A Trip Across The Pond

by HEAB on September 20, 2011

Chucks and I have joined Team Marmite this week. Marmite = my new favorite condiment, and I’d like to thank the UK for making it.

ChucksTraversingTheUK.psd

First up, I ate the best grilled cheese ever, aka A Mousetrap as reader Lou likes to call it…

MarmiteMousetrap.psd

Toast + butter + marmite + sharp cheddar, broiled until cheese melts.

MarmiteTahiniStirFry.psd

Last night’s dinner: Beef & veggie stir-fry topped with tahini and a drizzle of Marmite. Yum.

MarmiteOatBran.psd
A snack: Oat bran topped with chunky almond butter and Marmite. Salty, yet slightly sweet, and definitely worth a repeat.

To all Team Vegemite members, don’t give up on me just yet. I have a friend sending me a jar from Australia, and my allegiance will not be fully pledged until I have tried both Marmite and Vegemite. Stay tuned, and until then…

UnionJackChuckTaylors.psd

B n B September 20, 2011 at 8:28 pm

What’s in Marmite?

Savannah @ Sweet and Savvy September 20, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Marmite sounds really interesting!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) September 20, 2011 at 8:47 pm

I have got to get my hands on this stuff!

Lou September 20, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Love it! ESPECIALLY that oat bran/almond butter combo, oh my goodness gracious me, I’m so going to have to try that one (teaching an old marmite/vegemite fan new tricks!) x

Em September 20, 2011 at 8:52 pm

Picked up some kerrygold buttah last night! Cannot WAIT to use it!! :) Tempted to just lick some off of a knife… haha! Love ya HEAB!!!!! :)

HEAB September 20, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Love you to Em and you will LOVE the Kerrygold…I do lick it right off the knife…or spoon for that matter. ;)

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama September 20, 2011 at 8:53 pm

What do you know about yeast extract and MSG? I’ve read that when you read yeast extract on a label it means MSG, but I’m not sure how valid that is. Do you know anything about it?

HEAB September 20, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Maryea,
Several people have asked me if Marmite contains MSG, and from what I’ve read, naturally occurring glutamate in vegetables, milk, Marmite, and various other natural foods is different from processed MSG.

Honestly, I don’t understand the science behind it all, but I do know that I love Marmite. :)

RaynaHinson September 20, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Marmite – oiy vey . . . my little sister and mother love this stuff! My moms side of the family is from England. I hate to say it but im not a fan. My mom and sister have also been to australia and brought back vegemite . Whew, its a different taste for sure !!

Holly @ The Runny Egg September 20, 2011 at 9:07 pm

I have not tried Marmite or Vegemite — but I have seen it on cooking shows (Chopped mostly) and everyone seems to be weary of it!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) September 20, 2011 at 9:08 pm

I’ve never had Marmite, but I think I’d probably like it. I love nutritional yeast, so I’m thinking it might be closely related or am I way off? haha Your grilled cheese sounds dynamite!!

HEAB September 20, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Jenn,
Nope, not way off at all – Marmite tastes like a salty nutritional yeast spread.

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) September 20, 2011 at 10:22 pm

Ok, then I am sure I will love it! Picking some up next time I see it. :)

Pure2raw Twins September 20, 2011 at 9:16 pm

can’t wait to see what one you like better :)

have fun meeting Michelle this week, I am so jealous!!! I will have to make a trip myself one time!! xoxo
~Lori

HEAB September 20, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Lori, I know – I wish you were going to be here!

lindsay September 20, 2011 at 9:27 pm

oatbran and butter and marmite oh my! way to go chuck! next up…..NEW ZEALAND!

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats September 20, 2011 at 9:32 pm

ok now I might have to try this stuff! All of that food looks delicious!

steph - VegFortWorth September 20, 2011 at 9:43 pm

I made some Marmite-baked chickpeas tonight – so good! Basically chickpeas baked in a sauce made of Marmite, tamari, brown sugar, corn flour and water. Served over veggies and brown rice. I’m so glad you posted about Marmite, otherwise I would’ve never thought to try it!

