Love It or Hate It

by HEAB on September 18, 2011

And by it, I mean Marmite.

MarmiteToastWithEggs.psd

Marmite: A yeast extract spread, Marmite is not only renowned for its errr, distinctive flavor, but it’s also a good source of B vitamins, completely vegetarian, is a low fat food and is very low in sugar.

Lindsay has been trying to get me to try Marmite for months, and reader Lou thought I might like it as well since I’m a huge fan of brewer’s yeast. Lindsay, Lou, thank you for persuading me. I’m an official Marmite convert.

What does Marmite taste like? Well, the particular brand I bought is a syrupy spread which surprised me because I expected a paste. The website recommends starting out with just a tee-tiny bit, roughly the amount to cover the tip of a knife. My first taste was straight from the jar…hello salt! This stuff is high in sodium, but a little goes a long way. So, I loaded up two pieces of toast with Kerrygold butter, a smear of Marmite, and ate my toast alongside a serving of Sarena style scrambled eggs with a dollop of sour cream. Talk about savory heaven – I ♥ salt. The Marmite tasted bitter but paired really well with the butter, and I couldn’t wait to try it again…

MarmiteChickenToast.psd

Toast + butter + Marmite + baked chicken breast.

Yep, I love Marmite. I’m not really sure what the difference between Marmite and Vegemite is. According to information I found online, Vegemite is the brand name of yeast extract spread in Australia, and the Brits refer to their more syrup-like version as Marmite. However, reader Lou tells me that the Marmite in New Zealand contains sugar is and is sweeter. I purchased the British version (no sugar) online from Amazon, but I’ve also seen it at my local grocery store. Per 4 gram serving, Marmite contains 50% of our recommended daily allowance for folate and 60% of our B12 requirements.

Have you tried Marmite or Vegemite. Lover or hater? If a lover, what’s your favorite way to eat it?

Got through this whole post and never once mentioned Men At Work…well almost. ;)

Erika - The Teenage Taste September 18, 2011 at 9:53 am

Never heard of Marmite before, but it sounds…interesting. ;-)

Jennie (the gf-gf) September 18, 2011 at 10:01 am

I’ll take your word for it … Not sure I’m brave enough to try a yeast spread!

Are you still eating the food for life brown rice bread? Does it taste anything like their brown rice tortillas?

HEAB September 18, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Jennie,
I love the brown rice bread, but the toast pictured in this post is Trader Joe’s sprouted grain bread. The brown rice bread has more flavor than the brown rice tortillas as it’s sweetened with a bit of fruit juice.

Jen September 18, 2011 at 10:10 am

I’ve never tried Marmite, but if I had to guess, I think I’d be a lover. I’m a salt queen. I add sea salt to almost everything. I like to sprinkle it over buttered toast, but with Marmite’s health benefits…I should go buy some! I had heard of Marmite, but I never really knew what it was until reading your post!

HEAB September 18, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Jen,
I just had more buttered toast with Marmite – yes, I think you would love it!

The Healthy Hipster September 18, 2011 at 10:10 am

I am a HUGE fan also. Like salty, spreadable nooch! I especially like mixing it with sweet bartlett pears. Sounds crazy, tastes delicious. :)

HEAB September 18, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Healthy Hipster, I don’t think that pears + Marmite sounds crazy at all. Love a good salty/sweet combo.

Renée September 18, 2011 at 10:20 am

I’m pretty sure Marmite may flat out be my favourite food. Can condiments count as favourite foods? Ah well..
Vegemite’s alright, but I’m not as big of a fan. The differences are subtle, but I find Marmite to be a more pronounced flavour and thinner consistency. Vegemite’s more of a spread than a syrup.

HEAB September 18, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Renee,
Yes, condiments can count as a favorite food – and I’m right there with you. Loving Marmite and want to eat it on any and everything!

Aine @ Something to Chew Over September 18, 2011 at 10:27 am

Wow I never thought you could get Marmite in the US or that Americans would eat it! Vegemite is a bit sweeter but I’ve only had it a couple of times because it’s not available in Ireland.

I like it on toast!

HEAB September 18, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Aine,
You can and we do…at least I do. :)

Carolyn September 18, 2011 at 10:28 am

My hubby is from New Zealand and grew up on Marmite. It took my a while to like it…my daughter LOVES it! My favorite way is to spread some on toast with lots of avocado on top – super delish!

