Team Allegiance

by HEAB on October 4, 2011

Remember my jar of Marmite? Well, there’s a new yeast extract spread in town (there’s something you don’t hear everyday).

VegemiteToast.psd

Lou sent me my very own tube of Vegemite all the way from Australia. Thanks Lou! (Please check out Lou’s blog, Fridge Scrapings if you get a chance. Loving her recipes!). As soon as the Vegemite arrived, I squirted a little on some buttered toast. It reminded me of Marmite, but more bitter and not as sweet. This past week, I’ve been trying different combos with both Marmite and Vegemite, in an attempt to decide which spread I prefer.

TigerToast.psd

I thought Hannah might disown me as a friend if I didn’t try her beloved Tiger Toast pictured above: toast with butter, Vegemite, and sharp cheddar grilled to melted perfection. Hannah – you were so right about this combo. Delicious!

Next up we have Marmite Spaghetti, or my version anyway. This combo was recommended by Kristy, who actually pledges allegiance to Team Vegemite.

MarmiteSpaghetti.psd

I melted a TBSP of butter with 1/2 tsp Marmite over low heat and then poured it over roasted spaghetti squash, onions, mushrooms, and spinach. I didn’t have any Parmesan, and so I grated cheddar cheese on top. WOW – the combo of the melted butter + Marmite = one amazing sauce. Try it!

Today’s lunch featured the following:

Avocado&Vegemite.psd

Toast with mashed avocado and Vegemite (recommended by several).

PB&NanerMarmite.psd

Toast with peanut butter, banana, and Marmite (recommended by Emmy). Emmy, I have three words for you: I love you.

So, which is it? Marmite or Vegemite? Honestly, I love them both, but I think I love the British version of Marmite a little more. And on that note, me and my Chucks must run before someone starts throwing kangaroo dung at me. ;)

Happy Chuck Taylor Tuesday!

Katie October 4, 2011 at 3:12 pm

This might your weirdest food combo yet. And I mean that in a loving way, of course. I just don’t know if I can get into this….

But, I’m not one to back down, so I’m on a mission to find some!

Heather A. October 4, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Roses are red, violets are blue, Marmite you’re brown and I love you!
Taken from the back of a marmite jar :)

I might have to get some vegemite though to make sure I’m giving it a chance. Also I love all of the different ways you can eat it!! I have never thought of anything other than marmite and butter on toast (or just a sandwich). I am going to have to try a few of these for sure! (Maybe I will try the pasta sauce and not tell my roommates so they will try it. heheheh)

HEAB October 4, 2011 at 7:22 pm

Heather A, do it – the melted butter + Marmite + cheese combo is soooo good. Honestly, I think anyone would love it. Just tell them what’s in it after the fact. ;)

Heather October 5, 2011 at 9:20 pm

I tried the avocado combo. So yummy!

Kristin @ STUFT Mama October 4, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Okay I have never wanted to try Vegemite until now. I am sooo impressed with all your creations. How od you come up with all that stuff? The spaghetti creation is my favorite! :)

HEAB October 4, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Kristin,
I had much input on this topic. Apparently people are very passionate when it comes to their yeast spreads. Who knew? ;)

Lou October 4, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Yay! Wow, you have come up with AMAZING combos there, I’ve never tried vegemite on spaghetti – your creation has me sold though. I have used it as a ‘stock’ to flavour a casserole though. Having being brought up on Marmite, I’ll let you know that Vegemite is a slow-burner, it grows on you more and more. Let’s just say that yeast spreads in general = YUM. (How gross does the term ‘yeast spread’ sound!?) Thanks for the shout out!

lindsay October 4, 2011 at 4:39 pm

yes!!! team vegemite!! I pledged them too. I love the vegemite/banana/honey combo. A regular in our house. Its a close call for marmite and vegemite. Both are pretty similar, just depends on how you like to spread it (oh that sounds bad!). So glad you are hooked woman!
LC

kristy @ ksayerphotography October 4, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Some of these combinations are things I would never have thought to try – peanut butter, banana and marmite?!
I love vegemite with;
- cheese – any kind works, (especially vintage cheddar!) but try it with cream cheese or cottage cheese, it works a treat!
- avocado, of course
- carrot sticks
- and my ultimate vegemite sandwich: vegemite, cheese, tomato and lettuce.

