A Reunion With My Favorite Pen Pal

by HEAB on September 27, 2011

Like I mentioned in my last post, my friend Kristen flew to Nashville from LA to run the Women’s Half Marathon. Kristen and I studied abroad together in London during college and have kept in touch ever since. One of Kristen’s unique qualities is that she writes actual letters and sends care packages. It’s rare that we actually email each other, and I love that about our friendship.

Some photos from our weekend together…

KrispyKreme70's.psd

Kristen requested a donut after her race, and we went straight to Krispy Kreme. I opted out of any post-race carbs but did enjoy my share of carbo loading over the weekend…

BiscuitTugOWar.psd

If you’re ever in town and looking for the real deal when it comes to southern food, you much check out The Loveless Cafe. Best biscuits in Nashville!

Jeni'sIceCream.psd

Best ice-cream in Nashville? Jeni’s Splendid Ice-Cream. It’s not local, but made in Ohio, and all I have to say is GO BUCKEYES! Many apologies to my beloved Michigan, but this is some of the best ice-cream I’ve ever eaten. They packed my bowl with Gravel Road (salted caramel with smoked almonds), Goat Cheese with Red Cherries, and Backyard Mint. Wow.

And last but not least, look where my Chucks landed on Saturday afternoon…

GrandOleOpry.psd

Didn’t know I could play guitar, did you?

Loved seeing you again Kristen. It’s been way too long!

Happy Chuck Taylor Tuesday! :)

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com September 27, 2011 at 10:20 am

Wow! What a great reunion! I miss my besties back home after reading your post. We sure do take writing letter’s for granted these days.

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List September 27, 2011 at 10:30 am

A couple of my girlfriends are running the Nashville Rock N Roll Marathon next year. Might sign up for the 1/2. We should totally meet up if I come run!!

HEAB September 27, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Lindsay,
Yes, sign up!!! We’ll go get ice-cream afterwards. :)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) September 27, 2011 at 10:33 am

Looks like a fun reunion!! My husband is from Ohio and I love Buckeyes… the candy version, LOL.

HEAB September 27, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Jenn, then you must try Jeni’s Buckeye ice-cream flavor: http://www.jenisicecreams.com/products/The-Buckeye-State-Pint.html

Rachel September 27, 2011 at 10:49 am

Aw, Jeni’s! When I lived in Columbus, OH and ate dairy, Jeni’s was definitely a worthwhile splurge. :) Their original storefronts always have lines down the block on nice summer evenings. They make really amazing dairy-free sorbet too, but I don’t usually find myself craving sorbet. Glad they’re sharing the love with Nashville!

HEAB September 27, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Rachel, Me too! :)

Maggie @ Say Yes to Salad September 27, 2011 at 11:29 am

I had no idea you played guitar! So does Bobby.

HEAB September 27, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Maggie,
Truth be told, I don’t. I think that’s one of the few times I’ve even held a guitar. I took piano lessons growing up. :)

Maggie @ Say Yes to Salad September 27, 2011 at 1:40 pm

hehe. me too :)

Errign September 27, 2011 at 11:36 am

I want to come to Nashville just to get goat cheese ice cream. Four hours…I think it might be worth it haha!

HEAB September 27, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Errign,
Totally worth it. :)

Caitlin @ Vegetarian in the City September 27, 2011 at 11:56 am

i can order ice cream online? wow. thanks for sharing Jenis!!

HEAB September 27, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Caitlin,
Yes, apparently you can. :)

Kelsey September 27, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Jeni’s is the best!!!

kathleen @ the daily crumb September 27, 2011 at 12:29 pm

i love real mail! it is such a lost art form. i still send handwritten letters and packages to friends and family and refuse to completely give in to all forms of electronic communication!

HEAB September 27, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Kathleen,
Good for you!

katie @KatieDid September 27, 2011 at 12:47 pm

goat cheese ice cream?! with cherries?! wooo.
Looks like an awesome reunion. This past weekend I also had a reunion with a couple of my best high school friends, it was so comforting to be around the people you grew up with or spent so much time with when you were younger.

HEAB September 27, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Katie,
Yes, it tasted like cheesecake – so good!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) September 27, 2011 at 12:47 pm

I want some ice cream! Sounds like a great visit Heather! Ya gotta love friendships like that, that last!

Anna @ On Anna's Plate September 27, 2011 at 1:03 pm

I love it when old friends come in town :-)

Those ice cream flavors sound crazy delicious!!

Nora @ Natural Noshing September 27, 2011 at 1:24 pm

I want some of that Jeni’s ice cream! I checked out their site and LOVE their flavors – WOW!
It looks and sounds like you and Kristen had a great weekend together – how fun!

Jessy Keim September 27, 2011 at 1:31 pm

I’m from Columbus OH and yes, Jeni’s is THE best ice cream I’ve ever eaten! I’m glad you can get some in Nashville!

Ashley September 27, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Okay, I just had to chime in about the ice cream and Ohio shout out. First, yes…GO BUCKS!! I was born in MI and lived there til I was 7, but moved to Cleveland after that, and went to OSU for undergrad. :) After leaving Columbus, I heard about Jeni’s and on my most recent trip home, I was excited to find out they opened a location 20min from my house. I definitely proclaimed it to be, hands down, the best ice cream ever. I go home next week and am hoping they have a crazy pumpkin or sweet potato flavor in the lineup!

