I Love PB & ‘Poo

by HEAB on September 7, 2011

A list of vacationing in Michigan and coming home to Nashville realizations:

1. I do not need to check my email or get on the Internet every morning. However, I must say that I prefer Google News for the latest headlines. My apologies to Morning Express with Robin Meade, but you’re kind of annoying.

2. The pups behave so much better when they get two long walks every day…BUT one of them will still break through the DIY dog net in the back of your Jeep Cherokee, even though you shoved pillows and blankets in every possible opening and secured the whole thing with duct tape. So yep, a 12 hour car ride with Radley trying to sit in my lap while Einstein stretched out in the back. I swear he had a smirk on his face too – that dog always ends up with more room than any of us.

3. Coming home to seven weeks worth of weeds in our yard is not pretty. Nor is seven weeks worth of mail.

4. Speaking of mail, apparently I was supposed to report to jury duty on August 22. Oops.

5. I love our dishwasher, like REALLY love our dishwasher.

6. Here at home, CD and I each have our own separate coffee makers as he prefers his coffee super strong, and I basically drink brown water. In Michigan, we had to compromise as there was only one pot. Yes, I know we could have brewed two separate pots, but you see, we both like to drink our coffee first thing in the morning…and we’re lazy. Therefore, our Michigan coffee was a bit strong for me and a bit weak for Chris. Our first morning back in Nashville, I used my own pot to brew my coffee, and yeah, I really do drink brown water. Well, truth be told, I actually drink cream and vanilla stevia with a splash of brown water.

7. I love books. As much as I missed our 24/7 wi-fi, I read a lot in Michigan, and it was good. Books make me happy. Remember those things – they are made with paper and filled with words. I’d kind of forgotten.

8. I posted about using the No ‘Poo method for washing my hair, and honestly, I am so happy to be back to my shampoo!!! For a while the baking soda/apple cider vinegar combo worked great, but after a few weeks, my hair developed this strange film on it, and it always felt greasy or something. I didn’t like it, and I’m back on the ‘poo. Hair is happy.

9. I love Trader Joe’s and Costco and toast with crunchy peanut butter.

WelcomeHomeFoods.psd

10. Michigan, you were amazing, but I’m happy to be home. :)

katie @KatieDid September 7, 2011 at 9:52 pm

I’ve sadly been contemplating shampooing again too. It seriously was awesome for 5 or 6 weeks but lately it’s just been too weighed down. I’m getting a haircut friday so I’m thinking I might want to do the hair dresser a service and shampoo before I go! I can’t wait for a fresh cut and wash and to just start a new!

HEAB September 8, 2011 at 9:24 am

Katie,
Yep, same thing happened to me. I wore my hair in a ponytail almost everyday in MI, but when I was putting it up every morning, it just felt really weird, and I could barely get my fingers through it. Sad, b/c I LOVED the price of my new hair routine. ;)

Savannah @ Sweet and Savvy September 7, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Love this post! :) I’m glad you had an awesome time vacationing in Michigan! Too bad you missed jury duty! Sure it would have been and exciting and entralling time….

Hannah September 7, 2011 at 10:20 pm

Aw, lady, I’m so happy for your happiness :) :) Also, No. 7 is something I remember with an ecstatic jolt every time I pick up a book, and promptly forget everytime I put it down again. I is stoopid.

Also, I’m currently drinking stevia-sweetened hazelnut coffee (no cream). that also makes me happy.

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing September 7, 2011 at 10:28 pm

Welcome home, HEAB! :)

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco September 7, 2011 at 10:41 pm

I love your realizations! As much fun as can be to go DIY, it’s kinda nice to return to modern ammenities, isn’t it? ;) Luv ya, Heather! Talk to you soon!

Katie September 7, 2011 at 10:44 pm

As much as I love a good vacation, I love the feeling of getting home even more. Is that a sign of getting old? Who knows.

I can’t hang with that coffee scene. If I were CD there would have been no compromising. Another reason I’m still single?

