Hipster Dipster

by HEAB on October 13, 2011

I’m back and have decided a few things regarding HEAB. I like blogging and will post when I have something to say. However, I can’t keep up with comments and emails, and it is not my style to not read and respond to comments & questions. Really, what is the point of sharing your life with others if you never interact with them? So, I will only keep comments open on my most current posts, and I’ve taken my personal email address off the blog. I created a FAQ page, and if you don’t find the answer to your question(s) there, simply leave me a comment, and I will answer. Now, onto the good stuff…

I often make meals that require dipping just so I can eat tortilla chips. Blue tortilla chips = my favorite spoon.

Some dippable meals to share…

HipsterDipsterLunch.psd

The yellow dip is Emily’s Goat Cheese Potato Salad made with chickpeas instead of potatoes. So, goat cheese hummus kind of sort of? The green dip is Lou’s Ghurty-Guac made with regular whole milk yogurt instead of Greek…which reminded me of a chilled cucumber soup I made once. Weird, but good. Again, it’s really just an excuse to eat the chips.

The next day, I made more guac with 1/2 an avocado, 2 spoonfuls of sour cream, and salsa. No need to complicate guacamole in my opinion. I then proceeded to refill my bowl several times with salsa and enjoyed chip after chip after chip after chip.

Still some chips left in the bag, and so today, I made salmon dip using Emily’s goat cheese recipe yet again, but subbed canned salmon for the red potatoes. Good stuff.

BlueChipsInSalmonDip.psd

I think I will throw a party and serve nothing but dips. It will be BYOC – Bring Your Own Chips. Spoons available upon request but so not necessary.

CarliCraves October 13, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Oh my goodness, I love your twist on Emil’ys goat cheese potoato salad. I saw that on her site and loved the idea but not the carbs. Well done! This is officially on my “To Make” List!

Lou October 13, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Welcome back! Any excuse to eat chips – I like your style.

Kristina @ spabettie October 13, 2011 at 2:57 pm

I want to be invited to that party!! I love your spin on the potato salad – genius! the chickpea is a wonderful thing.

I will bring my own chips, and spoon…

Bid October 13, 2011 at 3:03 pm

we know you love us.. ;-)

Andrea@WellnessNotes October 13, 2011 at 3:03 pm

I love dips, and I often make dips or turn leftovers into things that can be dipped. For lunch today, I had leftover chili with some Greek yogurt and I dipped it with tortilla chips. So good. I love the chickpea/goatcheese salad/dip idea.

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free October 13, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Yay! Welcome back!

I love your party idea! Like seriously, I think it would make a fabulous party. You could do all sorts of dips: nacho cheez, salsa, guac, black bean, hummus, red pepper dip, artichoke dip, etc. And for dessert: dessert hummus! And cookie dough dips!

HEAB October 13, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Alex,
Move to Nashville and let’s plan parties together! :)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga October 13, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Welcome back and I love your first paragraph. You need to do what you need to do for you, for your time, for your sanity, family, interests, and everything else.

I know that it’s hard to find the balance, fit it all in (just posted about it all on Oct 1 for some Oct goals I wrote..we talked about it on email I think) but yes, you have a beautiful little girl and a hubby who adore you and your time is better spent with them than replying to emails and comments from strangers when your loved ones are left to wait for you. Good for you for keeping your priorities straight :)

And fabulous dips. YUM!

charlotte October 13, 2011 at 3:18 pm

While I share your love of blue corn tortilla chips, I had to comment to say that I love your new plan for HEAB. It sounds very reasonable and sane and I know how hard it can be to stay that way when it comes to blogging;) Well done, my friend!

Katie October 13, 2011 at 3:24 pm

I echo Charlotte and Averie above me, and the DIPS!! You know I love me a good dip, but unlike you, that’s what I’m in it for. the dipper is really just an edible spoon. I’d use just a regular old spoon if it were more socially acceptable.