HEAB September 18, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Carolyn,
I bet it is good with avocado. Must try that soon!

caroline September 18, 2011 at 10:35 am

i have always wanted to try nutritional yeast, but am allergic to yeast/mold and cannot even eat any sugar because of it. I am hoping someday after healing my allergies to try it. do you know of any people who have yeast allergies and have to stay away from all yeast, and sugar.. if so what are their alternatives to flavor?

HEAB September 18, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Caroline,
I’m so sorry about your allergy, and I can’t think of an alternative to Marmite that doesn’t contain yeast or sugar. However, there are always nut butters. :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) September 18, 2011 at 10:37 am

I’ve wondered about Marmite. I LOVE salt too, so now I’m more intrigued! I saw it at World Market and considered getting it after I saw Lindsay talking about it, but I was afraid. I trust you two, so now I need to go back and get some! Nice eats!

HEAB September 18, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Sarena,
I think you would love it – it’s like spreadable brewer’s yeast or nutritional yeast. Thanks for the adding water to eggs tip – really does make a difference!

Pure2raw Twins September 18, 2011 at 10:43 am

Never heard of Marmite, it sounds very interesting. I will have to keep my eye open for it to give it a try sometime. I bet it would taste great on socca :) haha

xoxo
~Lori

HEAB September 18, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Lori,
Not much DOESN’T taste good on socca. ;)

Jaapna September 18, 2011 at 10:54 am

I’ve grown up on Marmite! My parents and grandparents tell me that I used to lick it off their toast as a toddler. It was love at first lick for me! :)

HEAB September 18, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Jaapna,
Haha – me too! Love that stuff. :)

kathleen @ the daily crumb September 18, 2011 at 11:10 am

never tried marmite before, but i do love me some salt, so i might just have to give it a go :)

happy sunday, heather! hope you’re cheering for the bears :)

HEAB September 18, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Kathleen,
Always! :)

Shelby September 18, 2011 at 11:12 am

Marmite is something I’ve always wanted to try, but have always been afraid of haha!

I’ll take your word for it and keep an eye out for some.

HEAB September 18, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Shelby, hope you find some soon – great source for vitamin B12!

katie @KatieDid September 18, 2011 at 11:16 am

Can’t say I’ve even heard of it! I’m really curious if I’d like the taste now. I LOVE salty foods. I can do without sweets but don’t take away my tortilla chips please.

HEAB September 18, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Katie,
I hear ya. I think you would Marmite!

The Delicate Place September 18, 2011 at 11:33 am

oh gawd. i tried marmite for the first time in new zealand 2007 and nearly barfed. i cannot even place the taste, it was sweet and savory at the same time really odd. i can’t do it heather, i just cannot! haha ;p give my a nice thick preserve any day and i’ll slather it on something with a nut butter but yeast stay away!

HEAB September 18, 2011 at 1:24 pm

DP,
That surprises me as I know you’re an adventurous foodie, but yeah, I know Marmite is not for everyone. As long as you like nut butters we can be friends. ;)

Heather September 18, 2011 at 11:44 am

I must admit I laughed when I saw this post… only because my roommates make fun fo me for eating Marmite (they think it is really gross). I grew up eating Bovril but stopped when I became vegetarian. But back when there was that mad cow outbreak, England couldn’t export the beef extract kind so they made a vegetarian kind that was a yeast extract. I don’t know where to find the vegetarian Bovril anymore so I decided that Marmite would do. <3 I love the Marmite and havign it with toast and Earth Balance is definitely the best!

HEAB September 18, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Heather,
At least you know your roommates won’t be stealing any of your Marmite. ;)

glidingcalm September 18, 2011 at 11:46 am

how interesting!!! I havent tried either….

i love salty + butter…. actually anything + butter, so this sounds pretty good.

P.S. WHAT A GORGEOUS PICTURE!

HEAB September 18, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Thanks GC, and I think you would love Marmite!

Evan Thomas September 18, 2011 at 11:57 am

I thought marmite had gluten in it for some reason; maybe that’s vegemite? I remember finding something like that on shelves and being disappointed that it had barley malt in it. I’ll have to try and find an unsweetened version so that I can try it, or one sweetened with just cane sugar. I typically love tangy/salty foods like miso and whatnot.

