A September Weekend

by HEAB on September 11, 2011

It’s been a busy last few days…

Back to Mommy & Me Yoga after a 4-month hiatus. At our last class back in April, Summer just laid on my yoga mat, not even rolling over…haha, not anymore! Everyone warned me that everything changes when the baby starts to crawl. Watch out I kept hearing over and over, but no one told me it changes for the better. So, I’m here to say that it does. I love the crawling stage – it’s fascinating to watch Summer crawl at top speed from room to room exploring every nook and cranny of our house. She’s learning so much about her surroundings and discovers something new everyday.

We had a play date with Molly and Lillian. They moved from Nashville to Atlanta while we were in Michigan but were back in town this weekend, and Summer and I could not wait to see them. Both babies have changed so much in seven weeks…looks like Lillian learned to wave while we were gone. :)

LillianPlaydate4.psd

Eats have been boring as I don’t care to spend much time in the kitchen these days. (See above paragraph on crawling).

Omelet&Toast.psd

2 egg omelet with cheese and toast = quick lunch.

I ditched the diaper bag. For the past ten months, this bag has gone with me everywhere, but this weekend, I decided I’m done.

prd_200001.jpg

I’m just not a diaper bag kind of person. So, I shoved some diapers, a change of clothes, and a few toys into my trusty old backpack I’ve had for years and dug out my beloved KAVU purse. I have a rule when it comes to purses – if I can’t run it through the washer, then I really shouldn’t be carrying it.

BackPack+Purse.psd

So much more me!

I decided I love football season this year as it means I get the Kindle every Sunday afternoon (we share). Finally jumped on The Hunger Games bandwagon – could not put it down.

Most importantly, I remembered…I’ll never forget.

Ashley September 11, 2011 at 11:21 pm

Heather! I’m glad you finally got some Mommy & Me yoga time. I’ve been doing a short routine of yoga for runners, but today I did a vinyasa for beginners. That was at 8am and I can tell that my arms are already sore!
Something completely unrelated to this post… I went to a tiny town in Idaho to visit my grandparents. I checked out their health food store and they were charging $11.95+tax for almond butter. $11.95!!! I thought $4.50 was breaking the bank.

Thanks for your blog!

HEAB September 12, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Ashley,
Yes, I’ve seen those $12 jars of almond butter…so wrong! Thank goodness for Trader Joe’s and Costco, huh? ;)

Hannah September 11, 2011 at 11:24 pm

I love this! I love that each change that comes, you’re embracing as ‘for the better’. What is life without that perspective? :)

Alyssa September 11, 2011 at 11:26 pm

I think, once my kids stared crawling, I didn’t sit for about 4 years, lol!
Enjoy!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga September 12, 2011 at 12:11 am

I was never a big diaper bag carrying mama either. I always had bags with me, i.e. purses or makeshift bags that I used double-duty for…but not really diaper bags per se. And gosh..there are some CUTE ones. But I just never felt right carrying them.

Now that you’re done w/ a diaper bag, if you have a camera bag that you love love love, LMK. I have about four but none of them are “perfect”..straps not padded, straps not the right size/length, main compartment a touch too small, ugly black canvas exteriors…I could go on and on. That’s my daily In Search Of…

lindsay September 12, 2011 at 6:21 am

i think walking is the dangerous stage. its like a you never know when everything is going tumble down.
I’m sure summer is one quick crawler with those little legs. too cute.

p.s.
I’d use that diaper bag even without a baby…..no shame.
;)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) September 12, 2011 at 6:44 am

Molly’s in my neck of the woods! I hear ya on diaper bags. I was never really that kind of girl. I have a burton bag that I still carry and Tony used some bag of his when he was home with Jay. Sounds like you have your hands busy these days. You are definitely in some of the most fun stages now! Enjoy it!