HEAB September 8, 2011 at 9:22 am

Katie,
One of our secrets to a happy marriage…2 coffeemakers! ;)

Lauren @ wwob September 7, 2011 at 11:21 pm

Agreed- books are FAR superior to “screen enhanced” reading material. And much more conducive to sleep and relaxation.
Jury duty blows. I have had to reschedule it twice because of summer school and probably again for fall quarter. I am actually worried that I just missed now that you brought it up…. uh oh. Better make a phone call tomorrow!

Maggie @ Say Yes to Salad September 7, 2011 at 11:40 pm

Hehe, I tried the no ‘poo thing for about 2 days once. I couldn’t go any longer!!

Jennie (the gf-gf) September 8, 2011 at 12:09 am

Totally know what you mean about the books – I was only vacationing without Internet for a few days over the weekend, but I actually read something other than food blogs, and it was really nice.

Not going to give up on the food blogs, tho, they’re fun :-)

Shelly September 8, 2011 at 5:44 am

I used a modified no ‘poo method when I lived in New Orleans- scrubbed my scalp with conditioner every day and washed *maybe* once a week, but now that I’ve moved to Maine, my hair seems to be much oilier and I am back to shampooing every day. It’s totally counterintuitive b/c it’s very humid in New Orleans and not so much in Maine- I’m guessing that my skin is producing more oil to make up for the change in climate (it’s happening on my face as well, unfortunately). So weird!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga September 8, 2011 at 5:49 am

Ahhh, jury duty…what’s a blown civic opportunity when you had the opportunity to chill with the fam in Michigan. I’m sure the court system will get over it :)

And no ‘pooing. Have had MANY friends do it and most cannot get past the first week. Of those who stick it out past that, many report the film/dirty/not ever feeling totally clean feeling around the 3 mo mark and that’s when they give it up. Sometimes I can even SMELL their hair and it’s not clean which is when they usually go back to shampoo. However, there’s a handful of ppl I know who have stuck it out for YEARS and will never go back to reg shampoo. I think it depends on hair type, body chemistry, and well….personal preference, too.

I could NEVER not use shampoo. I am crunchy on certain things but not on my bath and hair products. Bring on the chemicals :)

lindsay September 8, 2011 at 5:51 am

Its the little things in life, right? Like REAL shampoo, the sound of a crisp paper page turning, and yes…..COSTCO!
;)

Erika - The Teenage Taste September 8, 2011 at 6:03 am

Glad your back home, Heather! Now the worst part (at least in my opinion) begins – unpacking. Good luck! :-P

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free September 8, 2011 at 6:20 am

I tried the no “poo” thing for a couple weeks, and it just didn’t work for me. I sweat hard everyday, and I feel like the soda just did not get it off. It was like I had crusted sweat on my hair. I also couldn’t put a brush through my hair it got too tangled. Ah well. Always fun to experiment!

And welcome back :D

Emmy (Wine and Butter) September 8, 2011 at 6:32 am

I love getting home too! But mainly because I always convince myself – once I’m an hour from home – that Ive definitely left the oven/iron/hair straighteners on. I cant totally shake the feeling my whole vacation, until Im back home safe and the house is still standing.
Do you think you’ll stick with stronger stuff now?! Once youve been swayed its hard to go back. I now have a doubel in the AM!! At least Im no longer going running on an empty stomach afterwards though right…!? xox

HEAB September 8, 2011 at 9:20 am

Hi Emmy,
Haha – OCD much? I’m that way too and have to recheck everything twice before I leave the house and then I still wonder if I emptied all the trash cans and unplugged this and that. Trust me, I get it.

Nope, back on my “Heather” coffee and lovin it. :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) September 8, 2011 at 6:39 am

I LOVE my dishwasher! I can’t really say enough good things about it. When we were in TN, my in-laws preferred hand washing most things and when I was working at the school, I had to hand wash the big dishes. My hands were so sore from being so wet all the time! I have to say, after living where we were for 3 months, I really do love my home, the area and having modern conveniences close by! Welcome home Heather!