HEAB September 18, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Evan,
Yeah, if you’re a salt fan, I think you would love Marmite. The brand I bought contains zero sugar and no barley malt, and I’ve seen it in stores around Nashville. So, I’m pretty sure you can find it.

Emily September 18, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Love marmite!

Susan September 18, 2011 at 12:04 pm

I am so curious about Marmite! I blame Lindsay for the 15 seconds I spend staring at it on the shelf at the grocery store every time I go. I appreciate your “review” since I think we have similar tastes. I love me some savory flavors as well and B vitamins are never a bad thing, eh?

lindsay September 18, 2011 at 12:37 pm

LOL! blame away! and trust me, it does have an “interesting” taste and a little goes a LOOOOONG way.

HEAB September 18, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Susan,
Haha – I did the same thing. Put in my shopping cart several times and then finally added to an Amazon order after Lindsay and one of my readers kept raving about it. So glad I did – I love it!

Kristina @ spabettie September 19, 2011 at 10:28 pm

I LOVE this – I always think of Lindsay when I see it at the store… and several times I’ve picked it up and/or placed it in the basket. :D

next time!

Ann September 18, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Yes, I have tried Vegemite. It smells and tastes like something that would be used to pave roads. Never again!

lindsay September 18, 2011 at 12:36 pm

yep, the new zealand kind is sweeter. and in a few months, I get have all the access to it! I will have to send you some.

You know, you just made my kiwi husband very happy with this post. A marmite convert!!
p.s.
Next try it wtih sliced tomato, kerry gold, and toast.
:P

HEAB September 18, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Lindsay,
OK, will do. Thanks so much for all your convincing – should have listened to you months ago! :)

Kara Hill September 18, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Hi Heather,

I stumbled upon your fabulous blog and I love your recipes. I’m not sure if you remember me, but our husbands were roomates in college and I think we met once years ago. I had to laugh at your marmite post. Garick is South African and eats it all the time. He has (unsuccessfully) been trying to get me to eat it for years. Congratulations on the beautiful baby girl, by the way.

HEAB September 18, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Hi Kara,
Yes! We met at Kevin and Camille’s house before Chris and I were married. So funny that you found my blog and thanks so much for reading. Chris keeps me updated on you guys through Facebook – your son is so cute. Hope all is well, and hopefully our paths will cross again someday. :)

Lorne September 18, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Oh my, I can offer my services as your marmite/vegemite consultant any time….

There is a big difference between brit marmite that you are lovin and NZ stuff – both great, just different. Here in NZ, you belong to either team Marmite or team Vegemite – you just can’t be in both, it does doesn’t work like that…. the universe may tilt if you try such a radical move!

Every kid in NZ grows up on one of those. It is as staple as water and oxygen.

I was a marmite fan but shhhhhh I switched when I realised it contained sugar and vegemite doesn’t. On a rainy cold day, nothing beats some warm buttery toast with a smearing of the dark stuff :0)

Happy spreading :0)

HEAB September 18, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Lorne,
Haha – yes, I read it’s like a Pepsi/Coke thing. You either love one or the other but can’t pledge allegiance to both! ;)

Thanks for the input. Hugs to you and Minu!

nadia September 18, 2011 at 1:26 pm

always loved vegemite the most – much better you must find it! also – this is so weird but in sri lanka people would drink it! in hot water (nasty)! could never get used that… liquid b 12/saltwater!

HEAB September 18, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Nadia,
I cannot find vegemite anywhere around here, but loving this Marmite stuff…although the thought of drinking it in hot water kind of makes me want to gag. I’ll take my B12 in solid form, thank you. ;)

Savannah September 18, 2011 at 5:28 pm

We used to have Marmite or Bovril (beefy version) dissolved in hot water between events at swim meets. Kept you going without putting a ton of food in your stomach before swimming. It dissolves completely and gives you a tasty broth.

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free September 18, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Ummmm….never heard of marmite, and….vegamite grosses me out. Too salty, and just, well, gross. Sorry, but I think I might have to pass this one!

HEAB September 18, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Alex,
I’ll forgive you – we will always share our love of Bakers. ;)

Susan September 18, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Lover!!! Strange you can’t buy it there, it’s on the grocery store shelves in Canada! I like it best on Irish-style soda bread or biscuits :)

Ashley September 18, 2011 at 3:07 pm

I am totally addicted to Marmite! My British friend had me try it ten years ago and I thought it was the most vile thing I had ever tasted. Then the next day I wanted to try it again. Go figure. My favorite way to eat it is on toasted rye with butter and a side of eggs over easy. Heaven!

