Cleaning Out So We Can Head Out

by HEAB on September 1, 2011

We leave to go home on Saturday morning. I can’t believe our time here in Michigan has come to an end. As excited as I am about getting back to Nashville, I will dearly miss our picturesque lake views and amazing weather…the forecast for Nashville on Saturday is 100℉. Despite the weather, I cannot wait to get home, back to our house, our routine, our family, our friends, my favorite coffee shop, The Buttermyd, oat bran, and Trader Joe’s! Oh TJ’s, how I’ve missed thee. Anyway, we’re doing our best to eat what groceries we have left. Thus, there has been a lot of snacking on…

HardBoiledEggSalsa.psd

Hardboiled eggs + salsa

Random assortment of fridge goodies that made up today’s lunch…

PresqueIsleLeftovers.psd

Leftover stir-fried veggies & chicken, a baked potato with melted cheddar, all topped with salsa. Loving salsa lately.

Question is, do you think CD, Summer, and I can polish off 10 cans of kraut in less than 48 hours? You know we love a good challenge. To be continued…

KrautCans.psd

P.S. In yesterday’s Guess The Cook post, I made the Marinutta Chicken, and CD made the Cheesy Chicken Hash. Come on, you guys should know by now that any recipe involving 3 TBSP of butter is definitely a CD creation. ;)

Jennie (the gf-gf) September 1, 2011 at 6:24 pm

I love clean out the fridge meals, the end results are always so interesting!

I know what you mean about vacations coming to an end — it’s bittersweet, but in some ways I love getting back to the routine, and getting back to my own kitchen!

Sarah R September 1, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Not sure you would want to be in a vehicle with me for an extended period of time after all that sauerkraut!

Thanks for the Nashville recommendations–I went to Fido’s this morning and loved it! I also stopped by Trader Joes and they said they missed you too ;)

Sarah R September 1, 2011 at 6:33 pm

And safe travels to you all!

HEAB September 2, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Sarah,
Yay – so glad you made it to Fido’s, but still so sad I missed you! Hope you guys make it back to N’ville some day soon. :)

Hannah September 1, 2011 at 6:34 pm

Totally knew yours was the Marinutta! And of course you can finish of that much kraut! Kraut and Bakers together would be fabulous, no? :P

HEAB September 2, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Hannah,
Believe it or not, that is one combo I do not want to try. ;)

Hannah September 2, 2011 at 7:54 pm

I don’t think I’d love fermented or pickled chocolate either. But if I found it, I’d reviewed it. For the blog, you know. :P

Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 1, 2011 at 6:36 pm

Haha! I love your challenges!! You can do it!

Clairerose C September 1, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Ten cans?! Holy Moly! I hope you keep little Summer out of that challenge.It would lead to stinky poops and a smelly car ride home.For all of you.hehe:-)cc

Holly @ The Runny Egg September 1, 2011 at 7:18 pm

I was wrong — I thought for sure you had made the hash!

Good luck with the kraut — I know you can do it!

Missy September 1, 2011 at 7:34 pm

I cannot believe you make an egg and salsa look so freaking amazingly craveable–like Manna from heaven!
Is there an award for that?

If you guys polish off all that kraut you better be prepared for an interesting trip home!!

Kelly@LeafyNotBeefy September 1, 2011 at 7:35 pm

WHOA, 10 cans?! I wouldn’t put it past you since it’s a challenge… but I know my stomach would not be saying nice things to me if I ate that much of a good thing =) Have a safe trip home!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List September 1, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Packing is great and I’m glad you’re going back and all, but I’m just wondering this: what in the WORLD made you buy that much kraut in the first place??? ;)

HEAB September 2, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Lindsay,
Haha – we love our kraut!! Both CD and I have been consuming 1 can each a day…guess we overestimated our needs by about 5 days. ;)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga September 1, 2011 at 8:10 pm

It wasnt really the butter that gave it away…it was the sauce. Anything with that kind of red sauce, just the word Marinutta…it just was too much you for it to be CD if that makes sense.

Traveling and being gone is nice but there is NOTHING better than getting HOME after being on the road and getting back into a familiar routine and also all your familiar stuff, i.e. TJs, coffee shop, internet…yes, all VERY necessary :)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) September 1, 2011 at 8:26 pm

If the sodium wouldn’t do me in, I could eat all 10 cans of kraut in one day. I LOVE it! I eat it straight out of the jar, room temperature or cold. Yummmmmmm

Have a safe and peaceful trip home!!