HEAB September 8, 2011 at 9:18 am

Sarena,
Ahhh, agreed 100%. There is no place like home. :)

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats September 8, 2011 at 6:47 am

vacation is great, but there’s something wonderfully comforting about home!

Lori @ Little Bites September 8, 2011 at 6:56 am

I miss Trader Joe’s dearly! I moved to PA from Boston (very sad) and we have no TJ’s here. That crunchy almond butter is taunting me from your picture!

HEAB September 8, 2011 at 9:18 am

Lori,
I read that Trader Joe’s aren’t in some states due to the location of their distribution centers. I’m so sorry. Hopefully, they will come to PA soon!

Kat @ Big Apple Little Kitchen September 8, 2011 at 7:22 am

I didn’t get a real vacation this summer, but we did manage a couple of day trips to the beach; it made me realize how much I love reading BOOKS too!

Pure2raw twins September 8, 2011 at 7:58 am

glad you guys are home! and too cute about the coffee, good think Lori and I have similar taste, and her fiance does not really care for coffee, haha

I have been trying to read more too, although somehow I get distracted really easily

Shelby September 8, 2011 at 8:06 am

Welcome home! :) I always love that feeling of coming home after a long vacation.

And I’m super jealous of your TJ’s goods. I don’t have one near my house…*starts crying*.

Maria Makes Muffins September 8, 2011 at 8:43 am

I tried Morrocco Method no ‘poo for the entire summer and ended up with a weird film on my hair and breakouts around my hairline. I kept waiting for the “detox” to be over, but after 12 weeks, I was finished… Loving my ‘poo! ;-)

HEAB September 8, 2011 at 8:51 pm

Maria,
Happy to hear I’m not the only one!

Nolita September 8, 2011 at 9:04 am

Welcome home…and welcome back to shampoo. I think my hair is too porous or something because I could always smell the ACV and me no likey that lingering smell. I think adding a little baking soda to shampoo and facial cleansers periodically will help scrub/clarify though. I hear ya on the dishwasher. Replacing ours has become a higher priority as life gets busier.

nikki September 8, 2011 at 9:55 am

I couldn’t wait to hear what your post was about today, yet was worried about what I would find when I got here! PB & ‘Poo doesn’t sound as good as PB and J! ;)
I don’t think I could do the no ‘poo thing. Or no dishwasher longterm either! Apparently I am a princess, but I am okay with that! Glad your home, and look forward to hearing all about your adventures with Summer this fall!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List September 8, 2011 at 10:23 am

We haven’t had a dishwasher in 3 years!! They almost seem “fancy” to me now – I’ve forgotten the luxury. Let’s just say, we re-use alot of dishes and my definition of what’s dirty has for sure changed. ;)

caroline September 8, 2011 at 10:28 am

oh there is no place like home, and all those things we take for granted like shampoo, food, our own ways! just wondering why do your drink your coffee so weak, is it because you don’t think its good for you, or just don’t like the taste? i’m asking because i never really know if coffee is the right thing for our bodies, does it do harm at all or is it good for us?

HEAB September 8, 2011 at 8:51 pm

Caroline,
Every week it seems there is new research regarding coffee: it’s good for us, it’s bad for us, it’s good for us again. I go by taste, and I simply prefer my coffee on the weaker side.

R @ Learning As I Chop September 8, 2011 at 11:14 am

I had a similar experience when I was away. Loved the country but glad to be home.

Holly @ The Runny Egg September 8, 2011 at 12:17 pm

I feel the same way about getting away — there are good things about being away and at home. I always prefer home!

Amanda @ AmandaRunsNY September 8, 2011 at 12:38 pm

As a fellower Michigander who moved away from the state, I know the feeling all too well. It’s nice to be with family but nice to get home too.

Dana @ the Big Fat Skinny September 8, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Ahh … books!! I miss them too … early motherhood is a tricky time to get ay good reading done ;) (For me anyway … and if my kid is 2, am I still in early motherhood?)