HEAB September 18, 2011 at 6:09 pm

Ashley,
From what I’ve read, that seems to be pretty common. At first, people think it’s just okay or don’t like it all, but all of a sudden they want more and can’t stop. I find myself adding more and more to my toast each time I eat it. So good!

Eleanor@eatinglikeahorse September 18, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Haha, I know you’re supposed to love or hate it… but I sort of quite like it but can live without it, just to be awkward :-)
And I can’t think of Vegemite without also thinking of that song either…!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga September 18, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Marmite or Vegemite…not for me!

The smell, the SODIUM (I just don’t tolerate sodium well), the consistency…just not for me.

Just means more for you :)

Glad you like it and hope you and the fam are having a great day!

Stacey (My Sweet Eats) September 18, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Haha – I love Marmite, but then I’m British so I’ve grown up wit it. I’m glad you like it!

Katheryn September 18, 2011 at 3:49 pm

I lived in New Zealand for 6 years so tried both varieties. Can’t stand either of them! Definitely not for me.

Cilla September 18, 2011 at 4:00 pm

I grew up in South Africa with that Marmite – it’s amazing with some sharp vintage cheddar <3

Now that I live in New Zealand, I've tried the NZ version of Marmite and it's different but also yummy :) My husband likes NZ Vegemite (also good).

HEAB September 18, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Cilla,
Picking up some cheddar tomorrow as several others have mentioned that combo as well. :)

Victoria September 18, 2011 at 4:22 pm

nooooo! Not marmite. I am most definitely team Vegemite :) Growing up in Australia it is just one of those things that is a part of life. I think I ate vegemite on toast for the first 14 years of my life! Marmite is the enemy ;)
If you want to taste Vegemite, I’d be more than happy to send you some. Just flick me an email.

HEAB September 18, 2011 at 6:05 pm

Victoria,
Wow, the Vegemite fans are all about spreading the love. Thanks for the offer, but another reader is already sending me some. I’ll be sure to post my taste test – can’t wait to compare the two!

Victoria September 18, 2011 at 8:42 pm

So glad to hear others want to spread the Vegemite love! Will look out for your post on the comparison :)

kristy @ ksayerphotography September 18, 2011 at 4:34 pm

I don’t like Marmite at all, but I loveeeeee Vegemite – but maybe that’s just because I’m Australian. I even have my American boyfriend addicted to it!

My latest Vegemite love is actually Vegemite Spaghetti, but I bet it’d work with marmite too. (here’s a recipe for it: http://www.notquitenigella.com/2011/03/15/meeting-nigella-lawson-vegemite-spaghetti/) The key is topping it with lotssss of cheese. It sounds horrible, but it’s delicious!

HEAB September 18, 2011 at 5:55 pm

Thanks Kristy, Just pinned the recipe. So simple. Thanks for sharing – I don’t think it sounds horrible at all!

Katie September 18, 2011 at 4:35 pm

My sister studied in Austrailia in college and brought home Vegemite. Its still in my parents pantry and my sister is now 31. Something tells me it probably isn’t good after a decade. Although, if it has all that sodium in it….

HEAB September 18, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Katie,
Yeah, I think it’s definitely time to clean out the parents’ pantry. If it makes you feel any better, my dad sold the house we grew up in about 8 years ago and put everything in storage. My brother and sis-in-law were helping him clean out his storage unit last year (NOT a climate controlled one by the way), and found our old sugar and flour containers…still filled. It wasn’t pretty.

Lou September 18, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Yay! Yay for salty buttery goodness. Seriously though, I HAVE to send you some vegemite from Aussie (email me your details and I’ll post some!) I haven’t tried the british type like that, our version is more of a paste. I’m sure it tastes similar though… try it with avacado too it’s delish x

Savannah September 18, 2011 at 5:25 pm

LOVE Marmite! Try is in a grilled cheese sandwich–heaven! My usual is a toasted gluten-free bagel with two slices of rice cheese and a smear of Marmite.

Savannah September 18, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Forgot to add that you definitely want to butter the toast or bagel first, so the Marmite spreads further.