HEAB October 4, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Kristy,
LOVED the spaghetti, and yes, several have recommended the tomato sandwich combo. Must try that one, but might have to wait until tomatoes are in season again. Love a fresh garden picked tomato – nothing like it!

Hannah October 4, 2011 at 5:14 pm

*phew* Our friendship is safe! I don’t have to disown you ;) Although you’ve actually given me an idea, lady! I didn’t mention that Tiger Toast is open-faced. I forgot that in America “grilled cheese” means a sandwich! In Australia, it means a slice of toast topped with cheese popped under the grill (broiler, to you?), and so the Tiger Toast thing is that sometimes you put the cheese in stripes over the vegemite, to make the tiger effect, before grilling :P But the flavour would definitely be the same, so I’m glad you like it!

S’okay that you like Marmite more, too. I’ll accept that, seeing as you’ve given both such a good hard go :D You stick with your crazy-sweeter yeast extract, and I’ll stick with my hard-core no-sugar one ;) (Yes, I’m still poking fun a little…)

HEAB October 4, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Hannah,
Ah yes, grilling for you = broiling to us. I thought it was called Tiger Toast b/c of the stripes left on the bread from the grill. Whichever way, still delicious, but melted cheese makes everything delicious in my opinion.

I’ve been told that the more I eat Vegemite, the more I’ll favor it – so I’ll keep trying. After all, it worked for unsweetened chocolate. ;)

Hannah October 4, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Your way makes perfect sense too :)

Teehee, okay, I concur. You just keep eating it until you force your brain to prefer it ;) (Actually, that’s how I came to like oysters! Hasn’t worked for orange chocolate, though…)

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats October 4, 2011 at 5:20 pm

I have got to get on this bandwagon! That looks so good! I just discovered nutritional yeast this weekend and I’m IN LOVE!

HEAB October 4, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Katie,
Then I’m pretty sure you would love Marmite, and I hope you find some soon! :)

robyn jones clark October 4, 2011 at 10:43 pm

so it the taste similar to nutritional yeast? i definitely like the nutritional yeast.. trying to decide if i want to try one or the other.. :)

HEAB October 5, 2011 at 6:44 am

RJC,
Sort of, it’s like nutritional yeast with a salty kick. A little goes a looonnngg way. Oh my gosh – try it with melted butter over anything. I love it!

Michelle @ Turning Over a New Leaf October 4, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Not gonna lie, the name of that reminds me so much of vitameatavegamin!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga October 4, 2011 at 7:05 pm

The last pic..I thought for a second that was molasses syrup on bananas and I was all excited. Not gonna lie, I will not be eating either of the vegemite/marmite combos…more for you that way :)

HEAB October 4, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Haha, thanks Averie. :)

Michaela October 4, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Such an extraordinary post! Those combos seem great and I am really thinking of buying some marmite now…

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) October 4, 2011 at 7:32 pm

I HAVE to get my hands on some of that goodness! Dang, I had spaghetti squash tonight…wish I had some vegemite or marmite!

katie @KatieDid October 4, 2011 at 8:15 pm

So the question is… can you buy this at a normal grocery store?? I’m more than intrigued to try this, and that melted butter sauce sounds incredible!

HEAB October 4, 2011 at 8:17 pm

Katie,
I actually ordered my Marmite off Amazon, but they sell it at Harris Teeter, our regular grocery store here in Nashville.

michelle October 4, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Don’t forget to try vegemite on toast with sliced tomatoes and fried eggs! That might make you change your mind :)

HEAB October 4, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Michelle,
Yes, just wish tomatoes were in season as I know I’d love that combo!

critty/Orme October 4, 2011 at 8:22 pm

This made me smile – THANK YOU!! The last part w/ bananas, reminded me of when I was living in ATL and most every morning for breakfast – I would make this special PUBLIX bread (thick, grain filled bread but perfect for this bfast meal) topped with Almond or Peanut Butter/sliced banana – toast at low to medium then drizzle local honey on top. AMAZING BREAKFAST! Made me look forward to waking up….

HEAB October 4, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Critty,
I remember you talking about that combo and eating it everyday! I miss our Atlanta meet-ups. Gosh, weren’t those fun weekends? Did you ever try Vegemite when you lived in Australia. I’ve been meaning to ask you. Oh, and how did the Cultural Fest go? We had friends in town, and they left Saturday. So, we didn’t make it. So sorry – really wanted to go!

critty/Orme October 4, 2011 at 9:02 pm

HA! I love that you remember the details of our youth ;P Totally fun weekends – not matter what we did….