Getting home is some of the best part of being away :) Glad you’re settling in … and have some crunchy peanut butter toast.

HEAB September 8, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Dana,
Yeah, I think that still counts as early motherhood. ;)

Caitlin @ Vegetarian in the City September 8, 2011 at 2:00 pm

oooh filmy hair is never fun. i’m sure your shampoo missed you too ;)

i also love books, costco, trader joes & all nut butters. do you prefer roasted almond butter or raw? i just tried raw for the first time – so not a fan.

HEAB September 8, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Caitlin,
I have and will always be a roasted girl. I find roasting the nuts really brings out the flavor, and although I like raw almond butter, it often tastes too sweet for me – like almond extract almost.

Marie September 8, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Thanks for sharing your review of the “no ‘poo”. I’ve been thinking about it ever since you posted trying to decide if I would try it. My big hang up was the fact that my hair gets super wet with sweat after I exercise, and we’ve been swimming a lot. It needs to be washed.
So now I won’t worry about it anymore and I’ll be glad I finally caved and ordered some more shampoo:) But it’s good to know there are other options for when you’re in a pinch!

Jenn September 8, 2011 at 3:29 pm

I take great happiness in the simplicity of a nut butter sandwich.

What did you read in Michigan??

HEAB September 8, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Jenn,
I read Understanding Exposure (a photography book), The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest (finally!), Skyjacked, Selfish Reasons to Have More Kids, and I’m still reading 1491.

Liz @ iheartvegetables September 8, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Haha I could not do the no shampoo thing!! And I love reading but I definitely don’t do it as often as I should !!

kathleen @ the daily crumb September 8, 2011 at 4:42 pm

welcome home, heather!

Emily September 8, 2011 at 4:46 pm

This post made me laugh so many times :) Your dogs are too cute and too smart! And what happened with the jury duty??? I thought they hunted people down for that, or at least fined you. And yes, TJ’s nut butter makes me smile, too :)

HEAB September 8, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Emily, I called the jury duty coordinator, and I’m now due to report in late November. Thankfully, I didn’t get in trouble. :)

Kayla September 8, 2011 at 5:51 pm

I have kind of been having issues with the no poo method. I have been doing it for exactly 1 month now. It’s not that I don’t like it, it’s just that the ends of my hair (which I dip in ACV) are getting all oily/weird texture and I think I’m just going to cut back on the ACV, like, maybe stop doing it 3x a week and just 1x.

Other than that I like the no poo method!

HEAB September 8, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Kayla,
Maybe it was the ACV and not the baking soda? I’m not sure, but happy to be back to my shampoo and conditioner. However, will miss the no ‘poo price. So cheap!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 8, 2011 at 6:47 pm

Ahh! Did you get in trouble for not showing up to jury duty?

HEAB September 8, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Mary, no, thank goodness. I just called the coordinator and he rescheduled me for November.

Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine September 8, 2011 at 7:48 pm

I always feel the same way, Heather! I’m on vacation now and as fun as it is, I am looking forward to being home. I get SO annoyed about little things after a while (like not being able to find my hairbrush buried in my suitcase, haha) and just miss the comforts of what feels normal!

liz dean September 8, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Welcome Home!!! :) I don’t think I could live without my dishwasher…you are much braver than me! hehe

Oh…and as a welcome home present…guess what I found at Winn Dixie today?!?! SOUL SEASONING!!!!! I was so excited….I went to get some after we first talked about it and they were back-ordered!! for forever!!!! I totally bought 5 bottles tonight… and, lol…yours will be in the mail tomorrow!!