HEAB September 18, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Savannah,
OK, will totally try that…with butter. :)

Ricki September 18, 2011 at 5:57 pm

I have a jar of Marmite waiting for me to try it–except now I probably never will. I bought it days before I found out about my candida and had to cut out ALL yeast in everything. . . which of course means no Marmite. Boo hoo. I think I’m holding on to it with the hopes that one day I’ll be able to do the yeast again. . . of course, by then, I’ll have to buy a new jar!

Japple September 18, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Anyone who likes soy sauce will lurrrve Vegemite – no one ever makes this taste comparison, but I think it’s an obvious one. Also, I think it’s milder than Marmite, but then, I’m Australian.

Hannah September 18, 2011 at 6:18 pm

This is really, really hard for me. Really, really hard for me. Marmite can have no place in my world, and I’ve often cast friends aside for choosing it over vegemite (not really). At least you’re doing it the right way – toast, lots of butter, smear of VEGEMITE. (Sorry, I can’t advocate for Marmite :P )

You’ve even cottoned onto the dish I make for my mum, with is buttered vegemite toast topped directly with scrambled eggs! It’s also great as “Tiger Toast”, where you put cheese on top of vegemite toast and grill it.

At the moment, I’m also slightly addicted to eating cold tofu mashed together with vegemite and dijonaisse. Don’t judge. :P

HEAB September 18, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Hannah,
You still love me right? No worries my friend, someone has come to my rescue and is sending me a jar of Vegemite, and I’ll be sure to make Tiger Toast with it! No judgement from me, but I think I’m going to skip your tofu combo. ;)

Hannah September 18, 2011 at 7:50 pm

I will always love you. (And yes, I’m singing the Moulin Rouge song in my head right now.) Thank heavens; I was about to offer to send you some myself. I’m interested though, because you talk of finding a sugar-free Marmite, whereas everyone I know who’s tried it has talked of Marmite’s sweetness. So I’m really looking forward to hearing what the difference is for you!

Mmmm Tiger Toast. And yes, skip the tofu. If it weren’t an absolute impossibility, I’d be scared that creation was indicative of being pregnant :P

Amanda September 18, 2011 at 6:22 pm

I made (crockpot) chili this weekend and put a glob of Marmite in at the beginning. Soo good!

HEAB September 18, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Amanda,
Duly noted. Thanks for the idea! :)

Christin@purplebirdblog September 18, 2011 at 7:03 pm

I intensely love me some Marmite… always have a jar around! Salty, yeasty perfection! I swear we have twinsie palates. :)

HEAB September 18, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Christin,
I knew that ages ago…probably from your first week of posting. :)

HEAB September 18, 2011 at 7:39 pm

P.S. That we have twinsie palates, not that you always have Marmite on hand. ;)

michelle September 18, 2011 at 7:49 pm

I’ve lived in Australia for the past 3 years and recently just came back home to Canada. We grew (slowly) to love vegemite as it’s used there like we use peanut butter. All of the kids have butter and vegemite toast in the morning and often a sandwich for lunch. I brought a 1 kilo container of it home with us and my husbands favourite meal is rye bread toasted and slathered thick with vegemite, then sliced tomatoes, havarti and a poached egg.

Try it on ryvitas with sliced avocado and grated carrots. Delish!

clare September 18, 2011 at 9:45 pm

I’ve seen the marm and the veg, but never tried. The “yeast” thing made me wonder if it was gluten-free or not. Anyone know?

HEAB September 19, 2011 at 9:37 am

Clare,
Yes, the Marmite pictured above is gluten free, and the following is from the company’s website:

Marmite contains none of the major allergens. Some people might have a reaction to celery extract, a minor component of the spice extract that is listed in the ingredients.

clare September 20, 2011 at 8:43 am

Thanks Heather! I read up on the wiki…I’m a little leery that this stuff is basically MSG?? I mean, if someone is leery about that, heh.

lena September 18, 2011 at 9:47 pm

i love marmite and vegemite… but marmite’s less salty of the 2. grew up with marmite… love them on toast and in porridge :)

Georgia September 18, 2011 at 11:49 pm

Any Aussie knows that they could have their citizenship/right to vote revoked if they actively express a dislike for Vegemite! As such, down with Marmite!!
I must confess that , being the patriot I am, Vegemite is my yeast spread of choice…great for you and delicious! Here’s a link to one of our earlier Vegemite commercials – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yA98MujNeM – I’m certainly a happy little Vegemite!