I’m not sure you could be in Australia for 6 months and NOT run into vegemite at some point along the way – so YES, i did try it because it was automatically on many things served. (like sandwiches) I wasn’t too fond of it at the time but part of me thinks that is b/c it was kinda forced on me. If I discovered it on my own, I would probably love it from the start. All that said, I haven’t tried it since I was there which is about 12yrs now! I’m willing to give it another shot on my own terms. ;)

Celebrate Nashville was a big success and I enjoyed just being there — sorry you missed it but there is always next year. It seems to get better each time! My dad had a blast trying all the ethnic food available….it was kinda funny. I’ll make sure you don’t miss it next time. :)

B n B October 4, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Mix it with cheese and salsa and I’ll eat either one of them. Of course, I think I should go to Australia personally and try them both :)

Ameena October 4, 2011 at 9:35 pm

I am so intrigued by both of the spreads. I think a little trip to Australia is in order…

I love your quirky food combinations Heather. I especially love that you are willing to put them all out on the Internet, whereas I keep my quietly hidden away because I’m too scared people will think I’m crazy!

Jenell October 4, 2011 at 9:56 pm

As an American living in Australia for more than three years, I’m embarassed to admit, we have not grown to love Vegemite..I can’t get past the smell, and my kids call it “poopamite” =)

HEAB October 5, 2011 at 6:40 am

Jenell,
Uh-oh, they seem pretty passionate about their Vegemite Down Under, and I wouldn’t share your “dirty” little secret. Hehe – don’t worry, I won’t tell. :)

Health Bee October 5, 2011 at 2:02 am

I love Marmite, and look forward to trying out Vegemite. :-)

Love the peanut butter, banana and marmite combo!

Jillian @ ladolcevitavegan.wordpress.com October 5, 2011 at 3:10 am

This is such a cool post! I didn’t know that you could make actual recipes with vegemite and marmite! I have tried both, and couldn’t stomach either, but maybe that was because I was eating it off a spoon, not in a cooked dish!!

HEAB October 5, 2011 at 6:37 am

Jillian,
Oh gosh, yeah, MUCH better on a sandwich or in a recipe. Sub Marmite/Vegemite in any recipe that calls for salt or soy sauce. YUM!

Lisa October 6, 2011 at 5:12 am

As a native Aussie, I feel very saddened when I hear peoples’ vegemite and marmite experiences ruined by overestimating the portion sizes. We give this to our little babbies as a teeny tiny little scrapes on their toast and then build them up to higher portions when they develop a taste for it.

Heather, I got a few heart palpitations looking at how much black stuff is on the avo toast above . Whew, hehe you really HAVE aquired a taste for it quickly hehe.

HEAB October 6, 2011 at 7:16 am

Lisa,
Haha – yeah, I think that photo is a little deceiving. I was trying to make it look all pretty and perhaps did get a little too happy with the squeezable Vegemite atop the avocado. Still ate it right up though…although my rings were a little tight when I woke up the next day. ;)

Japple October 5, 2011 at 4:26 am

But the tube stuff isn’t the same as proper Vegemite in a jar! Vegemite needs to breath! Seriously.

Food combo suggestion: buttered toast with vegemite topped with (bite by bite) sweetened porridge.

HEAB October 5, 2011 at 5:53 am

Japple,
Lou sent a jar as well – I just love the squeezable factor. I’ll keep trying and will definitely add some sweetened porridge to my next meal of buttered toast +Vegemite. I like the way you think! :)

Emmy (Wine and Butter) October 5, 2011 at 4:28 am

Dude – crusing through the comments I’m pretty depressed at the lack of people commenting on the delishness of the banana/ marmite/ pb combo!!! its SO yummy!!!! Even your agreement can’t seem to sway the masses!
Big thanks for the shout out and the love… I’ve gone back and re-instated my whole health history on the blog now… Louis is just going to have to deal with being married to someone who pours her heart out on the internet. He knew I was a ‘handful’ from the get-go though… right!?!
I love you toooooooo!!!
PS – we just got back from an AMAZING holiday in Italy, so awesome but the gelato was RUBBISH. like inedible kind of gross. I think we may need to come to michigan!! xoxox

HEAB October 5, 2011 at 5:51 am

Emmy, NO, come to Nashville and go to Jeni’s with me. It’s amazing, although they don’t have a PB/Banana/Marmite flavor on the menu: http://jenisicecreams.com/. Maybe we can talk them into adding it? ;)

I loved your story, and I know it will speak to many.

