CocoOatie Muffins

by HEAB on October 1, 2011

As a Foodbuzz Tastemaker, I was given the opportunity to receive and review a selection of kitchen products from OXO.

OXOProducts.psd

My gift box included an OXO Egg beater, two POP Containers (which I’m obsessed with and promptly filled with coffee and oat bran), 2 Angled Measuring Cups, A Food Scale with Pull-Out Display, A Batter Bowl, and a Fine Zester/Grater.

My part of the deal: To create a blog post, sharing how I used my new OXO Egg Beater. However, I like a good challenge, and decided I would create a recipe using all products received. Mission accomplished…

CocoOatie Muffins

CocoOatieMuffinsCropped.psd

The idea for the muffins hit me while I was pouring Quaker oat bran into the POP container and noticed a recipe for oat bran muffins on the back of the box. So, I decided on oat bran muffins, but with a HEAB twist…

Whisking the coconut cream, a life changing recipe from Sarena.

CoconutCreamWhisk.psd

I used the Angled Measuring Cups, Batter Bowl, and Egg Beater again to combine the wet and dry ingredients.

CocoOatieMuffinEggs.psd

The Zester/Grater worked great for the chocolate.

CocoOatieMuffinChocolate.psd

CocoOatieMuffins.psd

The muffins turned out great, perfectly moist and sweet, and I love the layer of coconut cream + dark chocolate hidden in the middle. Seriously thinking of throwing a girls brunch just so I can serve this recipe. Wanna come over? :)

Thanks OXO! Your Egg Beater is comfortable to use, efficient, and super easy to clean. It will get much use in my kitchen as will all the products you sent.

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli October 1, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Ohh, I love the “surprise” of the coconut cream inside! Be there in an hour? ;)

HEAB October 1, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Heather, sounds good. Bring some pancakes! :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) October 1, 2011 at 3:26 pm

OH MY GOSH! Those look amazing! I’m loving the idea of a coconut cream center! We have those pop up containers and love them! They hold the odds and ends of beans, rice, pasta, oatmeal…you name it, they are in those!

katie @KatieDid October 1, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Where’s the cream filling? There it is….!
Those look amazing heather!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga October 1, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Awesome recipe using ALL the tools.

Ironically I *just* got this package in the mail from the UPS man. He brought it on Saturday. He must have known I needed to bake or cook this weekend :)

I love the coconut cream center. Pretty much anything with a filling-in-center makes me super happy!

HEAB October 1, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Averie,
The XOX products are great. Seriously loving the POP containers. I want more!

Eden October 1, 2011 at 4:05 pm

I say the word, “vagina” on my blog so foodbuzz doesn’t like to pimp me out with cool swag. So I’m jealous.
but I still love you :)

HEAB October 1, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Eden,
Now, I’ve been known to drop the V word a few times…penis even more so. Doesn’t matter though, b/c when I come visit you and Deb in LA (which will happen someday!), I’ll bring the POP containers – Deb can fill them with smoothies for us. Always wanted to try the infamous PB&J! :)

kathleen October 1, 2011 at 4:58 pm

How is their food scale. I have been thinking about gettng one. Apparently, baking bread requires exact measurements and weighing them is more accurate.

HEAB October 1, 2011 at 8:59 pm

Kathleen,
The scale is great – very user friendly, and I love how the digital part pulls out from the base. Perfect for when you are weighing large bowls or cups. I own a smaller scale, and sometimes, it’s hard to see the numbers.

lindsay October 1, 2011 at 7:18 pm

I think you comquered that challenge well my dear! the coconut filling is brilliant.
:P

Mimi (Gingersnaps) October 1, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Ooo, coconut cream and full-fat coconut milk are SO yummy! Those muffins look great!

Felicia (Natural + Balanced) October 1, 2011 at 8:41 pm

ouhh these look so good! love the idea for the filling, and oat bran gives such a good texture to muffins

HEAB October 2, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Felicia,
I know – and you know, I think this is the first time I’ve ever made muffins with oat bran. I think? Anyway, they turned out so good – and yes, great texture!

Hannah October 1, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Oh Heather! I can always count on your to create magical recipes that use everything my heart loves and desires – coconut flour, chocolate, oat bran and maple syrup! Actually, this creation of yours is pretty much my morning breakfast except in muffin-ish form :P

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List October 1, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Be there in about 4 hours!

HEAB October 2, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Lindsay, I’m still waiting for you – only 4 muffins left. ;)

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco October 2, 2011 at 12:10 am

Okay, I’m making these now. Those products look great!

Samantha October 2, 2011 at 3:06 am

Aw, I miss girl time and having friends…wish I could join in the brunch! I love the egg beater, how neat. We’ll definitely been trying these. The boys devoured an entire pan of HEABlet bars w/ chocolate chips last week…thanks for continuing to supply your readers with great recipes!