Jennie (the gf-gf) October 13, 2011 at 3:27 pm

So glad you’re back! I totally understand that you have a life outside of your blog, but I was missing the daily dose of HEAB :-)

I love your party idea! I go back and forth between tortilla and potato chips, right now I am in potato chip mode. Some Kettle Foods salt and pepper chips would go great with dip …

michiko October 13, 2011 at 3:32 pm

hey, you don’t know me, but i’ve read your blog every day and i’m happy, you are back again…i have/had anorexia (still working on/against it…)and it was your site, that made the first change in my mind…thank you so much…greetings from germany, michiko

HEAB October 13, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Michiko,
Hope all is well in Germany. Thank you so much for reading my blog and for your kind words. So encouraging. You reminded me why I blog, and I needed to hear it. :)

the delicate place October 13, 2011 at 3:38 pm

i don’t even need a vehicle. my finger or spoon usually does the dip (obviously not if i’m sharing with company) it’s pretty much expected that i will eat it straight up. random: i cannot eat ice cream unless i have fixins on top to sprinkle whether it be nuts, chocolate, seeds, dried fruit etc. hand in hand like chips in dip :)

HEAB October 13, 2011 at 7:16 pm

DP,
Love my ice-cream, but it’s always so much better when something chunky is involved. Need to chew on something or other. I get it.

Lisa October 13, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Yay! I’m so glad you’ve decided to post again. I read your blog everyday, I think you have a really healthy attitude about food, fitness, health and life. I love seeing your interesting meals and super cute pictures of Summer.

Also, I have to try that potato salad recipe, yum!

HEAB October 13, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Thanks Lisa – that means a lot. :)

Tabitha October 13, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Great to see you back! I also had a blog breakdown this week, I’m tiny compared to you but somefolk email me 800 word emails – I can’t cope!
Whole Foods is opening in Scotland next month – can’t wait!

Tabitha October 13, 2011 at 5:06 pm

Great to see you back! I also had a blog breakdown this week, I’m tiny compared to you but some folk email me 800 word emails – I can’t cope!
Whole Foods is opening in Scotland next month – can’t wait!

HEAB October 13, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Tabitha,
I know – as much as I would to spend my days communicating with blog readers and other blog friends, I just don’t have the time. It’s a hobby, not a job, and my family, dogs, house, my own sanity, etc., need to come first. Trust me, I’ve had several breakdowns this past year. And so exciting about Whole Foods – hope they carry some good almond butters! :)

Katie October 13, 2011 at 5:35 pm

MMM, can I come to that party?!

And, so funny that you emerged today because I had a dream about you last night! I dreamed I was leaving packages of tofu on your front lawn. I know, I know…what the heck?? Glad your back!

HEAB October 13, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Katie,
Haha – best comment of the day. That is so random. Oh my gosh – hilarious!

kathleen @ the daily crumb October 13, 2011 at 5:41 pm

my heart did a little dance when i saw HEAB pop up on my google reader :) your posts, long or short, funny or serious, always bring a ray of sunshine into my life.

HEAB October 13, 2011 at 7:12 pm

Thanks Kathleen. :)

GrainFreeGroupie October 13, 2011 at 5:43 pm

the salmon dip looks like such a great idea and perfect to have on hand for babies too! i’m always searching for proteins that can be made ahead and RTG! your blog is a great resource and so fun to read, but it’s supposed to be a fun and happy outlet for you too! do what you need to do to keep it that way :)

HEAB October 13, 2011 at 7:12 pm

GrainFreeGroupie,
Swap you some of the salmon dip for your almond flour apricot cookies! And yes, the dip was a big hit with Summer. She ate it right up.

Rachel October 13, 2011 at 6:16 pm

1. I so very wholeheartedly approve of your decision!
2. If I ever had to choose a last meal, it would be something I could eat with blue corn chips.

HEAB October 13, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Rachel,
If we were stranded on an island together and had to choose one food to share, I think we’d survive. :)

PT October 13, 2011 at 6:21 pm

I’m usually a lurker but I want to let you know how glad I’m to see you posting again! I love your chip and dip party idea :) How about some savory pumpkin dip?

HEAB October 13, 2011 at 7:07 pm

Thanks PT, and yes, bring on the savory pumpkin dip – perhaps topped with a little goat cheese or maybe some curry? Yum!

