)

Angel7 August 30, 2011 at 1:38 am

I LOVE potatoes, especially french fries and baked potatoes!!! Baked potatoes tie for first place with french fries, because I love sour cream and butter on my baked potatoes, and lots of both :) — the sour cream and butter are good fats, if eaten in moderation.

Love the Frambled Eggs idea! I would never have thought to pair all those ingredients together.

Dana @ the Big Fat Skinny August 30, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Here’s to real foods!! I am a veg, but don’t use fauz meat products for the most part, unless I’m in a pinch. After years of cutting calories by using “fat free” this and “sugar free” that, I’ve come to realize that whole foods are the very best thing for me. Those potatoes looks delish!! Glad I read this now, and not 3 years ago ;)

HEAB August 30, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Dana,
Me too. :)

Liz @ Southern Charm August 30, 2011 at 12:50 pm

My favorite potato recipe is a baked potato with some sauteed vegetable … mushrooms, carrots, spinach, kale, etc. with a cheese. My ultimate favorite is a baked potato with my smothered greens and goat cheese! So Amazing!

Must admit … your potato looks pretty amazing as well!

HEAB August 30, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Liz,
Anything “smothered in goat cheese” gets my vote. :)

Elina (Russian Bites) August 30, 2011 at 1:59 pm

White potatoes are a major food group in Russian cooking. I knew we also covered them in sour cream for a reason ;)
PS – I’m hosting a giveaway on Healthy and Sane for some pretty awesome stuff. Check it out if you’re curious! Here is the link: http://blog.healthyandsane.com/2011/08/summer-fruit-cobbler-giveaway/

Vegetarian in the City August 30, 2011 at 4:06 pm

I love white potatoes used in Massaman Curry, the only curry I like.

Baked potatoes make me think of childhood meals … sigh :)

VEGirl August 30, 2011 at 5:23 pm

I love both potatoes AND sweet potatoes! The thing is I never get to the point of making a recipe with them, because I am so infatuated with them plain. When I was little, my favorite dinner was baked potatoes. My parents always thought this was great since that was one of the easiest meals they could whip up!

Ana August 30, 2011 at 6:07 pm

To me only a few foods are more comforting than a warm potato topped with butter. Really, all you need to make potatoes even better is a bit of butter, and all is good with the world!
Now, butter is just too good and I had to come here and tell you that I always liked warm oatmeal with butter (and people always thought I was weird! ha!), but the butter + flax idea is genius Heather, I had that today with a bowl of oat bran and it was sooo delicious!
By the way, you mentioned on another post that you could not find oat bran where you are, would you like me to send you some? I would be more than happy to!!

HEAB August 30, 2011 at 6:57 pm

Ana,
I’m so glad you enjoyed the butter + flax combo. Loving it too these days, and you are so sweet to offer to send me oat bran. However, we leave for Nashville on Saturday, and several boxes await me at home. :)

Meghan @ StruggleMuffins August 31, 2011 at 7:06 am

I hear you on white potato avoidance but I’m happy you’re now embracing them – along with fiber and energy (via carbs) they offer the perfect portion control – it’s not like sitting down to a plate of pasta and 4 servings later, wondering why you’re so full.

Also, this so reminded me of those TV commercials from the 90s – ‘Pork, the OTHER white meat’ – you could launch a white potato campaign :)

Susan August 31, 2011 at 9:17 am

I am a HUGE fan of the white potato now for the same reason! Except my nausea is from chemo. Some days I really CRAVE a white potato covered in salt. I take it as a sign that my body wants electrolytes. White potatoes are higher in potassium than bananas after all, and right now bananas are way too sweet for my tastebuds.

Just wish I could use that excuse to eat french fries ;)

Dinahsoar August 31, 2011 at 2:18 pm

THANK YOU—finally the voice of reason…white potatoes get their due. It’s about time.

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli September 2, 2011 at 2:51 pm

I love making homemade crispy potato chips! Not really a recipe…just thinly sliced potato rounds coated with olive oil and sprinkled with paprika, garlic, and salt and pepper. Add a bit of parmesan cheese and you’ve got yourself a winner! Mmm!