HEAB September 21, 2011 at 8:00 am

Steph,
Oh wow, you are getting creative with the Marmite. LOVE IT. Your chickpea dish sounds amazing and right up my alley.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga September 20, 2011 at 10:20 pm

Wow, you are really rockin’ the Marmite eats. I am not a fan of Vegemite or Marmite…smell alone, sorry, can’t get past it!

But I have a craving for a grilled cheese after seeing yours!

And your pics are looking pretty spiffy in this post…nice work :)

HEAB September 21, 2011 at 7:59 am

Thanks Averie. I’ve been avoiding night photos, but finally took one of my dinner since it’s getting dark earlier and earlier. I have a lightbox I made, but it’s too small. So, just surround my plate with daylight bulbs – how do you keep the bulbs from reflecting off your plates? I think I need to make some kind of light diffuser with tissue paper or something.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga September 21, 2011 at 3:21 pm

I dont use a lightbox but I have a large white cardboard tri-fold thing that I set up. Got it at Michael’s Crafts for about 10 bucks I use it on all my photo shoots that I want to look nice, submit the photos, etc b/c it reflects the light without getting too much glare.

it’s sort of like these but much bigger and stands up on it’s own; realized i dont have a pic but this is close

And then in post processing, editing the images helps of course.

And also depending on the light, playing w/ camera angles too.

there is no perfect solution but the trifold white thing really helps.

Mimi (Gingersnaps) September 20, 2011 at 11:11 pm

YAY! I LOVE Marmite!

I think it tastes really good with eggs — glad you see you’ve been rocking that! Funny thing is when I said it to some Brits they all went “BLECH! On EGGS?!” I didn’t say I’d also mixed it with almond butter too.

I made a great dressing with it — I blended carrots, tahini, a bit of lemon guice, and Marmite. Super good.

HEAB September 21, 2011 at 7:57 am

Mimi,
We were born with the exact same taste buds. I swear.

Lindsay @ biking before bed September 20, 2011 at 11:17 pm

I wish I had this post earlier so i could have worn my chucks to work. They would have been totally appropriate since its a holiday right?

HEAB September 21, 2011 at 7:57 am

Totally appropriate. :)

Maxene September 21, 2011 at 12:08 am

You are too cute. I tried vegemite once out of the jar and it was a horrible mistake. I think you have the right idea putting marmite together with oatbran. You’re tempting me . . . I didn’t really like salt until I had it on cookies. I feel like this is similar.

HEAB September 21, 2011 at 7:56 am

Maxene,
Yes! The savory/sweet combo – it’s life changing. :)

Health Bee September 21, 2011 at 12:45 am

Hi Heather,

The photos are great as usual, esp love the Marmite and Oat bran photos.

BTW, I love Marmite. They’re great with rice porridge also.

HEAB September 21, 2011 at 7:55 am

Thanks Health Bee. I love the oat bran photo too – in fact, I want to dive right into that bowl again. So yummy! :)

Emmy (Wine and Butter) September 21, 2011 at 1:30 am

But don’t forget the marmite/ nut butter and BANANA combo please please?? I promise its so super good and if, like me, you kind of get a kick out of weirding people out with your food (c’mon you’re totally like me like that, right?!) thats an extra bonus. Its got that sweet salty thing going on and I had one on rice crackers yesterday and it reminded me how good it is!!! (barf gluten free sub, but what can you do).
Love you and marmite xox

HEAB September 21, 2011 at 7:55 am

Emmy,
I won’t! Bananas are on the top of the grocery list, but we don’t go for another week or so…and yes, I’m totally like you – kind of enjoy weirding people out. Hehe. :)

Hannah September 21, 2011 at 3:13 am

I’m sorry, mousetrap?! No, that’s Tiger Toast! Because it’s black and white(yellow) striped! Please explain to me how on earth “mousetrap” makes sense. Stupid UK.