HEAB September 8, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Liz,
Haha – totally forgot about the Soul Seasoning. Thanks for thinking of me – I can’t wait! :)

michelle September 8, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Robin Meade is indeed annoying and crunchy peanut butter on toast is the best!

carrie @ gingerlemongirl.com September 8, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Oh I’m SO glad you said this about the “no poo” method… because I tried it and the same thing happened.. it kinda worked for a few days… but then my hair got all greasy and icky and I was completely grossed out and too embarrassed to leave my house! lolol… :-) I heart shampoo…

Casey Lorraine September 9, 2011 at 3:07 am

Welcome home! Not so much welcome to the chores though right! ;)
I tried the apple cider and bicarb hair washing routine after seeing it on your blog and I’m still doing it but only once every 2 weeks. The other times I’ll use a natural shampoo and conditioner. It keeps costs down some and I can use my other natural products which cost more in between.

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood September 9, 2011 at 10:39 am

I drink flavored coffee because life is just so much more exciting with flavors already in the coffee than having to add flavored creamer (sometimes I do both) and my dad prefers regular coffee. So we have a coffee maker at work and usually after I make my own pot, I would make him a pot, but recently I’ve been slacking anddd I ran out of his regular coffee so all was left is my flavored coffee. Not a fan of chocolate caramel peanut butter flavors in his morning joe, my dad got sick of me never making coffee for him after I brew my own pot. Now he uses instant coffee ;)

As for the no poo method… I weaned myself off commercial shampoo actually and started using natural shampoo bars. They actually work really well and upon first rinsing, I’m like, “My hair is so… hard… to… comb… through… MUST USE… CONDITIONER!” But then I weaned myself off the commercial conditioner as well and started using Alberto V05 conditioner instead (okay, so it’s still commercial… but still) but it’s cone-free (not that I really know what that means butttt… okay! ;) )and my hair is sooo much easier to style and manage after every wash. I love the shiny state that my hair is in after using shampoo bars though, and as bars they last REALLY LONG.

Then again, I wash my hair almost every night so maybe the costs will add up over time :-D <33

Megan September 9, 2011 at 11:23 am

This is random, but what are your favorite things from Costco. We just recently got a membership and there is so much there so it’s a little overwhelming. What “healthy” things have you found that you like to get ?

HEAB September 9, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Megan,
Oh gosh, where do I even begin? I’m just going to list my favorite Costco finds:
ghee
maple syrup
Saigon cinnamon
Maranatha almond butter
avocados
sweet potatoes (when they have them)
Kerrygold butter
goat cheese
mango salsa (so good as is the Kirkland brand regular salsa)
Sabra hummus
brown rice chips (Riceworks)
guacamole
Produce we always buy at Costco: (spinach, blueberries, mushrooms, onions, celery, avocados)
Fage Greek yogurt (we don’t buy it, but they have it as well as Oikos I think or chobani. Can’t remember)
Kirkland brand PB is great, but we rarely buy it b/c it’s creamy, and I prefer chunky
quinoa
rolled oats
Texmati brown rice
Parm
Bleu cheese crumbles
Chicken sausages
Eggland’s Best Eggs

That’s all that comes to mind right now, but really, Costco is the BEST! Have fun shopping! :)

Stephanie @ Aspiring September 10, 2011 at 11:27 am

Hi, Heather!
I was reading a book in last few days, and I thought of you, who gave birth to a beautiful baby just few months ago! Therefore I really wanted to recommend you this book: “Deep Nutrition: Why Your Genes Need Traditional Food” by Catherine Shanahan M.D.
It’s so wonderful and eye-opening for me, and I realized how you were able to have such an adorable baby (you’ll understand what I mean when you read this book)!
Please check the book out, and I hope you like it, too!
Sincerely, Stephanie

HEAB September 10, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Hi Stephanie,
I will read the book. Just bookmarked in on Amazon. I checked but our library doesn’t have it. Going to ask CD to get it for his Kindle. Thanks for the recommendation, and I look forward to reading it. From the reviews I read, sounds very interesting. :)

Samantha September 11, 2011 at 12:33 am

#4-Oops! hope it didn’t cause any trouble.

#6-LOL Andy and I are the exact opposite…strong and black for me, all doctored up for him.

#9-I’m green for anyone on the same continent as TJs/WFs.

#10-MI absolutely is!