Baby Salmon Cakes

by HEAB on September 21, 2011

Summer is not eating egg whites yet, and so I tried using flax seeds instead of an egg as a binder in my salmon cake recipe. It worked. So well in fact, that I can’t stop eating them myself. Summer I have been enjoying them for lunch with a dollop of sour cream each. They stay together really well and would make a great on-the-go snack if those little baby hands are good at gripping/pinching food and getting it in the mouth. Also, the cakes are moist and easy to mash into small pieces, which works well if you’re still toothless. :)

FlaxSalmonCakes2.psd

FlaxSalmonCakes_edited-1.psd
Enjoy!

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance September 21, 2011 at 2:17 pm

I love you.
1. Because I LOVE salmon.
2. Because I’m allergic to eggs and these dont have any!!!

THANK YOU!

HEAB September 21, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Brittany,
You’re so welcome. Enjoy, and I love you too. :)

Victoria (District Chocoholic) September 21, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Enjoy is right. Yum. I love salmon and I love fish-based patties…delicious.

Jennie (the gf-gf) September 21, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Yum! Reminds me of when I was in college – I ate tons of canned fish “croquettes” because they were easy and cheap but sound fancy :-) I usually bake mine, otherwise I get too impatient and flip them before they’re ready and they fall apart!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List September 21, 2011 at 2:44 pm

How old is Summer now?? Clara has teeth and I’m sure she’d demolish these…along with most every other food.

HEAB September 21, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Lindsay,
10 1/2 months and not one tooth yet! Hope Clara enjoys the cakes. Summer’s favorite lately. :)

Holly @ The Runny Egg September 21, 2011 at 3:16 pm

I love salmon patties — you’ve reminded me that I have a few cans of salmon in my pantry!

Nolita September 21, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Oooh, this looks yummy. I am definitely doing to try this soon. I bet my family will love them. Salmon patties were a favorite of mine when I was growing up but I’ve only made them a couple of times since leaving the house (oh so long ago). Thanks for the recipe!

I can’t believe Summer doesn’t have any teeth yet. I can’t be certain but I think Emi was 5 mos when she got her first tooth (and her first taste of cereal).

Sarah R September 21, 2011 at 5:00 pm

These sound fantastic! And I’ve got a can of salmon in the pantry… guess I know whats for lunch tomorrow!

Caitlin @ Vegetarian in the City September 21, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Summer is one lucky little lady!! Gourmet meals for baby :)

What a great mom!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga September 21, 2011 at 5:11 pm

They look great! And good to know you can use flax in these. Skylar didnt really eat eggs in any real quantity until very recently…almost 5 yrs old! As a baby, no white, and she turned up her nose at the yolks and same as a toddler and now..all of a sudden she likes eggs. Maybe it’s one of those things she eats with her daddy :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) September 21, 2011 at 5:48 pm

The boys love salmon patties! We haven’t made them in so long. I guess I need to change that!

katie @KatieDid September 21, 2011 at 6:49 pm

Still loving the sour cream! Yum! These would be great with tuna also I’m sure. When groceries get low I always turn to tuna, this would be an awesome way to mix that up a little!

HEAB September 21, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Katie,
Agreed. We always have a few cans of tuna in our cupboard, and I know it would taste great in the cakes! :)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) September 21, 2011 at 6:51 pm

I love salmon, yet I’ve never tried to make salmon cakes. Those sound SO GOOD! And I love that Summer is eating them. That’s fantastic. Way to go, mommy Heather!! You rock at baby eats :)

esther September 21, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Hey Heather! This recipe looks ammmazing :) One quick question though…how long will these puppies last in the fridge?

Thanks for all the great recipes and blogs on your site!

Erika - The Teenage Taste September 21, 2011 at 7:27 pm

Wow! I’m impressed – Summer already has such refined tastebuds! I’m pretty sure all I ate when I was her age were Cheerios!

Alyssa September 21, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Yum!
What a great idea, especially for a wee one!

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free September 21, 2011 at 8:08 pm

YUM! They look so yummy :D But I definitely think salmon patties require dill! That’s the way my mom made them, and they were the best.

Jess September 21, 2011 at 9:23 pm

I’ve been wondering what to make with the can of salmon in my cupboard—haha this recipe is totally what I’ve been waiting for : )

Katie September 21, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Mmm, my mama used to make salmon cakes (she called them salmon patties) when I was little and they were one of my favorite dinners! These look delicious.

Lou September 21, 2011 at 11:22 pm

We must be on the same wave-length… fishies for the babies – just made Sid some little crunchy fish ‘bites’. He loved them, and my dog enjoyed hoovering up the scraps off the floor (gross but less work for me!) Yum, I want salmon cakes for ME now, they look delish x

HEAB September 22, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Lou,
Would love the recipe for your crunch fish bites. And no apologies – I used to try and keep the dogs out of the room when I fed Summer b/c I was afraid they would start begging…now I’m like, “get in here and clean up this mess!” ;)

Hannah September 22, 2011 at 5:28 am

Ooh, that’s one point of difference between us m’dear! Whenever I buy canned salmon, I always go for the ones with bones on purpose, because I figure if I’m eating salmon I may as well go the whole hog and get the calcium from the bones :P But I know lots of people can’t stand the texture!

HEAB September 22, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Hannah,
I’ve never actually tried the bones-in. We actually have some in our cabinet, but it scared me. However, I’ve think you’ve inspired me to try it. :)

Hannah September 22, 2011 at 4:42 pm

If you’re nervous, I say mash it up reaaaaaaal good! :P

Betty September 22, 2011 at 10:06 am

I’ve been addicted to salted rice cakes with coconut oil and hummus lately. I can’t stop!

caroline lunger September 22, 2011 at 10:26 am

i will defiantly have to make these! i cannot have eggs and i live off of salmon! i need to try this, thanks soo much :) i am going to make these for my mom too because i know she will love these. I bet Summer will be making you food in no time!

HEAB September 22, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Caroline,
You’re welcome. Hope both you and your mom enjoy!

Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine September 22, 2011 at 11:31 am

I love salmon, and I love baby versions of any and all food. :) These sound delicious!

GetSkinnyGoVegan September 22, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Flax works great for that! Chia is good too at binding.
They do make a MatchMeat Salmon if anyone wants to veganize it. Although I am vegan for other reasons, I have kind of freaked out lately about the state of salmon, or any fish. It’s nearly impossible to get poison free fish!! There are no clean waters left & then the farmed fish are even worse because they feed them small fish that have poisons. And even some seaweeds, primarily hijiki, are not safe! Many other seaweed places test for heavy metals, but something about hijiki….have heard from several sources not to eat it.

critty/Orme September 22, 2011 at 3:17 pm

These sounds delicious!! Now i’m gonna have to make some….

Eden September 23, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Well…I have no plans on being toothless anytime soon, but I shall try to make these. Maybe wih egg yolks cause they get such a bad rep. ;)