Favorite Michigan Workouts

by HEAB on August 30, 2011

I haven’t intentionally worked out while  in Michigan.  Not once.  However, just because I’m not thinking about exercise doesn’t mean I’m not moving.  Staying active is a major part of my daily routine here, but that’s exactly what it is – just part of my day, and I’m liking it.

Every morning, Summer, the dogs, and I go on a walk.  Since we don’t have a fenced-in yard like we do at home, the dogs must be walked.  Exercise?  Yep and quite an enjoyable way to start the day as the weather here is beautiful…after my morning coffee of course.  Before making dinner, we go on walk #2 with CD.  Love our family walks.

One day, we headed up to the street to this lighthouse…

zcEIVw on Make A Gif, Animated Gifs

and climbed the stairs for a beautiful view of Lake Huron.

Another day, I borrowed a bike from the store down by the harbor and rode around, enjoying the sunshine as well as the flat streets. Nashville is super hilly!

7O0WHA on Make A Gif, Animated Gifs

Also, how about carrying a 9-month old baby on your back while exploring the shoreline?

By the way, I keep getting questions about our baby carrier.  I own several, but the Ergo Sport pictured above is probably my favorite. It’s super easy to get on and off, and both CD and I enjoy wearing it.  We purchased ours from Babysteals.com, and if you sign up for the deal of the day email, they often offer the Ergo at a major discount (we got it for half off the normal retail price).

So, these have been some of my workouts over the last few weeks…no fancy gym shoes required either.  Oh, and don’t forget the importance of rest days!

Happy Chuck Taylor Tuesday! :)

Kristin @ STUFT Mama August 30, 2011 at 6:49 pm

Aww….. the importance of rest days. LOVE your Michigan workouts. Those workouts where you enjoy every minute life has to offer are the best sometimes. :) And… you’re so right. Carrying a 9 month old on your back is a pretty darn good workout. People who haven’t experienced it just don’t know. :) Chuck Taylor Tuesdays never disappoint.

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 30, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Family walks are such a great idea! I used to always look forward to long walks with my mom while I was growing up, so I’m sure Summer will feel the same!

Kimberly August 30, 2011 at 6:54 pm

So glad you are enjoying your time away! I was just thinking the other day that I wished we lived somewhere not so hilly so I could ride a bike. It’s impossible in these mountains of Virginia! I have enjoyed some nice walks by the river though. ;) xoxo

Abby August 30, 2011 at 7:27 pm

I can’t help but want to walk all the time when the Michigan weather’s as nice as it’s been this week. It’s supposed to get back up to 90 on Friday and then 70 on Saturday, so you never know what you’re going to get. Best to take advantage of the good stuff!

And not that it matters, but you look stunning in that photo anyway. Whatever you’re doing is working ;)

HEAB August 31, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Thank you Abby. :)

Cloudy here today. Hoping we get a few more days of sun before we leave on Saturday. We’re going to miss MI so much!

Alyssa August 30, 2011 at 7:30 pm

How fun! I used to love to put the babies in their backpack carriers. (They loved it,too.) One of my favorite “workouts” is a family walk. They’re so much fun, and it never feels like exercise.

Holly @ The Runny Egg August 30, 2011 at 7:30 pm

You may not need fancy gym shoes but your shoes are still pretty fancy — actually now that I think of it, I see quite a few people at my gym who wear Chucks while they lift.

I love the “moving” pictures of you biking — I would have biked into a wall if I tried to do that!

HEAB August 31, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Holly,
Haha – I did it while circling in a small parking lot. Just had the camera around my neck and snapped away. Those were about the only shots that turned out – most of them were just of the pavement and nothing else. :)

lindsay August 30, 2011 at 7:35 pm

i call these functional workouts, the best kind too!
;)

Leanne August 30, 2011 at 8:01 pm

I LOVE babysteals.com and I’ve been wondering about the Ergo. Is yours both front and back carrier, or specifically made for back carrying?

HEAB August 31, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Leanne,
The Ergo Sport works for both front and back baby wearing. I wore Summer in the front up until she was about 7 months old and just started wearing her on my back when we got to MI. I still wear her on my front if CD isn’t around to help me as I can’t always get her on my back by myself.

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} August 30, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Thanks for the link to babysteals.com. I’ve never heard of it but looks like a great site to find deals!

HEAB August 31, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Maryea,
You’re welcome. I’ve gotten some great deals from the site including a bathing suit with snaps at the bottom for Summer. Those are so hard to find, and I don’t understand why all baby one piece bathing suits don’t have snaps at the bottom? So hard to change the diaper otherwise.