Gena October 13, 2011 at 6:48 pm

I was happy you were taking some “you time,” my friend, but am always equally happy to see you back in action. I’d love to make this with my vegan goat cheese!!!

HEAB October 13, 2011 at 7:06 pm

Thanks Gena, hope all is well in DC. I love reading about your med school experiences. Quite fascinated by them actually – always wanted to be a doctor when I was younger, and I so admire you for going back to school.

Hannah October 13, 2011 at 7:25 pm

The party will finish with your chocolate chip hummus and cocoa tortilla chips, right? :)

I think it’s wonderful that you’re figuring out a way to balance the blog world with the myriad magical other parts of your life and who you are. Here’s to being whole, rather than fragmented by feelings of obligation. xo

HEAB October 13, 2011 at 7:49 pm

Thanks Hannah, and yes, that sounds like the BEST way to end my dip party. :)

katie @KatieDid October 13, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Well, I’ll admit as pretty much my favorite blog I was very sad to see you go. I’m happy you seem to have found a good balance for this point in your life. Whose to say that won’t change down the line, but as life changes our priorities absolutely have to change as well. So glad to see you back (at least part time)!!

HEAB October 13, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Thanks Katie. :)

lindsay October 13, 2011 at 8:38 pm

i am just happy reading your words and seeing your life unfold. Its great sharing that with friends (yes I consider us friends). and never feel like you have to email me back or respond to a comment. Unless I beg!
xxoo
p.s.
Nice job Lou on that dip!

HEAB October 14, 2011 at 10:12 am

Lindsay,
Duh, of course we’re friends. Good friends united by Marmite…and lots more. :)

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco October 13, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Heather! I missed you. I’m not going to kepp bugging you through email. It is so important to spend time in the “real world” and I am thrilled you’re doing that. I just thought I’d drop in to say hi and to give you a virtual hug. *virtual hug* ;)

HEAB October 14, 2011 at 10:11 am

Thanks Kelly. Hugs to you. :)

Samantha October 14, 2011 at 12:32 am

Lovely to get to continue keeping up with you and your crew! No pressure to respond here. :)

I think the BYOC party idea is one of the best things I’ve heard in a long time. While you’re at it, check out Chocolate Covered Katie’s cookie dough dip made with chickpeas. So yum!

HEAB October 14, 2011 at 10:10 am

Samantha, Yes, I’ve made cookie dough hummus before and ate it with chocolate Food Should Taste Good chips – I’d definitely serve it as dessert at my dipping party! Here is the recipe: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2011/02/11/flourless-cookie-dough-green-fries/

Gretchen October 14, 2011 at 6:24 am

Glad your back! Did you find the brown rice english muffins? If you can’t, I would be happy to send you some!!

HEAB October 14, 2011 at 10:05 am

Gretchen, No, but only because I haven’t looked yet. On a brown rice bread kick these days, but yes, need to find the English muffins. Thanks for the reminder! :)

Lena October 14, 2011 at 8:03 am

Good to set boundaries Heather. I am so grateful to you and want you to continue to have a healthy balanced life : ) Cheers to that!

HEAB October 14, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Thanks for the encouragement Lena. I often forget how important boundaries are – they keep me sane! :)

Nolita October 14, 2011 at 8:35 am

Yay! Glad to see you back and with boundaries. You are always so helpful and kind but there are only so many minutes in the day… ;.)

HEAB October 14, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Thanks Nolita – feels good to be back! :)

Nikki October 14, 2011 at 10:29 am

I’m glad your back! I’m proud of you for setting your boundaries, and sharing your life with us still.

HEAB October 14, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Thanks Nikki. :)

Sarah @ See Sarah Eat October 14, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Sounds like a good plan! Blue tortilla chips are my favorite too ;)

Jen@FoodFamilyFitness October 14, 2011 at 1:25 pm

YAY! Welcome back!!!! I was so happy to see a new post from you in my google reader :)

HEAB October 14, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Thanks Jen – that makes me smile. :)

{ 1 trackback }