Flax Oil Convert

by HEAB on September 29, 2011

First things first, I received an email from a reader asking me which brand of food processor I have, but my email keeps getting rejected by her work domain. So, to the reader, here is my answer:

Hi Reader X,

Thanks so much for reading my blog. As far as the food processor goes, I’m really not sure which brand I have as it was a gift from a friend who imports prototype appliances. However, when people ask, I always recommend Cuisinart or KitchenAid food processors. If you have a membership to Costco, I would check out their selection as they often have great deals on the Cuisinarts, both at their stores and online. Edited to Add: According to reader’s comments, KitchenAid no good. ┬áPurchase either a Cuisinart or Hamilton Beach brand processor.

Hope this helps and thanks again for reading.

Sincerely,

Heather

OK, now onto food, namely flax seeds. Remember my Fluttermon phase a few weeks ago? Well, I’m still on a flax kick, and I have some new products to share with you.

FoodsAlive.psd

Foods Alive, a family owned company in Indiana, sent me some of their Flax Crackers, a bottle of Sweet Mustard Flax Oil Dressing, and a bag of black sesame seeds. Thanks Foods Alive – I was so excited to sample some of your products after reading your inspiring story.

Lots of seed lovin’ happening around here…

FlaxSeedCrackerSalad.psd

Spinach salad with a crumbled lentil burger, flax crackers, and flax oil dressing My favorite savory cracker flavor is definitely the Italian Zest. The dressing is delicious, and honestly, I am not a fan of flax seed oil. Flax seeds? Yes, but not the oil. It usually tastes funky to me, but the Foods Alive dressing is far from funky. Add a little Dijon mustard and just a touch of sweetness, and apparently I want to pour flax oil on everything.

FoodsAliveOatBranClose.psd

Next up was a bowl of oat bran with tahini, black sesame seeds, and Maple & Cinnamon Flax Crackers. Talk about a warm bowl of fall flavored goodness…no pumpkin required people. I didn’t really taste the black sesame seeds in this bowl, but printed on the bag is a recipe or homemade tahini, and I cannot wait to try it. All the flax crackers are good – they do taste seedy, but not in a healthy cardboard sort of seedy way, you know? They are crunchy and flavorful, and I think they would convert many a flax seed hater, especially the Maple & Cinnamon flavor.

FlaxOilSalads.psd

Last but not least, pictured above is tonight’s dinner. We have guests in town from Chicago, and while Chris fried up some butterfied burgers in the cast-iron, I made a salad with romaine, a little shredded cheddar, crumbled flax crackers, and flax oil dressing. However, my favorite part of the meal (well, besides the burger) was the goat cheese potato salad. I ate two more bowlfuls after dinner. Potato salad for dessert – why not? I used Emily’s recipe (scroll through the comments for the recipe), but subbed white potatoes for red, apple cider vinegar for the sherry, and Foods Alive Flax Oil Dressing for the olive oil. Emily, you have changed my salad making life forever – I cannot believe contained zero mayo (CD is not a fan of mayo), and I can’t wait to use your goat cheese dressing combo in other salad recipes…just don’t tell my fellow southerners. ;)

Foods Alive – you make some great products. Thanks so much for sharing them with me.

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco September 29, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Flax the wonderfood! (Is wonderfood one word?) I’m so glad I’m not the only who thinks flax oil tastes off! It’s one of those things that should taste better than it does. ;)

BTW, I’m emailing you right now! Happy almost Friday!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga September 29, 2011 at 10:41 pm

Flax Alive products are great. I have reviewed quite a few of their items but never a sweeter cracker like the Maple & Cinnamon Flax Crackers. Usually they have sent me things that are more savory/garlicy/oniony. Lord knows I’d love the sweet crackers :)

And too funny…just today I have a discussion going on on my current post about food processors and Cuisinart and Kitchen Aids. Guess we both have food processing on the brain.

Have a great nite :)

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco September 29, 2011 at 11:09 pm

Hey Averie! You and Heather all in one place? What more could one want? ;)

Lou September 29, 2011 at 10:57 pm

Random – I was JUST looking at black sesame seeds at our local Indian grocery… the recipe for tahini sounds interesting, very interesting! I think I would be a fan. Flax oil is pretty funky; my girlfriend pours it on her morning cereal, ick, don’t know how she does it first thing in the morning! I can stomach it in a dressing, but yes it definitely needs some help (sweet chilli sauce and wholegrain mustard is a winner for me).