HEAB September 19, 2011 at 9:44 am

Georgia,
Haha – hilarious. Hopefully, I’ll be a happy little Vegemite soon as a friend is sending me a jar. :)

Lucinda September 19, 2011 at 12:47 am

Vegemite, NZ Marmite, and the other Marmite are all different. But then I’m Australian, so i know this. It’s like an ongoing cultural argument between aussies, kiwis and the brits.

Vegemite is the best. But in saying that I’m housesitting at the moment, and my friends have kiwi marmite, it’s okay, just.

I’m moving to Toronto in November for two years, and yes – I’m packing vegemite!

Anna September 19, 2011 at 1:53 am

Hey Heather! I’m currently living in New Zealand and, yes, Marmite and Vegemite is HUGE here! It is a staple of their diet, but as I understand it, they only use a tiny amount at a time. I tried Vegemite and thought it was gross!

If I can remember, I’ll check out the nutrition info on the popular brand next time I hit the supermarket.

Cheers!

Kari @ bite-sized thoughts September 19, 2011 at 5:18 am

I like Vegemite, Marmite and Promite :) But then, I’m Australian with English heritage, so I’m probably primed for them! Promite is milder, so I usually recommend it as a starting product if people have tried none.

MizFit September 19, 2011 at 5:44 am

annnnd wanna try it.

Alexia @ NamasteYoga September 19, 2011 at 5:55 am

I have been having this LOVE/HATE conversation about Marmite a lot with my friends recently. I actually used to hate it too but somehow my taste buds must have changed because I love it now! i just got introduced to the peanut butter and marmite combo and although i was a bit sceptical I do like it! Its crazy what all kind of things people mix with marmite!

HEAB September 19, 2011 at 9:46 am

Alexia,
That seems to be pretty common – people start out hating Marmite but then become obsessed with it, and I bet it’s excellent with PB…but then what isn’t? ;)

Casey Lorraine September 19, 2011 at 7:05 am

Hahaha that song is our unofficial anthem over here! Every country I’ve travelled to, no matter where, when that song comes on anywhere a bunch of Aussies come our from the shadows and start dancing badly, albeit with good intentions. I am one of them :) .

Thanks for the nostalgia :)

HEAB September 19, 2011 at 9:48 am

Casey,
Ha – I figured every Aussie was probably so over that song by now, but good to know it brings you all together. :)

windycityvegan September 19, 2011 at 8:55 am

I’m a Marmite lover. I like it spread on rice cakes or crackers, topped with avocado. I’ve also caught myself eating it straight from the jar with an itty bitty spoon a couple of times. And I sometimes melt it into hot sticky rice and top with sauteed tofu and greens.

HEAB September 19, 2011 at 9:47 am

WindyCityVegan,
Yes, several others have mentioned trying it with avocado, and I bet it’s great atop rice. So many Marmite recipes to try now! :)

Kat @ Big Apple Little Kitchen September 19, 2011 at 9:42 am

Oh god. I tried Marmite once thinking it was a sweet spread….and almost hurled. It still gives me shivers.

Alyssa September 19, 2011 at 11:09 am

I tried Marmite when I was about 10. Probably should try it again before I judge, as it’s been 32 (gasp!!!!!) years.

Michaela September 19, 2011 at 11:21 am

I absolutely adore all things salty, but I hardly ever eat Marmite, although when I eat it, I utterly enjoy it :) I was living in Ireland for a while and people were obsessed.

Ned September 19, 2011 at 11:52 am

As an Australian, it’s Vegemite ALL THE WAY!

Sierra @ Posh Meets Pavement September 19, 2011 at 11:59 am

My husband is South African, so he is a big fan. I suck it up and endure the terrible smell to make Marmite toast for him.

I have only had it once after a terrible food poisoning incident and it was a desperate situation. I will say Marmite on burnt toast is a great cure for an upset stomach. Just don’t smell it.

Caitlin @ Vegetarian in the City September 19, 2011 at 3:31 pm

I tried Vegemite in Australia last year when I visited. The folks there were raised on this stuff and absolutely adore it (to the point where they defend it jokingly as part of their heritage haha).

Personally, I could not handle it. Definitely not for me! Good for you for being brave and trying marmite!