Ana September 27, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Looks like you two had a really great time Heather!
That ice cream looks divine and I love your skirt!! :-)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga September 27, 2011 at 3:32 pm

I love the pics of you and Kristen. So awesome for you to have a friend like her and to be able to connect and share special times and chats. And dive into ice cream…the best ever? That’s high praise!

I am much more of a donut than ice cream girl. And there is something magical about KK donuts. And they taste best at 3am after a night out. Don’t ask me how I know this :)

Caroline September 27, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Oh, I am so jealous that Nashville has a Jeni’s! I frequented Jeni’s when I lived in Columbus, and it is one of the things I really miss living in Florida. Glad you enjoyed it!

The Delicate Place September 27, 2011 at 5:32 pm

i’ve eaten jeni’s! they have it at whole foods and holy crap do i love the gravel road (smokey and sweet=best combo!) lol about the last photo, the chucks automatically make you a rock star!

Pure2raw twins September 27, 2011 at 5:44 pm

love that you guys write each other, sometimes it is the simple things :)

and that ice cream parlor sounds amazing!

I have a picture with my sisters on that stage at the grand ole opry, many years ago

Lou September 27, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Woah nelly, that ice cream sounds AMAZING. Jealous. Drooling. All those flavours sound like a major mouth-party. You look right at home on stage with guitar+ mic – HEAB serenades?

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco September 27, 2011 at 8:02 pm

This is so sweet! It’s so great to meet up with people you usually only talk to through written words. I personally know how great it is to be your pen pal, and I can’t wait to meet you some day too! Love to the family. ;)

Jen September 27, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Wait – goat cheese – IN your ice cream?! First time of heard of that. I’ve always wanted to try Goat’s Milk Ice Cream though. I love the yogurt.

You play guitar! Something else I wish I could try. I have ‘tried’ before – but I have 2 left thumbs like people have feet…I wonder if I could ever pull it off…

michelle September 27, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Goat cheese and cherry ice cream?? I’m trying hard but not gettin it! :0)

Eden September 27, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Looks like someone needs to get to LA ;)
(I mean you!)

Eden September 27, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Oh you know I live in LA, right? I just wanted that comment to make sense so you didn’t think I’m creepy….even though I am.

Lindsay @ biking before bed September 27, 2011 at 11:02 pm

I heard an interview with Jenni the other day on NPR and have been dying to try her ice creams. Apparently she also has a cookbook!

Hannah September 28, 2011 at 2:49 am

Everything here makes me so happy! A true old-fashioned penpal (you’ve reminded me I need to write to my own, a lovely French lass), incredible ice creams, MUSIC! When we meet, I’ll have to accompany you on your guitar with piano/voice/clarinet :)

Lauren September 28, 2011 at 4:24 am

Oh, Heather! Jeni’s is so amazing. I ordered their four-pack of pints last year. It arrived perfectly. The goat cheese and cherries is my fave. I’d love to try the Buckeye flavor.

Shelby September 28, 2011 at 9:21 am

You studied abroad in London?! Lucky duck, I’ve always wanted to go.

You two are adorable! I’m getting paid this weekend, definitely going to set some aside for my HEAB fund ;)

Scott in Ohio September 28, 2011 at 10:19 am

Hey! Jeni’s made a blog post! Nice!

(“hello” to all the Columbus HEAB readers out there!)

Do they serve up the Buckeye State flavor there? Being the nut-butter lover that you are, you might consider making that tops on your “to try” list. :)

And, when Spring rolls back around, the Strawberry Buttermilk is unbelievable.

See ya!

HEAB September 28, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Scott,
One of the first flavors I sampled. Hello PB explosion in my mouth. Was so tempted to bring home an entire pint to share with CD…until I learned they were $10 each. Might just try to recreate here at home – a while back, two very kind readers sent me their ice-cream maker. ;)

Rachel @ I'm Loving Today September 28, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Woohoo! Go Buckeyes, indeed! I drooled over it when I lived in Columbus, and drooled even harder when I found it in a little market by my house here in Milwaukee. I guess I didn’t realize they had it in Nashville, too! Glad you enjoyed :)

Samantha September 28, 2011 at 6:02 pm

Cute pix! Isn’t it lovely to get handwritten mail? Such a small thing but it’s great. The ice cream sounds AMAZING! And you’re rockin’ that tshirt skirt, it’s adorable!

HEAB September 28, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Sam,
Yes, letter writing is becoming a lost art. :(

Jen {The Wholehearted Life} October 1, 2011 at 9:28 am

Jeni’s *is* the best ice cream ever but quitting my job meant no more $10 pints of Jeni’s for me *cry*. Thankfully…..she put out an amazing cookbook and all the recipes I’ve tried have been absolutely spot on!!!! Our fave so far has been her Kona Stout Ice Cream but we made it with out fave coffee (Organic Mind, Body, & Soul from Eq. Exchange) and a mocha porter from Rogue….OMG good!

Jen {The Wholehearted Life} October 1, 2011 at 9:29 am

Forgot to say….loving the skirt!!!!!!

Lara October 1, 2011 at 4:35 pm

I’ve heard about the Loveless Cafe! I think it was on the Food Network one time while I was getting my nails done. Wow, there seems like such awesome stuff in Nashville that not many people seem to talk about. Do you think if one were to visit for 5-7 days, there would be enough to see? :)

HEAB October 1, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Lara,
I think we could hit the highlights of Nashville in a week or so. :)

The Food Network is always on whenever I get a pedi, and I rarely go, but it’s always me and Paula Dean whenever I’m there.