HEAB October 2, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Samantha,
Really, b/c Summer now refuses to eat the HEABlet bars. Hehe. At least she loves the baby salmon cakes! :)

Totally wish you could come over for brunch!

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free October 2, 2011 at 6:32 am

This looks seriously amazing. Unsweetened chocolate and coconut cream is just my combo. Oh. my. goodness.

And I’ll come over to your brunch….if you make an extra pan of those for me to devour!

HEAB October 2, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Alex,
OK, I’ll make a sugar-free batch just for you. :)

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count October 2, 2011 at 8:03 am

OOOOO!! They sound so good. Makes me think of a Mounds bar, which are my favorite. I’ll have to try this!! Thanks for the idea!!

Ana October 2, 2011 at 8:18 am

I am making these this week for sure! I made the banana almond butter muffins this past week and they were gone in no time, it is one of our favorites!
My husband eats muffins for breakfast everyday so I make them every week and keep in the freezer. The cocooatie muffins will definitely be making an appearance this week at our breakfast table!! (seriously can’t wait, they look so good with that coconut filling on them!)

HEAB October 2, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Ana,
So glad you’re going to try the muffins – they’re so yummy. Even CD thought so, and he’s not always a fan of my baked goods (Usually b/c I use stevia which he does not like!). Anyway, please let me know what the fam thinks!

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather October 2, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Mmmmm hidden coconut cream sounds perfect! What a fun package to get too.

Lou October 2, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Coconut and chocolate, what a heavenly pair. So want to make these – cursing oven that is refusing to work. Batter bowl looks like a good idea… gotta love cooking paraphernalia, or as I like to call it – ‘kitchen cholesterol,’ just keeps blocking up my cupboards as I collect it. There’s no cure.

HEAB October 2, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Lou,
Oh my gosh, kitchen cholesterol – so very true. Love that Batter Bowl, but I had to shove it in some random cabinet. We have no more room for anything in our kitchen!

Meghan @ StruggleMuffins October 2, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Holy deliciousness! These are next on my list – it’s as if my favorite foods got together and had a muffin love child!

Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel October 2, 2011 at 6:42 pm

now that i have my nutnaturals stevia on hand, these would be lovely to try with them. i dont have to assume, because i am positive i know just how delicious that coconut cream layer is. i can’t help but get excited whenever i see a muffin post- actually it just hit me, these would be great in pancake form too!!

xoxo <3

HEAB October 2, 2011 at 6:51 pm

Kelsey,
Yes, yes they would. Coconut cream filled pancakes – enjoy your stevia. I have a feeling you will. :)

Alyssa October 2, 2011 at 7:43 pm

So what time should we be there?

Lea @ Healthy Coconut October 2, 2011 at 8:09 pm

You had me at Coconut. That is all :)

Never made muffins with oatbran before. Do they taste gritty or cakey? I love oat bran so I think I would make it with either texture, especially with coconut cream inside.

HEAB October 2, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Lea,
I’d never made muffins with oat bran either. I was afraid they would turn out dense and heavy, but they’re actually light, moist, and cake-like. I’m in love. :)

Kristin @ STUFT Mama October 3, 2011 at 12:24 am

Okay, those muffins look AMAZING! I must try them now! And I’m addicted to coconut cream since I read about it on your blog a couple months ago. I have those measuring cups and LOVE them. :) You are one lucky gal to get that cool gift box. I’m a little jealous. :)

MizFit October 3, 2011 at 5:17 am

uh wow?

I laugh Im not a foodie…but yet I covet all the cool foodie stuff!!!

(yep got the email :) )

Jen {The Wholehearted Life} October 3, 2011 at 9:06 am

Oh how I love my OXO angled measuring cups. And I *wholeheartedly* agree…that coconut cream recipe is a game-changer /grin.

Have a great day! Jen

Tracey October 3, 2011 at 9:14 am

Happy Fall, Heather!
I love oxo products, although we don’t have the egg beater on the zester! I’m guessing the muffins are probably gone by now! I know if all us loyal readers lived closer you would have had a houseful with that invite- more for the company than the muffins!
Baby Evelyn (9 months this week) is eating much better these days, thanks for all the tips. She loves to crawl backwards (kinda like Summer did), but I see that there is hope that she may figure out forward some day! For know I will continue to pull her out from under the chair and the end table :)
Have a beautiful Monday!

Caitlin @ Vegetarian in the City October 3, 2011 at 9:19 am

Wow those look amazing! I would love the coconut + dark chocolate combo! Congrats on the cool new swag ;)

Candy @ Healthy in Candy Land October 3, 2011 at 1:13 pm

I can’t tell you how excited I was to see a muffin recipe without any wheat flour! I am so making these this afternoon. How fun to test out all those products–I love Oxo. I have several of their tools and I use their salad spinner just about every single day. Just curious, is the POP container plastic or glass?

B n B October 3, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Love that filling! Great idea.