Emmy (Wine and Butter) September 19, 2011 at 3:57 pm

I LOVE THAT YOU ARE EATING MARMITE!!!!!!
but what the heck do you mean whats the difference bween marmite and vegemite – are you crazy?!? Have you never had vegemite!?! Do you not just feel the marmite superiority???? Youre from the south right… thats like me saying whats the difference between Dolly Parton and, um, Taylor Swift. You do not say stuff like that when British people read your blog!
Anyways, since you are now on the bandwagon you know what you HAVE to try… marmite, banana and peanut butter sandwiches – ideally on sprouted wheat bread. So crazy sounding but SO good – that sweet salty combo is amazing. I practially LIVE on then sometimes!! xoxo

HEAB September 19, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Emmy,
Please forgive me. Oh my goodness – I had no idea how passionate people are regarding Team Marmite vs Team Vegemite. Up until this weekend, I had never tried either. Loving the Marmite so very much, and of course I will try it with banana and PB. I think that sounds divine…and I hate to tell you this, but a reader from Team Vegemite is sending me a jar. You’ll still love me if I like it, right? ;)

Bid September 19, 2011 at 7:26 pm

marmite marmite marmite.. can’t stop saying it… NOT eating it.. ;-)

Annabananabomb September 20, 2011 at 4:51 am

Aussie here, love vegemite. Love. I have it with a little butter on toast with a drizzle of honey on top – sweet and sour – winning!

Liz @ IHeartVegetables September 20, 2011 at 9:37 am

I’ve never tried it but it sounds interesting!

Mali @ The Korsten Chronicle September 20, 2011 at 9:57 am

I LOVE marmite, but I love Bovril even more (pretty much the same thing, but made with beef stock – don’t know if you get it in the States?)

HEAB September 20, 2011 at 10:19 am

Mali,
No, I’ve never seen Bovril, but that doesn’t mean it’s not available here. I’ll be on the lookout as another commenter mentioned that she used to love it before going vegetarian.

Ameena September 20, 2011 at 10:59 am

I’ve heard of it…first from Men at Work of course. But then from an Aussie that I used to work with. I have yet to try it!

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers September 20, 2011 at 12:59 pm

I haven’t tried it, but I haven’t heard good things. I’m a human garbage disposal though – I’ll eat anything.

Amanda @ AmandaRunsNY September 20, 2011 at 1:10 pm

This is the first time I’ve ever heard of this. How does this compare to nutritional yeast which I love?

HEAB September 20, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Amanda,
It’s like salty nutritional yeast syrup. You might very well love it. :)

Amanda @ AmandaRunsNY September 20, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Thanks!

steph - vegfortworth September 20, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Just tried Marmite last night! I love it! Salty, yeasty goodness!

Marmite girl September 20, 2011 at 1:55 pm

I LOVE MARMITE and I have since childhood and I am proud of it! ;)

My mother is from England, so I grew up on it and didn’t know it was foul to others until I tried to convince my friends to taste it. Most of my friends do not like it, but I was able to convert one or two of them.

I am beyond thrilled that you love Marmite! It is the best with butter, and so great with peanut butter, or straight out of the jar!!!! :) :)

Tracy @ Commit to Fit September 20, 2011 at 7:38 pm

I have tried vegemite and thought it was the worst thing I have ever tasted ;) Does Marmite taste the same? Perhaps it is an acquired taste :)

HEAB September 20, 2011 at 8:24 pm

Tracy,
Yeah, I’ve heard you either love it or you hate it, but it also seems you “love” it after you acquire a taste for it. Many people told me that although they didn’t like Marmite at first, it grew on them, and then they became obsessed. I haven’t tried Vegemite, but I have a friend sending me some, and so I’m not sure how similar in taste the two are, but people seem to be very pro-Vegemite or pro-Marmite but never both. Iit’s like a Coke/Pepsi thing. ;)

HEAB September 20, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Tracy,
Please forgive my run-on sentences. Apparently, my excitement over Marmite causes me to be heavy handed with the commas. ;)

Lindsay September 28, 2011 at 3:01 pm

I LOVE marmite. I grew up on the spread. My parents would always make me toast for breakfast with butter and marmite spread on top. Also whenever my brother comes home from England he brings tons of containers of marmite! :D

Sarah September 29, 2011 at 4:17 pm

New to your blog. So nice to see a non-Brit advocating marmite! Its a real comfort food for me, having grown up on marmite on toast as kid. Just opening the jar makes me salivate…

Definitely on toast is my favourite, preferably the crust, lots of marg melting in and marmite on top.

{ 3 trackbacks }