Nikki September 1, 2011 at 8:26 pm

I don’t know if I am more curious or scared of what the ten cans of kraut will bring!?! Enjoy the last moments of your trip! I spend most of August away from home and got home last night so I can relate. Today was spend mowing, doing laundry, and building nesting boxes in the chicken coop while kiddos had first day of school. I just want to go away again already to avoid all that needs to be caught up on before the school I work at starts again!

HEAB September 2, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Nikki,
Trust me, I get it. Already dreading the pile of mail that awaits…

lindsay September 1, 2011 at 8:27 pm

i’d say yes you can. one big casserole! but i’d keep the windows rolled down on the car ride home.
;)

Abby September 1, 2011 at 8:29 pm

The question is, if you guys consume 10 cans of kraut in 48 hours and then pack yourselves into a car for the drive back to Nashville, will Summer be given and oxygen mask? ;)

HEAB September 2, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Abby,
Hehe – payback for all those poopy diapers. ;)

Baking N Books September 1, 2011 at 8:46 pm

I guessed right! I wasn’t sure but then I thought – yeah, HEAB would use tomato paste.

Okay…what is Kraut??

michelle September 1, 2011 at 9:01 pm

I did a clean out the fridge tonight as well for a 3 day trip. I dumped a big bowl of leftover cold bean salad in the food processor, added some chickpea flour and spices and made falafels. Surprisingly, they turned out great!

HEAB September 2, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Michelle,
Um, yum. Simple, yet genius!

Emily September 1, 2011 at 9:19 pm

I loved yesterdays post but unfortunately couldnt leave my guess because I was on my phone but I GOT IT RIGHT!! I can always tell that you’re nut-butter heavy and CD is butter-heavy :) We’re getting a new fridge delivered on Sunday so we’re on a clean-out as well! I always love your creativity with meals; hopefully it will inspire some good ones over here! Enjoy the rest of your trip and happy trails back to Nashville!

Candy @ Healthy in Candy Land September 1, 2011 at 11:36 pm

I was right too! Yesssss!

Pretty much the only way I can eat eggs is if they are smothered in salsa. I’ll have to try a hard-cooked one that way.

Safe travels home.

Health Bee September 1, 2011 at 11:39 pm

Thank you for sharing your vacation in Michigan with us. Great pics!

Have a safe trip home and looking forward to your posts from Nashville.

Jill in Chicago September 2, 2011 at 10:16 am

I’ll miss seeing your beautiful pictures of Michigan!
And thanks for the iHerb discount code — I just placed my first order!

HEAB September 2, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Jill,
You’re welcome. Love iHerb! :)

katie @KatieDid September 2, 2011 at 10:24 am

ahhh I love the new challenge, I’m sure you can accomplish that no problem! And yes it was the 3 Tbsp of butter that gave it away but your usually not far behind in the butter department. Safe travels back home, going home is the best after being gone for so long :)

Vegetarian in the City September 2, 2011 at 11:23 am

I love your fridge leftovers lunch. Looks so good!

You’re making me crave potatoes :)

Heather @ Bake, Run, Live September 2, 2011 at 11:36 am

10 cans of kraut in 48 hours. Wow- if anyone can do it, it’s you and CD!! You two are so creative.
Have a safe trip home!

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli September 2, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Haha! Now THAT’S a lot of kraut! You can do it HEAB! ;)

Pure2raw twins September 2, 2011 at 4:17 pm

we would love to help out with eating all that kraut ;) YUM

Savannah @ Sweet and Savvy September 3, 2011 at 10:56 pm

I’ve been putting salsa on everyyything lately as well! Have you tried Paul Newman’s pineapple salsa? That’s what I’ve been loving! The Mango is great as well.

HEAB September 4, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Savannah,
I have. Good stuff. If you have a Costco near you, then you MUST try their Mango salsa. It is literally the most amazing salsa I have ever put in my mouth. Oh my goodness, I can’t even put it into words how tasty it is.

Sami September 7, 2011 at 7:29 am

AMEN, HEAB!

I love that it comes in those huge plastic containers with the screw on lid! Literally, I could eat the stuff like soup (:

xo.

Kat @ Big Apple Little Kitchen September 6, 2011 at 7:28 am

Ha! I love the challenge of eating to clean out the fridge. Can’t wait to see the results of the Sauerkraut!