Marla September 12, 2011 at 6:49 am

Hi Heather!
Random comment here, but I just tried oatbran for the first time
this morning and was pleasantly surprised that I like the taste
MUCH more than all other types of oatmeal.
Yay,and I remember reading about it on both your
and Carrots’n'Cake’s blogs, so thanks gals :)

Looks like the nutritional stats are a tad better than oatmeal
which is cool,but I am so happy to have found a healthy
breakfast option for the fall for a “fresh start”!(I still like
a good soft boiled egg on toast as well-so yummy!Esp with
a drop of hot sauce :)

HEAB September 12, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Marla,
So happy to hear you enjoyed your first bowl of oat bran! Nothing like toast dipped in egg yolk, but I also love eating my eggs atop oat bran with a little fresh basil, goat cheese, and wing sauce. Oh my gosh – got the combo from another blogger, and it’s so good.

Marla September 13, 2011 at 6:03 am

Woah, that’s a combo!
I may have to work up courage before
I combine 2 of my fave brekkies- hee hee!

Day 2 on oatbran….and love it!Funny I dislike taste
of other oatmeal though.

I just chop up a couple of dried apricots, as well
as toasted slivered almonds and a little pour of milk all
on top of the cooked oatbran….so delish and
pretty darn healthy I think.

Curious wonder why we like oatbran better flavourwise?
I don’t get it!!

HEAB September 13, 2011 at 9:35 am

Marla,
I don’t know – but it’s so good. Love it plain. I enjoy plain rolled oats as well, but not nearly as much. Your apricot almond combo sounds delicious, and let me know if you ever try a savory mix. Good stuff. :)

kathleen September 12, 2011 at 7:17 am

I love mommy and me yoga. It’s such mad chaos. Lol.

HEAB September 12, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Kathleen,
“mad chaos” – exactly! :)

Katie September 12, 2011 at 7:27 am

Another Hunger Games convert!! I can’t wait for the movie!

brandi September 12, 2011 at 7:59 am

i think that breakfast looks perfect :)

happy monday!!

Molly September 12, 2011 at 8:10 am

We miss you guys already! And I am getting close to ditching my diaper bag too…even thought it is cute :) xo

HEAB September 12, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Molly,
I thought the same thing…your bag is super cute. Would be hard to ditch. ;)

Holly @ The Runny Egg September 12, 2011 at 8:29 am

I can totally see myself switching to a backpack instead of a diaper bag — my sister did that too and I could see how much easier it was to lug around.

I’m glad you are reading the Hunger Games! Loved those books.

B n B September 12, 2011 at 8:38 am

I have to jump on the Hunger Games bandwagon. I’m reading “Bitter Is The New Black” – very funny and sarcastic. Perfect for me right now :)

Like the new bag.

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats September 12, 2011 at 9:35 am

I also started reading the Hunger Games a couple days ago and I totally understand the hype! I can’t stop thinking about it and wanting to read!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List September 12, 2011 at 9:45 am

Great idea…sharing the Kindle. When Travis watches football, it’s my time to catch up on blogs…which was basically ALL afternoon and night yesterday.

Trainer Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life September 12, 2011 at 9:52 am

I love football season but read magazines (Yoga Journal was my choice for yesterday) during the games I don’t care to see! I also get lots done around the house as football comes on at 10am out in AZ so the husband is distracted starting early!

Maggie @ Say Yes to Salad September 12, 2011 at 11:14 am

I like simple lunches. And I’m glad you got to try the cinnamon toast the other day ;)

Bobby and I share the iPad and I am always glad when he has some boy distraction (like the game yesterday). I love reading on that thing.

Krista Dial September 12, 2011 at 12:40 pm

I’ve heard Mommy & Me yoga is a BLAST! Definitely something I plan to do when we have a little one. :) I’ve been “lurking” your blog for quite sometime and finally decided to say hello. :) Love your posts!