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} August 31, 2011 at 7:28 pm

Oooh I didn’t even know they made bathing suits with snaps at the bottom! Meghan is potty trained now, but they would be super helpful for her even now because she has to go pee at least 3 times every time we go to the pool and trying to get a wet bathing suit on and off her is no fun. I’m on the lookout now. :-)

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List August 30, 2011 at 8:13 pm

We try to take a family walk every Sunday. Love having all the family together and outside! My double stroller gets WAY too much use.

katie @KatieDid August 30, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Long leisure bike rides are my exercise of choice lately too. More to enjoy the path by the gorgeous mountain and lake views than for exercise itself.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga August 30, 2011 at 8:33 pm

I love you and Summer with the Ergo and the Chuck’s. This is SUCH a Heather post. Casual, no fancy equipment, shoes, toys, bells and whistles…just you, nature, your gorgeous baby, and walking and just living life and staying active. Love it!

Also, very cool “action” the lighthouse is doing..nice! I guess that’s a flash feature? I have never even done a pic like that!

And the social media icons you have…did Zesty make those for you? Have an email into him. Just re-did my site…by myself! but need some help with a few things. Love your overall site vibe, as always, but noticed your icons seem new-ish.

HEAB August 31, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Averie,
It’s an animated gif I made at http://www.makeagif.com. So easy – just upload the pics to their site, and it will animate the photo for you. Then add the HTML code to your blog post. :)

Yep, Zesty did the icons. Must go check out your new look!

Katie August 30, 2011 at 8:56 pm

This post makes me wish I were on vacation. The weather here is gorgeous, but I am deep deep in work mode.

Baking N Books August 30, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Sounds perfectly, perfectly lovely to me :)

What’s your opinion on strength training? I know it’s important – but I haven’t really done it in years out of – well, disinterest. I just don’t care to spend time doing it…

HEAB August 31, 2011 at 7:00 pm

BnB,
I think strength training is great – love when my arms are nice and toned, but honestly, nothing has ever toned like my body like yoga. I know a lot of people are into lifting heavy, and it gets results. I’m just not a fan of pain and prefer a vinyasa flow. Yoga always give my entire body and good strength training session – no dumbbells required. I lift sometimes and I might do it more often in the future. Who knows? These days, I’d rather be on the mat. :)

Baking N Books August 31, 2011 at 8:05 pm

I agree. I’d much rather do a few sun salutations. I just am not interested in weight training (although I used to be in the past), but am never sure if it’s something I should still do (or try) or just go do what I feel like and not listen to those “shoulds”.

Thanks for your response :)

Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine August 31, 2011 at 12:00 am

How sweet does Summer look?! Sounds like such a relaxing summer. Lots of bonding time–that is wonderful!

Casey Lorraine August 31, 2011 at 4:02 am

Mmm…all sounds lovely. I adore walks and hikes outside, bike riding and anything with a friend or my partner really. Feels so enjoyable, not like exercise.
Keep on enjoying :)

MizFit August 31, 2011 at 4:27 am

for some reason I was always a SLING girl (the full fabric loop).
So much so that E now carries all her stuffed animals and dolls around in a sling we made for her :)

HEAB August 31, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Miz,
That is adorable. I have a ring-sling but have trouble getting it tight enough. Used it a lot when Summer was tee-tiny. Miss her being cradle next to me like that. :)

Cameo August 31, 2011 at 4:53 am

What lovely pics! How you do dat with the changing images? So cooL!

HEAB August 31, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Thanks Cameo. I make them at http://www.makeagif.com and then add the HTML code to my blog post. Easy! :)

The Delicate Place August 31, 2011 at 8:30 am

that’s what i love about vacation! workouts seem effortless because you don’t have to plan them! i’m going to the beach very soon and am really stoked that i can count walks, swims & bike rides to the store as exercise. I get to be outside and not slugging it out in the air conditioning silently cursing ;p p.s. i love your GIFs lately!

HEAB August 31, 2011 at 6:51 pm

Thanks DP. I just do them at makeagif.com. Tried figuring it out in Photoshop Elements, but not quite there yet. :)

Vegetarian in the City August 31, 2011 at 9:01 am

that looks wonderful! what a great way to spend time with your family. how much does Summer weigh now?

HEAB August 31, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Veg in the City,
Not sure as we haven’t been to the doctor in several months. Summer has an appt. next week when we get home, but I’m guessing 18 pounds maybe?

Vegetarian in the City September 1, 2011 at 11:16 am

Wow – if carrying 18 pounds on your back isn’t a tough workout, i don’t know what is ;)

emily August 31, 2011 at 10:49 am

Thanks for sharing your vacation. Michigan looks lovely. And thanks for the reminder about rest days. In my experience, too much “go, go, go” weakens the body . I inevitably overdo it, until some sort of ailment forces me to take a break. Better to honor the natural flow of things and stay healthy!

Dana @ the Big Fat Skinny August 31, 2011 at 9:11 pm

I love this! I think unintentional exercise is some of the most fun to do!