HEABlet Bars

by HEAB on September 12, 2011

A couple of months ago, a good friend and fellow mom sent me the recipe for her chewy granola bars telling me that non-refrigerated, non-crumbly snacks are key. I get it now and made my own version today.

HEABletBars.psd

Because doesn’t every mom present their 10-month old with snacks tied in raffia ribbon?

First, my friend’s version, and my version below.  I am a recipe tweaker but wanted to include the original so that you could play around with it yourself. Enjoy!

HEABletBars2.psd

Summer loved them! I did too, but they weren’t very sweet. My friend’s original recipe called for 1/2 cup honey + 2 TBSP maple syrup instead of the fruit paste. So, you could go that route if you prefer something sweeter. I put a few of the bars in the fridge and wrapped up the rest to keep in the freezer. They’ll be great to take with us when we’re out and about. Many thanks to Leslie for the recipe!

Holly @ The Runny Egg September 12, 2011 at 9:34 pm

These sound good — I love the idea of fruit paste. The only thing holding me back is the coconut — I’ll have to figure out what to sub in its place.

HEAB September 12, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Holly, my friend actually used 1 cup bran flakes instead of the coconut. So, any type of cereal would probably work great. I want to experiment with some type of rice cereal and add some crunch! :)

katie @KatieDid September 12, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Interesting idea with the fruit paste as a sub. I bet dates would provide even a bit more sweetness than plums. I love that first shot of them too, so crisp and pretty!

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance September 12, 2011 at 9:51 pm

I can’t believe Summer is already big enough to be eating hard-ish foods! I remember when she was just born :)

HEAB September 13, 2011 at 7:35 am

Brittany,
I know – seems like just yesterday!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga September 12, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Those look so good! I love the fruit paste idea. I love soaked dates. They are like nature’s glue + sugar in vegan baking. And love the subbing in with pumpkin. Tis the season for Pumpkin Mania Hits the Blogosphere, circa 2011 :)

And the roasted quinoa that you then blend. Forgot about that trick. I am lazy and just do that with oats. Don’t need to toast or roast those :)

Kristina @ spabettie September 12, 2011 at 10:03 pm

the main reason I want to make this EXACT recipe? so I can call them HEABlet Bars. :D

these sound so good, and the photos are beautiful too!

Alison September 12, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Homemade baby food is simply the best! We used to stir in a little black strap molasses into oatmeal for the girls for some extra iron (I could never get away with that now – I wish I would have stuck with it!) but that could probably work well here. I love squeezing in extra nutrients whenever I can… it was admittedly easier when they were smaller!

HEAB September 13, 2011 at 7:36 am

Alison,
That’s a good idea – thank you!

Hannah September 12, 2011 at 10:32 pm

*giggles* I’ve never been able to take the rebranding of prunes as dried plums seriously! *giggles* But laughter aside, these looks scrumptious. Hurrah for butter!!

HEAB September 13, 2011 at 7:36 am

Hannah,
I know, I feel kind of silly saying “dried plums” myself. :)

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco September 13, 2011 at 12:09 am

Yum. Just, yum.

Health Bee September 13, 2011 at 12:56 am

Hi Heather,

This is a great recipe! Thanks for sharing. Have you considered also using almond meal? I like using Trader Joe’s raw almond meal (as a flour substitute) in my cookie recipe.

HEAB September 13, 2011 at 7:38 am

Health Bee,
I have, but we’re not giving Summer almonds quite yet. Holding off on the nuts for a little while but will probably try soon. She does great with seeds – loves her sunflower seed butter and flax seeds! :)

Samantha September 13, 2011 at 1:42 am

We’ll be trying these as soon as I can find unsweet coconut! Anytime I ask for lite coconut milk they look at me like I have a 3rd eye and bring me coconut cream.

The boys aren’t allowed anything ‘granola bar like’ for snack, teacher says its too messy. But they’ll be perfect for around the house and weekends.

HEAB September 13, 2011 at 7:39 am

Sam,
These bars are great – chewy and non crumbly, especially when kept in fridge. Perhaps they’d get the teacher stamp of approval? :)

Erica September 13, 2011 at 5:49 am

Love! Want to try them! If i dont have quinoa flour-what would be the best sub out of whole wheat, ap, coconut or chickpea flour?

HEAB September 13, 2011 at 7:41 am

Erica,
These are great. My friend used all purpose flour in her version, and so yes, whole wheat should work fine. Hope you like them. Kalyn will eating them before you know it! :)

Fallon September 13, 2011 at 6:58 am

I love thick granola bars like that!! Do you have to use quinoa flour or could you sub any type of flour? I’m in the process of moving and have spelt and barley flour available!

HEAB September 13, 2011 at 9:31 am

Hi Fallon,
Yes, my friend’s original recipe called for 1 cup all purpose flour, and so you can sub whatever you’d like for it. I find quinoa flour works really well in place of all purpose or whole wheat flour.