HEAB September 12, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Krista,
Hi. :)
Mommy & Me yoga is so much fun, and we’re now at the point where Summer is enjoying it as well. For the first few months, I got a lot more out of the class, but on Friday, Summer had a smile on her face the entire hour while crawling around the classroom and interacting with everyone. It made me happy to see her so happy. :)

Jennie (the gf-gf) September 12, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Your omelette looks so perfect! I have never mastered omelette-flipping, I always end up with scrambled eggs :-)

HEAB September 12, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Jennie,
I wrote an omelet tutorial a while back: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/recipes/omelet-tutorial/. Hope it helps, although there’s nothing wrong with scrambled eggs! :)

Ana September 12, 2011 at 1:14 pm

I also used a backpack as diaper bag with Matheus. It was much more style (I am not too fru fru!) and so much easier to carry. A lot of other mom’s would see it and say “what a good idea”! Haha, go figure!
Love your Kavu bag, I didn’t know about that brand and am browsing the website… already found a couple I am in love with! :-)
Oh, and definitely enjoy this stage of Summer’s development, it is truly amazing and fun to see them discover things, I loved that part and also when they start to walk and talk, so-much-fun just wait for that!!
Hugs!

Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine September 12, 2011 at 1:18 pm

I finally jumped on the Hunger Games bandwagon too. I agree—SO good! It’s weirdly fascinating. I’m ready to start book 2 and excited for the movie!

HEAB September 12, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Casey,
Me too. Just finished the first one last night, and I’m dying to start Catching Fire!!!

Katie September 12, 2011 at 2:10 pm

So glad to know crawling is a good thing! I’m excited about every change, so I’ll probably be fascinated with Adrienne’s explorations, too. Also – boo for the diaper bags – they’re such a hassle for me! I throw some diapers, wipes and an extra outfit in my large purse and call it a day. Babies don’t really NEED all that junk.

Candy @ Healthy in Candy Land September 12, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Hooray for the crawling stage! So much fun.
I always used a backpack too! Carrying a kiddo around was hard enough on my back–a backpack was much more comfy.
I’ve been thinking about getting a Kavu for some time now. Is yours the Kavu Keeper? Is the size okay for basic everyday stuff?

Erika - The Teenage Taste September 12, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Fun Fact: Both my brother and I never crawled. Instead we scooted on our butts everywhere until we could walk! ;-)

HEAB September 12, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Erika,
so funny both of you did the butt scoot! :)

Meghan @ StruggleMuffins September 12, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Yay for the return to yoga!

I love fancy shmancy bags, but I always go back to my tried and true backpack. It just gets the job done and you can’t argue with that. I don’t have a fashionable bone in my body but I CAN be functional – with a backpack of course. So I salute you and your bag selection haha :)

barb September 12, 2011 at 6:58 pm

My book club read The Hunger Games this summer, but I missed out because we were traveling. I might have to check out the library this weekend, although I’m a big football fan!

HEAB September 12, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Barb,
You should read them – so intriguing. However, good luck finding them at your library. I just tried to request books 2 & 3 in the series, and there are 20 to 30 people ahead of me for both. :(

kathleen @ the daily crumb September 12, 2011 at 8:36 pm

how exciting that summer is beginning to crawl! well, exciting and tiring for you :) i’m so excited it’s football season as well… go bears!

Annie September 13, 2011 at 7:32 am

Hunger Games!!! Awesome!! Read them all… and I remembered as well…

Caitlin @ Vegetarian in the City September 13, 2011 at 10:17 am

i just ordered the hunger games – really looking forward to diving in! i’ve heard such great things. hope you enjoy :)

Sarah R September 13, 2011 at 11:12 am

I think each new stage trumps the one before as my favorite. I think my husband would appreciate it if I ditched the girly diaper bag :)

Colleen September 15, 2011 at 4:43 pm

I am beyond ecstatic that you are interesting in The Hunger Games. The entire series is INCREDIBLE and I love it to death :)

{ 2 trackbacks }