Jessica Ann October 5, 2011 at 6:40 am

I love them both, but I think I prefer Marmite. It has a stickier texture that I love. My favourite way to have it is: Piece of toast. Smear with Marmite and mushed avocado, then top with a fried egg and some black pepper. Marmite and eggs are best friends.
Yay!

HEAB October 5, 2011 at 6:54 am

Jessica Ann,
Agreed. Must try the egg + avocado + Marmite combo. Lunch maybe? :)

Caitlin @ Vegetarian in the City October 5, 2011 at 9:25 am

Tiger toast sounds verry interesting! I feel like i would need something in there to offset the salty flavors. Maybe some sliced green apple??

HEAB October 5, 2011 at 10:06 am

Good call Caitlin – I like it. :)

Halley (Blunder Construction) October 5, 2011 at 10:36 am

What a brave group of readers you have! I have only gone so far as trying to prank friends with Vegemite in college. I must be missing the point though, because I trust your palate!

Marmite girl October 5, 2011 at 11:16 am

I was just eating a spoonful of marmite and peanut butter right before reading this wonderful post. ;)

Wow, you have really elevated the use of Marmite. I must branch out and try some of your wonderful combos.

Secretly, I am happy that you are team Marmite. :)

Marmite girl October 5, 2011 at 11:33 am

I just ate the banana, peanut butter, marmite combo! It is outstanding!!! Wow! :)

Emmy (Wine and Butter) October 5, 2011 at 2:46 pm

YAHOOOOO!!!! xox

HEAB October 5, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Marmite Girl,
Isn’t it though? Ate it again today. I think it’s my newest addiction. Glad you enjoyed it. Another point for Team Marmite! ;)

Chris October 5, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Hey Heather!
Love your blog and look forward to all the interesting, informative and just plain cool things you blog about. My daughter has the coolest pair of custom designed Chuck Taylors thanks to you! I purchased the book Sugar Nation because of your great interview. You’ve done it again, I’m so curious about these yeast spreads that I’m heading off to the market to see if I can locate one or both of them….and since you have sooo much influence over me can you motivate me to mop the kitchen floor….it so needs it : )
Thanks for the information and inspiration ~Chris

HEAB October 5, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Chris,
Oh my gosh – what a nice comment. Thanks so much for reading – I’m always encouraged when I receive such positive feedback. So, thanks for reminding me why I started blogging in the first place, and as soon as I motivate myself to mop my own kitchen floor, I’ll email you! ;)

TeenyLittleSuperChef October 5, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Girl, I thought I made some weird food combinations, but your’s may even top mine. I would have never thought to put Marmite on my peanut butter and banana toast, but you’ve definitely intrigued me to give it a try. I’ll just have to try it when my husband is nowhere around. He already thinks I’m kinda whack with my choice of snacks. Any chance you’ll post a Marmite Oat Bran recipe? I would totally be down with that :)

HEAB October 5, 2011 at 7:36 pm

Teeny,
Already did: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2011/09/20/a-trip-across-the-pond/. You should totally try it…when your husband isn’t around. I made sure to do the same. ;)

Laura October 5, 2011 at 5:07 pm

You need to try New Zealand marmite to have a properly informed opinion, I think. Since in my totally biased opinion, it’s much better than British marmite. :)

HEAB October 5, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Laura,
Yes, I hear it’s much sweeter, and I’m sure my sweet tooth would love it. :)

Marmite girl October 6, 2011 at 11:37 am

Enjoy your blog break. When you come back, I hope you will have more Marmite recipes to share. Take care.

Georgia October 6, 2011 at 5:55 pm

Team Vegemite FTW!! Aussie, Aussie, Aussie! ;)

Maria @ Beautiful Busy Bee October 7, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Honestly, I’ve never tried marmite but my friend from australia gave me some vegemite to try and i couldn’t stand it!!! It’s too salty for my taste. Maybe in a tiny quantity it would enhance the flavor of a grilled cheese sandwich, but yeah I’m not a big fan of it. Glad you like it though! :)

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day October 11, 2011 at 8:00 am

yum yum yum.. the avocado/marmite toast is sooo good!.. and I am very intrigued by the marmite in ice cream.. hmmm I’ll bet it’s pretty good!