#vegemiterepresent

;)

HEAB September 21, 2011 at 7:36 am

Hannah,
You are too funny. Next post, I will grill it and call it Tiger Toast. ;)

Hannah September 21, 2011 at 8:13 am

I love that you totally get me and never get offended :D

Colleen September 21, 2011 at 5:54 am

When ever I hear Vegemite, I can’t help but think about “I Love Lucy” and her Vita-meata-vegamine!

brandi September 21, 2011 at 8:51 am

NOT a fan of marmite, but I LOVE that kerrygold cheese that i see you have in the first picture :) is it bad I can recognize the corner of the wrapper? :)

HEAB September 21, 2011 at 9:02 am

Brandi,
Bad? No! Actually, I think it’s pretty awesome. :)

Caitlin @ Vegetarian in the City September 21, 2011 at 9:38 am

way to get creative!!

Marie-Sophie September 21, 2011 at 9:57 am

:-D Vegemite is the BEST !! I’ve been to both the UK and Australia and just love this stuff … the best on some toast or crackers!! *yum* :-)

nadia September 21, 2011 at 11:15 am

all those combination are most excellent ways of eating marmite. YUM.
and by the way – there is not a doubt in my mind that once you try vegemite you will be on team vegemite. Also I need to find this stuff in america ASAP! amazon??

HEAB September 21, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Nadia,
Not sure, but I think you sent me an email with a link…off to check my inbox! :)

Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine September 21, 2011 at 11:21 am

I’ve never had nutritional yeast or anything like it…is Marmite salty, or cheesy tasting? If so I’m already on board, haha!

HEAB September 21, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Casey,
I wouldn’t say cheesy but definitely salts and fairly bitter. Pairs really well with butter or any nut butter.

Kristin @ STUFT Mama September 21, 2011 at 11:50 am

Heather- you are too funny. Now I’m gonig to have to try it. All of your creations looks so good (and different)! :)

The Elegant Eggplant September 21, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Heather, I am new to your blog and I just LOVE it!!! It’s perfect. You have a new reader! PS – never tried Marmite but so curious about it now! Maybe I will finally curb my PB addiction :)

HEAB September 21, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Elegant Eggplant,
So glad you found me and thanks for reading. Loving Marmite, and a little definitely goes a long way. Trust me, there isn’t much dipping straight into the jar with a spoon happening( like I do with PB). ;)

Jess September 21, 2011 at 1:54 pm

I just saw one of these in a local grocery store, but I can’t remember which one (mar or veg). Maybe I’ll have to pick it up next time I’m there and give it a try.

The Delicate Place September 21, 2011 at 6:03 pm

the vegemite turned me off but then you showed the broiled cheese and i cannot look away! so tasty! i’ve never been to the uk yet but i’d love to go! you studied there didn’t you?

HEAB September 21, 2011 at 7:17 pm

DP,
Oh gosh, that broiled cheese toast was excellent. I grilled the bread + marmite + cheese today, and it was even better!

I did study in England – my entire junior year of college and then went back and worked there for a few months after graduating. I miss it! Sad thing is, I don’t think I ever tried Marmite while there. My taste buds were a bit more limited back then. ;)

Jessica S September 22, 2011 at 1:55 am

Marmite rocks! Although, I think it IS an acquired taste – I grew up in Portland, OR and WOW, the brand that’s available in the States and the brand here (Sanitarium) – totally different ‘taste sensations’…it’s only taken me 4 years to come around. Never liked it…and then just one day, thought it sounded good. And it was. My Kiwi hubs could seriously eat nothing but Marmite, Jam & Cheese sammies. Lindsay, you’re coming here? RAD!!! <3 from Christchurch NZ!

HEAB September 22, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Jessica,
I know, I had no idea New Zealanders and Australians were so passionate about their Marmite and Vegemite, but I get it now. :)

Marmite girl September 22, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Love your recent Marmite postings. Please keep the different ways you are eating Marmite in the rotation. I LOVE IT! ;)

HEAB September 22, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Marmite,
Will do. :)

Marae September 22, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Delicious ideas. Nigella has a Marmite spaghetti recipe that I’m dying to try with brown rice pasta (once I get my hands on some Marmite). I think it’s just spaghetti, Marmite, butter, and parmesan. Yummm. I so miss the Marmite rice cakes, cashews, etc I used to get in England…

TeenyLittleSuperChef October 5, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Haha, you really did post a recipe for Marmite Oat Bran. I should have known :) I’ll definitely be trying it out. If it’s HEAB-approved, I’m sure it’s yummy!