Stephanie @ extremebalance.net/blog September 13, 2011 at 7:04 am

I LOVE food on the go recipes… and non-squishy oatmeal. With its no-sugar-added allure, this feels like a winner. Except that it needs dark chocolate. Everything needs dark chocolate. :D

HEAB September 13, 2011 at 9:40 am

Stephanie,
I agree, but no chocolate for Summer quite yet. Soon…very soon. :)

Stephanie September 13, 2011 at 9:49 am

What are reasons *not* to give babies chocolate? I always thought this had to do with milk chocolate and giving them WAY too much sugar too soon—is this a “potential allergen” thing?

HEAB September 13, 2011 at 9:54 am

Stephanie,
Yeah, they say to wait until the baby is a year old. Allergies to chocolate aren’t that common but they are possible. However, I think most of the problems can be attributed to other ingredients in the chocolate parents give their kids – peanuts, soy, dairy, etc. I did read the darker the chocolate the better, and so we’ll probably let her try some of CD’s Lindt 85% stash soon. :)

Stephanie @ extremebalance.net/blog September 13, 2011 at 8:41 pm

(if you really love her, you’ll give her the 90%. FAR superior. FAR.) ;)

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free September 13, 2011 at 7:58 am

YUM! These look so versatile, too! I bet the pumpkin would be fabulous wit some spices. A Pumpkin Pie Bar. Or even subbing nutbutter for the fruit puree…peanut butter bar. Or some bananas? Oh Gosh I need to go experiment!

HEAB September 13, 2011 at 9:36 am

Alex,
I look forward to reading about your experiments. :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) September 13, 2011 at 8:01 am

These sound perfect! I bet figs would be so good in this one!

Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews September 13, 2011 at 8:20 am

That’s awesome that Summer loved them too! They look great.

Anna @ On Anna's Plate September 13, 2011 at 8:36 am

Yum! Love the presentation :-)

Jen September 13, 2011 at 9:41 am

Summer is going to grow up eating the best snacks! Nothing beats quality homemade food. I want some!

Maggie @ Say Yes to Salad September 13, 2011 at 10:18 am

Yum!

I think I’ve said this before, but my mom used to feed me cooked oat bran that she would puree with raisins. Apparently I loved it as a child. I should make this again. Haven’t had oats/oat bran in ages.

Jennie (the gf-gf) September 13, 2011 at 10:52 am

Summer is so lucky – no Quaker chewy bars for that girl!

I love the idea of pumpkin (with loads of cinnamon, of course) for a fall treat. Did you soak your oat when you made these?

HEAB September 13, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Jennie,
Nope, no oat soaking for this recipe.

Ameena September 13, 2011 at 10:55 am

Anything with a stick of butter is sure to be a hit in my house! Love this recipe. And yes, I too give my daughter a snack with a raffia ribbon! :)

Actually…she’s lucky if she gets a plate…

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats September 13, 2011 at 11:52 am

They look delicious! If a baby loves them, then you know a grad student will! haha

Trainer Kjirsten @ Balanced Healthy Life September 13, 2011 at 1:22 pm

I loved the name you picked out for the bars! They aslo look really tasty and healthy for your little one! I love all the different variations you can do as well with the bars!

Natalie September 13, 2011 at 3:04 pm

They look great! she is going to love a bar named after her.

caroline September 13, 2011 at 3:43 pm

ohh im so glad this recipe came up, as i have been meaning to make granola bars for my gluten free brother, who is always hungry! I am going to make these for him and surprise him when he gets home from school! I might have to add cherries and chocolate chips though because those are his favorite flavors :)

Katie September 13, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Mmm they look great! I’ll just try them out for a few months until Adrienne is old enough to share with me. ;-)

Erika - The Teenage Taste September 13, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Oooh, these look delicious! And I love how the ingredients are all natural and wholesome. It kills me when I see people feeding their babies that overly processed junk!

michelle September 13, 2011 at 9:05 pm

These look great! I can’t wait to try these for my my girls school lunches.

Cherie September 13, 2011 at 9:22 pm

These look so good! I can’t wait to make these and a few variations…like kabocha….yumm!! Summer is a very lucky little girl.

Alisa September 13, 2011 at 11:32 pm

Love these Heather! So adorable and no sugar!!

You know, I literally NEVER crave dairy, but darn you for always making butter sound good :)

Katie September 15, 2011 at 9:11 am

I’m making the Harvest Bread right now! Thanks to you and Jill for sharing the recipe :-)

Hope you’re having a great day!

Michelle @ Turning Over a New Leaf September 20, 2011 at 6:04 pm

Ooh! Those look really good! And the idea of using pumpkin sounds fantastic!

{ 2 trackbacks }