J3nn September 29, 2011 at 11:08 pm

I love Foods Alive products! I have. Few bags of their flax crackers but didn’t know they have raw sesame seeds. Good to know! I’m still on the fence about flaxseed oil. :)

Casey September 29, 2011 at 11:10 pm

The crackers sound great and love how you use them :)

Kristina @ spabettie September 30, 2011 at 12:06 am

I LOVE Foods Alive, and those maple cinnamon crackers are awesome.

potato salad for dessert – why NOT, indeed. I’ve been craving a classic potato salad lately, sounds like a great dessert :)

Health Bee September 30, 2011 at 1:22 am

Hi Heather,

Great photos as always. The lighting in the oat bran photo is great!

HEAB September 30, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Thanks Health Bee. :)

Cameo September 30, 2011 at 5:40 am

Ah, a gal after my own heart, eating more dinner for dessert!

MizFit September 30, 2011 at 5:43 am

OMG HOW DID I JUST NOW FIND YOU?!

lovelovelove.

MizFit September 30, 2011 at 6:07 am

laughing as my behemoth computer wont show headers (its from 2001)

ignore me :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) September 30, 2011 at 6:45 am

Lentil burgers crumbed on a salad are my favorite way to eat them! YUM! I’ve never tried flax oil, but I have tried hemp oil and I do like it. Even Tony liked the hemp oil. Those crackers sound really good. I’m a cracker girl all the way since I love crunch!

As for the food processors, I have a Cuisinart and love it. I used my sister-in-law’s Hamilton Beach processor this summer and I loved it. I was surprised at how good it is! It made banana soft serve quickly and perfectly pureed!

HEAB September 30, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Thanks Sarena,
Good to know about the Hamilton Beach model. I’ll add that one to my list of recommendations. :)

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List September 30, 2011 at 7:21 am

Available at Whole Foods???

HEAB September 30, 2011 at 7:37 am

Lindsay,
You can type in your zip code here to find a store near you: http://www.foodsalive.com/store-locator.html. My Whole Foods doesn’t carry the Foods Alive products, but some smaller health food and wellness centers in the area do.

Lindsay @ biking before bed September 30, 2011 at 8:25 am

Maybe I need to try this dressing… I am definitely a flax oil hater. My dad used to add it to smoothies growing up… and they were always slimy.

Holly @ The Runny Egg September 30, 2011 at 9:17 am

I’ve never tried flax oil — the name just didn’t sound good to me.

I usually just like ground flax added to smoothies, cereal and sprinkled on salads. Thats about it!

Caitlin @ Vegetarian in the City September 30, 2011 at 10:51 am

yummy! That potato salad sounds fantastic.

I wonder what else you could sub goat cheese dressing in?

HEAB September 30, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Caitlin,
I’m thinking chicken, tuna or salmon salad. Maybe tempeh for you? :)

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood September 30, 2011 at 11:23 am

I love flax! Never tried flax oil before though, I’m still trying out the coconut oil, one thing at a time… ;)

Alyssa September 30, 2011 at 12:09 pm

It all looks so good!
At the store this morning I saw a bottle of coconut-flavored flax/chia oil. I told myself I’d check it out next time, so I wouldn’t go over my grocery budget today. :)

HEAB September 30, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Alyssa,
Yeah, that doesn’t sound cheap. ;)

kathleen @ the daily crumb September 30, 2011 at 12:27 pm

those burgers look fantastic! i wish every day i had a husband who could cook :)

LizAshlee September 30, 2011 at 1:51 pm

I am inspired to make crackers!! :) Everything looks fabulous!

Love your blog! :) Happy Friday!

The Delicate Place September 30, 2011 at 6:25 pm

hmmm i’m unsure about these alt oils (ive seen avocado, flax, hemp seed etc) and i wasnt sure if it was worth the price. i use grapeseed, coconut & evoo. so what do you think yay or nay?

HEAB October 1, 2011 at 10:15 am

DP,
Yay!!! It’s so hard to find a decent salad dressing without soybean or canola oil, and so I usually make my own with olive oil. However, I would definitely buy the Foods Alive flax seed dressings. Apparently, a few small health food stores and wellness areas sell them here, and I’m on the hunt since we finished ours off already. :(

Susan September 30, 2011 at 10:40 pm

Thanks for the food processor thoughts. Sorry that my email was being wierd. But thanks for the tip here!

HEAB October 1, 2011 at 10:13 am

Susan,
No worries – glad you saw this post. Another reader wrote me and said Cuisinart is definitely the way to go, and another said she loves the Hamilton Beach brand. Stay away from KitchenAid. :)

Ameena October 1, 2011 at 11:16 am

I love flax but it totally gives me a stomach ache. So frustrating. :( Good skin plus a stomach ache or bad skin but no stomach ache? Life decisions…

I’m with CD on the mayo – it makes me cringe!